Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2015 2:52 PM
Aug 2014
An alright first episode, the CGI felt a bit low budget in some places.
Apr 5, 2015 2:57 PM

Jan 2014
Great animation. I liked the design of the main characters. Had a nice feel to it.

I have really high hopes for this one, gives off a good historical vibe.
Apr 5, 2015 3:16 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I really enjoyed that first episode. Yeah it was only an introductory episode but the way that it was executed was amazing imo and it was pretty fun

The characterizations were done really well, the OST was very good and the art and animation were pretty great as well. So far I'm loving Arslan, the black haired dude and the blonde kid A LOT

My only complaint with this episode is that the CGI that they used was really bad, and that needs to improve ASAP

I expect this series to give us great characterization, world building and some decent action scenes as well, and if they can keep up this art and animation, fix the CGI and give us more awesome music then this series will easily be one of the best of this season

Looking forward to the next episode (Shit's gonna go down it seems) The ED was great too
TokoyaApr 5, 2015 3:22 PM
Apr 5, 2015 3:17 PM
Jan 2012
meh, I'll go with the manga
the scene with the arrow was pretty sick tho
MatijaxDApr 5, 2015 3:29 PM
Apr 5, 2015 3:32 PM

Jul 2014
>Arslan

My season anime.

Apr 5, 2015 3:51 PM
Oct 2014
Arslan's eyes are distractingly huuuge.

Good ep and world, looking forward to more.
Apr 5, 2015 3:52 PM
Jan 2015
this is going to be one heck of a season, spring 2015 is on a roll!

as for the episode it was enjoyable, Arslan having that personality makes him a better main character in my opinion, the other kid that kidnapped Arslan seems interesting, i'd like to know more about him and about his 'kingdom'.. looking forward to episode 2, definitely made my list
Apr 5, 2015 3:54 PM

Jan 2013
Tyrel said:
Zeally said:
lHas anyone watched the 90s OVA adaptation, and if so why is it so poorly rated? I hope this gets a 2 cour treatment.
Apparently it was rushed a lot and there was too many time skips which killed characterization.

Honestly,it only has 4,000 members and I don't think it has been seen enough by a broader audience. It was probably mostly diehard novelist fans who did that.
I watched it and thought it was great! Most of the people who have written reviews for it also think it's great. That's very telling.

The art and story are really great, and the only sad thing is that the OVA doesn't finish the story. The characterization was good to me,and all in all I would highly recommend the OVA. It's not rated well just because it's not popular
brianezApr 5, 2015 3:59 PM

Apr 5, 2015 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed this very much, the locations were so beautifully drawn and it reminded me of Prince of Persia's market scenes, then again Pars does sound like Persia. I did feel and for Arslan though, his mom and dad are kind of ugh.

I'm looking forward to the next episode very much.
Apr 5, 2015 4:08 PM

Apr 2014
I think I'll like this, old battle settings get me pumped when they all charge in.
---------My Profile------------
Apr 5, 2015 4:31 PM

Dec 2007
The orginal OVA's were one of the first animes I watched back in the 90's sadly for whatever reason they only brought the first 4 out of 6 over to the UK and it wasn't to years later that I got to watch the end. I can remember it being an interesting story and so I have high hopes for this version as well.

Those comparing it to Yona aren't that far of as it does has a similer story but with out the dragons and romance. The books it was based on are very old even if the new manga the CD's come from isn't.
Apr 5, 2015 4:36 PM

Dec 2010
duowolf said:
Those comparing it to Yona aren't that far of as it does has a similer story but with out the dragons and romance.

That already makes it about 10x better imo.
Apr 5, 2015 4:51 PM

Feb 2014
I really like it. The art looks like FMA's, and the story reminds me of another anime I've heard of, can't think of it though. Maybe Kingdom?

Apr 5, 2015 4:56 PM

May 2013
Guy who wrote legend of the galactic heroes... brilliant, just as expected.
Apr 5, 2015 5:12 PM
Dec 2014
dis dat real shit doe
Apr 5, 2015 6:08 PM

Nov 2007
Fave animu this season already
Apr 5, 2015 6:17 PM

Oct 2013
This is gonna be a fun show to watch this season, highlights were definitely the characters and ost.

Apr 5, 2015 7:09 PM

May 2013
BASED YUSUKE KOBAYASHI. HAHAHAHA

But the CGI felt off considering that this is a historical show. But looking forward to it.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 5, 2015 7:36 PM

Jan 2013
I really liked this premiere. Great set up, It feels like this could be 50+ episodes of material.
Apr 5, 2015 7:36 PM

Sep 2014
Average first episode, but I'm interesting in seeing next week's episode to see how his character develops with the three year time skip.
Apr 5, 2015 7:50 PM

Jul 2009
oooh im so excited for this anime!!! Daryun is yummy and the prince is cute.
Apr 5, 2015 8:04 PM

Mar 2009
Great start. Been looking forward to this. Was gonna read the manga, but saw the anime was coming so waited. I'm usually not a fan of manga adapted from novels, so was hesitant to read the manga anyway. But with Arakawa sense involved, that could be an exception.

Back to the episode. I liked the way they started the show. It gavea solid intro to what seems every iimportant character, with out cramming too much in.

The animation/character designs are fantastic. And I for one thought the CGI was done well, with the exception of the alley chase seen.

The OST was stellar, I hope they keep that up.

will definitely be sticking with this one. I just hope they giveit room to grow, and not try to cram it into too little of episodes.
Apr 5, 2015 8:22 PM

Aug 2013
Kinda slow first episode for my taste, didn't really grab me. Sets up a decent plot though.
My Candies:
Apr 5, 2015 8:29 PM

Oct 2007
I'm an extremely picky person when it comes to remakes of classic stories and a pretty big fan of the original OVA and I thought this was a fantastic premiere so hopefully that accounts for something. I find it funny that people spend so much time talking about CGI that was honestly barely present throughout the episode (I thought it had a lot of good character animation) and when it really pays to be paying attention to all the foreshadowing and hints about the nature and destinies of the cast. Granted the real story starts next episode.

Also yes people are correct, Pars is meant to be a stand in for Persia here. The tale is actually based off of an old Persian story that Tanaka himself adapted into his novel. From Wikipedia:

In the 19th century, Naqib ul-Mamālik (نقیب الممالک), royal story teller of Nasereddin Shah's court, king of Iran, became popular for creating the tale "Amir Arsalān-i Nāmdār", and the Japanese story is set in a fantasy setting resembling historical Persia. Many characters have names originating from the Persian epic of Amir Arsalan.
PeacingOutApr 5, 2015 8:34 PM
Apr 5, 2015 8:43 PM

Apr 2014
Hm...interesting.
I want to see how strong would MC get as the anime progress.
First battle of MC life next episode would be insane.
Looking good so far.
Apr 5, 2015 8:51 PM

Jan 2014
Looks really good. Promising. And Arslan is cute ^-^
Apr 5, 2015 9:13 PM
Jul 2012
Antanaru said:
Who sends infantry running like idiots right into cavalry charge... In a completely open fields... Come on, Japan had its medieval period, why are they showing battles without even an ounce of common sense strategy like in some Hollywood production? When a series starts with something like that I don't even feel like finishing the first episode.

I understand where you are coming from with this comment, but it is highly inaccurate. This is quite historically accurate, where the Mongols used similar tactics against all of their neighboring lands. The knights of Europe fared no chance against their forces. The flanking displayed was not a widely used formation, even in our reality, well into the 1300s.

Hollywood likes to embellish battles to bafflingly unhistoric proportions. I mean, the majority of Braveheart's battles are more fiction than historically accurate... I highly recommend looking into the conquests of Genghis Khan, who demolished far larger, and far more fortified and armored, forces for decades, all the while being considered savages by their more civilized neighbors.
Apr 5, 2015 9:26 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
MoeGod said:
It felt like watching those Hollywood epic like Troy or Kingdom of Heaven. At least the soundtrack.

The soundtrack is composed by an awards-winning world-class film score composer.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 5, 2015 10:17 PM
Jul 2013
Pretty shit so far
Apr 5, 2015 10:33 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode, one of the better ones I've seen so far. Miles better than Danmachi imo.

Seems like we'll get a lot of characterization for Arslan in the later episodes. Hoping they develop him well.

The CGI were okay although noticeable, but I seriously don't mind. I've seen worse.

I wonder if that blonde kid and Arslan will meet again. And I just hope Arslan doesn't stay forever 14 in this story.

I'll be following this from now on.
Apr 5, 2015 11:08 PM

Jan 2011
An okay episode. A decent introduction to Arslan. Didn't really mind CGI (CGI is eventually going to be next gen anime I presume) and it had some pretty neat animation and art.

Is this going to be a 12 episode series? Coz if it is, this episode might have been a bit slow if we're to expect Arslan to develop later.
Apr 5, 2015 11:38 PM
Nov 2013
This was a great first episode! I hope Liden Films can keep this up because this is looking to be one of my favorite of Spring so far.
Apr 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Mar 2015
I think what CGI is better than a slideshow, like some shounen anime.
Apr 6, 2015 12:24 AM

Jan 2015
that random hand-touching scene with arslan and the lusitanian kid was awkward as fuck, and the CG when the soldiers were chasing them through the streets was grade-A comedy, but aside from that, having watched the preview for the next episode, this actually looks like it will be a decent series...hopefully arslan wont be so bishie after they make the 3-year jump
Apr 6, 2015 12:27 AM

Jul 2013
I'm really going to enjoy this since it is one of my most hyped shows in the spring, and it didn't disappoint me after all. The setting, characters, music, and art, looked all great. IDK about the animation but I think I will get used it later.

Let the adventure of Arslan begins :D.

Apr 6, 2015 12:39 AM

Jul 2010
Getting strong Kingdom vibes from this one. Looking forward to see if it's good or not.
Apr 6, 2015 12:45 AM

Nov 2014
This reminded me of a combination of the Disney Aladdin movie and the Raymond Feist trilogy where they go to the southern kingdom to foil whichever shady plot, with a bit of Hobb's Farseer trilogy mixed in plus the classic "unwilling wife from arranged marriage" trope. Liked it. Anything that draws more from book tropes than tired anime tropes wins right now, for me, at least. Battle tactics were shit though. At least protect your longbowmen with a token row of shieldfodder, Jesus. Whatever, though, that wasn't meant to be the focus of the episode. All in all I really liked it.
Quality Queen.
Apr 6, 2015 1:42 AM
Aug 2011
great setting my hopes are relatively high
Apr 6, 2015 2:14 AM

Jul 2010
ooo, only series so far this season I've found somewhat intriguing.
Apr 6, 2015 2:48 AM

Dec 2013
Watched the really old one way back in the day (I think I was a toddler) and knew about the reboot of the manga series, but didn't pick it up because I didn't want to compare with my childhood memories of the title.

Still.... couldn't resist the look of the anime and here I am. If this is to follow the original plot, I'm gonna enjoy seeing them revealing the ridiculousness of the Royal lineage. Also looking forward to seeing the updated badassery of Falangies and the philandering of Guibu.

Looking forward to next episode.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 6, 2015 3:20 AM

Apr 2013
TreF said:
This is how you do an introductory episode. Having worked on the original Hunter x Hunter and Great Teacher Onizuka, the director of this series is a veteran and it shows.

The episode opens with a grandiose battle which immediately draws the viewer in. The focus is then turned to character exposition and world building, as we learn the main character's timid and easy-going nature, as well as the religious and social differences/conflicts between the two opposing kingdoms. The hostage part of the episode gives off a classic adventure vibe, and raises interest in what lies beyond the kingdom of Pars. Having witnessed the corpses of slayed war captives, Arslan is left pondering his world view and the episode ends teasing his first battle.

Excellent stuff right here. Let's hope it keeps up.

Agreed! this episode achieved a lot and was a very good setup.
The show certainly seems promising and I have high expectations for Arslan's future character development.
other than that: Great ED and the animation wasn't bad overall.
Apr 6, 2015 5:30 AM

May 2010
Man the ED is really good... what should I do? Should I... keep watching this.... Nah, I can't. Gonna skip this one. I want to but already have hands full with sunday anime - 5 titles.
Apr 6, 2015 5:37 AM

Oct 2013
TragicRomance said:
Man the ED is really good... what should I do? Should I... keep watching this.... Nah, I can't. Gonna skip this one. I want to but already have hands full with sunday anime - 5 titles.
Watch it. The person who adapted the story into LN format (from which the anime is further adapted from) is also the one who did LOGH.
Apr 6, 2015 5:57 AM
Nov 2013
Am I the only one who thought that blonde guy was a girl in disguise :p
Btw Nice episode,Has a prince of persia kind of feel...Prince of Parsia???
Ending song is really catchy
Apr 6, 2015 6:19 AM

Nov 2013
Like this episode. The setting reminds me a lot of Vinland Saga, except (most likely) it doesn't have mature content and the MC is pussy at the beginning.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Apr 6, 2015 6:59 AM

May 2009
Remarkable first episode. The animations looked freakin' promosing. The ónly thing that bugged me were some 3D effects that didn't look quite realistic to me.

Daryum looks like a fun character to me; not to mention he's hot. lol. I have great expectations.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 6, 2015 7:17 AM

Sep 2014
That was a really good first episode. I hope this Anime will be 24 episodes long. It needs to be. I'm really interested in what happens next. Have great expectations!
Apr 6, 2015 7:20 AM
Nov 2009
I tried to watch this since it´s from the same author who made LotGH and not to mention how it´s been hyped by commercials from other animes.

Seeing forward to the next episode.
Apr 6, 2015 7:48 AM

Oct 2013
arslan prince is cute...
Apr 6, 2015 7:49 AM

Apr 2014
I enjoyed the first episode. I like the setting, I like the main character. Could become a great show!
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

102 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 4, 5:03 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

84 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Mar 1, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2015

118 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 24, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2015

109 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 11, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2015

115 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 9, 1:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.