Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2015 4:35 AM

Jul 2012
AsianYeti said:
As someone who's gotten pretty far in the manga, this did not disappoint me. It's different (from parent material), it's cute, and still entertaining. I wonder what episode are they gonna do that "title suddenly makes sense" arc.

It was slightly disappointing. I feel like they could have adapted so many of those comedy moments at the beginning :3 they were so good

that part with Tsuruya and Mikuru at the shopping would make more sense if they had shown that moment at the beginning when Kyon and Yuki were going to the club room
-miraiiApr 5, 2015 4:55 AM
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Apr 5, 2015 4:42 AM

May 2009
Comic_Sans said:
brianez said:

Haha, you're joking right?
Why would I be joking? I don't like when my favourite kuuderes turn into moe blob archetypes

Where do you see tsundere?
Apr 5, 2015 4:52 AM
Jun 2014
So, I wonder if I should put this on hold until watching Suzumia Haruhi no Shoushitsu..?

Since not seeing the movie, I htought from the beginning that there are several things... wrong, so I thought about alternate universe, especially after a certain encounter... Thought that later on something is going to hit the fan with her.

At least this ep seems to be taking place after the movie, I suppose...
Apr 5, 2015 4:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I expected something very different to be honest. But I guess I'll keep on watching to see if it links up with the 'main' Haruhi Suzumiya universe.

Did they change BA's for Koizumi? He sounded very different for some reason.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 5, 2015 4:57 AM

Aug 2013
DawnJ said:
SmashTheOni said:

If you've seen the movie, then you'll know what this is. It's a series based on the alternate world seen in the movie. Haruhi is here, she's just not "God" nor is she as important as she was in the main series. It's an anime adaptation of a manga under the same name done by Puyo, the artist for the Haruhi-chan series.

It's not a continuation diverted from Shoushitsu arc. This just borrows characters, and settings selectively from the original, then is made into a romcom.

So this is just a world created by alien Yuki in Haruhi movie, where Kyon wasn't do anything to restore his 'old' world?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 5, 2015 5:22 AM

Jul 2012
rsc-pl said:
DawnJ said:

It's not a continuation diverted from Shoushitsu arc. This just borrows characters, and settings selectively from the original, then is made into a romcom.

So this is just a world created by alien Yuki in Haruhi movie, where Kyon wasn't do anything to restore his 'old' world?

It's like a parllel world where nothing we know of the series happened pretty much. There are no overpowered haruhi nor aliens nor anything of the sort. It's just a sort of rom-comedy with the main characters being Kyon and Yuki.
-miraiiApr 5, 2015 6:46 AM
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Apr 5, 2015 5:25 AM

Mar 2014
bastek66 said:
Comic_Sans said:
Why would I be joking? I don't like when my favourite kuuderes turn into moe blob archetypes

Where do you see tsundere?
Don't remember, I was tired when I wrote that
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 5, 2015 5:32 AM
Mar 2014
Oh, well. I didn't gather a lot of information prior to watching the first episode, but now I'm somewhat disappointed. What made most of these characters so memorable and fun in the original Haruhi series doesn't seem to translate on over to this spin-off. Yuki isn't this emotionless all-knowing being anymore, Kyon's sarcastic comments are nowhere to be found and Haruhi has not yet said a single word. Instead, we've got a harem-like situation for Kyon and it seems like they've turned each character into your standard anime archetypes. I'm hoping that the series gets back to what made it stand out in the first place, at the very least the title gives me reason to hope for the show getting better.
Apr 5, 2015 5:37 AM

Dec 2013
Garbage. Trash. I barely finished the first episode. Nonsensical episode with some random shit happening. Creators really want overboard with making Nagato look cute. Cringe.

Dropped 1/10
Apr 5, 2015 5:57 AM

Oct 2012
I'm not sure if I can handle this for a season. Sure, it's cute, but I hardly recognize some of these characters, I mean they're just too different, even from the movie.

Well, I guess it's fine for a nice, relaxing watch once a week.
Apr 5, 2015 6:29 AM

Nov 2014
There's not a trace of personality from the original movie. Well, this could as well be about different people all all together. Tsuruya-san and Asakura were fun to watch, but Nagato,what happened to her books :(
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Apr 5, 2015 6:30 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I'm liking this Nagato a bit more. I counted around 16 times of the word "Turkey" lol. Asakura was darn hilarious, her personality is enjoyable. That gangster hand shake Tsuruya at the end xD

The only one left to see is Koizumi since we got to see Haruhi for a couple seconds. Not sure if Kouzumi was next to her right before they zoomed in on the Nagato/Haruhi encounter.

Overall it was a pretty fun episode. Mikuru is still darn cute. Getting tired because her boobs slow her down lol.

Apr 5, 2015 6:32 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
yaiba064 said:
There's not a trace of personality from the original movie. Well, this could as well be about different people all all together. Tsuruya-san and Asakura were fun to watch, but Nagato,what happened to her books :(

She traded her books in for a PSP console lol.

Apr 5, 2015 6:35 AM

Jul 2012
The character designs for this spin-off throw me off for a bit but I will recover.

This was actually pretty funny overall.

I do not know how I feel about this show just yet, but I will try to watch more and hopefully come to really enjoy this spin-off.

~Great episode!!!
Apr 5, 2015 6:38 AM

Nov 2014
julyan said:
Corleone said:
So this is the spin-off of what would have happened if Kyon accepted the world Nagato created right?

I can't be really sure since I haven't read the manga for this but I can tell this is not that universe. The Nagato there is more timid and vulnerable and cute. At least that Nagato is charming.. not this piece of whatever it is.

If we accept Koizumi's explanation in the moviw, this is the universe where Haruhi does not have her power, not because of what Nagato did, just a separate parallel one. At least that explains why she doesn't read books. *still feel sad*
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Apr 5, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2012
yaiba064 said:
julyan said:

I can't be really sure since I haven't read the manga for this but I can tell this is not that universe. The Nagato there is more timid and vulnerable and cute. At least that Nagato is charming.. not this piece of whatever it is.

If we accept Koizumi's explanation in the moviw, this is the universe where Haruhi does not have her power, not because of what Nagato did, just a separate parallel one. At least that explains why she doesn't read books. *still feel sad*

Dakara

-Panda_Hero- said:
It's like a parallel world where nothing we know of the series happened pretty much. There are no overpowered haruhi nor aliens nor anything of the sort. It's just a sort of rom-comedy with the main characters being Kyon and Yuki.

The characters are the sam but the relation tothe main series is mostly that. Puyo changes things to fit this 'new world' so some characteristics the characters had in the original will not be the same in this anime
Apr 5, 2015 7:02 AM

May 2010
For a pilot episode, I thought it was alright.

I am rather looking forward to see how the later episodes go so far, but as of now. I'm on the fence with this one. I'll get use to the new designs, and the comedy did get a few laughs out of me.

(Also, Mikuru. <3)

Overall, 6/10. Was good, hope for the show to get better as the series progresses.
Apr 5, 2015 7:07 AM

Mar 2013
I read the manga and I never really expect much but it wasn't a disappointment like most seem to think.
For now,I'm just happy to see the old cast again.
Apr 5, 2015 7:09 AM

Sep 2014
Well, it was an okay first episode I suppose. I never read the Manga but yeah, I'll need some time to get used to the artwork here. Let's see.
Apr 5, 2015 7:10 AM

Apr 2014
Just finished watching the first episode tonight. Yuki's definitely different from the old one. But I kinda love the art. Kinda funny~ New moe moe moe!
Apr 5, 2015 7:11 AM

Nov 2009
I don't know but something rubs me the wrong way when I'm watching this.

I'm not sure if it's the art style, the voices or the character interactions but something. I can't quite place my finger on it.

On a side note, hopefully we will see more Tsuruya this series as she was so under-utilised in the main series.
Apr 5, 2015 8:08 AM

May 2014
THIS IS A INSULT TO HARUHI SERIES !!! THAT DESIGN IS HORRIBLE !
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DROPPED !!! I'll NEVER WATCH THIS SHIT AGAIN !!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2015 8:39 AM

Jan 2013
Easy explanation'd be "official fanfiction". But y'know, the author of the original series pretty much gave up writing more Haruhi books (it's been owacon for a long time), you could say this is the new mainsteam, attempting to extend the life of the series, defibrillator to the dead, or a little gift to old fans.

Just enjoy the good ol' characters with a bit of reinterpretation (except Nagato) and romcom, that's pretty much the purpose of this series. If you can't, well, go back to watch Endless Eight, which pretty much ended the series which was already ended (hell yeah KyoAni, why the fuck not).
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 5, 2015 8:49 AM

Sep 2014
Quick question: I haven't watched Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu or Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, do you guys think I should watch this? Or would it be better if I watched the aforementioned anime first?

Because, although a lot of people are saying this is great, from the first episode I was rubbed off the wrong, I didn't really like anything about it. Everything was underwhelming (well for a spin-off for something I never even watched, probably normal), if I watched this I think I will drop it by episode 5 or so.
Apr 5, 2015 9:13 AM

Nov 2012
Not quite what I was expecting, but still gonna continue watching it.
Maybe just me, but the characters look a bit different somehow.....
Apr 5, 2015 10:19 AM

Feb 2014
Like many others, it'll take a few episodes for me to get used to the different artstyle and animation compared to the Kyoto Animation produced works in the past.

But so far, I'm really liking it. Nagato saying turkey is ridiculously cute! =3
Apr 5, 2015 10:21 AM

Nov 2013
The story is definitely just as interesting as the suzumiya haruhi seasons , if not more. But wtf is up with this animation though ?! Especially Kyon , he looks totally off
Apr 5, 2015 10:26 AM
Mar 2014
jose21 said:

You're right - the original Haruhi series has been produced by Kyoto Animation, whereas this spin-off is currently being made by Satelight.
Apr 5, 2015 10:32 AM

Dec 2013
Considering that I am a complete John Snow (aka, I know absolutely NOTHING... don't judge me, I went through an anime deprived phase for nearly an entire decade before picking it back up, so I missed a lot of interesting titles...) regarding the original Haruhi series/movies/OVAs/manga/literature...... I thought it might be interesting to pick this up in the middle of nowhere and see if it will entice me into delving into the original story from here on out.

Having seen some shape or form of the characters on the screen from music videos and whatnot, they seem familiar on the eyes, but not familiar enough on my memory to know who's who off the bat.

The first episode seems promising.

Hopefully it'll stay good.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 5, 2015 10:38 AM

Jan 2011
jose21 said:

Well.. much more than a "bit different", really
Apr 5, 2015 10:47 AM

Aug 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
Considering that I am a complete John Snow (aka, I know absolutely NOTHING... don't judge me, I went through an anime deprived phase for nearly an entire decade before picking it back up, so I missed a lot of interesting titles...) regarding the original Haruhi series/movies/OVAs/manga/literature...... I thought it might be interesting to pick this up in the middle of nowhere and see if it will entice me into delving into the original story from here on out.

Having seen some shape or form of the characters on the screen from music videos and whatnot, they seem familiar on the eyes, but not familiar enough on my memory to know who's who off the bat.

The first episode seems promising.

Hopefully it'll stay good.

*Jon
Anyway pretty disapointed. It's haruhi without what made haruhi interesting (haruhi and supernatural elements). Also there doesn't seem to be any mocking of common tropes in anime or novels apart from the shojo manga reference. I hope this sells really well so that kyoani get their act together and make season 3.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 5, 2015 10:50 AM

Mar 2014
WuBoyBR said:
THIS IS AN INSULT TO HARUHI SERIES !!! THAT DESIGN IS HORRIBLE !
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DROPPED !!! I'll NEVER WATCH THIS SHIT AGAIN !!!
Pliz niggah calm down
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 5, 2015 10:54 AM

Jul 2014
Eh, still trying to get used to the new art from Studio Not-KyoAni. Overall the show was okay, but I'm not too impressed from what I got here, even for a SoL. I understand it is a spin-off but placing a particular focus on one character (in this case Yuki) in a show that doesn't have a robust plot makes it feel a bit gauche.
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Apr 5, 2015 11:02 AM

Jan 2015
Kyon looks terrible in this. He doesn't have that smug bored look like he did in the previous anime series.

Nagato is way too moe for my liking. She was supposed to be an unemotional doll that would show us a bit of emotion as the who progressed....not be reduced to a shy girlx10.

Boring episode and not much happened. Not exactly thrilled to be seeing this but I will continue and see how it unfolds.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2015 11:06 AM

May 2010
Did Nagato always blush this easily? She seems like a less clumsy ver. of Asahina. Guess this is the same world as the movie but really, she seems a bit too different. The art reminds me of Daitoshokan no Hitsujkai.. a bit. Kyon is as cool as always. This makes me love Asakura, she is such a good cupid in this one.

But really this ain't bad, not at all. The comedy is spot-on, so are Kyon's tsukkomi responses. Asahina's meek voice is as cute as always.

LOL at the subs, "I want to tell you~ tokimeki ga~" They added it without translating. Pretty average lyrics but not bad.
Apr 5, 2015 11:32 AM

Feb 2013
Well, I read the manga long before this was even announced, so I knew what to expect.
Pretty enjoyable first episode, I really liked it.

Apr 5, 2015 11:35 AM

Oct 2011
Haruhi passed Nagato!!!! Will she return??

This will focus on Nagato and Kyon this time.

The title of this series OMG. I have tissues prepared in case.
Apr 5, 2015 11:57 AM

Jul 2014
I hated this episode. Literally nothing happened. Characters are having an exagerated behaviour and aren't even funny. The atmosphere feels kinda off and the characters look different (and less cute in my opinion). Since they haven't yet talked about her disappearance I'll keep watching to see how it unfolds but frankly, I think this was quite the bad start.
Apr 5, 2015 12:17 PM
May 2014
Isn't Kyon behaving alot more spineless than in the other series?
Not to mention he looks alot younger, especially in some scenes.
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Apr 5, 2015 12:31 PM

Aug 2013
I'm really loving this, despite the totally different mood and style. I love how there's still a little bit of craziness, and all the references to the original series. And the soundtrack makes me smile almost every time it plays. :-)

As a side note, Kyon's new face reminds me too much of Satoshi Ohsugi from Eden of the East... he needs to be more serious.
einonymousApr 5, 2015 12:35 PM
Apr 5, 2015 2:10 PM

Aug 2014
I hope haruhi makes this better. I just view this as a stepping stone to see snowy mountain syndrome animated (which would be awesome)

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 5, 2015 2:17 PM

May 2012
What an adorable episode! It's so nice to have mah girl Yuki back on my screen!!!

On the redesign: It's not like Kyoto Animation gives a sh!t about Haruhi anymore, so this series wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for the new studio. If they are the ones taking the reigns of the series, SO BE IT! At least they got all the voices back. That is just AWESOME!
And the people expecting another Haruhi season obviously don't know the spin off manga this is based on (or even watched the freaking movie!)

I give this episode a HNNGGG/10
Apr 5, 2015 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
I didn't expect anything good would come out from this spin-off, and immediately after watching this episode I felt like I wasted my time. After thinking about it for a while, I will try to continue watching this anime until Haruhi appears. I read the whole thread before answering. I loved the Haruhi world, I watched both seasons, the film and read the 11 light novels (even though I'm still learning English). This spin-off just took several characters, random important places from the original and created a new whole story.

I didn't hate this either, the animation style is completely different to what we used to watch in KyoAni but seiyuu remain, I could appreciate the different way Nagato's voice is acted now, it wasn't that bad but still way to go, maybe she will get used to this in a few episodes.

The character style was very different, Kyon looks like a different character lol.
4/10, still better story than Twilight and not dropping yet.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Apr 5, 2015 2:55 PM

Dec 2011
Yuki chaaaaaan!

Hmm, the reactions in this thread are better than I thought it would be.

The art really can put some people off, but I'm okay with that since that's the way it is in the manga.

In this episode they adapted the first 4 chapters, which is not that bad to be honest, but I wished the pace was a bit slower since I want to enjoy the atmosphere of the story more. But oh well, the fact that they make this into anime is already good enough for me, so not gonna complain about it that much.
Apr 5, 2015 3:26 PM

Jun 2013
This fanfiction-alike sucks big time.

Gonna wait till Haruhi appears though.
Apr 5, 2015 3:30 PM

Jun 2013
That was pretty good and pretty cute but the pacing was so slow
Apr 5, 2015 3:41 PM

Dec 2011
I'd say it's fun and I'll probably continue to watch it.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 5, 2015 4:07 PM

Nov 2007
Koizumi and Kyon walked past each other yaaaas *it's in just for the Itsukyon*

anyway,it will take me a while to get used to this character design...i miss the real Kyon,idk who this is......
Apr 5, 2015 4:32 PM

Mar 2015
I thought it was pretty good. It may take a while for me to get used to the new designs.

Apr 5, 2015 5:20 PM

Jun 2013
To be honest i hated it. I am a HUGE Haruhi fan (read all the LNs, have seen the show in its entirety multiple times) and i honestly hated this episode so bad. Its absolutely nothing like Haruhi was. Idk, i dont have high hopes for this. I'll continue to watch it and hope we get a green light for season 3 (with the same director) soon
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2015

85 by Sachoza »»
Apr 27, 5:29 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

181 by Pitt83 »»
Mar 4, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

90 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 15, 7:49 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.