Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 30, 2011 10:48 PM

Oct 2007
x4m said:
Meddigo said:
x4m said:
Fight scenes were just as static as in original, and what the hell was that perverted expression of Hisoka when he was strangling Gon? Are they trying to make him some comedy character or what?

You claim to have seen the original, yet you are oblivious to Hisoka's perversion? lolwut.

In original Hisoka's perversion wasn't revealed until much more later in series. At first he was just a badass clown, and only later they showed perverted side of him. And now we see him as a perverted bastard from the start, so that's the difference, and a big one.

Because the glowing crotch in the ED theme didn't already scream, "Hey everybody, Hisoka's a pedo!" since episode one?
Oct 31, 2011 12:14 AM
Oct 2011
best episode yet.

yes they changed things for a bit, the overall direction was a lot better than in the previous episodes so i'm ok with it (i don't expect it to be a perfect adaptation so i won't whine in every instance where things are different...). the music greatly improved too
chikkychappyOct 31, 2011 12:45 AM
Oct 31, 2011 12:56 AM
Apr 2011
cant get over how awesome the end song is great episode btw
Oct 31, 2011 1:42 AM

Jan 2011
Because the glowing crotch in the ED theme didn't already scream, "Hey everybody, Hisoka's a pedo!" since episode one?

It really does center around his crotch! I never noticed that untill now, LOL.

Anyways, I thought this episode was okay. The highlight of this fight was supposed to be Hisoka massacring everyone, and I got him being a bad-ass while killing everyone with a touch of gracefulness?

I wanted to see Kurapica flaunt his stuff as well....oh well. I hope they do better with the next episode!

Now on to the most important question. What is Hisoka's "supposed" hair color? In the original it went from pinkish grey to red later. Now it's red? So, does that imply they messed up in the original? Thanks in advance for confirmation.
Oct 31, 2011 1:52 AM
May 2007
Don't like the current poster with text, previous textless poster I liked more. If I upload again, mods won't accept. Don't understand why in MAL mods want you to see the logo of each anime title. Also mods are too slow to accept new added characters.

That's aside, I notice the hair color for Hisoka and Menchi. Hisoka's hair may remain red forever so kids won't ask parents to dye their hair! Menchi's hair is green. I guess kids love pink so they may ask their parents to dye pink. Producers of this remake are looking too much in censoring and changing things!
Oct 31, 2011 7:00 AM
Oct 2011
CrystalTsubaki said:

Now on to the most important question. What is Hisoka's "supposed" hair color? In the original it went from pinkish grey to red later. Now it's red? So, does that imply they messed up in the original? Thanks in advance for confirmation.

I believe his hair is supposed to be red, as seen in the manga (volume 7 cover)

About the episode it was so and so, I didn't like the fact they changed it from what happened in the manga, because here Hisoka was "defending" himself instead of being the psycho he is and attacking people just because... the animation was also poor at times, I did liked Hisokas seiyuu more in this episode than in previous ones, he did good job.
I don't understand why these guys love the color green so much, Gittaracku's clothes are all green now, Menchi's hair is green, Gon is green all over, way too much green

Anyway, overall I give this episode a 4/5.
Oct 31, 2011 7:31 AM

May 2008
can't wait for the next episode.

I should read the manga!
Oct 31, 2011 9:18 AM

Jun 2011
Really Amazing ^o^
I liiked this episode soo much ,, never get tired of re-watching it !
Hisoka was extremely AWESOME >o<
can't wait for the next episode xD
Oct 31, 2011 10:33 AM

Oct 2008
Spanish ST on Hisoka xD
Oct 31, 2011 10:41 AM

Sep 2010
Tiago97 said:
insan3soldiern said:
I'm sure some fans of the original anime will still somehow complain.

Butthurt nostalgia fags will always exist.

And people that make a decent point or two will continue to exist too. It's hard to make everyone a victim of nostalgia when there are people in the "wait for this or watch the original?" topic who've just started both complain about the new version.

Oct 31, 2011 12:20 PM

Jun 2009
Hitting someone with a fishing rod on the face draws blood, yet slicing through more than one person’s torso and head does not. I see the logic.

NAMING MONSTERS FTW. … No, really, is this Pokémon, Digimon or just any game in which you name every living creature you come upon? And dat strawberry monster, yummy, Noggin’ Luggin’ Tortoise… or whatever was its name!
Oh no.

Oh Madhouse, you and your short budget.

MENCHI, WHAT HAS MADHOUSE DONE TO YOU?! NO FISHNET, GREEN HAIR, AND AYA HIRANO?! WHAT IS THIS, I DON’T EVEN… I CAN’T TAKE IT.

I’m not complaining, though. This episode was amazing! – well, from my absolutely subjective happiness-because-of-Hunter-x-Hunter-is-here-and-I-love-it point of view.

Now, talking seriously, I enjoy this no matter how annoying certain things may be.

Next week, come fast.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Oct 31, 2011 12:23 PM

Sep 2010
NAMING MONSTERS FTW. … No, really, is this Pokémon, Digimon or just any game in which you name every living creature you come upon? And dat strawberry monster, yummy, Noggin’ Luggin’ Tortoise… or whatever was its name!
Oh no.

Keeping in mind those "monsters" are just the animals of that world. So yes we always create names for living creatures. Welcome to Earth.

Oct 31, 2011 2:43 PM

Nov 2007
not sure if filler... anyway, not that exciting episode, but I wasn't expecting it... Phase 2 is going to be better. Tower is going to be awesome for sure.

anyway everyone is pretty weak from this point, easy monsters and traps, especially compared to the greed island game which is extremely hard... :P

spoiler only for those who seen the original:

wait a sec... just noticed hisoka doesn't have his green hair!! too bad...
arnxxOct 31, 2011 2:48 PM
Oct 31, 2011 2:59 PM

Mar 2009
If I'm not totally wrong, there were blood splattering everywhere and heads dropping apart from bodies when hisoka killed them in the manga. So this a nice "PG-13" sensured version. However it was still cool tho. :p I admit that if it would be 100% according to manga, this series would have been banned from television lol. :P
Oct 31, 2011 4:21 PM

Sep 2008
pokymon said:
there was blood, in the scene were gon hit hisoka

it was brown, looked like mud. There was no blood in this episode.

--

Trash episode, they did not follow the manga. Hisoka looks silly not scary like in the other version. Hated the slowing down frames parts and of course the lack of blood

1/5 worst so far, so many disapointments I seriously can't count
Oct 31, 2011 5:20 PM

Jul 2011
Mephz said:
pokymon said:
there was blood, in the scene were gon hit hisoka

it was brown, looked like mud. There was no blood in this episode.

I think it leaned more towards reddish, I'm pretty sure it was blood.
Mud would be a bit more darker.
Oct 31, 2011 5:23 PM

Apr 2009
AriSky said:

Good point. That's what i'm talking about. In original HxH there were just a couple of Hisoka acting 'wrong', and what if in a new version he's going to become like some Hard Gay?
Oct 31, 2011 5:29 PM

Aug 2009
Shadow-Chan said:
Don't like the current poster with text, previous textless poster I liked more. If I upload again, mods won't accept. Don't understand why in MAL mods want you to see the logo of each anime title. Also mods are too slow to accept new added characters.

That's aside, I notice the hair color for Hisoka and Menchi. Hisoka's hair may remain red forever so kids won't ask parents to dye their hair! Menchi's hair is green. I guess kids love pink so they may ask their parents to dye pink. Producers of this remake are looking too much in censoring and changing things!

Check out the pictures, i've made up a poster with hisoka's glowing crotch XD
Oct 31, 2011 6:23 PM
Aug 2011
Quite nice episode :)
Oct 31, 2011 10:33 PM

Jan 2011
nintat said:
CrystalTsubaki said:

I believe his hair is supposed to be red, as seen in the manga (volume 7 cover)

Thanks for the confirmation on that.

pokymon said:

Good work!

Anyways, if they keep censoring this Killua wont look as great as he does in the original or manga...=(
CrystalTsubakiOct 31, 2011 10:38 PM
Nov 1, 2011 3:52 AM
May 2007
pokymon said:

LOL that made my day, thanks ♥
Nov 1, 2011 9:00 AM

Mar 2007
Kuchenlight said:
O rly? THEY attacked Hisoka first? No Kurapika card dodging? No detailed slicing? Dat BGM?
*hate grah grah*

No honestly, I just don't like this. I'll wait for Killua's tower part, before I change it to "hate".

Can't wait to see what they do with that part.
Nov 3, 2011 1:12 AM
Apr 2011
I love this episode, but, I was expecting BLOOD from Hisoka!!!
Nov 3, 2011 3:32 AM
Feb 2010
This is a remake of the manga, not of the original.
As a great fan of the original, and being sceptical of this remake, I really enjoyed it. They fleshed out the ´deception forest´ part better, and the few drops of blood gave me a little bit hope.
Who cares if it´s filler? The original did that to other parts as well..
Nov 3, 2011 8:50 AM

Nov 2009
It was a great episode , can't wait to see new one *-*
Nov 3, 2011 2:42 PM

Aug 2011
the soundtrack was amazing this ep
Nov 4, 2011 4:51 AM

Jul 2009
Enjoying this. I care not for the lack of blood.

Monster names are pretty terribad though.
Nov 5, 2011 8:00 AM

Sep 2009
Enjoyed almost everything so far....but the music is just.. eh.
Nov 5, 2011 12:25 PM

Aug 2010
Really having fun watching this. Can't wait for subs of the next episode to be released today.
Nov 6, 2011 10:07 AM

Feb 2011
Ahmer said:
can't wait for the next episode.

I should read the manga!

No you shouldn't, but you MUST read the Manga.
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Nov 7, 2011 8:13 AM

Aug 2007

This episode was a complete disaster. First minute was wasted on recap. Then for the next 7 minutes we've had a Pokemon display, poorly done at that. The director should know that what works for manga doesn't necessarily work for anime, alas he doesn't. When I have a name of an imaginary animal written on a margin of the page it doesn't bother me. But when the animation stops and I'm forced to watch it, it's another matter. Also, they've even screwed up copying what was in the manga which is a pathetic fail on their part. Claymore mushrooms weren't spewing poisonous gas when they were stepped upon, they were exploding. Hence the name CLAYMORE (claymores are mines). Killua and Gon being swallowed by a frog was also a very bad idea and a waste of time. It made them look like average hunter-wannabes since they've let themselves to be swallowed even though we've seen how aware of his surroundings they were (specially Gon), how good reflexes they've had and how strong and fast they were. I don't get what was the purpose of that scene besides wasting seconds. Even more stupid was the way they got out. A can of juice with a bit of laxative wouldn't work on some humans but it was enough for a being 20 times their size? WTF? Not to mention that what works on humans doesn't necessarily work on other species. Creators clearly wanted to show they're not only copying but also show their own ideas. Well, they've failed miserably. Leorio being attacked by this strawberry turtle was also a waste.

The second half of the episode wasn't much better. In a way it was worse since they've spoiled a great scene. For starters why the f*ck did these three wanted to attack Hisoka (I'm talking about the moment just before Killua warned Gon about Hisoka)? Especially after seeing what they saw at the beggining of the episode (i.e. him killing the impersonator and attacking Satotz). It gave them nothing and they were risking failing the exam so why do it? Neither in the manga nor in the new anime (which is better than the manga) was sth like that but they've had to show their "creativity" *sigh*. Later, when they were separated from the main group they've also attacked him first, lol. There were other things that I didn't like but the point is - they've managed to spoil such awesome scene and make it look horrible. And if someone thinks I'm overreacting I suggest they watch the first series (episode 7 I think).
I have to mention one thing though that wasn't mentioned by anyone from what I see. Kurapica was shown as a coward which is completely off the mark. He saw the fight and Leorio struggling and yet he did not come out to help. We know he knew since he screamed Leorio's name in the moment Leorio came to face Hisoka and also later he knew exactly what Gon was talking about with Hisoka (and I'm not talking about the part which Gon told him) and that Gon managed to hit Hisoka without him telling him that. And before you start your "but it was similar in the manga too" routine, let me tell you that I consider older anime as a better creation than manga.
Gon's fear mixed with excitement was also better displayed in the old version, in the new one his panting was plainly annoying. And the scene where Hisoka killed these small fries was also bad. A red circle could work 40 years ago, when the budgets were 10 times lesser than today and when drawing something more complicated would require a lot of work. But when over 10 year old anime shows a more detailed fight and shows Hisoka's finesse better I say there is something wrong with the new one. I thought that the new anime would be better at least on a technical level but even here it fails. Music is also a lot worse, for example at the start of the episode when they were running through the swamps. It was drawing too much of an attention and didn't fit too well. Or heavy metal bits (about 8th minute) and awful ending which aren't kids' music at all.

Another big fail was revealing who Hisoka was working with. I don't understand why they didn't show Gittarackur's face in the first place when they've shown everything else (i.e. his number and pins that he had all over his body). They did the same thing with Tonpa, following the manga closely instead of following the example of old anime but this time it was even worse. Anyway, it's another example of treating viewers like idiots and hand-holding. In the new anime we could see Hisoka talking with Gittarackur and nothing else, director did not think it was necessary to show the radio with navigation (the same Hisoka had) and the person who was holding it.

Last but not least, at the end of the episode narrator said that Gon has experienced mortal fear for the first time in his life, which is not true. If they ever include the scene that should have appeared in the first episode it will be a HUMONGOUS fail. For now it's just a fail.

Anyway, another proof that old anime &gt; manga &gt; new anime.
Nov 8, 2011 9:26 AM
Feb 2008
goral said:
5[added for replies sake]

Just letting the poster above me and any others who may well be reading this know, this anime is NOT even REMOTELY accurate to the manga so would you stop saying that it is, it is giving the wrong impression. Seriously the old anime scene that you praised is pretty much exactly what happened in the manga with a bit of censoring on the old anime's part, how can you say the old anime sucks when the manga is exactly god damn the same in this respect it just makes you look ignorant and freaking stupid.

As for my verdict on this show, Hisoka is not getting to be as much of a performer as he is in the manga, personally I cannot see where this is even remotely close to the manga and the idea of it being censored violence wise disturbs me and makes me sad knowing that as the series goes on there will be more and more censorship, I just wish this series had been treated with the same loving care that FMA Brotherhood was treated to.

I was excited when I found out it was getting a remake that was more accurate to the manga, then disappointing when I found out that it is not even similar to the manga at the moment and is infact even further from the manga than the original series.

Voice acting I am quite happy except for hisoka (there is no crazy, then again they took out alot of his scenes and creepy smiles from the episode so I am guessing they are just going for a complete character rewrite)

Alllsssooo people wondering about his hair, he actually had green hair on posters/inserts for official art and then the author changed it around the battle city arc (where it was also changed in the first anime) this could be because of dye (what i would like to think) but far more likely because the author is known for being indecisive and changing his mind ALL THE TIME.

Overall the series is set to be disappointing, even more so than Gundam AGE (which looks to be the first gundam since SD gundam that I will skip, I will give it 10 eppys to prove something to me but as of now it ranks lower than G gundam in substance)

Thank god for out of the blue winners like Mirai Nikki and really surprisingly Horizon which took me by complete surprise as having buckets of well thought out plotline, development and intense action scenes (and I had almost discarded it on looks alone)
Nov 8, 2011 10:46 AM

Aug 2007
*facepalm*
Learn to read with comprehension and then post.
Nov 13, 2011 2:39 PM

Jul 2011
Hisoka's Theme is Awesome xD

This is getting more and more exciting! I missed that feeling xD &lt;3
Nov 17, 2011 2:49 AM

Jun 2009
I've seen bits and pieces of the original, and I'm happy with this remake.

As for those who seem like they have too much fun hating on this remake...

TL;DR
You don't have to watch it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2011 5:41 AM
Mar 2010
AirStyles said:

TL;DR

This. I haven't even watched the older series, but I pretty much like the current series decently. If you don't like it then i guess your times better spent rewatching the old series than rant posting on forums about how awesome it is to review 5 episodes of an anime that you don't approve of.

On another note, I didn't even realise Hisoka was pedo. XD I went back and watched that scene again to notice how he blushes while strangling Gon. That was err...unbecoming of my expectations on behalf of Hisoka. :O Kinda awesome though XD
Nov 17, 2011 12:13 PM

Sep 2010
LightningFistAce said:
AirStyles said:

TL;DR

This. I haven't even watched the older series, but I pretty much like the current series decently. If you don't like it then i guess your times better spent rewatching the old series than rant posting on forums about how awesome it is to review 5 episodes of an anime that you don't approve of.

On another note, I didn't even realise Hisoka was pedo. XD I went back and watched that scene again to notice how he blushes while strangling Gon. That was err...unbecoming of my expectations on behalf of Hisoka. :O Kinda awesome though XD

Or MAL can just make a separate sections for newfags and the old guard because the two won't see eye to eye. The newfags won't watch the old show and the old guard won't stop complaining about the new one.

Nov 17, 2011 1:34 PM

Aug 2010
I feel like that episode lasted about 5 minutes.
Jan 18, 2012 7:08 PM

Jul 2010
so are shounen for babies now? cmon, put som blood and stuff.

Mar 27, 2012 8:27 AM

Jul 2009
The pacing has slowed down which is good. This episode was pretty much perfect aside from the lack of blood but I've come to expect that from modern anime.
Apr 9, 2012 4:42 AM

Aug 2011
supermegasonic said:
so are shounen for babies now? cmon, put som blood and stuff.

Because having fanservice makes an anime mature.
Jun 3, 2012 11:21 AM

Jan 2011
No blood? C'mon. It's fine though. Hisoka is still badass.
Jun 5, 2012 10:59 PM

Mar 2007
goral said:
Last but not least, at the end of the episode narrator said that Gon has experienced mortal fear for the first time in his life, which is not true. If they ever include the scene that should have appeared in the first episode it will be a HUMONGOUS fail. For now it's just a fail.

Ah, I must have missed that part.
Jan 3, 2013 6:07 PM
Jul 2012
this got dark damn im loving this
Feb 22, 2013 4:04 PM

Jan 2012
lol!leorio moment: "if i could move up front id already be there"
lame moment: those cards are supposed to be scary but it doesnt work when a card going two cm into the back of a guy's head kills him on impact. laaaame.
scariest moment: hisoka's face when he said "i like that" while choking gon. holy shit repulsive
wtf moment: hisoka smiling and saying gon will be a good hunter. kindly. stop isnt he like archvillain
bamf: ......hisoka too
Feb 23, 2013 9:55 AM

Mar 2012
This is how the cards worked in the manga (colored)
End Zionazism
Feb 23, 2013 11:43 AM

Jan 2012
yeah that actually looks lethal. the one across the eyes is esp impressive. its a shame how they censored that in the anime, then.
Jun 7, 2013 2:12 PM

Nov 2011
Frog-in-waiting
Ohohohoho

Just going to say that although I find Hisoka a bit creepy, he's kinda cool at the same time with his calm personality and those evil grins.
Jul 18, 2013 2:40 PM
Jul 2012
Great episode.
Wow, I wondered if Hisoka was a hunter for now when he was acting as a judge. Such a great guy with excellent skills!
5/5
Nov 28, 2013 11:41 PM

Jul 2013
cantius said:
UnknowablE said:
goral said:
5[added for replies sake]

Just letting the poster above me and any others who may well be reading this know, this anime is NOT even REMOTELY accurate to the manga so would you stop saying that it is, it is giving the wrong impression. Seriously the old anime scene that you praised is pretty much exactly what happened in the manga with a bit of censoring on the old anime's part, how can you say the old anime sucks when the manga is exactly god damn the same in this respect it just makes you look ignorant and freaking stupid.

As for my verdict on this show, Hisoka is not getting to be as much of a performer as he is in the manga, personally I cannot see where this is even remotely close to the manga and the idea of it being censored violence wise disturbs me and makes me sad knowing that as the series goes on there will be more and more censorship, I just wish this series had been treated with the same loving care that FMA Brotherhood was treated to.

I was excited when I found out it was getting a remake that was more accurate to the manga, then disappointing when I found out that it is not even similar to the manga at the moment and is infact even further from the manga than the original series.

Voice acting I am quite happy except for hisoka (there is no crazy, then again they took out alot of his scenes and creepy smiles from the episode so I am guessing they are just going for a complete character rewrite)

Alllsssooo people wondering about his hair, he actually had green hair on posters/inserts for official art and then the author changed it around the battle city arc (where it was also changed in the first anime) this could be because of dye (what i would like to think) but far more likely because the author is known for being indecisive and changing his mind ALL THE TIME.

Overall the series is set to be disappointing, even more so than Gundam AGE (which looks to be the first gundam since SD gundam that I will skip, I will give it 10 eppys to prove something to me but as of now it ranks lower than G gundam in substance)

Thank god for out of the blue winners like Mirai Nikki and really surprisingly Horizon which took me by complete surprise as having buckets of well thought out plotline, development and intense action scenes (and I had almost discarded it on looks alone)

Mirai Nikki did not have a well thought out plot line...
Anyways, this show does seem censored, but I'm still enjoying it.
OLD, old comment that you're looking at. The argument of the 1999 anime being more hardcore is sort of a load of crap. The show gets censored less and less as it goes on. Though - they still omit quite some stuff from the manga, but it's a TV show. So, not much can be done about that.
GalekCNov 28, 2013 11:46 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Knov's shoes

Guaxinito - Sep 22

3 by Cory0905 »»
Yesterday, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 105 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2013

150 by oozePOP »»
Sep 22, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1046 by Ougi0Best0Girl »»
Sep 20, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 15, 2013

162 by samagra7 »»
Sep 19, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

933 by LizIsListing »»
Sep 18, 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.