Forum Settings
Forums

'Monogatari' Novel Series to be Continued After 'Final Season'

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 26, 2014 7:15 AM

Apr 2013
Well it's supposed to be a good news right?
Sep 26, 2014 7:21 AM

Jan 2014
ccdewa said:
Well it's supposed to be a good news right?
VERY good news...
Ramkec said:
In NisiOisin we trust.
Sep 26, 2014 9:28 AM

Jul 2010
TheOldHome said:
Nisio Isin you sly dog.

Nosio Isin, the Brett Favre of light novels!
Sep 26, 2014 9:31 AM

May 2013
Dunois said:
In 2012, it was announced that the entire Monogatari novel series will be animated by Shaft.

Great! Definitely looking forward for them all. All they need to do is to rush it up. It's taking forever!
Sep 26, 2014 9:40 AM

Jan 2011
not surprised
Sep 26, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2013
So monogatari's end isn't the end after all.
Wait... Why do I have that feeling of déjà-vu?
That's not the first time with the monogatari series, if I'm not mistaken. ;O
Sep 26, 2014 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
Final Season is going to be continued?? Cool
I hope Bleach will continue the anime too.
Sep 26, 2014 12:00 PM

Mar 2008
Heck. I love the series so for me it is great news!
Sep 26, 2014 3:24 PM

Dec 2007
Well shit, now they'll have even more to animate before they get around to Kizumonogatari
Sep 26, 2014 5:17 PM

Apr 2012
mugi said:
Ignoring that Shaft possibly profits from this as well, knowing how out of the whim Nisio Isin makes these decisions, their workload unexpectedly increased with this series over the past couple of years since they made that announcement.

LastChapter said:
Final season they said, the concluding arc they said. But it looks like it won't continue the main story and instead be between the seasons.

This isn't official as far as I know. The term "final season" came only from the japanese wiki I think, maybe Kodansha. But the author never made any promises or implications.
This.

And why are you people talking like it's your right to decide when a story ends?

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Sep 26, 2014 5:31 PM

May 2011
Dunois said:
the entire Monogatari novel series will be animated by Shaft.

Excluding Kizumonogatari, I would guess.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Sep 26, 2014 5:37 PM

Jan 2014
Immahnoob said:
mugi said:
Ignoring that Shaft possibly profits from this as well, knowing how out of the whim Nisio Isin makes these decisions, their workload unexpectedly increased with this series over the past couple of years since they made that announcement.

This isn't official as far as I know. The term "final season" came only from the japanese wiki I think, maybe Kodansha. But the author never made any promises or implications.
This.

And why are you people talking like it's your right to decide when a story ends?
I bet more than half of these people crying about milking the series for money didnt even read novels...They just go to continuation threads and post random "Milk" comments for fun...It may be really fun though,i will try it sometimes....
Sep 26, 2014 6:25 PM
Jul 2013
Hello guys, I am interest in this LN/Anime and would like to know if the series will continue the story AFTER the "Final" or will it be short stories in between previous arc?
Sep 26, 2014 6:31 PM

Aug 2012
I ain't complainin, even if it was milking. It's not really milking though when there's plenty of material to write about, but MAL will be MAL.

Hopefully translations will pick back up, and, well, god forbid Shaft animate Kizu.
Immahnoob said:

dingdingdingdingding
Sep 27, 2014 12:15 AM

Apr 2013
LonelyWizard said:
Immahnoob said:
This.

I bet more than half of these people crying about milking the series for money didnt even read novels...They just go to continuation threads and post random "Milk" comments for fun...It may be really fun though,i will try it sometimes....

I agree, but this is also true the other way around.
Now, how many people protesting about those talking about those saying "milking" in this thread have bought the novel, I wonder?
Sep 27, 2014 1:12 AM

Jan 2014
Zefyris said:
I agree, but this is also true the other way around.
Now, how many people protesting about those talking about those saying "milking" in this thread have bought the novel, I wonder?
Well i,at least read every little translated page about Monogatari series...Sadly buying is not an option...I would buy the whole series and keep it in the best spot of my bookshelf...
Sep 27, 2014 6:36 AM

Nov 2011
R4vel said:
Why are people flipping out when very few actually reads it rofl.

Because thats what all the cool kids do.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 27, 2014 7:09 AM

Nov 2008
should we just call it moneynogatari
Sep 27, 2014 8:11 AM

Oct 2007
I love how people think Nisioisin is this super genius artistic writer that is totally for the apparently world class story and character content and not at all the money. Like hell anyone would ever end the easy money train that is this franchise. Probably a lot of pressure from a lot of concerned parties over the end of their own cut of the easy money cash flow too to be fair though.

Whatever not like anyone cares, this is everyone's favorite franchise so of course they'll welcome more after what they were told was planned and make the comments about "shut up and take my money". If anything there's a good chance that the powers that be new it would be continuing and just claimed it was ending to boost hype a little for the current season. Knowing how ridiculously greed driven anime culture is especially nowadays I'd almost suspect anything.
PeacingOutSep 27, 2014 8:16 AM
Sep 27, 2014 8:15 AM

Sep 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I love how people think Nisioisin is this super genius artistic writer that is totally for the apparently world class story and character content and not at all the money. Like hell anyone would ever end the easy money train that is this franchise. Probably a lot of pressure from a lot of concerned parties over the end of their own cut of the easy money cash flow too to be fair though.

All of what you said is completely baseless.

You just put more effort than the other retards with the milking and money jokes.
Sep 27, 2014 8:17 AM

Oct 2007
luteum said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You just put more effort than the other retards with the milking and money jokes.

Believe me I've already heard the gospel of Nisioisin enough times to understand how this stuff is supposed to work on MAL. I also know what kind of fans he attracts so no need to prove anything more there either by calling people retards now.
Sep 27, 2014 8:25 AM

Sep 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
luteum said:

Believe me I've already heard the gospel of Nisioisin enough times to understand how this stuff is supposed to work on MAL. I also know what kind of fans he attracts so no need to prove anything more there either by calling people retards now.

So irrelevant, and doesn't change the baseless claim you have stated. It's only worse, when you pick a couple episodes of each season, drop them, pick up some badly translated novels online, and think that you can judge his writing, when it's heavily central on the Japanese language itself.

I can do what I want, and I'm not a Monogatari fan, so I don't really care if you think this is an instance of a representation for the fanbase.
Sep 27, 2014 9:01 AM

Oct 2007
luteum said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

So irrelevant, and doesn't change the baseless claim you have stated. It's only worse, when you pick a couple episodes of each season, drop them, pick up some badly translated novels online, and think that you can judge his writing, when it's heavily central on the Japanese language itself.

I can do what I want, and I'm not a Monogatari fan, so I don't really care if you think this is an instance of a representation for the fanbase.

I'm sorry I don't find the guys writing style and mentality the most pinnacle of the Japanese literary world and the most desirable. As I've said I've heard the gospel before many many times from his fans that just think he's the absolute greatest there is and don't care. I think the stories I've seen that he writes are largely pandering schlock that he tries to dress up with word play and distracting run on dialogue that is made to sound clever and witty but is really just a waste of text. In any case I invoke the same principle as you here. I really don't care if you people think I'm wrong....like really and truly. Enjoy your continuing The Story, I've said my peace here.

In any case to be somewhat fair this would be far from the first time a franchise has used the phrase Final and then continued a work anyway with something like Next Generation or whatever, just usually they wait more than a few weeks after something has supposedly ended in order to claim it so that they don't get these kinds of accusations of milking. For example Yamato had Final Yamato in 1983 and then would wait more than a decade before trying to bring the franchise back with Yamato 2520. Same with Godzilla and Final Wars which opted for the decade later reboot.
PeacingOutSep 27, 2014 9:13 AM
Sep 27, 2014 9:08 AM

Apr 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I'm sorry I don't find the guys writing style and mentality the most pinnacle of the Japanese literary world and the most desirable.

*Rise a hand* While I don't think NisiOisiN could ever pretend to be the pinacle of Japanese literary, nor do I think that anyone sane would say something like that, did you even read the book in their original language before looking down at the author's writing style?
Sep 27, 2014 9:17 AM

Oct 2007
Zefyris said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I'm sorry I don't find the guys writing style and mentality the most pinnacle of the Japanese literary world and the most desirable.

*Rise a hand* While I don't think NisiOisiN could ever pretend to be the pinacle of Japanese literary, nor do I think that anyone sane would say something like that, did you even read the book in their original language before looking down at the author's writing style?

No I don't like it much let alone nearly enough to want to track it down, take the time to better learn the language enough to get through it. This is more about my claim that he's not the super genius artistic author that is totally for the art and not the money though, like I said I really don't feel the need to hear the gospel of Nisioisin from anybody yet again. I can't stress nearly enough how I've heard it all before.
Sep 27, 2014 9:18 AM

Jan 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
bla bla bla
i dont get it...whats your point?I will tell you something,ALL writers,producers,directors doing their job for MONEY because its their job you know?They supposed to write for money and ofc Nisio Isin also writes for money(except Nisemonogatari) and this doesnt make his writing worse...And you may think his word plays and overuse of dialogues is a bad thing but that is your opinion...dont talk about it as if its a fact...
Sep 27, 2014 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I did not know you could read Japanese, i'm impressed.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 27, 2014 10:30 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I'm sorry I don't find the guys writing style and mentality the most pinnacle of the Japanese literary world and the most desirable....
I will probably regret asking but... I will ask: how many Nisioisin novels have you read? In Japanese? In official translations? Just wondering upon what you have based your opinion of his writing style.

Edit: was asked. Hasn't read it. I should not bother...
hpulleySep 27, 2014 12:05 PM
Sep 27, 2014 11:36 AM

Apr 2013
^Guys, I already asked him that.

This thread is full of people

-complaining about milking the series even though they don't read it and don't buy it
-complaining about people saying "milking" even though they don't buy the series either

And then, people like me who didn't buy/read monogatari either yet point out that other are talking without being concerned/without knowledge. I guess we al show in our own manner the average quality of MAL's news threads lol.

So i'll just say this to throw in the little bit of knowledge I have on this subject then.
The monogatari series is a novel series published under the Koudansha Box edition. This is a very pricey edition which price is mostly justified by... the box wrapping the book. ImO, that edition from the start pretty much screams to my hears that the editor want to get as much money as they can from the fans by putting unbelievable prices to each book. And that since NisioIsiN didn't oppose himself to this and let his books being published under this label, he probably wasn't strongly opposed to that idea either.
Now, I don't know the exact motivations nor the circumstances. But from the start, from the point of view of a regular LN/novel buyer, this series doesn't especially seem unrelated with the word "milking".
Obviously authors needs to get money to live and so are the editors, but there's hardly pricier (per page) than koudansha boxes on the japanese novel market from what I saw.
ZefyrisSep 27, 2014 11:47 AM
Sep 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Sep 2012
Zefyris said:
So monogatari's end isn't the end after all.
Wait... Why do I have that feeling of déjà-vu?
That's not the first time with the monogatari series, if I'm not mistaken. ;O
If you read what Nisioisin himself said, this was the 7th time he considered ending the series. But he is continuing it once again.
Sep 27, 2014 12:11 PM

Apr 2013
Haha, I thought I saw that a few time bu to think it was already the 7th xD
Sep 27, 2014 1:57 PM

Jun 2013
You guys do know that there's a chance that this new season could be set with a completely different cast in the same universe and oddities, right? Nisio Isin would never let go of the perfect wordplay universe he created after all.
Sep 27, 2014 3:19 PM

Sep 2012
Grouchio said:
You guys do know that there's a chance that this new season could be set with a completely different cast in the same universe and oddities, right? Nisio Isin would never let go of the perfect wordplay universe he created after all.
You want to see Nisioisin playing with words, check out Ripogura!
Sep 27, 2014 3:20 PM

Aug 2011
I think it will be a spin-off.

» Escapism.

Sep 27, 2014 7:27 PM

Sep 2011
I'm a great fan but I'm sad because it's getting milked.
Sep 28, 2014 10:14 AM
Mar 2009
Lol Isin.

I've learned my lesson by reading Medaka Box. Always expect a troll move from him.
Sep 29, 2014 1:30 AM

Apr 2012
It only becomes "milking" when a series has exerted its ideas, which the Monogatari Series clearly has not.
Oct 19, 2014 6:54 AM
Oct 19, 2014 6:59 AM

Jan 2014
We already knew they are making new season...The real question is will it be like Kizu or not...
Oct 19, 2014 7:14 AM
Jun 2012
I don't see question here. Tsukimonogatari will get anime.
Oct 19, 2014 7:16 AM

Jan 2014
marconii2002 said:
I don't see question here. Tsukimonogatari will get anime.
They also told that we will get a Kizumonogatari anime,so....Yeah....did you read what i write :(
Oct 19, 2014 7:58 AM
Jul 2018
LonelyWizard said:
Immahnoob said:
This.

Thats MAL for you.

Its trendy to hate on shit.

To call yourself an anime fan but just get mad when you watch anime then go on MAL and rag on it.

what a life.
Oct 19, 2014 8:10 AM
Jul 2018
Zefyris said:

@kodansa box

About the Kodansha box, you guys know how much people in japan love their collectibles. So For a series like monogatari that has such dedicated fans most of them are probably happy to get it like that coming in a nice box that looks good in your room. Instead of thinking about it like a scam like oh the company just wants to milk money. I mean they are not evil, they are just like any other company that exists to make money. The consumers know that. It doesn't matter.

They are just happy that their favorite LN series looks good on their shelf in their Koudansha box. ;)
Oct 19, 2014 2:25 PM

Sep 2012
GarudaAiacos said:
Zefyris said:

@kodansa box

About the Kodansha box, you guys know how much people in japan love their collectibles. So For a series like monogatari that has such dedicated fans most of them are probably happy to get it like that coming in a nice box that looks good in your room. Instead of thinking about it like a scam like oh the company just wants to milk money. I mean they are not evil, they are just like any other company that exists to make money. The consumers know that. It doesn't matter.

They are just happy that their favorite LN series looks good on their shelf in their Koudansha box. ;)
I'm happy about the Kodansha Box too. Usually by the time I'm done reading and re-reading my Monogatari novels the cover is ratty as shit. But then you slide them into their Kodansha Box and ahhhh... all is right in the world once again! Seriously...

Other LN too, I read them with the covers off so they too look good when in fact they are pretty well worn. People who buy two copies so one is mint know what they're doing.
Oct 20, 2014 2:43 AM

Apr 2013
I don't even think that box is pretty you know. It's average, at best. And the volume in itself is far from pretty, as well. the problem is that, they don't leave you choice. It's not like LE where you can choose to take the LE or the normal edition, here, they force you to buy something else than the book, and for quite the ridiculous price to boot.
Also, when Seikaisha cchoose to give a box for the full set of fate/zero, they didn't overprice the whole thing like koudansha did. And since I have it, I can tell you that that box is far better looking than the koudansha box.
Oct 20, 2014 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
I just like it because they usually have pretty cool artwork/ cover and as hpulley said you can put them back in the shelf and they stack good and help keep your books in good condition.

and about milking the series..

this argument is just pointless. Authors write to make money, yes, but he is writing about something he wants to write about. He could just as easily do another series like katanagatari and his fans would buy it just the same, he wants to write more monogatari because he feels like he has another story to tell. I am sure he is quite fond of the world / mythos he as created. What artist isn't?

Yeah you get some people who only do music, writing, whatever for the money, but you can usually tell and they usually suck. Most artists want to make money but also enjoy their work and want to do their best. Such as really good musicians, they make music because they like it, just because their last album sold well and they are making another doesnt mean they are milking their fans. His publisher choosing to do only kodansha box might be trying to do a money grab yes, but that doesn't mean the series is being milked.
Oct 21, 2014 8:02 AM

Sep 2012
It's odd though as Ripogura, Okitegami Kyouko, et al are NOT Kodansha Box. They are still Kodansha but are just the normal book with a slip cover instead of a box. I guess by doing Bakemonogatari in that format they were forced to stick with it, as it would look weird to have a 'cheap' RE version alongside the boxes now. If they were to re-release them all in bunko format that would be interesting.

Again, as far as milking it originally he just thought of writing Bakemonogatari. Then he thought it was done... 7 times! Owarimonogatari's middle volume was an afterthought, he decided he needed to write that to explain a certain period of time. Nisioisin has written so much that I expect that he does whatever the heck he wants at Kodansha. Ripogura was really, really experimental. You don't get to create something like that unless you have a lot of clout with your publisher, full creative freedom.

Monogatari is also very, very creative. I think he's just having fun at this point and it shows at times.

Just interesting to think that most of the stuff that happened in Final Season was a result of stuff he really did on a bit of a lark in Nisemonogatari. That and loose ends from Second Season. And yet it is really, really awesome. Can't wait for Tsuki's anime on New Year's Eve and hope so much that the last frame of it will say, "The rest of Final Season coming in 2015 summer!"
Oct 21, 2014 9:41 AM

Apr 2009
Zefyris said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

So nobody can criticize the book because we didn't read it in its original language? I surely hope that is not what you are implying.
Obviously translations will not match the original language in 99% of the cases, but you can get a pretty good idea what the general writing style is in a lot of cases...

Also:
The anime adaptions of his various works as well as his manga are enough to give anyone plenty of material to figure out his style by now.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 21, 2014 10:13 AM

Feb 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
So nobody can criticize the book because we didn't read it in its original language? I surely hope that is not what you are implying.
Obviously translations will not match the original language in 99% of the cases, but you can get a pretty good idea what the general writing style is in a lot of cases...

To be fair, translations can easily end up really messed up when not translated properly. For example The Witcher novels were really badly translated in English, almost unreadable, while the source and other translations are good. Similarly, Bakemonogatari is probably translated by some dude that likes the book, and he may or may not be experienced enough to translate a book properly. Especially the translations hosted on baka-tsuki, while lots of these LNs are really bad, the translations themselves are usually bad as well. Basically, even the best style can look like shit if not translated properly.

Though if Nisio was a good writer, he wouldn't waste time with low grade Light Novels and would start publishing real books, books that the whole nation and world would read. So there's that.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 21, 2014 10:18 AM

Apr 2009
Fair enough, and while I agree that most of the baka-tsuki translations do not look like they could pass serious quality control they at least show you the usual way he handles his characters.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Darwin Jihen' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

11 by Piromysl »»
6 hours ago

» Kinema Citrus Announces 'Sayonara Lara', 'Ninja Skooler' Original Anime

DatRandomDude - May 18

19 by daddymahitowo »»
7 hours ago

» 'Edens Zero' Manga Ends in Five Chapters

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
8 hours ago

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

9 by Kamirura »»
Yesterday, 12:02 PM

» 'Touken Ranbu Kai' Prequel Anime Movie Announced for August 2024

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 11:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.