Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2015 6:30 PM

Sep 2014
The change of studio was a problem, the art design was changed, thats going to take some getting use to.
*Too complicated to cared*
Apr 5, 2015 7:45 PM

May 2014
Art is definitely going to take some getting used to. Not a huge fan.

Other than that, it really didn't get me hooked. Seemed fairly bland, really. I mean, the series is called "The Disappearance" so hopefully some deeper plot will get involved. But I'm not getting my hopes up =/
Apr 5, 2015 8:04 PM

Apr 2011
The animation was weird at first but I came to adapt.
Apr 5, 2015 8:20 PM

May 2010
Professional2341 said:
Quick question: I haven't watched Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu or Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, do you guys think I should watch this? Or would it be better if I watched the aforementioned anime first?

If you don't know anything about Suzumiya and all I would not recommend you this series 'cause you'll be missing a big part of the jokes, I have not read the spin-off manga so I can't tell you for sure but at least if you did not watched the previous seasona you will not be able to see why the big change in Nagato's personality is "funny".
Apr 5, 2015 8:55 PM

Dec 2014
Mixed feelings about the art style. This Kyon looks adorable. Kyon is supposed to be the average guy and I liked the averageness of his looks in the original style.

It was cute nonetheless ^-^ I can't wait until they meet Haruhi.
Apr 5, 2015 9:09 PM

Apr 2008
The feel of the show is just too different from the previous .. animation and character personality wise... need time to get used to this

Apr 5, 2015 9:20 PM
Jun 2013
trusttt said:
aerithclode said:
I dont like Kyon's voice. BUT I LIKE YUKI'S VOICE. SO CUTEEEEE
The animation was not bad, Since i didnt watch the Haruhi series, I can get used to it
Blasphemy, how can someone not like sugita's voice? :(

yea, the voicers are the same as before, but since he didn't watch the 2 seasons and the movie, also i really like the main narrator's voice.
PS: i really liked KyoAni's animation, why didn't they do this, would appreciate if someone tells me.
mechwarrior1Mar 23, 2023 8:24 PM
Apr 5, 2015 10:12 PM

Dec 2012
My, oh, my . . . What's this? This is . . . I don't . . . I can't. I am sorry. I will be waiting for the 3rd season of TMHS.
I like anime.
Apr 5, 2015 10:57 PM

Jul 2013
I really liked the episode. It was very different than what we were used to, and yet at the same time, it felt the same.

That said, at the end of the episode I felt depressed. I just remember what really happened at the library... Yuki is remembering it all wrong...

Remember, this is the alternate universe created by her. That means there are still certain leftover elements from the original universe. Asakura is giving me the creeps. I'm seeing some foreshadowing there. I guarantee you eventually the shit is going to hit the fan in this series.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Apr 5, 2015 11:05 PM
Nov 2008
Damn, that was really hard to get behind. My expectations are probably way higher than they should be, especially from the movie. A Haruhi series effectively without Haruhi just doesn't feel right. I'll probably keep watching and keep hoping some Haruhi plot comes into play. But at the same time, I know this universe's story has already been told, and I find that discouraging. I'm just struggling to get behind Yuki putting together a Christmas party when that party doesn't involve aliens, time travelers, or espers. I'll be really disappointed if I end up just watching the show for cameos and references.

That being said, I can't deny that I was grinning like an idiot as she hummed Hare Hare Yukai...
Apr 5, 2015 11:12 PM

Feb 2011
haha they were playing a Misirlou ripoff during the department store competition.

Episode made.
Apr 5, 2015 11:23 PM

Aug 2014
Without KyoAni behind the animation and art it seems like a whole new series.

I don't think it was all so bad. It has potential to make something out of itself.
Apr 5, 2015 11:40 PM

Oct 2013
It was pretty average imo. I had a hard time watching the complete episode and I was just waiting when will the episode end. This was the first disappointing series for me in this season.

I'll continue watching this though, for Kyon and his amazing seiyuu Sugita. ^^

I wish we see this from Kyon's point of view again. :/
Apr 6, 2015 12:34 AM

Jan 2013
Looks like the first episode adapted until the part were I left the manga.
It was more bearable than the manga, mostly thanks to Sugita voicing Kyon.
Apr 6, 2015 1:39 AM

Jan 2008
I can stand the design changes, even though I personally miss Kyoto Animation's appeal, but what bothers me are the personality changes.
Nagato feels too generic, what I originally liked about her personality, was the fact that she didn't really have one, if anything she was more like a super computer.
Asakura is way too forward, it's been years since I watched the original anime, and I can't recall much about her personality from the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, but I'm pretty sure that Asakura was nothing like this, it feels like they like they cloned Tsuruya and gave her a touch of yandere.
Kyon is too helpful, he's not laid back enough and doesn't feel as cynical in this.
Why are Kyon and Asakura members of the literature club?
I don't remember anything in the original story that would even suggest the two joining the club, in the first timeline Kyon was forced to join the newly founded S.O.S. Brigade by Suzumiya, in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kyon joined because he still had his memories.
Why does Kyon, Negato and Asakura know Asahina and Tsuruya so well?
Even in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Asahina and Tsuruya didn't know Kyon when he went up to them, partly because they were in separate classes.
The problem I'm having with the concept is that there is no development for the changes to take place, if they started with the same conditions as the original story, and the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, where Kyon doesn't know any of the S.O.S. Brigade members, then it could possibly work out.
Between the altered personalities and the difference in style, I don't feel like I know the characters, but am somehow expected to be fine with it as though I'm already used to it.
Okay, rant over.
I'm not saying that it's bad, it's actually pretty good, I just feel that they rushed into the story without developing to the current point.
Apr 6, 2015 3:41 AM

Dec 2012
Hraktuus said:
Remember, this is the alternate universe created by her. That means there are still certain leftover elements from the original universe. Asakura is giving me the creeps. I'm seeing some foreshadowing there. I guarantee you eventually the shit is going to hit the fan in this series.

This is not exactly in the alternate universe of the main series. This story is just inspired by it.
I like anime.
Apr 6, 2015 3:44 AM

Nov 2014
As I've said, this is not the universe originated from Nagato's malfunction, it's just a parallel universe where Haruhi's never met Kyon.

It has nothing to do with the original story, frankly.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Apr 6, 2015 3:56 AM

Dec 2009
What are the best subs at the moment?

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/TeaAnyOne91

Apr 6, 2015 4:22 AM
Jan 2015
0% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. They've just fucked up the storyline. The point about Haruhi series was its background story it was going on, even if we weren't very aware about it. If you remove that, it only remains a silly slice of life. And it wasn't too fun, anyways. The only hope remaining is a plot twist, just as it happened in the movie. And I miss Haruhi. She was abitch, but still pretty fun.
busataApr 6, 2015 4:25 AM
Apr 6, 2015 4:39 AM

Dec 2011
yaiba064 said:
As I've said, this is not the universe originated from Nagato's malfunction, it's just a parallel universe where Haruhi's never met Kyon.

This.
If you compare this with the original story and you have high expectations because you think it would follow the original story, chances are you'll be quite disappointed.
alcrowryApr 6, 2015 4:45 AM
Apr 6, 2015 5:12 AM

Jul 2014
Hahaha although the art syle is very different (I like old Kyon more! The rest I think is okay) I enjoyed the story :) nice to see Nagato so lively :)
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Apr 6, 2015 7:27 AM

Aug 2012
Chihara Minori did such a good job voicing Nagato Yuki-chan (she's one of my favorite VA and singer btw). They should make "The Disappearance of Asahina Mikuru-chan" next as a sequel spinoff lol :D
Apr 6, 2015 7:42 AM

Jul 2012
alcrowry said:
yaiba064 said:

This.
If you compare this with the original story and you have high expectations because you think it would follow the original story, chances are you'll be quite disappointed.

it feels like no matter how many times one says this people still don't get it *sigh* We can explain it as much as we want and there'll be always someone who'll come here without previous knowledge that this is a spin off..

This anime is not directly related to the original series nor the movie. Please understand this.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Apr 6, 2015 7:51 AM

Aug 2014
I know it's a spin off but still dissapointing. Is haruhi still the same old haruhi?

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 6, 2015 8:26 AM

May 2009
destroy the main personality of nagato, get some moeblob main harem character and turn his personality in kyon... this is what i saw...
animation style is not bad, and it would be all fine.. but as someone who loves the supernatural elements of the original i might drop this out of rage for destroying my most loved characters in anime history..
Apr 6, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
Reyoku said:
destroy the main personality of nagato, get some moeblob main harem character and turn his personality in kyon... this is what i saw...
animation style is not bad, and it would be all fine.. but as someone who loves the supernatural elements of the original i might drop this out of rage for destroying my most loved characters in anime history..

You must hate the movie then.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 6, 2015 8:51 AM

May 2009
DawnJ said:
Reyoku said:

You must hate the movie then.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? Was one of the best movies I ever saw. The current kyon is not even the real deal... there is nothing supernatural or interesting left besides slice of life (from episode 1)
Apr 6, 2015 9:51 AM

May 2012
-Panda_Hero- said:
alcrowry said:

This.

it feels like no matter how many times one says this people still don't get it *sigh* We can explain it as much as we want and there'll be always someone who'll come here without previous knowledge that this is a spin off..

This anime is not directly related to the original series nor the movie. Please understand this.
QFT
Apr 6, 2015 10:00 AM

Feb 2008
tiya_n said:
Hahaha although the art syle is very different (I like old Kyon more! The rest I think is okay) I enjoyed the story :) nice to see Nagato so lively :)

It's different because the story doesn't center on Kyon as in the prime Haruhi universe. Of course Kyon is going to be different . . .
Apr 6, 2015 10:12 AM

Aug 2012
This is pretty terrible. None of the characters act like themselves. The art is sub-par so all the characters don't look like themselves. All the voices are bad except Kyon's.

No semblance of a story at all so far, and this is a world where Kyon never knew of Haruhi instead of a world where Kyon simply chose to stay in the "normal" world.

We'll never get Haruhi S3 at this rate if they're gonna judge based on the popularity of this show.
Apr 6, 2015 12:05 PM

May 2011
Why is so many people bashing and trolling around? This isn't even a spin off it's totally unrelated to the original , you could even call it something to entertain nagato x kyon fans' . So please stop comparing this to the original series.

I would watch this as a brand new, fresh, totally unrelated with haruhi anime, even the genre is totally different, it doesn't even have a single slice of supernatural in it, main plot is all about nagato and how she deals with her daily life trying to confess to kyon and all. Can't say i like this compared to the original universe but it's not that bad on its own, as a rom/com slice of life.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 6, 2015 12:24 PM

Apr 2013
well, it's... different. But not unexpected, they already said it when since it was announced, that it would be different. I guess I will get used to it, but I hope it's good enough to stand on it's own.
Apr 6, 2015 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
Kiev said:
Why is so many people bashing and trolling around? This isn't even a spin off it's totally unrelated to the original , you could even call it something to entertain nagato x kyon fans' . So please stop comparing this to the original series.

I would watch this as a brand new, fresh, totally unrelated with haruhi anime, even the genre is totally different, it doesn't even have a single slice of supernatural in it, main plot is all about nagato and how she deals with her daily life trying to confess to kyon and all. Can't say i like this compared to the original universe but it's not that bad on its own, as a rom/com slice of life.

I agree and it has only been one episode watch at least 3 before deciding. I enjoyed it was nothing spectacular but still a nice time.

Though I really enjoyed the Asakura scenes I ship her and Kyon over Nagato as I think they worked better or they could share him which could be possible.
Apr 6, 2015 3:03 PM

Sep 2008
I feel so conflicted...

I like Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu series,
Animation is pretty cool... but I prefer KyoAni.
But story some characters... it feels like totally diffrent series,
feels like this is fanfiction which get anime.

I know this is spin-off, but I thought it will get the same mood like main story.

I don't really understand...
Haruhi is that Haruhi from main story or there is some alternative version?

Can I have hopes for KyonxHaruhi moments or whole series will be about KyonxYuki?
LittleStarApr 6, 2015 3:09 PM
Apr 6, 2015 3:19 PM

Sep 2011
Bad animation, bad character design and overall it's just not Nagato at all.
Apr 6, 2015 3:26 PM

Oct 2012
People have said they have mixed opinions and whatnot which really makes sense but I definitely know I flat out did not like it at all. I felt all of the characters were intact for the most place except Nagato; which not only does her personality feel totally different the art reinforces that way too much. I know it's a spin off but it felt just...wrong...I was looking forward to this but it's easily my most disappointing first episode so far this season
Apr 6, 2015 3:47 PM

Jan 2008
-Panda_Hero- said:
alcrowry said:

This.

I don't think anyone has a problem recognizing the fact that it's a spin off set in an alternate universe, even so, the characters shouldn't be as different as they are, and the anime hasn't allowed us to meet the 'new versions' of the characters, it's as if they jumped several episodes in, and expected us to just go along with the changes as if we're already used to them.
If they introduced the characters in a way that shows their development, then it might be a good alternative.
Personally, I can live with the changes, though I found the original personalities more likeable.
But I can completely understand why a devoted fan of the series would have a problem with this, especially considering that the series is based off of one of the biggest cult phenomenons in anime history; to the anime community, it's like tampering with the Star Wars universe, there will be a lot of fans upset.
Apr 6, 2015 3:49 PM

May 2011
UkePaChan said:
I'm still not used to this...
It feels like a rip-off with everything stolen from KyoAni.
The clothes, the voices, the scenery (like the whole school), the jokes (belly fetish), opening humming
Are they even allowed to do that? A lot of work went into all that stuff and they just take it...
Well whatever...I'm going to see this through to the end for my waifu Nagato.

KyoAni doesn't own haruhi?
Apr 6, 2015 3:55 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty good start. Yuki is super cute, and Tsuruya!!!!!!

Not as slap-sticky as the manga, definitely focusing more on the moe side, but still good. I've only read a few volumes of the manga, so I don't know where they go with the story. I decided to put the manga on hold when i found out it was getting an anime.

Looking forward to more.
Apr 6, 2015 4:08 PM

Mar 2014
No wonder people call this fanfic, it wasn't terrible, just really really generic, from one cliche to the next.
"Let me help you up (why did he even do this)." "O-ok." *spend the next 10 seconds staring at each other while holding hands*
"I touched your hand with the tip of my finger, WAH SO EMBARRASSED."
"oh mah gawd totally forgot Kyon was right in front of us and almost got Nagato naked, how did this happen!?"
And it just started, we don't even see them meet for the first time or Nagato seeing Kyon for the first time and realizes she likes him or whatever or anything, it just randomly starts, I feel like they expect the viewers to know the characters but there's a limit and this has crossed it.

Kyon is still hilarious though but that's because Sugita is voicing him, this simply isn't the same Kyon and him not being the MC and having no monologues really takes away from the whole thing that made Haruhi so good.

Wasn't terrible, just really generic.
Re-airing the original over this would have probably been better.
Apr 6, 2015 4:35 PM

Jan 2009
meh, humor felt forced. i'll pass for now
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 6, 2015 6:02 PM

Nov 2011
decent enough watch though this just makes me want a third season of haruhi to be honest
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Apr 6, 2015 7:15 PM

Nov 2010
I like the atmosphere. will continue .
Apr 6, 2015 7:16 PM

Aug 2012
Paulo27 said:
No wonder people call this fanfic
All I could think the entire episode. Way worse than I expected. I can't find anything it actually brings to the table.
Apr 6, 2015 7:25 PM

Feb 2011
Jesus 5-episode rule for 2 cour, 3 episode rule for 1 cour if it failes then we are done, if not keep watching. Personally the differences only add to the effect that this is a parallel world.
Apr 6, 2015 7:53 PM

Apr 2015
I really liked it all... Well, not totally, but I appreciated how they did it. It isn't our Nagato anymore, HOWEVER, it is the Nagato she wanted to be, in the life she wanted to be too. Why not appreciate the world she created for love? Even though the first episode seemed quite normal, IT'S STILL ABOUT THE SOS DAN MEMBERS! It's fated to unpredictable results and surprises ...except this time we have a lot of passion along.
Apr 6, 2015 8:03 PM

Jan 2014
Animation was really different, I think I preferred the old style even though this one looks more polished.

Decent laughs though.
Apr 6, 2015 8:35 PM
Apr 2011
Kyon and Asahina are the same, but everybody else is different. Nobody has supernatural powers, so the show is basically just another high school show. Not looking forward to this, quite a disappointment after waiting like 5 years since the movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2015 10:07 PM

Jul 2013
What is this... abomination?

why did they even change studio? was the idea so stupid that even KyoAni lost interest? why not just make Haruhi s3?
Apr 6, 2015 11:33 PM

Apr 2014
Please don't give it a low score because of the art style. Satelight its just being faithful from the manga art style. This is a spin off series written by a different author.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

138 by Shaka-bun »»
Mar 7, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

181 by Pitt83 »»
Mar 4, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2015

82 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

90 by Pitt83 »»
Feb 15, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2015

140 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Nov 18, 2023 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.