Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 20, 2015 10:41 PM

Oct 2013
Poor Maisen.
Oct 26, 2015 10:11 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Nothing much happens, but it felt like an introduction to an epic adventure. I liked how much it felt like a game, even if it is based on a game. It was a good promo, as it piqued my interest.
Oct 30, 2015 7:39 AM

Feb 2008
I wish the old video games OVAs were like this. I'd rather see a well adapted prologue than a mess where they try to tell the main plot in 40min. One thing they fucked up badly was that Lunarre appeared before Alisha left. Which led to that horrible firework scene that made all Serpahs into lunatics lol.

The visuals were pretty average, but I guess better than your usual Tales of Quality.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Dec 15, 2015 4:21 AM

Jul 2013
It's just 40 mins so I didn't expect much from the story.

My biggest gripe would be Maisen's death. Dafuq they just saw one of their villagers die and after that they were like "OK, lets do some fireworks for our guest" because apparently someone they barely new was more important that a close person.

They also let the Hyouma go like wtf? You just said it yourself that they completely outnumbered him and he was no match for all of them but you just have to let him go even though he killed one of your villagers. The elder is one stupid grandpa.

Sorey just realized that the Hyouma was after Alisha but he doesn't seem that worried when he has the time to chat around with Meklios.

The visuals, animation and OST were nice. I like Meklios and Alisha and Sorey is fine at the moment. At least they're planning a proper adaptation on a Tales of game instead of the 40 min OVAs they did for Symphonia. Gosh I wish they'd remake that shit.
Jan 17, 2016 1:29 PM

Sep 2013
this one is great!!
as someone who played the game its perfact! almost 90% of the attacks used were real hidden/martial/shrephic arte, the layout of the village,ruin were on point and the event were just like in the game!
this is like when a anime follows everystep of his amazing manga!
every game should have something like this!

as a anime alone i wouldnt give it that high rateing,but as a kinda of proluge for the game its perfact!!! even that i already played the game it made me get hyped for it again!
i got no gif for my signature..... imagine some cool swords clashing and light and fighting everywhere!
Feb 6, 2016 5:23 PM

Nov 2007
They clipped that post-credits ending directly from the video game. I don't know whether to call that cheap or clever.
Feb 7, 2016 6:15 AM

Jan 2016
As someone who played the game 'Tales of Zestiria' itself I was a little disappointed and I already knew everything what was gonna happen in this episode.
But besides that the animations are quite decent and this is supposed to be the begin of the story so I guess you can't expect too much from it.
Alot of people disliked the game like myself but the story was really amazing so I really hope they will make something good out of the Anime Series.
Mar 22, 2016 10:53 AM

Feb 2015
tbh, i found this pretty interesting imo. a little bit confused, obvious, because this is special or OVA episode, so i expected that. i didn't play the game too so yeah....
for the animation, as expected from ufotable, a great animation especially the action :D really like that. the character design was pretty good imo. welp, i was expecting to see this girl in here tho....

i think i have seen her in a PV but LOL, what did i watch when i watched the PV back then. for sure i saw her in action in the PV when i saw the PV long time ago, but did i see the wrong one ? it is really killing me. i really want to see her in action tho....

PV aside, back to the story, yeah like i said up there, the story looks interesting to me. simple but interesting. that's how i see it. i'm definitely looking foward to the TV series. probably after they finish airing God Eater, then they will start doing the TV series. looking foward to it :D
Mar 26, 2016 4:29 AM

Sep 2010
I found it just now, now that the anime news are out.

Well as someone who played the game this is exactly what I expected and do expect from the anime that will be coming out soon. The goodly animation and music with... kind of cliche but not bad story about saving the world from evil.

I also like how they plot in the two cutscenes directly from the game at the start and the finish :).

But really those fighting scenes were really well made.
Apr 19, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2015
That was really great and beautiful XD It captures all the goodness from the game. Elysia is a very pretty T^T. Love how they animate real artes used in the game too. Pretty impressive and I hope the series will also be as good as this ova. Guess the series will take place on Ladylake straight away then.

I'm liking Alisha's Japanese VA more here. She actually sounds strong and... knightly
Apr 23, 2016 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
Tevens said:
tbh, i found this pretty interesting imo. a little bit confused, obvious, because this is special or OVA episode, so i expected that. i didn't play the game too so yeah....
for the animation, as expected from ufotable, a great animation especially the action :D really like that. the character design was pretty good imo. welp, i was expecting to see this girl in here tho....

i think i have seen her in a PV but LOL, what did i watch when i watched the PV back then. for sure i saw her in action in the PV when i saw the PV long time ago, but did i see the wrong one ? it is really killing me. i really want to see her in action tho....

PV aside, back to the story, yeah like i said up there, the story looks interesting to me. simple but interesting. that's how i see it. i'm definitely looking foward to the TV series. probably after they finish airing God Eater, then they will start doing the TV series. looking foward to it :D

That is Edna and she is one of the playable characters in the game so the preview you saw was probably for the game.

She will be in the upcoming Tales of Zestiria X anime, though.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/30911/Tales_of_Zestiria_the_X
May 22, 2016 1:04 PM

Nov 2009
Hey Mason who is one of our villagers just got eaten by some monster dude, lets celebrate with fireworks!

What the fuck.
Jun 30, 2016 6:13 PM

Nov 2009
Beside the Maisen bull, there were quite a few naive and qestionable parts as well...it was kind of predictable, everything that happened...and they used quite a few cliche anime tropes.

But of course...the visual were amazing. And since this is just a promotion, I guess there is not much to be added.

An eye-candy at its finest... Substance should be looked for elsewhere.

Still, I couldn't help paralleling it to another well known series of nowadays, considered a masterpiece by many.......
And it made me realize just why people are digging this (beside it being a game).
Jul 2, 2016 10:03 AM

Feb 2014
Well... I didn't know about the game or from what work Tales of Zestiria comes from.... I watched this knowing nothing about it.

Considering it, this was an 'Ok' 40 min for me.

6/10
Jul 4, 2016 7:16 AM

Feb 2016
Does this happen before or after Tales of Zestiria X prologue?
Jul 4, 2016 11:47 AM
Mar 2015
James278 said:
Does this happen before or after Tales of Zestiria X prologue?

After. But the upcoming 2 episodes will be an alternative to this OVA
Jul 5, 2016 9:36 AM

Feb 2016
Emirius said:
After. But the upcoming 2 episodes will be an alternative to this OVA
I see. Thanks a lot!
Jul 23, 2016 8:00 AM
Sep 2015
I'm always impressed by Ufotable's spectacular masterpieces! and Tales of Zestiria happened to be a great movie! I was stunned by the breathtaking scenery, colouring, character design, animation etc. I watched it in English dub and the cast wasn't bad either.

8/10
Sep 16, 2016 8:55 AM

Sep 2015
Well.. it was ok the anime is better tho. ( or the game )
Sep 30, 2016 6:23 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice animation, atractive characters, inteligent evil and nice plot for a opened of a new adventure....7/10.
Dec 14, 2016 1:36 PM

Jul 2010
Does anyone know if the OVA is dubbed in English yet?
Jan 13, 2017 12:22 AM

Nov 2010
So, according to the prophecy, Sorey is going to soon disappear when all of the world becomes light. He's exploring the ruins again. I hope that I'm watching the right one and not a rerun. AHAHAHA. I probably wouldn't even notice, to be honest.
WHOOPS. I'M TOTALLY WATCHING THE MOVIE. HAHAHA. I didn't look at the names. Oh, well. I'll go ahead and watch this.

So far, it's starting out like how it was in the first season of the X season. They've cut down on a lot of parts but... That's a movie for ya. We get to see a little bit of wind power from Mikleo. It doesn't show that they aren't supposed to be in those ruins, though. We didn't get no warning from grandpappy---WHOA, THIS IS DIFFERENT. Upon finding the human girl they are trying to get to her but get attacked from a giant spider.

AWWW> FLASHBACK TO A LESSON. Hellions are only beaten through purification but Sorey and Mikleo don't know how to do that so they just jump. The spider hellion fallls and Mikleo reveal a bridge that connects to the human girl. OMMGGG. IT's different but I like it. I'm glad that they have the same voice actors so far, though.

HAHAHHAA. Different, Mikleo goes up to human girl (I ALREADY KNOW HER NAME) and tries to scare her to see if she can see him but she doesn't make a notice so Mikleo stays in the background. Alisha doesn't tell them her name and Sorey invites her to come back to their home. I didn't notice the first time that she couldn't see him so this is good. HAHAHA. Sorey pulling along everybody that Alisha can't even see. MASONNNNN.

AH. This is so cute. Alisha is going around and he's teaching her his ways of hunting so that they both are able to make food instead of Sorey having caught everything. AW. THEY'RE BONDING. Oh, did Sorey just say that he loved her? Maybe not romantically but in a familiar way?

A disturbance in the background. Uhh. Lunarre shows up. Dude. Mason is dead. omg.

Alisha says her 'goodbye' and then Sorey and Mikleo take their leave to go to the festival that she is talking about. That's the end of this story.
WHELP. That was basically the first two episodes of the first season. HAHAHA. Pretty much a recap for me. Oh, well.

There were some nice different parts but there were some parts that were sort of dark. ... cough. Mason. RIP.
Feb 18, 2017 3:31 PM

May 2012
Not too shabby, quite a nice "special" story in general I must say. It sure was an interesting experience, totally looking forward for the second season!
Feb 20, 2017 10:11 AM

Jul 2013
Sooo... Maisen was fucking killed and eaten in front of them and not only they don't try to save him and make a party JUST after he dies, but seraph grandpa also says he has the time of his life since long time ago. Seems legit.
IllyricusFeb 20, 2017 12:52 PM
Apr 30, 2017 5:39 PM

Jun 2011
Far, far, far better prologue than episode 0, interesting world, rather fun male leads with great relationship (I hope there's no betrayal or lame relationship turns sour plot line later on in the series). The girl's better off being a supporting main than the protagonist. I totally dislike that evil dude though, he's so annoying, and so far he's totally one-dimensional = being a psycho, it kinda pissed me off that both Sorey and Mikleo were just standing around looking when that evil dude consumed Mason, also felt really weird when nobody really felt anything for Mason's death.. I mean, he was eaten by another dude..

Pretty decent thus far, hopefully it'll only get better from here on.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 7, 2017 1:51 AM
May 2017
Is it have another episodes?? (For ToZ : DnY)
Sep 14, 2022 9:11 PM

May 2019
Illyricus said:
Sooo... Maisen was fucking killed and eaten in front of them and not only they don't try to save him and make a party JUST after he dies, but seraph grandpa also says he has the time of his life since long time ago. Seems legit.

i just came here looking for this comment, thanks i was not the only one to see how this was ridiculous.

"We just lost 5% of our entire Seraph population... HAHA lets do a party!"

That Maisen must be hated in that village.
Jan 27, 2023 11:29 PM
Jul 2021
Nice way on milking it to the last drop! Why watch this "special" episode when you already have seen the entire series, what's the point?, and what's on watching the first couple episodes of S 1?

And da fuk? there isn't many of them, one dies off, so let's party?! Double da ffuk?!
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Which one should i watch first?

Peyote - Aug 18, 2016

4 by essiw »»
Dec 5, 2016 12:30 PM

» Tales of Zestiria Opening

Ignis_Scientia - Jan 21, 2015

1 by Xaxeth »»
Jul 3, 2016 2:09 PM

» Is this a prequel or adaptation?

HandsomeMan - Jan 1, 2015

20 by Archdaine »»
Jan 31, 2015 5:56 AM

» Gameplay footage + Special Preview

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2014

5 by pikeman1 »»
Jan 22, 2015 4:07 PM

» Episode 2

_Mezzo - Jan 2, 2015

15 by Windfall »»
Jan 7, 2015 2:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.