Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 23, 2014 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode reminds me of a bit of Gundam SEED in a similar situation of Athrun/Cagalli. Obviously, Aoba's piloting skills isn't on that level yet. But still, I thought the atmosphere feels the same.

Really sucks getting trapped in a cave. Oh well, at least he and Hina are getting along better since their reunion. Hell, they will probably meet again soon. I noticed the flags raised.
Feb 23, 2014 7:27 AM

Nov 2007
Assuming dead, and bad weather, so not going to find them until later.

As expected, she doesn't believe him. Flood and trying to get out together, and her heart got soften towards him.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 23, 2014 7:39 AM

Dec 2012
Aoba, you so alpha! He did leave quite an impression on Hina as I'd expected him to. The scene where he stood facing the two rescuing mech with early morning light on the background was well done. People have been saying Aoba is a bland character but this episode reminded us why he's a competent and likable MC.
Feb 23, 2014 10:09 AM
Jan 2014
Aoba has been redeemed himself in this episode. Aoba may seem bland at first glance and the way hina treated him didnt make no difference to him to whether she knew him or not. He still ended up saving her and probably left a huge impression on her. His kindness to Hina despite the way she treated him really shows her he had good intentiona towards her.
Feb 23, 2014 2:47 PM

May 2013
This episode reminded me alot to Code Geass XD

Well I see were this is going, that hair clip was a key part to this episode

Hina is so cute :3
Feb 23, 2014 5:06 PM

Aug 2012
boring chapter, reminds me a lot of other series not only GS CG or 00
maybe are you yatate hajime?

why if they take the most basic silly ideas, from other series they can't rescue also the important ideas?

at least in this chapter Aoba not exaggerating as I expected. (I thought that he was going to supplicate the girl even after she hit him Lol)
anyway I sincerely hope they not will find again soon and that in the next chapterhave more information about the political and social situation
is not all about the nice animation or "hina"

I HATE HINA at this point only wastes time

seriously, Aoba in the first chapters reminded me sakura of naruto, with all the " sasuke kun!! sasuke kun!! sasuke kun!!" hina hina hina~

aww poor baby, it was time for he cry less and it begins to act like a real man
Feb 23, 2014 7:40 PM

Mar 2012
This is rather surprising. They have what, 5 episodes left? The most straightforward way for plot to speed up right now would be to have Hina captured. Instead -- and I'm not saying this wasn't the right thing for Aoba to do -- Hina was let go and the cycle of on-and-off battles is going to continue. If only this was a 2-cour then the long-term fishing would've made sense. But in terms of pacing, I don't know how 5 episodes are going to make a complete story without having things be rushed. I mean, we're 8 episodes in and it still feels like a lot of things remain unexplored...
Feb 23, 2014 11:30 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
It's Gundam Seed all over again.
zannet_t said:
This is rather surprising. They have what, 5 episodes left? The most straightforward way for plot to speed up right now would be to have Hina captured. Instead -- and I'm not saying this wasn't the right thing for Aoba to do -- Hina was let go and the cycle of on-and-off battles is going to continue. If only this was a 2-cour then the long-term fishing would've made sense. But in terms of pacing, I don't know how 5 episodes are going to make a complete story without having things be rushed. I mean, we're 8 episodes in and it still feels like a lot of things remain unexplored...

And then it'll be valvrave all over again.

Feb 24, 2014 9:20 AM

Aug 2010
I liked this ep :D

Yeah, it's the usual Sunrise girlxboy stuck on an island but it was pretty fun ^^

The desperate situation in the cave and when they started drowning was pretty intense.

And ofc nice to see Hina warm up to Aoba now. As expected, he's the one who gave her the hair pin and she'll treasure it ^^ I wonder when she meets Dio though? Another hostage like scenario? I thought she's gonna become their hostage now but Aoba was too kind XD

Lol'd at how that female general was owned by having the commander dead and they told her "we've confirmed his death we'll work on our own now" ^^

Aoba was funny and pretty awesome this ep. I don't get how he still doesn't understand that she's not the same timeline Hina. Hopefully he'll become a BA from now on since he won't keep shouting "HINA HINA" like an idiot XD

I do wonder where the Hina he saw is now though? Good question from him.
Feb 24, 2014 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
17:09 hawt shot of hina on her back

-----------------------
1. Aoba x hina conversation didn't reveal anything new

2. No mecha fights & yet this ep drew me in. Need more like this one.

3. only 5 eps left. seems like a rushed ending will come at this pace

8/10
billybob300cFeb 25, 2014 4:21 AM
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Feb 24, 2014 10:24 AM
Jan 2013
Aoba you moron you still didn't get do you? That 2 entities can't occupy the same time line, there fore that Hina you're talking is the current Hina who is yet to go back in time to meet you.

Aoba digging by using some kind of tree branch, how stupid is that?
Feb 24, 2014 10:26 AM

Apr 2008
Baddie007 said:
Aoba you moron you still didn't get do you? That 2 entities can't occupy the same time line, there fore that Hina you're talking is the current Hina who is yet to go back in time to meet you.

To be fair by telling her the story of him being attacked AND giving her the hairpin he has already put her on the path to reaching that timeline
Feb 24, 2014 11:52 AM
Jan 2013
Great Episode for me. Really liked the progress and I hope this anime will get more than 13 episodes.

Time traveling is always hard to write. (Perfectly done in Steins;Gate by the way)

To sum this up: Hina is the same. There are not two different timelines. It´s the same I would say. He explained everything to her, so if she goes to the past she has the hairpin and she knows what will happen. The open questions: Why does she know who Dio is, maybe she will change sites?

It also looks like the Enemy that tries to kill Aoba in E1 is Bizon. His eyes and attitude towards Hina seems to be the same.

Next: What happend to the dissappearing Hina in the Mecha? Logically she "went back to the future" but further than Aoba did. So there will be a time where he is withouth here because she went to the past. *thinking* :D

At last but not least: Age difference. She is always at the same age like him/does not really look older than him. So the time-travel stuff must happen pretty soon. If not Hina would be much older in the past or?

Back to the episode: It´s nice. They met again, she starts liking him and is already a bit "shy" - like in the past (1st EP). And we now know how she got the hairpin. GREAT.

Sad that only 5 EP left :/
Feb 24, 2014 12:09 PM

Apr 2011
so the Coupling system is based on "love"

haha
Feb 24, 2014 12:22 PM

Oct 2011
YES!!! He gave her the hairpin!!! Everything is set in motion!!
Feb 24, 2014 12:33 PM
Sep 2012
The hairpin is back to its "owner" and ready for another round of time travel.
Feb 24, 2014 12:34 PM
Nov 2009
Not gonna lie, Hina is hawt. I wonder what happened to Hina after she sent Aoba back to the future. There's only like 5 episodes left I just hope this show doesn't get rushed.
Feb 24, 2014 1:37 PM
Apr 2013
That cliche island scene that so many mecha anime have XD

But it was executed decently and I held my interest
Feb 24, 2014 1:42 PM

May 2013
A lot of alone time between Aoba and Hina. I feel like everything is gonna change from here on out.
Feb 24, 2014 1:45 PM

Sep 2013
billybob300c said:
17:09 hawt shot of hina on her back

-----------------------
1. Aoba x hina conversation didn't reveal anything new

2. No mecha fights & yet this ep drew me in. Need more like this one.

3. only 5 eps left. seems like a rushed ending will come at this pace

8/10

Hope it doens't END for good. There is too much stuff to work with for a 13 episode anime. Hope it gets a new season.
Feb 24, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2009
disappointed. i was hoping for some topless back to back, blushing moments by the fireplace. QQ
why you got to tone down my fan service sunrise.
Feb 24, 2014 3:25 PM

Jul 2011
Everything went egzackly as expected
Feb 24, 2014 3:39 PM

Jul 2012
ahahaha. It went like we expected it indeed. Now I wonder how are they going to fill up the plot holes with 5 episodes..
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Feb 24, 2014 4:23 PM

Dec 2013
I liked it, although it was cliché that two "enemy" people trapped on an island, it was necessary for the development of upcoming episodes.
Feb 24, 2014 4:27 PM

Jan 2013
Now the real story can begin!
Feb 24, 2014 4:46 PM

Feb 2014
Hina in a tank top!

This episode needed more fanservice. Those boobs demand it!
Feb 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Jun 2012
Every good mecha anime needs an island episode.
Feb 24, 2014 5:07 PM

Sep 2008
dragonlight said:
Every good mecha anime needs gets an island episode.

FTFY

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I did however, expect a bit more...flashiness. Especially considering that body :P
This anime mixes serious episodes and comedy yet it looks like a complete joke. Whole coupling system exists as one huge joking point. "Propose!" "Accept!" Really?
They should make their mind. While not a complete disaster of a show it's still somewhat lacking.

Also, I always feel sorry for secondary characters. While that girl on Aoba' ship and Bizon are both madly in love with main characters and both are ready to go to extremes for them, they have no chance whatsoever. They're doomed to being friends.
nina4lifeFeb 24, 2014 5:10 PM
Feb 24, 2014 5:30 PM

Aug 2013
The Commander is my favorite character in this show. He's great at getting them out of sticky situations, but he's always so laid back.
Commander: "What's the principle behind this?"
Elvira: "It's Love."
Commander: "Beautiful."
Feb 24, 2014 5:31 PM

Oct 2007
Finally after 3 or 4 episodes , Aoba now knows that it is not the same Hina he met... Seriously, how thick is his head with basketball to know such basic theory of going to the future and stuff..
^_^
Feb 24, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2008
nina4life said:
dragonlight said:
Every good mecha anime needs gets an island episode.

FTFY

Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I did however, expect a bit more...flashiness. Especially considering that body :P
This anime mixes serious episodes and comedy yet it looks like a complete joke. Whole coupling system exists as one huge joking point. "Propose!" "Accept!" Really?
They should make their mind. While not a complete disaster of a show it's still somewhat lacking.

Also, I always feel sorry for secondary characters. While that girl on Aoba' ship and Bizon are both madly in love with main characters and both are ready to go to extremes for them, they have no chance whatsoever. They're doomed to being friends.

Really can't say I agree there. While the coupling system might have some silly terminology, it's still handled fine. Proposals are used in regular situations as well. Just the person that programmed it had some interest in using English words. The system itself is pretty much just Gundam mixed with Pacific Rim.

The series is fine. It's making use of a lot of cliches but, it's not screwing them up. Even the island episode was done just as well as any of the Gundam series they bothered lifting it form. If they wanted two enemy pilots to have a chance to interact it was this kind of situation or actually having one of them get captured.

It did it's job in cluing Aoba in to the situation and changing Hina's mindset. She now has the information needed to go to the past and continue the loop. She knows about the attack, knows Dio's name, and even knows the fake name she'll eventually use.

While one can feel a bit sorry for Bizon and Mayuka it could be worse. Mayuka hasn't known Aoba much longer than this Hina so it's hardly a loss on her part. Bizon's a bit worse off, but being childhood friends doesn't mean Hina belongs to him. Plus I'm not sure about madly in love. Bizon's madness doesn't come until later I think XD.

taki_takaishi said:
Finally after 3 or 4 episodes , Aoba now knows that it is not the same Hina he met... Seriously, how thick is his head with basketball to know such basic theory of going to the future and stuff..

I think it's a denseness that is almost necessary. I mean if Aoba understood that this Hina is the past version of the one he knew then any interactions with her would be awkward. Either he'd be a bastard for intentionally manipulating her so she'd go save him in the past or he might hold off his distance and get himself killed. At least being a bit stupid allows them to get together naturally without ulterior motives.
Feb 24, 2014 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
Aoba x Hina in this episode were pretty nice.

Aoba gave Hina the hairpin.
Feb 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2013
Aoba and Hina stuck in a cave with some alone time together... Seems pretty legit. Some nice character development also :D.

Pretty much a perfect episode imo.

Nice ending btw, giving her the hairpin, hoping that she will remember a piece of her memories. The romance (though short) just gotten started. Oh yeah she look hot in that tank top. I wonder how these last 5 episodes will go, hoping that it will have a good ending.

Feb 24, 2014 8:32 PM

Aug 2013
The hairpin has finally been returned to the owner. This whole time travel thing is still confusing me tbh.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 24, 2014 8:48 PM
Jan 2014
I got a feeling Aoba just dug himself into another hole when he cut off communications with dio just to protect Hina. It seems like he would do anything for her despite not believing his story Aoba had some great character development he stuck to his story and stuck with it despite how much Hina hated him and he managed to save her and get her to trust him. Hina is probably going to be conflicted for a while.
Feb 24, 2014 9:31 PM

Aug 2009
Baddie007 said:

Well its a paradox really. Hina meeting Aoba, when he is brought to the future. That "future Hina" meets him as a soldier/ pilot. But only to go back in time and bring him to the future because she knew of his coupling with Dio. We can also insinuate that the two Hinas could actually be the same Hina (the one from the past and future) but that can only be so when this "future" Hina gets to know Aoba which is the road she is already leading towards. But theoretically there has to be one parallel or alternative world where there had to be a time when she actually met Aoba before he was a pilot for Luxon. and within that world I wonder what their relationship was, or would have been.

Anyway found this episode to be ok. Where did Hina get the shovel? I mean that bag didn't look big enough for all of that. lol

Feb 24, 2014 9:49 PM
Mar 2013
5 episodes left.
when Hina will meet Dio? at first I think Hina will be prisoner and will meet Dio in Cygnus because in episode 1 Hina act like she knew Aoba and Dio for some time.

If this anime only have 1 season then we will get super rush ending and a lot of unexplained plot for sure.
Feb 24, 2014 9:49 PM
Mar 2012
I'm hoping that it progressed the romance between them
Feb 25, 2014 1:13 AM
Feb 2014
zannet_t said:
This is rather surprising. They have what, 5 episodes left?
But in terms of pacing, I don't know how 5 episodes are going to make a complete story without having things be rushed. I mean, we're 8 episodes in and it still feels like a lot of things remain unexplored...

K4IZER said:

I HATE HINA at this point only wastes time

chill out and enjoy the show
in the end, everything is gonna make sense
Feb 25, 2014 1:58 AM
Apr 2013
Barion-Zara said:

Aoba was funny and pretty awesome this ep. I don't get how he still doesn't understand that she's not the same timeline Hina. Hopefully he'll become a BA from now on since he won't keep shouting "HINA HINA" like an idiot XD

I do wonder where the Hina he saw is now though? Good question from him.

Actually chances are, Aoba has already figured things out, it was simply subtext. Notice how when Aoba hands the hairpin to Hina, he speaks as though "current" Hina was the one he met, but as "current" Hina goes to correct him, he says "I know!" Implying that he worked things out for himself in the background. If this holds true as it stands right now, Aoba now realises/knows that Hina's behaviour was the result of the laws of time travel.
Feb 25, 2014 2:56 AM

Dec 2008
I was positive that Hina was going to betray Aoba. I was expecting her to knock him out while he was in communication with Dio. Well, what's a girl to do when she's fallen in love with the enemy that was needed to prove her innocence? I guess she'll be jumping ship to fight on Aoba's team.

Sent with Mal Updater
Feb 25, 2014 5:51 AM
Nov 2013
So Aoba will ntr a childhood friend, wow who said you can't win against childhood friend
Feb 25, 2014 7:12 AM
Jan 2014
They were people on other forums calling Aoba a slut and making jokes about him ntring bizon lmao.
Feb 25, 2014 8:03 AM

Feb 2008
Average episode, seeing Hina's dere side was nice and all at the end, but there was hardly any real progress, though Hina developing feelings for him is still better than nothing I guess. Seems we're heading for a second season, cause no way this will be resolved in 12 episodes.

Also that female commander has to be one of the most retarded commanders I've ever seen. Don't want to sound to sexist, but was it said she was from a noble family? Else she has to have slept her way to the top.

bagface36 said:
They were people on other forums calling Aoba a slut and making jokes about him ntring bizon lmao.
Takeoff31 said:
So Aoba will ntr a childhood friend, wow who said you can't win against childhood friend

So wait, there are people who actually feel enraged that Aoba would steal Hina from an awful character like Bizon? Not that that would even matter, cause all Bizon has is a one-sided crush so there is not even any stealing possible. Even more when its been obvious that Hina-Aoba were the otp from the start. So keep that ntr tag out of here.

Also Takeoff, you need to watch/read more anime/manga if you think childhood friends are unbeatable... Hardly the case at all.
Feb 25, 2014 9:32 AM

Nov 2008
A by-the-book execution of the island trope. I still enjoyed it.

Bizon isn't a bad character, he's just fated to be antagonist of Aoba. He reminds me of Yzak.
Feb 25, 2014 9:59 AM
Mar 2013
Cliché as fuck.
I like it!
/guiltypleasure
Feb 25, 2014 10:18 AM
Nov 2013
Excellent show, but If I could do one thing not only for this episode, but for previous episodes, I would not have given Aoba the idiot ball. Sure, you're going to act differently with the one person connected to you getting sent 70 years into the future, even if she's an enemy. Holding back when she's fighting you would be natural. Still, common sense would dictate that if she was ready to gun you down, she's not the Hina that you met 70 years ago. Aoba would be a better MC if he'd put 2 and 2 together all the way back in episode 3.
Feb 25, 2014 11:12 AM

Sep 2013
so aoba and hina got somewhat closer
dunno why he tries though :L she's not gonna remember
Feb 25, 2014 1:28 PM

Mar 2013
Cute episode i guess :X
I love Hina and Aoba characters
the series is kinda short i wonder how they gonna
end it, well will just have to wait and see :)
Feb 25, 2014 6:09 PM

Jul 2012
My bonding in a cave episode...made less progress than I would've hoped. Though that's just wistful thinking on my part.

Hina seeing Aoba in a better light and Aoba showing greater strength of character. This was a good episode :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

2 by Damolisher »»
Nov 9, 2021 12:09 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

78 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Feb 13, 2021 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.