Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 7, 2013 11:41 PM

Mar 2010
Persius said:
lol awesome episode as always ! Kaiki is the best !
this op cud be the best one i seen in this year lmao !

Okay so i hv not read it novel or manga anything at all so i dont have any idea what will happen next...

but a thought striked me when i saw the shocked kaiki watching that closet that - cud this be the

wild imagination is not bad. keep that up.
Dec 8, 2013 12:07 AM
Oct 2010
I was thinking last episode that a kaiki centric OP would make this season that much more timeless, and then shaft nails it with a switching 90's gahara-kaiki duet. God I love this show.

Assuming the monogtari series ends, a Kaiki spin-off would be awesome.
Dec 8, 2013 12:19 AM

May 2012
can some explain to me why senjougahara was crying?
Dec 8, 2013 12:22 AM

Oct 2012
That new OP was…an eye opener. For a moment, I thought I was watching the wrong show.

Dang, Kaiki can sing gooood. I liked him for being confusing during the 1st season and now I even like him more. Dat wall jump to the window.

That closet cliffhanger. Finally. Been wondering about it ever since Nadeko asked Araragi to not open her closet when he was at her house. Well, time to stay out off the interwebz. Don't want to ruin the next ep. >_<
Dec 8, 2013 12:25 AM

Sep 2012
mcnuggetmane said:
Tears of joy that Koyomi is not going to die with her by Nadeko killing them. They are saved! She is really thankful to Kaiki.
hpulleyDec 8, 2013 2:33 AM
Dec 8, 2013 12:33 AM

Nov 2009
Is Yotsugi really Yuzuru's familiar? Cause it seemed that she was working for Gaen.
Dec 8, 2013 12:37 AM

Sep 2012
Leio said:
Is Yotsugi really Yuzuru's familiar? Cause it seemed that she was working for Gaen.
They need to anmate the next book really soon, Tsukimonogatari (Possession Story) "Yotsugi Doll". Its really good! An in character OP should be hilarious!
Dec 8, 2013 12:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
DAT RETRO OP!!

Love the conversations between Kaiki and Senjougahara. He's the only one who always manages to score some points on her in a verbal joust.

What's in that closet?!!!
FarabeufDec 8, 2013 1:03 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 8, 2013 12:46 AM

Jul 2011
I give up. Kaiki is now my favourite character.
Dec 8, 2013 1:16 AM

Mar 2010
hpulley said:
mcnuggetmane said:
Tears of joy the Koyomi is not going to die with her by Nadeko killing them. They are saved! She is really thankful to Kaiki.

Uhmm... from Nisio's context, she was hurt by Kaiki's remarks on the multiple choice question he suggested to her. It's like her relationship with Araragi is a joke to Kaiki.

Unless you are joking around, because I usually doesn't get jokes lol
Dec 8, 2013 2:09 AM

Jul 2013
IronLobster said:
silentjutah said:
Am I the only one here who thinks that the girl in the opening theme was Kaiki's ex-girlfriend? hmmmm

Yes, you are probably the only one who thinks that.

I quickly dismissed that logic too, but then it had me thinking when it switched to the 90's style of animation that girl was suppose to be Kaiki's ex-lover that looks exactly like Senjougahara or something. And he used to be lovey-dovey like that. 99% sure I'm completely wrong but that comment had me think of a crazy theory like that :P
Dec 8, 2013 2:38 AM

Sep 2012
yukaru00 said:
hpulley said:
mcnuggetmane said:
Tears of joy that Koyomi is not going to die with her by Nadeko killing them. They are saved! She is really thankful to Kaiki.

Uhmm... from Nisio's context, she was hurt by Kaiki's remarks on the multiple choice question he suggested to her. It's like her relationship with Araragi is a joke to Kaiki.

Unless you are joking around, because I usually doesn't get jokes lol
No, I wasn't joking but maybe I got the wrong idea when I read it.
Dec 8, 2013 2:55 AM

Jan 2009
i already know whats in the closet due to reading spoilers here in the forums but damn im still excited for the finale of this arc
Dec 8, 2013 3:11 AM

Mar 2010
hpulley said:
No, I wasn't joking but maybe I got the wrong idea when I read it.

Well, this might refresh our minds a lil' bit, because, I might have taken it wrong too.

Ps to mod and everyone else: Below is the excerpt taken from the source material that revolves around this episode. So, do not get too excited and jumping to any conclusion that I am giving you spoilers.

「なんというか説得して、阿良々木くんには千石撫子のことを諦めてもらうしかない......そこを諦めないからこそ阿良々木くんだけれど......、私の惚れた男なんだけれど」

おやおや、のろけられたものだ。
そんなことを言われると、俺も意地悪を言いたくなる。
「いい方法があるぞ。阿良々木に『私と千石撫子、どっちのほうが大事なのよ』と選択を迫るんだ。お前がそういう鬱陶しい女になれば、あいつはさすがに、千石撫子を諦めるだろうぜ」
「......失礼」

俺が軽口に答えず、戦場ヶ原は席を立った。ひょっとして怒って帰るのかと思ったが――もう電車は終わっているだろうから、さすがに一人で帰すわけにはいかないと思ったが――そうではなく彼女は化粧室に行くだけだった。

Beyond this spoiler tag is the translation of the above excerpt. Since my English is not that good, please pardon any grammatical errors that I might have done.

yukaru00Dec 8, 2013 3:15 AM
Dec 8, 2013 3:19 AM

Sep 2012
^^^ Yes, I read and got that but when he said he was wrong there I took it further to mean that he wasn't just wrong about her going home by herself, but that he was wrong that she was angry about what he'd said.

When she came back Kaiki was surprised that she politely apologized for making him wait after she returned from the bathroom, so surprised he was speechless. Again it seemed like he was wrong about thinking she was angry. He certainly thought he had made her angry but it seems like he was wrong.

"Sorry for making you wait." Senjougahara returned.After that loose lipped quip a little while ago, I was completely surprised, I never would have guessed that she would have come back with a formal word of apology. I was so surprised I was completely speechless. If I may say I had told a complete lie -- Senjougahara's eyes were completely red.

When I saw that, if you were sort of person who is slow on the uptake you might guess that her eyes were swollen simply because she'd been crying in the powder room... Her eyes looked like they were swollen from being hit by a ruffian.

When she said to him seemingly without sarcasm that she was thankful, I thought she really was thankful and glad at that point. But I can have trouble detecting sarcasm if it isn't stated directly as 皮肉 so I could be wrong there.

I thought she would have come back at Kaiki with a remark if she were simply angry with him. Since it is narrated by Kaiki we don't get her inner thoughts, just his thoughts while she is in the powder room until she came back.
hpulleyDec 8, 2013 4:19 AM
Dec 8, 2013 4:03 AM

Mar 2010
Well, everything in this arc is narrated by Kaiki. So, it is hard for me (somehow) to fully grasp Kaiki's interpretation of the situation. Haha
Dec 8, 2013 4:16 AM

Sep 2012
yukaru00 said:
Well, everything in this arc is narrated by Kaiki. So, it is hard for me (somehow) to fully grasp Kaiki's interpretation of the situation. Haha
Well, between Kaiki the character narrating, Nisioisin writing it, and it just plain being in Japanese which loves to beat around the bush rather than coming right out and saying things... it is very easy to get things backwards and I could still be wrong too.

I am also guilty of reading what I want to read into things at times. But I thought for her character, she wouldn't want to hide tears of anger from Kaiki. I thought she would have yelled at him if she was angry. So when she left like that and came back crying and seemingly sincerely thankful I thought she meant it and that she was crying from relief of the tension of thinking that Koyomi was going to die with her at the hands of a middle school girl turned snake goddess who was infatuated with her boyfriend.

But perhaps also sad rather than angry because his words did sting and ring true. If Shinobu hadn't stopped him, who knows what would have happened when Nadeko slept over... Koyomi is a bad boy. But as it is Kaiki narrating and she didn't say anything more about it there, we don't really know.

Edit again, sorry... though Nadeko narrated that part where she slept over so... who knows? It is interesting that we've now seen it narrated from 4 points of view. I sort of trust Hanekawa's view when he rejected her, he really did say he loved Senjougahara there so I want to believe him because that was Hanekawa saying it, not him, assuming that was a true account of her rejection. But then he kisses all the other girls... oh, Koyomi... some days I really don't think he deserves Hitagi.
hpulleyDec 8, 2013 4:23 AM
Dec 8, 2013 4:36 AM

Mar 2010
Well, Nisio tries hard to express himself as the fraud guy, that might be a thing too. When you have been so fixated at a character standpoint, in this case Araragi, it is hard to change your expressing style to other characters' point of view, especially in the same series.
Dec 8, 2013 4:53 AM

Sep 2012
Nekomonogatari Shiro and Koimonogatari feel different to me with Hanekawa and Kaiki narrating. They don't feel quite like Koyomi. The missing chapters, the nyanning made Hanekawa and Black Hanekawa feel like she was really a cat apparition. Kaiki has his own style.

Otori didn't quite feel as different, it didn't feel like a middle school girl/snake goddess was narrating it, especially when Nisiosin pulled the trick of it really just being Nadeko talking to herself until she ate the talisman. She really was just talking to her scrunchie/shu-shu up to that point. Did the god keep narrating it after that? Yes, and that is a bit odd for sure. I didn't see her carrying a notebook around. Which means... we have to assume something about what happens to her which isn't written in Otorimonogatari. So it didn't work quite as well for me.
Dec 8, 2013 5:17 AM

May 2012
I've yet to see the whole episode but that opening.
It sorta makes up for whatever-the-fuck were the openings for NekoShiro and Kabuki.
Dec 8, 2013 6:13 AM

Jul 2013
after watching the episode...
WTH IS IN THE CLOSET, even kaiki was shocked by it o_o

also now he swindled 3m yen fom ononoki/gaen and made her to his enemy o_o
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Dec 8, 2013 6:57 AM

Feb 2013
I need to know whats in the damn closet! loved the new kaikai x senjougahara op, looking forward to the next episode!
Dec 8, 2013 6:59 AM

Mar 2010
Voldomino said:
I've yet to see the whole episode but that opening.
It sorta makes up for whatever-the-fuck were the openings for NekoShiro and Kabuki.

Neko Shiro op's was fine. I kinda like the vector line art and animation done in it as well as Chocolate Insomnia.
Dec 8, 2013 7:13 AM

Oct 2012
LOL WTF WHAT THAT OPENING...CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!!

what's in the closet? narnia?
Dec 8, 2013 7:19 AM

Mar 2010
tsanggitu said:
LOL WTF WHAT THAT OPENING...CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!!

what's in the closet? narnia?

in the closet, there lies a path to the center of the earth.
Dec 8, 2013 8:40 AM
Jul 2012
ihusmal1234 said:
IronLobster said:
silentjutah said:
Am I the only one here who thinks that the girl in the opening theme was Kaiki's ex-girlfriend? hmmmm

Yes, you are probably the only one who thinks that.

I quickly dismissed that logic too, but then it had me thinking when it switched to the 90's style of animation that girl was suppose to be Kaiki's ex-lover that looks exactly like Senjougahara or something. And he used to be lovey-dovey like that. 99% sure I'm completely wrong but that comment had me think of a crazy theory like that :P

I'll say this...you guys are pretty good for catching that. It's pretty close to the truth.

That was a trippy retro OP. SHAFT never ceases to amaze me. Yet another incredible episode. This is how a story should be. Things like comedy, love, action, drama, etc. all blended perfectly. Seemingly at-odds qualities can coexist if done right.

Hmm...I wonder what's in the closet that has even Kaiki that surprised...
Dec 8, 2013 9:01 AM

Apr 2010
Didn't expect to see Snejougahara crying this episode that was certainly unexpected but i never thought she would not have considered that.
And it seems Kaiki already gained more out of this then he thought he would, somehow there seems to be a dislike between him and Gaen the question is what.
And why was Kaiki after Sugura Kanbaru when he took on this job?
Another question is why is Gean doing so much for the city/town to make it peaceful even willing to pay a large amount of money to keep Kaiki away what does she gain from it?
Dec 8, 2013 9:09 AM

Jan 2013
The new OP was SZS level troll.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 8, 2013 9:13 AM

Sep 2011
inb4kaikixsenjougaharadoujins.

Okay... Now I'm dead curious what's in the closet.

BTW, this arc, particularly Kaiki himself, saves this season for me. Well, including Mayoi's ending arc.
TennoujiDec 8, 2013 9:16 AM

Dec 8, 2013 10:03 AM
Oct 2009
hpulley said:

When she said to him seemingly without sarcasm that she was thankful, I thought she really was thankful and glad at that point. But I can have trouble detecting sarcasm if it isn't stated directly as 皮肉 so I could be wrong there.

I thought she would have come back at Kaiki with a remark if she were simply angry with him. Since it is narrated by Kaiki we don't get her inner thoughts, just his thoughts while she is in the powder room until she came back.

Could you tell us what happened after she thanked him ?, because in the anime kaiki was drinking alone and gahara wasn't there anymore.Did she go home alone by taxi or what ?
Dec 8, 2013 10:22 AM

Jan 2011
looks like the only times i get to enjoy Monogatari is when Koyomi doesnt show up
Dec 8, 2013 10:36 AM

Jul 2010
Haha, that opening.
Btw, Kaiki still best character so far.
Dec 8, 2013 11:25 AM

Sep 2012
MisterXX said:
hpulley said:

Could you tell us what happened after she thanked him ?, because in the anime kaiki was drinking alone and gahara wasn't there anymore.Did she go home alone by taxi or what ?
Her thanking him was the end of chapter 19. Next page in chapter 20, he sent her home in a taxi with a 10000 yen note.
Dec 8, 2013 11:33 AM

Dec 2012
yukaru00 said:

But Kaiki said in the following scene that she cried because her loved one was also saved and she couldn't hold up her tears.

''Senjougahara Hitagi was finally able to relax for the first time now. Of course if it was just about her, she would have been stubborn and not cry over it. But because it meant her lover's life was also spared, she couldn't help but cry about it. That's the type of girl she is. She is a fool like that..''

It's kinda obvious that she didn't get angry with what Kaiki said and she definitely didn't cry because Kaiki's words hurt her, she immediately thanked Kaiki after she came back from the bathroom. Hitagi doesn't cry unless it's about something happening to someone she deeply cares about ( like Hanekewa in Episode 1) at least if we are going based on this season.
tsudecimoDec 8, 2013 11:38 AM
Dec 8, 2013 11:35 AM
Nov 2011
Gaen, knowing everything, must have have known Kaiki was short on money. She also must have known how Kaiki would respond to her offer. Kaiki himself said Gaen should've known that her telling him to quit and leave would only make him more motivated to stay and finish his job. So telling him to leave might have been reverse-psychology to ensure he stays.

So she probably wanted to help him by offering him money knowing he'd take it without abandoning his job. Kaiki, the master of deception, was deceived by Gaen. Buahaha. This episode is brilliant.
AnonUserXDec 8, 2013 11:43 AM
Dec 8, 2013 11:42 AM

Sep 2007
Great opening, best arc and can't wait to find out what's in the closet.

Kaiki is a pretty awesome character

Dec 8, 2013 11:46 AM

Oct 2012
Best opening of 2013 easily
Dec 8, 2013 11:46 AM

Dec 2012
Goddammit,I want to know what's inside the closet.
Dec 8, 2013 12:07 PM

Sep 2012
Psalidokrator said:
Best opening of 2013 easily
So great I can't stop playing it! Sadly we have to wait until June 25th, 2014 for the full version and non-credit animation version.
Dec 8, 2013 1:02 PM

Mar 2012
That opening. That pretty much seals this as best arc.
Dec 8, 2013 2:42 PM

Jan 2008
I loved the old-school op. Surely it was really about the 1985-2002 "Koi Monogatari" by Saitou Chiho? Felt like something I'd sing at karaoke, which consists mainly of songs from the 90's.

Hope Shaft keeps up their usual antics.
Dec 8, 2013 2:42 PM

Jul 2007
Stitches327 said:
Am I the only one who thought of Hey Arnold! And Helga's shrine to Arnold when Kaiki opened that closet?

You are not the only one. I thought I might have been. xD
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Dec 8, 2013 4:08 PM

Dec 2013
There's something distractingly sexy about Ononoki's voice. Guess I'm the only one LOL. I almost fell over laughing with that robotic head tilt in an early episode.

The artistry of this series continues to blow my mind. Eccentricities galore.
Dec 8, 2013 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
THAT OP IS SO DAMN EPIC I WANT TO DIE!!!!

Fuck Shaft trying to troll me XD
Dec 8, 2013 5:21 PM

Feb 2013
That OP! It had a "classic" anime feel to it... although I did laugh at it too.

Hitagi dressed for winter... <3

Kaiki took the 3m and kept at it. His analysis of Nadeko seems plausible. Then again, how much did we really know about her anyways? Not much.
Dec 8, 2013 5:50 PM

Apr 2008
Dat Hitagi, dat OP.

Now for the main question: what's in the fucking closet? >bradpittwithagun.jpg
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Dec 8, 2013 5:55 PM

Aug 2013
lol, what was that opening? incredible
Senjougahara getting very kawaii ..
this arc is being very good, can not wait to see what's inside the closet ..
Dec 8, 2013 6:52 PM

Mar 2013
I really changed my view of Kaiki.
He's on my awesome list now.
Dec 8, 2013 6:57 PM

Aug 2012
I like the new OP, reminds me of those classic Anime. I hope Kaikimonogatari will keep on for more episodes.
Dec 8, 2013 7:17 PM
Oct 2009
hpulley said:
Her thanking him was the end of chapter 19. Next page in chapter 20, he sent her home in a taxi with a 10000 yen note.

Thanks a lot
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

148 by SouthRzVa »»
Yesterday, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

201 by SouthRzVa »»
Jun 1, 6:02 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

246 by Dragona_8002 »»
May 31, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

418 by SouthRzVa »»
May 25, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2013

296 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 24, 5:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.