Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 6, 2014 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Birth and rebirth, I just love the themes of this show. The awesomeness of nature (with the lightning) is very well animated imo. Need headphones on to experience the thrills.

Really loved the transition between certain the emotional scenes though this episode. I thought it was neat. The motherly love is quite something in the second half.
Stark700Dec 6, 2014 4:51 PM
Dec 6, 2014 10:56 AM

Jun 2013
Second consecutive depressing episode... I can't personally relate to the mother so I hated her guts for being so selfish and stubborn, but I can sorta understand that you can't force yourself to love something or someone.

I choked up to see the son actually trying to do good and not show a single hint of resentment towards her mother even after what she's done. I'm sure his goodness will eventually reach the mother.
Dec 6, 2014 11:04 AM

Jul 2010
A mushi that calls the lightning.

It really was something to see Reki tied to a tree then the lightning struck. When the second time it happened, Reki with those eyes looking down on his mother. That was really impacting.

Shino being forced to marry someone else. Not wanting her baby as she sees that she can't love it. She does at least realize it really well. Unable to say the right thing to the point of crying and just wanting to die. Reki pushing his mother away so the lightning won't strike them both.

The mushi leaving and Reki is living with some relatives. This was impacting above anything else. For some reason I wasn't too sad as it just had to go this way.
Dec 6, 2014 11:27 AM

Sep 2012
I hate how selfish the mother was, but in the end, people like that exist in the world.
Oh god who are you people?
Dec 6, 2014 11:39 AM

Jan 2013
This epsiode was so sad...poor Reki. I really felt sorry for him.
But it was really wonderful how his mother hugged him and told Reki that she would die with him and wished to be reborn as a loving mother.

Dec 6, 2014 11:40 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Yet another Mushishi episode concentrating on the relationship between mother and son. However, "At the Foot of Lightning" presents a rather poignant story; contrary to the typical.

Mushi Trivia

Felt bad for Reki as he had quite the harsh childhood, due to his mom's disliking and negligence towards him. Little guy was basically forced to mature at an early age.

Even after hearing Shino's side of the story, I couldn't really reason with her mindset. Sure, she wanted to get married to another guy but Reki was her own child after all. Saying that she thinks she can't love him was a bit heartbreaking to hear.

Though, I loved how she asked Reki to come back to her and embraced him when he refused to, even to the point where she decided to die together. What an enigmatic feeling/scene that was!

Great episode once again. The ending could've been a bit happier with mom and son living together, but I'm just glad that Shouraishi has finally left Reki's body. Hopefully, he'll be having a good life with his relatives.

Dec 6, 2014 2:20 PM

Aug 2012
Gees man, that ending was heavier than if he'd actually died. Very real though.
Dec 6, 2014 2:48 PM

Oct 2012
A mushi who attracts lightning, a really dangerous one.
Poor Reki, he was struck by lightning like five times, even though he didn't die that should have been painful. And both father and mother didn't do anything for him, just stand there and watch.
Reki's mother was really selfish but she was forced to marry and have that child, it's difficult for her to love him. At the end maybe she showed a bit of affection (forced by Ginko though) when she tried to die with him but she saved both of their lives running away.
And the end, at least for Reki was the best he could have, the Shouraishi left and he moved with a relative, maybe that relative will love him more than her mother never did.
Another sad yet great episode 9.5/10.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Dec 6, 2014 3:03 PM

Jun 2014
Thanks god he didn't die
Dec 6, 2014 3:33 PM

Oct 2013
Magnificent episode and a sad one!!! Wish more people would watch this...
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Dec 6, 2014 3:40 PM

Aug 2013
soundscape said:
Magnificent episode and a sad one!!! Wish more people would watch this...

Actually this was the first Mushishi epidose of this seson which I don't like.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 6, 2014 3:55 PM
Nov 2013
Great episode, but it made me super sad. Reki's mother was very unlikeable. I get she did not want to be arranged into that marriage but she really did treat him like shit. Very selfish woman, but I'm glad the Mushi left Reki's body.
Dec 6, 2014 4:18 PM

Jan 2013
I had goosebumps when the son got hit by the lightning while looking at his mother. Really intense scene. Man I love this show...
Dec 6, 2014 5:22 PM

Aug 2008
This episode was so "cold". It was still beautiful, but it didn't impact me as much as most of Mushishi's episodes do.
Dec 6, 2014 5:37 PM
Jan 2014
Another amazing episode of Mushishi. Yet again it manages to uphold its balance. I love how this is an episodic series, but each episode contains a hint of previous ones, making some form of a connection, though not an obvious one.

With the lack of over-arcing character developement, Mushishi manages to make up for that with a huge variety of personalities.

I actually found this episode to be very necessary. Not every child was born and loved by the same mother. Shino and Reki fulfilled their roles very well. I really can't hate Shino for what she is, because by the looks of it, she managed to do what she could.

I hope Reki's relatives make out to be the family he always wanted. Ginko also looked like he was more active than usual in this episode, with the way he tried to push out some feelings out of Shino.
Dec 6, 2014 6:04 PM
Feb 2009
Ok what was that last scene about? Was that his umbilical cord that Reki was holding? Did he take it so that his mother couldn't find it? Did he not want to get rid of the mushi?
Dec 6, 2014 6:06 PM

Aug 2009
Pretty hit or miss episode for me.
Dec 6, 2014 6:24 PM

Dec 2014
darkreaver94 said:

However, when his mother started hugging him, hoping to die along with him and be reborn as a good mother. It somehow changed his mindset. He believed that his mother loves him all along. By pushing his mother away, he protected someone who he shown affection to as well as the same person who he believed to have shown affection to him. The mushi leaving from his body, it could have means that there is no longer a need to seek affection from the lightning. There is already someone who loves him all along.

You were paying absolutely 'no' attention at all.
Dec 6, 2014 6:59 PM

Jun 2014
Another amazing episode of Mushishi!

This is the first episode that made me very angry though!

That mother was just despicable. She tried to kill her child once when he was in the womb, and then again when she tied him to the tree! She disagreed with her parents decision on an arranged marriage and she takes it out on the child by not showing him any love and by trying to kill him!

I was really hoping that the bitch was going to get struck down dead and that the son would survive. Luckily for him they realized that the mother was never going to be able to love him and sent him to live with family who would hopefully treat him better.
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Dec 6, 2014 7:04 PM

Aug 2012
TheNaturalPerm said:
I had goosebumps when the son got hit by the lightning while looking at his mother. Really intense scene. Man I love this show...
Yeah that was insane, it got across how much sees and understands the way his mother felt about him. It was like he was saying "here, this should make you happier right"

edit: 2199th post
AlexTheRiotDec 7, 2014 12:53 PM
Dec 6, 2014 7:06 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow that felt like the darkest episode in awhile. At first I didn't like Shino either. I mean yeah she wanted to marry another man, but then ended up having a child with someone she doesn't love. It doesn't mean that just because she has suffered that she must make others suffer with her. Then I thought maybe she became so apathetic because she felt like she was ignored by her mother, and if she wasn't loved by her own mother, then she couldn't learn to love anyone else either after being rejected herself. Sure not everyone would react this way, but I believe it can happen; after all, there are even abusive parents out there who don't love their child. I think Shino did try, but she just couldn't. That's why she thought the solution would be just for both of them to die. When she said that she hoped to be reborn as a mother who can love her child, that was truly what she wanted. What a tragic and tear-inducing story.

This episode wasn't even about the mushi, but about the relationship between a mother and her child. Family stories always hit hard for me, and it's heartbreaking to see that not all families could end up happy. The ending was a realistic one, separating the mother and the child. It was clear that Shino could never love Reki, and the only way for them to be able to move forward at all was to not be with each other (well at least for Reki. Seems like Shino will be apathetic for the rest of her life...she must have some sort of mental disorder like depression).

But yeah, I can't imagine being like Reki, that a kid could be pushed to have that sort of mentally where he believes that he shouldn't be alive and thus seeks death.
tingyDec 6, 2014 7:10 PM
Dec 6, 2014 7:13 PM

Aug 2013
Frost_Fox_Sinon said:
darkreaver94 said:

However, when his mother started hugging him, hoping to die along with him and be reborn as a good mother. It somehow changed his mindset. He believed that his mother loves him all along. By pushing his mother away, he protected someone who he shown affection to as well as the same person who he believed to have shown affection to him. The mushi leaving from his body, it could have means that there is no longer a need to seek affection from the lightning. There is already someone who loves him all along.

Ikr she didn't Loved him and at The end he Even went to relatives
Dec 6, 2014 7:46 PM

Mar 2014
Best episode so far in this season. The only one to truly hit my emotions.
Dec 6, 2014 8:41 PM

Oct 2014
Holy bacon... that was.... dark. O_O

I can't really tell much about this episode, except that it has a strong atmosphere of misery and sadness. Not any misery, but a misery from being unable to love someone you wanted/supposed to love, which IMO is the worst miserable feeling you could ever feel. The loneliness can be felt too thorough this episode, thus using the lightning as a "plot point" of this episode.

I see some people are questioning the ending. You can actually interpret the ending in a lot of ways, but I'll just interpret it in a "good" way and a "bad" way. Here they are:

Good interpretation: We see Reki is holding his umbilical chord. This probably given to him by his mother. I think, this probably means that his mother is gradually and slowly trying to love him. Notice how she easily gave up searching his umbilical chord before. But at the end, she managed to find it. We see Reki seeing the sky, probably thinking not to depend on lightning anymore.

Bad interpretation: That umbilical chord probably is already hidden by Reki. Moving to his relatives, Reki brought along his umbilical chord, means there are still some senses of discomfort and loneliness in him. We see Reki seeing the sky, probably about to seek "protection" in thunder. Another interpretation is that probably that umbilical chord did given by his mother, but means that she "gives up" loving him.

Just choose which interpretation you want ;)

Overall, a very sad but nice episode. And that last minutes (actually, the whole episode)....

5/5, like usual. Time to go to Alaska to fight with bears again to regain my manliness...

AND DAT OST. F*ck, it just so beautiful!! I want it!
New_-Dec 6, 2014 8:50 PM
HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 6, 2014 8:42 PM

Dec 2014
darkreaver94 said:
Frost_Fox_Sinon said:

I'm looking at it based on his perspective. He believed that the mother loved him even though it wasn't the case. The mother couldn't love him at all.

He never for a second thought that she loved him, that literally could not have been made more clear.
Dec 6, 2014 8:46 PM
Apr 2014
@RRokuro
I agree, this is definitely one of the best episodes yet for me!
Dec 6, 2014 11:14 PM

Apr 2013
Wow. That was definitely a beautiful and emotionally powerful episode but that mother is just... Such a bitch. You still can't love your own child after all that? She just gave him his umbilical cord and said "deuces". If I was him, I'd just straight up tell her:

Dec 7, 2014 12:05 AM

Oct 2007
I love these sad tales and depictions of moral choices. So good ; ;
Dec 7, 2014 1:52 AM

Oct 2013
Favourite episode of Mushishi, hot damn.
Dec 7, 2014 1:54 AM
Jul 2012
I can see how people hate the mother, but I don't. I think the exposition about her wanting to marry someone else actually hindered the episode. It made her seem selfish, but I don't think that's the point of the episode at all. Shino isn't selfish so much as completely aware of the fact that she probably couldn't love the child at all. She's emotionally broken in a way, and that may or may not be due to the way that she was raised.

You saw how she cut her hair after she felt that her mother abandoned her to the arranged marriage. While a lot of anime can make fun of the 'rejection/break up haircut' I felt that its use here was rather poignant. Shino is a broken person with broken emotions. When she realized that she couldn't love her unborn she tried a home abortion. (YMMV based on your own politics here.)

What you need to understand is that the concept of being unable to feel emotions is real. There are people who are unable to feel certain emotions for whatever reason. Some people are born that way, others may have suffered trauma or abuse. There is realism here, and an attempt at showing us that the human experience has much variation.

I'm not trying to say that she's some kind of heroine. But Shino suffers. She suffers from a loveless marriage and emotional distress that has left her in what appears to be a dissociative state. She suffers guilt for not being able to love her child the way she feels that she should. Do you honestly think that she could just love him if she "tried hard enough?" That's not how emotions work. She cries during the storm and offers to die with Reki because she doesn't know how to be any other way. Yet she knows that she's missing a fundamental part of her humanity and that she's a failure as a mother.

She knows these things, and she feels helpless because there's nothing she can do about it. Saying she could just love him if she tried is equivalent to telling a person suffering from depression that they should just cheer up and get over it already. I mean, don't you think she wants to? That's the meaning behind her attempt at sacrificing her life to die with her son. She knows she's broken and that her brokenness has negatively impacted her son, but she has no way to fix it. So she offers to die by his side, praying that she will be reborn as a better mother who is capable of loving her son.

This episode was terribly tragic. It was hard to watch after the previous one as well. But this one had a genuinely happier ending. Separation was the only thing that was going to work in this situation. The reality is that Shino should have never had children in the first place; that's probably why they don't have any others. And what you need to understand is that there really are people out there like that. And I felt that this episode was a touching attempt at showing us the breadth of human experiences.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Dec 7, 2014 2:20 AM

Sep 2010
I am literally irritated right now. I don't care about the emotional and impressive stuff people talk about here, and which I think is not at all. How on earth would it be possible for a mother not to love her own child?! Were you that obsessive about marrying the other guy; so you end up with your current husband's child and not loving him? Or other excuses you have? That's the most pathetic thing I have ever experienced. Bitch.
Dec 7, 2014 2:27 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the atmosphere of this episode A LOT. I just love stormy weather.
And I also liked that mother-child releationship did not improve in the end.
After all those years that she hated him,it would be kind of ridiculous to switch views suddenly and it was nice break from the happy ending mold.
Dec 7, 2014 2:32 AM
Jan 2014
darkreaver94 said:
Frost_Fox_Sinon said:

I'm looking at it based on his perspective. He believed that the mother loved him even though it wasn't the case. The mother couldn't love him at all.

No you haven't paid attention at all.
Reki finds it creepy when his mother tries to hug him and he knows, she doesn't love him, he even says so earlier in the episode to Ginko, did you even pay attention? because clearly you didn't or else you wouldn't be saying this.

She even outright states she doesn't care if Reki dies, do you think Reki wants to die with someone, who clearly doesn't love him. No he wouldn't. No he doesn't care for his mother, so why should he bring happiness to someone, who clearly didn't do anything good for him?

Next time think before you post something so illogical.

Dec 7, 2014 2:37 AM

Mar 2014
veluriel said:
I can see how people hate the mother, but I don't. I think the exposition about her wanting to marry someone else actually hindered the episode. It made her seem selfish, but I don't think that's the point of the episode at all. Shino isn't selfish so much as completely aware of the fact that she probably couldn't love the child at all. She's emotionally broken in a way, and that may or may not be due to the way that she was raised.

You saw how she cut her hair after she felt that her mother abandoned her to the arranged marriage. While a lot of anime can make fun of the 'rejection/break up haircut' I felt that its use here was rather poignant. Shino is a broken person with broken emotions. When she realized that she couldn't love her unborn she tried a home abortion. (YMMV based on your own politics here.)

What you need to understand is that the concept of being unable to feel emotions is real. There are people who are unable to feel certain emotions for whatever reason. Some people are born that way, others may have suffered trauma or abuse. There is realism here, and an attempt at showing us that the human experience has much variation.

I'm not trying to say that she's some kind of heroine. But Shino suffers. She suffers from a loveless marriage and emotional distress that has left her in what appears to be a dissociative state. She suffers guilt for not being able to love her child the way she feels that she should. Do you honestly think that she could just love him if she "tried hard enough?" That's not how emotions work. She cries during the storm and offers to die with Reki because she doesn't know how to be any other way. Yet she knows that she's missing a fundamental part of her humanity and that she's a failure as a mother.

She knows these things, and she feels helpless because there's nothing she can do about it. Saying she could just love him if she tried is equivalent to telling a person suffering from depression that they should just cheer up and get over it already. I mean, don't you think she wants to? That's the meaning behind her attempt at sacrificing her life to die with her son. She knows she's broken and that her brokenness has negatively impacted her son, but she has no way to fix it. So she offers to die by his side, praying that she will be reborn as a better mother who is capable of loving her son.

This episode was terribly tragic. It was hard to watch after the previous one as well. But this one had a genuinely happier ending. Separation was the only thing that was going to work in this situation. The reality is that Shino should have never had children in the first place; that's probably why they don't have any others. And what you need to understand is that there really are people out there like that. And I felt that this episode was a touching attempt at showing us the breadth of human experiences.

Excellent post. People are much too quick to resort to emotions and thus react so negatively towards Shino without putting thought in to her situation. You did a great job explaining things, but unfortunately your words may fall on deaf ears.
Dec 7, 2014 3:05 AM

Oct 2013
sevki said:
I am literally irritated right now. I don't care about the emotional and impressive stuff people talk about here, and which I think is not at all. How on earth would it be possible for a mother not to love her own child?! Were you that obsessive about marrying the other guy; so you end up with your current husband's child and not loving him? Or other excuses you have? That's the most pathetic thing I have ever experienced. Bitch.

It's like you're under the impression that literally (you did not need to use literally in that situation, dude. I don't know how you can be metaphorically irritated) every mother out in the world loves their child.
Dec 7, 2014 3:33 AM

Sep 2010
Kondo-Isao said:

It's like you're under the impression that literally (you did not need to use literally in that situation, dude. I don't know how you can be metaphorically irritated) every mother out in the world loves their child.

Kondo-Isao, I am not 100% under that impression; at least not for our world. I explained above.
TyrelDec 8, 2014 4:59 PM
Dec 7, 2014 3:58 AM
Jan 2014
sevki said:
Shock_Yin said:

This post is pathetic.

So it doesn't happen because you personally haven't heard about it? It must be nice living cut off from the rest of the world, because that's what your post tells me that you're uninformed about what happens in the real world, because mothers not loving their children happens. I can also see you're narrow minded and raised to think women just should make her man happy no matter under what circumstances she was married to the man.

You know your comment is only stereotyping the reasoning that all muslim men have no respect for women and their emotions. Which is true for some men, but not all.

Dude, you can criticize and not like my opinions, comments etc., you are always welcome; but this is a little bit of insult. You cannot call me or my stuff 'pathetic'; that's first.

Personelly not heard? Yeah I did. Unfortunately. But I am NOT comparing Mushishi universe and our own. In that world, people are more naive. Again, I don't care about what the situation is. I am NOT saying a mother MUST love her child. But this is a fiction; and looking at that woman's character development and past, her attitude is the pathetic and miserable thing here.

Also, you cannot see any narrow mindedness for marriage in my sentence; I did NOT say she should make her man happy. I just said she should have loved her child, at least care for him/her; no matter who the husband is. You are just imposing the thoughts you already have on me. Muslim men have no respect for women? And thinking of me as them? Yeap, another thought imposing upon me. Congrats! Out of the topic, I hate muslim world and those pathetic cultural charateristics of their men. FYI.

Another person also said something about my comment; but s/he is just pointing his/her own ideas. Nothing near to insulting. And I respect that. But I do not respect your response since it includes no respect for me. You speak as if you have walked in my shoes. You don't even know me.

I won't bother replying if you say anything more with that negative and biased attitude of yours. But if it is something like below, you are more than welcome. People should talk about differing ideas; not pinpoint guns at them

Discrediting everyone with "I don't care about the emotional and impressive stuff people talk about here, and which I think is not at all." Because you dont personally care for it, isn't that a bit direspectful and a bit narrow minded on your part?

Yes I went overboard with my accusations and tried to discribe a person through one comment, yes you're right I shouldn't have done that, especially when I haven't had contact to that person before now. You're totally right in your complaints and I shouldn't have been so condescending and out-topic as you actually described it. I interpreted something that wasn't even in your text to begin with.

Still yes the people would seem naive, but remember the time they live in is much more simple, if you lived at a time where most people were fishermen or farmers, you would be the same way as them.
Shock_YinDec 7, 2014 4:14 AM

Dec 7, 2014 4:10 AM

Sep 2010
Shock_Yin said:

Discrediting everyone with "I don't care about the emotional and impressive stuff people talk about here, and which I think is not at all." Because you dont personally care for it, isn't that a bit direspectful and a bit narrow minded on your part?

Yes I went overboard with my accusations and tried to discribe a person through one comment, yes you're right I shouldn't have done that, especially when I haven't had contact to that person before now. You're totally right in your complaints and I shouldn't have been so condescending and out-topic as you actually described it. I interpreted something that wasn't even in your text.

Mushi-Shi takes place in the past as you can see from most people being farmers or fishemen, there are doctors too, but calling the people naive just because they are from a simpler time, isn't really an explanation for why a mother can't love her child or did you miss the episode 2 of Mushi-Shi where a girl gets left behind by her own family. So yes a mother not loving her child has happened in the series before.

Seriously a lot of the charm of Mushi-Shi comes from it's potrayal of emotions.

Firstly, thanks for your understanding and reasoning. I'm glad this is a discussion instead of an argument. :)

In my first comment I have not explained my thoughts in detail I see now, so it is not unnatural for you to think of me generalizing everyone.

But anyway, I can name like 10-15 reasons for my feelings of that episode. But that does not matter that much. I still think a mother should feel something for her child no matter what the conditions of having him/her; or no matter who she is married to. This sentence by itself sounds so simple, but I really think that within those earliler ages, the bonds were stronger. Even though it is not enough and does not make every mother love her child unconditionally; for that spesific episode I still feel anger towards that woman. That emotionless face of hers oh god! I cannot emphatize at all! She seems like she does not even try! That hugging part was so forced.

Yes, this incident happened before. But I at least felt sorry for that mother/woman. For this episode, all I feel is the things I already mentioned.
Dec 7, 2014 4:34 AM
Jan 2014
sevki said:
Shock_Yin said:

Yes I went overboard with my accusations and tried to discribe a person through one comment, yes you're right I shouldn't have done that, especially when I haven't had contact to that person before now. You're totally right in your complaints and I shouldn't have been so condescending and out-topic as you actually described it. I interpreted something that wasn't even in your text.

Mushi-Shi takes place in the past as you can see from most people being farmers or fishemen, there are doctors too, but calling the people naive just because they are from a simpler time, isn't really an explanation for why a mother can't love her child or did you miss the episode 2 of Mushi-Shi where a girl gets left behind by her own family. So yes a mother not loving her child has happened in the series before.

Seriously a lot of the charm of Mushi-Shi comes from it's potrayal of emotions.

Firstly, thanks for your understanding and reasoning. I'm glad this is a discussion instead of an argument. :)

In my first comment I have not explained my thoughts in detail I see now, so it is not unnatural for you to think of me generalizing everyone.

But anyway, I can name like 10-15 reasons for my feelings of that episode. But that does not matter that much. I still think a mother should feel something for her child no matter what the conditions of having him/her; or no matter who she is married to. This sentence by itself sounds so simple, but I really think that within those earliler ages, the bonds were stronger. Even though it is not enough and does not make every mother love her child unconditionally; for that spesific episode I still feel anger towards that woman. That emotionless face of hers oh god! I cannot emphatize at all! She seems like she does not even try! That hugging part was so forced.

Yes, this incident happened before. But I at least felt sorry for that mother/woman. For this episode, all I feel is the things I already mentioned.

There are just mother's who doesn't feel a thing for their children at all, yeah the world and Ginko's world is filled with different people some have similar problems.

If Reki's mother had depression that would explain why she's as she is. She even tried to kill herself, also she felt that her mother abandoned her.
She has an emotionless face, because she wants to die and depression, she did try to do suicide. She also felt abandoned by her own mother.

On the bright side Reki got send to loving relatives, sadly he's damaged mentally, because his mother didn't treat him properly, but yes women like Reki's mother exists. You know there are woman out there who hates their children because of the father. E.g. divorce.

But yes I do understand that you don't like her though, it's pretty hard, because you feel sorry for Reki.

Dec 7, 2014 4:44 AM

Dec 2013
The ending was great and that mushi was beautiful.

Also this shot:
Dec 7, 2014 6:12 AM

Sep 2014
Aw man, another episode with a sad ending, albeit it was as sad as last week's. Overall, excellent episode of Mushishi once again.
Dec 7, 2014 7:25 AM

Jan 2012
That was quite cruel of her... not loving him is one thing but to tie him to a tree when there is thunder outside...
Dec 7, 2014 7:27 AM

Jan 2012
I found the reasoning of his mother never gaining the capability to love him PERFECTLY symbolic, as this show always is. To represent the phase of his life where he believed or seeked her affection, the show used the mushi to represent that affection in the form of lightning. His belief in his mother's affection was given fuel by the fact that the lightning could give him affection as well.

Then, when he could no longer attract the lightning by the mushi leaving his body, he was also able to realize that, just like true lightning, he can't always gain the attention of something he seeks.

As Ginko said, sometimes it just has to be this way, just how you can't control where lightning will strike (in their day and age.)

Basically the uncontrollable nature of lightning is symbolic of not being able to control whom one does or does not love.

Also, to that brewing argument above, I saw one sentence that made me wonder something i thought was true. I figured that the child was born from the mother and the husband she "didn't" want to marry. Only because the kid said that both his mom or dad never looked at him in the eye. Therefore I think the dad is equally discomforted in the fact that this child isn't his own.

But someone in that argument (to lazy to search and quote) said that it was the child of the new husband. Which is it?
ASimpleLotusDec 7, 2014 7:46 AM
Dec 7, 2014 7:35 AM

Jan 2012
leslie7622 said:
Ok what was that last scene about? Was that his umbilical cord that Reki was holding? Did he take it so that his mother couldn't find it? Did he not want to get rid of the mushi?

The way I see it, he obviously took it when Ginko asked for it.

At that time, he knew that finding the umbilical cord would mean losing his ability to attract the lightning.

According to Ginko (who I assume is right) the child sees this as losing the ability to protect his family/village from the lightning.

So I think showing him holding it at the end meant that, even upon knowing he could die, he wanted to keep the ability anyways.

So I think it shows his resolution in being a martyr/protector.

Symbolically this could have many more implications. I think showing him hold it at the end also physically represents the severed mental connection between his mother and him, so showing it disconnected after explaining that he moved could be a visual metaphor for him coming to terms with no longer having anything to do with her.

OR

I also interpret it as a "second" cutting of the umbilical cord. Since he's starting out at the lightning clouds, the cord could represent him finally being cut off from the Mushi, who is something like an abstract second mother to him, and born anew.

The third interpretation I have (and it could be all of them) is that instead of using this scene to tell the audience something, it could just as simply be him cherishing what this umbilical cord meant. The only time he was truly attached/connected to his mother, was when his umbilical cord wasn't cut. Anything afterwards was just her negligence and cold-heartedness. It's his only good remembrance of his mother...pretty much.
ASimpleLotusDec 7, 2014 7:40 AM
Dec 7, 2014 8:10 AM

Aug 2010
Ginko teaching "How to be a parent 101" was so fun to see XD

Reki looked really cool when he got shocked with his eyes wide open :O Gave me goosebumps.
Barion-ZaraDec 8, 2014 3:14 AM
Dec 7, 2014 3:14 PM

Sep 2008
darkreaver94 said:
Shock_Yin said:

No you haven't paid attention at all.
Reki finds it creepy when his mother tries to hug him and he knows, she doesn't love him, he even says so earlier in the episode to Ginko, did you even pay attention? because clearly you didn't or else you wouldn't be saying this.

She even outright states she doesn't care if Reki dies, do you think Reki wants to die with someone, who clearly doesn't love him. No he wouldn't. No he doesn't care for his mother, so why should he bring happiness to someone, who clearly didn't do anything good for him?

Next time think before you post something so illogical.

Okay, I'm going to rewatch this again. Good points by the way. Sorry but thanks for answering.

God, what were you guys smoking when you were watching this episode?

"Reki finds it creepy that his mother hugged him...he doesn't want to die with someone who clearly doesn't love him"

"It was enough for him to hate his mother as shown from his eyes. He sees lightning as something that loved him because of how it always seek for him no matter where he was."

were we watching the same thing? Thats not how it happened at all. Because of the mushi inside him, the lightning would falll where he was, as in his location. He attracted lightning. Which means that would endanger the people around him, which is why he used to go to that tree which was a safe distance away from his own house (and his parents) as well as the villagers.

That's what Ginko tells the mom. Her mom's explanation, that he goes out to attract lightning because he hates her was complete BS because she didn't understand his reason, until Ginko explained it to her. He was saving their (and her) ass. That's why he pushed her away at the end, not because he did not want to die with someone who didn't love him. He was saving his mother. And everybody else.

I wish I was as tough as that kid. He's my new inspiration.

I'm baffled by some of the comments here, and how this episode did not seem to faze people. I had goosebumps at least 3 times during the episode, and I felt that it was one of the most moving Mushishi episodes. Excellent, even by Mushihsi standards. Which is saying a lot.

Anyone else notice how we've had 3 episodes based around mother-son relationship this season?

sevki said:
I still think a mother should feel something for her child no matter what the conditions of having him/her; or no matter who she is married to.

You "think" and you "feel" such and such should be a fact of life, but its not. I've seen mothers who have been absolutely horrible with their children. This was nothing in comparison with what I have witnessed, heard and read in real life. You know about mothers who have actually murdered their own children, like this one mother I read about once in the states who drowned all her children in a bath tub?

Your opinion doesn't matter when in reality things are different. There are all kinds of weird people in this world, including those mothers and fathers who don't give two shits about their children.

In the case of this mother in this episode, she just didn't or couldn't love her child. She just doesn't have the capacity to, and there's nothing unrealistic about it.
eyerokDec 7, 2014 3:35 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 7, 2014 3:29 PM

Oct 2008
Gorgeous episode. Everyone give veluriel's post on page 2 a read.
Dec 7, 2014 8:24 PM
Jul 2012
sevki said:
I still think a mother should feel something for her child no matter what the conditions of having him/her; or no matter who she is married to.

This is why we need to get off of the arranged marriage aspect. It diverts attention to the idea that Shino is somehow choosing to not love her son because of selfishness, spite, or bitterness. But that's not the point at all. The point is that she does not and cannot feel love for him. She was terrified while pregnant that she would not be able to love him, and she tried a home abortion. Her husband stopped her, but the fear didn't subside. She was forced to go through the pregnancy despite not wanting to and her fears were then realized. Was it a self-fulfilling prophecy? I don't know. But post-partum depression is very real. And emotional dissociation is very real. We see it happen both in the animal kingdom and in our own human society. Mothers rejecting their young. And it confuses us. Why would they do this? At the very least, can't they try?

But the problem with this interpretation is that we're relying on our own emotional state and experiences. Shino didn't want to marry her husband and suffers an emotional breakdown. She felt abandoned by her family. By the time she marries, she's already emotionally compromised (she has a panic attack at seeing her wedding robes). She then becomes pregnant, but suffers distress and anxiety due to a fear that she will not bond with nor love the child, for whatever reason. She then tries an abortion, and is stopped by her husband. We don't see what happens after that. How did the husband treat her after the abortion attempt? Was she physically restrained? Monitored constantly? Remember, we're talking about someone who's already depressed, anxious, and has an unhealthy amount of paranoia about her pregnancy. Now she's being forced to go on with it despite her feelings.

I think a lot of people are hung up on the arranged marriage, thinking that she's spitefully choosing not to love Reki because of who the father is. But how we feel isn't completely within our control.

sevki's assertion that "a mother should feel something for her child no matter what the conditions of having him/her; or no matter who she is married to" is the heart of the problem. Get rid of the second half, because it's superfluous. Get off of the idea that she's doing this on purpose because of spite or bitterness in being forced into a loveless arranged marriage. Although this was likely the trigger event that caused her emotional breakdown, it reinforces the idea that Shino is somehow choosing to feel the way she does. It says "She's being a bitch because she had to marry a man she didn't love. Why can't she just get over it, move on, and love the kid? It's not his fault." It also completely misses the point. The real issue is the first part; and the point of Shino's attempted co-suicide with Reki.

Shino knows that she should feel for Reki. That's why she tries to kill herself with him. She knows. She's always known. She sits there, helpless and unable to love her son, feeling guilty because she knows that she's supposed to. That's why she cries in the field when Ginko is urging her to tell Reki that she cares that he lives. Because she's too honest with herself and with Reki; she can't lie to him or herself. She can't fake the emotions and she can't make herself feel something that just isn't there. She's broken, and she knows it. It eats at her from the inside and drives her to attempt suicide by dying with Reki and praying that she could be reborn as a person who is capable of loving her child unconditionally and "the way that a mother should." That she makes this confession to Reki indicates that she's fully aware that she's a failure and that she's lacking an emotional component that she just doesn't know how to fix.

I think much of this thread suffers from a lack of empathy for people who suffer from mental illness. I'm not trying to assert that Shino is a good person. But to call her a "bitch" or "pathetic" because she's incapable of feeling certain emotions is overly harsh and judgmental. Yes, she's a horrible mother. [b]But she already knows that.[/b] And because she knows that, she lets Reki go to live with relatives. Because she knows that she's failed him horribly, and yet despite her failures he's grown up into a strong person who believes in protecting the people around him. She sees in him the capacity for love that she sorely lacks.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Dec 8, 2014 4:52 AM

Oct 2013
such a good depiction of a mother-son relationship
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 8, 2014 2:23 PM

Jul 2012
Weakest episode this season.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

169 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 14, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

113 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 30, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2014

86 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 26, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2014

72 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 25, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 1, 2014

125 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 24, 2:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.