Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 1, 2011 12:50 PM

Dec 2009
insan3soldiern said:
No your not. But, I thought it was pretty good. It's not Gintama at it's very best, but I think the fight scenes were much better than many shounen I've seen.

This. This arc was average, But this episode was incredible :) The best ting is though that we'll be back to epic Gintama humor :)
Oct 21, 2011 7:37 PM

Jul 2010
PURE BEAST. Caan't wait 'till next appearance of Takasugi and the headphones guy.

:)) And fun stuff next episode! I love Gintama to no extent!

And I really like how the ending song is at the end sometimes, it gives it so much variety and it's a beautiful setup. I love the OST for Gintama, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. :3

I don't wanna catch up to where the show is though, that means a week for each episode! D: Well, at least the show is still going :)

This ep : 5/5
Gintama : 10
:D
Dec 5, 2011 9:37 AM

Feb 2010
DAT ANIMATION! O_O

I like the serious episodes more than comedy ones, but I think the justaway arc was better than this one. (The one that gintoki lost his memories)

Monochrome said:
parikool said:
And is that guy who always has headphones and listens to otae-san's songs her manager too? I kinda thought he was the manager all this while. I forget what gave me that idea.
But, now that he's with Takasugi, I doubt that he is the manager....

His name is Kawakami Bansai and he is still the manager even now. That's like his side job...I guess and he listens to Otsuu's songs not Otae's. Otae is Shinpachi's sister.
I was really looking forward to see him fight. -_- Is it my imagination or does he talk a lot like Kenshin?
LaZyZeR0 said:
d388 said:
lindork said:
The serioiusness came off as pretentiousness to me. I didn't like it. Can't complain about the length of the arc though. :) I'm just glad they didn't have 10 episode staring contests.

I agree, actually I think it was the worst Gintama episode ever. I didn't really like this whole arc, it was just some senseless shounen crap with little humour. I hope Gintama gets back to comedy and stays like that for a long while.

If you hate shounen so much then why are you even watching Gintama?
because he thinks hating on shonen makes him look intelligent, unaware of the fact that Gintama is indeed shonen. >_>
Dec 26, 2011 5:09 PM

May 2011
amazing arc. cant w8 for more :D
Dec 28, 2011 8:50 AM

Feb 2009
Gintama is a Shounen Parody of itself, but it's amazing how it still manages to be one of the most entertaining action shounens out there if it wants to. That is the proof of a great show. So much comedy, drama and thrills in the the same package.
Jun 25, 2012 1:35 AM

Mar 2012
Veethorn said:
Gintama is a Shounen Parody of itself, but it's amazing how it still manages to be one of the most entertaining action shounens out there if it wants to. That is the proof of a great show. So much comedy, drama and thrills in the the same package.
couldnt have said it better...amazing episode

and that ending fight was badass!!
Jul 18, 2012 12:01 AM

May 2012
The end of the Benizakura arc... wow.
It was long, it was freaking fantastic. I laughed, I cried more than once. Gintama seems to be doing that, the more I watch. Because I started this series with Gintama' I already had a good feel of the characters, but going and watching this... I understand why people had such emotional responses to what they saw of Gintama.
Beautiful, I can't wait to see what is next.
Aug 19, 2012 11:39 AM

Mar 2010
awesome ep
elizabeth <3
Feb 8, 2013 10:16 PM

Jan 2013
Thank you Tychus for posting one of the best photos of Gintama so far, in my opinion.

This really was a great episode.
When Katsura is explaining to Takasugi that he has the same feelings of wiping the world clean as he does, but cannot do it, seeing Gintoki accept, or at least try to accept the world the way it is currently.
I realized why Gintoki has no motivation, AKA lazy, the depressing nature of his past has sort of left him scarred in this current world.
That sounds like a basic story element, "The protagonist has a dark past" type of thing.
But realizing this, I believe they did an amazing job on pacing that part of his life, he's still trying to accept the world, at the cost of his emotions and motivation.

I may be reading into it more than I should, but in my opinion, this is beautiful.

And so is this image:

Amazing Gintama, you have won my praise as one of the best anime I have ever seen, as well as one of the best feel good shows... well, Ever.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
KuandohanFeb 8, 2013 10:25 PM
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Mar 13, 2013 10:23 AM

Oct 2012
"What are you Lupin?"
"it's not Lupin it's Zura"
Seeing Gin-chan killing the aliens was pretty cool. 10/10 arc
Aug 15, 2013 9:52 AM

May 2012
Nice episode with some touching moments and great action, a pretty good ending I must say! Lets see what's next!
Oct 2, 2013 11:10 AM

Apr 2012
StormViruz said:
great arc.. packed with action but still with funny moments..

"I'm not Lupin, its Zura.."

"Ah, thats not right. Its Katsura.." LOL

Had me in stitches! a fantastic mix of comedy and action. This show gets better and better!
Dec 15, 2013 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
That was an hell of an ending. Now I'm sad that this arc is over.

We also know now what are Takasumi motive. He's pretty much a chaotic anarchist.

Gin-san pulled out some awesome moves in his fight, I stopped to count them. I laughed so much when Shinpachi take the ''drunk'' fighting stance xD Kagura as awesome as always.

It was nice to see Gintoki and Katsura fighting together the Amanto, like in their past.

Also, the not-so-much-of-a-douche-than-he-could-have-been brother passed out in peace with himself and is sister. Kinda sad story.

One thing that I noticed is that the two last episode title weren't stupid and/or random like they used to be. But, now I guess it's back to the random comedy.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 9, 2014 4:56 PM

Jun 2013
That was fucking amazing
Jun 9, 2014 8:59 AM

Apr 2014
When Gintoki and Nizo Had Their Final 1 Hit Slash...And Gintoki Sword...That Made by Tetsuko Break In half...Tetsuya Realize His Mistake and Made Up with his Sister...And Die A Pathetic Death...A Soundtrack Played Out Between that Time...It was a Good Soundtrack...I got a little Teary...
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Aug 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Dec 2013
This arc... turned Gintama into a generic, but uninteresting shounen.
Bring back the comedy ..
Rupan ja nai, Zura da! Ah, machigae da, Katsura da. xD ok, this was golden. 2/5 for the episode thanks to this line.
I didn't notice Zura's new hairstyle until now, when did it change actually?

kasumisama said:
YES IT'S OVER.

Back to our regularly scheduled comedy or a drop will be forthcoming.
Sep 1, 2014 8:35 PM

Apr 2014
THAT WAS GOOD.

Sep 26, 2014 1:59 PM
Mar 2012
Kyouraku-san said:
I didn't notice Zura's new hairstyle until now, when did it change actually?
When that assassin dude left him for (supposedly) dead, he cut off his hair.
I actually liked it better before, it looks weird.

Gin and Zura - the force is strong with those.
I do like the occasional bad-assery Gintama shows and I think 4 episodes is a good length for a more serious arc.

What IS Elisabeth exactly?
We will probably never know.
Nov 12, 2014 8:37 AM

Apr 2012
Awesome arc. It seems Takasugi will do some more harm in the future.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 6, 2014 7:20 PM

Jun 2014
The fight scenes were top notch, the sword took over and he became the spaghetti monster

Jan 5, 2015 11:50 AM

Nov 2013
Best arc by a mile so far. Dat fight at the end though :3

Katsuras hair looks pretty cool like that too ;o
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 17, 2015 5:06 PM

Sep 2014
This arc was just a load of pretentious nonsensical bullshit, definitely a low in the gintama series, it just wanted to be something serious so badly that it crammed as much serious atmosphere and tone without a genuinely serious plot to back it up.
A lot of aspects just did not make sense at all either;
How could Shinpachi, a third rate samurai who only trains in a dojo, keep his own against elite samurai and assassins?
Why were the sword smiths only now ashamed of what they created because of how they were used, THEY ARE SWORDS- USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR KILLING, even if they thought the sword they sold to everyone of their costumers had a "righteous" path there must have been some samurai who have done bad deeds before the people in this arc
Little problems like these, that plagued this arc, aren't acceptable when the arc has this serious tone. Contrasting to when i can tolerate these issues in a normal comedic arc SINCE it is comedy and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I do hope Gintama just stops being as pretentious as it was being this last arc and it gets better. I love this show after all.
Jan 29, 2015 11:19 AM

Nov 2013
The best episode so far, I didn't even notice I was so invested in it until I shed a tear after Tetsuya's death. This arc was great, I hope the other stories are as good as this and the comedic episodes get closer to the level of the hot-pot and "horror" episodes.
Feb 7, 2015 12:25 AM
Aug 2014
I liked this arc a lot. Not the greatest arc ever but still..pretty good. I like the serious atmosphere too along with comedy. So, yeah. I'm glad I decided to watch this show. It's pretty great till now. I didn't think it would be this good when I started it. I'm hoping for more back stories to Gintoki and others. Well..on to the next episode.
Feb 13, 2015 1:04 AM

Dec 2012
I loved this arc, it was a nice change of pace. I think the first two episodes of it were the best though. I loved all that drama, mystery, and intensity. We also saw sides of characters like Shinpachi, Otae, and Elizabeth we never really saw much of before.

Reathonax said:
How could Shinpachi, a third rate samurai who only trains in a dojo, keep his own against elite samurai and assassins?

This bugged me. Also Kagura catching bullets and Kijima refusing to shoot anybody but her for some reason.

At least the fights that really mattered were done well imo.
Feb 14, 2015 10:55 AM
Dec 2014
Gintoki was fucking badass this arc.
Feb 24, 2015 6:57 PM

Nov 2012
"Lupin ja nai, Zura da! Ah, machigae ta. Katsura da!"

Very good arc,though I was expecting to be much better.
Mar 2, 2015 8:52 PM

Jul 2014
Really? What's with this high rating? This arc was so dull, just like your average shounen. Really under average.
Mar 3, 2015 6:05 PM
Nov 2013
This arc certainly did have flaws, but everything does. Whether it was pretentious or not...that's something that can be rather subjective, but I didn't think it really was.

I don't think having the more serious arc is out of character for Gintama. There have been lots of dramatic episodes up to this point, even if they were only single episodes (and many of these, in my opinion, have been closer to gag-inducing sentimentality than this arc). One of Gintama strengths is being able to hit different emotional notes.

I've been waiting for this arc since Takasugi's first appearance and arcs like it since way before his first appearance. The many single episode stories Gintama had at its beginning (because they thought they were going to be cancelled?) has set up an interesting situation, narrative wise: the series has so many characters and situations it can further develop for dramatic/comedic/satiric effect, and I doubt this will be the last dramatic arc in a 200+ episode anime.
Mar 14, 2015 10:28 PM

Jun 2012
I rather have more seriousness that funny/random episodes in Gintama, maybe that's why I felt it was more epic since is so rare to have some serious fighting scenes.

It never crossed my mind that this arc could be pretentious, I thought it was epic and it left me craving for more, I want to know the sad history behind Gin's past, how Takasugi lost his eye, what exactly happened with the teacher the 3 of them loved, and why is Gintoki more affected that the rest of them.
Maybe some people watch Gintama for the funny plot and so I do but then again I LOVE SHOUNEN and I love Gintama even more that I know it can be serious and it can show me some good fighting scenes and yeah I'm a sucker for sad pasts so Gintama gets better and better for me.
Apr 19, 2015 11:27 AM

Dec 2013
DAMN da fights
Apr 24, 2015 2:40 PM

Dec 2012
Epic arc is over. Kagura was impressive. The last scene with Gintoki and Katsura was great, they are good comrade.
May 31, 2015 4:52 AM

Jan 2015
That was amazing! The whole arc was great! Gintama truly does get better and better. Also, Katsura accidentally calling himself Zura at the end made me crack up xD
Can't wait to watch the movie version to see added scenes and the fights in better quality!
Jul 12, 2015 9:45 AM
Nov 2014
Katsura and Gintoki ftw! Epic shit near the end xD, that parachute though. Great arc, definitely my favourite so far from this series.
Oct 12, 2015 3:40 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Benizakura arc is over. It was so great that word can't even describe it!

∞/5
Jan 2, 2016 10:00 PM

Apr 2015
This was so awesome! I watched it in the movie version and it had 16:9 aspect ratio and better graphics. was awesome.
LibriLectorJan 2, 2016 10:01 PM
Jan 2, 2016 10:26 PM

Mar 2014
LibriLector said:
This was so awesome! I watched it in the movie version and it had 16:9 aspect ratio and better graphics. was awesome.
Plus it had one of the greatest fights in anime.
Jan 6, 2016 12:55 PM

Dec 2012
Lmao i'm not Lupin i'm Zura...ja nai Katsura xD
Loved the arc overall.
Curious about what that notebook is though...
Jan 8, 2016 10:28 PM

Mar 2013
Loved it, great ep. Gintoki was serious ^^ Is Kagura really 100+ yrs old? Maybe it was a joke?
Jan 16, 2016 5:06 PM
Dec 2014
Really i don't understand people who say this episode is bad.If the episodes is a serious episode you should judge it's seriousness if it's a comedy episodes judge it's comedy.
If you don't like mix of seriousness and comedy it not your type of anime and not that the anime is bad and just go watch a 100% serious anime or a 100% comedy anime
Feb 2, 2016 5:43 AM

Jan 2016
Amazing arc and amazing episode. Fantastic fights!
Feb 13, 2016 10:35 PM

Oct 2013
eeeeeeehhhhhh, the arc ended up not being as good as the first episode of the arc made me believe, but it was still pretty cool. The focus on Katsura was sweet. I wonder what that notebook is about.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 23, 2016 5:58 AM

Jan 2016
This episode/arc was fookin legendary, dat Gintoki x Katsura duo ohh booooy

"Lupin janai! Zura da! ah that's not right, Katsura da!" LMAOOOOO

Can't believe i almost dropped this show
Sep 14, 2016 7:42 PM

May 2016
LOVED how this episode ended and the dynamic team that is gintoki and katsura. even though i love the humor in gintama, when it gets serious - IT GETS SERIOUS. i wouldn't even mind if gintama suddenly became this serious, angsty anime. i'd love to learn more about the background story between them. only thang missing was some shinsengumi lovin', other than that, i was satisfied. katsura better not grow his hair anytime soon.

until the next serious arc.
"ドSではない。迢ドSだ." - 蘇芳先生、月華撩乱 Romance

Nov 1, 2016 11:19 AM

Jul 2013
Those fight scenes with Gin and Katsura were epic!

I'm glad they destroyed Benizakura in the end! Gin was so cool when he did it.

And Kagura! she's so badass!

I can't believe they bailed in the end and the Elizabeth parachute! LOL!

I liked the flashbacks too!
Nov 15, 2016 12:09 PM

May 2013
I like how this anime series can go from being straight comedy, to a more serious tone so quickly.
Was nice to see that and hope to see more of it.
Jan 17, 2017 11:31 AM

Apr 2009
Only 4 episodes arc. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2017 9:39 PM

Oct 2016
From hindsight I don't think this arc is pretentious at all. Pretension by my perception is when drama is over-exaggerated, but considering the long plot - backstories, future arcs, etc., this arc hardly exaggerated at all. Of course being a low-budget and rather old anime it's pacing and animation could be done better, but pretension? No.
Mar 2, 2017 2:24 AM

Jan 2012
So nice of them to let us know upfront this was the finale to the Benizakura Arc. :D Anywho...Clash! Gintoki vs Nizo!

And it looks like Gintoki has the upper hand:

Kagura ain't doin so bad herself! :D

However, when the Benizakura transforms Nizo into a rampaging beast everyone is pulled into the struggle:

In the end Gintoki is victorious...by ripping off Inuyasha! :D Seriously that whole power to protect stuff? INUYASHA! :D I'm sure this arc made Rumiko Takahashi proud considering how much it reminded me of her work. :D

RIP Nizo, I assume, and Tetsuya, no assuming there. Poor Tetsuko. :(

Well as it turns out Takasugi doesn't fight Katsura afterall...yet anyway. Instead we learn the motivation behind his goal: avenging Shoyo, the man who taught them both and Gintoki:

We also learn he's in cahoots with the Harusame via Bansai, who also didn't really fight this arc. In the end Gintoki and Katsura flee after everyone else while warning Takasugi that the next time they meet will be...to the death! In a scene reminiscent of the end of Bleach's Soul Society Arc only probably written first, not sure:

So that was the Benizakura Arc, Gintama's first really serious one. Pretty fun, but felt like an appetizer more than anything. Where's the rest!? :D
Mar 2, 2017 3:04 AM

Oct 2016
animefan8800 said:
So nice of them to let us know upfront this was the finale to the Benizakura Arc. :D Anywho...Clash! Gintoki vs Nizo!

And it looks like Gintoki has the upper hand:

Kagura ain't doin so bad herself! :D

However, when the Benizakura transforms Nizo into a rampaging beast everyone is pulled into the struggle:

In the end Gintoki is victorious...by ripping off Inuyasha! :D Seriously that whole power to protect stuff? INUYASHA! :D I'm sure this arc made Rumiko Takahashi proud considering how much it reminded me of her work. :D

RIP Nizo, I assume, and Tetsuya, no assuming there. Poor Tetsuko. :(

Well as it turns out Takasugi doesn't fight Katsura afterall...yet anyway. Instead we learn the motivation behind his goal: avenging Shoyo, the man who taught them both and Gintoki:

We also learn he's in cahoots with the Harusame via Bansai, who also didn't really fight this arc. In the end Gintoki and Katsura flee after everyone else while warning Takasugi that the next time they meet will be...to the death! In a scene reminiscent of the end of Bleach's Soul Society Arc only probably written first, not sure:

So that was the Benizakura Arc, Gintama's first really serious one. Pretty fun, but felt like an appetizer more than anything. Where's the rest!? :D

watch the movie version for the Gintoki and Katsura vs Harusame. They improved that fight by an astronomical margin.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 160 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - Jun 4, 2009

108 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Gintama Episode 189 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

llamaben - Dec 24, 2009

151 by assererre »»
Jun 3, 10:01 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 150 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

PandaPuff - Mar 26, 2009

123 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 3, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 142 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

190 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 3, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

72 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Jun 1, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.