Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 23, 2023 4:53 PM

Apr 2010
kusairo said:
Pretentious (adj) 
1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc. than is actually possessed. 
2. trying to appear or sound more important or intelligent, especially in matters of art and literature.
3. having or creating a deceptive outer appearance of great worth.

synonyms: showy, ostentatious, flowery, bombastic, grandiloquent

A great example of something being pretentious in real life would be color field paintings in museums. There are many different types of pretentiousness, but this is just one of many. 

Is there any anime that you consider to be pretentious? Why?
Yep, I would say The Tatami Galaxy. It's the combination of its art direction, specific historical and geographical references randomly being brought up, the main character quickly jumping from one random topic to another, his ultra-fast talking, and many other factors that made the anime seem pretentious to me. 

yeah, was just about to look the word in dictionary myself. 
and, by going with the definition, Code Geass is pretty damn pretentious. So far so they actually make plot holes to make it appear more intelligent.
I bet if I dug onto it, I would find plenty of other such examples. 

THEN

Does being pretentious make a show bad necessarily? 
- No, I don't think so. 

Feb 23, 2023 4:59 PM
Jan 2017
WatchTillTandava said:
Going based off of how I have actually seen people use the term in practice:

- Any anime they don't understand

- Any anime they disagree with the underlying core message or messages of

- Any anime they disagree with what they think the underlying core message or messages of are

- Any anime they're not interested in in the first place because of its length, pacing, subject matter, art style, genres, airdate, or any other factor, and therefore don't understand because they were actively disinterested in watching it seriously and accepting anything about it in the first place in a non-catty and non-sardonic, open minded manner. And for some reason also dislike seeing other people lavish praise or speak positively about it in any sense because they dislike, disagree with, and/or are disinterested in some aspect about it. Oh, and for some other reason they've decided that dislike, disagreement, and/or disinterest just makes the writers and other viewers stupid
Yep, this pretty much sums it up perfectly. 
Feb 23, 2023 5:30 PM
Jun 2022
EyeAmTheI said:
NoblesseEssentia said:
The way I see it, we need to ask ourselves "what is it pretending to be" every time we call something pretentious. In Konosuba's case, you can't really say it is pretending to be funny.
It's "pretending to be" a criticism of the isekai genre though (which I find irrelevant). Also, it "pretending to be" a comedy, and it definietly trying to be funny, and in my case it kinda failed (apart from a few jokes). So I would be curious, would you call it pretentious if you were me or not? Or you would still say it cannot be pretentious?
I'll be honest. I've never called a show pretentious if it didn't try to be deep. Ghost in the Shell, Tatami Galaxy, Madoka, Code Geass, AOT, etc. are what I usually call pretentious. I learnt to the use of that word from the community.
Konosuba for me never felt like it was trying to be something more than what it actually was. I was parody, not a criticism of the isekai genre. So, we disagree on the most fundamental point (or you just said it for the sake of the argument).

"Also, it "pretending to be" a comedy, and it definietly trying to be funny, and in my case it kinda failed (apart from a few jokes)."
I didn't properly explain my point well. It needs to pretend something it isn't, for it to be considered pretentious. The mangaka definitely wasn't trying to be funny. He was just trolling. But it is my judgement on the situation. If you think Konosuba was pretending to be something it isn't, you can surely call it pretentious.
Feb 23, 2023 10:08 PM

Jul 2017
KumAh-sama said:
yeah, was just about to look the word in dictionary myself. 
and, by going with the definition, Code Geass is pretty damn pretentious. So far so they actually make plot holes to make it appear more intelligent.
I bet if I dug onto it, I would find plenty of other such examples. 

THEN

Does being pretentious make a show bad necessarily? 
- No, I don't think so. 
Hmm yeah, it's been a very long time since I've last seen Code Geass, and I don't remember there being any noticeably pretentious moments personally. Not sure if it's because I've only seen season 1 or not lol. I might give it a rewatch sometime in the future though just to refresh my memory and see if my perspective changes. As for whether pretentiousness makes a show bad or not, I think it depends on the type of pretentiousness. For the most part though, I would say "probably not" since pretentiousness in anime is still pretty subjective. 
Feb 23, 2023 10:48 PM

Aug 2009
I'm also in the camp of 'no pretentious anime, only pretentious people'.

Feb 23, 2023 10:57 PM

Mar 2019
Mostly the word pretentious is reserved for works that try to have depth, however I do think in most cases the word boils down to a buzzword, used to cut down any attempt at discussion. Everyone is free to think that something is poorly written, because different people have differing standards, yet I wonder if this would count as something being pretentious. Mostly the word pretentious would be a word to either express disappointment or annoyance at some aspect of a story, or at a story methinks.

Some people would call modern art "pretentious" or even "meaningless", yet modern art has clearly defined meaning which it aims to express, some people just don't agree with that meaning. By definition all art has meaning, whether it's pretending to somehow have more meaning than it has in reality, would be entirely up to the viewer. Some stuff is just bad though, although I guess you can only be lied to if you have trust.

I guess what is "pretentious" and what is not, would be an entirely subjective ordeal. At the end of the day it would largely be down to whether a story personally resonates with someone, is what I'm trying to imply. Communication is like a pretty cool thing. 
Feb 24, 2023 12:16 AM

Dec 2021
A lot of mixed views here.

I don't even want to follow the same pattern otherwise it will poison me and deplete my brain cells.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Feb 24, 2023 1:45 AM

Dec 2022
Don't know if Evangelion itself is pretentious, but it sure attracted a lot of pretentious fans.
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Feb 24, 2023 2:00 AM
Jun 2022
EyeAmTheI said:
@NoblesseEssentia Yeah, I mostly just argued for the sake of argument. Honestly, I don't think Konosuba is pretentious (Despite I do think it somewhat tried to be something, at least the anime. I didn't read the manga). Actually, I rarely call anything pretentious. Even if when I do, I only call something as such, if it is "sooo deeeeep", but in a really surefire well-established trope heavy way which you have seen a trillion times (like "thank you, captain obvious"). Which makes me roll my eyes... You know, the "safe bets". (Sometimes I call something emotion when it try to forcefully evoke emotions, but it feels unnatural)
Same. I like sad stories but majority of them are so stupid. It is as if the message is "stupidity is the reason for your suffering".
Feb 24, 2023 2:49 AM

Jul 2019
Fans, fans make an anime pretentious
Feb 24, 2023 3:06 AM

Apr 2019
In context of anime, it's just a bad criticism used by people who don't really know why do they dislike a series. It's also a very common criticism for shows that try to give any sort of deeper messages by their narratives. Anime fans really hate shows that try to give messages via storytelling. It holds no meaning in my opinion.
Feb 24, 2023 3:46 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Pretentiousness is defined as trying to come across as more deep than you actually are
While it'd be easy for me to say that certain shows I dislike feel like they're being pretentious, I can only think of one example which actually fits the bill. Unfortunately, it's probably gonna be a hot-take...

Neon Genesis Evangelion
The last arc (and also End of Evangelion) paint a picture of Evangelion being some deep show with deep Christian themes. ...Even though I'm pretty sure Anno wrote every episode of Evangelion on the fly and he literally confirmed that the Christian stuff was just there "because it looks cool"

Evangelion is absolutely not as deep as its climax pretends it is. Now, that doesn't mean one can't find relatability in Shinji's battle with depression or think that the action is really cool, or whatever. But it's not any deeper than any other mecha show. Cool themes =/= deep themes; pretentious =/= bad
My greatest contribution to this website:
Feb 24, 2023 3:46 AM

Mar 2015
I think OP is asking for what you guys would see as telltale signs of an anime being pretentious (plus some examples). I don't think OP's asking for your completly made up ideas about what the word even means; it HAS a definition, people!
Feb 24, 2023 3:47 AM

Oct 2019
an anime that tries to be deep/philosophical/artsy/meaningful and.... this is the most important part... FAILS AT DOING IT!!!!

so because of that last bit that no one seems to fucking know, the word is slowly losing it's actual meaning. people now just call every "unique" or "heavy" show they don't like pretentious. 

platinum end is a perfect example of a pretentious show.

some of the symbolism is evangelion is pretentious, not because it's there, but because some of the symbolism doesn't mean anything.

but for the love of haruhi stop calling shit like sonny boy, ghost in the shell or monster pretentious. learn what your insults mean before using them. 
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Feb 24, 2023 5:52 AM

Apr 2010
kusairo said:

Hmm yeah, it's been a very long time since I've last seen Code Geass, and I don't remember there being any noticeably pretentious moments personally. Not sure if it's because I've only seen season 1 or not lol. I might give it a rewatch sometime in the future though just to refresh my memory and see if my perspective changes. As for whether pretentiousness makes a show bad or not, I think it depends on the type of pretentiousness. For the most part though, I would say "probably not" since pretentiousness in anime is still pretty subjective. 

Yeah, I didn't think about it before either, but when I watched the 1st 3 eps with a friend to rewatch it yeah, it is just that badly riddled with plot holes and pretentiousness. 
As said, this is when going with the dictionary definition of the word. 

Feb 24, 2023 12:46 PM

Nov 2020
Catalano said:
there's no pretentious anime, only pretentious fans that make it looks so overly complex when it's not
they do that because it looks cool and makes them feel good about themselves
Anime themselves can try to appear more deep. My examples are Garden of Sinners movie 7, Code Geass and Blue Lock
Feb 24, 2023 12:52 PM

Nov 2020
Stardrake said:
KMIR said:
I would like to know your opinion on this. What makes an anime pretentious? I think many people use that expression for very different things.

Is ther any anime that you consider pretentious? Why?
Attack on Titan is your perfect example of being pretentious. It starts like shounen,  though unique shounen at that time. And instead on building on that, it goes into complete, let's say for the purpose of being respectful, different direction where it does not belong. 
Who are you to decide a direction of a manga? And developing isn't pretentious by default. In fact, more often it's a positive thing
Feb 24, 2023 12:53 PM

Mar 2022
Catalano said:
Stardrake said:
Really? I just named you one. Right below your own post lol
Or do you stand by idea that anime or any form of entertainment can't be pretentious?
nope, shingeki no kyojin isn't pretentious after the time skip, the show is about war and they showed both sides, it's easy to understand
as to your question, no anime is pretentious, even stuff like lain and rahxephon, they are intentionally made weird and incomprehensible because there's an audience for that that enjoys weird sorta complex anime. the enjoyment comes from that weird element. No one wants to make anime that's not fun to watch.
I blame the shingeki fans for making it like that but in the end, it's just about war, sure the Paths thing is complex but not pretentious and you can have fun just following the action.

another example is houseki no kuni, the anime/manga is literally a buddhist text but am I a buddhist scholar? no. Do I understand the major themes of it after a first read? yes
Ok, wait. Cuz you'r coming from different perspective. You are associating things like complex and hard to understand with pretentious. That's not the definition of the word. So, no. Time skip in Shingeki has nothing to do with it. The show is about war? I think that's simplistic way to judge it but we can go that route. So, it is about war. Guess what? So is Naruto. The setting, personal goals and motivation are different, sure. That is irrelevant. What is relevant in this case is that both shows are battle shounen. The difference is that Naruto does not pretend to be anything else. Shingeki on the other hand has convinced many that it is way more than that.  
Feb 24, 2023 12:56 PM

Nov 2020
perfectionFound said:
Stuff like One Outs or Death Note.
Imagine how your average person thinks a genius is like and tries to create a character out of that erroneous image. You end up with something full of cringe moments and the most unrealistic plot twists. 

fits the definition perfectly

Pretentious
Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed.

Only a dumb and inexperienced child could be impressed by tricks that will never work outside the author's mind.
Light Yagami is a very realistic smart character
Feb 24, 2023 1:08 PM

Dec 2021
Like any other buzzword "pretentious" (on the internet) is a word people that lacks intelligence, critical thinking, argumentative skills or the ability to discuss topics use when they want to participate in a discussion without really having anything to say
Feb 24, 2023 1:13 PM

Mar 2022
MarkVijet said:
Stardrake said:
Attack on Titan is your perfect example of being pretentious. It starts like shounen,  though unique shounen at that time. And instead on building on that, it goes into complete, let's say for the purpose of being respectful, different direction where it does not belong. 
Who are you to decide a direction of a manga? And developing isn't pretentious by default. In fact, more often it's a positive thing
What do you mean? It went where it went. Author did that. It has nothing to do with me. That doesn't mean it wasn't pretentious though.
Feb 24, 2023 1:39 PM

Feb 2014
Pretentious means pretending to be something they are not, most commonly referred to pretending to be deep or intelligent or profound while actually being shallow.

Terribly difficult to determine if something is actually pretentious or if you're just suffering from Dunning Krueger syndrome (I would argue it's the latter in most cases when someone brings it up).
Feb 24, 2023 1:45 PM

Dec 2021
Helltaker said:
Anime that try to portray themselves smarter then they actually are like Vinland Saga, Legend of Galactic Heroes, FLCL, Texhnolyze etc.
In alot of ways they suffer from "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome where people like to pretend they also see how "smart" they are to fit with the crowd which is kind of annoying to those who can see through pseudo-intellectuall mirage.
Funnily enough this is literally the most pretentious comment in this thread.
Basically what you're saying here is that your taste is objective, there is no actual possibility that the shows you mentioned (and i imagine many others as well) may be considered good by other people for genuine reasons but only for conforming (why there would be the need to when the show has no value? I mean, who were conforming to the people that liked it when it was airing or when it wasn't regarded as a "classic" yet?), sheep mentality, hipsterism, *insert random buzzwords routinely use to never discuss the merit of things here*
Basically a truly "everyone's stupid except me moment". Congrats, like most "anti-elitists" you are literally what you hate
Feb 24, 2023 1:50 PM

Dec 2021
Stardrake said:
MarkVijet said:
What do you mean? It went where it went. Author did that. It has nothing to do with me. That doesn't mean it wasn't pretentious though.
Yes, that doesn't mean it wasn't pretentious since as this thread proved it's a very dumb concept with no substance.
It's still not up to you to decide what the original intentions of the author were (i mean it's not like " starts like shounen [...]  goes into complete  different direction" means anything at all anyway, but that's  besides the point)
Feb 24, 2023 2:13 PM

Jun 2021
Anime that tries too hard to hide or disguise key information in the build-up to a theme or final message. I don't really care what the final message is, since what the author believes and wants to show is entirely dependent on their unique experience as a human. Whether I agree or disagree with that message is not the issue. But if you go out of your way to make convoluted dialogue, hard-to-find symbolism, sudden tonal shifts, or similar tactics... it doesn't matter how good your final message is, it's worth dog shit to me. I shouldn't have to read the FanWiki, watch 3 video essays, and explore anime forum pages just to feel informed enough to have an opinion.

Likewise, you shouldn't need to perform character assassination or some other bad writing techniques that kill your story just because your message is so damn important. That is the definition of being pretentious. Believing that others want to hear your thoughts and opinions above all else, so you feel no guilt in forcing their attention off the things they enjoy just to indulge in your foolishness.

An anime that isn't pretentious is one that puts enough clear hints to get the point across, but the value of the show itself is not lowered if the viewer misses them or chooses to ignore them. Thematic play should only add to a person's experience, never detract from it.
I like apple pie. I also like gaming. Man's two greatest inventions.

Feb 24, 2023 3:53 PM

Apr 2022
There's no pretentious anime, only people who are in an argument and can't pull something intelligent.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Feb 24, 2023 6:19 PM

Mar 2022
Oznerol7 said:
Stardrake said:
Yes, that doesn't mean it wasn't pretentious since as this thread proved it's a very dumb concept with no substance.
It's still not up to you to decide what the original intentions of the author were (i mean it's not like " starts like shounen [...]  goes into complete  different direction" means anything at all anyway, but that's  besides the point)
Where in my original post I said or decided anything about author's original intentions in terms of actual specific parts of the story? The only claim I made is that Shingeki is pretentious. Ok? Different direction? Did the story made a shift? It did. So, what is the actual problem here?
Feb 24, 2023 9:53 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
Oznerol7 said:
Helltaker said:
Anime that try to portray themselves smarter then they actually are like Vinland Saga, Legend of Galactic Heroes, FLCL, Texhnolyze etc.
In alot of ways they suffer from "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome where people like to pretend they also see how "smart" they are to fit with the crowd which is kind of annoying to those who can see through pseudo-intellectuall mirage.
Basically what you're saying here is that your taste is objective, there is no actual possibility that the shows you mentioned (and i imagine many others as well) may be considered good by other people for genuine reasons but only for conforming (why there would be the need to when the show has no value? I mean, who were conforming to the people that liked it when it was airing or when it wasn't regarded as a "classic" yet?), sheep mentality, hipsterism, *insert random buzzwords routinely use to never discuss the merit of things here*
Basically a truly "everyone's stupid except me moment". Congrats, like most "anti-elitists" you are literally what you hate

I never claimed that my taste is objective, your entire response is a strawman mixed with a bunch of projections trying to cover up insecurities you have with regards to your taste.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Feb 24, 2023 11:55 PM

Nov 2020
Stardrake said:
Oznerol7 said:
Where in my original post I said or decided anything about author's original intentions in terms of actual specific parts of the story? The only claim I made is that Shingeki is pretentious. Ok? Different direction? Did the story made a shift? It did. So, what is the actual problem here?
You clearly don't understand what that construct of words means. You didn't literally decide something in AoT. Rather, you were acting like change is a bad thing, saying if AoT started as a fun shonen it should stay one, and we were telling you restricting the writer's freedom like that isn't good.

Stardrake said:
MarkVijet said:
(Responding to your final sentence) That was literally my point. Changing a direction has no connection with being pretentious, hence bringing that up when arguing that AoT is pretentious is pointless 
MarkVijetFeb 25, 2023 1:07 AM
Feb 24, 2023 11:57 PM

Nov 2020
Usapz said:
There's no pretentious anime, only people who are in an argument and can't pull something intelligent.
You clearly haven't seen Garden of Sinners movie 7
Feb 25, 2023 12:10 AM

May 2021
classroom of the elite and tomodachi game
both riddled with try hard cleverness that never hit like it thought it did
that’s for me though, I’ve heard people regard ayanokoji as on par with light and L so I guess it’s up to interpretation 
Feb 25, 2023 12:56 AM
Oct 2012
Whatever one finds pretentious, is pretentious. There is no objective metric here. 
Feb 25, 2023 1:09 AM

Nov 2020
JessicaKari said:
classroom of the elite and tomodachi game
both riddled with try hard cleverness that never hit like it thought it did
that’s for me though, I’ve heard people regard ayanokoji as on par with light and L so I guess it’s up to interpretation 
COTE was screwed over by anime adaptation, LN is so much better
Avarion said:
Whatever one finds pretentious, is pretentious. There is no objective metric here. 
Opinions are subjective? You don't say...
Feb 25, 2023 1:28 AM

May 2012
an impostor anime?

which just followed what's in the market

monotonous plot usually rushed with shallow story and character development

making the character looks outstanding in many ways to impress audience

i think an anime that "mimics" other successful anime is a good indicator
sora2eugeneFeb 25, 2023 1:32 AM
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
Feb 25, 2023 1:40 AM

Jun 2019
Friendly reminder that the pretentiousness of an artwork says absolutely nothing about its value; diaries and autobiographies are obvious examples. I would call all manga fans pretentious for thinking that this mediocre "art" form has ever surpassed the heights of painting or literature—that they know very little in general. One should not blame them too much for they think that one reads manga as one reads a book...

kusairo said:
Pretentious (adj) 
1. attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc. than is actually possessed. 
2. trying to appear or sound more important or intelligent, especially in matters of art and literature.
3. having or creating a deceptive outer appearance of great worth.

synonyms: showy, ostentatious, flowery, bombastic, grandiloquent

A great example of something being pretentious in real life would be color field paintings in museums. There are many different types of pretentiousness, but this is just one of many. 

Is there any anime that you consider to be pretentious? Why?
Yep, I would say The Tatami Galaxy. It's the combination of its art direction, specific historical and geographical references randomly being brought up, the main character quickly jumping from one random topic to another, his ultra-fast talking, and many other factors that made the anime seem pretentious to me. 

Monochrome (or colour field) paintings are not pretentious. What is pretentious is to think that pointing out the obvious somehow dismisses the value of the work of Malevich, Klein, or Soulages.

Another pretentious thing is to quote a dictionary definition and think that it constitutes a reply.
Feb 25, 2023 1:51 AM

Oct 2018
Classroom of the Elite, Wonder Egg Priority, and Kaguya-sama I think.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Feb 25, 2023 4:57 AM

Dec 2021
Helltaker said:
Oznerol7 said:

I never claimed that my taste is objective, your entire response is a strawman mixed with a bunch of projections trying to cover up insecurities you have with regards to your taste.
You never claimed it, you simply implied it. There's no projection here, since i do believe people can like things i find stupid or bad for actual genuine reasons and not just for crowd mentality or whatever. Please feel free to explain how saying "there's no way people like things i don't like, if they say they do is because pretentiosity/pseudo-intellectual mentality/etc" isn't the literal same as believing your taste is objective. The difference between you and people claiming "you're not intelligent enough to understand x anime" is that at least those people don't presuppose their interlocutor is lying for no reason. Basically so-called elitists believe other people are less intelligent. You believe other people are less intelligent AND disonest
Stardrake said:
Oznerol7 said:
The actual problem is there was no different direction at all, and all your argument is based on a false presupposition, that making social themes more present is somehow changing direction (or even "going in the opposite direction of shonen", whatever that means)
Feb 25, 2023 5:43 AM

Jun 2017
There are several anime that are pretentious indeed but nothing is more pretentious than calling an anime pretentious, which is kinda ironic.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Feb 25, 2023 6:13 AM
Mar 2022
ApplePieHunter said:
Anime that tries too hard to hide or disguise key information in the build-up to a theme or final message. I don't really care what the final message is, since what the author believes and wants to show is entirely dependent on their unique experience as a human. Whether I agree or disagree with that message is not the issue. But if you go out of your way to make convoluted dialogue, hard-to-find symbolism, sudden tonal shifts, or similar tactics... it doesn't matter how good your final message is, it's worth dog shit to me. I shouldn't have to read the FanWiki, watch 3 video essays, and explore anime forum pages just to feel informed enough to have an opinion.
Likewise, you shouldn't need to perform character assassination or some other bad writing techniques that kill your story just because your message is so damn important. That is the definition of being pretentious. Believing that others want to hear your thoughts and opinions above all else, so you feel no guilt in forcing their attention off the things they enjoy just to indulge in your foolishness.
An anime that isn't pretentious is one that puts enough clear hints to get the point across, but the value of the show itself is not lowered if the viewer misses them or chooses to ignore them. Thematic play should only add to a person's experience, never detract from it.

A dense work should be watched multiple times to piece together or notice hints, clues, foreshadowing, especially in dialogue. Watching analysis should only expand your appreciation of the work as someone who does analysis could make a case of more themes or more characterization based on analysing dialogue, plot, character interactions, finding parallels within the work. Refusing to understand anything that is outside of face value is intellectual dishonesty. Those works that require multiple viewings or analysies/essays will stand the test of time then some surface level fluff.
You also rated Shigatsu wa Kimi no Us 10 when it's actually a truly pretentious anime because it's fake tragedy about fake emotions.
Watching it felt like biting into a deliciously looking burger, just to find out it's made of plastic and for decoration only. To call the show melodrama is an insult to all soap operas ever made.

Kaori isn't a real person, she is a plot device incarnate. Kousei's trauma feels forced and unrealistic in many ways, take it from somebody to whom depression is no stranger. With two mains who do not feel like real persons but plot devices, everything felt like malevolent attempt to jerk tears and manipulate emotions, even the music, which could have saved the show a little bit, is fake, In Nodama Cantabile or Sakamichi no Apollon the music feels real, you learn why performance A is good and B is not. In YLiA you are just told it is genius, no detail on the how and why is given. Another piece of plastic you must swallow. And vivid color animations don't make it any better just prettier.
Feb 25, 2023 6:17 AM

Dec 2021
I think Hyouka is insanely pretentious but that’s just my opinion. It tries to make itself sophisticated and intelligent (exacerbated by its incessant use of Bach Cello Suites), but those aspects instead feel stale and boring.
SaiteiDaOretteFeb 25, 2023 6:26 AM
Feb 25, 2023 7:07 AM

Jul 2021
MarkVijet said:
Stardrake said:

Developing and last minute changing genre with a very shallow and poorly executed message are different things.
Feb 25, 2023 7:18 AM

Sep 2020
Hard to explain, I don't think it's always bad though.
Feb 25, 2023 9:40 AM

Nov 2020
JaniSIr said:
MarkVijet said:

Developing and last minute changing genre with a very shallow and poorly executed message are different things.
That's mostly the ending's fault and it wasn't really last minute 
pre time skip - 90 chapters
post time skip - 49 chapters 

Feb 25, 2023 10:04 AM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
MarkVijet said:

Could you tell me what this supposedly "genre changing" is in AoT? I remember it starting as an action manga with socio-political elements targeted at teenagers and finishing as an action manga with socio-political elements targeted at teenagers. What did i miss?
("poorly executed" is your opinion, legit but also totally off topic)
Feb 25, 2023 10:50 AM

Jul 2021
MarkVijet said:
JaniSIr said:

Okay, fine, but it being 2/3 into the series actually just makes the pain last longer.

Oznerol7 said:
JaniSIr said:

Could you tell me what this supposedly "genre changing" is in AoT? I remember it starting as an action manga with socio-political elements targeted at teenagers and finishing as an action manga with socio-political elements targeted at teenagers. What did i miss?

First and foremost it was a post-apocalyptic survival horror mystery series.
By season 4 we basically got all the big reveals, so mystery is gone, with the time skip, titans stopped being a threat, so did the urgency of fighting for survival.
And targeting socio-political commentary for teens is just not a good idea.
Feb 25, 2023 11:02 AM

Dec 2017
No such thing, only pretentious fans lmao. 
Feb 25, 2023 11:37 AM

Dec 2021
JaniSIr said:
MarkVijet said:

Okay, fine, but it being 2/3 into the series actually just makes the pain last longer.

Oznerol7 said:

By season 4 we basically got all the big reveals, so mystery is gone, with the time skip, titans stopped being a threat, so did the urgency of fighting for survival.
If a show is about a mystery isn't it sort of implied said mystery should be solved sooner or later? And they also introduced other questions, so it's really not true mystery's gone, that would be like saying Lost changed genre after they discovered what the hatch was, in the same way the "urgency of fighting for survival" didn't really go away, just changed its form (it's not anymore "survival of humanity against giants" but "survival of our people against other people". I don't see how the change in setting is supposed to drastically change the content. Og Gundam (and most Gundam) is a war drama in a space/futuristic setting, Gundam X is a war drama in a post-apocalyptic setting: they're literally the same franchise with roughly the same/similar story. (also "titans stopped being a threat", i'm gonna assume you dropped it during season 4 then? Because that's obviously not true).
I don't understand why "socio-political commentary for teens is just not a good idea", i'd say they're the best audience to target said messages, since adults should already know them (supposedly)
Feb 25, 2023 12:55 PM

Jul 2021
Oznerol7 said:
JaniSIr said:

If a show is about a mystery isn't it sort of implied said mystery should be solved sooner or later? And they also introduced other questions, so it's really not true mystery's gone, that would be like saying Lost changed genre after they discovered what the hatch was, in the same way the "urgency of fighting for survival" didn't really go away, just changed its form (it's not anymore "survival of humanity against giants" but "survival of our people against other people". I don't see how the change in setting is supposed to drastically change the content. Og Gundam (and most Gundam) is a war drama in a space/futuristic setting, Gundam X is a war drama in a post-apocalyptic setting: they're literally the same franchise with roughly the same/similar story. (also "titans stopped being a threat", i'm gonna assume you dropped it during season 4 then? Because that's obviously not true).
I don't understand why "socio-political commentary for teens is just not a good idea", i'd say they're the best audience to target said messages, since adults should already know them (supposedly)

Sooner or later yes, but emphasis is on later, assuming the plot actually progresses steadily with a reasonable pace, instead of just being stalled by random nonsense, like how Monster handled it.
Curiosity was a big driving factor for previous AoT seasons, and season 3 kind of satiated that, season 4 only having a couple disappointing reveals/asspulls, among lots of infighting, and trying to get us to like new characters, that are not likeable.

I didn't watch Lost, but by season 4 the titan threat was basically Walking Deaded. Paradis was clear of titans, only the titan shifters (=humans) were a threat. (And the rumbling I guess, but that to the opposing side, so it's fine.)

I say that, because this topic would have needed a sort of emotional subtlety, that is severely lacking in shounen series like AoT.
Feb 25, 2023 1:06 PM
Feb 2023
would Valvrave be considered pretentious?
Feb 25, 2023 1:22 PM

Mar 2022
MarkVijet said:
Stardrake said:
You clearly don't understand what that construct of words means. You didn't literally decide something in AoT. Rather, you were acting like change is a bad thing, saying if AoT started as a fun shonen it should stay one, and we were telling you restricting the writer's freedom like that isn't good.

Stardrake said:
(Responding to your final sentence) That was literally my point. Changing a direction has no connection with being pretentious, hence bringing that up when arguing that AoT is pretentious is pointless 
Just to make it clear, I am not acting that change in Shingeki was bad, I'm saying it was. Again, change specifically in Shingeki, not in general.

The act itself isn't pretentious. However, it can lead to things that can be pretentious. So, connection between changing and being pretentious can exist.
Not all changes are bad.
Not all changes lead to something being pretentious.
Not all bad changes lead to being pretentious.

Change in Shingeki led to pretentious stuff, therefor I called the change bad, and Shingeki pretentious anime/manga.
I honestly don't know how to explain it better. 
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

31 by Piromysl »»
5 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

25 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - 10 hours ago

20 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

11 by deg »»
9 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

38 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.