Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 21, 2014 4:39 AM

Oct 2012
^ At first, I had mistakenly thought that this part was a reference to the famous
. .scene of Sharon Stone being interviewed in "Basic Instinct" (1992).

Do they really interview people in this way at animation studios? I thought it was
more common that the job candidate would sit at a table.
Dec 21, 2014 11:45 AM

Feb 2007
This might very well be better than Bakuman. While the situations are even more dire, we also get much more laughing out of this. Well, both have their strengths and weaknesses, though.

"Kanno" next episode will be quite interesting to see as well. I really hope she'll get him, this would be quite a surprise for everyone else at the company.

Those horses...

Helpme said:
Aversa said:

Miyamori is very busy as usual and she also has to work on job interviews as well despite being so busy, well from what i can tell the person that seemed most suited in my eyes was the girl with the yellow hair locks.

She got hired too, they showed her training with Takanashi.

Not necessarily, he was told to evaluate them all. Certainly seemed like the best choice, though, driving skills aside.
Dec 22, 2014 7:56 PM

Oct 2011
Sunrise references OMFG

Bones is that OMG

I G Production OMG

Anno NGE next week OMFG !!!!!

I felt the same way as Miymori during her interview. I'd have trouble picking people too. But I did like the last two girls and last one got chosen. I liked her energy and passion. She will surpass Tarou XDDDD

Ah so this is why Attack on Titan didn't have enough animators for said episodes. Now I understand
Dec 23, 2014 3:10 AM
Jan 2012
All the middle-aged guys at work are adorable.

Doraemon, Oba-Q (Obake no Q-taro), Crayon Shin-chan, and Gundam are icons in Japanese animation and subculture history.

I need more of the Gos-loli sama though...
Dec 24, 2014 1:37 AM

Jun 2013
Aoi has some the weirdest delusions LOL

How does Tarou still have a job? and how does Aoi still have a drivers license
Dec 24, 2014 4:14 AM

Feb 2007
lucidbrandon said:
How does Tarou still have a job? and how does Aoi still have a drivers license

Seeing how Tarou was told to evaluate the candidates' driving skills, you apparently have to drive like Aoi in this business. :D

Also explains how Tarou still has a job - if one of the candidates overdoes it in the driving test, at least he won't be missed. :P
Dec 24, 2014 10:53 AM

Aug 2014
Bee Production - Shin-Ei Animation
Sunup - Sunrise
G.I Staff - J.C Staff
The Born - Bones???

The only reference i'm not complety sure for is The Borne, the only hint i got that it's one of the top anime studios (meaning not some crappy studio like Arms :p)
Dec 24, 2014 4:11 PM
Mar 2013
The reference of The Little Match Girl rather reminded me of A Dog of Flanders. I was about to see Miyamori watching the illusion of the imaginary finale part of Exodus episode 13 when freezing to death on the road.
Dec 24, 2014 4:19 PM

Jun 2014
Finally caught up today after missing 3 eps. I was actually thinking of dropping the show but that would have been a stupid mistake, glad I didn't.

Just so happened to hand in my resignation letter last Friday, so I really felt it when the producer and Aoi's kouhai went through with their decisions. Theirs was smoother ride than mine, lets put it that way xD

I found Aoi a bit bland as a lead character at first, but her delusions with the bear and eyepatch girl <3 I do love ma crazy girls
Dec 24, 2014 4:56 PM
Mar 2013
okanagan said:
Do they really interview people in this way at animation studios? I thought it was
more common that the job candidate would sit at a table.

I had job interviews more than 10 times in Japan (most of them are Japanese but some of are Canadian or the U.S.) As far as I know, the both interviewers and I sit at a same table. But it was only once I sit on a chair alone in front of a large number of interviewers at a time, I was suppose to become a boss of them and the prospective my people needed to know if they could accept my personality. It was a very strange atmosphere because it looked like as if I were the investigator who was evaluating the company. When the interview was over, they showed some facilities of the factory and the guide, who was supposed to be my new boss if I accept the offer, seemed very nervous. I didn't think he could be as stiff as even when he showed the factory to his CEO.
But it was a very rare case for sure. As far as I know, job interviews don't differ in Japan and the other countries. You send resume first, if there was too many applicants, then you meet someone from human resource division as the first trial, if passed you'll meet your prospective coworkers, boss and the executive who finally make the decision. They are usually three to five people and you and them sit at the same table and have some talks frankly. Since they has confirmed the resume before the interview, they don't cast questions much about what you are but rather want to know what kind of job and how you would like to do when they hire you.
The president of the studio said Miyamori in reply, "I don't like to hear you saying you would like to do anything you can. Which hints you don't have a particular desire here." That was very important point.
htsujiDec 28, 2014 5:25 AM
Dec 25, 2014 8:24 AM

Oct 2012
Htsuji said:
I had job interviews more than 10 times in Japan... Both the interviewers
and I sat at the same table.

Possibly that was because you were not wearing a short business skirt during the
interview!

Apart from Episode 11 of SHIROBAKO, there have been a number of job interview
scenes in anime where the candidate sat on a chair facing the hiring committee.
The distance was always optimized so that they would get a good upskirt view of
the applicant.

See Episode 26 of "Space Brothers" ( 2012 / 宇宙兄弟 / Uchū Kyōdai )
Episode title: "Painful Interview" / "Itami o Tomonau Mensetsu" / 痛みを伴う面接

See Episode 21 of "Death Note" where Misa Misa was interviewed by Yotsuba Corp.
Episode title: "Performance" / "Katsuyaku" / 活躍

Finally, see Episode 6 of "Amagi Brilliant Park".
Episode title: "Not Enough People!" / "Hitode ga Tarinai!" / 人手が足りない!

Htsuji also said:
They showed some facilities of the factory.

In factories, it is very often the case that there are elevated walkways where
the "floor" is simply an open metal grating. There would probably be a way to
find some pretext for a female job applicant to be walking on the grating at the
same time as the hiring committee was standing below looking up.
okanaganDec 25, 2014 8:31 AM
Dec 27, 2014 6:16 PM
Mar 2012
All the references folks already mentioned.
Match girl sequence was great.
+ Astroboy on a lamp
Shin-Ei Animation formerly A Production, so "Bee" Production.
Handdrawn gundam drawing a beargguy on paper so meta.
Not sure how the Oz reference relates...
Dec 28, 2014 4:25 PM
Mar 2013
gophercg said:
Not sure how the Oz reference relates...

I didn't get why Oz, either. But Ozu is a name of old Japanese film directer here.
I posted a short comment on the next thread.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1330655&show=60#msg37080641

To be honest, I'm sure most of Japanese viewer of Shirobako even didn't know what that "Ozu" standed for.
Dec 28, 2014 6:33 PM

Oct 2012
@htsuji: After you pointed it out, it is very clear that it really is a reference to Ozu.
It is not subtle at all. I now have several links saved for his old movies and plan to
watch them at some point.

I don't know whether or not there is any relationship to this trope:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DaddysGirl

In a 2013 article in The Telegraph, they mention, regarding overprotective dads,
"It's a common trope: the man who'd rather lock his daughter in a tower until
she's 40 than have to watch some hormone-ravaged 17-year-old paw at her.
It reflects an insidious and damaging need to control young women's behaviour,
long after we abandoned the idea that a daughter is her father's property."

- - - - - - -

Okay, now I think I am getting a better understanding of this "Ozu" reference.
Yes, they are talking about the movie director Yasujirō Ozu. But much more
specifically, it might be the case that they are alluding to the 1949 movie
"Late Spring", which is considered to be the 15th best movie of all time. It
is based on the novel "Father and Daughter" by Kazuo Hirotsu. Basically, a
27-year-old daughter has lived with her father since she lost her mother at a
young age. But it is about time that she should be getting married. So then
it all hits the fan. For all of the details, see this excellent English-language
Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Spring

Since I am certain that this movie is now in the public domain, it should be
legitimate to provide the link. Here it is with English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQMQnHyUwJM

I am guessing that this is a restored version of the film, since the quality of
the sound and the picture make it look like it was released last week.
okanaganDec 28, 2014 9:06 PM
Dec 29, 2014 9:10 AM

Jun 2012
Them references xD

I knew who would get the job straight away, was so obvious xD

Aoi taking more responsibilities and some drama.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jan 5, 2015 1:56 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Too many references to count!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 23, 2015 9:38 PM

Jul 2014
This show used to be a charming self-reflecting one where P.A. Works were making fun of themselves and others.

With this episode they turned all piss-rotten with corporate apologism and excuses, showing that all they really want to do is raise sympathy for themselves. The whole "don't hire iffy people like that" speech was such a cringeworthy display of corporate spinelessness that it killed all my desire to watch any further.

Even with the risk of bad results, they could have hired two or three unproven people as trainees for that episode, and choose the best one. But not even when they're in a pinch for their precious keyframes do they even consider finding actual talent outside of the sea of talentless people who just happen to have degrees.

They can go fester in their self-pity where they belong. Dropped.
Mar 2, 2015 2:08 PM

Oct 2012
I can't count the number of references in this episode with both hands!

Anno, IG, Sunrise, Little Match Girl etc.etc..

Not to mention all the drama and interviews in there. Great episode.
Mar 26, 2015 3:39 AM

Oct 2012
Aww, the interview
The most harsh thing
I mean who did invent this thing?

It's the match girl!!
Dat censor xD

Tarou! Keep her safe!!

I just remember some things from the iDOLM@STER
I mean both of them are small company and struggling with so many problems
"Signature removed"
Apr 7, 2015 7:16 AM
May 2012
Miyamori is so cute and adorable to me <3
They should hire that first dude and that girl with yellow hair strands.
Awww, Yano :/ Them references.
Apr 10, 2015 7:19 AM

Nov 2011
Bell'episodio, references to characters and famous names is evident, as well as for the names of animation studios. However behind this endless parade of names, plot and narrative affix their seal showing what most interested me; or what is in the past Miyamori and obviously what happens behind an animated series. I am surprised that there is a kind of market Key Frame, good to know. Taro is becoming sympathetic to my eyes.
Apr 13, 2015 12:36 AM

Jan 2009
the capable blonde loli staff is in a sad state right now so no help for Miyamori, and lol of the word twist for Evangelion though fucking Neon Locomotive Evangardon lol
Apr 28, 2015 5:33 PM

May 2012
Lovely development! Looking forward to see what's next!
May 11, 2015 11:34 AM

Sep 2014
Loved this episode.
So many references!
Jul 21, 2015 8:11 PM

Mar 2012
Interviews are bad mkay?
Jul 22, 2015 3:19 AM

Aug 2009
MoeGod said:
Don't know why you guys complained about this being 24 episodes, we're now at 11 and barely finished the Exodus arc. If it ends now then the story would be incomplete since we still have to deal with Miyamori and her club mates making their own anime. I don't think this could be achieved within 1 cour even if they cut down the whole Exodus production arc.

Lots of awesome references as usual and we got a new cute character. That NGE director though.. I wonder how all these people being parodied felt XD

totally forgot this is supposed to be about making their own anime...

well I guess wrapping up Exodus is fun to watch

I hope the female applicants get accepted; they all look decent :)

hope aoi gets some success in getting animators even if trolled by the boss
Aug 28, 2015 7:32 PM

Jul 2014
lololol when Aoi was spazzing out and banged her head on the car horn
this is so fun to watch
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2015 4:12 PM

Jun 2009
so many references in this episode...sunrise, bones, production ig, NGE, hideko anno...

the interviews were great, all those people exist. i especially loved the person who only knew about ghibli anime and was only applying because it was closer to her house.

Red_Tuesday said:
This show used to be a charming self-reflecting one where P.A. Works were making fun of themselves and others.

With this episode they turned all piss-rotten with corporate apologism and excuses, showing that all they really want to do is raise sympathy for themselves. The whole "don't hire iffy people like that" speech was such a cringeworthy display of corporate spinelessness that it killed all my desire to watch any further.

Even with the risk of bad results, they could have hired two or three unproven people as trainees for that episode, and choose the best one. But not even when they're in a pinch for their precious keyframes do they even consider finding actual talent outside of the sea of talentless people who just happen to have degrees.

They can go fester in their self-pity where they belong. Dropped.

hahahahaha, this fucking guy. did this episode strike too close to home for you?
loghneckbeardSep 2, 2015 4:16 PM
Sep 24, 2015 1:25 PM

Jan 2011
Her head hitting the horn was brilliant, and the same can be said about what I hope is a soon-to-be staff member. The hyped one, that sucks at driving.

Looking forward to more of this.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 15, 2016 9:09 PM

Feb 2012
She is going to see Anno... lol
That would be interesting. Great episode.
Jun 7, 2016 11:13 PM

Mar 2015
Interview part was funny XD

Whoever failed Aoi interview just go to prison, ) _ (

I think Tarou and Yano would be a matching couple.

3.4/5
Jun 20, 2016 10:32 AM

Sep 2015
I know they're doing what they have to do but damn if all that blurred out copyright stuff wasn't distracting. Like if it just hadn't been blurred out that fantasy sequence would have been perfect. Oh well better that than getting their pants sued off and closing down I suppose.

I really liked the flashback of Miyamori applying to "Bones." The president's chastisement that saying "you'll do anything" reveals there's nothing you want to do was the good life advice of the week to mull over. And Miyamori freaking out in the interview was so cute even though I felt bad for her after. I also liked the brief flashback with her sister, especially since once again she teased her with her own dolls.

One of the things that didn't work for me as well this episode was Yano's story. I don't particularly dislike Yano, she's always cute when she's laying down the law with Miyamori. In fact I really hope this isn't her cue to leave the series along with Honda. But I just think we haven't seen enough of her and the drama with her Dad hasn't been set up enough for that to be as effective as it could be. It's nice to know that Shirobako isn't perfect though.
Jul 18, 2016 10:58 PM

Aug 2012
-Was the guy with the leg cast the guy on the bike
-Looks like red tape is a plague to the production business
-Something tells me the missed calls were about the Third Aerial Girls Squad
-Aoi's first interview was a group one, huh?
-Aoi's flashback to the interview at Born was actually a pretty good scene
-Some great comedic timing on that car horn honk
-They're... leaving Takanashi in charge of practical training for the new hires?
-Erika throwing shade at Tarou in the post-interview break room scene
-Production IG, Sunrise, and it actually never occurred to me that The Born was a reference to something, but I can't name it off of the top of my head
-All of those lawyer-friendly cameos
-Alright the NGE reference is pretty much unmissable

All the stuff about interviews actually applies to more than just the anime industry so that was actually pretty nice
Sep 15, 2016 9:18 PM

Sep 2013
I want to see the completed Exodus anime...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 31, 2016 3:53 PM

Feb 2012
So explicit Pixel Doraemon, Pixel Shin-Chan, Pixel One Year War and totally not Anno and his Evangelion

Soei's Oedo supposed to be Madhouse's Cyber City Oedo 808?

The Born=Bones
Sunup=Sunrise
Big Japan Advertising=Big West Advertising
Gibli=Ghibli

Who's Nabe P supposed to be?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Feb 8, 2017 4:23 AM

Jun 2016
Neon Generation Avangaldon hhh XD
OMG hhh
EG99
Mar 31, 2017 3:23 PM

Jan 2015
Okay, yhis anime has really grown on me by now. I've been having a blast for the past few episodes.
That NGE troll was gold.
Apr 12, 2017 6:28 PM

May 2010
Of course there had to be a NGE reference :D Can't wait to see Shirobako version of Anno! Judging by reactions of people, who told Aoi were to find him, it probably won't go that smoothly :>
Apr 26, 2017 4:36 AM

Jul 2012
The new girl is too cute to not be hired :3

And I sure hope Yano's father will be okay.

Oh yeah, I know his mood was out of place, but this scene was really well-animated
AndoApr 26, 2017 5:47 AM
May 16, 2017 2:15 AM

Nov 2011
They shouldve fired Taro by now.
Dont even want to bother to spell his name correctly cause he is garbage.
Hate Keeps me warm
Jun 1, 2017 6:23 AM

Dec 2014
5/5 i hope yano is ok.

geez miyamori's job is so stressful, go fight miyamori~

Aug 19, 2017 11:59 AM

Jun 2013
The only bright side to Tarou being the one to drive Yano upstate is that maybe his idiocy will take her mind off of things.

Miyamori is a bloodhound. Once she gets the scent of an animator, she doesn't let go.
Jan 13, 2018 7:51 AM

Apr 2015
I feel like they're giving Aoi too much work at times...while she's running around trying to find somebody for key frames on the last episode, they make her do interviews too? I guess that's just the industry, but she deserves a break.

"The only anime I've actually seen are some Gibli films." Wow, I didn't even know that was possible in Japan.

The Little Match Girl sequence with all the blurred companies and their productions...I definitely recognized Doraemon and Gundam, but some of them were too pixelated to make out.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 21, 2019 6:08 AM

Feb 2018
Woahh nice blur xD.
May 10, 2019 7:08 PM
Jan 2019
"We even hired Tarou, you know."

"No matter who we hire, they're bound to be better than Tarou."

I love this anime xD
Oct 18, 2019 8:09 AM

Apr 2013
Studio sunup lol, who could that possibly be, hm? Seems like we're getting a bit of drama with Yano-san, though maybe it's just a plotpoint to make Miyamori save episode 13 by herself.
Nov 27, 2020 4:52 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Oh man now I really wanna watch some neon generation avangaldon

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 18, 2021 3:43 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty good episode again, feel for Aoi as she has to search across the anime industry-sphere for spare key animators for their final episode cuts since they don't have enough staff to handle everything. Even got tricked into trying a high-profile animator and director like Kanno (parody of Anno) to desperately go for him for assistance out of pure desperation. It was nice to see some of her past when she was applying for jobs and was struggling initially due to the lack of a clear goal that she had in mind for what she exactly wanted to accomplish in the anime industry.
Jan 24, 2021 5:38 AM

Feb 2019
All these references are hilarious, especially how they're all so blatantly blurred out! But the best has got to be "Neon Generation Avangaldon" lol

I wonder what Sugie exactly does in the studio. Why aren't they using him?

Also, how did Tarou get the job in the first place? I'm still wondering about that.
Apr 6, 2021 3:51 AM

May 2015
Another episode another Taouru
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.