Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which sequel insulted what came before the most?
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 22, 2015 9:46 AM

Dec 2014
Sword Art Online 2. Looking at a crying girl in a cave is way too much for me. She was crying for like 2 episodes.

Jun 22, 2015 9:47 AM

Jul 2013
Would've been more interesting if the thread was like what sequel surpassed it predecessor.
Jun 22, 2015 9:56 AM

Jun 2007
Tenshi_Shura said:
Would've been more interesting if the thread was like what sequel surpassed it predecessor.

I was intending to make that thread instead but there are only a handful of titles I can even think of. Birdy Decode S2 and FMP: The Second Raid... and that's really it off the top of my head. I think others would say that Clannad sequel I haven't watched. Better for discussion, though, for sure. There are a few others I can think of - Angel Heart, KOR: Summer's Beginning and Tenchi's third movie - but they'd actually fit better in this thread in terms of rating averages. Maybe others have more ideas. This thread kinda highlights that there aren't too many sequels that match prequels in anime, much less surpass them, though.
Jun 22, 2015 10:06 AM

Mar 2015
leave this fucking name in here, i hope not only me remember this name:
Hayate no gotoku can't take my eyes of you. FUCK YOU MANGLOBE! FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU!

OT: Oreimo special and s2 are pure destroyer of my enjoyment in this series.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 22, 2015 10:13 AM

Sep 2014
I think Gundam 00's movie, A Wakening of the Trailblazer can be added to the poll.
I personally liked it and it didn't disappoint me at all, but majority of people seem to disagree, they dislike it (just look at the scores, despite being a sequel it's so much lower).
Jun 22, 2015 10:20 AM

Aug 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
Tenshi_Shura said:

I was intending to make that thread instead but there are only a handful of titles I can even think of. Birdy Decode S2 and FMP: The Second Raid... and that's really it off the top of my head. I think others would say that Clannad sequel I haven't watched. Better for discussion, though, for sure. There are a few others I can think of - Angel Heart, KOR: Summer's Beginning and Tenchi's third movie - but they'd actually fit better in this thread in terms of rating averages. Maybe others have more ideas. This thread kinda highlights that there aren't too many sequels that match prequels in anime, much less surpass them, though.

Monogatari 2nd season is pretty amazing.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 22, 2015 10:21 AM

Jun 2011
Psycho Pass 2.

Jun 22, 2015 10:32 AM

Apr 2015
Mushishi sequels.
Jun 22, 2015 10:33 AM

Aug 2014
Mr7Beans said:
Mushishi sequels.

All the mushishi series where on a similar level for me. They all had good and bad episodes but I watched them all together so I see no distinction.

Jun 22, 2015 10:36 AM

Mar 2015
black1blade said:
Mr7Beans said:
Mushishi sequels.

All the mushishi series where on a similar level for me. They all had good and bad episodes but I watched them all together so I see no distinction.
mushishi S2 are much darker than S1, i know lot of people get dissapointment. but i think season 1 also have dark moment, so i don't surprised with season 2. both of them are equal good.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 22, 2015 10:51 AM

Apr 2014
i voted School Rumble 2 because it seemed like they were running out of material to me. Like instead of a story the later episodes just became mini side-stories of the various characters. They all weren't out doing things together like in season 1 or earlier in season 2. It was still funny I suppose.
Jun 22, 2015 2:06 PM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:
black1blade said:

mushishi S2 are much darker than S1, i know lot of people get dissapointment. but i think season 1 also have dark moment, so i don't surprised with season 2. both of them are equal good.

I enjoyed the darker stories tbh. Those last few episodes that where broadcast where excellent.

Jun 22, 2015 2:13 PM

Mar 2015
black1blade said:
Unyilkdr said:
I enjoyed the darker stories tbh. Those last few episodes that where broadcast where excellent.
the end of mushishi sequel also have dark story. maybe you will enjoy it.
Jun 22, 2015 2:16 PM

Oct 2014
Aldnoah/Zero hands down

Edit: Dammit I haven't noticed DtB Gemini and now I can't change my vote perfect
Jun 22, 2015 3:26 PM

Aug 2014
Tokyo Ghoul root A was an insult to the amazing mangaka that brought us Tokyo Ghoul.
Jun 22, 2015 3:33 PM

May 2015
TG (anime) is shit, and TG root A is even worse.

FUCK YOU PIERROT
Jun 22, 2015 4:01 PM

Feb 2010
From the ones that are listed and that I have seen it's probably Darker Than Black 2 or possibly Eden of the East or Chuunibyou.

DTB was just too different in both directing and writing from season 1. It abandoned the semi-episodic formula, went for more drama, didn't have as many appealing characters and still ended inconclusively in many ways. Not having most of the good things from season 1 while still failing to deliver a somewhat satisfying conclusion is about the worst combination for a sequel I can think of.

I never actually watched the 2nd Movie of Eden of the East that is listed, but the first one already made me completely lose interest in it. The focus pretty much changed and the combination of genres that made the series so appealing to me just wasn't there anymore. I can't remember too many details at this point, but I remember it being kinda boring and less captivating and intense than the main series. I normally never leave franchises unfinished, but this movie really left a bad impression for me to never attempt to watch the second movie.

Chuunibyou S2 just felt so very unnecessary from the start.I dropped it a few episodes in because it had basically just reset everything in terms of character development and interactions and while that state worked for the beginning of season 1 a big part of that was that it lead to the developments of the finale and after that it just felt very uninspired and lame to return to that just because it worked with season 1. A sequel should build on the prequel and not rinse and repeat the same thing. What works as a package in one season is something different than what might work for the sequel and this franchise really shows that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 22, 2015 4:13 PM

Jan 2013
AironicallyHuman said:
OkayCaim said:
Please define "actual movie" and explain why Ghost in the Shell 2 isn't one.

My comment was sarcasm, but if you want my full answer: a proper movie is when Mamoru Oshii restrains his ego and focuses on making an entertaining movie, as opposed to letting his ego run rampant to the extent his movies and characters become devices for him to force whatever he wants down viewers throats, everything else be damned. Conversations consisting of famous quotes and a a fetish for those dogs with flappy ears = GitS2. Not like it isn't a legit inclusion: a .40 gap between the first and second movie.
I found the movie entertaining, more so than the previous and also; what's wrong with creating movies to express an ideal or ask a moral rhetoric? The first Ghost in the Shell was also a device for Oshii to express his "ego" as you call it, Ghost in the Shell 2 was just more direct.

Conversations consisting of famous quotes and a a fetish for those dogs with flappy ears = GitS2
Now you're just downplaying it. There was a lot more to the film than you think. Read into the film nerd.
Jun 22, 2015 4:40 PM

Feb 2014
The last Sengoku Basara series. The one not made by Production IG. I mean, wow, what even was that trash D: I mean the original series was far from stellar but Judge End really took the piss and ruined everything that make the series enjoyable and shat on everything Prod. IG has done.
Jun 22, 2015 5:06 PM

Jan 2014
u should had Kakumeiki Valvrave 2nd Season that was soo....
+1 vote for eureka seven ao, i really liked eureka seven, got soo hyped for a sequel and then, well that happen...
Jun 22, 2015 8:24 PM

Jun 2007
CDXX said:
DTB was just too different in both directing and writing from season 1. It abandoned the semi-episodic formula, went for more drama, didn't have as many appealing characters and still ended inconclusively in many ways. Not having most of the good things from season 1 while still failing to deliver a somewhat satisfying conclusion is about the worst combination for a sequel I can think of.

Chuunibyou S2 just felt so very unnecessary from the start.I dropped it a few episodes in because it had basically just reset everything in terms of character development and interactions and while that state worked for the beginning of season 1 a big part of that was that it lead to the developments of the finale and after that it just felt very uninspired and lame to return to that just because it worked with season 1. A sequel should build on the prequel and not rinse and repeat the same thing. What works as a package in one season is something different than what might work for the sequel and this franchise really shows that.

Someone actually willing to detail their thoughts at length!?

Not only was DtB2 different in every way imaginable as you said... for me the greatest sin was how it butchered the few remaining good things about the show: Hei and Mao. Hei became a drunk hobo, refusing to wear his cool cosplay attire, and Mao became... an ugly flying rat? In addition, Yin wasn't even in the series and Misaki became an obsessive virgin. Why? All so a little girl/cloning could take center stage. WHY!? And the end was like the pisstake cherry on top. I swear a space car flew off at the very end... but, yeah: in summary, like you said, it discarded everything good about the series then ended as unsatisfying as humanly possible for good measure.

About Chunoobu, I only had to glance at the MAL average and reviews to know something was amiss. I only 6'd the prequel and couldn't see how they were gonna take it forward. It reads like they didn't. At all.

Imaishi said:
I think Gundam 00's movie, A Wakening of the Trailblazer can be added to the poll.
I personally liked it and it didn't disappoint me at all, but majority of people seem to disagree, they dislike it (just look at the scores, despite being a sequel it's so much lower).

Already listed Destiny. Destiny was rated lower and some people have voted for it already, plus since they're in the same universe (?) but different universes, awkward to do the 'and/or' thing.

OkayCaim said:
I found the movie entertaining, more so than the previous and also; what's wrong with creating movies to express an ideal or ask a moral rhetoric? The first Ghost in the Shell was also a device for Oshii to express his "ego" as you call it, Ghost in the Shell 2 was just more direct.

You're welcome to like the film. Some people must or else it would match my 4/10 score as an average. But I think you're putting it lightly by just saying 'a little more direct'. In GitS1 there were two scenes where Oshii went a tad overboard (the boat with Bayou + end) in terms of existential dialogue overload but the rest of his message was conveyed through Motoko's projected loneliness and atmosphere. In contrast, all of GitS consisted of forceful quotations. It pulled me out of the narrative. I don't even remember what the story was since there was little of that and so much of quote exchanging.

Oshii's an excellent director, but only when he keeps his ego in-check. Otherwise, Sky Crawlers. Not saying there wasn't more to GitS2 than I saw, just that how it was presented got in the way to the extent I didn't care.
Jun 23, 2015 12:23 AM

Apr 2013
Definitely Dragonball GT
Jun 23, 2015 12:27 AM

Dec 2013
otakubloodshed-3 said:
Tokyo Ghoul root A was an insult to the amazing mangaka that brought us Tokyo Ghoul.

Didn't he do the story boards for season 2?
Jun 23, 2015 2:19 AM

Mar 2012
people might hate me for this but:
Clannad After Story
Maybe it's because I had really high expectations for it because of it's high rating; a lot of people praising it and because I really liked the first season. But most part of AS felt boring as most good characters here written out of the story and the ending was horrible. Still had some very sad episodes so I still really like it though; so was more like disappointing but still good.

Worst was actually Suzumiya Haruhi S2 (endless eight made me almost ragequit the entire franchise) and the the new currently airing season: why did they have to make a spin off of the worst character :(
Also really disliked Genshiken Nidaime compared to the first 2 seasons because there where to many fujoshi
KhalanJun 23, 2015 2:25 AM
Jun 23, 2015 2:46 AM

Jul 2014
OreImo specials.

I don't think you can get more insulting than that.
Jun 23, 2015 4:45 AM

Aug 2014
Darker than Black because it was really rushed if you ask me and the ending was far more confusing than S1.

Or psycho pass 2, most of the characters were rather boring and the new MC inspector was just annoying and dumb at every single time in the series. Kamui was decent but nowhere close to being as good as Makishima was.
Jun 23, 2015 5:13 AM

Sep 2014
What's with all the Ryuusei no Gemini hate, it wasn't really that much worse, while there were some stuff I didn't like as much, at the very least it was much more consistent than the prequel. I did prefer first season but not by much.
Jun 23, 2015 5:24 AM

Dec 2012
I watched the OVAs before watching the sequel, so I wasn't confused. Hei's character in it, makes sense, after the events in the OVA, I guess people just didn't like the change in character. I think the sequel is better than the first, because it changed the narrative from semi episodic, which I liked, and the cast is a lot more interesting this time around, Hei's character felt unpredictable, and from what I remember the action was better.

I think people wouldn't hated as much, if the OVAs were released first.
Jun 23, 2015 5:29 AM

Sep 2014
Yeah that may be it, I guess it's the people who watched it in release order, and with a long break at that.
I watched it all (OVAs before the sequel too) over like 3 days and it was cool, didn't find it confusing at all.
Jun 23, 2015 6:13 AM

Dec 2013
Haruhi
/thread

Endless Eight was a fucking unfunny joke
Jun 24, 2015 7:27 AM

Jul 2014
Psycho Pass 2 got rid of eschewed everything great about the first one for cheap shock factor and a boring new cast
LoveLikeBloodJul 5, 2015 4:38 AM
Take care of yourself

Jun 24, 2015 8:28 AM

Aug 2014
Unyilkdr said:
black1blade said:
the end of mushishi sequel also have dark story. maybe you will enjoy it.

Yeah I meant the sequels.

Jun 24, 2015 8:51 AM

May 2009
Too many of these to choose from.

To name a few:
1. Chu2Koi 2. Not that I hated it, but I hoped for a kiss between Yuuta and Rikka, after the huge buildup in their relationship. Also, why introduce a rival when you don't use her as intended and shove her aside at the end?

2. Haruhi 2009. Again, I liked it, but I will admit that Endless Eight wore me down. Animation also wasn't exactly stellar (because K-ON! got priority).

3. Psycho-Pass 2. To me, it didn't have the same feel as the first season and as such, I wasn't as motivated to keep watching it.

4. Hayate no Gotoku: CTMEOY. They should never have given this to Manglobe. it looked horrible and wasn't as entertaining as the previous seasons.

5. Chaika S2. First season was awesome, but S2 was a bit of a letdown. They tried to cram too much into 10 episodes and the whole show became a wasted mess because of it.

6. Nogizaka Haruka S3. SImilar reason as for Chu2Koi. They overused the 'let's interrupt our flirting couple with a phone call, or some other stupid thing' cliché. And it is it THAT hard to show to people who are very much in love kissing?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2015 9:00 AM

Apr 2015
Was psycho-pass 2 that bad? Im almost done with season 1 and i'm loving it! So much so I'm considering getting it on blu ray. Sad to hear the second season isn't as good :(

Jun 24, 2015 9:08 AM

Aug 2014
Shishou_zara said:
Was psycho-pass 2 that bad? Im almost done with season 1 and i'm loving it! So much so I'm considering getting it on blu ray. Sad to hear the second season isn't as good :(

Yup, it was pretty disappointing. Let's just hope the movie is better.
Jun 24, 2015 9:09 AM

Jun 2014
Shishou_zara said:

Watch it but don't get your hopes up, as the script is badly written with certain plot holes and is just filler setup for the movie.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 24, 2015 9:27 AM

Apr 2015
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Shishou_zara said:

Watch it but don't get your hopes up, as the script is badly written with certain plot holes and is just filler setup for the movie.

Ahh i see the movie better deliver then.

Recent anime series like tokyo ghoul and aldnoah zero (dropped it) have had pretty poor sequels. Hope this trend doesn't continue.

Jun 24, 2015 9:58 AM

Apr 2015
From this list the only one I can have an opinion on is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I was arund when that shit was airing and waiting an entire week for a new episode just for the new episode to be the same episode that aired last week pissed the hell out of me, I haven't been able to get over it after 6 years.

Openning is good though *shrug*.
Jun 24, 2015 7:08 PM

Jun 2007
I was intending to tidy up the poll by removing most options with zero votes... but you can't remove poll options once the thread is made. Damnit. Bit daft since I could still edit the titles to sway the votes if I wanted, even without the ability to delete the entries.

tsudecimo said:
I think people wouldn't hated as much, if the OVAs were released first.

Actually, the Funimation release comes with the OVA, and I watched that first. Watching the OVA before S2 made me hate it even more, if that's even possible. Why? Because the OVA felt like an actual DtB sequel, directly following onto the events of S1 with Hei and Yin on the run. That should been expanded into a full second season. I just don't get what they were thinking with S2, given the OVA was a retroactive addition. Yin wasn't even in S2 at all until the very end and the whole drunk Hei x brat arc should have been secondary to what mattered: Hei and Yin. And some of the episodes were parody bad: the pedo guy + his gay dad. Then there was the end, with its moon creation and animr WTF. Uggghhhh....

About Haruhi/Endless Eight, I know a lot of people hate that pure repetition aspect, but for me, it was Haruhi abusing Mikasa after that that made me truly dislike it. Not only was the series a waste of time and not a sequel, it made Haruhi even more unlikable. First time an anime's direction has made it feel justified for the male lead to want to punch the heroine.
Jun 24, 2015 7:13 PM

Oct 2013
It's a tie between DRRR!! and Tokyo Ghoul, but if I had to pick one, I'd choose TG.

The story was all over the place, the OP was lazy and nowhere as good as Unravel, and it's just a mess! >~<

I could go into further detail, but I honestly don't have the energy.
AliceInOtakulandJun 24, 2015 7:16 PM
Jun 24, 2015 7:42 PM

Aug 2014
All romantic-comedy anime sequels are disappointing.

School Rumble

Baka to Test

the one with the blonde guy that everyone thinks is a punk but is actually a nice guy.
Jun 24, 2015 7:47 PM

Mar 2013
Can I call second season of psycho pass a disappointment if I thought it would probably suck before it aired?
Jun 25, 2015 12:40 PM

Jul 2014
Tokyo Ghoul Root A. The first two episodes were still ok, but then it all went down. Everything that was somehow established in the first season was thrown away, the "plot" got boring, the characters didn't do anything.. It was just.. Bad.

Aldnoahs 2nd season also wasn't that good, but still watchable. I'm glad I never watched that Nadia movie, it seems to be.. Not good lol.
Jul 11, 2015 12:05 AM
Dec 2014
FSN: UBW both seasons. Also it's technically a prequel but Fate/Zero also. Both of these are horrible especially when compared to the original FSN. Ugh ufotable needs to leave type-moon stuff alone. Most of it is bad enough as it is anyway...
Jul 11, 2015 2:34 PM

Aug 2010
wheres medarot on this poll

or beet the vandel buster season 2

or Orphen: revenge

those were all good awful. They all used nothing from their predecessor and were all ridiculously boring. all three of these shows lost all the fun and the action might as well have been nonexistant it was so unepic.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 11, 2015 2:45 PM
Jul 2015
Psycho Pass 2 for me

dmasterxd said:
FSN: UBW both seasons. Also it's technically a prequel but Fate/Zero also. Both of these are horrible especially when compared to the original FSN. Ugh ufotable needs to leave type-moon stuff alone. Most of it is bad enough as it is anyway...

are you serious ?
Jul 11, 2015 3:01 PM

Mar 2015
Tokyo Ghoul root A...by far
Jul 11, 2015 3:15 PM

Mar 2008
I've barely seen anything from this list, but I will comment on what I did see: Psycho-Pass 2 was interesting at the beginning, but got worse with each episode and the 'relevation' was just a huge pile of poop... beside all of that, noone wanted a Psycho-Pass without Kougami!
Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season was just a cliched love triangle, yet the ending was quite cute I'll give it that. I definitely prefer the first season.
The second movie of Mardock Scramble had some really nice scenes, but overall had less of a 'direction' than the first one. Yeah, it was worse but I still liked it. Definitely better than the last movie! So for me: First > Second > Third movie. Durarara!! 2nd Season was worse than the first one. I didn't particularly care or was interested in any of the new characters. Best episode was the last one and the only one I really enjoyed... main (only) reason why I will watch the next part as well
...actually, I will not bother to comment on everything xD From all of the above I rated Psycho-Pass 2 the lowest so I'll vote for that.

Fate/stay night UBW is basically a remake of the other shitty adaption, not sure why this is listed here..
Vanessa-Jul 11, 2015 3:20 PM
Jul 11, 2015 5:01 PM

Jan 2015
This is mostly for my own organizational purposes...

Sequels that I thought were good or enjoyable:

Sequels that I thought were disappointing but still likable:

Sequels that I thought were bad:

Sequels I didn't watch because I didn't like or was pretty meh on the prequel(s):

Everything else I either didn't know existed or simply assumed I wouldn't like it for one reason or another. So it's basically between:

1. SAO is such a disappointment because of what they built up in the first half of season 1. But then they introduced Kirito the super saiyan, removed the tension, random love triangle, new less interesting settings, suddenly the shows a harem (and not a good one), and I have no idea how I managed to watch as much of the show as I did.

2. So Infinite Stratos 2 was bad, but so was the first season so I can't really be disappointed by it. I just like Charlotte.

3. I was pretty meh on Fate/Stay, but thought that Fate/Zero was great (mostly due to Rider). UBW started out alright but just got progressively worse imo. Emiya is just a bad MC and Gilgamesh is a boring villain.

4/5. This may have more to do with me, but both Shana and Zero got progressively worse as they continued to focus more and more on the romantic plot, which was the least interesting aspect of those shows for me. The third season of both of these shows really go all in on that stuff and I just got bored with them.

6. The second season of Chaika was really rushed which bummed me out since I liked the first season and was really interested in watching them go on adventures and whatnot. The last few episodes of the season completely blindsided me abrupt closure.

Given that, I would probably have to say Chaika. While I disliked SAO more, the writing was on the wall for that show given the second half of season 1.
Jul 11, 2015 5:07 PM
Goddess

Sep 2013
Dude! Dragon Ball GT shouldn't even be on the list. IT DOESN'T EXIST!
My vote was SAO II~
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

17 by JessicaKari »»
8 minutes ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 2 hours ago

11 by Zimmu »»
12 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

103 by Animeistaken »»
14 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 8 hours ago

23 by Coaghim »»
33 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

23 by ColourWheel »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.