Forum Settings
Forums

Are any battle shounen anime worthy of the title 'masterpiece'?

New
Which Battle Shounen is a masterpiece?
One Piece
18.9%
Naruto (Shippuden included)
11.4%
Bleach
2.8%
Fairy Tail
3.4%
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
1.1%
Hunter x Hunter 2011
30.3%
Dragon Ball Z
8.0%
Hokuto no Ken
1.2%
Yu Yu Hakusho
6.4%
None
16.4%
760 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 18, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:
bloodgods said:
the manga is a masterpiece at least

lol good joke.

But it is. I love how you've read 700+ chapters, yet still gave it a 1. Tsundere.

really people don't get tired of the tsundere joke thing?!. one piece is no where close to being a masterpiece, your fanboy self will disagree but idc.

Give me reasons and examples to back up your claims instead of repeating your assertion over and over. I am by no means a One Piece fanboy.
Feb 18, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2008
One Piece.
I know it has it's flaws, but i still think it's a masterpiece.
Feb 18, 2014 12:16 PM

Nov 2010
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:
bloodgods said:

lol good joke.

But it is. I love how you've read 700+ chapters, yet still gave it a 1. Tsundere.

really people don't get tired of the tsundere joke thing?!. one piece is no where close to being a masterpiece, your fanboy self will disagree but idc.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/171/a/2/pic__tsundere_smoker_by_sylvano_dragon-d54964j.jpg
Feb 18, 2014 12:17 PM

May 2010
judals said:
I don't know, I guess I understand.
Although to me, the writing has been abysmal for the past 2 years, the trolling's gotten worse than Kubo's, and the plot-holes are just being raked in.

I can see your point of view, but I strongly disagree about thing with Kubo. Current arc isn't anything good, especially compared to Arrancar arc imo.
sebrina8 said:
bloodgods said:

lol good joke.

Lolwut.
Feb 18, 2014 12:18 PM

Feb 2013
All battle shounens are masterpieces.
Feb 18, 2014 12:19 PM

Sep 2013
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:
bloodgods said:

lol good joke.

Give me reasons and examples to back up your claims instead of repeating your assertion over and over. I am by no means a One Piece fanboy.

why should i do that? why don't you give reasons and examples to back up the stupid claim of one piece being a masterpiece, the initial claim wasn't from me. why should I do all the work, while your fanboy self will disagree with whatever i see. something generic and cliche like one piece can never be a masterpiece.
Feb 18, 2014 12:19 PM

Jan 2014
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:
bloodgods said:

lol good joke.

Do you really think One piece deserves a 1? I mean sure it's no masterpiece, but it had some arcs that could be considered good... even very good.

Certain arcs did deserve a 1, like the latest 2, but that's no reason to give the WHOLE series a 1. Unless you have a specially terrible experience with the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2014 12:20 PM

Jun 2012
Ulquiorra1923 said:
All battle shounens are masterpieces.

http://mistakesofyouth.com/images/lupin-harhar.gif
Feb 18, 2014 12:22 PM

Sep 2013
judals said:
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:
bloodgods said:

lol good joke.

Do you really think One piece deserves a 1? I mean sure it's no masterpiece, but it had some arcs that could be considered good... even very good.

Certain arcs did deserve a 1, like the latest 2, but that's no reason to give the WHOLE series a 1. Unless you have a specially terrible experience with the series.

the 1 is for the wasted potential in the new world/time skip. the series was decent before that. now oda is just milking the cow, and throwing bones for the fans to get excited and hyped like Sabo being alive.

oda became a terrible writer and it's showing.
Feb 18, 2014 12:22 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:

why should i do that? why don't you give reasons and examples to back up the stupid claim of one piece being a masterpiece, the initial claim wasn't from me. why should I do all the work, while your fanboy self will disagree with whatever i see. something generic and cliche like one piece can never be a masterpiece.

Again, you make wild claims with no evidence to support them. A fanboy loves a series unconditionally and is unwilling to listen to criticism. I am inviting criticism. Don't assume I'm a fanbuy just because One Piece is in my favorites. I like the series to be sure, but not to the degree that I'm completely unreasonable with it.

I'll promise to actually think about your points. There are things I don't like about One Piece too.
Feb 18, 2014 12:24 PM

Oct 2012
Hunter x Hunter (2011) - Doesn't get repetitive, story arcs differ a lot but they maintain their great quality. The cast is very well written, I've even come to love all the characters that were introduced in the current arc alone. And of course props to Madhouse

Then there's Hajime no Ippo and Gintama(I do consider it as battle shounen, well unorthodox one at that)
Feb 18, 2014 12:25 PM

Aug 2013
Kitsu-nee said:
I can see your point of view, but I strongly disagree about thing with Kubo. Current arc isn't anything good, especially compared to Arrancar arc imo.
Quincy arc in the manga is way better than Arrancar arc. Yhwach actually gets shit done instead of talking non stop like Aizen, Quincy's are actually motivated by revenge in wanting to annihilate the Shinigami unlike the Espadas who are just Aizen's lapdogs. It's funny how the espadas hate shinigami yet they bow and serve a shinigami.
Feb 18, 2014 12:26 PM

Sep 2013
I DIDN'T MAKE THE INITIAL CLAIM. i only disagreed with it, hence why i don't need to back up shit. it's the other way around YOU should back it up.

if you think one piece is a masterpiece, then you are a fanboy because you are ignoring it's gigantic flaws and proceeding to claim it's a masterpiece. this is no head scratching matter.

by the time i list all the flaws this thread will be locked.
Feb 18, 2014 12:29 PM

Feb 2013
Why are you guys wasting your time arguing with ''that being'' ?
Feb 18, 2014 12:32 PM

Dec 2013
I haven't seen any of those yet. Which of those polled received the best character work? Any consensus on that? I'm probably not a fan of battle scene after battle scene styled shows but I'm open minded.
Feb 18, 2014 12:35 PM

Jan 2014
jayss said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) - Doesn't get repetitive, story arcs differ a lot but they maintain their great quality. The cast is very well written, I've even come to love all the characters that were introduced in the current arc alone. And of course props to Madhouse

Just imagine Madhouse kicking the ass of the other studios who are 'veterans' when it comes to shonen and long running series.

sebrina8 said:

the 1 is for the wasted potential in the new world/time skip. the series was decent before that. now oda is just milking the cow, and throwing bones for the fans to get excited and hyped

I actually agree with the bone throwing part. A lot of praise in the series comes from how some characters or incidents were teased rather than the actual story... or even the fights. And usually when we arrive at it, it turns out to be extremely underwhelming.
They hyped Fishman island not for one arc, not two, but a whole saga, and we get... Fishman Island arc for that.

But still, unlike naruto, the series isn't in a constant nose-dive. It's very inconsistent, can have really bad arcs, but still proved to jump back up afterward, even if for a very short while, it's worth it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2014 12:38 PM

May 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
Quincy arc in the manga is way better than Arrancar arc. Yhwach actually gets shit done instead of talking non stop like Aizen, Quincy's are actually motivated by revenge in wanting to annihilate the Shinigami unlike the Espadas who are just Aizen's lapdogs. It's funny how the espadas hate shinigami yet they bow and serve a shinigami.

Disagree. While the motives are indeed interesting and, well, making sense, even the setting is perfectly fine, the rest is pretty bland imo. Fights aren't that engaging, most of the enemies aren't at ALL interesting or memorable, I didn't even bother to remember their names so far. Compared to Grimmjow or Ulquiorra, or the rest of Espada they are nothing remarkable.
Yeah, arrancar arc was full of cliches, this whole saving damsel in distress, Aizen was a typical badass antagonist, but still charismatic enough to make the readers enjoy the whole battle. So yeah.
Feb 18, 2014 12:38 PM

Jun 2012
sebrina8 said:

I really do have yet to see a legitimate complaint as to why post-skip One Piece is "vastly inferior"

Let's not forget it's on the -3rd arc- while the first was basically there to show off their new moves/tell the reader what -really- happened with the Fishman Pirates/reveal what changed in the world during the SH's hiatus and the 2nd was basically set-up for the current one.

I don't even think Fishman Island was an amazing arc but it isn't nearly as bad as many people make it out to be and Punk Hazard was fun as hell, even more so when you read it all in one sitting.

But then again these same people usually think Skypiea can be skipped and Water Seven is when One Piece "really starts" so w/e.

Honestly my biggest complaint is Sanji's character being completely taken over by his love of women to the point where he's basically a joke character that can fight really well :/
Feb 18, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2011
judals said:
jayss said:

Just imagine Madhouse kicking the ass of the other studios who are 'veterans' when it comes to shonen and long running series.

sebrina8 said:

the 1 is for the wasted potential in the new world/time skip. the series was decent before that. now oda is just milking the cow, and throwing bones for the fans to get excited and hyped

I actually agree with the bone throwing part. A lot of praise in the series comes from how some characters or incidents were teased rather than the actual story... or even the fights. And usually when we arrive at it, it turns out to be extremely underwhelming.
They hyped Fishman island not for one arc, not two, but a whole saga, and we get... Fishman Island arc for that.

But still, unlike naruto, the series isn't in a constant nose-dive. It's very inconsistent, can have really bad arcs, but still proved to jump back up afterward, even if for a very short while, it's worth it.

In defence of the "veteran" studios, I have to say Madhouse people are lucky they are working on a Manga that started even before One Piece, they have a lot of material to work with and they don't need to add fillers or drag it with terrible pacing.
Feb 18, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:

if you think one piece is a masterpiece, then you are a fanboy because you are ignoring it's gigantic flaws and proceeding to claim it's a masterpiece. this is no head scratching matter.

I never said a masterpiece has to have no flaws. A masterpiece for me just has to be somethign that I consider to be outstanding and unique.
Fine, I'll write about why I believe that One Piece is most deserving of the title, compared to other series listed and you can dispute my claims. That fair?

1) Straight forward and organized plot that gives a clear direction of where the story is heading. The island to island travel to reach the final island gives us a clear goal and idea of where the series will end. Better than stuff like Fairy Tail and Bleach which seems to be just wandering around randomly. The fruit powers are organized very neatly in a way that is easy to understand.
2) Unique and creative Islands keeps the reader constantly interested. Each new arc literally brings a whole new world. The beginning of an arc explains a bit about each island and it's inhabitants.
3) Pandaman. Stuff like Pandaman and other random crap Oda inserts into his manga is awesome.
4) Balanced fights. You never know who's gonna win. Logia fruits can be countered by haki, etc.
5) Interesting characters. Luffy is't your typical retarded and hungry shounen mc. He shows remarkable intelligence and leadership skills. All the characters have their own personal quirks and interesting backstories. Each individual character has his/own personal goals, not like in Fairy Tail where everyone just seems to want to be best namakas 4ever.
Feb 18, 2014 12:41 PM

Sep 2013
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (your vote) followed by Naruto.

As for manga, I think Medaka box is worth the mention.
Feb 18, 2014 12:42 PM

Jun 2009
Probably Hunter x Hunter depending on how they end it, the Phantom Troupe and what has been aired of Chimera Ant are the best arcs I believe I have seen in Shounen. And the quality of the series as a whole has been very consistent, at least in my eyes. I have a strong feeling the One Piece manga will compete, though, whenever I actually sit down and read the damn thing. The anime has really dragged since around Water 7, which hurt otherwise strong content.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 18, 2014 12:43 PM

Jan 2014
Valaskjalf said:
judals said:
jayss said:

sebrina8 said:

In defence of the "veteran" studios, I have to say Madhouse people are lucky they are working on a Manga that started even before One Piece, they have a lot of material to work with and they don't need to add fillers or drag it with terrible pacing.

One Piece, 1997
Hunter x Hunter 1998

Either way, fillers are no excuse. Whether they add them like naruto, mash them in like one piece, or halt production like Fairy Tail, the canon is just not as well done as Madhouse is doing.

Besides, for shows of the most popular series ever, you'd think the production would at least be bearable.
Not to mention, the 1999 anime still had virtually no fillers, except for 4 episodes according to the wiki.
GrunbeldFeb 18, 2014 12:46 PM
Feb 18, 2014 12:43 PM

Apr 2013
No because battle shounen are shit.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 18, 2014 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Valaskjalf said:

It's a remake so obviously it will be better. They don't need to add fillers or padding. It's not even close to being a fair comparison to studios like Toei and Perriot which are original adaptions and not remakes. Same goes for Bones remaking FMA.
Feb 18, 2014 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
No chance..
An anime about just beating the crap out of each other can be a masterpiece to only sadists and masochists.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 18, 2014 12:47 PM

Feb 2013
I pick: none of the above!
i voted for yyh cause its the only one i've seen ^^"
Feb 18, 2014 12:48 PM

Oct 2012
skyzblue said:
No chance..
An anime about just beating the crap out of each other can be a masterpiece to only sadists and masochists.
Accurate definition of shounen or ignorance at best
Feb 18, 2014 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
judals said:
DrGeroCreation said:
judals said:
DrGeroCreation said:
A perfected Dragon Ball series created by Akira Toriyama, Naho Ooishi and the writers of Dragon Ball online would be a masterpiece and completely annihilate the big 3 in popularity.

What's happened to the online game? Still running? Popular? FTP?
Discontinued I think but that is irrelevant to my point.

Still I don't think Toriyama would be able to write a masterpiece. He's good at coming up with fresh ideas but not as good with putting them together and using them in an excellent way.
He is a master at character design and action. That's why I included Naho Ooishi and the Dragon Ball online writers, a collaboration is needed to create a Dragon Ball masterpiece. AT is a good writer Trunks, Android and Cell sagas prove that.

And he should've ended it at that.. Or take a break because while the Buu Saga had good ideas it was a soup sandwich in the end.. He lost interest by that time but hell it's money
Feb 18, 2014 12:56 PM
Mar 2013
Cupquake said:
sebrina8 said:

I never said a masterpiece has to have no flaws. A masterpiece for me just has to be somethign that I consider to be outstanding and unique.
Fine, I'll write about why I believe that One Piece is most deserving of the title, compared to other series listed and you can dispute my claims. That fair?

1) Straight forward and organized plot that gives a clear direction of where the story is heading. The island to island travel to reach the final island gives us a clear goal and idea of where the series will end. Better than stuff like Fairy Tail and Bleach which seems to be just wandering around randomly. The fruit powers are organized very neatly in a way that is easy to understand.
2) Unique and creative Islands keeps the reader constantly interested. Each new arc literally brings a whole new world. The beginning of an arc explains a bit about each island and it's inhabitants.
3) Pandaman. Stuff like Pandaman and other random crap Oda inserts into his manga is awesome.
4) Balanced fights. You never know who's gonna win. Logia fruits can be countered by haki, etc.
5) Interesting characters. Luffy is't your typical retarded and hungry shounen mc. He shows remarkable intelligence and leadership skills. All the characters have their own personal quirks and interesting backstories. Each individual character has his/own personal goals, not like in Fairy Tail where everyone just seems to want to be best namakas 4ever.
one criticism I have of one piece is that the series as a whole feels like a big filler, or at least some episodes and arcs do because all they literally do is travel to an island, beat up the bad guys and leave

sometimes I get 10 mins into an ep and have to check if its a filler I'm watching. I've only seen 93 episodes but this has happened a lot
Feb 18, 2014 12:59 PM

Aug 2013
TheGrandSage23 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
judals said:
DrGeroCreation said:
judals said:
DrGeroCreation said:
A perfected Dragon Ball series created by Akira Toriyama, Naho Ooishi and the writers of Dragon Ball online would be a masterpiece and completely annihilate the big 3 in popularity.

What's happened to the online game? Still running? Popular? FTP?
Discontinued I think but that is irrelevant to my point.

Still I don't think Toriyama would be able to write a masterpiece. He's good at coming up with fresh ideas but not as good with putting them together and using them in an excellent way.
He is a master at character design and action. That's why I included Naho Ooishi and the Dragon Ball online writers, a collaboration is needed to create a Dragon Ball masterpiece. AT is a good writer Trunks, Android and Cell sagas prove that.

And he should've ended it at that.. Or take a break because while the Buu Saga had good ideas it was a soup sandwich in the end.. He lost interest by that time but hell it's money
He just had a lot of fun with that saga I don't think he lost interest. Buu saga was like a throw back to the original Dragon Ball with its wackiness. Eventhough I'm not a big fan of Buu he is without a doubt one of the most unique and interesting characters in DBZ.
Feb 18, 2014 1:00 PM

Jan 2014
Kitsu-nee said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Disagree. While the motives are indeed interesting and, well, making sense, even the setting is perfectly fine, the rest is pretty bland imo. Fights aren't that engaging, most of the enemies aren't at ALL interesting or memorable, I didn't even bother to remember their names so far. Compared to Grimmjow or Ulquiorra, or the rest of Espada they are nothing remarkable.
Yeah, arrancar arc was full of cliches, this whole saving damsel in distress, Aizen was a typical badass antagonist, but still charismatic enough to make the readers enjoy the whole battle. So yeah.

I've only seen up to the first battle of the quincy, but it was very superior to its counterparts at the time for me (Shinobi war, Punk Hazard), the Stern Ritter feel very well done as a unit somehow.
It's still a lot more interesting than the whole crush-tsundere thing in Naruto, or the other tsundere thing, and lately, the OTHER tsundere thing.

Kaimon237 said:
sebrina8 said:

I really do have yet to see a legitimate complaint as to why post-skip One Piece is "vastly inferior"

Let's not forget it's on the -3rd arc- while the first was basically there to show off their new moves/tell the reader what -really- happened with the Fishman Pirates/reveal what changed in the world during the SH's hiatus and the 2nd was basically set-up for the current one.

Honestly my biggest complaint is Sanji's character being completely taken over by his love of women to the point where he's basically a joke character that can fight really well :/

I see this as addressing everyone so I hope I don't sound like I'm butting in:
First of all, you don't need a whole year of release material to show that off, usually people do it in 5 episodes max, if the series is extremely long. Return to shabondy arc would have sufficed. FI itself was really badly written. The events that happened were worse than a cliche. The villain himself was horrible and had no redeeming features. Nothing at all. Caesar was practically the same, the whole arc was trying to make us hate him by making him that typical evil guy, just so he can be punched in the face. I don't know how to explain this but these 2 arcs had no story in them. It's too early to judge Dressrosa, and the villain is definitely more interesting, but the meat of the arc sounds like it's gonna be the same quality.
Feb 18, 2014 1:00 PM

Jun 2013
The poll is a bit disappointing. How sad.
Feb 18, 2014 1:04 PM

Sep 2013
Cupquake said:

HAHAHA LMAO. Those are your fucking reasons.

1/ More like a very simplistic and childish plot that is devoid of any decent level of depth and complexity. It's repetitive crap, going from an island to another meeting people solving their shit etc. rinse and repeat. Organized? how? they are just there, every once in a while a stupid looking character show up with a fruit power befitting of their stupid look. The powers feel like they are written by a child, they basically told a kid to think of the weirdest, random and childish powers you can think off. Yes easy to understand, we wouldn't want the kids to be confused about these simplistic and vapid powers that don't have any complexity in design and purpose.

2/ Yeah so.. -_-. It's an adventure series. They certainly didn't look that creative to me.

3/ facepalm. You think it's a masterpiece because it has joke characters and easter eggs?...

4/ More like shitty ass fights. One Piece should learn a thing or two from HxH, but the fights are not the only thing. They lack strategy, geography, intensity and seriousness. Inserting random retarded joke even though some fights are supposed to have serious consequences (ex: kuma in thriller park)

5/ LOL. one piece characters are one dimensional and very generic. Luffy is a mentally challenged idiot, zoro is the silent badass, Sanji is the idiot who loves women and is sexist because of it, Nami is the bossy bitch, Robin is the mysterious and silent character. He doesn't show jack shit, there hasn't been any scene where luffy displayed something I can call ''intelligence'', the leadership is nothing to write home about. All of their goals are cliche and simplistic.

A not typical Shounen MC would be Gon not Luffy. In fact Luffy is the one of the characters that are famous for being a stupid typical shounen MC, since he is basically a rip off of Goku.

It seems like you are explaining why one piece is better than fairy tail which I don't even know why you think that's relevant to one piece being a master piece.

In all honestly those were one of the shittiest reasons I've ever come across. I don't like the series and I could have come up with better reasons. SMH.
Feb 18, 2014 1:05 PM

Apr 2013
JD2411 said:
one criticism I have of one piece is that the series as a whole feels like a big filler, or at least some episodes and arcs do because all they literally do is travel to an island, beat up the bad guys and leave

sometimes I get 10 mins into an ep and have to check if its a filler I'm watching. I've only seen 93 episodes but this has happened a lot

Yeah I felt that way too at first. it actually took me until the Water 7 arc to start really liking One Piece, before that I thought it was ok, but nothing special. I think it's one of those series that really grows on you as time passes.
Feb 18, 2014 1:08 PM

Oct 2010
I guess One Piece because it's pretty damn fun, other than that, I don't care.
Feb 18, 2014 1:15 PM

Jun 2011
The lack of Rurouni Kenshin on the poll makes me sad :(
So I'll vote for my second favorite Battle Shounen, which is One Piece (followed closely by FMA and Hunter X Hunter).

Feb 18, 2014 1:17 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:
lots of text

wanna post that one more time?
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 18, 2014 1:21 PM

Jan 2014
Masterpieces? Easy: One Piece, FMA & Rurouni Kenshin.
I really like Naruto, Gintama and HxH, but the first 3 I listed are the more complete stories with more to offer in context of their story, and the steadiest consistency.

Of course it would be ridiculous to think that there is any anime without flaws. So those that complain that someone names this or that anime despite is flaws needs to re-evaluate their criteria.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!

May 2010
Cupquake said:
JD2411 said:

Yeah I felt that way too at first. it actually took me until the Water 7 arc to start really liking One Piece, before that I thought it was ok, but nothing special. I think it's one of those series that really grows on you as time passes.

Everyone keep saying that, but I was hooked almost since the very begining. Calling it a filler is a bit too much though imo, it's supposed to be a long journey, that's what makes this series so specific compared to other shounen manga. That's just the way Oda took. Well, I can see why some people could dislike it.

Sep 2013
Emnay said:
sebrina8 said:
lots of text

wanna keep shit posting? since ya know it's literally the only thing you do around these forums.
Feb 18, 2014 1:23 PM
Mar 2013
sebrina8 said:
Emnay said:
sebrina8 said:
lots of text

wanna keep shit posting? since ya know it's literally the only thing you do around these forums.
JD used burn heal on Emnay

It's not very effective!!
Feb 18, 2014 1:24 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:

1/ More like a very simplistic and childish plot that is devoid of any decent level of depth and complexity. It's repetitive crap, going from an island to another meeting people solving their shit etc. rinse and repeat. Organized? how? they are just there, every once in a while a stupid looking character show up with a fruit power befitting of their stupid look. The powers feel like they are written by a child, they basically told a kid to think of the weirdest, random and childish powers you can think off. Yes easy to understand, we wouldn't want the kids to be confused about these simplistic and vapid powers that don't have any complexity in design and purpose.

2/ Yeah so.. -_-. It's an adventure series. They certainly didn't look that creative to me.

3/ facepalm. You think it's a masterpiece because it has joke characters and easter eggs?...

4/ More like shitty ass fights. One Piece should learn a thing or two from HxH, but the fights are not the only thing. They lack strategy, geography, intensity and seriousness. Inserting random retarded joke even though some fights are supposed to have serious consequences (ex: kuma in thriller park)

5/ LOL. one piece characters are one dimensional and very generic. Luffy is a mentally challenged idiot, zoro is the silent badass, Sanji is the idiot who loves women and is sexist because of it, Nami is the bossy bitch, Robin is the mysterious and silent character. He doesn't show jack shit, there hasn't been any scene where luffy displayed something I can call ''intelligence'', the leadership is nothing to write home about. All of their goals are cliche and simplistic.

A not typical Shounen MC would be Gon not Luffy. In fact Luffy is the one of the characters that are famous for being a stupid typical shounen MC, since he is basically a rip off of Goku.

It seems like you are explaining why one piece is better than fairy tail which I don't even know why you think that's relevant to one piece being a master piece.

In all honestly those were one of the shittiest reasons I've ever come across. I don't like the series and I could have come up with better reasons. SMH.

You don't have to continue to insult me just because I disagree with you. I don't see how any of my reasons were shitty, that's the way I viewed the series. I own volumes 1-55 and formed my opinions after many re-reads.

Remember that I said out of the shounen series in the poll, One Piece is the most deserving imo. That's why I was comparing it to Fairy Tail, although I can continue to do so to other shounen I have seen. Unfortunately, I have not read HxH (I plan to do so in the future).

Responding to your points:
1) In short, I like OP for it's simplicity. I never found it repetitive because of the new islands and characters that are presented in each island. I don't need for it to be complex, simply entertaining.

2) Compared to other adventure manga I have read, OP comes out on top. For example, Akame ga Kill just presents you with random landscapes that has a generic village waiting to be destroyed. I made this conclusion based on my own limited experience. If I find a shounen with a better and more creative world, I'll change my mind. For now, One Piece has impressed me the most.

3) While re-reading, these easter eggs are simply a bonus. It's fun and at least Oda puts in the effort.

4) I have not seen HxH so I can't adequately respond. However, I have always been a fan of the more senseless brawl type of fight in comparison to a more calculated and strategic one.

I agree with the jokes. Some of them work, but a lot feel out of place (like when Sanji fought Bon Clay, that was awful). That would be one of the parts of OP I don't like.

5) When Ussop was about to leave the crew, Luffy displays his sensibility and intelligence by analyzing the situation. Zoro is surprisingly compassionate behind his steely exterior. Nami and Robin are kinda shitty though, Oda isn't very good at writing female characters.
I like their goals because it gives them a reason to be a part of the crew and to explore the world and their own dreams. The crew member's goals are the most compelling part of OP imo.
Feb 18, 2014 1:24 PM

Jan 2014
Kitsu-nee said:
Cupquake said:
JD2411 said:

Everyone keep saying that, but I was hooked almost since the very begining. Calling it a filler is a bit too much though imo, it's supposed to be a long journey, that's what makes this series so specific compared to other shounen manga. That's just the way Oda took. Well, I can see why some people could dislike it.

I agree. Part of the appeal of One Piece is that it offers a lot of comedy, and those first few episodes of OP kept me far more entertained than a lot of its counterparts, and entire other series combined!
Anyone calling it filler at this point have clearly not been paying attention. It easily has one of the most intricately connected plots in shounen. The only ones that seem like a continuous filler at this point are Hunter x Hunter & Fairy Tail.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 18, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:
Emnay said:
sebrina8 said:
lots of text

I don't see how that's a bad thing, insulting someones opinion on a Chinese cartoon isn't that much more impressive.
an egomaniac and a fool

Feb 18, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
sebrina8 said:
Emnay said:
sebrina8 said:
lots of text

Shitposting master race ftw~!
Feb 18, 2014 1:27 PM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
calling it filler at this point have clearly not been paying attention. It easily has one of the most intricately connected plots in shounen. The only ones that seem like a continuous filler at this point are Hunter x Hunter & Fairy Tail.

People can easily replace any of these names with the other. It's just a bold claim not backed up. Could you clarify on the "intricate" part?

Because believe me, many episodes in one piece feel very fillerish.

Dec 2012
There are no battle shonen on that poll that I would consider worthy of being a masterpiece although if there were one with potential to be, it would be One Piece depending on how the One Piece reveal and World War is handled.

If FMA: B is considered a battle shonen then that is definitely a masterpiece. Hunter x Hunter is easily the next best shonen on that poll but it doesn't quite have an epic scale enough for me to consider a masterpiece. Maybe if Togashi actually starts writing again Hunter x Hunter can reach its peak and become worthy of that title.

Oct 2013
There should be an option for "none". Battle shounens are too formulaic and cliche to be considered masterpieces. That doesn't mean that they aren't good, but all of them are basically the same things. Lots of screaming and fighting.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Feb 18, 2014 1:29 PM

Jan 2014
sebrina8 said:
Cupquake said:

I'm not even going to bother with the more ridiculous comments you made, but I'm just going to point out that Gon shares far more with Goku character-wise than Luffy.
People keep on confusing Goku's naivete with stupidity. After watching DBZ, it is clear that Goku is far more naive than stupid, having come from a secluded past. Gon is also far more naive than stupid, while Luffy is plain stupid.
Both Gon and Goku share a degree of selflessness, while Luffy is as selfish as they come.

I just find people that make that comparison are making a big assumption or are just plain ignorant about the actual characters.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (31) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 17 minutes ago

4 by Teirayo »»
24 seconds ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 3 hours ago

12 by BitChilly »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

104 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 9 hours ago

27 by BitChilly »»
5 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

22 by BitChilly »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.