Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 »
Dec 28, 2014 3:39 AM

Dec 2014
Haseo666 said:
AnnaSartin said:
I think both older and newer anime are awesome.
Watching old and new series side-by-side, I don't see any major differences between quality shows made in the 80's and 90's versus quality shows made in the 21st century. There are some differences in animation styles, but nothing so drastic it takes away from the viewing experience. Yes, there are some poor quality shows in both eras, but there was (and still is) plenty of gems out there to love and enjoy.

I completely agree with you. I'm always watching some newer and older anime side-by-side (currently mostly 90's stuff) and I enjoy both... well Tetsujin 28-gou is giving me hard time actually and I'm stuck at 14 episodes. It will be huge challenge to complete that show.

Why is Tetsujin 28-gou giving you a hard time? I haven't seen that one.
Dec 28, 2014 4:03 AM

Jul 2010
AnnaSartin said:
Haseo666 said:

I completely agree with you. I'm always watching some newer and older anime side-by-side (currently mostly 90's stuff) and I enjoy both... well Tetsujin 28-gou is giving me hard time actually and I'm stuck at 14 episodes. It will be huge challenge to complete that show.

Why is Tetsujin 28-gou giving you a hard time? I haven't seen that one.

It's rather long with 96 episodes and the story is very repetitive. It requires quite a lot of concentration since I'm watching raws (there are no subs for this anime) and audio track isn't really the best one.
Dec 28, 2014 11:34 AM

Jul 2012
amateur said:
mayukachan said:

Nah bro. Be more open minded c:
I like Mars but I also love Hirunaka no Ryuusei. Classics are great but the newer ones that twist cliches are also as good.

Oh so you haven't even watched it and yet you are already determining its actual value and telling people to be more open minded.Ok sure.....

What? I've read both. I don't watch shoujo classics, I've read them before. Oh I've read Rose of Versailles if that's what you're referring to.
MayukaDec 28, 2014 11:39 AM
Dec 28, 2014 11:35 AM

Jun 2014
Why is this thread still going? People who don't like old animations don't like them people who do do ( dodo heuheuheu ). Shut up already!
Dec 28, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
Syndiciate said:
Why is this thread still going? People who don't like old animations don't like them people who do do ( dodo heuheuheu ). Shut up already!
Why do most of the threads on MAL keep on going? Because the mods are to lazy to close them, pretty simple.
Dec 28, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Syndiciate said:
Why do most of the threads on MAL keep on going? Because the mods are to lazy to close them, pretty simple.

:P I once had a question thread that went on for like 10 pages. xD
Dec 28, 2014 11:53 AM

Jul 2012
We should just accept that some people prefer cell shading (from this thread alone lol) and some people prefer newer art styles and colour palettes. Problem solved?

/thread
Dec 28, 2014 11:57 AM

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:
We should just accept that some people prefer cell shading (from this thread alone lol) and some people prefer newer art styles and colour palettes. Problem solved?

/thread
And we should just acccept that some people prefer subs over dubs, Fairy Tail over One Piece, Pro choice over Pro life, communism over democracy, etc. Problem solved? No more forums? No more discussions?
Dec 28, 2014 11:58 AM

Jul 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
mayukachan said:

/thread
And we should just acccept that some people prefer subs over dubs, Fairy Tail over One Piece, Pro choice over Pro life, communism over democracy, etc. Problem solved? No more forums? No more discussions?

Yes.

It's not like this thread is going anywhere >_>
Dec 28, 2014 12:00 PM

Nov 2010
Syndiciate said:
Milk_is_Special said:

:P I once had a question thread that went on for like 10 pages. xD

and that ladies & gents, is why we have a "report" option (it's next to quote)

the forum is pretty big and keeping track of everything isn't that easy :)
Dec 28, 2014 12:03 PM

Oct 2008
mayukachan said:

What? I've read both. I don't watch shoujo classics, I've read them before. Oh I've read Rose of Versailles if that's what you're referring to.

Yes I was referring to Rose of Versailles which didn't appear appear in your anime or manga list.
Also its actually quite funny how its that one in particular since the anime and manga are literally 2 completely different entities that are nothing alike (except the premise).It not a case of where if you've experienced one version you know about the other.

Jun 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
mayukachan said:

/thread

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Nov 2010
mayukachan said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Yes.

agreed with both of you :)

there are good topics out there, this isn't one (for one the OP says he doesn't want to come across as an ass... and yet he still sounds like a total ass)

for him it's not even open for debate. either you agree with him or suffer his wrath!
Dec 28, 2014 12:06 PM

Jul 2012
amateur said:
mayukachan said:

Yes I was referring to Rose of Versailles which didn't appear appear in your anime or manga list.
Also its actually quite funny how its that one in particular since the anime and manga are literally 2 completely different entities that are nothing alike (except the premise).It not a case of where if you've experienced one version you know about the other.

Uh, I should really edit my profile...but I have a list of shoujo manga in an Excel document that I haven't added onto my MAL yet. So my manga list is inaccurate lol
I've pretty much read anything in the demographic excluding post 2011 (I stopped reading manga that time) shoujo.

My point was that age doesn't make something better.
Dec 28, 2014 10:01 PM

Jun 2014
kickthebucket said:
mayukachan said:

Yes.

there are good topics out there, this isn't one (for one the OP says he doesn't want to come across as an ass... and yet he still sounds like a total ass)

for him it's not even open for debate. either you agree with him or suffer his wrath!

Lol I love coming back to this topic, where we've circled over 50 times back and forth just to say *SURPRISE SURPRISE* that you can like different kinds of art.

It's like a debate between pointillism vs linear art.

The above mentioned topics can be freely debated and we'll go in happy circles once more.

Circles for everyone! Yay!
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Dec 28, 2014 10:02 PM

Jan 2013
7starkiller99 said:
kickthebucket said:

Lol I love coming back to this topic, where we've circled over 50 times back and forth just to say *SURPRISE SURPRISE* that you can like different kinds of art.

This is basically the cute little sister of the 'sub vs dub' thread.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 28, 2014 10:03 PM

Jun 2014
Zophrosyne said:
7starkiller99 said:

This is basically the cute little sister of the 'sub vs dub' thread.

Awww, she's adorable. Also she bites so all the sensible people should just lay low.
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Dec 28, 2014 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
It really comes down to the strength of each style. For example, Jin-Roh is one of the best looking things I've seen when it comes to realsim.

Give me a modern anime that looks half as good when it comes to a realistic art style. You have Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy, maybe Black Lagoon and that's about it. Oh course new anime have there own strengths when it comes to art direction.

The Monogatari series' simplistic style is very beautiful and the only older anime that I can think of that is even slightly similar or at least the same ballpark is Lain.

ShrabsterDec 28, 2014 10:48 PM

Dec 29, 2014 8:12 AM
Oct 2014
That's extremely ignorant for anyone to spout such B.S
Old or New /=/ Quality
Dec 29, 2014 11:55 AM

Nov 2009
nucblus said:
sumusiko said:
Just ignore people who don't like old animes and you keep enjoying them.

No.

1: The animation is irrelevant if the story is good.
2: Akira has the best animation of any feature length film.

You remind me of guys in real-life who say looks don't matter at all and they only care about personality. Man, stop lying to yourself.
And what's with you positing two contradictory points right next to each other anyway? If you think animation is so irrelevant, why are you trying to cite old shows you feel are the pinnacle of animation? Your insecurity could honestly not be more obvious. Please let people like or dislike whatever the hell they want to without having you judging them for it and broadcasting your disapproval for everyone to see.
Dec 29, 2014 11:59 AM

Mar 2008
Dec 29, 2014 12:00 PM

Jun 2014
Ckan said:
His points aren't particularly contradictory.

Father! What are you doing here?
Dec 29, 2014 12:33 PM

Nov 2009
Ckan said:

He stipulates animation doesn't matter, then goes on to imply that he thinks it does matter by using it as one of his points to show why old animation isn't bad. How, pray tell, is that not being contradictory?
Dec 29, 2014 12:38 PM

Jun 2014
keldeokun said:
Ckan said:

He stipulates animation doesn't matter, then goes on to imply that he thinks it does matter by using it as one of his points to show why old animation isn't bad. How, pray tell, is that not being contradictory?

You're right. Sorry Father. :(

The animation DOES matters but not too much. If the show has a good storyline then the animation won't affect me much though it might take away from my overall enjoyment of the show.
Dec 29, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2012
I thought this this thread came to the conclusion that people need to stop making excuses for being close-minded and/or shallow and just expand their horizons

Or maybe I skimmed through more than I thought I did idk
Dec 30, 2014 6:33 AM

Jul 2014
hybreezy said:
They don't remember love

Or maybe they just don't like love.
Jan 1, 2015 9:41 PM

Jun 2014
Kaimon said:
I thought this this thread came to the conclusion that people need to stop making excuses for being close-minded and/or shallow and just expand their horizons

Or maybe I skimmed through more than I thought I did idk

I think you skimmed a little to much from the top. :P
Jan 1, 2015 10:50 PM

Apr 2014
I tried watching Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, but I couldn't stand it. Anything above that is fine though. I enjoyed GTO and Cowboy. People who instantly discard anime because it's old really vexes me though.
Feb 18, 2016 8:05 PM
Feb 2016
They are just brain washed by all the new shit. I heard someone say they didn't like Death Note because it looked "too old". Astro Boy is old. An anime that came out 10 years ago is not old. Those people piss me off I don't understand them.
Feb 18, 2016 8:26 PM

Nov 2008
nucblus said:
romagia said:
how old is old?

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.

LOL NOW I FEEL OLD.

"Old anime" to me is anything before the 90s. XD (and I've watched a couple)

Feb 18, 2016 8:51 PM

Apr 2008
I like to watch old shows because I want to know the foundation of what I'm watching, if it's going to be so popular. History makes you wise. If you like musicals so much, don't you want to see more MGM19 40s-50s movies out of curiosity?

Heck, I watched an episode of "SASUKE", an animation from the 1960s. Then again, I've always watched old cartoons. Growing up with Looney Toons and Disney shorts helped, but they were pretty fluid from their times. Art aesthetic and the genre, the portrayal of the character acting, are very different these days. Key animation can be pretty cheap looking too.

I guess I can't explain it to well. Maybe I'll think about this topic some more, especially when someone asked "Why did Seiya bombed in U.S"
Feb 18, 2016 9:07 PM

Oct 2015
Some people won't watch mid 2000's stuff because it looks "too old"? I don't care how old something is as long as it's good, I've seen some 60's, 80's, and 90's (I still need to watch some 70's anime, I've seen older short anime clips from like the 1910's)

Cowboy Bebop (1998) is one of my favorite anime and Ghost in the Shell (1995) is one of my favorite anime movies. Akira (1988) is pretty good to.

I wouldn't even really consider an anime "old" unless it was made before 2000. To be honest I find a lot of brand new anime kind of generic.
Feb 18, 2016 9:14 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the main problem i have with people who stray from old anime is that they act as if the tropes in todays anime are recent, when theyre all pretty much just as old as anime is
Feb 18, 2016 9:16 PM

Jun 2015
They must know the ancestor of modern anime! XD
Feb 18, 2016 9:19 PM

Aug 2015
I liek watching animus from the stoneage, still has a better quality than most of the 1980's animus these days, I miss the old days

I rarely watch old animes these days, but when I do, I preferred the 2000's ones
Feb 18, 2016 9:21 PM

Apr 2008
Kurintonro said:

There we go!

Another poorly animated show I've watched is "Hibari-kun". It's an 80s show though, but hilarious. Is anime really that different today and yesterday?
Feb 18, 2016 9:22 PM

Dec 2015
Eh, I don't like the look of those 90s anime.
Feb 18, 2016 9:35 PM

Sep 2009
Cool bro, story. You should party at a tell it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 18, 2016 9:51 PM

Jul 2013
I feel the same way and I can't stand people who don't appreciate older cartoons/animation either. People these days think anime is all about One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha or SAO.

Lately, I met a 40 year-old woman who has never watched many cartoons/animation in her entire life (what an ignorant old weeaboo and a sorry excuse of a mother for teaching her kids to be Wapanese, by getting them into garbage anime). Even my mom has seen way more cartoons (or anime) than than this old Japanotard. That biatch kind of reminds me of some other old hag who wastes her time watching all sorts of new garbage anime.

People tend to fixate on whatever they were exposed to in their early fan years. That's why why so many enthusiasts, nerds, anime fans, etc will claim that newer anime will never give them the sense of nostalgia that older anime gave them.
Feb 18, 2016 10:31 PM

Jun 2015
shakeyourpup45 said:
Kurintonro said:

There we go!

Another poorly animated show I've watched is "Hibari-kun". It's an 80s show though, but hilarious. Is anime really that different today and yesterday?

I'll try to watch Hibari-Kun too and there are differences about today and yesterday, but not that much because some or most anime concept this day are came from the concept of old anime, but if they hate old anime because of graphics then shame on them. I used to hate old anime too but when you gradually getting a good plot then you will be amazed of how wonderful ancient anime can still affect you.
Feb 19, 2016 5:28 AM

Oct 2015
Sometimes I think people care only about the quality of animation. I think it's unfair to judge an anime based on this because a lot of anime are old, but gold because they had a very good story and message, but the technology at the time was a limitation. Having said that, a lower resolution and frame rate doesn't necessarily mean that the animation was bad: I personally think that a lot of Studio Ghibli's older films look fantastic even today.
Feb 19, 2016 5:40 AM

Sep 2009
watch what you wanna watch, but still respect the classics.
Feb 19, 2016 5:47 AM

Jul 2015
i dont like old anime , i watch to enjoy not to hurt my eyes
kill me :)
Feb 19, 2016 7:20 AM

Oct 2015
It is fine, as long as they're honest, not a mere hypocrite.
If you doesn't like old anime then found a topic like...
"Are you that guy who judge anime by it's animation?" No, story/plot are more important for me. Blablabla

Then thank you, standing ovation from me. *applause*
Feb 19, 2016 7:22 AM

Feb 2010
I think my previous post is still relevant since this topic has apparently been revived since then:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1267759&show=380#msg36127425
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 19, 2016 7:42 AM
May 2009
THEIR LOSS.

That simple really. There are some great works.
Some Brilliant OVA Series, that I enjoyed.
Feb 19, 2016 8:32 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
theres not really anything today in media that hasn't already been done in some form

i just have a problem with people who act as if the tropes in todays anime are recent, when if you watch 80s and early 90s anime, you'll see nothing in anime today is new

many people grew up watching censored anime on TV so they think some older shows "didn't have certain tropes"

just watch the Japanese version of many of them, and you'll change your mind
Feb 19, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2016
They're a bunch of closed minded individuals you'll be better off avoiding...
Feb 20, 2016 9:09 PM

Jul 2013
This may be an opinion, but recent anime have sub-par music/soundtracks compared to previously made anime. I doubt that the Lupin Blue Jacket series will have music as good as the Red Jacket series. Like they say, nothing compares to the original. Anime these days may have generic J-Pop music with limited or no talent whatsoever.
Kurt_IrvingFeb 20, 2016 9:15 PM
Feb 21, 2016 12:55 AM

Apr 2010
The most common excuse I hear is they don't like the animation. But there are people who only love things from the last year

Pages (20) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 »

More topics from this board

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

13 by betaweeb »»
12 minutes ago

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

73 by RobertBobert »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you think Anime has been a net positive for humanity??

LenRea - Yesterday

33 by LordCrueltyV »»
20 minutes ago

» Which anime(s) would any of your favorite characters watch?

IpreferEcchi - 4 hours ago

8 by SageModeTice »»
24 minutes ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series) ( 1 2 )

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

52 by SageModeTice »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.