Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 12, 2014 11:23 PM

Feb 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------

uuuuughhh right in the gut.

"happy end" indeed, although it took some pain getting there. I very much liked the ending.

Mod Edit: Created proper thread for chapter discussion
sarroushJun 13, 2014 8:01 AM
Jun 14, 2014 4:58 PM

Oct 2013
it was nice, very good manga

10/10
Jun 23, 2014 8:12 AM

Sep 2012
Welp, the ending was certainly stupid and underwhelming, though the rest of the manga was great.

8/10
Jul 5, 2014 7:59 PM

Feb 2012
Asano you are going to kill me one day with the sheer impact of your works. Sex is but a complicated issue and the subject of sex with high schoolers is of even more turbulence, ambiguity, and loss: and Asano manages to capture the scope of this seamlessly. I'd have to say this manga personally resonated with me just as equally as Punpun did, and I'll definitely look back on this manga with fondness.

One particularly interesting conflict though, is Isobe's clashes with his inner thoughts and society. He's a coward. He's quite frankly unmotivated to do most things; a dormant contributor to society. One could even say his personality is so banal that he's easily replaceable. However, I think Asano did an exceptional job to implicitly express his inner frustrations with silent, still scenes that conveyed his helplessness, and his dead brother's impact on him. Sato had sex with him because of his passive personality, and loved him for being like so as well. And why is that so? because he was there for her, no other essential reasons really.

Litrydow said:
Welp, the ending was certainly stupid and underwhelming, though the rest of the manga was great.

8/10

The ending was certainly contentious in how self-sacrificing Isobe was depicted to be, and how the relationship ended up being. However, more than anything, it was overwhelming and even heroic in how much effort Isobe was willing to put in to incite Sato's gradual change. I think Asano meant to imply that Isobe was also deeply in love with Sato, and if they had gotten together, Isobe saw no future for themselves (considering their casual sex relationship as well). So he wanted for Sato to move on, and a hard pill to swallow it was for him too.

A thing I love about Asano is how willingly he is to challenge the fairy-tale romanticization of love, relationships, and sex. Instead of an ultimate resolve, he greets us with pessimistic, bittersweet, and profound lessons that deal with human issues within a modern-day context. In this case, it's that casual sex is a selfish excuse for both partners, and perhaps even a small commitment from the start is the difference between saving the relationship or not.

A bittersweet lesson from Asano is the best. Always eager for more.
Jul 18, 2014 2:52 PM

Aug 2012
Stellio said:

One particularly interesting conflict though, is Isobe's clashes with his inner thoughts and society. He's a coward. He's quite frankly unmotivated to do most things; a dormant contributor to society. One could even say his personality is so banal that he's easily replaceable. However, I think Asano did an exceptional job to implicitly express his inner frustrations with silent, still scenes that conveyed his helplessness, and his dead brother's impact on him. Sato had sex with him because of his passive personality, and loved him for being like so as well. And why is that so? because he was there for her, no other essential reasons really.

Well said. I thoroughly enjoyed A Girl By The Sea, the portrayal of teenage relationships was executed well, and many of the panels were beautifully drawn.

Hopefully Isobe can fully recover from what he's been through and that it isn't a happy ending just for certain characters, but I guess we'll never know.
Aug 25, 2014 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
Short but great story. It's really sad - I wanted Koume and Isobe to end up with each other, but by not making them end up with each other, the author managed to make the story realistic in this way. I'm glad that Koume has finally found someone she thinks she loves, and she finally gives her kiss. I wish I knew what happened to Isobe - Was the couple who kissed when Koume was halfway talking to Kashima at the end Isobe and his new love? Difficult to tell.
ClawViperAug 25, 2014 11:30 PM
Aug 26, 2014 3:03 AM
Aug 2014
ClawViper7 said:
Short but great story. It's really sad - I wanted Koume and Isobe to end up with each other, but by not making them end up with each other, the author managed to make the story realistic in this way. I'm glad that Koume has finally found someone she thinks she loves, and she finally gives her kiss. I wish I knew what happened to Isobe - Was the couple who kissed when Koume was halfway talking to Kashima at the end Isobe and his new love? Difficult to tell.

I was wondering the same thing. I think it was her imagination showing her and Isobe kissing. It was really sad to see them apart especially because we had to wait for so long to find out what happened. I really hope there is a sequel where they end up together.
Still I was impressed with this manga and I will keep reading it from time to time...
Oct 26, 2014 2:04 PM

Apr 2014
10/10

i actually cried, this was a really realistic manga. i might actually reread it later
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 4, 2014 11:03 PM

Jul 2010
Can someone explain what happens from Ch.13-ending? My shoujo-filled brain can't comprehend.
It's been a while...
Nov 7, 2014 9:00 PM

Oct 2013
RMI said:
Can someone explain what happens from Ch.13-ending? My shoujo-filled brain can't comprehend.
Isobe and Satou are both unable to express their feelings properly, they are not on the same page, they want to act like adults and sometimes end up doing stupid things. Isobe's issues regarding his dead brother make him do the shit he does.

They don't develop a proper connection and the ending is kind of a downer.

It was pretty stright.forward
Nov 22, 2014 6:31 PM
Jul 2018
not bad for only 20 chpts. i kind of had higher expectations though considering Oyasumi Punpun was a pure work of art
Feb 5, 2015 6:33 AM

Jan 2014
The conclusion to this manga, to me, was a bit if'y but other than that it was a good read.
Apr 8, 2015 1:43 PM

Sep 2013
Stellio said:
A thing I love about Asano is how willingly he is to challenge the fairy-tale romanticization of love, relationships, and sex. Instead of an ultimate resolve, he greets us with pessimistic, bittersweet, and profound lessons that deal with human issues within a modern-day context. In this case, it's that casual sex is a selfish excuse for both partners, and perhaps even a small commitment from the start is the difference between saving the relationship or not.

Exactly this, I wouldn't have wanted the ending to be any other way - even if it hurts right now.

A great manga as I expected from the master. Asano yet again managed to portray human relations in a truly gritty, yet realistic and most importantly extremely relatable manner.

8/10
cupcApr 8, 2015 1:53 PM
Apr 11, 2015 9:09 AM

Dec 2012
Was a good read. Though I remember liking it more, before I re-read the 10 chapters, and finished the rest. 7/10
Apr 20, 2015 10:58 AM

Feb 2014
This was a good manga, and I love Asano in general, but holy shit, whoever did the scanlations for the last 6 chapters did a fucking terrible job. The translation was so stilted and unnatural. Kinda ruined the last few chapters for me, I had to go back and reword the dialogue in my head to make it sound nicer.

is there a better translation? I read this on mangafox.
Jun 9, 2015 11:42 PM

May 2013
I felt it so real at the end that this is going to hurt for a few days, shit.
Jun 15, 2015 10:46 AM

Dec 2014
The ending was beautiful. And chances are that the couple Koume saw by the sea was Isobe and his new love.
Jul 9, 2015 8:32 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah, I felt the ending was a little bit rushed but nonetheless affecting. I did miss not seeing Isobe (besides a couple who could arguably be him and his new girlfriend) especially considering how much of a cliffhanger chapter 19 leaves his character in. I still cried tho.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jul 21, 2015 1:26 PM

Jul 2012
Stellio said:
Asano you are going to kill me one day with the sheer impact of your works. Sex is but a complicated issue and the subject of sex with high schoolers is of even more turbulence, ambiguity, and loss: and Asano manages to capture the scope of this seamlessly. I'd have to say this manga personally resonated with me just as equally as Punpun did, and I'll definitely look back on this manga with fondness.

Litrydow said:

8/10

The ending was certainly contentious in how self-sacrificing Isobe was depicted to be, and how the relationship ended up being. However, more than anything, it was overwhelming and even heroic in how much effort Isobe was willing to put in to incite Sato's gradual change. I think Asano meant to imply that Isobe was also deeply in love with Sato, and if they had gotten together, Isobe saw no future for themselves (considering their casual sex relationship as well). So he wanted for Sato to move on, and a hard pill to swallow it was for him too.

quoting this 1000 times

8.5/10 for me, great manga
Jul 24, 2015 1:39 PM

Jun 2013
Asano really likes to create suicidal characters, doesn't he?

No complaint, such a fitting end. Think I'm a fan now.
Jul 26, 2015 12:44 AM

Jan 2013
A fitting ending, not uplifting at all!
8.5/10
I appreciate how the last panel was A Girl by the Sea.
Aug 24, 2015 4:10 AM

Jan 2013
Twas a good read and all, first work I've read from this author actually.

7/10
Oct 23, 2015 10:30 AM
Aug 2015
it's really heartbreaking story but so good in some way. when they confess their feelings each other, it's just so...........*sniff* the ending is so good, it's really a realistic slice-of-life story you'd expect.
Oct 25, 2015 6:10 PM
Oct 2015
koume is such a bitch if she didnt start this game of sexuel realitionship if only she gve him a chance ,, they would have been together but after all isobe changed and it was too latefor koume to confess her love ,, i think she stated to love in the begging of their sexuel realitionship but she noticed it in the end

i dont know if isobe's feelings changed or whatever why he rejected her ,, she deserved it, it was the best choice for him ,, there is no futur all what koume have done to him she was treating him like a useless animal and in the end she came to love but it was too late he already gave up on her and when he did she loved ,, girls are weird

i just finished the manga and i feel tired and confused by this ending
i think honetsly its stupide ending i wanted isobe and koume to meet after their goodbye and see their reactions but i got disapointed, really..
i dont know what is the meaning of this end ,, each ending in any movie ir anime or mange they must have a meaning but i dont know what's with this ending
Dec 9, 2015 6:28 AM

Apr 2011
adam04 said:
koume is such a bitch if she didnt start this game of sexuel realitionship if only she gve him a chance ,, they would have been together but after all isobe changed and it was too latefor koume to confess her love ,, i think she stated to love in the begging of their sexuel realitionship but she noticed it in the end

i dont know if isobe's feelings changed or whatever why he rejected her ,, she deserved it, it was the best choice for him ,, there is no futur all what koume have done to him she was treating him like a useless animal and in the end she came to love but it was too late he already gave up on her and when he did she loved ,, girls are weird

i just finished the manga and i feel tired and confused by this ending
i think honetsly its stupide ending i wanted isobe and koume to meet after their goodbye and see their reactions but i got disapointed, really..
i dont know what is the meaning of this end ,, each ending in any movie ir anime or mange they must have a meaning but i dont know what's with this ending

I read last chapter two times, and got this. As friend she can always count on him, and the biggest thing on the earth is after all the sea. HAPPY ENDING!
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
Mar 19, 2016 4:52 PM

Jul 2013
I am so mad that there wasn't any mention of Isobe in this final chapter, goddammit, really, I really liked the read but I'm so frustrated.
About Koume, it seemed to me that she ended up more shallow and empty than before, maybe because she lost that one person with that special vibe y'know? I experienced it before and it feels like it, that "I love you too" was merely convenient.

And again, I hated that there wasn't any mention of Isobe here.

8.5/10
May 4, 2016 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
As others have said, the ending was fairly underwhelming. The rest of the manga was a fucking phenomenal ride, good God! I loved it.

High/med eight out of ten.
crestofhonestyMay 4, 2016 12:41 PM
Sep 12, 2016 1:27 AM
May 2016
I have one question in the end Satou and Isobe are together ?? Is Ishobe and the dude name Katsutoshi Otsu the same person i just read the whole manga and i am super confused
Sep 14, 2016 6:31 AM

Nov 2011
That was a tough ride for me. Won't get rid of that feel too soon either. I like to believe that the couple in the last chapter is Isobe with the seagirl (from the found SD-card).

As far as I know this is the first work I read by this author. I will definitely check out the other ones, as I see Oyasumi Punpun mentioned as superior to this.

Filippos_Yeah said:
I have one question in the end Satou and Isobe are together ?? Is Ishobe and the dude name Katsutoshi Otsu the same person i just read the whole manga and i am super confused

No. We don't know anything about Isobe for certain. Koume is together with a new guy, Katsutoshi Otsu.
Feel free to suggest me new series on my profile or through pm, or send me anything else really and let's have a chat
Sep 14, 2016 1:07 PM
May 2016
Well i am definatey going to read more of Inio Asano the next book i am going to buy is Solanin and after that i am going for Oyasumi Punpun for sure . I want to believe to that the kiss scene in the end was Isobe and the Sea girl but we dont know what happend to him when the police talked to him . I look forward chatting with people with the same taste on manga as me because i dont know anyone on my hometown , so i believe we will have a good chat .
Oct 4, 2016 1:15 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This ending is a bit abrupt. I'm missing some closure for Isobe. I'm still not buying his transformation after we've seen how messed up he was.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 26, 2016 2:11 AM
Jan 2009
Farabeuf said:
This ending is a bit abrupt. I'm missing some closure for Isobe. I'm still not buying his transformation after we've seen how messed up he was.

He said he was going to die, and he did die, mentally. He had a psychotic breakdown after his violent outburst. His old personality died, and he's left as a hollow shell. Koume followed suit on the pier, dying inside at his final rejection, emerging a shallow shadow of her former self.

Isobe and Kouma were never on the same page at the same time, it just didn't work out, and the dissonance they each experienced at different times left them empty and emotionally broken; much like it happens to real people who suffer traumatic heartbreak or tragic unrequited love. They would never be the same.
Oct 26, 2016 10:48 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
redwarlock said:
Farabeuf said:

He said he was going to die, and he did die, mentally. He had a psychotic breakdown after his violent outburst. His old personality died, and he's left as a hollow shell. Koume followed suit on the pier, dying inside at his final rejection, emerging a shallow shadow of her former self.

Isobe and Kouma were never on the same page at the same time, it just didn't work out, and the dissonance they each experienced at different times left them empty and emotionally broken; much like it happens to real people who suffer traumatic heartbreak or tragic unrequited love. They would never be the same.

Makes sense and I agree with your insights. I just wish it could have been shown over a longer period of time in the story and not left up to the last chapters like that.

BTW, you've been in MAL for seven years and only post now to give me some clarity? I'm honored, LOL.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 6, 2016 9:22 PM

Feb 2012
I don't think there was anything in this manga that I actually liked. It's so jaded that it destroys what good things there were in it. It's no surprise that this manga doesn't have a happy ending because there is no happiness in it. There is no love, goodness or anything redeeming at all. All there was was sex and selfishness.
Nov 18, 2016 6:15 AM
Apr 2014
Just finished the book. It's my first time reading Inio Asano and I'm amazed, it's very diffirent from what I usually read. It's realistic and you kinda don't expect what's next, at least that is the impresion I was given.

The characters aren't mainstream and their development throughout the story at least for me was satisfying. But...
I seem to not understand something. In the end when Koume meets Kashima she tells him she is looking for a SD card she lost there and then says she found it "The sea!!". I guess the sea symbolizes something? What is it? And how did she suddenly find it? Did Kashima helped her in a way without realising he did?
Feb 22, 2017 6:40 PM

Mar 2008
The sex scenes were nice, but the lack of Sato and Isobe getting together was pretty disappointing. Not to mention its very unclear what happens to Isobe. Does he get off from the cops and is living on his own somewhere, does he get locked up, does he revert and eventually kill himself?
Mar 13, 2017 1:13 AM

May 2016
This is the craziest fucking manga I've ever read. Not because it is outlandish or ridiculous, but because it isn't. The thoughts that cross the characters' mind and the situations they face are, bizarrely, relatable even to non-fucked up people. This manga left me deeply disturbed and frustrated, just as it was supposed to.

The plot had some minor flaws but was very solid overall. As most of you, I disliked the ending of Isobe's arc - that came out of nowhere and is probably the least realistic thing in this story. Sato's ending was better - it was still somehow lazy but it was interesting to know that in the end she stayed a shallow, stupid person. But aren't we all?

This is an excellent manga that will stay with me for a while. Solid 8/10.
Lease_of_LifeMar 13, 2017 4:31 PM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Mar 26, 2017 11:40 PM
Mar 2017
I read the manga yesterday, and i can say i loved it. But there is one thing i am trying to understand. The main line of the manga is : “In town, there's a tiny beach that's never busy, not even in the summer.

I used to like walking there, looking for stuff.

Like old fireworks.

Or kelp.

A hat knocked off someone's head by the wind.

You basically never find what you were expecting to.

And maybe you weren't expecting to find anything right from the start...”

What does the author means by that ? . And also in the end koume says that she finally found what she was looking for....the sea? pls help xd :)
Mar 27, 2017 10:14 PM

May 2016
Odysseas said:
I read the manga yesterday, and i can say i loved it. But there is one thing i am trying to understand. The main line of the manga is : “In town, there's a tiny beach that's never busy, not even in the summer.

I used to like walking there, looking for stuff.

Like old fireworks.

Or kelp.

A hat knocked off someone's head by the wind.

You basically never find what you were expecting to.

And maybe you weren't expecting to find anything right from the start...”

What does the author means by that ? . And also in the end koume says that she finally found what she was looking for....the sea? pls help xd :)

The story is about numbness - the oppressive, maddening numbness that stems from self-loathing - and a desperate (although honest) attempt at feeling something. What are they looking for in their relationship? Is it love? Companionship? Some semblance of control? Pleasure? Is Sato trying to take revenge on Misaki, somehow? If Isobe truly longs for a relationship with Sato, why does he lash out when she deletes the other girl's pictures off his computer?

Whatever it was they were looking for, they didn't find it. Perhaps they never expected to find it in the first place. Whatever, life goes on.

EDIT: By "life goes on" I don't mean to say that this manga had some kind of bittersweet ending. It didn't. It was 100%, irredeemably sad, and could have made me feel true catharsis if it wasn't so sloppily executed.
Lease_of_LifeMar 28, 2017 5:18 AM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Jul 15, 2017 9:29 AM
Jul 2017
I'm so fuckin emo.. why did it have it have to end like that!? I expected it to be a sad journey in the first few chapters, what with platonic-relation-shit, the characters are self centered losers and pretentious perverts, tragedy would justify it. Towards the last two chap though, it's amazing to see how turn of events could change easily, the characters are developing that's why the ending fcked me up, why did you have to giveme false hope Isobe!? And why the hell did you lie to Koume! That montage of them crying in the last chaps fucking hurts.. It sucks because it feels like they were so close to break free from their own insecurities, until reality punch them in the face..
Aug 15, 2017 6:27 AM
Oct 2012
Does anyone have an answer to this?
I don't know if I'm looking too much into this but I believe that Isobe might have been the cause of his brothers suicide. I feel like no one's really touched this issue because it seems really subtle.
But in Chapter 19 Isobe is stopped by two police officers, he was said to have been seen at the video club on September 10th, it doesn't specify why he was stopped, but that date is 5 days before his birthday. Also the 5 days before his brother committed suicide.
Also in his letter to the forum fan in Chapter 12 he mentions that "The police simply wrote off his death as an accident."
Also on the last page of Chapter 19 Isobe agrees to go with the police and his character looks a lot more like his rugged depressed self, rather then the happier version of himself at the start of the chapter.
Does anyone know what the police might have wanted to ask Isobe about? Or why he would have been at the video shop?
To me it seems like it would have had something to do with his brother, he seems to have a lot of guilt from his brothers death. Maybe he was really fucked up before his brothers death, and wanted him to die?
Aug 29, 2017 4:50 PM
Apr 2015
jacinta said:
Does anyone have an answer to this?
I don't know if I'm looking too much into this but I believe that Isobe might have been the cause of his brothers suicide. I feel like no one's really touched this issue because it seems really subtle.
But in Chapter 19 Isobe is stopped by two police officers, he was said to have been seen at the video club on September 10th, it doesn't specify why he was stopped, but that date is 5 days before his birthday. Also the 5 days before his brother committed suicide.
Also in his letter to the forum fan in Chapter 12 he mentions that "The police simply wrote off his death as an accident."
Also on the last page of Chapter 19 Isobe agrees to go with the police and his character looks a lot more like his rugged depressed self, rather then the happier version of himself at the start of the chapter.
Does anyone know what the police might have wanted to ask Isobe about? Or why he would have been at the video shop?
To me it seems like it would have had something to do with his brother, he seems to have a lot of guilt from his brothers death. Maybe he was really fucked up before his brothers death, and wanted him to die?

The Police wanted to talk to him about the assault on Misaki and his friend
Nov 3, 2017 6:19 AM

Jun 2009
Ummm...okay....
Nov 17, 2017 5:30 PM

Feb 2010
Emo kid is sad and f***s himself with a toy named "A**l Boy" eats his own c*m and his f***buddy's s**t. Dumb thot doens't understand what she wants and after emo boy does everything I listed before, she is sad that he doesn't also kill himself for her.

I really wanted both of them to die horribly by the end, but I guess

The only redeeming quality for this manga is Asano's incredible artwork,
, and
Dec 12, 2017 3:19 PM
Dec 2017
Just finished reading this manga and wow, it was pretty intense. Can't wait to read other works from the author!
It has left me with a lot of questions, and reading your insights really helped me figure out the pieces I was missing. There's just one thing that still keeps bugging me (I think it has not been brough up in this discussion yet, though I'm not 100% sure 'cause I haven't read ALL of the posts, so if someone else already talked about it, I apologise):
what about the lost SD? Satou says she lost her SD on the beach (just like the one Isobe found?), and when she talks to her new boyfriend she says she took pictures of herself and the sea... Doesn't this remind you guys about the girl from the pictures? Doesn't she look a lot like the grown-up Satou? I don't really get what's happening there.
At first I though that it could've been a coincidence that both Satou and that girl lost their SD on the same beach, but this manga doesn't really look like it lets things happen by coincidence. Then I thought that maybe some sort of narrative 'time warp' was occurring, making Isobe find the SD Satou lost years later, and falling in love with her (again). But this still doesn't seem right.
Do you have any idea?
Apr 4, 2018 4:11 PM
Mar 2016
Lease_of_Life said:
This is the craziest fucking manga I've ever read. Not because it is outlandish or ridiculous, but because it isn't. The thoughts that cross the characters' mind and the situations they face are, bizarrely, relatable even to non-fucked up people. This manga left me deeply disturbed and frustrated, just as it was supposed to.

The plot had some minor flaws but was very solid overall. As most of you, I disliked the ending of Isobe's arc - that came out of nowhere and is probably the least realistic thing in this story. Sato's ending was better - it was still somehow lazy but it was interesting to know that in the end she stayed a shallow, stupid person. But aren't we all?

Thanks, I finished the manga some hours ago, and gave it some thought, it felt like way too many loose strings of thought to go through. Yet when I read what you wrote I feel like I grasp a certain part of the manga. It's not even that I wouldn't have been able to come up with that insight, it's more that I feel like your wording comes straight to the point.

Furthermore, my interpretation of the Isobe ending:
While I read the last chapters I was asking myself, why he wouldn't man up and go get her. Like go visit her, like show her that he actually cared. Talk to her about his brother, or the fight in school.
But actually HE WAS THE ONE in dire need of help. He was not the one to go out and change the world, he was the one, who had to rely on someone to ask him "Can we talk about that blog? About your brother? Please don't kill yourself, can I help you?"
Yet nobody did. Koume let the date of his announced suicide basically pass by.
May 17, 2018 2:04 AM

Oct 2015
This was pretty easy to comprehend surprisingly. Underwhelming ending and probably my least liked work of his so far. 6/10
May 24, 2018 6:51 AM
May 2018
EGOIST said:
This was pretty easy to comprehend surprisingly. Underwhelming ending and probably my least liked work of his so far. 6/10

I must agree.

I have some problems with the development of some characters (like one-sided persona which is strange to see in the work of Inio [thinking about Misaki, who is just a jerk]) but it is certainly due to the short duration of this story.
It is also what makes it really impressive for all the topics in it.
Ho and the drawing is wonderful as usual.

Asano Inio, you are a good person <3, Weird, but arent we all ?
Sep 8, 2018 2:34 AM

Apr 2015
The optimist in me wanted to see things work out between them. I didn't feel particularly attached to Isobe and Koume, but their complicated relationship does share similarities with another pairing I'm quite fond of. The idea of two lonely, deeply flawed individuals seeking some form of solace in one another usually gets to me (even if they do end up hurting each other a lot along the way). Especially if there are genuine feelings involved, like what we saw with Koume's confession and letter. Poor girl was damn near hyperventilating after being rejected.

At any rate, it probably wouldn't bother me as much if we got some form of closure on what happened with Isobe. I would have liked to have seen how he fared after making such a heart-breaking decision. That's really my biggest knock against the ending. Overall though, it was a solid series. Not Asano's best by any means, but still well worth checking out.
LoveHaterSep 8, 2018 4:15 AM
Dec 19, 2018 2:23 AM
Dec 2018
Farabeuf said:
redwarlock said:

Makes sense and I agree with your insights. I just wish it could have been shown over a longer period of time in the story and not left up to the last chapters like that.

BTW, you've been in MAL for seven years and only post now to give me some clarity? I'm honored, LOL.

why did the police look for isobe tho????? i'm confused
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umibe no Onnanoko Chapter 11 Discussion

Ale1212 - Apr 23, 2013

9 by angelqie »»
Mar 15, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Umibe no Onnanoko Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

11 by angelqie »»
Mar 15, 10:19 PM

Poll: » Umibe no Onnanoko Chapter 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

7 by -DxP- »»
Dec 10, 2023 5:43 AM

Poll: » Umibe no Onnanoko Chapter 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

6 by UnoPuntoCinco »»
Aug 4, 2023 11:59 AM

Poll: » Umibe no Onna no Ko Chapter 3 Discussion

name_is_MAYO - Aug 20, 2011

12 by UnoPuntoCinco »»
Aug 4, 2023 11:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.