Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2014 9:21 PM

Mar 2012
What are your top 5 shounen manga and why? What separates these titles from the other mass of shounen? This is not meant to be a simple listing thread but rather encourages discussion. Keep spoilers to a minimum but if you have to list spoilers then make sure you spoiler tag it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 2, 2014 9:49 PM

Oct 2013
1. Yu Yu Hakusho
2. Getbackers
3. Flame of Recca
4. Saint Seiya
5. Shaman King

I had a hard time thinking of these, because shonen isn't my top favorite style, but I do like it. I would say Yu Yu Hakusho was my favorite because I liked the style and feel of the story and I really liked all the characters personalities. Flame of Recca and Getbackers I actually started reading for a silly reason, that I thought their hair was cool XD and ended up loving everything about them. I have not finished Saint Seiya, so I can't give a 100% opinion on it, but I'm loving it so far. Shaman King was with me as a kid, and I think it was the first shonen thing I read, and it just kind of always stuck with me.
Mar 2, 2014 11:44 PM

Jan 2014

DBZ is and will always be the standard with witch to judge all other Shonen Manga, so it has to take the top spot. One-Piece made me a life long fan after the whole -Ace- thing. YuYu cos the characters and fights are both so cool. Naruto is imo one of the best Manga of all time *not a fanboy* but I can appreciate a good story when I read it, plus it's one of the Manga that I've always looked forward to reading the next chapter to find out all the mysteries like -who was behind the mask- stuff like that *not many other Manga have had so many people guessing on forums about characters N plot or other stuff as much as Naruto has*, and finally BLEACH -_- seriously when I first read bleach I had high hopes and after the END of the Save Rukia/Soul Society arc I really though this series had sooo much potential... but it has let me down so many time that I wasn't goin to add it to my list... but the new chapters have been so good lately that I said *eff it* I'll add it >_<
Don't you wanna hang out and waste your life with us?
-Spike Spiegel-
Mar 3, 2014 6:36 AM

Mar 2012
Probably these ones:

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: While I'd like to say that it's unlike any others, the main reason I like it was because of its MC: Jolyne Kujo. A female MC in a male demographic that probably has one of the worst powers in all of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and maybe even all shounen; yet manages to push that power to its full extent and becomes of the most badass and resourceful characters I've seen. Not to mention its ending, the villain, and all the continuity nods it has.
2. Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure: I haven't read Dragonball, so, for me, this is the standard of shonen and trope setter. Bonus points for having a main character that isn't the titular character, minus points for its ending.
3. Death Note: Mostly for it's cat-and-mouse thriller, not to mention that it's one of the few series out there where you have an actual villain MC and manages to get people to root for him while also rooting for the "hero" to win. Unfortunately, it has bad pacing, plot inconsistency, and quite a lot of asspulls.
4. Gambling Emperor Legend Zero: Again, because of the MC. It manages to be bot resourceful and helpless, to make drama/conflict, yet manages to do so in a believable way. His skills and formation mean that he can beat some of the trials he has, but he's dealing with people with better skills and cheaters, which make sense given the context, and some of his "wins" are usually by luck or just outsmarting the enemy. Also, bonus points for all the trivia it has.
5. Soul Hunter: Standard shonen for the most part, but its historical angle, slacker MC, main villain, comedy, and ending put it a little above the rest.
Mar 3, 2014 8:17 AM

Oct 2013
1. One Piece- great storyline and nice characters. I'm following this manga for so long and can't get enough of it. Oda created an interesting world.

2. Hunter X Hunter- good fights and almost no pointless fillers. I love it's dark setting, though.

3. Fairy Tail- fanservice....fanservice everywhere! FT has great art, lovable characters and dragons!!!
The fights are pretty entertaining too.

4. Inu Yasha- old work, however, it's still present nowadays. The story about Inu Yasha and Kagome is thought-provoking. A must read!

5. Rave Master- another work of Mashima-sensei, but it's a "darker" than Fairy Tail.
Mar 3, 2014 9:22 AM

Feb 2014
1) Dragon Ball series- great adventure awesome characters good mix with sci fi and martial arts and the comedy is actually good

2) Flames of Recca- I always thought that in terms of manga Recca was better than YYH while YYH was the better anime

3) Shingeki no Kyojin- totally different from most shonen manga.

4) YYH- average art but good story and the cast are really good with development and the action is sick

5) Fairy Tail- stayed with it through its ups(Tower of Heaven Tenrou Island) and downs(GMG) but it has consistently gotten better and Hiro is improving.. Tartaros Arc=best arc
Titanz25Mar 3, 2014 9:27 AM
Mar 3, 2014 9:32 AM
Mar 2014
1. Dragon Ball
2. Fairy Tail<3
3. Inuyasha
4. Noragami
5. One Piece
Mar 3, 2014 10:38 AM

Mar 2014
1. One Piece
2. Dragon Ball
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Hunter X Hunter
5. Naruto
Mar 3, 2014 8:50 PM

Aug 2012
1. Attack on Titan
2. Fairy Tail
3. Death Note
4. Dragon Ball Z
5. Shaman King
Mar 3, 2014 8:55 PM
Dec 2013
i dont read manga much but these are the only ones:
1.Naruto/Fairy Tail
Mar 4, 2014 7:19 AM

Sep 2013
inb4thelock

One Punch Man - Plain badass
Toriko - read it
Bleach - 2deep4u
One piece - do I have to say
Naruto - believe it
Mar 4, 2014 10:42 AM

Oct 2008
1. Full Metal Alchemist
FMA is the perfect shounen: great battles, great characters but also an interesting story.

2. Hajime no Ippo (fun characters, epic battles, addictive)
3. Shingeki no kyojin (great setting/story)
4. Rurouni Kenshin (awesome battles, classic)
5. Dragonball (just plain fun)

Slam dunk was really good too
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Mar 4, 2014 11:05 AM

Nov 2011
This is a really hard question to answer. Not really sure what counts as a shounen. I'll try to play it safe plus im taking both the anime and manga into consideration.

1. Ashita no Joe
2. Dragon Ball
3. Jojos Bizarre Adventure
4. Astroboy
5. Saint Seiya

I sorta half ass thought that through but it looks good to me. I havent finidshed watching or reading it but Ashita no Joe kills every other shounen in terms of character developement and has the most engaging and mature storyline based on what ive seen. Dragon Ball is just a classic full of characters who pretty much every anime fan knows. Jojos Adventure is just so much fun with wacky battles and hilarious situations featuring loveable characters. Astroboy in a way is basically the grand daddy of all shounen. Its a pretty great manga and mostly lives up to the hype but the quality is unbalanced and while some stories are genius we have a few clunkers here and there. Saint seiya just has awesome action, badass opening, and fabulous armor.

Special mention to City Hunter, Hokutonoken, and Kinnikuman. Again I just sorta half ass thought this list through and might change my mind but either way I love these anime and manga.
Mar 4, 2014 12:22 PM

Nov 2012
1 toriko
2 one piece
3 hunter x hunter
4 shaman king
5 one punch man
Mar 4, 2014 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
1. Bleach
2. D. Gray Man
3. Beelzebub
4. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3
5. Probably Saint Seiya the Lost Canvas even though I'm not that far into it.
Mar 4, 2014 6:44 PM

Apr 2013
1. One piece
2. Naruto
3. Magi
4. Dragon ball
5. Rurouni kenshin
Mar 4, 2014 6:56 PM

Nov 2010
1. One Piece
2. Konjiki no Gash Bell
3. Angel Densetsu
4. Shingeki no Kyojin
5. Gamaran
Mar 4, 2014 7:04 PM

Feb 2010
1. One Piece
2. Slam Dunk
3. Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo
4. Konjiki no Gash Bell

Don't have a 5th spot as of now. It's up for grabs for either Magi, Nanatsu no Taizai, Great Teacher Onizuka, Death Note.
Mar 4, 2014 7:06 PM

Jun 2012
City Hunter.

I donno, it's fun.
Mar 5, 2014 9:13 AM
Dec 2012
One piece
FMA
Magi
D Gray man
Shaman king
Mar 5, 2014 12:10 PM

Nov 2011
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone put in a little effort and do as the open asked?
Mar 5, 2014 10:10 PM

Jun 2011
BlackSabotage said:
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone put in a little effort and do as the open asked?

Lol.

Hikaru no Go is so underrated. I love it because of the characters, the games, and the art which is drawn by Obata Takeshi back in the 90s, you can see characters growing physically overtime, and also mentally. The only reason why it's not a 10 in my list is because the lackluster ending. I am still hoping for a continuation, even now.

Mahou Sensei Negima will also be one of my favorite. The story has it's faults, especially the rage-worthy ending (I am not the one who raged), but it made it into my list of favorite because of the fights, back in the days I thought it has one of the best action sequence that I've ever read. I don't know if I'll feel the same now, haven't reread it yet.

Can you call Tower of God and The Breaker shounen? They're not manga tho..

Edit: Bakuman would've made it onto this list if it wasn't for the cringe-worthy romance which I thought it was done poorly and needless. (I know it's the protagonist's motivation). I liked Takagi's romance/marriage though, just not the one with the seiyuu.
ToG25thBaamMar 5, 2014 10:13 PM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 6, 2014 7:49 AM
Jan 2013
Gintama
Hunter x Hunter
Full Metal Alchemis
Slam Dunk
Rorouni Kenshin
Mar 6, 2014 4:43 PM

Jun 2011
Rurouni Kenshin
One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hunter X Hunter
Eyeshield 21

Mar 6, 2014 4:49 PM

Nov 2013
Naruto
Toriko
Shingeki no Kyojin
Death Note
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Mar 6, 2014 10:34 PM

Jan 2014
RichtheLionheart said:
This is not meant to be a simple listing thread but rather encourages discussion.

My top 2 shounen manga:
1. One Piece
2. Gintama

I can't decide the rest.

One Piece because it's the most entertaining manga I've ever read. I love the characters the most, then the story, the comedy, the setting, the art, the fight (coming from someone who usually skip the fight scene from other manga since it's usually boring) even the mangaka. What separates this from others is... this sounds so vague and biased but when I read One Piece, it feels like I can tell how much effort Oda put in every single panel. Like... he really wants to entertain his readers.

Gintama, I love the characters. Since characters is the most important thing for me. Also, I really like the way Sorachi made a story from something we might not think much about it. For example,
Mar 7, 2014 7:00 AM

Jan 2013
1)One Piece
2)Gash Bel
3)YuYu Hakusho
4)Hokuto no Ken
5)Rurouni Kenshinl
Mar 7, 2014 8:46 AM

Mar 2014
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
FMA Brotherhood
Hajime no Ippo
Detective Conan
Mar 7, 2014 8:58 AM

Jun 2011
RichtheLionheart said:
This is not meant to be a simple listing thread but rather encourages discussion.

GUYS PLEASE STATE YOUR REASONS INSTEAD OF JUST LISTING THEM.
Mar 7, 2014 8:59 AM

Nov 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
1. One Piece
2. Konjiki no Gash Bell
3. Angel Densetsu
4. Shingeki no Kyojin
5. Gamaran
My reasoning on what makes them stand out from other shounen mangas is that these are basically the only ones I've ever read.
Mar 7, 2014 9:07 AM

Jun 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
IntroverTurtle said:
1. One Piece
2. Konjiki no Gash Bell
3. Angel Densetsu
4. Shingeki no Kyojin
5. Gamaran
My reasoning on what makes them stand out from other shounen mangas is that these are basically the only ones I've ever read.

LOL! Go read Hikaru no Go, or rather, watch it.
Mar 7, 2014 9:08 AM

Nov 2010
ToG25thBaam said:
IntroverTurtle said:
IntroverTurtle said:
1. One Piece
2. Konjiki no Gash Bell
3. Angel Densetsu
4. Shingeki no Kyojin
5. Gamaran

LOL! Go read Hikaru no Go, or rather, watch it.
Already have watched it.
Mar 7, 2014 9:17 AM

Oct 2013
Shingeki no kyojin
claymore
Uq holder
D-grayman
akame ga kill

I love all five of these manga, They are very interesting. Sadly d-grayman at the moment is on hiatus.....
Mar 7, 2014 11:04 AM

Apr 2010
Thread locked

Despite the OP's request too discuss the reasons for the choices most people are just listing.
For that reason i can only conclude that despite the OP's best attempt this has turned into a listing thread with little discussion going on.
And for that reason i have locked this thread.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
5 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.