Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 29, 2014 8:59 PM

Feb 2014
Definately not my kind of thing.
I don't know if it was trying to convey some kind of message, but I didn't recieve it.
Dec 26, 2014 3:06 PM

Jun 2013
I fell asleep.
Mar 21, 2015 6:38 PM

Jul 2010
Watched the whole thing, it was very interesting to me but I get why people almost feel asleep.
Jun 15, 2015 3:04 AM

Feb 2008
This might be the most pretentious piece of anime I have witnessed yet. From the 3deep4me monologue to the animation itself. Guess it might be genius party if you're an early teenager.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 18, 2015 7:34 PM

May 2010
The problem with this was not pretension, but incoherence. The topics this segment referred to were legitimate, and the ideas weren't bad (even if they often regurgitated the ideas of other thinkers). Pretension would imply that it pretends to be smart when it isn't, but that's not the case. The case is that the writer didn't make sure we connected the dots that were probably clear in his head. So many times I was following a train of thought and all of a sudden it'd jump to something else entirely. I couldn't always follow it, and as a result the episode came across as a series of loosely related observations rather than a fully expressed piece.

I'm willing to admit that part of my issue is simply that I didn't understand it. I understood it from moment to moment, but the whole eluded me. I'm not about to claim that it's bad just because it expected more effort out of me than I was willing to put into it.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 11, 2015 8:07 AM

Oct 2014
Veethorn said:
Just no...

the fuck was that?
Aug 14, 2015 10:35 PM

Mar 2015
Gives a whole new meaning to 2deep4u
Dec 8, 2015 5:21 PM
Sep 2015
Hmm, I watched this thinking I was going to take a short break from homework. I would have been better off not taking that break. I was definitely in the wrong state of mind for this story.
Dec 18, 2015 4:14 PM

May 2012
3deep5me, it was kinda interesting i guess... kinda dull though
Mar 2, 2016 11:29 PM

Feb 2010
Not sure what to think of this. I didn't think it was going to be so long. It was interesting but I personally found it boring. He said some really interesting things that I was agreeing with but after a while I just really wanted it to end. The imagery also gave me a headache :/ I think it could have been done differently. I would never watch this particular episode again.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Sep 30, 2016 1:08 AM

Sep 2014
Veggen said:
Sure was pretentious.

Yep, this episode is what I would use to explain to explain what "being pretentious" is. This was an incoherent rant disguised as something wise, intellectual and the approved truth about everything in existence. The psychedelic art was cool but I guess this episode is better enjoyed while smoking pot.
Oct 8, 2016 6:24 PM
Mar 2015
Yeah, this is probably my least favorite episode in the series so far (If the last two episodes aren't as bad or worse as this one).

I think the main reason I didn't like this episode is because this is probably the ONLY thing anime-related that just straight up BORE me. It's not like when you were entertained for a few things and didn't like that series as a whole, or dropping a manga after a few volumes. I found no entertainment in this episode. Not even the spectacular animation could make me like this episode.
Jan 10, 2017 3:31 PM

Jan 2015
That was horrible. I'm not gonna sit through 19 minutes of some dull, incoherent babble about random philosophical topics. It couldn't possibly get anymore boring than this.

The trippy visuals didn't help much either.
Jul 25, 2017 9:00 AM

Jul 2012
I dropped this one about 10 minutes in. I think this kind of philosophical essay - at least for me - would work better just read as an essay instead of presented in spoken word combined with visual images which I can't necessarily connect with the spoken text.

Either that, or it might be better to watch an analysis of the work and then watch the work to help me better unpack it.
Oct 10, 2017 2:11 AM
Jul 2018
probably the best episode here. he talks about existentialism. have to admit it was bit long and had way too many frames that i had to go back to read the subs again
Oct 23, 2017 2:33 PM
Jun 2017
I didn't like this episode. It reminded me of a guided meditation, but it wasn't all that calming. The most interesting question that was raised is why did god give his believers prayer. I guess that 20 min speech was supposed to answer it, but I couldn't stay focused enough to try to understand. Now I know what taking hallucinogens is like at least....
Nov 5, 2017 4:37 PM

Jan 2010
This sounds like the introduction to a cult.

Anyways, this short really love that hologram effect and the use of multiple layers to obscure foreground and background. I think I also saw some real life imagery used, which in combination with the psychedelic-like imagery, is apparently used to create some manner of unease and dissonance with otherwise ordinary city and office scenery. The colors are also all off to, which them changing in spectrum to create visual feelings of anxiety I suppose. Art and animation wise, the short seems extremely complex, but while the narration sounds profound, it's far too arcane for me to really make sense of. The imagery becomes more distracting than not, where I'm not always certain the spoken words, the written words and numbers, and the actual visuals actually match up. As far as I can tell, the short is trying to be an existentialist postulation combining God and numbers into the same dialogue. I believe it's trying to establish some hypothesis of God's through natural and logical means, or perhaps it's trying to quantify existence, morality, and beliefs in terms of the acts of a supposed higher being.

Yeah, I have no idea. At the very least, the short ties to establish some manner of repetition, saying similar phrases and words to interlink ideas, stringing things together so one thought leads into another despite not being spoken in a direct, conversation-like manner. Seriously, was this an introduction to a cult?
Nov 12, 2017 1:07 AM

Nov 2017
#12, almost
#38 hasn't the slightest clue

episode with the most substance; look up.
Jan 24, 2018 6:59 PM

Jan 2017
The emotion mixed with his rational reasoning, invalidated his theory.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Apr 17, 2018 1:11 PM

Jun 2013
One of the coolest episodes I've seen in anime until today. The truth is that a lot of people who watch anime are all a bunch of dumbs with shit in their heads, who can not think an inch beyond their own navels. A bunch of kids who only understand the childish language of shonens and other repetitive shits.
Rod_RussApr 17, 2018 1:14 PM
May 3, 2018 11:04 AM

Mar 2017
So, I actually sat through this entire thing and paid attention as best as I could. For those of you who fell asleep, got a headache or didn't even bother: You didn't miss anything. Sure, the visuals were really nice, but the actual monologue was pretentious as fuck and not at all "deep". Most of it was the same nonsense repeated over and over. There were maybe TWO interesting thoughts presented in the entire thing, tops...

If you want something actually thought-provoking and philosophical (also with gorgeous fucking animation), check out the movie Waking Life. It's full of great monologues and dialogues, it's very trippy, but also mindblowing. And it has an incredible soundtrack! It's one of my favorites, and if you enjoyed this episode of Genius Party for some weird reason, then I am almost certain you will also enjoy that movie.
Oct 5, 2018 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
this got to be one of the most condensed pretentious empty philosophy i've been bombarded with. in short it was pretty much about the creators showing off muh incoherent babble of makeshift knowledge.
Jan 2, 2019 7:16 AM

May 2015
Best episode here. This is the kind of stuff I expected to see in Genius Party in the first place. Loved the combination of trippy animation and the soothing voice. For the message itself, I probably need to rewatch to grasp the full meaning, but it was ok. Nothing more pretentious than your average philosophical essay.
Jul 16, 2019 3:44 PM

Dec 2016
Could only make it through the first five minutes before I wanted to rip my eyeballs out, this shit seems like the kind of thing they would hold your eyes open and force you to watch as brainwashing for a cult, idk what kind of drugs the director for this episode was on but holy fuck take them away from him this isn't healthy lmao
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 24, 2020 12:51 AM

Apr 2014
I cant help but feel this one kinda forgot that animation is a visual medium, the whole point is that you can communicate ideas visually. Instead its a 20 minute rant with nothing of value to say and nothing of value to look at. Could just have easily been an essay. That I wouldnt have read.
Nov 15, 2021 2:52 PM

Jul 2014
I mean, I should've expected it from something pretentiously called "Genius Party" (pretty arrogant for the creators to profess themselves as geniuses like that), but my god this was just an almost twenty-minute monologue of pure pretentious garbage that manages to say less than nothing.

I didn't think it could get worse than the zombie episode, but somehow it has done. Legitimately, I think this particular episode is one of the worst, most pointless pieces of media I have ever had the mispleasure of consuming.
Jul 11, 2022 12:22 PM

Apr 2019
Definition of pretentious. If for pretentious you mean thought provoking.
Jul 24, 2023 2:08 AM

Sep 2020
I am going to skip this one.
Nov 6, 2023 2:26 AM

Nov 2012
eh, honestly the weakest one yet, which is quite hilarious with how intelligent and introspective it tries it's hardest to sound.

Idunno just wasn't vibing with it and felt a bit pretentious in tone.

what was with that big booty'd high heeled geometry? lmao
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 6 Discussion

sniW - Dec 30, 2008

37 by Squin »»
Feb 28, 12:43 AM

» Similar Suggestions?

ScreamInAnguish - Jul 7, 2021

1 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:14 PM

» Limit Cycle Monologe, what are your thoughts?

Ranivus - Mar 20, 2010

5 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:51 PM

» Rank 'em

FauxAzn - Jan 8, 2012

15 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 7, 2023 4:44 PM

Poll: » Genius Party Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 24, 2008

61 by JVskunkape »»
Nov 6, 2023 3:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.