Forum Settings
Forums

Should people with serious inheritable disabilities be allowed to reproduce?

New
Should people with serious inheritable disabilities be allowed to reproduce?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 18, 2014 12:16 AM
Nov 2008
fug i voted in the poll wrong lmaooo
Dec 18, 2014 12:52 AM

Sep 2013
Sounds like the OP is dangerously close to the mindset of Margaret Sanger. Besides, what should we expect next when the government can place those kinds of restrictions on people?
Dec 18, 2014 12:55 AM

Dec 2010
Moral perspective, yes.

Evolutionary perspective, no.

Not that any of this matters to humans on a grand scale because natural selection will weed out those who deem unfit for the gene pool thousands of years from now.

Dec 18, 2014 1:15 AM

Nov 2012
Legally I don't think it's reasonably enforceable; morally I do however consider it highly irresponsible and unfair to the child to knowingly reproduce with the understanding that you are greatly increasing the risk of severe disabilities being passed on to him/her.

Yes I think they should be allowed to, but they should have the better judgment not to do it.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Dec 18, 2014 1:19 AM

Mar 2014
Its fine as long as it aint a hick, if a retarded hick reproduced it would be like the hills have eyes all over again
Dec 18, 2014 1:23 AM

Apr 2014
Wow pretty impressive. Yes and No are tied for 26 votes each right now, not bad thread idea OP

Personally, I think the (government) should give you a fair option to do so or not. Not outlaw it, but maybe withhold some privileges from the spawned child like they can't collect welfare in the future or vote, or if you want to get really strict about it, deny them the right to basic education or health care. Or simply give money to people with disabilities for notreproducing, since this would still save education and benefits costs.

Options are good, and when you're given options, you can't complain as much about it.
Dec 18, 2014 1:32 AM

Aug 2014
If I had to pick, I'd say no, the world is populated enough as it is. And while they themselves may be happy, their children might lead unhappy lives due to their disabilities.
Dec 18, 2014 1:39 AM

Nov 2012
Protaku94 said:
Personally, I think the (government) should give you a fair option to do so or not. Not outlaw it, but maybe withhold some privileges from the spawned child like they can't collect welfare in the future or vote, or if you want to get really strict about it, deny them the right to basic education or health care. Or simply give money to people with disabilities for notreproducing, since this would still save education and benefits costs.

That's even more unfair to the child. On top of the fact that he's born with severe disabilities through no fault of his own, he now also has to have his education, healthcare, and citizenship taken away on the basis of circumstances that were well beyond his control.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Dec 18, 2014 6:45 AM

Feb 2014
Got bad genes? Try an adoption!
I rarely revisit threads, so if you're after a reply you should PM me or post a comment on my profile.
Dec 18, 2014 8:28 AM

Aug 2013
Some of you say that it is more moral to let people have a choice, but is having a choice more important than the general well-being of a human life? Remember that we're working under the assumption that the child will suffer from severe issues that dominate their lives from birth to death, and there will most certainly be pain and suffering involved. Some of you might argue that who's to judge whether someone can live a fulfilling life or not? But surely some potential humans would have been better off not existing at all?

Protaku94 said:
Wow pretty impressive. Yes and No are tied for 26 votes each right now, not bad thread idea OP

Aye, it's quite interesting.
Dec 18, 2014 8:50 AM

Jan 2013

(to various people in this thread)
Dec 18, 2014 8:55 AM

Feb 2013
They're allowed to make threads on the MAL forums. I don't see why they can't have kids.
Dec 18, 2014 9:12 AM

Jan 2013
NTAD said:
They're allowed to make threads on the MAL forums. I don't see why they can't have kids.

/thread
Dec 18, 2014 9:15 AM

Feb 2013
Apparently 40 percent of MAL's CD forum would support eugenics, and I am pretty sure they are serious too. Ouch
Dec 18, 2014 9:52 AM

Mar 2012
RedArmyShogun said:

Hitler also banned fox hunting and was a vegetarian. Also well done for proving Godwins law.
Dec 18, 2014 9:58 AM

Jan 2013
ElPysCongroo said:
RedArmyShogun said:

Hitler also banned fox hunting and was a vegetarian. Also well done for proving Godwins law.

I've been wanting to use this picture for awhile. Any suitable topic the mods lock before I can get to it.
Dec 18, 2014 10:18 AM

Jul 2014
Yes, people with tumblr syndrome should not be allowed to reproduce.
Dec 18, 2014 10:43 AM

May 2014
No. The reason why is because their children will most likely NOT live entirely fulfilling lives, and depending on the disability, they could even be bullied, taken advantage of, and mistreated.
Also, in America many people with disabilities are on welfare. Honestly, their live do not serve much purpose and they are just costing the government more money.

Frankly, some are nuisances to society.
"It's time for beatin' the homeless to the oldies!"

- Hajime Muroto.
Dec 18, 2014 10:58 AM

Aug 2013
Lencurryboy said:
they should definitely have the right to reproduce.

If I was the one with an inheritable disability I probably wouldn't do it though, but it should be up to the individual.

And what mandates this? Do you have infallible proof that is a morally correct law?

You don't, this is just something you impulsively feel sounds fair, as you've assumed fairness is correct. However, fairness is only an arbitrary value propagated by people that desire efficient cooperation in society. The majority of people say they want to stand on even ground with others under the systems and structures that control our lives indirectly. It gives them a sense of security and responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

Just because an idea works in accord with what the majority will, that does not make it right. Democracy has been proven to be imperfect under the political context of an ideal system which it is defined around.

So using the 'it's only fair' argument politically or morally is not something you can use to logically justify yourself with, when you claim something "should" happen or "should" be.
Dec 18, 2014 11:08 AM

Sep 2012
Depending on the disability, absolutely not. If it's a pretty impactful disability, then giving birth to children while knowing that it'll translate to the next generation is just absolutely selfish.

If you want to be a parent that bad, then go adopt one of the many kids already out there who don't even have parents. That's a billion times better of an alternative to bringing ANOTHER kid into the world, AND forcing them to deal with your inherited disabilities bullshit.

"but no el oh el I wanna kid of my own because it's special who cares if I give them disabilities"

There are people that actually think like that, unfortunately. Don't be like them.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 18, 2014 11:12 AM

Aug 2013
Sigh~

I thought we stopped impulsively deciding if something was right or wrong and pitting it against the baseless irrationalities of others, back in the playground?

Selfishness is wrong. Fairness is right. Ad infinitum.

This is something that earns a discussion board criticism on the rationalization level.
JustaCratDec 18, 2014 11:16 AM
Dec 18, 2014 11:17 AM

Oct 2012
Yes! This question is similar to those asked by eugenicists in the 20th century.
Dec 18, 2014 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
Autocrat said:
Sigh~

I thought we stopped impulsively deciding if something was right or wrong and pitting it against the baseless irrationalities of others, back in the playground?

Selfishness is wrong. Fairness is right. Ad infinitum.

This is something that earns a discussion board criticism on the rationalization level.
You're trying to make the discussion far more deeper than it's trying to be.

The thread is a compilation of different opinions, not a circlejerk mindset that revolves around a micromanaged definition of anything that that has to do with morality. Let it be what it's trying to be instead of trying to drench it with your tryhard pseudo-intellectualism steak sauce.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Dec 18, 2014 11:24 AM

Dec 2014
No i dont believe they should be able to reproduce. After all nature only lets the strongest live. And if we keep letting them fuck around and have babies then the future would possible have mutant humans

Stupid earlier comment.

zygisrkoDec 18, 2014 11:29 AM
Dec 18, 2014 11:25 AM

Sep 2012
zygisrko said:
This is stupid as hell, inheritable disabilities means that their children dont have to worry about having a disabilities in the future....
wat
Dec 18, 2014 11:27 AM

Dec 2014
Korrvo said:
zygisrko said:
This is stupid as hell, inheritable disabilities means that their children dont have to worry about having a disabilities in the future....
wat

Woops, i thought heritable and inheratible is like Pro & Con. Let me change my oppinion on that post xD
Dec 18, 2014 11:38 AM

Aug 2013
Oh god who res'd this thread
Dec 18, 2014 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
Korrvo said:

The thread is a compilation of different opinions, not a circlejerk mindset that revolves around a micromanaged definition of anything that that has to do with morality. Let it be what it's trying to be instead of trying to drench it with your tryhard pseudo-intellectualism steak sauce.

Whilst I must compliment your artistic creativity with words - that "steak sauce" part was simply ingenious - the bottom line is, is that you are enforcing your own idea of the thread onto the public definition of the nature of this thread.

How, I must ask, was my post not my opinion? If you think it was, then you did well at respecting my addition to the compilation of different opinions. Your irrational nonsense certainly qualifies as an opinion, in your opinion, though, doesn't it?

zygisrko said:
No i dont believe they should be able to reproduce. After all nature only lets the strongest live. And if we keep letting them fuck around and have babies then the future would possible have mutant humans

Stupid earlier comment.

This kid...
Dec 18, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2012
ImaginaryFire said:
If I had to pick, I'd say no, the world is populated enough as it is. And while they themselves may be happy, their children might lead unhappy lives due to their disabilities.

Korrvo said:
"but no el oh el I wanna kid of my own because it's special who cares if I give them disabilities"

There are people that actually think like that, unfortunately. Don't be like them.

This and
xytech said:
Got bad genes? Try an adoption!

too bad a lot of people feel the NEED to make the baby themselves
Dec 18, 2014 11:50 AM

Jan 2008
From a Genetic stand point no. From a human one, yes.
Dec 18, 2014 11:51 AM

Sep 2012
Autocrat said:
Korrvo said:

Whilst I must compliment your artistic creativity with words - that "stake sauce" part was simply ingenious - the bottom line is, is that you are enforcing your own idea of the thread onto the public definition of the nature of this thread.

How, I must ask, was my post not my opinion? If you think it was, then you did well at respecting my addition to the compilation of different opinions. Your irrational nonsense certainly qualifies as an opinion in your opinion, though, doesn't it?
No I thought it yours was an opinion just like mine and everyone else's.

It's that the "deeper than it needs to be" people just make me salty, especially when they force their ideals onto others when that doesn't need to happen.

pjsalt4days
Dec 18, 2014 11:55 AM

Dec 2014
zygisrko said:

Stupid earlier comment.

This kid...[/quote]

Hey everyone makes mistakes lol.
Unless your arguing about my recent change of opinion.
Edit: And Im older than you by 3 years xD
Dec 18, 2014 11:56 AM

Aug 2013
Korrvo said:
Autocrat said:

Whilst I must compliment your artistic creativity with words - that "stake sauce" part was simply ingenious - the bottom line is, is that you are enforcing your own idea of the thread onto the public definition of the nature of this thread.

How, I must ask, was my post not my opinion? If you think it was, then you did well at respecting my addition to the compilation of different opinions. Your irrational nonsense certainly qualifies as an opinion in your opinion, though, doesn't it?
No I thought it yours was an opinion just like mine and everyone else's.

It's that the "deeper than it needs to be" people just make me salty, especially when they force their ideals onto others when that doesn't need to happen.

pjsalt4days

2deep4u, bitch.
Dec 18, 2014 11:58 AM
Oct 2014
The thing is, if it would be illegal, what should we do about it? Castrate people, force women to abortion, or pay a fine?

This can be discussed morally, then I can agree that it can be seen as immoral to breed when having a serious inheritable disability.
But if we're going to do this moral to a reality, it needs practical solutions.

However, I do not see this as a huge question for mankind. Interesting to discuss in an ethical debate. But in politics, I don't like it.

Dec 18, 2014 11:59 AM

Sep 2012
Autocrat said:

2deep4u, bitch.
that's offensive and im telling
Dec 18, 2014 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
Korrvo said:
Autocrat said:

2deep4u, bitch.
that's offensive and im telling

Nooo! Don't do that... :/
Dec 18, 2014 1:00 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
This question screams ignorance.
p r o f i l e 👀
Dec 18, 2014 10:26 PM

Nov 2014
By this logic, by the time darwinism was developed, we should all just let Darwin decide who to kill and who to survive. Dear goodness, who are you people to decide these things, killing people you think is inferior, isn't that what Hitler did?
Dec 18, 2014 10:33 PM

Aug 2014
VanPatten said:
By this logic, by the time darwinism was developed, we should all just let Darwin decide who to kill and who to survive. Dear goodness, who are you people to decide these things, killing people you think is inferior, isn't that what Hitler did?

even hitler-chan is better than this.
Dec 18, 2014 10:38 PM
Dec 2010
Nanet said:
VanPatten said:

Rather than "kill off" it's more the option of adapting selective breeding to humans. We've done it before with domesticated pets to get the most attractive traits in breeds, so why not do it to get the best genes in humans?
Dec 18, 2014 10:43 PM

Aug 2014
Stalker-tan said:
Nanet said:

Rather than "kill off" it's more the option of adapting selective breeding to humans. We've done it before with domesticated pets to get the most attractive traits in breeds, so why not do it to get the best genes in humans?

the problem is how exactly you do an analysis to pick out the best traits from the population of 7 billion, this is a census so you will have to analyze each person which costs a hell lot of money. furthermore, there is the argument on who exactly has the right to judge what types of traits are "superior" and "inferior" because the argument is that no mortal being can simply label themselves and act like god.
Dec 19, 2014 3:32 AM

Apr 2012
It's the same shit with how 40+ year old women are allowed to breed.

Or any other human being, considering there's always a chance for disabilities to happen.

"Selfish", oh my Me, is that your problem, you hypocrite?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Dec 20, 2014 9:00 AM

Oct 2010
Rarusu-sama said:
People with Down syndrome are already sterile

Apparently this is only true with male patients. Women with Down syndrome are not sterile.

Anyway, after this random quote and on topic. The question here is that inheritable doesn't equal inherited (and inherited doesn't equal expressed, to further complicate things). There is a degree, a percent of transmission and actually the most common case is that the carriers of the inherited disability are healthy individuals. There are various mechanisms that explain this, the most relevant of them being recessivity, but penetrance, influence of sex or environment among many others can reveal a mutation that remained unrevealed in the parents... One of the few cases of 100% chance in the transmission of an inheritable disability (Down syndrome through robertsonian translocation 21;21) is not expressed in the parental fenotype.

The moral question on this is already crude and I personally can't handle it due to its many prejudgements and implications, but scientifically speaking eugenics are nonsense and their purposes impossible to reach even in the long term.
Dec 20, 2014 9:14 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
Rarusu-sama said:
People with Down syndrome are already sterile

Apparently this is only true with male patients. Women with Down syndrome are not sterile.

Anyway, after this random quote and on topic. The question here is that inheritable doesn't equal inherited (and inherited doesn't equal expressed, to further complicate things). There is a degree, a percent of transmission and actually the most common case is that the carriers of the inherited disability are healthy individuals. There are various mechanisms that explain this, the most relevant of them being recessivity, but penetrance, influence of sex or environment among many others can reveal a mutation that remained unrevealed in the parents... One of the few cases of 100% chance in the transmission of an inheritable disability (Down syndrome through robertsonian translocation 21;21) is not expressed in the parental fenotype.

The moral question on this is already crude and I personally can't handle it due to its many prejudgements and implications, but scientifically speaking eugenics are nonsense and their purposes impossible to reach even in the long term.
You win.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Dec 20, 2014 10:11 AM

Jan 2014
Someone chose to revive this preversion? Good job MAL.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 20, 2014 3:04 PM

Dec 2014
I don't see why we should disallow people from reproducing. Who are we to start deciding who should and who should not, as that would lead one into Nazi ideology. Furthermore, it is very unlikely that they will reproduce due to their illness in the first place.
Dec 20, 2014 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
My simple answer would be:

"We can't decide for anyone".

removed-userDec 20, 2014 3:14 PM
Dec 20, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2011
No, we should feed them to the grinder it's not like they'd understand.
Dec 20, 2014 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
Bringing a human into this world is selfish as-is, but bringing a child into this world with a serious disease is inhumane.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them? ( 1 2 )

barababas - Apr 28

53 by Noboru »»
7 minutes ago

» How many of your friends are friends with you just to make fun of you?

LenRea - Yesterday

13 by MeanMrMusician »»
17 minutes ago

» I am trying to get over 10,000 posts on this site by the end of this year....

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

24 by MeanMrMusician »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - Apr 30

21 by MeanMrMusician »»
20 minutes ago

» What is the weather like in your region

ST63LTH - Yesterday

15 by MeanMrMusician »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.