Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2015 9:27 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Matsuoka definitely isn't my first choice for Bell but I can see why they picked him since there's that climax of volume 3. Hestia's voice is okay. Dem Hestias though. Oppai loli at its finest.
Art and animation are decent so far. And while his new skill is definitely a cheat, basically a glorified EXP boost, the gap between his goal is pretty huge that he wouldn't close it immediately. He has a lot to work to do.
Apr 3, 2015 9:28 AM

Nov 2011
Hmm, I kinda liked it. Of course they would pick the same VA that voiced Kirito. ¬‿¬

Started off intense for the first 5 minutes with some game tropes. Hestia's on screen debut literally had her jumping into Bell lol. Well, the two has a funny chemistry going on.

Character designs are fine so far by JC Staff. Overall, funny intro episode. The way Hestia wakes up...

And lol, Bell and his little imaginations of Aizu..fucking priceless! Theme song is okay I guess.
Apr 3, 2015 9:35 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
With this, I can definitely see the differences between the manga (which I read) and the LN but other than that it looked liked a pretty great adaptation

The art and animation were great much to my surprise and the atmosphere of all the scenes were portrayed pretty well...I'm also glad to see that they kept all the blood that this series has :D

Best girl Hestia was kawaii as usual, and I can't wait for the subs so that I can properly laugh at all the comedy bits xD Also, just in case people are worrying, there isn't much ecchi in this series at all and when there is, it's not really prevalent at all...Bell doesn't sound very much like Kirito so I'm glad for that too

Loved the visuals in the OP as well but the song was okay...Could have been a lot better
Apr 3, 2015 9:36 AM

Nov 2013
That amount of sideboob is enough to make a diamond

great amount of camera angle and storytelling, anyway.
but I'm afraid if their animation become worse and worse, just like Tatsunoko's Yoru no Yatterman.

8/10 for me
Apr 3, 2015 9:51 AM

Dec 2013
Uhh. Better drop it. Seems bad. Plus it's Matsuoka and his shitty voice infecting this season's shows.

Edit: Well I can already see the fanboys of this show fapping to Hestia's tits and ass, so the franchise would survive.
Gamer6Apr 3, 2015 10:25 AM

Apr 3, 2015 10:03 AM

Mar 2013
Dem Hestits and Hestass.
I can already see all the "omg Kirito's voice hur hur" and all that crap in this thread.
Apr 3, 2015 10:48 AM
Jul 2012
I like this series already as long as it continues to follow the source material it should be good.
Apr 3, 2015 11:04 AM

Aug 2010
All dem side oppai shots doe :3 Hestia's loli oppai and ass are a miracle if the universe <3
So far pretty nice adaption.
Apr 3, 2015 11:08 AM

Jul 2010
It was fun seeing Bell running happily in the treats while with all that blood covering him.

It's fun to see the stats growth from just like that and with that skill for his fast growth!

The waitress is good at making a new customer! Using the dropped coin and breakfast as an investment :P

Bell has quite the drive to improve himself already.
Apr 3, 2015 11:10 AM

Nov 2007
For me this is quite a weak start as I imagined something else, but judging from the opening that got played at the end xD the story should devolp nice, and I like Bell-kun <33 so let's see where this is headed.
Apr 3, 2015 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
+Funny moments
+Great fluid animation
+Cute girls.

It's a keeper.
Oh god who are you people?
Apr 3, 2015 11:16 AM

Jul 2012
What was she doing with his back when he was laying on his stomach and his back was glowing and stuff?
Apr 3, 2015 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Good start. Anime has some great potential. I mean it reminds me of an animeized percy jackosn but with a better story
Apr 3, 2015 11:19 AM

Feb 2011
Possible drop in the future but for now, nice animation. Other than that I don't see any plus, the RPG themed anime are starting to become generic and also their personalities are dull. Also Kirito-fag voicing the MC makes it worse.
Apr 3, 2015 11:20 AM

Mar 2015
Gamer6 said:
Uhh. Better drop it. Seems bad. Plus it's Matsuoka and his shitty voice infecting this season's shows.

Edit: Well I can already see the fanboys of this show fapping to Hestia's tits and ass, so the franchise would survive.

My thoughts exactly.
Apr 3, 2015 11:22 AM

Jun 2010
therandomestguy said:
What was she doing with his back when he was laying on his stomach and his back was glowing and stuff?

The anime left out a loooooooooooooot of explanation from the LN as to what was actually going at any given time.

She was updating his stats.

And the floor of the dungeon he was on after the pub was much lower then "Five", which is where the Minotaur attacked him in the beginning.
Apr 3, 2015 11:25 AM

Oct 2009
Not bad, I will definitely watch this!
Apr 3, 2015 11:29 AM

Jul 2012
neonie said:
therandomestguy said:

The anime left out a loooooooooooooot of explanation from the LN as to what was actually going at any given time.

And the floor of the dungeon he was on after the pub was much lower then "Five", which is where the Minotaur attacked him in the beginning.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if they just didn't explain it or if I spaced out when they did, lol.
Apr 3, 2015 11:30 AM

Jul 2012
This anime has potential. We will have to see how this show will develop.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Apr 3, 2015 11:33 AM

Nov 2013
Hell yes! My first anime of the season and it's actually pretty enjoyable. I'm glad I'll have a replacement for Log Horizon this season as a fantasy anime (with game mechanincs no less!).

Really liked the animation quality and characters seem fine. Don't really like how obsessed Bell is with the blonde girl. Even though I like Kuuderes, I think his Goddess is a better much for him. Plus they're adorable together.

Great start to a new season!
Apr 3, 2015 11:34 AM
Mar 2014
This was.. actually a lot better than I expected it to be. It can probably make its way up to a 4 or 5 if there's some character development..
I'm having fun with it, so count me in. Animation is pretty decent and the sound is straight up good.
vegetablespiritApr 3, 2015 11:37 AM
Apr 3, 2015 11:34 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Bell is one dense guy. How could he not already notice that Hestia has feelings for him? Or does he actually know but pretends not to?

Kind of cliched how Bell already has a rare and potent skill. (Well technically, he just gained it this episode). Even so, Realis Phrase will pave the path for him to become OP.

Decent start. Animation was good and so was the BGM. Hopefully, J.C. Staff will continue to handle the series well.

Apr 3, 2015 11:35 AM

Apr 2010
This is the title i have been waiting for and i can't say i am disappointed.
I have not read the LN but i did read a large part of the manga is which they translated Hestia's way of naming Wallenstein to Wallenwoman, here it's Wallensomething girl, it's the correct translation.
But thing is the Wallen is the red light district in Amsterdam so every time i read Wallenwoman i was thinking of something else.

The a side something a really have to mention is that i really like the background music i loved it.
Lately there have been a number of anime with bad background music i even dropped one because of it's background music.
But from what i heard in this episode it was really great.
Apr 3, 2015 11:36 AM

May 2013
Looks like the mc in this one is kinda wimpy, but I liked this episode. Can't wait for the next one.
Apr 3, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2010
therandomestguy said:
neonie said:

Thank you, I wasn't sure if they just didn't explain it or if I spaced out when they did, lol.

Nah, they seem to just not be bothering to try, which is kind of disappointing.

They gain experience fighting in the dungeon, and than the god, via the "blessing" they give their adventures, can update their status, skills and magic using the experience they get by doing various thing (which is what that orb above his back was), the gods can choose to nurture certain paths or skills in people if it appears in their orb.

The skill Aiz inspired in Bell here is called "Realise Phrase" and increases growth speed in an adventurer based on that adventures motivation to get stronger. Hestia immediately regretted added this to his repertoire because:

A. She wants to stay alone with him for as long as possible because she has feelings for him, and isn't really too hot about him chasing other girls.

And

B. Bells motivation to get stronger is a lot.
Apr 3, 2015 11:42 AM

Jan 2014
I personally loved it, enjoyed the rpg-ish elements the show has and the Greeki-ish setting for the overworld. Some scenes definitely delivered, and the animation was quite nice and better than I expected. Loads of potential and great start, looking forward to more this season.
Apr 3, 2015 11:42 AM
Feb 2015
This should be a fun series to watch. Hestia is so Kawaii!!! And that end part xD
Looks like I have somthing to look forward to on Fridays now.
I thought the theme song was decent..
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Apr 3, 2015 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
Hmm ...it is a show that has potential for sure...not exactly what i expected for a series such as this on the first ep....I was kind of surprised by the blood and gore especially in the first 2 minutes...

The story seems almost exactly like u would expect in a dungeon raid type of fantasy game....except this one instead of being in a game...the real world is a copy of what u would find in a dungeon game...(Considering the main voice actor is the same one for kirto it kind of fits in a way)

I would really recommend people to watch the first episode before making a decision it is surprisingly good.

P.s Why is it there always has to be a cat girl in evry fantasy world series...can u add a bit of more variety for once..there are other potential beast/monster girls u know :P
Apr 3, 2015 11:44 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I liked this, especially the OST. I wonder if Bell knows that Hestia loves him. If he doesn't, wow, you're dense.
Apr 3, 2015 11:46 AM

Feb 2015
HESTIA <3 anyway looks like a good start something else to look forward to on fridays
Apr 3, 2015 11:48 AM

Jun 2010
Smudy said:
I wonder if Bell knows that Hestia loves him. If he doesn't, wow, you're dense.

TO BE FAIR. She is a GOD. It makes some sense he would think she was just messing around with him and he probably doesn't want to get his hopes up that a GOD has fallen for him.
Apr 3, 2015 11:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Hestia-chwan I've missed you <3

Pretty faithful adaptation thus far at least. I always thought that Danmachi was probably more suited as an anime than as a novel when I was reading it. Only problem is that they didn't really explain how the mechanics with leveling up worked, nor what Bell's skill actually does... well maybe in the next episode, we'll see

Not sure about having Matsuoka voicing Bell though. I think he should've had a more feminine-sounding voice than this, but maybe that's picking at details

I should probably also say to anime-only viewers that if you're looking for some in-depth RPG elements then this story doesn't really have any more than SAO does for example in that aspect. This is really a series which is kind of dependent on Hestia. If you like her, then you'll probably like the series and vice versa
HaXXspettenApr 3, 2015 11:53 AM
Apr 3, 2015 11:49 AM

Mar 2013
It was pretty good. But Matsuoka annoys the hell out of me. And it's not that he is a bad voice actor, I just bloody tired from hearing him in the half of the lead roles.
Apr 3, 2015 11:51 AM

Jul 2012
neonie said:
therandomestguy said:

They gain experience fighting in the dungeon, and than the god, via the "blessing" they give their adventures, can update their status, skills and magic using the experience they get by doing various thing (which is what that orb above his back was), the gods can choose to nurture certain paths or skills in people if it appears in their orb.

The skill Aiz inspired in Bell here is called "Realise Phrase" and increases growth speed in an adventurer based on that adventures motivation to get stronger. Hestia immediately regretted added this to his repertoire because:

A. She wants to stay alone with him for as long as possible because she has feelings for him, and isn't really too hot about him chasing other girls.

And

So it's kinda like Hestia is the role of the video game player as she can choose his path and skills as he levels up and Bell is her game character?
Apr 3, 2015 11:54 AM

Aug 2014
Doesn't really need explanation I totally got it. Pretty fun show but the loli is un-needed.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
*hug noises*

May 2013
therandomestguy said:
neonie said:

And

So it's kinda like Hestia is the role of the video game player as she can choose his path and skills as he levels up and Bell is her game character?
No, he gains stats from what he does on his own. Have you ever played The Elder Scrolls? It's kind of like that. You gain stats based on what you do each level, then you gotta do a certain action in order to actually level up (in that case it's sleeping, here it's Hestia updating it for him). Same way with magic and skills. Of course sometimes it might end up in a situation where he'll be able to choose one out of numerous skills to acquire upon leveling up though.

Aug 2014
like it was so obvious it was his stats ect

Apr 3, 2015 11:56 AM

Nov 2008
Blehrg... Such a weak first ep.

At least I now know which anime I'll swap out for FAL :V

^_-

Aug 2014
The line about getting hit and increasing his HP basically made it 100% clear which RPG mechanics they where using. I find it funny that the mechanics seem more viable than SAO but SAO is the video game and this is meant to be a fantasy world XD

Jul 2014
Alright start, but this seemed really rushed. I mean, next episode is Monsterphilia already. And that was right near the end of the first volume of the LN. The OP's pretty good as well.

Also, is it just me or is Hestia more annoying here than in the LNs?

Aug 2014
Drizzy_Drake said:
Blehrg... Such a weak first ep.

At least I now know which anime I'll swap out for FAL :V

^_-

I enjoyed it and the action scenes looked alright.

Apr 3, 2015 11:57 AM

Jun 2010
therandomestguy said:

In some sense for gods with multiple people in their familia it's probably more like that lol. But she can't choose which specific stats get increased (well she could choose to NOT increase certain ones, but there's no benefit to doing that :P), whatever the adventure does in the Dungeon decides what get's increased.

So like being hit by an enemy will increase vitality. Running a lot will increase agility. Attacking things will increase strength. One of the key points the second time she increased his stats in the LN, was he wondered how his Vitality went up so high even though he only got hit once (Hestia hasn't told him about the skill that increases his potential.)

I'd liken Hestia more to like, a bonfire in Dark Souls when it comes to effect though lol.
Apr 3, 2015 11:59 AM

Nov 2013
The haters are making the score drop fast.
Apr 3, 2015 12:00 PM

Feb 2014
I liked this first episode, especially the setting. The animation looks good, and I really like the goddess.

Gonna keep watching, this got me interested.
Apr 3, 2015 12:04 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Vindstot said:
Bell is one dense guy. How could he not already notice that Hestia has feelings for him? Or does he actually know but pretends not to?

Kind of cliched how Bell already has a rare and potent skill. (Well technically, he just gained it this episode). Even so, Realis Phrase will pave the path for him to become OP.

Decent start. Animation was good and so was the BGM. Hopefully, J.C. Staff will continue to handle the series well.
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion if I were you ;)
Apr 3, 2015 12:04 PM

Aug 2014
The setting isn't terribly interesting tbh.

Apr 3, 2015 12:06 PM

Aug 2014
There is the general annoying thing about loads of girls paying him attention even though he is a twerp

Apr 3, 2015 12:07 PM

Aug 2012
Not a bad start, I thought it was at least charming. Good character setup for Bell and Hestia, even if it felt a little rushed. Expecting more world building next episode.
Apr 3, 2015 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
Don't know what to think about this yet. Bell is cute and the animation seems nice. I will give this a try

OMG Hestia's boobs are something. Neve though I would see a non-flat loli lool
Apr 3, 2015 12:08 PM

Aug 2014
World is pretty clear cut to be honest. I don't expect any more depth apart from minor details.

Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2015

363 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2015

196 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2015

208 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2015

282 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Apr 10, 2015

277 by Etherius_ZS »»
Apr 19, 11:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.