Forum Settings
Forums

Would you be the stay at home parent or the bread winner?

New
Jun 22, 2014 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
Say you and your partner had a child/ren with one having to stay home and look after the kids while the other half was working. Meaning on one side you get to see your kids everyday, grow up with them and on the other side you have the worker bringing in the money but not getting enough time with the kids.

If you could choose, which one and why? (Not both)

Or of course if you're not planning to have children then that's fine...but mum said I wasn't planned sooo erm yeah :'(

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 22, 2014 7:40 PM

Sep 2012
If I could choose?

Staying the fuck home, hell yes. Fuck working all my damn life.

But I doubt life will be so kind as to give me that choice..
Jun 22, 2014 7:46 PM

Jun 2012
Who would actually choose to go to work?
Jun 22, 2014 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
Being at home all day is boring as hell, I'd rather have a career.
Jun 22, 2014 7:49 PM

Sep 2012
Bread winner cause that's what manly men do.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 22, 2014 7:54 PM

Jun 2012
Bread winner, naturally. I can't have someone else pulling my weight.
Korrvo said:
Only if they're confined to misandrist gender roles.

How does it feel to be societies toilet?
Jun 22, 2014 7:56 PM
Aug 2012
I would stay at home obviously.
Jun 22, 2014 8:02 PM

Sep 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Bread winner, naturally. I can't have someone else pulling my weight.
Korrvo said:
Only if they're confined to misandrist gender roles.

How does it feel to be societies toilet?
Manly
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 22, 2014 8:16 PM

Mar 2014
Any self-respecting man would be a bread winner, and not one who relies on his female counterpart to pull his ass. Too bad the modernized way of living has completely reversed many natural conventions.
RyukatsukaJun 22, 2014 9:56 PM
Jun 22, 2014 8:26 PM

Oct 2012
neither since i wouldn't have kids
RRRRRRRRRR
Jun 22, 2014 8:28 PM

Jan 2008
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of parents that wouldn't want to be stuck with their kids 24/7.
Jun 22, 2014 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
If I ever get married, doubt I would want to stay home with the kitties all day.
Jun 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Jan 2011
I want to be the stay at home parent, but in this day and age does that even exist anymore?
Jun 22, 2014 9:00 PM

Apr 2014
I would rather stay at home and look after the kiddies and clean, because I like that stuff anyway. :D
Jun 22, 2014 9:51 PM

Dec 2012
Thread cleaned. Spam removed.
Jun 22, 2014 11:26 PM

Apr 2013
Ryukatsuka said:
Any self-respecting man would be a bread winner, and not one who relies on his female counterpart to pull his ass. Too bad the modernized way of living has completely reversed many natural conventions.

Those conventions are stupid & 1s who champions them are retarded & they're not natural, if you believe that simply because of birthing roles then you are a moron.
Jun 23, 2014 12:25 AM
Nov 2008
bread winner, because i'm more confident in spending money that is my own.
Jun 23, 2014 12:28 AM

Nov 2013
Id pick working since i hate kids :/
Jun 23, 2014 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
SWOOPE-CHAN WHY DO YOU KEEP CRYING *SLAP SLAP*

Ever since I was in highschool I've always wanted to be a house mummy.
> __ >
Jun 23, 2014 1:09 AM

Feb 2008
How about me and my wife live as equals? The whole 'busy man and quiet housewife' model is archaic to me and I don't exactly feel comfortable with the idea of being a stay-at-home dad either. I'd rather we both work and do something interesting with our lives.
Jun 23, 2014 1:12 AM

Mar 2012
It would be nice to both work part time. As in, 25-30 hours per week.

That would be my ideal life. But if I'd had to make a choice between being a houseman or a bread winner I'd go for the latter one. I don't mind working and if I wouldn't all my studying would have been for nothing.
Jun 23, 2014 1:38 AM

Mar 2012
I'd definitely want to be the bread-winner. I don't know, I'd just imagine myself feeling odd and too dependent if I rode off the finances of my partner. I could never imagine myself as a stay-at-home parent; I've just been working towards the idea of building my future career for way too long to write it off anytime soon. Then again, I think it'd feel a bit unsettling if I had a husband who acted as the stay-home-parent while I went off to work every day. Realistically, there doesn't have to be a stay-at-home parent/bread-winner duo. A lot of parents these days both work.
Jun 23, 2014 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
At this point of my life I rather have a career. I don't like kids and I could not imagine being at home with them all day, everyday. Also, I like to make my own money. :)
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Jun 23, 2014 6:01 AM

Aug 2012
Nestala said:
Stay at home, relax and watch anime. Seriously, why would I stress myself and go to work if I don't have to?
And it's not like you're stuck with the kiddos all day, they'll have to attend kindergarten, school, high school... Maybe even extracurricular activities too, that leaves oneself plenty of time.
Jun 23, 2014 6:15 AM
May 2009
If you mean a be at home dad, I probably could do that. Plus with my occupation I can work from home anyways.
Jun 23, 2014 6:25 AM

Sep 2011
Lol @ people saying stay at home as if it's simply a day off everyday

Lol @ people saying it's archaic and why not both work?

Lol @ people thinking that it's not possible for one to stay at home while the other works? whut

I'd do whatever it takes to make sure my children have a place to sleep, food, and a suitable environment to play and grow up.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Jun 23, 2014 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Neither because I have no plans on having kids.
Jun 23, 2014 7:04 AM

Jul 2013
How does one win bread?

Is there a competition for this kind of thing?
Jun 23, 2014 7:51 AM

Jun 2012
Lime_ said:
How isnt it a day off everyday? All you need to do is make sure none of your kids die or do anything stupid. Oh also cook and clean, but still thats remotely easy.
Jun 23, 2014 8:01 AM

Apr 2008
neither and both :/
Jun 23, 2014 10:09 AM

Apr 2014
Considering my girlfriend is at work right now while my sorry unemployed ass is here on MAL...

I would definitely be a stay at home dad

Jun 23, 2014 1:05 PM

Oct 2013
I spent too damn long IN the house. Time for a career.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 23, 2014 1:18 PM

Dec 2008
Breadwinner. There's only so much you can do around the house when the kids are at school, I'd be bored to death. I can see myself being one of those working mums, struggling to pay for a babysitter but working hard along with my partner to provide a good home for our kids.
Jun 23, 2014 1:35 PM

Aug 2012
I would be a breadwinner. My parents can help take care of the kids.

The only reason i could think of being a stay at home parent, is if I wanted to go back to college and reeducate myself or something similar to further my career.
Jun 23, 2014 1:38 PM

Mar 2014
I could be either, really. I'd only want to be the breadwinner for security, because if the relationship falls apart and I'm just staying at home, I'm probably fucked.
Jun 23, 2014 2:58 PM

Jun 2014
I'd choose work but not because I like to work but I wouldn't want my waifu keeping the family afloat that's not what a manly man does. Manly men go earn some dough, make it rain at a club, then come back home before the wife notices. That's manly.
Jun 23, 2014 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
dragonlight said:
Lime_ said:
How isnt it a day off everyday? All you need to do is make sure none of your kids die or do anything stupid. Oh also cook and clean, but still thats remotely easy.

I always find it stressful to know what the mother has to cook for her family.
Jun 23, 2014 4:30 PM

May 2011
Work shifts and take turns.
Jun 23, 2014 6:48 PM

Jan 2011
Lime_ said:

Lol @ people thinking that it's not possible for one to stay at home while the other works? whut

It's not impossible but most families would be more comfortable with more income I think.
Jun 23, 2014 7:00 PM
Oct 2008
Having worked in a job that had long hours and been a stay at home mum, work is so much easier than being a full time parent. The sleep deprivation, mind numbing drudgery, lack of adult conversation (and when you get together with other mums, all they want to talk about it nappies), mumsy clothes (you can't wear nice clothes because kids will pull, spew on and generally ruin nice outfits. You can't get down on the floor and wrestle in a designer top. Plus you are down one income so nice clothes is no longer an option anyway), self sacrifice (one income means that you can keep pulling your hair back in a ponytail for another month instead of getting it cut so the kids can have swimming lessons) etc. You spend all day running around but ask what you have been done and you can't think of anything. Bear in mind though, that it takes 20min just to get the kids into the car. So a trip down the shop chews up an hour of your day just bundling kids in and out of the car, let alone getting them around the shopping aisles which is a whole drama in itself. Did you know toast tastes completely different if you cut it in squares instead of triangles? You have no idea just how exhausting and frustrating battling with a child over food is until you do it every. single. meal. I look back at my judgements and opinions on parenting pre-kids and cringe. That is not to say being a stay at home parent doesn't have it's rewards. It is just a completely different type of hard to work but at least when you work, you get respect, alone time and income for your troubles. The point is if you say stay at home parents have it easy, I will so whale on you right now :D
CottonrabbitJun 23, 2014 7:04 PM
Jun 23, 2014 7:14 PM

Sep 2011
Hey look, the poster above me has a clue~!
ReaperCreeper said:
Lime_ said:

It's not impossible but most families would be more comfortable with more income I think.

What? Couldn't you say that about anything. . .

Would it be worth the trade? So you're going to get a job and put your child in daycare instead (Can you make enough money that it covers the cost and justifies putting your child in daycare?) It's not cheap...

and then would you want to? So what, you make a little extra money now, but who's even raising your child? You don't even see them! Do you want to hear about his/her first steps from someone else? Their first words to be someone elses name? Their drawings to be of someone elses house? Why'd you even have a kid to begin with if you're just going to shove them off to be raised by a different person?

dragonlight said:
Lime_ said:

Yeah, welcome to never increasing your skill set and relying on someone, hope you don't get a divorce 10yrs down the road and now you're old and have the same experience as someone fresh out of high school!

Welcome to lack of social interaction, hope that internet treats you as well as you think - if you work you at least get to converse with coworkers, you get to gossip, you get to bond; enjoy the company of your own annoying children

Still have to wake up early, I mean, the kids have to be gotten ready for school, they need a lunch made, they need to be picked up afterwards - oh, one isn't in school? Well then he/she needs constant attention throughout the day. .. don't even mention or google colic, wouldn't wish that on anyone

Then the easy stuff, laundry/dishes/gotta go shopping/what's for dinner?/Do I know how to cook?

I mean I guess I'd agree, once all your kids are finally in school then it might be a bit easier - just gotta drop them off, enjoy 6hrs of peace and then pick them up. . but before they're in school? There's no way you could consider that a day off in a long shot - if so, you're doing your 'days off' wrong

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Jun 23, 2014 7:23 PM
Jul 2018
Appreciate your response Cotton Rabbit. Thanks for the insight.
Jun 23, 2014 7:35 PM

May 2013
Bread winner, I'm not really great with kids. Plus, I don't want my wife working to feed us, my pride wouldn't allow it.
Jun 23, 2014 7:51 PM

Apr 2014
Bread winner, i don't even like kids. But seriously i'd feel like a total dirt bag if i stayed at home jackin it while my spouse worked to put food on the table, at the very least i'd have to sell drugs from the house so i can contribute something.
Jun 23, 2014 7:56 PM

Jul 2011
If I get married, I'd like us both to be bread-winners and contribute to the home somewhat equally. Though if my partner wants to stay-home, I won't mind, but I don't know why anyone would want such a grueling task.
Jun 23, 2014 7:59 PM

Mar 2014
Red_Keys said:
If I could choose?

Staying the fuck home, hell yes. Fuck working all my damn life.

But I doubt life will be so kind as to give me that choice..

What if you had to stay home all the time cuzyou were quadruplegic?

Now life doesn't seem so unkind for allowing you to work, does it

#StandTallYuiNyan!

OMG I am so mentally drunk right now.

Anyway, I wanna work, earn my keep
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jun 23, 2014 8:23 PM

Jan 2011
Lime_ said:
ReaperCreeper said:

What? Couldn't you say that about anything. . .

Would it be worth the trade? So you're going to get a job and put your child in daycare instead (Can you make enough money that it covers the cost and justifies putting your child in daycare?) It's not cheap...

and then would you want to? So what, you make a little extra money now, but who's even raising your child? You don't even see them! Do you want to hear about his/her first steps from someone else? Their first words to be someone elses name? Their drawings to be of someone elses house? Why'd you even have a kid to begin with if you're just going to shove them off to be raised by a different person?

They could do what my parents did, one parent works day and the other night, and before there's an argument of the parents never seeing each other brought up I'll say that they still have time to see each other when one's home before the other has to go, which is about 3 hours, and there's also days off. Besides it's not exactly different to them only being able to spend time together a couple hours before sleep after a long day at the office and a long day of dealing with the kiddos.
Jun 23, 2014 8:29 PM
Oct 2008
To answer the actual question by the OP, obviously I am the stay at home parent. We were fortunate to be able to make that choice as were able to live on one wage if we cut away the luxuries and non-necessities. This was a personal decision not to have our kids raised by someone else and one we haven't regretted (despite my whining above :D). The youngest is in school soon and I am looking forward to going back to work so I can pay someone else to clean my house (I really loathe cleaning) and have a few more luxuries.

Financially, it doesn't always make sense to work. On the minimum wage in Australia, there is about $3.50-$4.50 an hour left over after childcare costs are paid for one child. It is actually often cheaper or the extra income is simply not worth it for both parents to work. Working alternate shifts so there is always one person home is rough on a marriage; you don't get much quality time together as the one finishing work is tired, the kids are around etc. I suppose it depends on the shift hours though and if you got weekends off etc. There is no perfect ideal solution as every arrangement has its perks and problems. I guess you just have to choose what works best for your own circumstances.
CottonrabbitJun 23, 2014 8:56 PM
Jun 23, 2014 8:32 PM

Nov 2012
Depends on the Job.
If I could go out and be a Game Tester and just play video games all day, and get payed a shit ton of money doing it. Then fuck yeah Id be the money maker.

If its some job I dont really enjoy and doing just to support myself,
then nah Ill stay at home and just enjoy myself.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Jun 23, 2014 9:15 PM

May 2009
Bread winner because I'm not great with kids. Ideally, my husband would be a stay-at-home dad and I'd work. I doubt that's going to be possible though. Probably both of us will work.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 8 hours ago

26 by aikaflip »»
53 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

317 by bevarnow »»
55 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

15 by IpreferEcchi »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

40 by aikaflip »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.