Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 16, 2015 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was interesting.

I have respect for Reina and it looks like Kumiko supports her as well. We get a lot of buildup from Reina and Kaori in the first half. Not too shabby especially after we learn more about Kaori's past in one of the previous auditions. The episode ends with the competition between the duo. It was short but to the point imo that has their classmates as the audience.

I think both competitors did well. Go Reina :3 Interesting to see Kaori decline the offer to play solo though.
Stark700Jun 16, 2015 10:26 AM
Jun 16, 2015 10:29 AM
Feb 2015
I loved the audition part. I didn't think they could do it, and i don't know if it is because I'm biaised wanting Kousaka to win but when she started playing, I could sense something move inside me that Kaori play didn't do to me.

Jan 2008
I knew Kousaka would get the part. I felt kind of bad for Kaori but this outcome was to be expected. Even Taki-sensei was so confident when he announced that Kousaka will get the solo part.

Um, is Kyoani still teasing the fans with the Kumiko/Kousaka scenes or did this really happen in the novels? Anyway, I'm waiting for more Shuichi/Kumiko. Hope some development happens in the next episode.
The Komori

Mar 2013
I really cannot stand that salty bitch......Anyway I'm really happy for Kousaka and I never doubled her for a second :)
Jun 16, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2012
So Kaori herself had to choose, and admit Reina's superiority. Not quite what I expected, but still crushing for the poor girl. Honestly I coulda done without this little arc altogether, it was too painful to watch. :(
Jun 16, 2015 10:32 AM

Mar 2015
Loved how you could tell the differentiation between the two. Also that Yuri moment. :DDDDDDD
Good thing Kaori is a nice person and realizes her defeat and by not taking a selfish action and taking the solo but rather relinquishing it onto Reina.
Jun 16, 2015 10:34 AM
Mar 2013
At the lunch break, Kumiko went to search for Reina to have lunch together. Since, Reina's usually practicing on the rooftop of the building, it was very easy to find her.

But, there was the Ribbon Girl in front of the exit door this time. They could hear Reina's sound through the door.
She suddenly pulled Kumiko and is to start a question.

Ribbon: What do you think about her sound?
Reina: Good! I believe even it's brilliant. Beautiful and powerful enough to be the soloist.

At the moment, Reina realizes she shouldn't say such a thing to her directly and shut her own mouth. But Ribbon doesn't upset. She sadly says to Kumiko, "Agreed. I think so, too."

Ribbon: It is abnormal for the first year student can play it this good. That's kinda cheating..."
And then, she leaves there silently...

There are more dramatic moments in this episode. I'm sorry to say this but even
I tried to translate them all, I didn't have enough nerve to do because of the intense atmosphere around there."
htsujiJun 17, 2015 3:00 AM
Jun 16, 2015 10:40 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Kumiko x Reina was once again glorious :o Kumiko x Shuichi seemingly non-existent, like what the fuck?

Also i'm gonna say that Kaori's version sounded more formulaic and trying to be perfect while Kousaka put more feeling into it and driving away from how it's usually played. I think, the big majority in the crowd noticed how much better she actually was, but hesitated to go for her just to not hurt Kaori.

Kaori also realised seemingly and gave her place to Reina.
Jun 16, 2015 10:43 AM

Jun 2013
This was... Wow, I'm still shivering.
I'm speechless.
Jun 16, 2015 10:55 AM
Feb 2015
NOOO KISSS?!? :(
Kaori ended up declining the solo part. That was very mature of her.. Reina got the part!

Kumiko x reina moments in every episode xD
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jun 16, 2015 10:56 AM
Nov 2010
man the yuri baiting
Jun 16, 2015 11:02 AM

Apr 2010
Must say that they did a good job on making Kousaka sound better that Kaori.
And with this the trouble about the audition was solved now the question is how will the tournament turn out.
Must be pretty interesting and i wonder what the other schools will be playing.
Jun 16, 2015 11:02 AM

Aug 2010
All who said Yuri went out last ep got REKT XD Yeah maybe in the end it won't happen but this ep had KumikoxReina overload <3 OTP :3

Felt bad for Kaori but Ribbon got REKT and Reina was truly better. I could actually make a difference listening too ^^ Great to see and hear :D
Jun 16, 2015 11:09 AM

Nov 2007
Music doesn't lie. :)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 16, 2015 11:10 AM

Nov 2013
NO FUCKING WAY
I couldn't concentrate on the audition after the confession happened, if they backpedal on it I'm going to rage.
Great episode as always, my mind is still blown, Kyoani has my respect.
Jun 16, 2015 11:11 AM

Sep 2010
So we'll have 2 more episodes, as far as I understand. I guess, no ShuuichixKumiko for me.

Reina was better, her sound was really great. And Kaori took her defeat with pride and maturity. Hopefully, there will be no Ribbon-girl in future episodes, she knows how to get on the nerves.
Jun 16, 2015 11:19 AM

Dec 2012
Maerow said:
Ribbon's tears are delicious.
I came here only to say this.
Jun 16, 2015 11:20 AM

Dec 2011
Man, that was quite low, asking Reina to throw away the audition.

The second audition was quite intense for me, but even I can hear that Reina was better.
Too bad Asuka won't vote, I'm curious who was better according to her.
Kinda feel bad for Kaori-senpai, but at least she handled this well.

(Trying not to make a fuss out of Kumiko and Reina scenes. Trying hard not to)
Jun 16, 2015 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
Lollo36 said:
NO FUCKING WAY
I couldn't concentrate on the audition after the confession happened, if they backpedal on it I'm going to rage.

I bet it is going to be the friendly type love.
Jun 16, 2015 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
Way too many people abstained from voting.

The fear of judgement and groupthink are real.
Jun 16, 2015 11:28 AM

Sep 2010
Kyoto Animation sure knows how to change the atmosphere from scene to scene.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Jun 16, 2015 11:29 AM

Nov 2013
DejWo said:
Lollo36 said:
NO FUCKING WAY

That was a confession of love, they couldn't have been more explicit about it. If Kyoani was just trolling us, they crossed the limit. I was willing to forgive them for the rest of the harmless yuri bait, but this episode was as gay as it gets.
At the very least, Kumiko confessed her love for Reina, there were no yuri goggles involved. If Reina still likes the teacher, I'm fine with it, but if Kumiko turns out to be straight in the nex episode, Hibike will become a shittier show.
Jun 16, 2015 11:30 AM

May 2012
dat yuri bait lol, im actually impressed with this, you could actually hear a musical difference between the 2, kousaka sounded tons better lol, it kinda pissed me off when only 2 clapped for her, and lol asukas just still not giving a fuck xD
Jun 16, 2015 11:33 AM

Oct 2007
Wondering if people would give a solitary damn about this show if it didn't have the will they or won't they yuri nonsense. Seems like the main reason people even started caring.
Jun 16, 2015 11:35 AM
Nov 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Wondering if people would give a solitary damn about this show if it didn't have the will they or won't they yuri nonsense. Seems like the main reason people even started caring.

ahh I'll still be watching regardless
Makes me think of when I was in band
Jun 16, 2015 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
Lollo36 said:
DejWo said:

That was a confession of love, they couldn't have been more explicit about it. If Kyoani was just trolling us, they crossed the limit. I was willing to forgive them for the rest of the harmless yuri bait, but this episode was as gay as it gets.
At the very least, Kumiko confessed her love for Reina, there were no yuri goggles involved. If Reina still likes the teacher, I'm fine with it, but if Kumiko turns out to be straight in the nex episode, Hibike will become a shittier show.

Or passing the audition would be Reina's confession to the teacher.

@Kaioshin_Sama: Nah,I'd watch it either way.
Jun 16, 2015 11:38 AM

Nov 2013
DejWo said:
Lollo36 said:

Or passing the audition would be Reina's confession to the teacher.

There is a possibility that it didn't mean what I think it meant, but everything in the scene pointed in that direction. We shall see.
Edit: upon rewatching the scene, the possibility that it means what you think it meant is not small. I guess I fell for it.
Lollo36Jun 16, 2015 11:43 AM
Jun 16, 2015 11:46 AM

Jan 2014
They should have kissed T.T
Great episode :D
Jun 16, 2015 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
We got to see some yuri moment between Kumiko x Reina.

Reina will play solely.
Jun 16, 2015 11:54 AM

Oct 2009
This episode was so unexpectedly well put together! I went in really nervous about this episode, but ended up really satisfied.

Also, the teasing.
BakkenJun 16, 2015 12:01 PM
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Jun 16, 2015 11:55 AM

Nov 2007
With this episode, this has now become the best anime of Spring 2015 season. Yes. Better than Oregairu. I will join the discussions later with my reasons. Promise me that you guys will keep it friendly, okay?
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 16, 2015 12:01 PM

Jun 2011
Nice episode. Reina was amazing, and I have a newfound respect for Kaori-senpai. Ribbon-chan was a bit too dramatic in my opinion, but not that strange considering her crush on/obsession with Kaori-senpai.

But best of all:
"Will you stay by my side?"
"Yeah."
"You won't betray me?"
"If I do, you can kill me."
"I'll really kill you."
"If it's you, Reina, you probably would. But I'm saying this while knowing that. After all, this is a confession of love."
Jun 16, 2015 12:02 PM

May 2011
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was interesting.

I have respect for Reina and it looks like Kumiko supports her as well. We get a lot of buildup from Reina and Kaori in the first half. Not too shabby especially after we learn more about Kaori's past in one of the previous auditions. The episode ends with the competition between the duo. It was short but to the point imo that has their classmates as the audience.

I think both competitors did well. Go Reina :3 Interesting to see Kaori decline the offer to play solo though.

Lollo36 said:
NO FUCKING WAY

I mean seriously any anti-shipper has to agree that you can't fault the ReinaxKumiko shippers for believing in the SS Yuri after that scene.

I was totally

during that one scene.

-----------------------------------

I was totally thinking that "Yuuko might actually go Yandere" in the show. There was some freaky moments. Then I realized this was Kyoani. Maybe now Yuuko can finally get over her "Madonna" complex she's got for Kaori. I think even Kaori is getting the creeps.

So in the end Asuka did care enough to drop the devilish hint to Kaori that Reina is the better player.
CirrisJun 16, 2015 12:20 PM
Jun 16, 2015 12:02 PM

Jan 2009

Jun 16, 2015 12:03 PM

Mar 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It is if you ignore all the things people have been saying about it's relatable portrayal of being in a school band.

But you only see what you want to see, so that's moot.
Jun 16, 2015 12:07 PM

May 2013
KyoAni once again baited a lot of viewers and meh, i guess they are really crossing the line now. No, they already did.

But the audtion part, KyoAni, that was great. I was going to get pissed because Kaori won because tbh Reina's performance was excellent and I noticed that Asuka is clrealy watching Reina's performance and just listening to Kaori's (because her eyes was closed) but then, great development from her.

Also, i didn't noticed that Shuuichi was at Kumiko's back. Damn.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 16, 2015 12:08 PM

Jun 2015
Ribbon's Girl's Tears were the best part of this episode (not really, but I still enjoyed her crying scene).
Ohohoh, KyoAni, there you go again with the Yuri feels XD
Seriously, does anyone know how the romance gets resolved in the books? At this point, I want a second season T_T
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Jun 16, 2015 12:10 PM

May 2015
Ririka said:

is kyoani trolling us?

Jan 2009
I also liked the part where Taki-sensei emphasized that it is Reina who will play the solo, and not Nakaseko-san.

Aug 2009
From thread of episode 10 :
Doubledog said:

Maybe it's an opportunity to focus on Kaori[...]. I think that she'll receive the majority of votes just because others sympathize with her, so, since she doesn't seem the type that would take advantage from a thing like that, she'll accept that she's not good as Reina and will hand over the solo to her.

More or less what indeed happened, but now I can't see how it could have ben otherwise, I guess Taki intended the thing to go like that.

They did good making the difference between the 2 solos real for everyone's ears, Kaori was neat and played well as it's written, but Kousaka had a better use of silences and note "pronunciation" (I mean most of the long notes were not a straigh line and felt really "human").

Also this episode felt very short.
ZiassanJun 16, 2015 12:14 PM
Jun 16, 2015 12:11 PM

Apr 2013
Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina Kumiko x Reina

great episode even if yuuko got a bit annoying.
Jun 16, 2015 12:11 PM

Nov 2013
Cirris said:
I mean seriously any anti-shipper has to agree that you can't fault the ReinaxKumiko shippers for believing in the SS Yuri after that scene.

I was totally
during that one scene.

But you have to put that scene into the proper context, aka it's just bait by a shitty and cowardly studio and I've been convinced that the confession Kumiko mentions is, metaphorically speaking, Reina's audition = confession to the teacher.
It makes no sense in the context of this episode, which pointed to a gay confession in every way possible, but it's still the truth.

You can't get 2 Yurikumas in a row.
Jun 16, 2015 12:12 PM

Jan 2009
kurikinton said:
Ririka said:

is kyoani trolling us?

I don't think they would see this pairing through until the end.
So this is just another bait maybe, but they just crossed the line. (=w=)"

Jun 16, 2015 12:13 PM

Jul 2010
Yuko really did a lot for Kaori, though she did fail to see the most important part. Really liked how all the "doubts" were cast away for both Kaori and Reina.

Now that is a great platonic relationship, the way the two goes at it... lol
Jun 16, 2015 12:13 PM

May 2011
fst said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It is if you ignore all the things people have been saying about it's relatable portrayal of being in a school band.

But you only see what you want to see, so that's moot.

My favorite scene from the show so far is the marching band one where they band freaks out, Reina calms them down, and they play to a crowd that are like "WOW! who are they!"

There's plenty of parts that are about the music. But the basis of the story is the band members and how they react to each other. It's a great story.

But the biggest part of the show has been Kumiko and Reina and how they've grown together. Their budding relationship (whether it be sensual or platonic) with each other is the driving force of show.

Kumiko is the protagonist after all.
Jun 16, 2015 12:14 PM

Dec 2013
Hibike, y u toying with my emotions?

That confession part was really hitting hard and the audition was intense. God, I loved it.
Jun 16, 2015 12:15 PM

Jul 2013
the yuri is real~

glad they didn't get rid of Kousaka, she's the best character of this show.
Jun 16, 2015 12:17 PM

Nov 2013
I still wish for an episode that's dedicated to Asuka, I'm interested in seeing how she ended up being the way she is, and she's been slowly falling behind in the race for best girl. It may be too late now, second season plz.
Jun 16, 2015 12:19 PM

Dec 2013
Also, Reina's performance was better on so many levels. Kaori's was good too, but when I heard Reina's it just paled in comparison.
Jun 16, 2015 12:20 PM

Apr 2013
Lollo36 said:
I still wish for an episode that's dedicated to Asuka, I'm interested in seeing how she ended up being the way she is, and she's been slowly falling behind in the race for best girl. It may be too late now, second season plz.

agree
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
Apr 24, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.