Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 18, 2009 3:25 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
man that poor journalist everything he does is futile
Jul 28, 2009 4:20 AM

Sep 2007
Because he's trying to stop something he shouldn't be messing with.

Sep 19, 2009 4:03 PM

Aug 2009
Damn. I think the mayor is innocent, and even though he is, he still got sent to hell. I guess you can't stop the Jigoku Shoujo.

Only the detective and her daughter can solve this mystery! XD
Sep 24, 2009 12:59 AM

Oct 2008
I don't get that part of this episode. I mean what is the point of all the trial scenes and tellign the person to repent and then letting hell girl have them after, if innocent people get sent there too. Kind of destroys what I thought was going on.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/Istra
Nov 8, 2009 4:50 PM

Apr 2009
Moonfrost said:
Damn. I think the mayor is innocent

He is, that's why he just woke up in the boat...
:((
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Nov 19, 2009 4:53 AM

Aug 2008
Oh. That's interesting. So they don't let suffer "good" people when they're sending them to Hell...

Dec 29, 2009 12:00 PM

Nov 2009
so did he kill him??? was that his regret???
Mar 20, 2010 4:13 PM

Aug 2008
This episode sucks. It clears nothing up.
We don't know if the son or the mayor is responsible in the end. (although I have a gut feeling the mayor's innocent)
May 2, 2010 4:06 AM

Jun 2009
The son did it, i'm sure. This episode proves to me that the so called "victims" in this show are often just as bad as the people they send to hell. Powerful episode imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 17, 2010 3:11 AM

Oct 2009
Mizore951 said:
so did he kill him??? was that his regret???

That he couldn't apologize...

He was a really good guy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2010 1:14 PM

Apr 2010
I kinda liked the eps where you got the story from the curser's point of view, this is getting a little too "Good vs Bad". And Hell Girl has way too little screen-time ;D. This is what it needs to go on, thou...
Still love this anime, it's supreme!
Oct 17, 2010 1:34 AM

Oct 2009
WTF that STUPID SELFISH girl the mayor was innocent dammit D;
Oct 17, 2010 10:48 AM

Sep 2009
I guess Ai doesn't accept based on if the recipient is actually guilty
but just the feelings of the person making the request.
I believe the mayor was innocent.
The girl made it clear she didnt give a damn.
You could see Ai was awkward at the end with what to say to him. maybe she felt he didnt deserve it too.

But yes I also wonder what was the point of previously asking ppl to repent.
Dec 25, 2010 2:57 PM

Dec 2010
MeritasDec 25, 2010 3:03 PM
Dec 25, 2010 3:01 PM

Dec 2010
Istra said:
I don't get that part of this episode. I mean what is the point of all the trial scenes and tellign the person to repent and then letting hell girl have them after, if innocent people get sent there too. Kind of destroys what I thought was going on.

Humans are complicated creatures. Imagine it that way. She was ready to pay the highest cost, her soul. At that point, do you think that she would hesitate on sending someone else? I guess she thought that her father deserves to be revenged no mather what's the cost. Even if it's not only her soul, but someone innocent's too.
It doesn't matter anymore...
I can understand her completely.

One of best eppisodes.
Dec 25, 2010 3:02 PM

Dec 2010
Istra said:

Humans are complicated creatures. Imagine it that way. She was ready to pay the highest cost, her soul. At that point, do you think that she would hesitate on sending someone else? I guess she thought that her father deserves to be revenged no mather what's the cost. Even if it's not only her soul, but someone innocent's too. "It doesn't matter anymore..." I can understand her completely.

One of best eppisodes.
Dec 26, 2010 8:00 PM

Jan 2010
that mayor didnt deserved to go to hell >.<
Feb 17, 2011 1:01 AM

Oct 2008
What a selfish girl.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Apr 16, 2011 6:29 PM
Jul 2009
What the fuck.

I am now dropping this anime because of this episode. That's fucking stupid that it doesn't matter if the person is guilty or not. It's kinda obvious that the mayor didn't do it.. but still, it didn't even tell you if he was or not!

Ugh. What a stupid anime.
Aug 17, 2011 6:44 PM

Feb 2010
As Sassy Gay Friend would say: she's a stupid bitch
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Oct 25, 2011 3:39 PM

Sep 2010
I'm now fairly sure that Ai wants to be stopped.
I'll be interested in Ai's reaction when the journalist does stop someone.

Seems the [repent-&gt;don't go to hell] theory is out the window by now,
seeing as how those who would have apologised aren't given the chance.
Jan 24, 2012 2:39 PM

Jan 2012
Wow, this show is kinda contridicting itself now, at the beggining they were asking the 'sinners' to repent.. yet regardless of whether the mayor was innocent or not (which i have a feeling he was tbh) they get sent to hell anyway, you could even tell at the end with Ai being all akward and not really knowing what to say! Im really confused now, this anime needs to do something, or at least explain... i dont want to drop it but,... atm thats where im heading :/
May 5, 2012 6:21 PM

Jun 2011
This was a really good episode
It proves the fact that in the end, Jigoku Shoujo just exacts revenge, whether the person really is good or bad, guilty or innocent. It was really sad, but I think this is an interesting addition to everything we know so far.
I feel a bit sorry for the journalist, but he annoys me quite a bit. He's messing with things that don't belong to him. I'm also dying to know what's the relation between Enma and the journalist's daughter >.<
May 7, 2012 10:46 PM

Sep 2011
I am very disappointed that she actually pulled the string... the mayor seemed like a nice guy, its unfortunate.
May 13, 2012 9:00 AM

Feb 2012
Istra said:

I don't know if "destroy" is the right word, but it certainly represents a major shift in tone. I have a feeling that the moral ambiguity of this episode is going to be a major theme in the second half of this season.
Aug 5, 2012 4:43 PM

May 2012
Hmm not very tolerant but well let's so what happens next!
Aug 14, 2012 9:33 PM

Aug 2010
So I guess Jigoku shoujo works on good people too. The girl in this episode was pretty annoying. She deserves to go to hell.
Sep 14, 2012 8:12 PM

Apr 2011
Anitnelav said:
What a selfish girl.
Let me murder your father and lmk how you feel.
FlubberFuqHead said:
What the fuck.

I am now dropping this anime because of this episode. That's fucking stupid that it doesn't matter if the person is guilty or not. It's kinda obvious that the mayor didn't do it.. but still, it didn't even tell you if he was or not!

Ugh. What a stupid anime.
Whoever the killer is, its up to interpretation and don't be fooled by his nice antics, even if he meant well, he made the choice to silent that person, to save the seniors. This is my assumption anyways.

and to Make a note, you did not drop the series and went off to finish the third season as well. LOL TARD!
Nov 15, 2012 12:10 AM

Jul 2011
I think the mayor is genuinely a good person, too bad he kept silent about his son, it's clear if you look at the detail, his son is the one who killed the girl's father, and the mayor knows/suspects it.
The fact that he keep silent about his son killing the man is good enough to send him to hell. but not eternally i guess :P
Jun 16, 2013 4:07 PM

Jun 2012
millo said:
I think the mayor is genuinely a good person, too bad he kept silent about his son, it's clear if you look at the detail, his son is the one who killed the girl's father, and the mayor knows/suspects it.
The fact that he keep silent about his son killing the man is good enough to send him to hell. but not eternally i guess :P

exactly my thought. it was pretty clear that he knew or suspected his son for killing him.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jan 25, 2014 8:00 PM

Jan 2010
They keep upping the levels of moral ambiguity.

No one is 100% right, no one is 100% wrong, and all that's left is a lot of bad feelings. This show is driving that "revenge doesn't work" thing really hard now.
Apr 10, 2014 1:43 AM

Aug 2010
Shibata is so freaking incompetent, he didn't even mention how he has talked with someone who spent his entire life being haunted by the covenant and then ending up in the hell. I honestly kept expecting the moment he asks her what her father would think. If he was a good person, and we can assume he was for most of his life, he is probably in heaven, since he was most likely killed. And her beloved girl, whom was the most important person to him in the world will suffer in hell for all eternity. The point wasn't even made and I found this to be really frustrating.
May 15, 2014 5:59 AM

Jul 2012
Thank you for destroying lives you selfish cow.........you have to admit that you know the major is innocent and it looked like he did commit suicide so,

This is the better episode because it's not all black and white but all a misunderstanding and that's what I like to see .......No one's to blame but she lets old folks go on the street .........very selfish
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jun 17, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2012
xanusuri said:
Because he's trying to stop something he shouldn't be messing with.

No he's doing the right thing by trying to stop idiots from doing an evil act
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jul 1, 2014 5:37 AM
Dec 2013
Haha people are getting really sensitive over this stuff. One, it's a TV show. Second, it's psychological show, and it's supposed to make you think. Happy endings aren't necessary.

Shibata is getting to be one of the most annoying characters here. I hate people who think they're so big, they alone can mess with something bigger than them. How self centered. Just leave it alone.
Oct 3, 2014 1:34 AM

Nov 2013
So the mayor didn't actually commit those crimes and she was just trying to earn a profit? What a fucking selfish bitch. Why the fuck did she kill the mayor when he didn't actually kill his father? What an idiot. Definitely one of the most evil characters in the whole show except for maybe the pet shop owner. That guy was a fucking bastard.

Oct 9, 2014 12:08 PM

Jan 2014
OriginANIME said:
I am very disappointed that she actually pulled the string... the mayor seemed like a nice guy, its unfortunate.
Oct 9, 2015 9:42 AM

Jun 2014
What a crazy episode. Now I definitely know what is burdening Ai. Her grandma is always asking her what's wrong and what not... I think Ai hopes to give someone that doll (or not in general) and have them decide to not pull the string. She seemed disappointed to me when that girl pulled the string. Makes me wonder if this whole thing isn't Ai's doing but something that she is forced to do.

Poor mayor though. He didn't deserve Hell. I know the girl isn't entirely crazy for feeling the way she feels but to value your own revenge over the lives of other people is selfish. Now all those elderly people were affected by her decision.

Show really makes you think.
Mar 20, 2016 11:32 AM

Mar 2015
Did she just killed a good person? Whoa okay. I guess not everyone who wins is a good guy.

Sep 22, 2016 5:34 AM

Mar 2012
This show would be much better if we actually have some people who don't pull the string or if they actually only sent "bad people" to hell after doing their little investigations. Wtf is even the point of the investigations they do if they're just gonna send anyone who's a target to hell?

Clearly the mayor didn't do it and it was most likely the son who committed the crime, hence why he pretty much tried to bribe her in exchange for her shutting up about the whole situation. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew it was his son who got her father killed which is why he regretted not being able to apologize to her.
Sep 29, 2016 9:45 AM

Apr 2016
That was unfair, he didn't deserve her revenge.
Jan 3, 2017 5:39 PM

Sep 2013
I have a feeling the son was the one who killed that girl's father. They mayor might have deserved to go to Hell. It's hard to know for sure without knowing what "concessions" he made to the mob. Regardless, this was a situation that resulted with no winners.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 28, 2017 7:46 AM

May 2015
Well, to me mayor was not guilty. His son was the one.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 10, 2017 5:32 AM

Jan 2015
Im speechless... it precisely shows that its all about vengeance and not about who is right or not. Girl was hundred percent wrong. Not only the whole idea of taking revenge in that manner is just wrong. but also that she doesnt know for sure who to avert her anger to. She doesnt for sure know if mayor is guilty but she just took his life like that? Ai seemed to be really upset (She didnt want to do that)
Also it proves that mayor is innocent. The fact that he woke up on the boat rather than having the Ipen shindemeru or asking him to repent. Since he was innocent he just woke up on the boat. And you know its the first time he met Ai since he said "where am I" when he woke up and he had a surprise on his face seeing Ai so its his first time encountering her.
Feel bad for Hajime that all his efforts are pointless pretty much.
Jul 18, 2017 12:50 AM

Feb 2010
To this day I think this episode need an explanation from the writer as it to full of contradictions why ask them to repent if you kill them anyway
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 25, 2017 4:04 PM

Dec 2014
I want one of these episodes to end with the person not going through with it. This episode seemed like it was going in that direction until the last few minutes.
Aug 28, 2017 4:36 AM
Oct 2012
seriously... these episodes are making me salty as f*ck... had a full reason to not do it... cookie cutter ending. when the hell are we gonna just meet the true conflict of this series. "not going to hell"

My boy, the reporter, had everything set up, and what does the story say to him "f*ck you" ... Im starting to hate this series, if each episode ends the same way. every episode i have even more question yet no answers...

Call me pandering, but at least answer my questions, not play with my balls and say, see you next episode.
Oct 31, 2017 1:33 AM

Sep 2012
Hirugiku said:
Im speechless... it precisely shows that its all about vengeance and not about who is right or not. Girl was hundred percent wrong. Not only the whole idea of taking revenge in that manner is just wrong. but also that she doesnt know for sure who to avert her anger to. She doesnt for sure know if mayor is guilty but she just took his life like that? Ai seemed to be really upset (She didnt want to do that)
Also it proves that mayor is innocent. The fact that he woke up on the boat rather than having the Ipen shindemeru or asking him to repent. Since he was innocent he just woke up on the boat. And you know its the first time he met Ai since he said "where am I" when he woke up and he had a surprise on his face seeing Ai so its his first time encountering her.
Feel bad for Hajime that all his efforts are pointless pretty much.

i believe it was hes son who killed the guy

she really should have asked to see the truth from Ai like one girl before in this series, but if it was hes son she still had revenge cause she took some1 he cared about from him, its worse type of revenge, but it is revenge

also that's how deep hatred is, it makes a person blind & can also give tunnel vision so ur fixated on one person & won't see other possibility's that some1 else mite have done it for hes behalf without him knowing
Sugram22Oct 31, 2017 1:37 AM
Oct 31, 2017 1:56 AM

Sep 2012
seems like what Hajime daughters sees is starting to corrupt her in a way, she is starting to see it as a good thing that ppl use Ai
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.