Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2015 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was intense for the finale, especially with Yuta's role.

Poor Ito..getting corned again. Gotta give Narugino some credit though for her interference in this. What a brave girl

A fitting ending though imo and was a bit sad at the end. I want that OST though.
Jun 25, 2015 12:05 PM

Apr 2012
OH GOOD GOD!
It was hell of a good ride. This episode and entire series, i mean.
Suppose, i'll give it 10 out of 11. Even though all this ecchi stuff. My-my.

After playing 999 previous week i was almost sure that Uchikoshi can't make sudden twist as i see it. But no! Damn, Yuuta DIED. Well, i don't think it's true end, because we haven't seen Chiranosuke's perspective.
Well, i hope to see working emulator for PSV as soon as possible to play Punchline the Game.

I will assume that i was right about time travel after all...
http://imgur.com/a/8bTji#2
After Nakazawa's tweets i almost lose faith in it...
I know that my English isn't good so, please, bear with me.
Jun 25, 2015 12:08 PM

Jul 2009
Little disappointed here.. The fact that Uber seems to transfer with the spirit, shouldn't Guriko's W transfer too? If they would of just let everyone go back to their bodies, it should of solved everything. Even more, she wasn't dead yet at that time; accept making her into a W just for the healing benefit (I actually do not know why they where against becoming W other than the fact it implied aligning with evil Guriko; In that situation, I'd totally tell them to make me a W but that I wasnt joining them lol)

Also, rather than going all the way back to the start, go back to the last time Chiyoko and Pine where alone together, and explain to bodied Pine when and where the Uber happens.. The operation completes regardless of whether she Ubers, so just delay that event and they've accomplished the ultimate happy future, since Guriko even straightens out.. no need to relive the entire series of events.
Jun 25, 2015 12:11 PM

Jul 2014
One word: Bravo.
This was the only good episode this whole series imo lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2012
And so Pine gave Chiyoko her body back and forced Guriko to live on in his, sacrificing himself for his childhood friends. A downer ending to be sure, but maybe the other timeline Pine will live to see the brighter future...one can hope. This series was probably the most surprising of the season. The early episodes were very deceptive in tone, and only in hindsight hint at the complicated plot that came about. Calling them misleading is an understatement. I'm glad I stuck with it, had a good story and artstyle, as well as cast. 7/10
Jun 25, 2015 12:16 PM

Aug 2010
They actually killed the main Yuuta off :O Didn't see that coming. Props! That just gave a +1 in my rating.

Loved the farewell scene with him and Chiyoko. Really touching and the music was nice.

Dat Triple KO XD All bad guys REKT at one moment XD Dat faclon punch Chiyoko gave tho!

Rabura with her hair down is HAWT :L

So Chiranosuke got reincarnated or something? XD I hope Mohi eats him someday :P

Chiyoko in her real body (Yuuta's) is really cute <3

8/10 definitely improved a lot in the second half. Based Mappa
Jun 25, 2015 12:16 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The emotions throughout this episode was simply amazing.......Brilliant finale

8/10 for me
Jun 25, 2015 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
kirby_422 said:
The fact that Uber seems to transfer with the spirit, shouldn't Guriko's W transfer too?

It's not. H-virus and W is applied to the body, when Uber is to mind. Question about why Rabura infected with Hercules left open until the game.

kirby_422 said:

Also, rather than going all the way back to the start, go back to the last time Chiyoko and Pine where alone together, and explain to bodied Pine when and where the Uber happens.. The operation completes regardless of whether she Ubers, so just delay that event and they've accomplished the ultimate happy future, since Guriko even straightens out.. no need to relive the entire series of events.

Really common thing in all those time travel stories. Yuuta should become Chiranosuke to guide himself to become Chiranosuke. (just an old my theory, though)
Jun 25, 2015 12:19 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm not sure what happened with Chiranosuke there. Someone explain?

Otherwise a great show with a really good finale. Pine sacrificed himself for Chiyoko, that's sad. :/

8/10
Jun 25, 2015 12:24 PM

Jul 2010
Pine was quite the man to sacrifice himself in order to let Chiyoko live on. It was fine that Chiyoko and Pine refused to accept the W's power as that would basically mean to give in to the "evil" even if the two would end up benefiting from it.

When the song kicked in with the two parting ways, it was a wonderful scene. :/

It was nice to see Chiyoko in her true form. Also on just how Pine is still alive and would attempt for an even better future. Seeing Chiranosuke would make me think that the past and future is connected, it does support why Chiranosuke is so eager to help.

A series that began to be surprisingly good at some point. 8/10.
Jun 25, 2015 12:25 PM

Jun 2012
I had the biggest change of heart about this anime. Started out as annoying fanservice anime that I disliked and ended with really interesting story full of twists that I loved. From 6 to 8.

Didn't expect they would end it like that. I expected happy friendship ending for everyone, so I am even more glad that they did it this way instead.
Jun 25, 2015 12:28 PM

Feb 2015
Well that was a really sad ending, didn't expect Pine to die
Jun 25, 2015 12:39 PM
Nov 2013
Awesome finale. I can't believe how much this improve from the beginning of the series. I'm very curious to see the alternate ending in the video game we will never see in the United States.

7/10
Jun 25, 2015 12:40 PM

Mar 2014
I knew they had to do something about 2 Pines, but it still stings to have the MC die ;~;

Glad at least Chiyoko got her body back, but it's SO weird seeing Yuta being a girl! We've followed him as a boy this entire series, but when the body acts like it's biological gender it just looks so weird (because I keep seeing Yuta's face as a boy)...

So the disembodied Yuta had to leave to start the entire time-loop from the beginning. I'm still going to hope that he somehow gets his body back from Guriko in the future. I know Guriko needs to live and repent, but that's Pine's body darnit! Dx

Was surprised that Rabura had a role besides just being a body for Pine/Yuta #2! Really shocked me when she suddenly started to exorcise Q-may :O
Jun 25, 2015 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit. My sides.

A fucked up ending, yet satisfying. What a punchline! (Didn't reach Ever17 levels of mindfuckery, but still cool).
You met my expectations, Uchikoshi. Now I shall proceed to buy the game.

For those who want more of Punchline:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/23/zero-escape-writer-adapting-punch-line-anime-into-a-ps4-and-vita-game/
http://nichegamer.com/2015/06/first-details-for-punch-line-game-interview-with-kotaro-uchikoshi/

Yes, this japanese cartoon is planned as a multimedia project from the beginning. Deal with it. (Though I wish they made the anime later).

Guriko probably was a subject of Project MKUltra.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

The MAPPA staff foreshadow Chiyoko and the cat.

Hopefully the game gets localized by Aksys/NISA/Xseed or other publishers. Hyped to see the different timeline scenarios coupled with a hundred endings with 200+ hours of gameplay.
removed-userJun 25, 2015 12:51 PM
Jun 25, 2015 12:49 PM

Apr 2012
7/10

Wasn't expecting much out of this series but i enjoyed every episode. The action scenes were well animated, and i honestly enjoyed it more than the recent UBW action scenes lol. The art style was refreshing

The plot was wacky, but managed to work itself out

Jun 25, 2015 12:51 PM

Jun 2014
Well that was an intense and emotional finale. It was sad to see Yuuta die. Although this anime got better in the second half, overall, I personally thought it was rather mediocre. 5/10
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 25, 2015 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, Yuuta. What a powerful self-sacrifice to be stuck in that desolate loop forever.

I guess fans of the idol group "She's May" will just think that Mikatan got plastic surgery with her back in her original body and wearing what I presume to be a wig.
Jun 25, 2015 12:57 PM

Sep 2013
So what was the deal with the cat again? :(

If only they did more action sakuga scenes earlier :( 7.5/10 rounded to 8/10
Jun 25, 2015 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
StevenHu said:

I guess fans of the idol group "She's May" will just think that Mikatan got plastic surgery with her back in her original body and wearing what I presume to be a wig.

Mikatan used the Face Changer.
Jun 25, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2014
Whoa unexpected finale, Pine chose to switch body with Chiyoko and let her live.. o.o
One of the surprises of the season I would say. I had no expectations whatsoever when i started watching it, but beside the obvious pantsu service It has been pretty enjoyable and funny series to watch.
Jun 25, 2015 12:59 PM

Jan 2015
9/10

Didn't understand what happened to Chiranosuke :/

Dat OST!
XenocrisiOct 15, 2015 12:22 PM
Jun 25, 2015 1:00 PM

Aug 2013
Jorjz said:
StevenHu said:

Mikatan used the Face Changer.

Ah.

Breast reduction surgery then.

Oct 2014
Awesome Episode, yet a bit sad, I didn't expect Pine to die, really unexpected.
The OST at the end was very good, hope it gets released soon with the theme song aswell.
Overall I found Punchline one of the best show of this season and a 9/10 suits fine.
Excellent art and animations, Excellent OST, Good Plot, Awesome dubs.
Mappa did fine once again.

Mar 2008
9/10 Such a good ending & anime.
Jun 25, 2015 1:02 PM

Feb 2014
Imo it was a good last episode and a good ending too, even if it was still a bit sad.
8/10 loved watching the series.
Jun 25, 2015 1:06 PM

Nov 2013
I didn't expect Pine to die tbh. I thought they would all get their bodies back :/.

8/10
Jun 25, 2015 1:09 PM

Apr 2012
Jorjz said:
The MAPPA staff foreshadow Chiyoko and the cat.

Well, that's actually makes more sense if some details will not change in game. But if cat wasn't lying about loop number, then i'd say it's Guriko who Chiranosuke. She atoning her sins.

I want PSV emulator... .________.
Jun 25, 2015 1:12 PM

Jan 2015
Harem end for Chiranosuke
Jun 25, 2015 1:12 PM

Nov 2012
That's was actually a good ending.

Hopefully, he will succeed at some point "to a supremely happy and peaceful future." LOL
Jun 25, 2015 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
YMMS said:

Well, that's actually makes more sense if some details will not change in game. But if cat wasn't lying about loop number, then i'd say it's Guriko who Chiranosuke. She atoning her sins.

I want PSV emulator... .________.

Guriko is still alive and kicking though.

You should support the developers when you can!
Jun 25, 2015 1:16 PM

Mar 2014
Just so people know the True Ending (Supremely happy and peaceful future) is going to be in the Game version, that's what i read anyway.

Anime 8/10 it had its ups and downs but was awesome.
Jun 25, 2015 1:28 PM

Jul 2014
The series stepped up in the 2nd half but overall it was still just an alright series.
Jun 25, 2015 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
Pine gave Chiyoko her body back for her to continue to live on.

Chiyoko looks cute in her original body.

I felt bad for Pine/Yuuta being dead!
Jun 25, 2015 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
Does anyone else realize that Pine's (Yuta) life is forever stuck in a loop of conflict and death? To ensure the current future he must possess his body of the 21st of December and go through that whole shit storm again only to die in Guriko's body. Then the Pine that was kicked out of his own body on the 21st must then go back in time and kick start the same events again and then die and repeat. That's actually pretty depressing when you think about it that way. (  ゚,_ゝ゚)
Jun 25, 2015 1:38 PM

Sep 2013
drendren said:
Does anyone else realize that Pine's (Yuta) life is forever stuck in a loop of conflict and death?

It's more like he went back to make a 100% happy future for everyone with his current knowledge.
Because there is no longer a need for a loop since the meteor is destroyed.
He went back on purpose.
Jun 25, 2015 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Two things didn't show up later in the first episode's flashforward.

Maybe these are game exclusive scenes.
Jun 25, 2015 1:40 PM

Dec 2009
Very straightforward ending, for the better or for worse. I can't really decide, other than that I prefer the first half a lot more. The visual novel will probably be an improvement regardless, however.

Still.

Good show!

And Uchikoshi works well with anime, even if this was a lighter story in terms of framing.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jun 25, 2015 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
ichii_1 said:
drendren said:
Does anyone else realize that Pine's (Yuta) life is forever stuck in a loop of conflict and death?

It's more like he went back to make a 100% happy future for everyone with his current knowledge.
Because there is no longer a need for a loop since the meteor is destroyed.
He went back on purpose.

But that doesn't make any sense. The meteor still exists in the past and the only reason they were able to arrive at a future where the earth was not destroyed was because of him going back to the past ie. possessing child rabura and possessing his own body on the 21st. He doesn't have a choice, he has to go back because if he didn't the meika would've never been made and there would've never been a Pine to fight off the W's.
Jun 25, 2015 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Marow said:

And Uchikoshi works well with anime, even if this was a lighter story in terms of framing.

Mostly video game anime, generally suck (I'm looking at you Persona). They either try to recreate the game’s original story in the chosen medium, or retcon it into something entirely different that hopefully fit the medium better while trying to stay true to the original stories’ themes.

Punchline manages to overcome this difficulty by keeping the game mechanics without breaking the suspension of disbelief.
Jun 25, 2015 2:09 PM

Dec 2009
Jorjz said:
Marow said:

Mostly video game anime, generally suck (I'm looking at you Persona). They either try to recreate the game’s original story in the chosen medium, or retcon it into something entirely different that hopefully fit the medium better while trying to stay true to the original stories’ themes.

Punchline manages to overcome this difficulty by keeping the game mechanics without breaking the suspension of disbelief.

No doubt about that. A lot of it is probably thanks to the game not even existing yet, but being written at the same time as the anime.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jun 25, 2015 2:12 PM
Oct 2014
I'm kinda confuse regarding Guriko. "He" was friends with Pine/Yuta and Chiyoko and goes bad after some major suffering. During the final battle, when Chiyoko was nearly dying after punching Guriko, he is all of a sudden calm and does that Uberfield thing, helping them? Wasn't he going on saying how they wouldn't understand him and nearly try to kill them all just moments before? Then there was that scene where he almost IMMEDIATELY showed regret and sorrow after Pine sacrifices himself for Chiyoko. I know he still cared for them (in some way) and they had reminiscent memory scene, but the shift to redemption and regret I felt was too sudden (the way the anime played it).

Basically, I felt Guriko's change from "his" antagonistic role was too sudden and abrupt.
Wished for a better transition.
bkim999Jun 25, 2015 3:05 PM
Jun 25, 2015 2:20 PM

Apr 2014
I'm a sucker for these kind of bittersweet endings. Honestly I never expected Yuta to die like that.

This show has been such a great ride. Glad I stick with it till the end.

Solid 8/10
Jun 25, 2015 2:22 PM

Nov 2014
Just ... so stupid end. Before middle of series i hardly understand things. But right after it becomes more and more interesting. And i even didn't expected of such ... bad end. Why bad ? At least because it was all comedy series, with some romance.

And i like so much such anime moments, when MC is going to be striked by someone or something, and he/she just close his/her eyes. And, by the way - it was sarcasm. It was sarcasm in every damn word.

Z4k said:
I'm a sucker for these kind of bittersweet endings. Honestly I never expected Yuta to die like that.

For the end i have only one question, will Pine return his body or not. I suspected that something wouldn't go right when he rejected. And at the end we have that we have
kseon12Jun 25, 2015 2:29 PM
Jun 25, 2015 2:29 PM

Feb 2012
Shit, looks like i gotta play the ps4 game to get the "True" ending. But who knows if that will ever get localized.

Good anime, 8/10.
Jun 25, 2015 2:33 PM

Mar 2013
MEH.

4.5/10
_junoJun 25, 2015 4:08 PM
Jun 25, 2015 2:37 PM

Jan 2015
This show is still 7.09. Wow.
Jun 25, 2015 2:38 PM

Apr 2015
Was quite unsure about this show at first, but it proved really delightful. Somewhat of a happy end. 8/10
Jun 25, 2015 2:42 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Xenocrisi said:
This show is still 7.09. Wow.

It's going up though steadily. Faith in humanity somewhat restored.

I'm looking at some opinions on MAL and Reddit and the ones that talk bad about this show, most of them just scream ''I feel dumb'' or ''I am dumb'' for me, it's too funny.
Jun 25, 2015 2:46 PM

Nov 2013
It was fine, and my complaints about the show are not of its first half, but rather, antagonists I felt were developed and a few too many shounen cliches. But a good watch, and I hope the upcoming VN comes stateside.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2015

267 by Ronninn »»
Apr 3, 8:23 AM

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2015

120 by Desaturate »»
Feb 17, 3:46 AM

Poll: » Punch Line Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

96 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 27, 2022 10:29 PM

» Does anybody else think the Nandala Gandala is the equivalent to the Kama Sutra?

TokyoSanchez - Apr 17, 2015

6 by Rnonsenseguy »»
Jun 3, 2022 3:23 AM

» Please, Play The Game

removed-user - Sep 5, 2019

0 by removed-user »»
Sep 5, 2019 6:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.