Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why don't you like this anime or why do you? and why did you give it the rating you did?

Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 20, 2015 8:58 AM

Jan 2015
I felt that there was no real discussion thread as to criticize why/why not so many people like it/don't like it so I made this.

In order to fully appreciate this series I had to look at it in a different way than when I watch other anime.

First of all I'll start by saying that Your Lie in April was rated a 9/10 by me and here's why.

- The other key characters besides Kousei and Kaori were felt by many as not having enough character development however I think that in a story that focuses mainly on self-growth and relationships between the two musicians this was not appealing or needed, they were much better off being catalysts for Kouseis growth.

- The black cat being used as a symbol for Kouseis character development was a great plot device (if you don't know what i'm talking about google "cat symbolism") especially when used in conjunction with his mother (abandoning the cat) and in the last episode when he finally realized what he wanted to do with his life.

- The affection that Tsubaki showed for Kousei was very life-like and showed just how unyielding and I guess selfish people are in real life. You would expect a third wheel to say something like " I can't get in the way of them" but Tsubaki is very much like a real person (albeit a shitty one) saying that Kaori is not affectionate towards Kousei to get him to feel love towards her.

- Moral of being yourself and not following others examples/expressing oneself to the fullest possible (stiff kousei vs colorful kousei) (inner conflict with his mother)

- I would say a lot of other stuff and about Kaoris and Kouseis relationship and it's surrealistic but realistic feel but some of you would probably just say that it's generic so I'll refrain.

OST, and visuals were amazing, I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

Oh yea some of the artwork was off (unnecessary comedic relief scenes) and the pacing was kinda jumbled but it didn't the impact on the whole story was negligible.
HasHashMar 20, 2015 9:10 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 20, 2015 9:02 AM

Feb 2013
I rated 9/10 why?

-The art is amazing.
-The soundtrack is amazing.
-The story is enough to make me interested, I didn't get bored in any single episode.
-The drama was good and enought to make me cry.

and pretty much I enjoyed it more than I was expecting.

Mar 20, 2015 9:05 AM

May 2014
10/10 because it gaves me a lot of feels,the art was amazing and the soundtrack doesn't have words to describe..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2015 9:16 AM

Jun 2011
I rate it -/10.

I am fine with the show except for the high rating, I don't think it deserves to be above Nodame, not that it should be degraded, but I'd like Nodame to get into the top 20 as well. :p

As for the show itself, I thought the flashback was overdone, it's pretty much in every episode, especially when they keep reusing the same flashback over and over again, it calls for technique to pull it off well, but it didn't.

I also feel that the 2 friends should have either more screen time and solid development or less screen time so that we can focus on other things. In the end I don't really care about both of them.

A shame that we never get to see romantic moments between Kousei and Kaori. I know that's not the point of the show, but I would still like to see that. ):
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 20, 2015 9:23 AM
Nov 2013
Most of the show is 7/10 material - great art and music, but overdone character narration and flashbacks.

The bittersweet but emotionally satisfying ending, however, bumped it up to 8/10 for me.
Mar 20, 2015 9:25 AM

Jan 2015
ToG25thBaam said:
I rate it -/10.

I am fine with the show except for the high rating, I don't think it deserves to be above Nodame, not that it should be degraded, but I'd like Nodame to get into the top 20 as well. :p

As for the show itself, I thought the flashback was overdone, it's pretty much in every episode, especially when they keep reusing the same flashback over and over again, it calls for technique to pull it off well, but it didn't.

I also feel that the 2 friends should have either more screen time and solid development or less screen time so that we can focus on other things. In the end I don't really care about both of them.

A shame that we never get to see romantic moments between Kousei and Kaori. I know that's not the point of the show, but I would still like to see that. ):

Well, the flashbacks are just showing what he has to overcome because this was his main problem in the first half of the show in the second half, they toned it down.

and yea the two characters like i said are better thought of as side characters, Watari more than Tsubaki.
HasHashMar 20, 2015 9:30 AM
Mar 20, 2015 9:32 AM

Oct 2011
7/10

Too much romance melodrama shoved down our throats in the second half
Tsubaki Sawabe is damn near one of the most annoying side characters in recent memory
As someone said before, too many damn flashbacks
Middle schoolers acting like 30 year old adults
Not enough music for my liking
Good animation
Decent plot
Ending was solid
Mar 20, 2015 9:33 AM

Jan 2009
my god, just 2 days ago it was ranked #46, as of today it's #17. bitter sweet series ftw

9/10 overall for the series
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 20, 2015 9:46 AM

Sep 2008
7.5/10

It hit some high notes for me with the flashbacks from kousei's side but as someone had mentioned, the melodrama you get from a bunch of 14(pretty sure thats what they said they were) was just a little over the top for that age. Had this been the set fr them Twilight series age group I may have half believe it(but then i would have been zoned out within first 10 minutes). I've given it an 8 on MAL(since you can't do halves), purely because we at least get a death in the end confirmed although it wasn't as sad as I expected it to be. Will Kaori be memorable? Not in the lines of anime greats like Spike, Kamina or Lelouch and all those anime greats(hell I'd even have kousei's mom as more memorable), but I'm glad Kaori did die(sadistic as i am) as, should she had lived, this series would have taken a nosedive for me to an easy 3 or 4 out of 10.
Mar 20, 2015 10:10 AM

Feb 2010
Let me quote some posts:

TripleSRank said:
My main problem with Shigatsu is the framing and premise for the in-story events. Kousei was given a good backstory to give depth to his character; namely his psychologically and physically abusive mother. This made his introverted tendencies and dramatizations of events believable and even relatable. It also gave him an interesting/unique relationship with the piano, a sort of love/hate relationship thanks to the trauma associated with it. He tried so hard to please his mother, to "earn" her love, but he failed and it crushed him. Now, despite the piano being something so connected to him, he can't bring himself to play it because it reawakens said trauma: The inability to hear the notes isn't literal, but mental- a coping mechanism. Kousei is a dramatic and depressive sort of person, after all.

None of that is bad. In fact, by itself it is a superb premise. The problem arose with Kaori and Tsubaki started pushing him. The pushing itself wasn't bad; Kousei viewed his life as empty and meaningless. He needed a push. However, the way they pushed was all wrong. They were giving him "hell on earth" over playing the piano. They put music sheets everywhere; they kept bugged him about it incessantly; Kaori even guilt-tripped him. It was bullying, plain and simple, and while I can't fault Kaori for that, Tsubaki knew Kousei's background and should have been more sensitive.

Still, depicting bullying in itself isn't a bad thing. You could even justify it in that these are middle school students who probably though they were actually doing something helpful (though I don't feel realism is always desirable in fiction, but I digress). However, what makes it a problem is how the anime framed it. Kousei was depicted as having psychological trauma and the anime frames the bullying as the solution to his problem. It is flippantly unbelievable and even offensive. Rather than suffering a breakdown (a realistic reaction), he sees it as a wonderful experience! Reliving the trauma of his past is so amazing now that he has this pretty girl in front of him.

The story is completely belittling and outright ignoring the realities of those who have suffered abuse. It might not be a problem in a series that doesn't take itself seriously, but Shigatsu definitely does, and it treats the issue with total disrespect. "Man up Kousei! You should be totally okay since this pretty girl likes you!" (The "man up" part is actually stated by a character in a later episode.)

Not only are these problems ignored, but it even turns into full-on emotional abuse after the violin performance via victim blaming. “I collapsed because of the stress someone gave me because they refused to play” (paraphrased). It's totally unfair and wrong: they essentially forced him to relive a trauma then berate him when he does poorly. Then, to add more insult to injury, it's used later as leverage to guilt trip Kousei into reliving his trauma yet again via a piano competition.

The entire method in which Kousei recovers from his trauma is suspension-breaking and offensive.

It gets even worse, though; the latter problems are even more offensive than the former ones. Leading up to the climax of Kousei's inner struggle with his abuse, the writer/director (I don't know which) decided it would be a good idea to portray Saki in a "positive" light. They started showing scenes of her making justifications for herself. In the scene following her hitting of Kousei and drawing blood (which DOES juxtapose horribly, even offensively, with the bloody comedy), she starts talking about how she loves him so much and worries about his future. Bullcrap. Later, she talks about how she won't be able to protect him; how she just wants him to have a future in music; etc. More bullcrap. In essence, it tries to make the abuse look like it stems from love, when it does not. She was taking out her frustration with the world on him; she was overstepping her role as a parent and forcing her desires on Kousei- who, being a child, wanted to please his mommy. Immediately after these scenes, it shows a scene of Saki and Kousei together before she became abusive, embracing.

After all of these scenes of false justification on Saki's part, and the sudden happy scene, we get a thought from Kousei seemingly out of nowhere: "I knew all along. The ghost of my mother was a shadow of my own creation. An excuse for me to run away. My own weakness."

Those lines take a dump on anyone who's suffered abuse and its aftereffects, and it continues to be suspension-breaking with the following lines: "My mom isn't there anymore. Mom... is inside me." Scenes are then shown of them embracing- happy memories. Kousei is (wrongfully) leaving the blame on himself and pretending the happy memories are all that existed. Without addressing the abusive actions themselves, this cannot be construed as forgiveness or "moving on". Rather, this is showcasing denial as the solution while simultaneously portraying Saki as "loving".

I find that extremely offensive and suspension-breaking.

There are other parts as well (such as the bridge-shoving scenes, which Tsubaki's friend even called her out on, and the fireworks scene recreating the sensation of drowning that Kousei felt whenever he played the piano), but the above parts were the main ones. Higashi's claim that anyone who is familiar with real life abuse first-hand or second-hand also finds the show offensive holds true for me as well (save mayu, to an extent). In fact, I know of people who had panic attacks watching the early portions of this show- to the point that they had to drop it.

Now Kousei is parading around without a care for his past nor a lick of depression. He's just having love problems now. We get to see Tsubaki continue to act like she owns Kousei, and see Kaori (almost certainly) die and cause so many "feels" despite acting so selfishly around Kousei. How utterly disappointing for a show that had so much potential.

Nidhoeggr said:
This anime is full of horrible women and the writer is an idiot.
Why is the concept of fucking psychotherapy foreign to anyone in Japan The dude has serious mental problems, yet the authors thinks that a cute companion can somehow cure these severe issues through sheer "love and attention"? This is not how it works...

ESPECIALLY WHEN BOTH YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIENDS AND YOUR SUPPOSED LOVE INTEREST ARE ABUSIVE AS FUCK AND DO EVERYTHING TO FORTIFY SAID TRAUMA

Seriously:
- Violent behaviour towards a mentally damaged person.
- Stalking and bullying him into joining activities he doesn't want to do.
- Making him relive the most traumatic experiences in his life.

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for the female main characters here? Because all I see are some people who use a fake altruism to foster highly egocentrical goals while putting their supposed friend through suffering. And even worse is the fact that the anime's messages seem to support these girls. Even his friend joins in on the "disbelief at his lack of accompanying ability" train despite better knowledge. Why!?
It's baffling how the author thinks we can be supportive of such a rotten personality just because she is good at playing music and looks cute? Oh, because she has a disease! Give me a break: Another way to add cheap drama and make her sympathetic despite our better knowledge.

Everything Kaori did was egocentric so far (She only wants a good support for her violin and even gets mad when he actually gets better at the end of the performance because he "might steal her thunder"!) and it is baffling to see so many people both in-universe and here being supportive of her. And Kousei's sickness gets downplayed simply because
a) the author is too incompetent to write it more realistically or
b) the author is a giant asshole who thinks psychological trauma is not serious and is fun to mock.

I think it is a mixture of both.

Ironicallly enough though, the anime mirrors Kaori: Nice looks and presentation, but rotten content. But since apparently appearances matter more than content, this criticism will not garner much attention.

I said:
The disgusting thing about Shigatsu is that it pretends to seriously tackle the issue of abuse while ending up being extremely hypocritical about it since it still can't let go of the 'female abuse for comedy' trope. Usually that trope is just mildly annoying but ignorable, but in the context of that show where abuse, pressure and emotional distress coming from his mother = bad and traumatic, but when Kaori is doing it = good and helpful and funneh because she's a cute girl.

Everything the show does in regard to trauma, psychological issues and abuse is just WRONG and harmful but it is portrayed as the best thing that could have happened to him, which actively disgusts me and makes me cringe more than any other anime before it. Pressuring someone and telling him to 'man up and not be a pussy' (which is what she basically did) instead of taking his obviously psychosomatic trauma seriously and having it treated by a professional is just terrible and there's no excuse for it.

You simply can't expect to have even on ounce of credibility left regarding the topic of trauma and abuse AND still portray it in the usual, comedic anime matter, but Shitgatsu does exactly that. It even regularly triggers flashbacks of his childhood trauma when Kaori/the girls are doing their thing with the MC, it can't really get more obviously hypocritical.

I don't even need to talk about the shitty dialogue a la 'The winter rain tastes like lemonade.' to justify why I hate this show so much.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 20, 2015 10:20 AM

Jul 2014
I'll add a quote as well.
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Let me quote some posts:

TripleSRank said:
My main problem with Shigatsu is the framing and premise for the in-story events. Kousei was given a good backstory to give depth to his character; namely his psychologically and physically abusive mother. This made his introverted tendencies and dramatizations of events believable and even relatable. It also gave him an interesting/unique relationship with the piano, a sort of love/hate relationship thanks to the trauma associated with it. He tried so hard to please his mother, to "earn" her love, but he failed and it crushed him. Now, despite the piano being something so connected to him, he can't bring himself to play it because it reawakens said trauma: The inability to hear the notes isn't literal, but mental- a coping mechanism. Kousei is a dramatic and depressive sort of person, after all.

None of that is bad. In fact, by itself it is a superb premise. The problem arose with Kaori and Tsubaki started pushing him. The pushing itself wasn't bad; Kousei viewed his life as empty and meaningless. He needed a push. However, the way they pushed was all wrong. They were giving him "hell on earth" over playing the piano. They put music sheets everywhere; they kept bugged him about it incessantly; Kaori even guilt-tripped him. It was bullying, plain and simple, and while I can't fault Kaori for that, Tsubaki knew Kousei's background and should have been more sensitive.

Still, depicting bullying in itself isn't a bad thing. You could even justify it in that these are middle school students who probably though they were actually doing something helpful (though I don't feel realism is always desirable in fiction, but I digress). However, what makes it a problem is how the anime framed it. Kousei was depicted as having psychological trauma and the anime frames the bullying as the solution to his problem. It is flippantly unbelievable and even offensive. Rather than suffering a breakdown (a realistic reaction), he sees it as a wonderful experience! Reliving the trauma of his past is so amazing now that he has this pretty girl in front of him.

The story is completely belittling and outright ignoring the realities of those who have suffered abuse. It might not be a problem in a series that doesn't take itself seriously, but Shigatsu definitely does, and it treats the issue with total disrespect. "Man up Kousei! You should be totally okay since this pretty girl likes you!" (The "man up" part is actually stated by a character in a later episode.)

Not only are these problems ignored, but it even turns into full-on emotional abuse after the violin performance via victim blaming. “I collapsed because of the stress someone gave me because they refused to play” (paraphrased). It's totally unfair and wrong: they essentially forced him to relive a trauma then berate him when he does poorly. Then, to add more insult to injury, it's used later as leverage to guilt trip Kousei into reliving his trauma yet again via a piano competition.

The entire method in which Kousei recovers from his trauma is suspension-breaking and offensive.

It gets even worse, though; the latter problems are even more offensive than the former ones. Leading up to the climax of Kousei's inner struggle with his abuse, the writer/director (I don't know which) decided it would be a good idea to portray Saki in a "positive" light. They started showing scenes of her making justifications for herself. In the scene following her hitting of Kousei and drawing blood (which DOES juxtapose horribly, even offensively, with the bloody comedy), she starts talking about how she loves him so much and worries about his future. Bullcrap. Later, she talks about how she won't be able to protect him; how she just wants him to have a future in music; etc. More bullcrap. In essence, it tries to make the abuse look like it stems from love, when it does not. She was taking out her frustration with the world on him; she was overstepping her role as a parent and forcing her desires on Kousei- who, being a child, wanted to please his mommy. Immediately after these scenes, it shows a scene of Saki and Kousei together before she became abusive, embracing.

After all of these scenes of false justification on Saki's part, and the sudden happy scene, we get a thought from Kousei seemingly out of nowhere: "I knew all along. The ghost of my mother was a shadow of my own creation. An excuse for me to run away. My own weakness."

Those lines take a dump on anyone who's suffered abuse and its aftereffects, and it continues to be suspension-breaking with the following lines: "My mom isn't there anymore. Mom... is inside me." Scenes are then shown of them embracing- happy memories. Kousei is (wrongfully) leaving the blame on himself and pretending the happy memories are all that existed. Without addressing the abusive actions themselves, this cannot be construed as forgiveness or "moving on". Rather, this is showcasing denial as the solution while simultaneously portraying Saki as "loving".

There are other parts as well (such as the bridge-shoving scenes, which Tsubaki's friend even called her out on, and the fireworks scene recreating the sensation of drowning that Kousei felt whenever he played the piano), but the above parts were the main ones. Higashi's claim that anyone who is familiar with real life abuse first-hand or second-hand also finds the show offensive holds true for me as well (save mayu, to an extent). In fact, I know of people who had panic attacks watching the early portions of this show- to the point that they had to drop it.

Now Kousei is parading around without a care for his past nor a lick of depression. He's just having love problems now. We get to see Tsubaki continue to act like she owns Kousei, and see Kaori (almost certainly) die and cause so many "feels" despite acting so selfishly around Kousei. How utterly disappointing for a show that had so much potential.

Nidhoeggr said:
Why is the concept of fucking psychotherapy foreign to anyone in Japan The dude has serious mental problems, yet the authors thinks that a cute companion can somehow cure these severe issues through sheer "love and attention"? This is not how it works...

ESPECIALLY WHEN BOTH YOUR CHILDHOOD FRIENDS AND YOUR SUPPOSED LOVE INTEREST ARE ABUSIVE AS FUCK AND DO EVERYTHING TO FORTIFY SAID TRAUMA

Seriously:

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for the female main characters here? Because all I see are some people who use a fake altruism to foster highly egocentrical goals while putting their supposed friend through suffering. And even worse is the fact that the anime's messages seem to support these girls. Even his friend joins in on the "disbelief at his lack of accompanying ability" train despite better knowledge. Why!?
It's baffling how the author thinks we can be supportive of such a rotten personality just because she is good at playing music and looks cute? Oh, because she has a disease! Give me a break: Another way to add cheap drama and make her sympathetic despite our better knowledge.

Everything Kaori did was egocentric so far (She only wants a good support for her violin and even gets mad when he actually gets better at the end of the performance because he "might steal her thunder"!) and it is baffling to see so many people both in-universe and here being supportive of her. And Kousei's sickness gets downplayed simply because
b) the author is a giant asshole who thinks psychological trauma is not serious and is fun to mock.

Ironicallly enough though, the anime mirrors Kaori: Nice looks and presentation, but rotten content. But since apparently appearances matter more than content, this criticism will not garner much attention.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The disgusting thing about Shigatsu is that it pretends to seriously tackle the issue of abuse while ending up being extremely hypocritical about it since it still can't let go of the 'female abuse for comedy' trope. Usually that trope is just mildly annoying but ignorable, but in the context of that show where abuse, pressure and emotional distress coming from his mother = bad and traumatic, but when Kaori is doing it = good and helpful and funneh because she's a cute girl.

Everything the show does in regard to trauma, psychological issues and abuse is just WRONG and harmful but it is portrayed as the best thing that could have happened to him, which actively disgusts me and makes me cringe more than any other anime before it. Pressuring someone and telling him to 'man up and not be a pussy' (which is what she basically did) instead of taking his obviously psychosomatic trauma seriously and having it treated by a professional is just terrible and there's no excuse for it.

You simply can't expect to have even on ounce of credibility left regarding the topic of trauma and abuse AND still portray it in the usual, comedic anime matter, but Shitgatsu does exactly that. It even regularly triggers flashbacks of his childhood trauma when Kaori/the girls are doing their thing with the MC, it can't really get more obviously hypocritical.

I don't even need to talk about the shitty dialogue a la 'The winter rain tastes like lemonade.' to justify why I hate this show so much.

Okashi_sama said:
I agree with Higashi on this, but that's not my main problem with Shigatsu.

Anyway, The dialogues, the damn dialogues. They are probably the worst dialogues I have ever came across in anime. For a romance anime about middle school kids, they sure have a wide vocabulary. The amount of pointless monologues which are trying to be deep and have a meaning is so just too much. And the metaphors. oh boi, they literally pointless and pretentious. trying to add the slightest meaning to the smallest of events by using stars, seasons, colors.. etc just doesn't fit and make sense. They also make any scenes, like when Arima's girl rival (whatever her name) see him finishing his piano play ostentatious. It's all over exaggerated to the point that any connection with the viewer that the show is trying to establish fails hard, and drives the viewer away by the amount of bullshit that he is seeing.

The comedy moments are also bad and poorly handled. They are mostly forced and out of place.
OkashiMar 20, 2015 10:24 AM
Mar 20, 2015 11:53 AM

Sep 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I don't give a shit about the melodrama in Shitgatsu, that is decidedly NOT the main reason why this show is bad, nay, disgusting. In fact I like a lot of shows people call melodramatic (Ano Hana, Kokoro Connect for example). Key stuff is just too convoluted and far-fetched with all those tragic backstories for every single cast member. It's just more silly than dramatic to me. It does NOT draw emotions out of me, which is why I tend to dislike their shows compared to other shows people also call melodramatic.
And Shitgatsu has much deeper-rooted issues as I mentioned.

Here take 2 rants about Shitgatsu that explain why this show is so terrible (one is from me and one isn't):
[spoiler]

Seriously:

Mar 20, 2015 11:54 AM

Jun 2014
How many threads are we going to make about the same thing?
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Mar 20, 2015 11:59 AM

Apr 2009
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Let me quote some posts:

TripleSRank said:

Nidhoeggr said:

Seriously:

I said:

Nothing more to add.
Then again, MAL was always superficial and did not like thinking about "simple entertainment XDD" so I should not be suprised.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 20, 2015 12:09 PM

Mar 2013
10/10 because Unicorn is out of the top 100, so fuck everything, let's just see how far the madness can go.

top 10 or bust.
Mar 20, 2015 1:27 PM

Jan 2015
Dear: Higashi and other people with long quote towers and no spoiler buttons.

I do not know where you guys got this idea that the author was trying to tackle abuse in some way or that he was mentally damaged by his mother's abuse. The guy couldn't play the piano only after his mother passed away, if the author was trying to tackle abuse, he would've done so by showcasing his mother beating him so bad that eventually he just froze up and couldn't play piano anymore while she was alive or something similar. If you recall when he told his mother to go die, he was pissed as fuck, not traumatized lol.

Did you listen to what the ghost of his mother was saying all the time when he tried to play piano but went into a hole? "This is your punishment". This is clearly stating his inner demons that he feels regret and that he couldn't satisfy his dying mother of her last wish.

Moving onto his mother, her past was shown to exhibit her extreme love for his son and that in the end, unfortunately, her illness took control of her and warped her mind to the point where she thought that abuse was a legitimate way for her to educate her son. Btw, on another note people have panic attacks/PTSD from seeing their traumatic moments relived in real-time, not a piece of film/literature failing to demonstrate that said abusive elements were wrong.

The only other thing I can address is the dialogue, well..............it's anime drama so yea fine things got out of hand for a few seconds, I can live wit it.

- Sincerely
HasHash
HasHashMar 20, 2015 1:48 PM
Mar 20, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2009
You bloody admit she abused him and then try to advocate that this show isn't about overcoming abuse... And justifying this is part of the horrible framing this anime does constantly. There is just so much wrong with your doublethink that it is honestly not worth arguing with you.

Also, screw spoilers. This is a discussion about the show's merits after it ended. if you haven't even finished the show you shouldn't read this anyway.
NidhoeggrMar 20, 2015 1:53 PM
Mar 20, 2015 1:51 PM

Mar 2013
HasHash said:
Dear: Higashi and other people with long quote towers and no spoiler buttons.

I do not know where you guys got this idea that the author was trying to tackle abuse in some way or that he was mentally damaged by his mother's abuse.

You didn't watch the show did you?
Mar 20, 2015 1:53 PM

Jan 2015
Nidhoeggr said:
You bloody admit she abused him and then try to advocate that this show isn't about overcoming abuse... And justifying this is part of the horrible framing this anime does constantly.

Yes, she abused him but where in the hell did he ever portray feelings of trauma when being abused? never

He was always like, "it's okay, I know my mom is doing this because of my benefit" ...by no means was he hiding under a bed or anything like that.

You can't overcome feelings of shock if they were never there.
Mar 20, 2015 1:55 PM

Apr 2009
HasHash said:

Yes, she abused him but where in the hell did he ever portray feelings of trauma when being abused? never

So you basically admit you are too dumb to follow the content of the show you try to defend here....
Mar 20, 2015 1:56 PM

Jan 2015
Nidhoeggr said:
HasHash said:

So you basically admit you are too dumb to follow the content of the show you try to defend here....

Give me a quote, an image anything to prove this

All you ever keep saying is you're wrong where are your examples? if you can't do anything but talk out of your ass then don't bother to post some minority accepted argument that has nothing to say except you're dumb
Mar 20, 2015 1:58 PM

Mar 2013
HasHash said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Fuck it I'm too lazy to find the screenshot of him bleeding out of his head from being caned.
Mar 20, 2015 2:04 PM

Jan 2015
fst said:
HasHash said:

Fuck it I'm too lazy to find the screenshot of him bleeding out of his head from being caned.

Auxoran said:

Did you watch the show with your eyes or your asshole?

OMFG WTF lol it's like you just overlooked the entirety of what I said

If you wanna say that he was beaten the shit out of to the point of no return then fine but that and him being actually traumatized and showing it clearly or even subtly are two very different things.

It's pretty much on the same philosophical level that a first grader thinks at.
Mar 20, 2015 2:05 PM

Mar 2013
Most people consider being beaten to be evidence of trauma but if you want to argue semantics....
Mar 20, 2015 2:07 PM

Nov 2013
fst said:
Most people consider being beaten to be a form of trauma but if you want to argue semantics....
Do I see another similar/same war or are my expectations too high?
Mar 20, 2015 2:10 PM

Jan 2015
fst said:
Most people consider being beaten to be a form of trauma but if you want to argue semantics....

Definition of trauma: "a deeply distressing or disturbing experience"
If he didn't feel deeply distressed or disturbed by it how is it trauma?

Oh and in Japan and Asian countries in general it's common to see beatings as a form of discipline. Speaking from experience.
Mar 20, 2015 2:11 PM

Jul 2014
HasHash said:
fst said:

O.O....

Mind = blown.
"Hi!"
Mar 20, 2015 2:13 PM

Jan 2015
_P5 said:
HasHash said:

O.O....

Mind = blown.

lol read the arguments beforehand again if you didn't
Mar 20, 2015 2:17 PM

Mar 2013
HasHash said:
_P5 said:

O.O....

Mind = blown.

lol read the arguments beforehand again if you didn't

Oh wow ok I see what you're saying now. The way that we was just able to go about life afterwards without having to be institutionalized or anything, go to school, hang out with friends, etc just like normal means that he didn't suffer at all from what his mother did to him. Absolutely no lasting consequences at all from any that.

I'm so sorry I didn't read your post carefully, but now that I understand, I absolutely and completely agree with you.
Mar 20, 2015 3:45 PM

Sep 2008
I like animation (these colors, that sakura and supernatural effects), seiyuu, music and few characters.
Dislike romance (I do not appreciate Kaori's lied about liking Watari and used him to get close to Kousei) and drama (after a while... I was really tried about it)
Really I get pissed when Kousei after moving again going to emo mode...

But this was good series, just that ending don't give me lot of feelings like for example Angel Beats
Mar 20, 2015 9:37 PM

Apr 2010
Overall it was a decent series, but could have been a lot better if it wasn't trying so hard with all the drama and overly emo overmonologuing. The first half was good in general, and is probably one of the reasons why I still gave it a 6, but the 2nd half was tiring. Oh and I liked the music and all too, plus the colours were nice and vibrant.

Gotta say though, Kaori is a pretty shitty character, and she was poorly handled too. She just became a plot device used to cause crap here n there, and her personality wasn't really good either. The entire cast of the show were either average or poor too, with the exception of one or maybe two.

Plus the whole feels that people talk about, I barely get any from this. I didn't get all that much from, say, Clannad either, both series feel like they are forcing the feels onto you and it doesn't come very natural, both tried too hard, and that kills the feels for me, but at least Clannad did nail some scenes perfectly.

But yeah, all and all I did like it to an extent, but it's no heartbreaker of a story simply because it tried too hard to be a good one.
antonnnMar 20, 2015 9:45 PM
Mar 20, 2015 10:00 PM

Jun 2010
MC abused by his mom, magically forgives her as if she never caned a 5 year old (or somewhere around that age). Girl of his dreams abuses him physically and verbally, while playful, still its pretty ridiculous and mostly used for comedic relief but in a show trying to be so serious it was ridiculously damaging to the story. Kaori felt like a joke the entire series, her being sick felt like such a heavy handed plot device that it just felt so unnatural.

Frankly it felt like it was just trying painfully hard to trick people into thinking it was deep and emotional which sadder still seems it has suceeded, when all it ever was was emotional bait for those who can't look past its cute girl dying and not-even-actually-tragic hero.

4/10. I was tempted to bring it up after all was revealed in the final ep but I can't bring myself to with how poorly the rest of the show was executed. Pretty fucking annoyed the show was another bait and switch (I wanted music and was left with scenes rehashed 100xs and a pathetic sob story).
Mar 20, 2015 10:24 PM

Jan 2011
Japan knows jack shit about handling trauma.
Mar 20, 2015 10:40 PM

Oct 2012
- Out of place comedy
- Too many monologues with each one trying too hard to be poetic or symbolic
- Predictable drama later on
- Almost all female characters got their screen time but were badly written and very annoying.
- Too little character development for Kaori to feel emotionally invested for. A few monologues and one letter aren't gonna cut it.

+ Great OPs, EDs, OSTs, VAs
+ Beautiful colors and scenery
Mar 20, 2015 10:42 PM
Aug 2014
I personally think they could've done the ending better; everyone's getting too caught up in the fact that it was sad, that some didn't even realize that it was way too fast to be sad. The episode before? Great, set up this one perfectly, but the imagery in this episode took it a little too far. Kousei was like "I know she's gonna die". Like no faith holy shit. And then it just ends w/flashbacks and the small resolution. I think we could've at least expanded on what happened IMMEDIATELY after she died, like when Kousei got the news or something; I definitely think that would've been best. We could've done the ending over two more episodes to give us a little more closure; the ending was far from being "good", there just wasn't enough substance there compared to the other episodes that actually invoked something into the viewers.
Mar 20, 2015 11:00 PM

Jan 2014
It had a great first half, but the second half was just garbage, and it got worse and worse each episode. I think the MAL community is ratting it high on purpose to get attention, that or casuals who have seen less than 50 anime rate it a 10/10
Mar 21, 2015 12:35 AM

Aug 2013
DAMN CASUALS I HATE ALL OF YOU

favorites one piece, little buster
Mar 21, 2015 12:38 AM

Apr 2010
Well Little Busters was definitely better than Shigatsu, I actually got feels from it.

Plus I do feel it's pretty sad that so many people on this forum have to go to somebody else's profile to look for something to give them shit about, whether it's a rating or favourite series, it's so childish.
Mar 21, 2015 1:09 AM

Jun 2011
icontinuetofight said:

One Piece is objectively better than your favorite anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 21, 2015 6:14 AM

Oct 2013
+ Fantastic character development for Kousei with a proper closure
+ The supporting cast serves it's purpose well, to help Kousei move forward
+ Kousei's trauma is well portrayed, making for some good drama
+ Overall a well-structured story that didn't loose track of it's main purpose, a.k.a. Kousei's development
+ Good/great classical music performances
+ Good visuals when it matters the most
+ Great atmosphere overall

- Bad and random comedy that ruins the serious dramatic moments
- Show can get awfully melodramatic quite often
- Lacks subtlety when it's the type of show that'd benefit greatly from it, even in some of it's better, non-melodramatic moments
- Obvious emotional manipulation by using the sick girl trope with Kaori, instead of letting the audience decide how they should feel towards her
- Heavy usage of the manic pixie dream girl trope early on in a show that takes itself very seriously. I ended up accepting it in the end but they could've at least tone it down a notch.
- Character interactions weren't very good most of the time, the main offender here being between Kousei & Kaori, which should've been a given

For a while now I've come to embrace the fact that it comes down to how much do the pros & cons weigh for each of us. I value character interactions a lot, and Shigatsu kind of failed at that so it was a big downer for me. I also value the main character(s) development a lot, and Shigatsu did a damn good job at that, so a big plus there. I don't think I need to go on with this, you guys get where I'm coming from.

Now let's talk about teh feelz:

Shigatsu relies a lot on how much feels you'll get after all, way too much I'd say. But it's fun to get lost in the feels, IMO, so just going with it, which is what most of the MAL community did judging by how high it's ranked might not be so bad. I enjoy all teh feelz as well and have no intention of turning into a cold logic bastard - tried it, it had it's charms but then I tried the former as well, it was way more fun.

Alas, feels alone won't make a show great for me and even then, Shigatsu has the problem where the feels you get aren't really genuine in that if you don't deliberately let yourself be emotionally manipulated, you might not even get them, or not as much anyway. I did let myself be emotionally manipulated because my purpose was mainly to enjoy the show, rather than criticize it. It worked but there's a limit to how well it worked. So, it got a 7/10 from me though I was strongly debating between that or an 8 right after I watched the final episode, which I though was awesome - but I would've lowered it to a 7 a few weeks or months afterwards, so might as well do it now.

Also, rank 15? Definitely overrated. Shouldn't even be a question about it. But overrated =/= bad.
Mar 21, 2015 7:09 AM

Jul 2012
MgMaster said:
+ Fantastic character development for Kousei with a proper closure
+ The supporting cast serves it's purpose well, to help Kousei move forward
+ Kousei's trauma is well portrayed, making for some good drama
+ Overall a well-structured story that didn't loose track of it's main purpose, a.k.a. Kousei's development
+ Good/great classical music performances
+ Good visuals when it matters the most
+ Great atmosphere overall

- Bad and random comedy that ruins the serious dramatic moments
- Show can get awfully melodramatic quite often
- Lacks subtlety when it's the type of show that'd benefit greatly from it, even in some of it's better, non-melodramatic moments
- Obvious emotional manipulation by using the sick girl trope with Kaori, instead of letting the audience decide how they should feel towards her
- Heavy usage of the manic pixie dream girl trope early on in a show that takes itself very seriously. I ended up accepting it in the end but they could've at least tone it down a notch.
- Character interactions weren't very good most of the time, the main offender here being between Kousei & Kaori, which should've been a given

For a while now I've come to embrace the fact that it comes down to how much do the pros & cons weigh for each of us. I value character interactions a lot, and Shigatsu kind of failed at that so it was a big downer for me. I also value the main character(s) development a lot, and Shigatsu did a damn good job at that, so a big plus there. I don't think I need to go on with this, you guys get where I'm coming from.

Now let's talk about teh feelz:

Shigatsu relies a lot on how much feels you'll get after all, way too much I'd say. But it's fun to get lost in the feels, IMO, so just going with it, which is what most of the MAL community did judging by how high it's ranked might not be so bad. I enjoy all teh feelz as well and have no intention of turning into a cold logic bastard - tried it, it had it's charms but then I tried the former as well, it was way more fun.

Alas, feels alone won't make a show great for me and even then, Shigatsu has the problem where the feels you get aren't really genuine in that if you don't deliberately let yourself be emotionally manipulated, you might not even get them, or not as much anyway. I did let myself be emotionally manipulated because my purpose was mainly to enjoy the show, rather than criticize it. It worked but there's a limit to how well it worked. So, it got a 7/10 from me though I was strongly debating between that or an 8 right after I watched the final episode, which I though was awesome - but I would've lowered it to a 7 a few weeks or months afterwards, so might as well do it now.

Also, rank 15? Definitely overrated. Shouldn't even be a question about it. But overrated =/= bad.
I agree with most of this.

I'll add I didn't like how they spammed the crap out of those cherry blossoms; the visuals as a whole were quite over the top and quite distracting at times. The children’s character designs also looked retarded. Blatant copy of the little fairies from Jinrui Wa Suitai Shimashita.

That Chopin duet tho!!!
Konbu is important
Mar 21, 2015 7:42 AM

Nov 2012
Ranked #15th on MAL and it might go even higher.

Welp, another reason to never let anyone know I use this site. Is shitty melodrama all it takes to be top 20?
Mar 21, 2015 8:09 AM

Aug 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
icontinuetofight said:

One Piece is objectively better than your favorite anime.

it don't make it good
Mar 21, 2015 8:17 AM
Feb 2014
People need to realise that people like different stuff. I personally love romantic dramas, but i can understand why some people dont. Dont hate on an anime having a high rating if the majority of people enjoyed it?

I think this series was absolutely beautiful and dont think it is overrated at all. It kept me intrigued every week and all the characters were very loveable in my opinion. I dont understand why some people hated the characters so much? But like i said opinions are opinions.
Mar 21, 2015 8:19 AM

Oct 2011
antonnn said:
Well Little Busters was definitely better than Shigatsu, I actually got feels from it.

Plus I do feel it's pretty sad that so many people on this forum have to go to somebody else's profile to look for something to give them shit about, whether it's a rating or favourite series, it's so childish.

Little Buster's last episode was one giant plot hole. It was terrible.

I might not be fanboying about this show but don't compare that garbage to this.
Mar 21, 2015 9:46 AM

Nov 2014
9/10 for me

-Good Character development
-Character background was good
-Music is impeccable
-The story was so god damn good!
-How you can relate to being the so call "Third Wheel" of the relationship (this is just me)

I just gave it a 9 since the ending was the one I HATED the most! Why couldn't it have been. . . The lie. . . What is this atrocity! I so hated the ending, why? why? though I saw the "sickly girl like mom" cliche ahead, but why the god damn ending? (T_T)
Mar 21, 2015 10:08 AM

Apr 2013
9/10.
The positive aspects I like were already mentioned.

It's not a masterpiece, but it's one of my favourite anime series at the moment.

So why no 10/10 rating?
Some negative aspects were already mentioned, but I will repeat the aspects that I didn't like. First, the little gag scenes weren't really good. They were quite annoying. Additionally, the characters were a great [-] point. The only one to develop was Kousei. Kaori's presentation was also good. The brown-hair girl (I don't even remember hier name) was annoying and there wasn't any development. Only boring drama. Her friend was very annyoing and Watari's presence was unnecessary.
Mar 21, 2015 10:16 AM

Sep 2013
Have never really been a fan of melodrama. Art and music was great though. 7/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Mar 21, 2015 10:27 AM

Jun 2014
Naxrrhid said:
Ranked #15th on MAL and it might go even higher.

Welp, another reason to never let anyone know I use this site. Is shitty melodrama all it takes to be top 20?

haha, it's not like anyone cares you use the website anyway lmfao

deal with it bitches
:3
Mar 21, 2015 10:38 AM

Dec 2013
I love how all of these walls of text in the first page were written by people who haven't finished the series ( hell, some didn't even watch half of it ). And of course, for the most part they have no idea what are they even talking about.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
11 hours ago

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Is this worth watching even if you got spoiled on the ending ? ( 1 2 )

Mister_WD - Apr 23, 2022

70 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 15, 11:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.