Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 17, 2014 5:24 AM

Mar 2013
I WANT MY NEW EPISODE OF SIDONIA TRANSLATED, ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
May 17, 2014 6:02 AM
Feb 2012
HorribleSubs isn't a fansub group that actually translates, they just rip finished stream and subs from CrunchyRoll (and from FUNI sometimes).

Real fansubbers usually don't get paid. And nowadays most of the subs are just modified CR subs because there's no reason to force original translation like it was in the past.

Translators at CrunchyRoll, FUNImation do get paid because those are official streaming services aka real jobs.
May 17, 2014 8:24 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Humza_96 said:
Fai said:
Humza_96 said:
ex_necross said:
Visualized said:
Watashi Subs are still at episode 2.
Underwater's delayed.

Welp.

Judging from these guys who watched the raw and understood it (lucky qq), Hoshijiro.. OH NO QQ!!
Gonna edit this after watching. :/

I wonder how many subbers are working on that No Game No Life and Mahouka Koukou garbage?

I'd probably be pretty pissed off if I knew. This community as a whole needs to get its priorities straight :/

No Game No Life is a lot better than this show and so is Mahouko Koukou No Rettousei. Mainly because this show has a lack of atmosphere and everything seems slow. I think Sidonia is one of those shows where you really like it or you really don't.

But in saying that yeah the subbers are slow.

Thank you for making a joke.

Oh wait, you actually believe that generic cliched bullshit like Mahouka(school-life? check. Overpowered gary stu lead? check. incest-y sister? check) is genuinely good?

Ohkay then.

Sidonia is genuinely well-paced with actually deep and complex lore that is not spoonfed to you and it manages to still have the "usual anime stuff" like a school and harems, but WITHOUT making it generic and derivative. The only way to describe Sidonia is fresh.

An elite squad failed to take down the Gauna, yet the main character did it by himself. And you don't see that as an 'over-powered Gary Stu lead'? I'll admit Sidonia is fresh but then again Pupa was also new and 'fresh' yet that's probably the shittest anime to come out this year.

The best way to explain what I mean by lack of atmosphere would be JoJo. Watch the new JoJo: Stardust Crusaders and then watch the older one. Everything seems slow and lifeless in the older one.

I don't really see what's so deep and complex about this. What you define as 'deep' I'd just say that's because we don't know much about the past and what exactly happened to humanity. There's nothing complex about this show it's very straightforward, apart from a talking bear.

It actually oozes atmosphere. It's just the Tsutomu Nihei kind of atmosphere. Slightly eerie, disconcerting and filled with a feeling of foreboding.

I agree with you in that it's not deep. It's actually the most straightforward and simple story Nihei has ever made IMO. But please don't say something like Mahouka is better than this. You come off as a troll instead as someone trying to make a serious argument.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 17, 2014 8:34 AM

Mar 2007
Humza_96 said:

An elite squad failed to take down the Gauna, yet the main character did it by himself. And you don't see that as an 'over-powered Gary Stu lead'? I'll admit Sidonia is fresh but then again Pupa was also new and 'fresh' yet that's probably the shittest anime to come out this year.

Every show has the protagonist succeeding in their first battle against the odds though. Also there definitely is something not right with Nagato, so...

Humza_96 said:
The best way to explain what I mean by lack of atmosphere would be JoJo. Watch the new JoJo: Stardust Crusaders and then watch the older one. Everything seems slow and lifeless in the older one.

I think you're confusing "atmosphere" for colour palette, the Jojo anime barely has what you're calling an atmosphere, the first season barely even has a budget. lol.

Humza_96 said:
I don't really see what's so deep and complex about this. What you define as 'deep' I'd just say that's because we don't know much about the past and what exactly happened to humanity. There's nothing complex about this show it's very straightforward, apart from a talking bear.

It's a survival anime with hard science fiction elements, the fact you know very little like the main characters makes it more engaging to watch because you're on equal footing with them.
May 17, 2014 10:50 AM
Jul 2018
Marzan said:
Humza_96 said:
Fai said:

It actually oozes atmosphere. It's just the Tsutomu Nihei kind of atmosphere. Slightly eerie, disconcerting and filled with a feeling of foreboding.

I agree with you in that it's not deep. It's actually the most straightforward and simple story Nihei has ever made IMO. But please don't say something like Mahouka is better than this. You come off as a troll instead as someone trying to make a serious argument.

Rating is completely subjective, tho the average mass probably indicates if it's worth watching or not, 55% of the people who watch steins;gate consider it a masterpiece whilst there are others who dont perceive it as such. Does it mean FMA (ranked 1 iirc?) is better?

Same could be applied to the comparison of Mahouka and Sidonia. I find both excellent series, but you can't force your point of view to someone. If someone thinks mars of destruction is a masterpiece (for whatever reasons whatsoever), that's his opini-err... problem.
AversaMay 20, 2014 12:26 PM
May 17, 2014 11:06 AM

Jul 2007
ligonis1337 said:
Marzan said:
Humza_96 said:

Rating is completely subjective, tho the average mass probably indicates if it's worth watching or not, 55% of the people who watch steins;gate consider it a masterpiece whilst there are others who dont perceive it as such. Does it mean FMA (ranked 1 iirc?) is better?

Same could be applied to the comparison of Mahouka and Sidonia. I find both excellent series, but you can't force your point of view to someone. If someone thinks mars of destruction is a masterpiece (for whatever reasons whatsoever), that's his opini-err... problem.

Rating is hype, nothing more nothing less.
Quality that diferentiates spoonfed generic kitsch from true worthy works is purely objective.

Just because someone likes the generic nonsense that is Mahouka, does not make it any less bad or any less devoid of any sort of substance or complexity.
AversaMay 20, 2014 12:28 PM
May 17, 2014 11:14 AM

Apr 2013
Mahouka is better than this show? LOL funny. Weird.
May 17, 2014 11:17 AM

Nov 2013
At least Sidonia is not shit enough to be ignored by subbers, as for Mahouka I find it more slowpaced and boring, but as I heard, it will get better;
May 17, 2014 12:18 PM

Oct 2010
You've got to be kidding me. He makes the perfect harem in the perfect atmosphere with spite of jealous girls overflowing like nothing else.... and the next moment his prime waifu gets killed off. I'd be flipping tables if I was Tanikaze. I actually fucking liked Hoshijiro dammit.

I'll agree that No Game No Life might be on the same level as Knights of Sidonia, but Mahouka is drivel in comparison. It introduces nothing innovative and repeatedly plays on the same generic character archetypes - just another emotionally-conflicted chauvinist stomping through the entire show trying to act calm and cool, but unable to repudiate even the basic of coercion by the people around him. These kinds of fundamentally-backwards characters refute the progress that anime is making.

If anyone thinks that "good anime" each season is dictated by what the fs groups choose to subs, then I applaud them for surviving this long without the inability to think for themselves. Surely, at this point in life everyone's had a person or two tell you to "go kill yourself". Being able to survive those death flags must have been some fortune, indeed.

Most FS groups have no idea which anime are good and, like many spineless male leads, get lost in the boobs and butts instead of subbing the ones with substance.
Anime as good as Knight of Sidonia warrants watching raws, even if that means spending an extra few minutes looking up unfamiliar vocabulary words. It's in times like these that knowledge of Japanese really shows its worth.
HowTragicMay 17, 2014 12:26 PM
May 17, 2014 12:22 PM

May 2010
i saw someone post this show lacks atmosphere... get real! this show is dripping with atmosphere!

mahouka is overhyped crap at this point with some pain in the ass/annoying characters like miyuki with her nii-san complex. this is a typical show with an overpowered main male character and people are buzzing like flies around this shit.
May 17, 2014 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
How can anyone who hasn't read the LNs of Mahouka even have a say on this? The first arc which is the most boring is just full of character build-up and infodump with a few action scenes here and there. The fun begins after. You can't judge a book by its cover.

P.S: The fansub groups are doing you a favor, if you don't like it then go translate it yourself. You can't complain when you get something for free.
May 17, 2014 1:02 PM

Nov 2013
ligonis1337 said:
How can anyone who hasn't read the LNs of Mahouka even have a say on this? The first arc which is the most boring is just full of character build-up and infodump with a few action scenes here and there. The fun begins after. You can't judge a book by its cover.

P.S: The fansub groups are doing you a favor, if you don't like it then go translate it yourself. You can't complain when you get something for free.

Why should I read the LN full of spoilers to say my opinion about anime, besides my comments were more on neutral side than negative, you said it yourself about boring arc. I think I still have a right to be depressed about every title translated, except Sidonia, it didn't deserve it. Interesting how would you feel if they ignored your Steins;Gate that way, probably you would go translating it yourself?;D
sadfacelvMay 17, 2014 1:05 PM
May 17, 2014 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
sadfacelv said:
ligonis1337 said:

Why should I read the LN full of spoilers to say my opinion about anime, besides my comments were more on neutral side than negative, you said it yourself about boring arc. I think I still have a right to be depressed about every title translated, except Sidonia, it didn't deserve it. Interesting how would you feel if they ignored your Steins;Gate that way, probably you would go translating it yourself?;D

Don't get me wrong, my previous comment wasn't refering to yours (except the arc bit since you asked). It was targetted to others that thrash other series without even knowing what they're about.

On the contrary everyone has the right to express their opinions, this is democracy we have afterall (or whatever's left of it)

Edit: Unfortunately I don't know Japanese, only phrases so tough luck I would have with that. :D
removed-userMay 17, 2014 1:15 PM
May 17, 2014 1:12 PM
Apr 2014
The Mahokou anime does a terrible job at explanining magic and its universe. It actually uses shorts to explain the shit they left out. The main character is also far closer to being a gary stu than Sidonia's main. Im not sure what point your even trying to make with that. Althogh I think neither really are. Smh at calling Battle Tendency lifeless. You need your JoJo card revoked. @ humza if your not trolling us.
May 17, 2014 1:18 PM

Jul 2007
HowTragic said:

I'll agree that No Game No Life might be on the same level as Knights of Sidonia, but Mahouka is drivel in comparison. It introduces nothing innovative and repeatedly plays on the same generic character archetypes - just another emotionally-conflicted chauvinist stomping through the entire show trying to act calm and cool, but unable to repudiate even the basic of coercion by the people around him. These kinds of fundamentally-backwards characters refute the progress that anime is making.

Every season has that one show that is nothing more but a mish-mash of the most generic anime tropes possible, all glued together with sexism. Mahouka is "that show" of this season.

ligonis1337 said:

You should not have to "read the source material" for the work to be good.Every single LN adaptation gets overhyped by the blind fanbase of that light novel. this is no different and no matter what is in LN, does not change the overall genericness of the anime.

Also no "just bear with it and get through all of this generic sucky shitty bullshit because then there's this one part that is good" is not an argument either.
May 17, 2014 1:23 PM

Nov 2013
I haven't seen this episode yet but came here to see the responses, the votes got me hyped but I never expected to see an argument about NGNL or Mahouka. Dafuq..
May 17, 2014 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
Fai said:
HowTragic said:

Every season has that one show that is nothing more but a mish-mash of the most generic anime tropes possible, all glued together with sexism. Mahouka is "that show" of this season.

ligonis1337 said:

You should not have to "read the source material" for the work to be good.Every single LN adaptation gets overhyped by the blind fanbase of that light novel. this is no different and no matter what is in LN, does not change the overall genericness of the anime.

Also no "just bear with it and get through all of this generic sucky shitty bullshit because then there's this one part that is good" is not an argument either.

You can't judge the series by watching *just* 6 episodes also. I'd accept the hate if it was halfway through or completed but its not even there.

Hmm? Bear with it? I find the show quite enjoyable to say the least. It's an arc made only for character developement. If you want a series with mindless action from start to finish then you picked the wrong series.
May 17, 2014 2:00 PM
Aug 2012
Botato said:
I haven't seen this episode yet but came here to see the responses, the votes got me hyped but I never expected to see an argument about NGNL or Mahouka. Dafuq..

Kids can't praise their favorite shows without insulting the shows they dislike or shows which are popular............MAL's idiocy at it's finest. What else can we expect?

On-topic: Is there any way to request or petition the fansubbers so that they work on this or at least get some interest? Is there no other way or we just have to wait?

May 17, 2014 2:19 PM

Jul 2007
ligonis1337 said:

You can't judge the series by watching *just* 6 episodes also. I'd accept the hate if it was halfway through or completed but its not even there.

Hmm? Bear with it? I find the show quite enjoyable to say the least. It's an arc made only for character developement. If you want a series with mindless action from start to finish then you picked the wrong series.

Giving six episodes to generic bullshit like Mahouka is not "unfair" its being generous, considering the show makes you want to drop it one episode after already. Sticking for 6 is damn commendable feat.

What character development? Mahouka's characters are a bunch of anime cliches doing the cliched generic stuff every generic show has. The fact that the character designs look generic as hell does not help the show either. The gary stu lead haxxes through everything amassing an army of feeble and pointless female characters who each represents an anime stereotype(gotta attract those otaku with diverse selection of waifus). Even the setting (oh yay a magic school...) is the definition of cliched. There's absolutely no hook in that show to pay attention. Absolutely nothing that has not been done better or in the same way in the other half a dozen generic "high budget generic bullshit adaptations" every single year.
AhenshihaelMay 17, 2014 2:23 PM
May 17, 2014 2:36 PM

Nov 2013
I don't even know what Mahouka has to do with this, but guys remember Steins;Gate was shit until around episodes 9-12 or something.
May 17, 2014 2:42 PM

Aug 2012
Humza_96 said:
Mainly because this show has a lack of atmosphere and everything seems slow.

Your troll attempt is bad and you should feel bad.
May 17, 2014 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Humza_96 said:
You should watch the whole anime than judge it, not just 6 episodes. I mean seriously if everyone watched the first few episodes of DBZ they'd say it was shit. It was just Gohan wandering in the woods for the first 2 episodes. The start of OP isn't exactly that great either.

Cliche, generic, cliche, generic. Is that the only way you can describe it? At least give one sentence on why certain parts are cliche and generic. I understand the overpowered main character but seriously what anime doesn't have one? Is nagate not overpowered? But for some reason when he's called OP there's a hidden reason so it all makes perfect sense. But the same logic won't apply to another anime? You can't just pick and choose stuff like that.

Once you watch all 26 episodes than say it's shit/generic/cliche/stereotypical. Talking about generic/cliche- Nagate has an appetite larger than everyone else, that's definitely a new concept that's never been seen before in an anime. Everyone seems to overlook the cliches in Sidonia.

Well said, couldn't have said so better myself. I lost my will to reply to him after repeating the same lines over and over. Also I can sense some negative energy flowing through him, must be the hate.

Botato said:
I don't even know what Mahouka has to do with this, but guys remember Steins;Gate was shit until around episodes 9-12 or something.

My point exactly, although I wouldn't call it shit, just mediocre.
May 17, 2014 3:00 PM

Nov 2013
I guess this season is pretty good if Mahouka is treated as bad example, I find it watchable, and I hope it will have something like plot twists, chalenging action or romance, if I were to name titles which are not worth such instant subbing, I would name winter season's titles like Sonico the animation, Saikin no Imouto and so on; Subbers sure hate CG huh?;
May 17, 2014 3:33 PM

Apr 2011
MAL is full of morons who are incapable of enjoying a show without bashing whatever is popular that season. Pay no mind to Fai, he's a troll with a serious case of projection (bringing up other shows in the middle of a show's thread in order to attract attention, then calling anyone who disagrees with him a 'troll' for daring to contradict him). In the meantime I'll be patiently waiting for this to get subbed, because there are plenty of other anime to watch in the meantime.
May 17, 2014 3:53 PM

Aug 2012
Humza_96 said:
I understand the overpowered main character but seriously what anime doesn't have one? Is nagate not overpowered? But for some reason when he's called OP there's a hidden reason so it all makes perfect sense.

Nagate isn't that overpowered, he just know how to -effectively- fight the Gauna.
Humza_96 said:
Talking about generic/cliche- Nagate has an appetite larger than everyone else, that's definitely a new concept that's never been seen before in an anime.

Remember that our MC is surrounded by Sidonians that can photosynthesize and eat only once a week. He only eats as much as a normal person would eat.
Humza_96 said:
Everyone seems to overlook the cliches in Sidonia.

There is nothing to complain about cliches when they are well executed.

People seriously need to stop complaining about Mahouka / NGNL in this thread. It's disgusting.
May 17, 2014 3:55 PM

Sep 2013
Humza_96 said:
You should watch the whole anime than judge it, not just 6 episodes. I mean seriously if everyone watched the first few episodes of DBZ they'd say it was shit. It was just Gohan wandering in the woods for the first 2 episodes. The start of OP isn't exactly that great either.

Cliche, generic, cliche, generic. Is that the only way you can describe it? At least give one sentence on why certain parts are cliche and generic. I understand the overpowered main character but seriously what anime doesn't have one? Is nagate not overpowered? But for some reason when he's called OP there's a hidden reason so it all makes perfect sense. But the same logic won't apply to another anime? You can't just pick and choose stuff like that.

Once you watch all 26 episodes than say it's shit/generic/cliche/stereotypical. Talking about generic/cliche- Nagate has an appetite larger than everyone else, that's definitely a new concept that's never been seen before in an anime. Everyone seems to overlook the cliches in Sidonia.

This is just cancer on page.

But Sidonia and Mahouka are indeed at whole different levels of originality, and that's what makes Sidonia interesting and Mahouka boring for me.
May 17, 2014 4:55 PM

Oct 2010
Humza_96 said:

Alright then, let me attempt this little "challenge" of yours. After all, the only real distinction between fanboys/haters and connoisseurs /critics of a series is that the latter is able to precisely describe what part was insufficient or appealing. Honestly, I'm also tired of using the world "generic" to describe these types of anime since it provides no contextual and analytical support, but no other single word gets the job done. But here, let me change that.

Mahouka is an uninteresting anime because it tries to create a setting where a plot can thrive based on characters that are unscrupulously "fake", out-of-character, and worthless to the development of the story. Instead of being plot-driven like Sidonia, Mahouka puts the characters in a leisurely-paced school setting where plot is not the immediate focus, and holds no clear aim or goal for the series. The main character (whose name I don't remember, and don't feel like checking so I'll call him GMC) is essentially a clusterfuck of all the great virtues: just, chivalrous, stern, cool, kind, reserved, empathetic, etc; with all the overused cliches for conflict: family problems, low self-esteem, conflicting emotions, traumatic past, inferiority complex, etc. But in doing so, he becomes a "fake" character whose traits conflict with each other, and actions raises the question of who he really is, aka what uniquely defines his character. This mediocre presentation is compounded by the no-direction story holding him to a pedestal, trying to make him seem like the "perfect" character by manipulating our perception. For example, GMC obviously believes in minding his own business and hopes to not draw attention to himself due to his inferiority complex. Yet, in direct contrast to his character and hope, he stops the fight in the first few episode and draws direct attention to himself from the President and Moral Chairwoman, casually oozing his OPness in the process. He does this off unfounded consideration for others so they wouldn't get in trouble, but directly contradicts his own character, which is a stupid and illogical course of action through any way of thinking. This is even more apparent later when he agrees to join the Morals Committee after his dumbass boob of a sister insists for him to join the Student Council, despite knowing well that his brother isn't into that kind of thing and it wasn't allowed. Along the way the pickle-brained VP becomes more food to feed the rampage of this fake clusterfuck, and he himself agrees to join the committee for god knows whatever reason (cough* to greasily show of his superiority). MCs who need to waste valuable animation time to flex his OPness in the face of other characters are worthless MCs. In a desperate attempt to be all those things he has effectively become nothing. This is what generic is, and we see it quite a lot in anime nowadays.

I'm not even going to waste much time on his sister Miyuki. I refuse to believe someone who is labeled as the "Top Freshman Student" is unable to think even meager things through before acting, and holds such an appalling lack of common sense and consideration. I don't think I need to repeat that bro-con and "goody-two-shoe" are very common, very "generic" traits in female characters, but she doesn't even match up to other characters with those traits, who have something more to offer. She's a dumb pair of boobs in the series, doing nothing and having nothing except the position that she was given in the series as the Top Student by the author and producer. Worthless.

In contrast, Nagate doesn't try to fit these all these ideals to be the "perfect" character. Instead he only chooses a couple of them such as sincerity, and being true to his beliefs, but makes fantastic use of them in constructing a useful, dynamic and likable character. Although he is a character with flaw, it's that flaw that makes him an appropriate hero for the series, as we are able to encourage him when he falls, and cheer him on as he gets up again. He never acts contrary to his character, and does everything he can to adapt to the new environment while reaching towards his goal. He is real. It is not the overpoweredness that creates a bad character (because all MCs need some sort of distinction from other characters) but it's how you use that OPness. Nagate uses it in sync with his character and perpetuate the story, while GMC uses it to greasily show off while acting cool, accomplishing nothing in the process. Nagate's huge appetite is neither a cliche nor a major point for the story. His character is not defined by his huge appetite. It is a trivial, direct cause-effect situation embedded in the fact that he lived underground and did not develop like the rest of the humans. However, if you want to called the bear with a claw, Hiyami Lala, or what the fuck "Photosynthesizing together" means a "generic/cliche" point of the series, then I'd be greatly amused by how you will be supporting that claim.

Like Fai said, "just bearing with it to get to the good stuff" is not an acceptable excuse. Mahouka could be the greatest anime ever starting on episode 12, but if the first 11 episodes are a little more monkeys flinging shit at each other, no one will buy that argument. Even novice writers, producers, directors, etc know that the two most important part of any composition is the opening and the conclusion. The opening draws in audience members, who might otherwise not even bother with the work, and the conclusion shows that their time was well spent on this composition. A series that doesn't even recognize that fundamental rule in production can hardly be called a good anime.

P.S. @ligonis1337: The anime is a separate entity from the LN and should be treated as such. Thus your opinion gains no more credibility for reading the LN, especially if all you did was leech off Baka-Tsuki English translation of the original Japanese story. If you really want to slap someone with that epen0r, try learning Japanese and reading the original Japanese text. I can tell you from personal experience that it makes the English translation seem like ramblings from an elementary schooler.
May 17, 2014 5:35 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Nice seeing Nagate finally getting some good treatment from his fellow mates.
Alongside Nagate; Norio, Shizuka and Honoka also becomes full Gardes pilots.
Not sure if Norio actually intends to be comrades with Nagate..
Can't trust this guy yet.

Brief conversation with Captain Kobayashi was nice.
I wonder if Nagate's grandfather was among the Knights of Sidonia.

Yuhata has taken a good liking to Nagate; tried so hard to be alone with him. XD
Too bad, Shizuka incidentally took the place instead.

Nice Nagate X Shizuka moments in the Bathysphere.
The Hive-type Gaunas just had to ruin it..

All of a sudden, Nagate is in a hospital and being criticized once he woke up.
Shizuka has fallen?! :O Nani Kore?!

Good episode with a huge cliffhanger at the end!

May 17, 2014 5:41 PM

May 2013
Yuhata trying to get some alone time with Nagate lol, but damn poor Hoshijiro. I liked her too :(
May 17, 2014 5:49 PM

Aug 2013
Such a horrible episode just some dumb harem shit with a super shitty ending. What were they thinking?
HaytinMay 17, 2014 5:56 PM
May 17, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2010
Four pilots made into Gardes pilots.
Tanikaze and Hoshijiro blushing a lot and holdings hands... but Hoshijiro had to die :(
That slow motion and sudden time skip, I wonder how Tanikaze screwed up.
I can't help but to think that this is a Kunato conspiracy, his talk on the television pissed me off >.> Acting all humble and stuff idk >.<
I wonder how Tanikaze heals faster than the other people. This cliffhanger episode though T.T Nothing good comes from salutes...
May 17, 2014 5:59 PM

Jul 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I feel like it's completely the other way around with the whole atmosphere thing. Sidonia no Kishi absolutely excels at atmosphere with the setting, pacing, music and sound effects that really serve to set the mood while the other shows just kind of feel like a pastiche of stuff you can find in almost any show with no real direction or persistent tone. They're just kind of unremarkable so far even if both have their moments while Sidonia no Kishi is something you don't really get all that often anymore and has been consistently engrossing so far.

beat me to it. the thing that struck me most about this show, above all else, was the atmosphere it set in the first episode, and they've only continued to build on that initial impression.

I won't go off on a rant about the other two, I just disagree with what others are saying. NGNL and MKnR have their own atmosphere and feeling, and I like them for different reasons than Sidonia.

good episode, though. Too bad about Hoshijiro. I liked her quite a bit, even though, for shipping purposes, I prefer Izana. Green girl whose name I haven't bothered to remember continues to annoy me. Looks like jealous douchebag is doing his best to steal the spotlight... can't wait to see his inevitable, and hopefully horrifying, departure from the show
NinjaDustMay 17, 2014 6:45 PM
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
May 17, 2014 6:05 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty interesting how they told us Hoshijiro died this episode through a timeskip, but next episode will actually show us the event.

Not quite sure how I feel about that from a storytelling perspective. On one hand, her death will not leave as much of an impact on us now since we know it's coming. On the other hand.. actually I'm not sure what the upside of this would be. Seems an odd choice to go about it this way.

Sidonia is probably the only anime that I'd let get away with a harem episode.
May 17, 2014 6:06 PM

Aug 2007
Good episode. I'm curious on more on Tanikaze but the whole talk about him being a pawn and he might be eliminated just leaves me even more curious. Talk about craziness in the last couple of minutes everything seem to went straight to hell. Next ep should be a good one giving me the answers I desperately seek.
May 17, 2014 6:08 PM

Aug 2013
The death flag was really apparent before they faced that Gauna so i'm not really shocked, but still.... :(

I wonder if Tanikaze's 'healing factor' has a connection with Gauna or something like that.

And in order to fully appreciate underrated shows like this, some people just had to bash/insult/mock other shows and other people's taste huh.... What a bunch of grown-ups
May 17, 2014 6:10 PM

May 2014
There will be more of these calm comedy date episodes in the future but quite likely not within the episodes that are left of the current season.

FatefulLove said:
I wonder how Tanikaze heals faster than the other people.

You will actually find out in this season. Considering the pace they chew through manga chapters it will either be season finale or before it.

Gawd, I just hope they won't go mentioning that in a conversation like they did in previous episode when bear talked to the captain (because in the manga them finding the kabizashis was actually shown, not told). Because finding out how Tanikaze is healing quickly involves some real serious badassery on Tanikaze's gramps part.
UnsightlyWalrusMay 17, 2014 6:30 PM
May 17, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2014
Damn Nagate, your main chick is down!
I actually kinda liked her. :/ Oh well...

Why are NGNL and Mahouka even brought up in a Sidonia thread ? Criticism of whichever show is fine, but bringing up shows you think are garbage for the sole sake of putting them down is pretty low.
There's no need for silly and irrelevant comparisons to praise a show you liked.

ex_necross said:
Not quite sure how I feel about that from a storytelling perspective. On one hand, her death will not leave as much of an impact on us now since we know it's coming.
I'd argue that knowing something will happen doesn't necessarily lessens the impact of the event in question the moment it occurs. First example that comes to mind would be Shingeki's first episode. The tone was set right from the start and the rest of the episode was dedicated to slowly build up to the fated event (the titans invasion). The actual coming of the colossal titan, even though clearly foreshadowed in the beginning, hit just as hard as it should have, at least from my point of view.
SapewlothMay 17, 2014 6:19 PM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 17, 2014 6:11 PM

Jun 2013
UnsightlyWalrus said:
There will be more of these calm comedy date episodes in the future but quite likely not within the episodes that are left of the current season.

FatefulLove said:
I wonder how Tanikaze heals faster than the other people.

-

You did not just fucking spoil that, did you? Holy fuck.
ex_necrossMay 17, 2014 6:37 PM
May 17, 2014 6:12 PM

Jun 2012
Well Hoshijiro's death flag was risen as soon as she smiled before they sortied so it wasn't that big of a surprise. But I'm a little sad they skipped the fight.
May 17, 2014 6:20 PM
Apr 2014
Cool episode. Rip Hoshijiro. The actual battle will be shown next week. Which is good since it was hard to make it out what exactly happened during the battle in the manga.
May 17, 2014 6:31 PM

May 2014
ex_necross said:

Holy ****, that was not my intention. My mind must must have been wandering as I used the wrong word. Changed the post to what I really wanted to say.
May 17, 2014 6:33 PM

Jan 2014
UnsightlyWalrus said:
ex_necross said:

Holy ****, that was not my intention. My mind must must have been wandering as I used the wrong word. Changed the post to what I really wanted to say.
Duuuude...
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 17, 2014 6:51 PM

Mar 2010
So I can finally do a Benisuzume set.......she's even cuter than Hoshijiro....lol.
May 17, 2014 7:17 PM

Feb 2013
I saw that death-flag-salute... I do hope they show the full battle next episode.
May 17, 2014 7:19 PM

Nov 2011
Sapewloth said:
ex_necross said:
Not quite sure how I feel about that from a storytelling perspective. On one hand, her death will not leave as much of an impact on us now since we know it's coming.
I'd argue that knowing something will happen doesn't necessarily lessens the impact of the event in question the moment it occurs. First example that comes to mind would be Shingeki's first episode. The tone was set right from the start and the rest of the episode was dedicated to slowly build up to the fated event (the titans invasion). The actual coming of the colossal titan, even though clearly foreshadowed in the beginning, hit just as hard as it should have, at least from my point of view.

I agree. If a death's impact is dampened by knowledge of the happening beforehand, that would be subpar writing in my opinion, as it would imply a reliance on the shock factor. The impact should come from the establishment of the character and the circumstances of the death. It depends on how the show will handle it next episode. Also, Hoshijiro had tons of death flags in the previous episode, not to mention this one.
May 17, 2014 7:20 PM

Jul 2008
The fuck happened in that battle? D:
..and yay finally the episode is out!
May 17, 2014 7:27 PM

Oct 2013
man nagate getting in with the ladies, also HWAT THE FUCK HAPPENED
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 17, 2014 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
Yuhata trying to to spend time with Tanikaze alone, too bad her plan failed.

Hoshijiro was dead.
May 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Oct 2008
Good episode, and yes, the death flag was really obvious before that "time skip"

Botato said:

Lol no, it wasn't.
May 17, 2014 7:56 PM

Aug 2013
I liked the homecoming, but not sure why they showed the after math of the battle this episode. I want to see what actually happened and why everyone is so upset with Nagate.
My Candies:
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.