Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 5, 2013 11:58 AM

Jun 2012
Wat.
Feb 16, 2013 3:06 PM

Jul 2012
bt-kun said:
I still don't really get who that girl with the lotus flower on her head was :/

Is she Dalian's alter ego or something? O.o
I'd probably say it's something like that too; I'm guessing she's like Dalian's other self. I never really understood her part in this either. Yes, she is the internal keeper I guess; but she just sits there.. Well, the series didn't give us much info anyways.

The ending definitely didn't explain everything, but I still quite enjoyed this series. Dalian's personality I enjoyed and I loved seeing Dalian and Huey together^^ A lot of people did die too, and I'd have to say most of them were women o.O But, Dalian would def. be my fave character from this show^^

Well, I don't think there will be a second season any chance since it's been around a year and no info (at least I don't think, since I really haven't looked it up) on another season. That is, unless someone just decides to pick this series back up.

Overall, I'd give this show an 8/10 ; didn't like the plot holes but everything else was pretty entertaining; esp. the Dalian and Huey moments^^
May 30, 2013 11:24 PM

Jun 2012
animegeek4life said:
Did not feel like a finale...

Sanguis said:
One thing that ticked me off about this series: Waaaaay too little Flamberge. ಥ_ಥ
110% agreed. Flamberge=amazing.

bt-kun said:
I still don't really get who that girl with the lotus flower on her head was :/

Is she Dalian's alter ego or something? O.o
I am still really confused about her too. I wish the show gave some more story behind that character because she seems pretty interesting.

Overall for this series: 5/10
I enjoyed it, but the series went nowhere and had several loose ends to the story at the end.

I agree with you on the 5, that is my lowest score ever at this point. I rated Paranoia Agent at 6, and thought it was bad. This was just god awful.
Jul 7, 2013 10:46 PM

Mar 2012
I enjoyed the show a bit, but after the final episode, you have to ask yourself...what was the point in watching all 12 episodes? Simply put, there was no point, it went nowhere, and tried to become a deep story that kept giving vague answers leaving the viewer rather confused. This last episode tried to get the viewer to feel emotion toward the girl in the library, but the problem is you really have nothing to connect with her, so in a sense, there's no emotion coming from the viewer to even really care what happens to her.

6/10, only because individually, each episode was quite entertaining, but at the same time, the anime failed as a whole...which killed the score..

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 21, 2013 8:45 AM

Dec 2012
This needed 24 episodes.. no idea why they only did 12. Despite the anime being good, it had a lot of wasted potential.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Mar 9, 2014 10:59 AM

Nov 2012
Peten00b said:
This needed 24 episodes.. no idea why they only did 12. Despite the anime being good, it had a lot of wasted potential.
I have same feeling. I loved Victorian setting and characters, but story was lack of details. I would like to know more about characters motivations and goals.
Jul 20, 2014 8:20 AM

Apr 2010
Hmmm. . . the story was just starting up now and they end it? I don't get it. It was good, it survived me not dropping it. But it could have been MUCH better.
Jul 31, 2014 4:40 PM

Mar 2013
On the fence about giving this a 5 or a 6 out of 10. No less than that though, because even though the plot is lackluster, it's quite a beautiful anime. I'll give it credit for that. Great opening, nice music.

But yea, not enough appearances from characters such as Hal and Flamberg, and the Professor and Raziel. I think it would've been much better if we got more episodes involving these characters (+ Huey and Dalian of course), instead of the episodic Mystical Tome ones. Some of them were nice and interesting though.
Sep 18, 2014 11:59 AM

Aug 2013
8/10
I liked it, great ending episode.
Plotless? I say it one more time : Mushishi. There is no need for main plot for high rate.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 16, 2015 4:14 AM

Jan 2012
miyuki's voice ruined this show for me

show is zzz more or less anyway

5/10
Jun 3, 2015 7:37 AM

Jun 2010
[quote=Iilia]
Kawaii7878 said:
[quote=RyuKirin too bad there was so much wasted in it. 6/10. I don't like endings that aren't really endings. :/

Same goes for me.
episode needed more action and a proper ending. I loved to see Flam again. 😙
I was left to wonder what was the purpose for anything and what were the backgrounds.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2016 9:33 PM

Dec 2012
That was really weird and unexplained, the rest of the show was alright though and ED was pretty good.
I have to say though, Dantalian no Shoka has one of the god-tier seiyuu casts. Especially for characters who only appear for one episode, we have the likes of Show Hayami, Ami Koshimizu, Minami Takayama, Shizuka Itou, the list goes on, nearly all my faves were in it (7/10 O_o).
AassdddaiApr 30, 2016 9:38 PM
Sep 2, 2016 10:08 AM
Jul 2018
Who was that girl in the yukata?
Good last episode, but will still give the a 7/10 overall
In the end it was just a big commercial.
Dec 31, 2016 5:08 PM

Aug 2016
Even though there wasn't much of a plot to it, it was really enjoyable. Needs a second season but there is less than 1% of that happening.

Daisuke Ono and Miyuki Sawashiro is such a great combination
Jan 22, 2017 2:41 AM
Jan 2014
I thought that the lotus girl was Pandora or something judging from the flashbacks, but what the heck is Pandora doing in Dalian's body? And we seem to get a shot where someone who looks like her is in a sci-fi looking city... is that foreshadow or something? And what is that book with the rose on the cover? And what do the red blibio princess mean when she said Dalian is breaking down?
Really, they should shorten the book hunt episodes and focus more on the actual plot of the story instead of throwing pillows around and call it an ending. I felt like they were going for Gosick kind of pace, but that just won't work when it doesn't sell as much.
Aside from that...nice art and nice music. This anime's been really enjoyable and I love every bit of it aside from the rush on the final episode.
May 7, 2017 11:39 PM

Aug 2015
What I got out of this episode was a loli fight and best girl Flam.

Dentalian really makes Gosick look good in comparison, despite having a better male MC.
Aug 21, 2017 4:26 AM

Jan 2016
I liked the series a lot and it's a bit sad that 6 years has already passed and there is still no season 2. It such a drag that a series like this has a potential but it was dragged down due to its 12 episodes, can't blame them about it, afterall money is a must when it comes to making an episode.

I'd give it a 7/10
Dec 25, 2017 3:01 PM

Oct 2015
So Hal and Flam made their second appearance, because I thought they won't show them again and I guess they were useful by saving Huey.
Raizel and that bartender ended up getting away with it, goes to show this anime really needs s2 but I doubt it because it has been like more than 6 years.

Either way this series was fun to watch Dalian and Huey go on their phantom book hunting adventures and its a pity that he didn't got save the other half.
Decent show so its a 7/10 and I will watch ova.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 7, 2019 9:54 PM

Mar 2015
A rather enjoyable series, but the final episode was literal dogshit.
They tried to fit as much as possible into it. Like, all of the sudden Huey suddenly cared about the girl in the realm again.
Not to mention you can tell they attempted to put as many of the cast as possible in it.
woah there
Jun 17, 2020 9:19 AM

Aug 2012
Damn this series was a huge disappointment. It just didn't work at all for me, the setup of the magic wasn't explained much, the location of 1920s England badly represented and the characters were more often than not quite dull.

None of the episodes of this show really flowed nicely into the other making for a real trying watch. As each episode ended I had no desire or reason to keep going.

Saying that I think out of the 12 episodes overall I liked 3 of them. The episode about the lady obsessed with that Author aka Misery was quite good. Then episodes 9 and 10 were both quite strong short stories.

But that is it for me. The last two episodes especially were just a mess imo.

Gainax has a history of a few great works and a substantial amount of forgettable material and this show certainly belongs in the latter.

Somewhere between a 4-5/10 for me.
Apr 20, 2021 9:31 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Dalian was so cute at the end as a tsundere! :D Well I think it was a pretty good end for a one cour anime, and overall it was pretty good, some episodes on the 2nd half felt boring but apart from that it was entertaining and liked the concept (similarities with Gosick) and the characters as well. 6/10
Jun 14, 2021 12:12 PM

Feb 2020
Got to say a really beautiful anime. Animation was awesome fitting and creative at times. Story was very enjoyable ( Goes well with Victorian Tea menu) . I wish everything there was a season 2 which answered everything properly and given side characters to more develop.

overall great watch. Can't belive its from same author who wrote strike the blood ( day and night difference)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Feb 19, 2022 3:07 PM

Feb 2020
This last episode was good, but it felt so much like an ending for a different show than what we got... What I mean is that the show overall has been completely episodic with barely any connection between episodes even if there were some clues here and there, and then you have this episode that feels like the conclusion for something much bigger and much more epic than that. I always felt this anime was a good example of wasted potential and now I'm sure of it, and it's a real shame.

This is not to say I didn't like it ! It was charming, with some interesting messages about literature and arts in general. It just could've done so much more with what it had. I also thought it was really lacking some good character development (even if it solved that a bit with the last episodes), and was so disconnected that it ended up being very confusing. The characters also being introduced and then forgotten by the next episode was very frustrating too (Flamberge being the best example for that considering how interesting she was, though I'm glad she showed up at the end).
The biggest problem though, is probably that the whole show seemed to be setting up for another season, which it never got and most likely will never get. That's too bad.

I give it a 6/10 ! And for now I'm not considering reading the novel but I'm quite curious to know how it will continue from here and if some questions I have can be answered, so maybe I'll end up checking it out anyway.
Sep 22, 2022 11:53 PM
Aug 2018
I will miss dalian's rude words and attitude lol
Dec 24, 2022 3:57 PM

May 2015
Halfway through it became a bit more interesting but in the end there was still lots of lost potential. Instead of focusing on forgettable episodic stories it would have been better if they explored the main characters more, as well as Flam and Hal, they were cool! Too bad they only appeared in two episodes. Not sure that the whole mystery with the white-haired girl was addressed properly. The finale was more confusing than resolving anything. Still, it was a pretty nice watch. 6/10
Jan 16, 2023 3:59 AM

Aug 2018
Pretty good series.

Definitely could have greatly benefited from a higher episode count and a slightly less generic art style.

Animation quality was high.

Characters were alright. Both Dalian and Huey were kinda shallow but still likeable. the side characters were interesting, especially the other book-hunters.

The script was above average although each story painfully compressed to fit into 22 minutes.

The cinematography/direction was actually great. No complaints there.

This final episode was a poor way to end the series though. So many questions left unanswered. incomplete and rushed adaptations are the cross that anime fans must bear. Poor us, such a tragic fate.

7/10
epidemia78Jan 16, 2023 4:20 AM
Apr 7, 2023 7:47 AM
Dec 2021
ok. Did not enjoy much.
Mar 29, 8:38 PM
Mar 2018
purely vibes based anime. liked it
Apr 22, 5:59 PM

Dec 2022
This anime introduces far too many questions, unknowns and esoteric elements without compensating for it with at least some insight into what they mean. With the "main plot" being scattered into fragmentary, isolated scenes amidst the largely episodic structure of the narrative, it only makes it more and more difficult to properly immerse yourself in the world. The main pair, Huey and Dalian, also came across as being sidelined characters with little value in any given situation until they finally decide (seemingly on a whim) to resolve it with the Phantom Books. The casual interactions between characters are often entertaining, and the plot does elicit viewer interest at times, but it's too unfocused for my liking.

Shaded Horizon

Jul 11, 2:19 AM

Aug 2018
Finished. Too bad there is no second season.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2011

64 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2011

45 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 9, 2011

82 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 3:00 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Sep 2, 2011

59 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 1:50 PM

Poll: » Dantalian no Shoka Episode 7 Discussion

Yumekichi11 - Aug 26, 2011

48 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 22, 12:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.