Forum Settings
Forums

Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades

New
Mar 16, 2014 6:20 PM

Jan 2009
Modern civilisation is heading for collapse within a matter of decades because of growing economic instability and pressure on the planet’s resources, according to a scientific study funded by Nasa.

Using theoretical models to predict what will happen to the industrialised world over the course of the next century or so, mathematicians found that even with conservative estimates things started to go very badly, very quickly.

“Collapse can be avoided and population can reach equilibrium if the per capita rate of depletion of nature is reduced to a sustainable level, and if resources are distributed in a reasonably equitable fashion,” the scientists said.

more reading - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasafunded-study-warns-of-collapse-of-civilisation-in-coming-decades-9195668.html
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2014 6:22 PM

Mar 2013
should i build a fallout bunker and go on that show doomsday prepers?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Mar 16, 2014 6:24 PM

Aug 2008
Yea. I'd believe it.

Civilization has reached a point, where it can totally wreck the planet, to the point of unsustainability. Sadly, the most powerful among us are showing themselves to be completely unable to handle the responsibility for the sake of humanity. Under these people, we're doomed.

Using his Handy model to assess a scenario closely resembling the current state of the world, Motesharri found that civilisation “appears to be on a sustainable path for quite a long time, but even using an optimal depletion rate and starting with a very small number of Elites, the Elites eventually consume too much, resulting in a famine among the Masses that eventually causes the collapse of society”.

So, can we tax the rich heavily now?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Mar 16, 2014 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
Get your ass to mars.
Mar 16, 2014 6:27 PM

Mar 2013
KyuuAL said:

pretty sure you are preaching to the quire
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Mar 16, 2014 6:29 PM

Dec 2012
KyuuAL said:

lets do it
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Mar 16, 2014 6:36 PM

Nov 2008
We won't live to see it, it'll be somewhere in the late 2090's to early 2100's.

Mar 16, 2014 6:38 PM

Jan 2013
Hoppy said:

They are just saying that so you don't panic
Mar 16, 2014 6:40 PM

Mar 2012
Hoppy said:
This sounds like a more reasonable estimate to me.

RedArmyShogun said:
Hoppy said:
They are just saying that so you don't panic
9/11 was an inside job.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 16, 2014 6:52 PM

Sep 2012
Damn Maybe im smart after all, EVEN ME had guess that the world will one day run out of ressources. I should work with NASA if they make more studies like this one.

Now please tell me about their study on global warming.
Id love to hear it because there has been an iceberg in front of my door for about 6 months now
Mar 16, 2014 6:54 PM

Mar 2013
Hoppy said:

I wouldn't be too sure of that, the western world is now up to it's eyeballs in dept. I can see things going down hill fast in the next decade or 2.

Mar 16, 2014 6:56 PM

Sep 2011
Hoppy said:
lol my grandkids are so fucked

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 16, 2014 6:59 PM
Mar 2013
Nasa needs to stop making this stuff up and take off their tin-foil hats
Mar 16, 2014 7:00 PM

Jun 2008
None of this is really news. The "masses" already can't sustain themselves and there's no way they can consume as much as the average American. I remember a stat where like for every average American citizen to consume x resources, like x people elsewhere need to live in extreme poverty for the trend to be sustained.
Mar 16, 2014 7:05 PM
Mar 2013
Tachii said:
None of this is really news. The "masses" already can't sustain themselves and there's no way they can consume as much as the average American. I remember a stat where like for every average American citizen to consume x resources, like x people elsewhere need to live in extreme poverty for the trend to be sustained.
Yes, that is true

Here's a rather sketchy site explaining it

http://public.wsu.edu/~mreed/380American%20Consumption.htm
Mar 16, 2014 7:05 PM

Jan 2013
JD2411 said:
Tachii said:
Yes, that is true

So NASA is saying, bomb America?

No wonder they don't get funding anymore.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.
LunaMar 22, 2014 2:06 AM
Mar 16, 2014 7:06 PM

Aug 2008
Hoppy said:

I don't care. I'd much prefer to imagine a human civilization that reaches beyond this solar system. But alas, humanity might destroy itself before taking that opportunity.

Upon reaching outer space - and into the moon - mankind goof'd up and messed up the opportunity by continuing to push forward. Instead, we've been much too complacent within our comfort zone. I am personally guilty of this, indicative of my own lifestyle.

The worst treaty to come out of the space race - is the removal of a nation's ability to claim territory in space. This completely wiped out any motivation to divert resources towards space development and expansion outward.

Instead, we're stuck on this planet debating lesser important issues -- like that gun thread (**cough cough**) -- among other things.

Ultimately, as living organisms on this planet, we are pretty much living a larger scale of the "bacteria in a petrie dish" experiment. How many remember this in grade school?
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Mar 16, 2014 7:08 PM
Nov 2008
oh boy, it's the next 2012. it's gonna be a fun couple of decades.
Mar 16, 2014 7:09 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:

ERR you need to be rather stupid not to see this happening, just be glad you where born when you was because by mid this century thing are going to start getting ugly when resources start running out and we start struggling to produce enough food to feed the population.

Mar 16, 2014 7:10 PM

Sep 2012
Time to push the RESET button.
Mar 16, 2014 7:11 PM

Aug 2008
Heredity said:
oh boy, it's the next 2012. it's gonna be a fun couple of decades.

Except this one may be more real than Y2K. Who remembers that?

Mar 16, 2014 7:11 PM
Mar 2013
Newhopes said:
JD2411 said:

ERR you need to be rather stupid not to see this happening, just be glad you where born when you was because by mid this century thing are going to start getting ugly when resources start running out and we start struggling to produce enough food to feed the population.
Nasa didn't give any sources or develop their argument

Therefore it is made up to try and spook people

and when have Nasa ever been right before?
Mar 16, 2014 7:20 PM

Apr 2012
hopefully i'll be dead before this happens

sweg.....

Mar 16, 2014 7:20 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
Newhopes said:
JD2411 said:

You don't need Nasa to figure it out, we have about 25-30 years worth of oil left to maintain what we currently use once thats gone you can kiss civilization as we know it goodbye.

Mar 16, 2014 7:21 PM
Mar 2013
Newhopes said:
JD2411 said:
Newhopes said:
JD2411 said:

You don't need Nasa to figure it out, we have about 25-30 years worth of oil left to maintain what we currently use once thats gone you can kiss civilization as we know it goodbye.
The government is lying

And once America is destroyed the oil will last for another century
Mar 16, 2014 7:22 PM

Sep 2012
Sometimes i feel like some people were raised to be paranoid.

Why would it be stupid to not believe them ?

Btw why would we panic? We all die one day lol this is one of the funniest thing on earth >

Some people when hearing about 2012 : OMG WHAT ARE WE REALLY GONNA DIE

Now take the same people and tell'em they could die at any moment from a disease, car accident, heart attack ect,,, : no reaction. Gets drunk and drive, take drugs, smoke, eat fast food everyday, dont do any sports.
Mar 16, 2014 7:31 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
Newhopes said:
JD2411 said:
Newhopes said:
JD2411 said:

The government is lying

And once America is destroyed the oil will last for another century

Won't make any difference the emerging markets places like China,India ETC are steadly increasing the amount of oil they consume as they develop their economies.

Mar 16, 2014 7:35 PM
Jul 2018
RedArmyShogun said:
Get your ass to mars.

Women are from Venus so that's where I'll go.

But seriously, this doesn't surprise me. The larger the population becomes, the greater need we will have for housing, food, and resources in general. Eventually the planet will simply run out. Unless science comes up with some new way to sustain the growing population, then exhaustion of resources is inevitable.
Mar 16, 2014 7:37 PM
Dec 2013
Hopefully I'll be dead when this happens. If not then I'm moving to Mars so I can live with the Martians.
Mar 16, 2014 7:42 PM

Jan 2013
Aylaine said:
RedArmyShogun said:
Get your ass to mars.

But seriously, this doesn't surprise me. The larger the population becomes, the greater need we will have for housing, food, and resources in general. Eventually the planet will simply run out. Unless science comes up with some new way to sustain the growing population, then exhaustion of resources is inevitable.

The problem is plenty of resources are out there. ITs just all the Ivory tower sitting mother fuckers know they won't be alive to see these things and they don't want to spend money towards it. Everyone can burn as long as they get to eat all the gravy. Even power would not be a problem.
Mar 16, 2014 9:06 PM

Jan 2014
JD2411 said:
Tachii said:
Yes, that is true

Yeah, yeah, nice article. Who's the babe sitting on the SUV in that picture?
Mar 16, 2014 9:19 PM

Mar 2013
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't peak oil predicted to happen in 2030-2040? I mean that can easily cause a market panic. But either way the financial system is screwed.

I mean the global m3 (how much total money in the entire world) is about 70 trillion dollars (give or take a couple trillion) but the total amount of money that is invested in things like the stock market is over several hundred trillion dollars. As you can probably tell this is not good not good at all. The global financial system currently is just a bunch of dominoes waiting for a breeze to knock them all down; and when it happens 2008 will look like paradise compared to this recession. It is pretty much inevitable at this point and we are pretty much past the point of no return.

Mar 16, 2014 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
Narrator: With high expectations, human beings leave Earth to begin a new life in space colonies. However, the United Earth Sphere Alliance gains great military powers and soon seizes control of one colony after another in the name of *justice* and *peace.* The year is After Colony 195.

That's how I think the future will be like or something similar to it. Oh I think I know how to solve the problem!!!!! Twitch Plays Government!!!!!! I mean a few handful of people in this world have the power, how about everybody that has a means to internet access attempt to try, that or a new religion will be formed xD....now all we need are Gundams made from Gundanium Alloy or at least those cannon fodder Leo mobile suits.....
1L0can0Mar 16, 2014 9:24 PM
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Mar 16, 2014 9:34 PM

Apr 2011
The funny part is that people actually believe that
Mar 16, 2014 10:13 PM

Mar 2008
Valaskjalf said:
Are you an expert on earth's resources and sustainability over time with regard to current and future demographic growth and activity?
Mar 17, 2014 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
RedArmyShogun said:
Aylaine said:
RedArmyShogun said:
Get your ass to mars.

The problem is plenty of resources are out there. ITs just all the Ivory tower sitting mother fuckers know they won't be alive to see these things and they don't want to spend money towards it. Everyone can burn as long as they get to eat all the gravy. Even power would not be a problem.

Even then though, eventually they would run out. We just need some new technology where we can transform water into food. Or something.
Mar 17, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
Aylaine said:

Even then though, eventually they would run out. We just need some new technology where we can transform water into food. Or something.

The resources I speak of would not run out even if the human population grew to 100 billion. That is in space. Also in terms of earth nuclear powerd water purrification plants and hydrophonics farms could solve pretty much all of our food and freash water problems.

It will just take a few years of scarifice and hard work as well as the investment of the greater part of the economy. But hey whats survival of the human race.
Mar 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Jan 2014
Guess we have to go back to our Y2K rations.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 17, 2014 4:25 PM

Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
Aylaine said:

The resources I speak of would not run out even if the human population grew to 100 billion. That is in space. Also in terms of earth nuclear powerd water purrification plants and hydrophonics farms could solve pretty much all of our food and freash water problems.

It will just take a few years of scarifice and hard work as well as the investment of the greater part of the economy. But hey whats survival of the human race.

It has not been demonstrated that there is significant biomass in space.

All life as we know it comes from pre-existing life and requires the consumption of other life to sustain itself. Thus there is a sort of de facto "conservation of biomass" principle going on here on Earth. Logically, if the human population continues to grow to the point where it takes up a significant percentage of Earth's total biomass, then there will not be enough other biomass to sustain humanity.

We're not at that point yet though and won't be for a long, long time. There's what, 100x more bacteria by weight than human beings?

We just need to manage Earth's biomass a bit more efficiently.
Mar 17, 2014 4:40 PM

Jan 2013
Jackrabb1t said:

It has not been demonstrated that there is significant biomass in space.

All life as we know it comes from pre-existing life and requires the consumption of other life to sustain itself. Thus there is a sort of de facto "conservation of biomass" principle going on here on Earth. Logically, if the human population continues to grow to the point where it takes up a significant percentage of Earth's total biomass, then there will not be enough other biomass to sustain humanity.

We're not at that point yet though and won't be for a long, long time. There's what, 100x more bacteria by weight than human beings?

We just need to manage Earth's biomass a bit more efficiently.

Terraforming and small scale projects on the Javian moons could solve that, but I was mostly speaking of material resources. I forget the number designation but a meteor they landed a probe on not long ago was show to have more metals in it that humans have minded in our whole history combined.

I'll give you biomass, however thats why I pointed out hydrophonics and the like. Also new energy and fuel sorces will be a must and it will require scarifices with a standard of living for all mankind more like in the 2nd world or lower class first world. It will be a long push, but one ultimately in the end worth it.
Mar 17, 2014 4:58 PM

Oct 2013
“Collapse can be avoided and population can reach equilibrium if the per capita rate of depletion of nature is reduced to asustainable level, and if resources are distributed in a reasonably equitable fashion,” the scientists said.

Captain Obvious strikes, again! :-)
Mar 17, 2014 5:34 PM

Feb 2013
Eh, I expect it to happen sooner rather than later. And not due to lack of resources.

Anyone who just outright shuns the possibility of civil collapse with the old "take off your tin-foil hat" routine needs to take off their blindfold first. We live in a world and time where government officials believe overpopulating an island can tip it over. Calling that an isolated incident is wishful thinking, at best.

It may not happen...at least it might not happen yet, but it definitely can.
Mar 17, 2014 5:55 PM

Jan 2013
Ntad said:
Eh, I expect it to happen sooner rather than later. And not due to lack of resources.

Anyone who just outright shuns the possibility of civil collapse with the old "take off your tin-foil hat" routine needs to take off their blindfold first. We live in a world and time where government officials believe overpopulating an island can tip it over. Calling that an isolated incident is wishful thinking, at best.

It may not happen...at least it might not happen yet, but it definitely can.

Most people can't smell the shit till you rub it in their faces.
Mar 17, 2014 5:55 PM
Nov 2008
Valaskjalf said:
i believe in Valaskjalf. he's from the future.
Mar 18, 2014 7:24 AM
Jan 2014
To predict something about the far future is ridicolous. Nothing knows what will happen in the 21th century, maybe something huge will change everything.
Mar 18, 2014 8:34 AM

Nov 2009
this research might make you realize that the end of anno domini/common era is just around the corner...and universal century is incoming, do "UC" what i see?

Mar 18, 2014 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
sauteed_roaches said:
this research might make you realize that the end of anno domini/common era is just around the corner...and universal century is incoming, do "UC" what i see?

HIEL ZEON!

Also @ Cabacc Its better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Or as I would point out the Story on the Grasshopper and the Ant. Far too many grasshoppers are alive now.
Mar 18, 2014 8:41 AM
Jan 2014
RedArmyShogun said:
sauteed_roaches said:

HIEL ZEON!

Also @ Cabacc Its better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Or as I would point out the Story on the Grasshopper and the Ant. Far too many grasshoppers are alive now.

owning a gun also means a risk. It can be used against you, you hold responsibility if someone steals it etc.

I am better off not owning a gun.
Mar 18, 2014 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
cabacc2 said:
RedArmyShogun said:
sauteed_roaches said:

HIEL ZEON!

owning a gun also means a risk. It can be used against you, you hold responsibility if someone steals it etc.

I am better off not owning a gun.

If you arn't prepaired to take responsibility then that is so. I'm a very dutiful person so it doesn't bother me. Its also why I don't like demoracy however.

Most people will always take the easy way out, its how they get burned so horriblly in the fires.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.