Haikyuu overrated?
Yes
4.5%
No
95.5%
89 votes
Sep 14, 2014 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
I can't believe how high the rating has gone.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
ittou_shuraSep 10, 2016 1:36 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2014 11:49 AM

Dec 2012
Only matter of time before this thread happened.

rasenshiruken973 said:
I've noticed if you have a shounen anime in your favorites apparently your opinion will be invalid (sorry!) lol.

Haikyuu! is a shounen anime. But you probably mean battle anime.
Sep 14, 2014 11:56 AM

May 2013
I agree with you to a extent, baby steps to me is very underrated and shouldnt be turned down just because of the name or that most people think its just a romance tennis anime. Haikyuu! is pretty good as well i enjoy it and it puts a smile on my face, Haikyuu a soild 8/10 from me/ baby steps soild 7 in my opinion
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
Sep 14, 2014 12:07 PM

May 2008
Because Haikyuu! is fujobait.

Fujobait anime (especially sports) are always rated high
Sep 14, 2014 12:16 PM

Oct 2013
rasenshiruken973 said:

Don't worry, it will go higher! :)
Sep 14, 2014 1:06 PM

Aug 2009
Lol the same pressed person in the Baby Steps forum putting down Haikyuu to raise Baby Steps up. Comparing the two even, when they have absolutely nothing in common.

Sigh..

The score has gotten so high these days no wonder people stay mad, but I don't understand why. Why make a thread such as this when majority of the people that come to this forum (in Haikyu) actually like this anime.
Also how does having shounen in your favorites invalidate your opinion? Please, many people like shounen for different reasons regardless of the action.

Haikyuu has a great story, interesting characters, humor, great animation, flawless OSTs, and just everything is done right. Production IG adapted it correctly and these are the results. So GET OVER IT! I'm so tired of the baby step fans whining about the score. I thought scores didn't even matter to you guys that much?
Long story short Haikyuu deserves it's score. It appeals to many people because of the story and the characterization. It's not all about the flashy plays or the intense matches. Please get over yourself and do something productive with your time.

bigivelfhq said:
rasenshiruken973 said:

yes it will!

Sep 14, 2014 1:07 PM

Aug 2011
its just so good, live with that ...
Sep 14, 2014 1:09 PM

Dec 2012
Psyche_Izaya said:

Not really.

lovexLuffy said:
Lol the same pressed person in the Baby Steps forum putting down Haikyuu to raise Baby Steps up. Comparing the two even, when they have absolutely nothing in common.

They are both shounen sports anime, that aired at the same season.

How can you miss the obvious reason of the comparison...
Sep 14, 2014 1:27 PM

Apr 2014
Lol what is it with people putting down one thing in order to praise the other? You should be careful what you say next time because this time you just contradicted yourself, and only got called out for being a hypocrite. (: Haha.

And if you want Baby Steps to be popular, why not promote it? I don't know, make an advertisement, make a video or something. Entice people to watch it instead of giving it a publicity of a "whiney Baby Steps fan promotes another sport anime that you should really watch".
Sep 14, 2014 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
Psyche_Izaya said:

I'm a fujoshi yaoi fan but I never thought about shipping all the characters together lol. I specifically watched Haikyuu because I was on a volleyball team in middle school and its also my favorite sport. I'm probably not the only one who likes volleyball or is a sports fanatic.

Anyway, I thought a good number of the audience is watching it for the sport?
Sep 14, 2014 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
I personally don't really like volleyball at all, it sometimes quite boring, and I prefer football and Tennis over it.

I gave this anime a 9/10 because of the characters, the atmosphere and the comedy, and it manages to make the matches intense and engaging.
Sep 14, 2014 1:42 PM

Aug 2009
tsudecimo said:

Yea but that's all. They are not even the same sport. I find it more plausible to compare PoT with BS. I didn't miss it, it's just not that significant of a reason to compare them to me.

Sep 14, 2014 1:46 PM

Apr 2013
lovexLuffy said:
tsudecimo said:

Yea but that's all. They are not even the same sport. I find it more plausible to compare PoT with BS. I didn't miss it, it's just not that significant of a reason to compare them to me.
PoT is pretty bullshit

Seriously though PoT has a completely different focus and mood than Baby Steps does.
Sep 14, 2014 1:50 PM

Feb 2012
Why does people in this forum cares so much about MAL ranking?

As if it was important at all.
Sep 14, 2014 1:51 PM

Aug 2009
Cupquake said:
PoT is pretty bullshit

Seriously though PoT has a completely different focus and mood than Baby Steps does.

This is true. The mood and focus is completely different. I was comparing them more along the lines of them being within the same sport. But with that said, the same thing could be said about Haikyu. The focus there is absolutely different from BS. So I don't see why they compare the two. Airing at the same time just isn't enough justification for me. That's like me comparing Scandal with Grey's Anatomy because they air right after one another.....

Sep 14, 2014 2:17 PM

Nov 2010
Before anything else, I'll just state clearly that I have no interest whatsoever in discussing how over-rated HQ! actually is or try to debate its quality in this kind of thread, I just have something related to this type of issue to state.
I think that whenever any anime a person dislikes or feels indifferent towards enters the top 100, that person will see it as over-rated. That's perfectly normal, opinions will naturally vary within a certain degree. The thing that separates the polite community members from the entitled rage-seeking self-centered community members is the creation of sh*tstorm-bait threads such as these that serve no purpose other than to show a few people's limited perspectives and lack of acceptance and respect.

On a personal note, I do find it sincerely ironic that you have No Game No Life in your favorites. I find it ironic not because I find it over-rated myself (which I do, but that's perfectly unimportant) but because NGNL is the anime that has been the biggest target of this kind of thing since SAO. You would think that seeing one of your favorites being constantly and heavily flamed and targeted with dozens of worthless threads like this you would be a bit more respectful and aware of differing opinions but I guess not.

I do give you props though. With your truly unfortunate statement about moe and shounen anime on one's favorites - which again is ironic in and of itself as others have pointed out - you got me to reply for the first time to this kind of a thread.
Sep 14, 2014 2:46 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
I personally don't really like volleyball at all, it sometimes quite boring, and I prefer football and Tennis over it.

I gave this anime a 9/10 because of the characters, the atmosphere and the comedy, and it manages to make the matches intense and engaging.

I actually play volleyball, but yeah. I gave it a 9 for the same reasons as well.
Sep 14, 2014 3:19 PM

Apr 2014
Nope, not at all.
Sep 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Feb 2010
Some people just can't stand sports animes and don't end up enjoying it.
Sports animes focus on several themes such as character development, comedy, comradery or even romance but people prefer a few themes over another. It's all about preferences.
EarlCielSep 14, 2014 3:39 PM
Sep 14, 2014 3:39 PM

Oct 2012
A bit, I'll give it a 8/10.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Sep 14, 2014 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Not sure how haikyuu is fujoshi anime.
Sep 14, 2014 4:29 PM

Feb 2009
kurosaki_kabuto said:
Before anything else, I'll just state clearly that I have no interest whatsoever in discussing how over-rated HQ! actually is or try to debate its quality in this kind of thread, I just have something related to this type of issue to state.
I think that whenever any anime a person dislikes or feels indifferent towards enters the top 100, that person will see it as over-rated. That's perfectly normal, opinions will naturally vary within a certain degree. The thing that separates the polite community members from the entitled rage-seeking self-centered community members is the creation of sh*tstorm-bait threads such as these that serve no purpose other than to show a few people's limited perspectives and lack of acceptance and respect.

On a personal note, I do find it sincerely ironic that you have No Game No Life in your favorites. I find it ironic not because I find it over-rated myself (which I do, but that's perfectly unimportant) but because NGNL is the anime that has been the biggest target of this kind of thing since SAO. You would think that seeing one of your favorites being constantly and heavily flamed and targeted with dozens of worthless threads like this you would be a bit more respectful and aware of differing opinions but I guess not.

I do give you props though. With your truly unfortunate statement about moe and shounen anime on one's favorites - which again is ironic in and of itself as others have pointed out - you got me to reply for the first time to this kind of a thread.

good post.

He definitely mad breh.

I'll be watching Baby Steps as well. Afaik, there haven't been m(any) volleyball animu, the art looks good from the poster, the first episode really grabbed my attention in a good way. And this show has done nothing but deliver.

Why are you hating it? I like Mondaiji better than NGNL , but i still gave NGNL a positive review b/c its a good anime.
Sep 14, 2014 5:45 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

People assume every anime with a male-centric cast is fujoshi bait. *rolls eyes*
Sep 14, 2014 6:06 PM

Dec 2012
What would you guys say if I put Hajime no Ippo next to Haikyuu? I don't mean to compare them, but I'd like to know if the two have anything similar in particular.

Hajime no Ippo actually changed my opinion on boxing and made me pick up the sport itself.. not to say that I want to pick up volleyball, I just want to know if it delivers intensity the same way.
Sep 14, 2014 6:10 PM

Nov 2013
Uber_Dewber said:
What would you guys say if I put Hajime no Ippo next to Haikyuu? I don't mean to compare them, but I'd like to know if the two have anything similar in particular.

Hajime no Ippo actually changed my opinion on boxing and made me pick up the sport itself.. not to say that I want to pick up volleyball, I just want to know if it delivers intensity the same way.

agree completely. same exact thing happened to me
Sep 14, 2014 6:43 PM

Aug 2013
Forgot to say. I don't think Haikyuu is bad. I gave it a (slightly generous) 8/10. But it just baffles me that Baby Steps has nowhere near the same score, yet it excels in areas Haikyuu does not. Such as realistic character development and pacing. In my opinion, of course.

Anyway it's been fun guys. I laughed so much reading all the responses. Many apologies if I have offended anyone, or appeared disrespectful of other's opinions. I do not deny Haikyuu has its merits, and deserves the score it has. But only if Baby Steps was rated at least 8.40
Sep 14, 2014 6:53 PM

Aug 2009
rasenshiruken973 said:
Such as realistic character development and pacing. In my opinion, of course.

What is there to complain about the pacing? Literally what was wrong with it? You state it was an issue. Was it too fast, too slow for your liking. The pacing seemed fine to me objectively, it flowed pretty nicely. I don't think there is a pacing issue. Baby Steps skipped months and the pacing of the anime was quite quick, a year flew by within 25 episodes. I'm not complaining though. That's how the anime is. I don't understand why ppl take pacing into consideration at all. Why not let the story be told, how it's told.
Also onto the realistic characters. Haikyu had some realistic characters as well. What wasn't realistic about it? The flashy plays? There are plenty of sports with flashy plays every now and then. If you are going to state your opinion back it up.

Sep 14, 2014 7:32 PM

Oct 2013
rasenshiruken973 said:
realistic character development and pacing. In my opinion, of course.

What do you mean by "realistic character development"?
I hope you're not talking about the abilities of the players, because Ei-chan has super vision, super fast writing, super memorization.

And by saying that Baby Steps has a better pacing, I hope you're not forgetting all the skipped basic training and tournaments of Ei-chan by the 8 episode where it jump one entire year.
bigivelfhqSep 14, 2014 7:42 PM
Sep 14, 2014 8:05 PM

Jan 2010
Haikyuu is pretty good. As I've only seen 9 episodes of it I can't give it a fair review, but I can say that I wasn't as eager to watch Haikyuu than I was to watch Baby Steps. I wanted to watch Baby Steps every week. It could be because I am watching too many sports anime at the moment, who knows why.
Sep 14, 2014 8:42 PM

Apr 2013
Psyche_Izaya said:

the word fujoshi makes me cringe, fujoshi shows make me cringe.. yet I'm a haikyuu fanboy.

there's something wrong with your logic.

actually dont even know how you can consider haikyuu fujoshi-bait..? derp
Sep 14, 2014 8:50 PM
Aug 2011
mayukachan said:
SolviteSekai said:

People assume every anime with a male-centric cast is fujoshi bait. *rolls eyes*

Did you see when that guy stood next to that other guy? Fuck this homo anime 1/10.
Sep 15, 2014 5:30 AM
Oct 2008
rasenshiruken973 said:

Why? Is it surprising that nowadays anything remotely "good" is overrated to death over the past couple years like Fairy Tail, SAO, Magi(The Anime is Crap), NGNL, HnIppoS3, Ping Pong, and NagiAsu to name a few.

Salce said:
Why does people in this forum cares so much about MAL ranking?

As if it was important at all.

This... just because more Users on a website rate it high doesn't really mean anything. If anything its more annoying every time any show is liked to see a thread about someone bitch about why people like it and see the childish quips thrown back and forth.
aksdmklsmalasSep 15, 2014 5:35 AM
Sep 15, 2014 8:15 AM

Mar 2011
Everything that's highly rated is overrated to you hypocritical people. What isn't overrated to all of you? FMA, steins;gate, code geass, gurren lagann. Every single top anime has a post about being "overrated". Dont watch it then.
Sep 15, 2014 10:36 AM

Mar 2008
mayukachan said:
SolviteSekai said:

^I agree~ Just to be clear Haikyuu! is not a fujoshi-anime, besides, any fujoshi can make a ship out of any other anime if they want to, so I feel that it's kinda unfair(?) to say that this anime is highly rated because it's fujobait(I'm one but I ship none in this anime). In the first place, I don't think majority of Haikyuu! fans are fujoshis. If you want an example of an anime that is a total fujobait look for the swimming anime... haha!

-------->> BACK to the real topic
rasenshiruken973 said:

What makes this sooooooo much better than for example Baby Steps then?

Apart from the animation.

When I read this I'm like "Oh no you didn't..." XD

First of all, Haikyuu! deserves it's high score all the way(at least in it's respective genre). I have not seen Baby Steps so I cannot say if Haikyuu! is better but if you put down or question this anime's quality for another, much more, make your thread smack right in it's page, you're just really asking for a scolding(from it's fans) or just kinda disrespecting those who gave the anime a high score for it's value(in MY opinion alright?).

There's a lot to be considered if you ask why Haikyuu! is overrated though(IF it is overrated, idk), such as exposure, it's promotions,the opportunity, and such. Even the seiyuus add an impact to an anime's popularity...

Anyway, as you said, you probably shouldn't make threads like this when you're in a bad mood(specially) or at least not in Haikyuu's page, since you're dissatisfied w Baby Steps rate you might as well keep it there. ^^
ImaiSep 15, 2014 10:47 AM

Sep 15, 2014 10:46 AM

Mar 2009
Thread cleaned.
Removed baiting/spam.
Sep 15, 2014 12:42 PM

Dec 2013
I'm watching both Haikyuu and Baby Steps and they're both good, but Haikyuu is way better.
For me, Baby Steps is a 7/10 and Haikyuu is a 9/10.
Baby Steps can get a bit tedious to watch and feel like a chore, but Haikyuu has me excited with each and every episode.
Sep 15, 2014 1:30 PM

Mar 2012
I like Baby Steps more and i don't think that Haikyuu is overrated. Just be realistic. Haikyuu is more popular and produced by Production IG, has great animation, great OST, has varied cast of characters, starts bombastic and finishes with high tension, which means there was no decrease in quality. Baby steps is great but its produced by the hated Pierrot and it is more old school type where the protagonist develops slowly and has some traits that few people like.
huntxSep 15, 2014 1:34 PM
Sep 15, 2014 2:52 PM

May 2008
Sourire said:

Psyche_IzayaSep 15, 2014 3:47 PM
Sep 15, 2014 6:40 PM

Jul 2013
parfaited said:
mayukachan said:

Did you see when that guy stood next to that other guy? Fuck this homo anime 1/10.

shirtless and pantsless Tanaka-senpai :)
Sep 15, 2014 8:00 PM

Aug 2008
I ddin't watch Baby Steps but I enjoy Haikyuu as much as Kuroko no Basket.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 16, 2014 10:30 AM

Nov 2008
bigivelfhq said:
rasenshiruken973 said:

+1
Sep 16, 2014 10:36 AM

Apr 2014
Nope and I hope its score increases even further.
Sep 16, 2014 10:42 AM

Nov 2012
its just good.
it deserve minimum 8.
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 17, 2014 9:59 AM

Aug 2013
One word: Fangirls ;)

Just kidding, but I think the Anime simply embodies everything that I like about the sports genre, although the bromance can be a bit overwhelming at times. Comparing it to Baby Steps, I thought it was miles ahead of Baby Steps... just to me, of course.
WaltzpySep 17, 2014 10:03 AM
Sep 17, 2014 10:03 AM

Oct 2008
Seriousti said:
One word: Fangirls ;)

*coughFreeKurokoNoBasket*
Sep 18, 2014 5:00 AM

Jun 2008
ninjastarforcex said:
its just good.
it deserve minimum 8.
The last two episodes pushed it over an 8 (to bad we can't give something like and 8.2 or 8.5...lol). Still a lot of anime ahead of us for this series. Hope they can keep it up, if more are made.
(worse series have been given second and third seasons...go figure)
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Sep 18, 2014 5:02 AM

Jan 2013
Psyche_Izaya said:
Sourire said:

fuck thats good photoshop
Sep 18, 2014 5:06 AM

Sep 2012
Haikyuu! overrated?

No: 95.51%

REKT!
Sep 18, 2014 5:07 AM

Mar 2014
It's a good anime but nothing special imo. There are some overdramatic moments, like when Asahi returned to the team. Besides that, it's pretty enjoyable, 7-8/10 for me.
Sep 18, 2014 5:08 AM

Jan 2013
danae17 said:
It's a good anime but nothing special imo. There are some overdramatic moments, like when Asahi returned to the team. Besides that, it's pretty enjoyable, 7-8/10 for me.

why was it over dramatic?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

302 by Leggoo »»
Apr 25, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2014

154 by AnimeBeckYor »»
Apr 20, 7:37 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

325 by Carpal_Tunnel69 »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2014

169 by ElGuaguaso »»
Mar 29, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2014

171 by Arizona89 »»
Mar 27, 6:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.