Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 8:06 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Production company TOHO animation announced a television anime adaptation of Shun Umezawa's Darwin Jihen (The Darwin Incident) manga and revealed a teaser visual (pictured) on Wednesday.

Umezawa began serializing the sci-fi manga in Afternoon magazine in June 2020. Kodansha shipped the seventh volume on May 22. Kodansha USA licensed the manga in English in November 2022. The fifth volume went on sale on May 7.

In 2022, Darwin Jihen won the Excellence Award at the 25th Japan Media Arts Festival and placed first in the Manga Taisho Award rankings. The manga also ranked tenth in 2022's Kono Manga ga Sugoi in the Male Readers' Top 20 and was nominated twice in the General category of the Kodansha Manga Awards in 2023 and 2024.

The Animal Liberation Alliance, an eco-terrorist organization, rescues a pregnant chimpanzee from an animal testing lab—only for it to give birth to a half-human, half-chimpanzee "humanzee" named Charlie! Fifteen years later, Charlie's human foster parents are finally ready to send him to a normal high school, where he makes his first friend: a human girl named Lucy. In the meantime, however, the ALA's stance has become ever more extreme, and now they're here to drag Charlie into their terrorist plot… (Source: Kodansha USA)

Official X (Twitter): @darwins_anime

Source: Comic Natalie

Darwin Jihen on MAL
DatRandomDudeMay 21, 8:15 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 21, 8:51 AM

May 2015
"rescues a pregnant chimpanzee from an animal testing lab—only for it to give birth to a half-human, half-chimpanzee "humanzee"

I have questions...
May 21, 9:01 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to Ishitateso
"rescues a pregnant chimpanzee from an animal testing lab—only for it to give birth to a half-human, half-chimpanzee "humanzee"

I have questions...
@Ishitateso LMAO me too bro that synopsis is crazy

May 21, 9:24 AM

Sep 2020
Synopsis sounds like a Hollywood thriller.
May 21, 10:11 AM

Apr 2012
It's been a long time since I first encountered this manga and have been waiting for the announcement of the adaptation out of curiosity that I already feel like a fan of it, lmao. It finally happened.
RobertBobertMay 21, 11:10 AM
May 21, 10:24 AM
Jul 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
It's been a long time since I first encountered this manga and have been waiting for the announcement of the adaptation out of curiosity that I already feel like a fan of it, lmao. It finally happened.
@RobertBobert I’ve been wanting to read this one for quite some time, but I could never find it anywhere. But now I guess I’ll just wait for the anime haha.
May 21, 10:30 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Phlaryx
@RobertBobert I’ve been wanting to read this one for quite some time, but I could never find it anywhere. But now I guess I’ll just wait for the anime haha.
@Phlaryx There is probably a translation error here, since I wanted to say that I first became acquainted with it quite a long time ago, and not that I have been reading it for a long time (as far as I remember, the first chapter is officially available for readinng on the localizer website). But I heard so much about how popular it was and had potential for adaptation that at some point I started following news about it.
RobertBobertMay 21, 10:35 AM
May 21, 10:52 AM
Jul 2017
Reply to RobertBobert
@Phlaryx There is probably a translation error here, since I wanted to say that I first became acquainted with it quite a long time ago, and not that I have been reading it for a long time (as far as I remember, the first chapter is officially available for readinng on the localizer website). But I heard so much about how popular it was and had potential for adaptation that at some point I started following news about it.
@RobertBobert ah okay. It’s the same way for me too haha. I heard about this manga roughly 2 years ago when I saw that it won some type of manga award, and ever since then I’ve been checking up on it here and there to see if there were any translations, but so far nothing’s come up. I’ve also seen it in those “manga likely to get anime” interest stacks, and I’m pretty excited to see that we’re finally getting one!
May 21, 10:55 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Phlaryx
@RobertBobert ah okay. It’s the same way for me too haha. I heard about this manga roughly 2 years ago when I saw that it won some type of manga award, and ever since then I’ve been checking up on it here and there to see if there were any translations, but so far nothing’s come up. I’ve also seen it in those “manga likely to get anime” interest stacks, and I’m pretty excited to see that we’re finally getting one!
@Phlaryx I've been sitting at home with a cold for a couple of weeks now, so I don't always know what I'm doing, lol. Likewise, although if you look at the publication start date, not much time has passed. But I already feel like I've been following this for at least 10 years, lmao.
May 21, 11:16 AM

Apr 2020
Planet of the Apes anime?
May 21, 1:35 PM
Sep 2022
I honestly thought this would never get an anime adaptation, so I'm very pleased by the announcement. Hopefully the production will be solid.
May 21, 11:27 PM

Jul 2015
Reminds me of this gem.

May 22, 6:43 AM

Feb 2012
Sounds diabolical indeed.
May 22, 9:14 AM
Jul 2016
Hooray for another anime adaptation from my "Manga likely to get an anime adaptation" list! I read like 10 chapters of this, and I think it has potential.

I think Charlie's a pretty chill monkey lol.
May 22, 10:52 PM

Jul 2016
Hmm, doesn't sound like an anime lol.
May 24, 7:53 PM
Aug 2018
What on god's green earth is that plot?

More topics from this board

» 'Amagami-san Chi no Enmusubi' Announces Additional Cast, Staff for Fall 2024

Hyperion_PS - 9 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
9 minutes ago

» 'Spy x Family' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Jun 9

37 by RED-clover12 »»
25 minutes ago

» Video Game 'Guilty Gear: Strive' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

21 by Ionliosite2 »»
51 minutes ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets Second Anime Season

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

19 by Shirayukin »»
3 hours ago

» Orange, Qubic Pictures Produce 'Leviathan' Anime for 2025

DatRandomDude - Jun 6

15 by Lucifrost »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.