Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2014 9:04 AM

Oct 2013
I'm not religious, I went to the church about a year and a half, but I wasn't really into it. I don't even believe in a god-

So I want to ask y'all my niggas on MAL.

How does it feel to be religious?

Is it funny?

Do you participate in ceremonies, chants,baptisms and the likes?

Is your religion interesting?

Do you believe in a God but aren't religious?

How is it that possible?

Share your experiences and shit.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 9, 2014 9:07 AM

Dec 2012
It's normal.
Jun 9, 2014 9:09 AM
Jan 2014
Ask 10 religious people, and you will get 10 different answers.
Jun 9, 2014 9:10 AM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
It's normal.
so communicative
cabacc2 said:
Ask 10 religious people, and you will get 10 different answers.
i don't know any around here
Jun 9, 2014 9:14 AM

Jan 2011
It's surely better than being atheist.
Jun 9, 2014 9:17 AM

Apr 2014
not sure how it could be funny...
well i do think sometime some religious people are funny and some verses of the bible made me laugth a bit but I have a feeling it wasn't made on purpose...

Sep 2010
DeathNyx said:
explain
Mar 2013
UnoPuntoCinco said:
How does it feel to be racist?

and being religious probably feels the same as being atheist
Jun 9, 2014 9:18 AM
Jan 2014
DeathNyx said:
elaborate pls
smells like an incoming Pascal's Wager.
Jun 9, 2014 9:19 AM

Oct 2013
JD2411 said:
UnoPuntoCinco said:
How does it feel to be racist?
Good, is funny, especially when you're not
Jun 9, 2014 9:24 AM

Mar 2013
When I used to be religious, it was awesome. You could pray whenever you felt in danger or in trouble and instantly feel better. And KNOWING (not thinking, but 100% believing) that you were going to Heaven when you died was incredibly reassuring.
Jun 9, 2014 9:25 AM

Oct 2013
Jenguin said:
When I used to be religious, it was awesome. You could pray whenever you felt in danger or in trouble and instantly feel better. And KNOWING (not thinking, but 100% believing) that you were going to Heaven when you died was incredibly reassuring.
Finally a fucking decent answer, thank you
Jun 9, 2014 9:27 AM

Feb 2013
Ignorant because they are just lying to themselves in believing that stuff.
Jun 9, 2014 9:31 AM

Mar 2014
Being religious was the best thing that ever happened to me. Yeah, even if there was a bit of a clash in terms of what the church said was right and what I thought was right, but that was the price I just had to pay. There is so much comfort in knowing that no matter what tragedy occured, such as being violently murdered, they'll be at peace with God. Death being a beginning, rather than an end, meant so much to me.

Having someone watching over you, while slightly creepy, meant that you were never truly alone. Even if I had no friends, I at least had Jesus.

Now I have no one. Someone who is violently murdered will never know peace. Death is an absolute end.

I never should have questioned my faith. If nothing is what awaits us, then it's better to just believe, because you go through life, and death, reassured that a good outcome awaits you. Even if you are just oblitered into nonexistence, you won't be around to notice.
Jun 9, 2014 9:32 AM

Apr 2014
being athiest lets you see the beauty of the world around you, and gives you more reason to live life to the fullest.

Shame I'm stuck here on MAL though lol :
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jul 2018
It's great

Nov 2012
I don't know, but I envy people who can convince themselves to be religious. Things would be so much simpler that way.
Jun 9, 2014 9:44 AM

Jan 2013
Because Aliens.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 9, 2014 9:45 AM

Aug 2013
I'm baptized twice, I've been to Christian camp and gone to Christian school in order to get my confirmation. I've even done shit like singing in church.

I'm not even religious, I've never been. I only did it for money and the experience. It was worth it.
MoogJun 9, 2014 9:48 AM
Jun 9, 2014 9:47 AM

Jan 2014
I have never been religious, not even when I was little.
If I have to tell you the truth, I was scared by religion, and by the figure of God and all of his mates.
I always felt like watched at everything I was doing, I was constantly in the thought of if everything I was doing was the right thing or wrong, and the image of a guy up in the heavens with a paper writing my judgement was creepy as hell.

But as I grew older I started wondering if they were bullshit or not, and then I decided that I would not follow what others were following.
Let them believe at what they want, but I'm done.

But I envy in some way the true believers, surely they have a big smile on their face because the thought of being priced of their life afterwards is reassuring, but to me it's an illusion.
But if I have to tell who's happy between us, I can't win.
Jun 9, 2014 9:51 AM

Mar 2014
I used to go to church every weekend and pray in the morning when I woke up and at night before I went to bed. In a way, it gave me confidence that I could do certain things because I thought I was being watched over. It was also great to think that there was something awaiting me after death.

Being religious also meant that I was exposed to many voluntary groups that helped the poor and elderly people in my community. Church activities weren't boring. As a child it felt as though going to Church was a necessity and I actually used to feel bad if I was unable to attend every weekend. So yes, it was interesting for a while.

Then I started believing in a God but didn't follow a religion. Then I thought that was pointless and stopped believing altogether.
Jun 9, 2014 9:55 AM

Apr 2014
LadyRenly said:

I never should have questioned my faith. If nothing is what awaits us, then it's better to just believe, because you go through life, and death, reassured that a good outcome awaits you. Even if you are just oblitered into nonexistence, you won't be around to notice.

Hum is that so ?...To me the idea that there is nothing after death make me feel better . The idea that there is "something" make me more anxious .

I know the idea of hell and similar things is a debate in the christian community , but I remember seeing really religious person beeing very sad because they were thinking about all those atheist who "refuse to choose jesus" and may go in hell .
Jun 9, 2014 9:56 AM

Dec 2013
Basically in this thread we have learned two things ''Ignorance is bliss'' and if you are religious, stay that way

When i was religious, i really had no worries, life was good, now reality feels much harsher...
MrHawkyJun 9, 2014 10:10 AM
Jun 9, 2014 10:09 AM

May 2014
LadyRenly said:
Being religious was the best thing that ever happened to me. Yeah, even if there was a bit of a clash in terms of what the church said was right and what I thought was right, but that was the price I just had to pay. There is so much comfort in knowing that no matter what tragedy occured, such as being violently murdered, they'll be at peace with God. Death being a beginning, rather than an end, meant so much to me.

Having someone watching over you, while slightly creepy, meant that you were never truly alone. Even if I had no friends, I at least had Jesus.

Now I have no one. Someone who is violently murdered will never know peace. Death is an absolute end.

Jun 9, 2014 10:13 AM

Aug 2013
LadyRenly said:

I never should have questioned my faith. If nothing is what awaits us, then it's better to just believe, because you go through life, and death, reassured that a good outcome awaits you. Even if you are just obliterated into nonexistence, you won't be around to notice.

Yeah but look at it this way, when you're religious there is a chance you will go to hell to be in eternal pain and suffering and looking at religion almost everything sends you to hell so chances are you would have been going down anyway. At least in knowing nothing awaits you, its just death no more suffering just none existence, you won't feel it you won't be there anymore.

Embrace meaninglessness and the inevitability of destruction. Wouldn't you rather die not lying to yourself just to make yourself feel better? a lie is still a lie even if it makes things better for you. In the end you still go to destruction, revel in your pointlessness.
Jun 9, 2014 10:50 AM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
Yeah but look at it this way, when you're religious there is a chance you will go to hell to be in eternal pain and suffering and looking at religion almost everything sends you to hell
Before talking shit about other people's religions, what about learning about it in first place? I just find it extremely ridiculous and pathetic when an atheist needs to spit lies around in order to damage a religion's reputation.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
At least in knowing nothing awaits you, its just death no more suffering just none existence, you won't feel it you won't be there anymore.
So basically, you feel like it will be better if your existence simply ends. Everything will be over for you, you will never feel anything anymore... Can you even think at that or imagine it? It is just impossible to imagine that. I'd say that the "death that erases your existence" is terrible. It is definitely not as bad as hell, but it is also terrible.

I expected more from you, Iburasa. I never thought you were the kind of person that goes around damaging other religion's reputation with lies and bullshit.
Jun 9, 2014 10:55 AM

Aug 2013
Sclequer said:
]So basically, you feel like it will be better if your existence simply ends. Everything will be over for you, you will never feel anything anymore... Can you even think at that or imagine it? It is just impossible to imagine that. I'd say that the "death that erases your existence" is terrible. It is definitely not as bad as hell, but it is also terrible.

I expected more from you, Iburasa. I never thought you were the kind of person that goes around damaging other religion's reputation with lies and bullshit.

I'll take it over going to a hell for eternity as a human I am flawed, full of sin and evil intent. Is it even possible for a person to go to just one level of hell? we belong in all of em. I fail to see how im bad mouthing Christianity all Ive said is true. Or is Christianity going to denounce the idea that if you are not totally good you go to burn in hell?
Jun 9, 2014 11:04 AM

May 2012
I used to force myself to believe in God because I was afraid of death. But then I realized, there could be no God in a universe like this, so cold and uncaring. When, I became an athiest, I could finally live my life without fear of burning in hell. Lack of religion is liberating, and it makes you appreciate the life you have so much more. I don't understand how people lie to themselves all because a fear of death. Everything has to die, that is just the natural order of things. We can't escape it, no matter how many Yahwehs Jesus's, Allah's we make to make ourselves feel better.
Jun 9, 2014 11:05 AM

Sep 2012
No to all of those questions as I'm a non-denominational Christian and follow my own beliefs, however the Christian sub-religion I was raised in (Baptist) was admittedly not all that bad. No "in your face" shit, nothing unreasonable was really preached, and it wasn't cringe worthy like you'd expect a religion gathering to be. It was just normal people doing normal stuff most of the time.

Like, if you ever run into that person who's nice and respects your views even though they are a Christian, I'd be inclined to think they were a Baptist.

Masked_Mantis said:
being athiest lets you see the beauty of the world around you, and gives you more reason to live life to the fullest.
?

Being an athiest literally has nothing to do with that at all.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 9, 2014 11:07 AM

Jan 2014
It is great. It gives a really unique view of our world and our place in it. I go to most of the events (just had a baptism service on Sunday), and those could be interesting. It depends on your church make up really, because I've been to many boring churches with majority of the folks being old people.

It would be so much simpler to take the view of an atheist, but it is clear to me that the world is much more complicated than that to be satisfied with that simple life. I'd say I envy it, but I find more joy in the life I already live.

Edit: And it can be downright hilarious sometimes. I kinda feel sorry for those who are on the far end of things though, with the view that all pleasure is evil and you'd go to hell for cracking a smile. How could one live like that?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 9, 2014 11:08 AM

Aug 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
Sclequer said:
]So basically, you feel like it will be better if your existence simply ends. Everything will be over for you, you will never feel anything anymore... Can you even think at that or imagine it? It is just impossible to imagine that. I'd say that the "death that erases your existence" is terrible. It is definitely not as bad as hell, but it is also terrible.

I'll take it over going to a hell for eternity as a human I am flawed, full of sin and evil intent. Is it even possible for a person to go to just one level of hell? we belong in all of em. I fail to see how im bad mouthing Christianity all Ive said is true. Or is Christianity going to denounce the idea that if you are not totally good you go to burn in hell?
It is true that if you commit sins and have evil intent you go to hell, and that all the humans commit sins and have evil intent, but the biggest aspect of Christian is that God is merciful and forgives you for your sins, and he sacrificed Jesus (the perfect sacrifice) to save every human from hell, given that that human WANTS forgiveness and mercy.

Unlike popular belief, being religious is not about being perfect or never having any financial problems/health problems. Being religious (Christian) is being in peace. You are happy with what you have. You don't need to worry about justice because God is justice. You end up making choices that will be healthy for you. As example: As a Christian you shouldn't hurt your own body because your body is God's sanctuary (figuratively), which means that you shouldn't smoke, use drugs, get drunk or get overweight. It is obvious that no one is perfect and that many Christians always end up committing one of those things (especially the overweight one), but a Christian usually TRIES to avoid them. What I mean is, you are encouraged to do the right thing. The Bible also teaches you to be peaceful with the others, love your closest one as much as you love yourself (the Golden Rule), etc etc.

And of course, the biggest aspect of being religious (Christian in my case) is having faith in God. You know that no matter what happens, God is in the control of everything. No matter how big the tragedy is, you must simply trust God, because Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (And again remember the symbolism and figurative language, that passage is NOT saying that everything will be good to Christians and bad for atheists, it is simply saying that God is in the control and that even if something really bad happens in your life, most times it is something beneficial for you or someone else but you simply don't realize it, I could go on and explain more about this but the thread is not about Romans 8:28 lel)
lupadimJun 9, 2014 11:13 AM
Jun 9, 2014 11:13 AM

Sep 2012
Kibura_Iburasa said:
Or is Christianity going to denounce the idea that if you are not totally good you go to burn in hell?
Actually I don't believe that's the case at all. The "saving" part just comes from you accepting Him as a savior and what he did for you regardless of how much you sin, because we all sin like motherfuckers regardless of how religious we are.

..and this is Lupadim's argument so I'm gonna shut up now before I get developed.
I tease

RedRoseFring said:

Edit: And it can be downright hilarious sometimes. I kinda feel sorry for those who are on the far end of things though, with the view that all pleasure is evil and you'd go to hell for cracking a smile. How could one live like that?
bc religion is srs bidns
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jun 9, 2014 11:22 AM

Jan 2014
Korrvo said:

bc religion is srs bidns[/quote]

And teknology is da devils magik (and animes as well).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jun 9, 2014 11:22 AM

Apr 2014
Korrvo said:

Masked_Mantis said:
?

Its just a counter argument to the many religious ones I've encountered. Do I care that I don't believe there's an afterlife? No I don't, so I have reason to make the most of it while I can rather then follow scripture and worrying. If religion does the opposite and gives you comfort then good for you. Why religious people always feel sorry for the athiests is pretty funny that's all.

As for the beauty of the world I mean evolution and natural selection taking place. Though I guess there are some religious scientists that would still believe these.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Jun 9, 2014 11:30 AM

Sep 2012
RedRoseFring said:

And teknology is da devils magik (and animes as well).
iPhone? More like iSin, you filthy religious casuals.

/s

Masked_Mantis said:
Its just a counter argument to the many religious ones I've encountered. Do I care that I don't believe there's an afterlife? No I don't, so I have reason to make the most of it while I can rather then follow scripture and worrying. If religion does the opposite and gives you comfort then good for you. Why religious people always feel sorry for the athiests is pretty funny that's all.

As for the beauty of the world I mean evolution and natural selection taking place. Though I guess there are some religious scientists that would still believe these.
The way you worded it implied you didn't think religious people could, but okay I see your point.
Jun 9, 2014 11:31 AM

Aug 2012
Masked_Mantis said:
Korrvo said:

?

You know, it is possible to enjoy the life without taking drugs, getting drunk or having sex with prostitutes. And it is also way more healthy, because it doesn't destroys your brain cells, your liver and doesn't gives you STDs.
Jun 9, 2014 11:33 AM

Feb 2014
Being religious is like liking football. (The normal football of course)

here are some nice words about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I&t=12m27s
Jun 9, 2014 11:36 AM

Apr 2014
Sclequer said:
Masked_Mantis said:
You know, it is possible to enjoy the life without taking drugs, getting drunk or having sex with prostitutes. And it is also way more healthy, because it doesn't destroys your brain cells, your liver and doesn't gives you STDs.
That's a lot of assumptions right there. Like korvo said that has nothing to do with athiesm.
Trance said:
Jun 9, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2012
Masked_Mantis said:
Sclequer said:
That's a lot of assumptions right there. Like korvo said that has nothing to do with athiesm.
What can an atheist do to enjoy himself that a theist can't, other than what I mentioned above?
Jun 9, 2014 11:43 AM

Jun 2009
Sclequer said:
Everything will be over for you, you will never feel anything anymore... Can you even think at that or imagine it? It is just impossible to imagine that. I'd say that the "death that erases your existence" is terrible.

It's actually possible to imagine that.

It's just like before you come into existence, before you were born.

For those of you who thinks

"Then I wish I was never born, cuz death is terrifying"

Look at the people next to you, look at your siblings,
The friends you made, the sport you played,
The girl/boy you had a crush on, the dumb things you did in school,
The video games you played, the emotion you experience when watching anime,
The jokes that made you laugh, the hug of a loved one.

... Do you actually prefer to not have them?
Being nothing from start to finish, never existing... Is it actually better?

My answer is fuck no.
I love my grandparents, I love my twin brother, I love my little cousins who are growing up everyday, I love the trip I went on with them, I loved the sport I played and the awards I won, I loved the time I had in school, the dumb things I did with friends I don't even keep in touch with anymore... As well as friends who'll hang out with me even today with just one notification.

If there's a choice between never existing and living once.
I will choose living once. 100 times out of 100.
AirStylesJun 9, 2014 11:47 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2014 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
AirStyles said:

Look at the people next to you, look at your siblings,
The friends you made, the sport you played,
The girl/boy you had a crush on, the dumb things you did in school,
The video games you played, the emotion you experience when watching anime,
The jokes that made you laugh, the hug of a loved one.

Ew how sickly.
Jun 9, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2009
Kibura_Iburasa said:
AirStyles said:

Ew how sickly.

You're just jealous.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2014 11:54 AM

Apr 2014
Sclequer said:
Masked_Mantis said:
What can an atheist do to enjoy himself that a theist can't, other than what I mentioned above?
What? I answered that in korrvos post (sorry I haven't got to grasping multiple quotes yet). I say both can enjoy life, but even on this thread you get religious answers saying athiests must fear death etc. I'm just saying why that's nonsence.

I'm not sure what the whole drugs, alcohol and sex has to do with anything tbh. Like I said that's a load of assumptions based on nothing.
Trance said:
Jun 9, 2014 11:55 AM

Sep 2012
Thiets can enjoy those things too Lupadim. It just depends on what their views are.
Jun 9, 2014 11:55 AM

Aug 2013
AirStyles said:

You're just jealous.

Nah I got my fill of such things when I was a child and kids shows used to have moral messages at the end.
Jun 9, 2014 11:56 AM

Jan 2014
AirStyles said:

Unfortunately, some people never get to make that decision.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jun 9, 2014 11:57 AM

Jun 2009
RedRoseFring said:
AirStyles said:

Yeah, a lot had no choice, literally several hundred millions of our potential siblings inside our daddy's testicles.

Think about it, the chance of you being born is even more rare than winning 10 lotto in a row.

EDIT: second thought, did I misinterpret the point you were trying to make?
Jun 9, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2014
AirStyles said:
RedRoseFring said:

Yeah, a lot had no choice, literally several hundred millions of our potential siblings inside our daddy's testicles.

Think about it, the chance of you being born is even more rare than winning 10 lotto in a row.

AirStyles said:
RedRoseFring said:

Yes.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Jun 9, 2014 12:01 PM

Aug 2012
AirStyles said:
Not at all... Basic math will tell you that the chance of willing 10 lotto in a row is... Argh, I can't express it with numbers because it is so small we could call it impossible.

What you said is so wrong in many points. Accordingly to biology, life starts once the sperm penetrates the ovum, so your "siblings" were never alive in first place.

He was probably talking about abortion
Jun 9, 2014 12:06 PM

Jun 2009
Sclequer said:
AirStyles said:
Not at all... Basic math will tell you that the chance of willing 10 lotto in a row is... Argh, I can't express it with numbers because it is so small we could call it impossible.

What you said is so wrong in many points. Accordingly to biology, life starts once the sperm penetrates the ovum, so your "siblings" were never alive in first place.

He was probably talking about abortion

I pretty much took into account the chances of me ending up in a toilet bowl or tissue paper, but oh wellz.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How do you feel about your digital footprint becoming your digital tombstone?

Shizuna - Yesterday

25 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child?

FruitPunchBaka - Today

17 by Rhae »»
1 hour ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

42 by SwordBreaker36 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts?

Freshell - May 5

40 by JaniSIr »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » banality of evil and milgram experiment

deg - 7 hours ago

16 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.