Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 3, 2009 7:53 AM

Jan 2009
Cho said:
tomin said:
Cho said:
Epic LOLZ for Mao being duct taped to the window. I still would like to know how he's alive again though.
Well, in first season we've seen him changing bodies, haven't we? Since Pecha was with Suou at that time in first episode he could've easily gone "into" Pecha before Mao, as a cat got shot down by April. I'm not even sure if he isn't immortal, since he's just like a soul or something.

I mean at the end of the first season, Mao was hacking into the Syndicate's files and said in essence that his time was over, since his ability to think could be cut off at any time. (AKA if he ever rebelled, his mind would be shut down, which is essentially the same as dying, because the cat would become an ordinary cat again) And then he scratched Yin and scampered off (became a normal cat), which seemed to imply that Mao was dead. But then he's back in the second season somehow. Was Mao just lying at the end of the first season? It just seems like an odd thing to make up.

And if that cat in episode 1 was Mao, that seems confusing as well, because I don't see how he would have had any time whatsoever to switch his mind into the squirrel. He leaped out and was shot instantaneously. It takes at least a moment to make the switch, which Mao didn't have (assuming that cat was Mao).
But I'm mainly concerned with how he's in the second season at all. I'm apparently missing something, because the show hasn't said a word about it at all.

Well he might've had his mind shut off from the his cat-body, but instead he transfered himself into the Syndicate's servers, how's that for one?

Also, I doubt the cat in the first episode was Mao, I just don't think so, no particular reason : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Dec 3, 2009 8:22 AM

Oct 2009
Cho said:
I mean at the end of the first season, Mao was hacking into the Syndicate's files and said in essence that his time was over, since his ability to think could be cut off at any time. (AKA if he ever rebelled, his mind would be shut down, which is essentially the same as dying, because the cat would become an ordinary cat again) And then he scratched Yin and scampered off (became a normal cat), which seemed to imply that Mao was dead. But then he's back in the second season somehow. Was Mao just lying at the end of the first season? It just seems like an odd thing to make up.

And if that cat in episode 1 was Mao, that seems confusing as well, because I don't see how he would have had any time whatsoever to switch his mind into the squirrel. He leaped out and was shot instantaneously. It takes at least a moment to make the switch, which Mao didn't have (assuming that cat was Mao).
But I'm mainly concerned with how he's in the second season at all. I'm apparently missing something, because the show hasn't said a word about it at all.
Well, you've got a point there. And the list of unanswered questions is just expanding, endlessly. That's why I love this show so much, after all. Still, those things really bother me, so I guess most will be answered in those 4 OVAs.
Dec 3, 2009 2:39 PM

Aug 2008
Dude! This week's episode was breathtaking!
Abductions, persecution, killings, girls angry and a fight in high speed!
Dec 6, 2009 4:39 PM

Oct 2008

Nice plan!

Dec 7, 2009 2:00 AM

Aug 2009
Ilja was great, but now he's dead. What a pity.
Dec 29, 2009 5:21 AM

Aug 2009
I've actually began to miss the epic fights in this anime... SUOU CONFRONTS TANYA ?!?! I take back my words.

Awww, I kinda liked that foreigner guy and he got killed in the same episode T.T xD
Jan 9, 2010 12:28 PM

Aug 2009
Oh my, this episode was so good. So, that contractor with a geass-like power died faster than I thought. Hei is pretty experienced when it comes with killing contractors. Heck, he doesn't even have his lightning powers back yet.

Plus, I loved it when July said "Ow" in the ending. It means that he's starting to respon to his emotions now. :D Also, I didn't expect that girl to betray Hei and the gang. So, she was after July all along. Shota dolls...

Wonder what did Shion mean in the end. Ambush? Is Shion an enemy all along? The hell is going on!? Oh, and the most epic part was "HARRO, DO YOU SPEAK JAPANESE?" LMFAO
Mar 11, 2010 5:01 AM

Jan 2009
Liked this ep >.<... July was cute... and Hei was badass

Mar 18, 2010 9:26 AM

Feb 2010
walk said:
My favorite scene in this episode is probably the part where Suou kept throwing the glass shards at the woman, despite Mao yelling "STOP!"

That whole part kept making me go "Oh my god!" at the sheer brutality of it all.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jun 5, 2010 2:35 AM

Sep 2009
Hei's pretty strong...even without his abilities he still can go around killing contractors with nothing more than wire.
Jun 20, 2010 10:17 AM

Feb 2010
Nice episode^^
Suou's good at glass throwing :P
The last scene with the bump was pretty funny too ^^
Aug 5, 2010 11:55 PM
Feb 2008
One of the best episodes so far. Very interesting

I liked the courier lady she was kinda cool too bad she was a jerk. The psycopath Russian contractor was also interesting.

Suou's father being alive was a lolwut (too bad the same can't happen for April ;_;) though I think Shion is the one in control.

Nice to see Suou and July bonding even if it's somewhat confusing (whole contractor emotional thing always seemed odd to me since they do exhibit emotion alot even sometimes)

Hoping for a real fight between Suou and Tanya. The glass shard stuff shows she's gotten much better. Hei's action was pretty intense though I'm sure he was probably missing his mask (assuming the lenses would've protected against the guy's attack)

Still things seem kinda rushing but the political intrigue angle seems heightened with the move to a fully sequential story vs the arcs. Season is pretty good so far though a bit weird. Wouldn't have minded if it went longer I feel like there's a lot of interesting characters that either get killed too quickly or we kinda ignore (like Norio and his dad Genma afor instance)

Also the character designers seem to have gotten even better from last season. The first season was pretty diverse with its character looks especially considering the simplistic art style. But Season 2 seems to be even better.
Oct 28, 2010 2:26 PM

Sep 2010
glass shards as projectiles o.O

and also... Shion is still alive?

Nov 24, 2010 10:06 PM

Oct 2008
July is just too cute.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 25, 2011 1:13 AM

Aug 2010
Brain narcotics, have pleasant dreams...
May 10, 2011 12:11 AM

Feb 2009
What a fantastic episode! Mao is so funny, and Suou was seriously thinking gin hitting him with a snowball LOL! Also July seems to be evolving emotionally, while Hei looks like is returning to his caring old self.
Nov 4, 2011 5:33 PM

May 2010
Lol I like that kid
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 22, 2012 9:35 PM

Nov 2009
It sucks that Hei lost his powers, that crap with the creepy dude almost killing him wouldn't have happened if he could just fry the guys brains into mush.
Sep 9, 2012 4:55 AM

Dec 2010
So much development, once again this season proves that it does better than S1 with half the amount of episodes. July made one step of a development, almost as much as Yin in one of the mid-Season1 episodes back then. Suou developed as a contractor. I don't think I've ever seen development with such a fast pace in an anime to now.

One of my favorite moments was when Hei showed up and the epic beat sounded once again. MAYNG!
Jan 14, 2013 7:58 AM

Jan 2012
Well the episode was really good. I'm glad they rescued July, it wouldn't be the same without him. Also Suou using those pieces of glass was pretty cool.

Mar 24, 2013 3:23 PM

May 2011
Suou can launch glass shards like bullets one moment, but can't throw a snowball at Maou-chan the next, I love it lol. The snowball scene made my day too ^^.

Glad July got saved in the end, Hei (who wins best disguise of the year LOL) came back like a bro. I knew he would too.

Also, that contractor's renumeration was unsightly, but pretty interesting. He got handled pretty quick too (Darker than Black never drags).

Looking forward to the rest!
Mar 30, 2013 10:22 AM

May 2012
A bit sidetracked but good that that's been dealt with! Nice episode lets see what's next! The epilogue was rather interesting!
Jun 10, 2013 4:24 PM

Jun 2012
smart thinking of Suou she did not use her gun as she promised and cool to see Hei still got fighting skills but i really want him to have his powers back.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jul 8, 2013 3:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Meritas said:
July made one step of a development, almost as much as Yin in one of the mid-Season1 episodes back then.

Exactly what I thought :) I'm glad July has some character development. He was so cute when he said, "itai." And also in the beginning when the water droplet hit his neck and he shivered <3

Best part was probably when Hei was crouching on top of that truck and then jumped over to the car. Badass as always.
Jul 24, 2013 10:26 AM

Aug 2012
I like both Suo and July so I loved this episode <3

I lol'd at that contractor that died after like only one episode worth of screentime ahah

Aug 4, 2013 10:31 AM

Sep 2011
OMG July is so freaking cute awesome! Haha
Oct 3, 2013 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode, but I still want to see Hei with his powers back.
Nov 17, 2013 12:33 PM
May 2013
I bet that bitch wanted to sell July to some pedos .
Also that guy was killing people giving them pleasure , what an wonderful way to die .
Jan 25, 2014 6:17 AM

Jul 2013
those people who fell victim to that white-haired contractor all looked like they've seen Sadako.. creepy as hell.. good thing he died looking like them
Jul 7, 2014 4:36 AM

Oct 2013
lol I like how she pokes his bruise XD
[/quote]
Nov 9, 2014 1:10 PM

Aug 2013
Awesome!
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 25, 2015 9:53 AM

Apr 2014
wow.....when Hei was in that costume I didn't realize it was him until the very end......I thought it was a completely new character

looks like he might be returning to his normal self after he discovered Yin

Suou was really cool when she was throwing those glass shards. really hope she doesn't have any feelings for Hei though, she's 13 and he's probably at least 10+ years older than her. plus there's already 3 other gals after him and I'm rooting for Yin
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 9:48 AM

Aug 2013
How can this story survive without Mao ? Hahahaha.
They all get pawned by Hei so easily even without any ability.. phew.
Jul 16, 2015 9:50 AM

May 2015
I really loved when they showed the star leaving the skies when that specific contractor died, it's a really nice (not literally) effect.
Jul 16, 2015 9:51 AM

May 2015
owlpoop said:
wow.....when Hei was in that costume I didn't realize it was him until the very end......I thought it was a completely new character
LOL SAME HERE
Jul 16, 2015 9:52 AM

May 2015
owlpoop said:
really hope she doesn't have any feelings for Hei though, she's 13 and he's probably at least 10+ years older than her. plus there's already 3 other gals after him and I'm rooting for Yin
If so, I'm pretty sure shit's gonna get dangerous. Cat fights (not Mao).
Dec 1, 2015 10:30 PM
May 2012
I really like July now.
It sucks that Hei lost his power, but damn he is still a badass kicking ass.
Jan 28, 2016 4:56 AM

Sep 2013
Suou's training is successful
Mar 6, 2016 7:27 AM

Aug 2014
The dude died so fast that I barely remembered his name...

Suou was fucking badass in this episode.
KashKetchumMar 6, 2016 7:47 AM
Apr 9, 2016 9:40 PM

Jun 2015
Wait wait wait wait that guy is alive O:
Waaaa! beard and glasses..still looking good
July is starting to get closer to the group I mean I hope that happens I wonder if he can be more emotional
FrancosiusApr 9, 2016 10:06 PM
May 14, 2016 2:10 AM

Oct 2012
Still a badass without electric power

Well
Every enemy contractors that met Hei are always dead
At least he's dying with the same death with his victim xD
"Signature removed"
May 31, 2016 6:28 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah that guy was a sicko. Glad he is gone.
Jul 7, 2016 4:30 PM

Nov 2015

Great episode, but Suou and July interactions were just cute, weren't they?

PD: I don't know how this series could survive without Mao. Both Hei and Mao are the best!
Mar 13, 2017 11:22 PM

Jul 2013
Hei looks hot with the hipster look neatly-combed dark long hair, beard and glasses lol
toumei_Mar 14, 2017 12:19 AM
Jul 18, 2017 7:07 PM

May 2010
Wow, for supposedly powerful, creepy ex-murderer with awesome power, the fight between him and Hei was surprisingly short and kinda lame >_> Oh welp, I guess we need to rush through everything now, only a few eps left after all lol.
Jun 20, 2019 3:44 AM

Sep 2012
using glass shards as trowing knives bad-ass

doesn't work as well in real life though
Apr 30, 2020 4:43 PM
Feb 2016
Touching episode. Although they're contractors and a doll, It seems they do care deeply about each other.
Jan 2, 2021 11:00 AM

Jul 2017
Atleast July finally got sometime to actually have some presence in this show and the writers did try to show how even a doll like him has a slight human side to him that's really subtle like how Yin had underground deep emotions in her despite being a doll, especially considering Hei. July got to show a little bit with Suou when she was teasing him or conversed with him in the final portion of the episode. The plot still feels like it's not moving anywhere with hollow writing featured throughout, and questions about the world building are still present from episode 1 and the show's just adding more and more questions without too much resolution but this episode wasn't too bad at least and I wasn't bored.
Apr 11, 2021 4:42 AM

May 2020
I love how this episode basically confirmed that Suou's powers are next to useless in an emergency or close-quarters combat, at least until she learns to manifest a handgun.

Also more of July being cute. But also, if dolls are sooo rare that there's a viable black market for them, why hasn't MI6 come back for July yet ? You'd think they'd spare some people to get an important asset back.
Jul 10, 2021 3:30 AM

Jan 2020
A white guy lol....so what? You're in Russia and it's not like most of the people are black there....
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amphetamine - Dec 24, 2009

672 by Erdgeist »»
Jan 9, 1:03 AM

Poll: » Status poll about Darker than BLACK Second Season Episode 12

KingSunWukong - Dec 15, 2023

2 by Ecarteo »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:25 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 29, 2009

270 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 10, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 22, 2009

315 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 9, 2023 9:29 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Ryuusei no Gemini Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

yakisobapan - Oct 8, 2009

391 by GearheadOtaku »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.