Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 14, 2014 12:22 PM

Apr 2014
LauraBirdie said:
I'm not a fan of the CGI characters, I think it takes away from their facial expressions. And it was kinda hard to tell the characters apart. Some animation seemed a bit choppy (when the MC crawled out of the hole in the rice factory) Like it had a low framerate. Guess this will take some getting used to.

The CGI worked pretty well for the environment, the mecha's and the suits the pilots were wearing. Nice use of textures

But the setting and atmosphere really impressed me. Good episode.I'm usually against 3D animation in anime but I'll gladly give this a chance

The OP was amazing

If I'm not wrong the pink haired girls were clones
Apr 14, 2014 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
LauraBirdie said:
And it was kinda hard to tell the characters apart.

That was not a CGI problem. That was intentional.
Apr 14, 2014 2:57 PM

Sep 2008
I find it hard to swallow all the CG. Not to mention watching this on streams is a nightmare, the only solution is probably waiting for HD.

On the other hand, I like everything else, the atmosphere, the setting, the story, everything is to my liking, just CG....guess I'll have to live with it.

Everything else is simply too good to be dropped, but I can certainly understand both low rating and probably low view number, CG is really off-putting.
nina4lifeApr 14, 2014 3:11 PM
Apr 14, 2014 4:39 PM

Oct 2013
ch ningen waaaaaaaaaaaat pretty cool concept but it seems to be moving really fast.

a 3rd gender that gets to choose who it can sex? interesting
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 14, 2014 6:49 PM

Aug 2013
Mmm, I must say, I really liked this premise!

First, what I like :

- The atmosphere. I really liked the gloomy dystopia setting. It reminded me a bit of Dead Space 2, but if the humanity would have survived in the ship instead than on Earth.

- The character design/animation. Weird huh? I know that a lot of people said that the character felt mechanical and undetailed. And you know what? That's what I loved about it. The fact that they look mechanical fit perfectly with setting. I felt like I was literally oppressed by those weird masked girls. I felt like all those people had nothing to do except than to fight and survive. It's like they had forgotten how to live. There was even a bunch of clones! Surprised me a bit. The fact that they are undetailed make that my eye focus on what is more important. The background and etc. To me, it's like if someone took an old report dating from years and years ago and tried to make a dramatisation.

- The music or the lack of music. I think that the best way to make an anime in space look serious and good is to not put music in most of scene. If you put music, it kind of ruin the feeling of loneliness space bring.

What I didn't liked : the animation. The animation in general felt sloppy and was not precise. It felt like I was playing Skyrim on the PS3 with a 10gb save. No but seriously, it was often not fluid at all. It's sad because it really looked great, but the fact that it was ''lagging'' so much make that it gave me an headache... That's the problem generally with CG, the more you want to make it fluid, the more money you have to put in it.

So the masked girl would have ''hired'' the underground boy because he could be the only one to control the type 17? That's what I understood from the fact that he was using another type of simulator that was using the type 17.

So there is now a third gender uh? Pretty useful that capacity :P
That bear was a bit too random and anti-climatic.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 14, 2014 11:46 PM

Nov 2013
that was.....truly awful. The pacing was so bad that it felt like a recap episode.
Apr 15, 2014 1:04 AM

Nov 2012
minouneetzoe said:

So there is now a third gender uh?

I think this character same as Frolbericheri "Frol" from "They Were 11"
Apr 15, 2014 1:56 AM

Mar 2012
Three things I already love about this series:

1) Angela
2) The crazy atmosphere
3) Satomi Arai is a bear
Apr 15, 2014 2:00 AM

Sep 2013
HimJL7 said:
that was.....truly awful. The pacing was so bad that it felt like a recap episode.

What? Please elaborate
Apr 15, 2014 8:21 AM

Mar 2014
Fai said:
LauraBirdie said:

I figured it was impossible to tell the pink haired girls apart, but I also had a hard time telling the two short black haired girls apart. I mean, their faces are basically identical. Luckily they have different eye colors, but it would have been a bit easier to tell them apart bij hair color or something, considering I haven't remembered their names yet
Apr 15, 2014 8:38 AM

Mar 2009
LauraBirdie said:

mass produce clones perhaps~

i really dont like CGI in human characters~ they look emotionless ~

hideyoshi gender is widely accepted now huh~
Apr 15, 2014 9:36 AM

Aug 2012
LauraBirdie said:

I figured it was impossible to tell the pink haired girls apart, but I also had a hard time telling the two short black haired girls apart.

Hoshijiro and Izana? Really? Wow...

LiLSatan said:
hideyoshi gender is widely accepted now huh~

Izana is neither man nor woman, not even a hermaphrodite.
Apr 15, 2014 11:29 AM

Jul 2007
LauraBirdie said:
Fai said:
LauraBirdie said:

I figured it was impossible to tell the pink haired girls apart, but I also had a hard time telling the two short black haired girls apart. I mean, their faces are basically identical. Luckily they have different eye colors, but it would have been a bit easier to tell them apart bij hair color or something, considering I haven't remembered their names yet

That's also intentional.
Apr 15, 2014 12:10 PM
Feb 2011
Love the OP and ED, but I prefer ED. (Love when KitaEri sings something serious.)
Apr 15, 2014 1:10 PM

May 2013
Nice first episode. The animation (especially at the beginning) wasn't very fluid, but it get better at the end. The story was a little bit too hard to follow and sometimes you don't understand what is going on. The art stile has the sameface problem of the manga but it is really good at portraying the locations and the fights. Since it is only 12 episodes I hope it will sell enought for another season.
Apr 15, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2011
The CGI really takes time to get used to, but i think the fight when he was using the VR in the beginning also showed some promising stuff. And at the very least it stands out. Still, animating the faces a bit better wouldn't hurt. Final Fantasy or even Appleseed showed that CGI isn't necessarily *that* emotionless.

The characters looking (almost) identical may be intentional, but that doesn't help much when you get like 10 of them thrown into your face. They should animate the faces a bit more. Even with CGI you can do better. Final Fantasy or even Appleseed showed that.

The story was a bit weird, too. First he lives underground, in a basically forgotten part of the ship, but nothing indicates that a lot of time passed since it was last used, given that they are only at generation 18, him being imediately familiar with the simulator etc.

And that one woman (?) not only posing as his legal guardian, for which there may be reasons, but throwing her mask away and hugging him - but not explaining anything beyond that?

I also think she (?) knew this is gonna happen, or at least expected it. Either she showed the actual (scanned etc.) Gauna there when talking to the heads, or it was because she knew. The whole set up was fishy. Only students, him being sent out immediately, and being given the Tsugumori. All three things were commented on by characters.

Guess we'll see how this plays out.
Apr 15, 2014 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
I love the animation ^^

and I was shocked when I heard how one of the characters mentioned that they were able to propagate with both male and females....

Does anyone know why most of the students look alike?
Apr 15, 2014 6:18 PM
Oct 2012
Trippwire01 said:
If you ask me, there was virtually no characterization. I hope they can build up the emotional aspect so that we can actually feel something for the characters. But the world itself is far out there.

I'm excited.

That may come later, but the lack of characterization is quite deliberate; I think the best example I can give is the original 2001. In that movie HAL was the character with the most personality, while it was the humans who acted more like the computers. Interesting little commentary that Kubrick was making there.

This society is a bit like that in Suisei, I just hope that the series maintains its internal logic unlike Suisei.

Tsuyuu: chances are that they don't allow live births, but instead do some sort of cloning. Or, in that it seems as if this society it pretty small, lots of inbreeding (notice how they disliked all outsiders).

Sorry I can't be more specific, only watching it the same as you, but that seems to be where this show is going.
Takuan_SohoApr 15, 2014 6:22 PM
Apr 15, 2014 10:33 PM

Feb 2011
Looks great so far. Everytime Nagate falls and hurt himself i would say Ouch! that gonna hurt very badly, but after he managed to broke his fingers and hit his head twice i am surprised that he is still alive :/ I know there will be some people dislike this anime because it's using 3D. I think i know the reason behind it since it looks really weird when watching 3DCG video lock at 23 to 30 fps. It does have a lagging effect to it. Which doesn't looks smooth or right at all.
srwgfanApr 15, 2014 10:38 PM
Apr 16, 2014 4:04 AM
Apr 2014
I don't watch mecha but I loved the first episode so much I had to go ahead and read the manga, I just finished volume 10 yesterday. I absolutely adore the story and based on only the first episode I'd say they're doing a splendid job adapting it to animation. They definitely nailed the atmosphere. Can't wait to see if this impression lasts after watching tomorrow's episode. This anime has a lot of potential. As for Izana, using a singular "they" as pronoun works very well. :)
Apr 16, 2014 9:05 AM

Nov 2011
HAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS 3FPS LOL

Not to mention, CEL SHADING

Oh god it's FREEDOM all over again

But FUCKING WORSE

What a goddamn fucking waste

Condolence to Nihei Tsutomu

Come on what the fuck it's TWO THOUSAND FUCKING FOURTEEN. EVEN WIZARD BARISTAS HAD OBVIOUS SUPERIOR 3D CGI ANIMATION. Detailed + smooth, Jesus Save Our Dicks. At most, this was like a horrible 3D hentai game.

The highlight of this episode was a 3rd sex popping out of nowhere. And that has NOTHING to do with their war struggles.

This serves as a model for taking the work of a rather respectable mangaka and making an anime adaptation so horrible, it stains not just the work itself, but the original creator themselves. This is how things can go absolutely wrong. Shit, even Black Bullet's first few seconds was more exciting than this crap (everything before the canonical line, "If you don't want to die, survive.").
zetsu_shorenApr 16, 2014 9:18 AM
Apr 17, 2014 5:01 AM

Dec 2013
A show that isn't feelgoodery otaku pandering bullshit? Sign me up.
Apr 17, 2014 7:30 AM

Jan 2011
the art style is acceptable for me, but surely not great, and don't like the male hero at all

story is ok so far (3rd gender...), will watch the next episode to decide
Apr 17, 2014 9:04 AM

Nov 2012
everything is in MMD animation...this is MMD right??
kinda unique frst time seeing this in TV anime series
so is this going to be the next generation of anime art??
Cheers,
CrossRyuu
Apr 17, 2014 12:45 PM

Sep 2008
The CGI is dreadful stuff and someone needs to get punched for deciding to make it like this. I'm still happy to see this story animated, though.

Apr 17, 2014 1:10 PM

Jan 2010
i wasn't sure if i wanted to watch this show, so i decided to read this tread first. After doing so, i couldn't figure out whether SnoK is good or bad. Then i watched the episode and i'm still not sure how i feel about it. I can't say it's interesting, yet it's not really boring. Just OK, i guess.
Animation of movement is awful, but i love urban scenery and battle in the beginning of the episode.
Reminds me strongly of Shingeki no Kyoujin, but less catchy.
Apr 17, 2014 4:12 PM

Jun 2013
I love all these tears. Keep crying about the CG, it sustains me.
Apr 18, 2014 2:30 AM

Mar 2014
Reminds me of aoki hagane no arpeggio, which i loved btw.