Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 1, 2019 3:01 AM

Nov 2018
The OP is pretty.
I got annoyed when Shinjou said these are the worst pairs lol. They are objectively better than the old ones. Well he got to see it anyway.
Was nice to see Shingo and Tsubasa win.
Oh another new pair win, nice how Maki's set-ups are working.
And the final pair did well too.
And this actually made me think if I were to be paired up with the person I like, I imagine us to do very well.
I don't really like the student council president's way of thinking, it makes sense on the outward but she doesn't realize how ableist it is.
I am still hmm about Kanako, she's so lazy and badmouthed.
Maki's father is disgusting, hope he gets arrested for lifetime. Pest.
Nov 1, 2019 5:11 AM
May 2014
cythraul said:
CaioOlive said:

What do you mean, Itsuki is his pair.

Yeah he is, I didn't really pay attention to that part but rather the part where he was shown sad struck me. I wonder why is sad tho..

just my guess. May be he couldn't help thinking himself as useless being the club vice president when he saw Maki doing a great job pulling the team together.
Nov 1, 2019 5:50 AM

Aug 2017
Great change of partners, it turned out well and effective. Can't wait to see them in real competition.
I really hate Maki's dad, I hope next episode he will be find out.

Nov 1, 2019 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
I know they really love all these dramas in your typical sports anime but I think it'd be nice if it was just pure fun and games too.
Nov 1, 2019 5:57 AM

Aug 2013
i quite like how dramatic everything is. it may seem "unrealistic" to some but unless any of us live in japan, i don't think we should be so quick to judge. also, have yall checked the genre of this? its literally drama too. so... :3
Nov 1, 2019 8:40 AM

Sep 2018
Damn. I gotta say, the dark contrast with the abusive father really lifts the show to a whole new level of storytelling, the whole story feels so raw and real
Nov 1, 2019 9:05 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was pretty chill... but I just knew that this feeling would not last. It was good to see that Maki's pairs really worked out. The team seems to be improving already. Watching them eating diner at Maki's while he also made some spicy food for his mom was beautiful. He is still doing all these chores while his hands are covered in blisters. Well, his 'dad' is back again for money. It was sad to see that he could not control himself and I just hope Maki and his mom will get help this time...
Nov 1, 2019 9:37 AM

Aug 2013
Nice to see the new pairs working out smoothly! And nice to see the team making progress as well

the ending though.... it made me super angry lol. his father is awful and i feel so bad for maki
Nov 1, 2019 10:40 AM

Jan 2016
First minutes during watching this episode, ngl I could feel the MC's dad will appear on this episode at some point. But damn he actually appear after credits and makes another problem, shit.

Of course i'm not glad because my thought were true lol.
Life is strange

Nov 1, 2019 10:43 AM

Jan 2016
I'm also curious why the MC didn't tell his mom about his former dad took the money on the first episode.
Life is strange

Nov 1, 2019 1:15 PM

Sep 2019
MNafisN said:
I'm also curious why the MC didn't tell his mom about his former dad took the money on the first episode.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess he didn't want to make his mom worried but it's still a very dumb decision to make. I mean, if the guy already found their new address then he probably knows where the mom works, which means she can also be in trouble.
Nov 1, 2019 2:32 PM
May 2019
Am I the only one who wishes Maki had snatched the tennis racket from his dad and hit him with it? That guy's a real bastard. No wonder the mother wants a restraining order against him.

I'm happy that Maki's dad didn't physically injure him in any way that would hinder him from playing in the team's first practice match after gaining such morale!

Anyway, I'm impressed by the guys' improvement in practice! Hopefully they'll keep their confidence up even if they all lose at the practice match.
Nov 1, 2019 2:47 PM

Sep 2019
t_tomodachi22 said:
Am I the only one who wishes Maki had snatched the tennis racket from his dad and hit him with it?

I know, right? Unfortunately it seems like Maki gets frozen every time his dad appears. We know Maki is fast and has good reflexes, but on this situations he is just mentally unable to react in a proper way.
Nov 1, 2019 7:33 PM

Jan 2011
I was expecting that to be the time someone else saw the abuse. Well, they still might have.
Nov 2, 2019 1:08 AM
May 2019
ReaperCreeper said:
I was expecting that to be the time someone else saw the abuse. Well, they still might have.

I was also expecting some onlooker to have seen something. Like the girl friend (drawing a blank on her name right now), since she lives in the same apt building. Though, like you said, maybe someone might still have seen! Hopefully.
Nov 2, 2019 4:11 AM

May 2016
Jin_uzuki said:
Mitsue is starting to get on my nerves. She's just kinda there being snarky and having absolutely no connection with the club. I'd rather they spent more screentime on actual members.

Yeah I am glad someone mentioned this because I’ve only seen people praising her but atm I can’t stand her.. dealing with negative people like that irl is never fun. :-/
Nov 2, 2019 8:48 AM

Jul 2012
To be fair I think this anime didn't need this much drama, but I guess it adds some flavour. I would enjoy it as much as I do without it though.
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2019 6:08 PM

Jun 2013
I had to resync the subs using my player. It was off by three or so seconds.

Anyways, I enjoyed the episode as usual. Maki did a great job pairing up those who worked well together instead of having a leader-subordinate pairing which led to nothing. He knows best.

That ending though, I honestly thought that Maki's dad was going to hit him with the racket but fortunately, he only smashed the racket. Yes, that's also bad but Maki getting beaten up is much worse. I'm sure Toma will give him a new one.

I wonder about their adviser, I wonder what kind of past he had with the club or if something bad happened.
臭い-
Nov 3, 2019 2:58 AM

Oct 2008
OH GOD! That last part was so infuriating!
I wanna murder that scum of dad!
I hope that won't affect others especially Toma...
On the later part, the softeni club might not be disbanded because the pairs are working and improving.
and next they will challenge a strong school!
they will loose for sure but they can get ideas and strategies from them as well.
5/5.

Nov 3, 2019 6:38 AM

May 2018
I felt the scene at the end so much... oof. Poor Maki :(

β–Ί"The deeper the darkness the more dazzling the light shines." β—„
β–Ί"As you live you lose reasons and hope. But as you keep on going, you pick up new reasons and hope."β—„
β–Ί"If I don’t stand up here… If I don’t reach higher here… When am I ever going to do it?"β—„
Nov 3, 2019 2:17 PM
Nov 2017
His father is so mean!!!
I've been thinking "his father can show up at any time" ever since his first scene.. Maan
Nov 3, 2019 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode! I really like the OP, super nice and relaxing.

The emo girl is a really unlikable and annoying character, and she doesn't actually add anything to the story, but I'm sure we'll learn that she is more than just some mean, selfish, b****. I'm also glad the people on these forums are noticing how bad she is too, I had figured that just because she is a girl that most people here would've fallen head over heals over her despite her terrible personality and zero contribution... The fat advisor girl is lame too, but hopefully she won't try to do anything that will sabotage the boy's team so they lose all their funding.

I feel really bad for Maki because he clearly has ptsd whenever his dad comes around, but he seriously needs to tell his mother or the police about what his dad is doing, it is very stupid and unsafe not to at this point. If he doesn't after this episode, then I can't really feel any more sympathy for him about future incidents.
Nov 3, 2019 8:12 PM

Oct 2017
Best episode so far, they actually showed some good tennis. Thou there was still drama at the end but whatever. Mitsue and that prez are real bitches, really getting on my nerves.
Nov 3, 2019 10:46 PM
May 2018
The dad is the worst
Nov 4, 2019 12:40 AM

Jul 2013
Great episode as usual. It's also a nice change of pace since they went all "sports-y" with the first half. We finally get to see them in action and perform better than before. This anime has a healthy balance of sports, drama and character interactions. I'm really loving this show so far.

My heart hurts every time I see Maki like that. When his father clenched his fists, his immediate reaction was to defend himself. It was such a heartbreaking scene. I have a feeling the father is some kind of achiever in his student days that couldn't get by in life since he goes on with this "what you learn from school won't help you in the real world" stuff.

Not sure how I feel about Mitsue. She doesn't seem to add anything to the story. I hope her story won't devolve into some romantic sub-plot for Maki because I don't like her lol. The adviser is also interesting. There's definitely more to him with the way he talks.
Nov 4, 2019 2:51 AM

Jul 2017
Finally watching the OP, and I'd have to say THERE'S A LOT OF FORESHADOWING amidst the peaceful visuals and Megumi Nakajima's song which is good too.

With Maki reshuffling the entire boys' soft tennis club, it was a reshuffle that NO ONE absolutely anticipated. BUT surprisingly, most of them got theír new stances up and running. It was definitely a case of clashing personalities for both Toma and Maki to test the others on the playing field. Simply put, the 1st half was splendid.

But I'm not really sure what is Mitsue's role...as of yet, other than being a +1 in the small clique. Her character still has aways to go.

The club's teacher advisor, Mr. Sakurai, still the scaredy-cat of a teacher, fixed up a friendly practice match for the club as a means to prepare for the competition ahead. Grasshoppers yeap? Boys in their youth...what a time to be alive.

The bastard of a dad is back post-credits, and what happened to one of the club's teammates back then, THANK GOD Maki didn't get that treatment, but or rather in exchange, got his racket broken, just like the head of the bully last episode, BAD. To go into context, Maki is still too afraid AND traumatized about the events in his childhood, so fighting against his dad isn't an option as it will bring more recluse.

As we know more things...this sham reality will soon befall others...
KANLen09Nov 4, 2019 3:00 AM
Nov 4, 2019 3:21 AM

Apr 2016
It ends again in that way, damn. It's sad to see, but it's more sad to think that something like that happens in real life everyday. Good episode, I prefer the "spokon" part than the drama but it's ok.
Nov 4, 2019 3:28 PM
Nov 2019
(I'm not even gonna try getting on my old account so I'm making a new one because I'm honestly super confused by the way you think.)

Why all of you are saying Mitsue is a b(ch? Because she's an outcast or something? Why are the "gloom" characters always labeled as "bad" and "annoying", right now you aren't better that those bullies from the show you hate so much, you know...

I like her quiet a lot since I can relate on a big level. Watching people fight from afar is quiet entertaining... Especially when you aren't a part of that fight("Don't join drama, watch it from afar and enjoy."). Not having an interest in anything unless it has something to do with you or you find it fun to watch is also something I find in myself...

Not to mention it's easy to understand why she sticks around so much doing basically nothing- because it's interesting. I can see many ways of her character being worked on, for example finally finding a place she feels like she fits in without being judged.
NekoszowaNov 4, 2019 3:31 PM
Nov 4, 2019 11:01 PM

May 2018
Katsuragi got raided again and even get his racket destroyed, looking forward to the next episode because of that. Also, loved the grasshopers name.

Nov 5, 2019 6:47 PM
Aug 2018
HectorBlaze said:
It ends again in that way, damn. It's sad to see, but it's more sad to think that something like that happens in real life everyday. Good episode, I prefer the "spokon" part than the drama but it's ok.

For me the drama part are well executing so far, I hoped it is going to be resolve naturally and not to force! Generally the episode feel like a lot of setup and nothing big happen but the first 3 episode are good enough to still keep watching!
Nov 5, 2019 9:47 PM

Aug 2013
I liked this episode after the third one left me with a bit of shock of the brutal backstory of one of the members... A mother pouring boiling water over their kids? Never heard of that shit before, but it's somewhat believable.

In this episode we see the cast slowly get along with another and discover their strengths and weaknesses, even though they aren't as quick to admit it. It was nice to see the club at least scoring a bit better and not getting smashed every time. We see what the efforts result in at the match vs. Misaki Academy I guess. I personally know from sports clubs that you have to resort to deliberately making your struggling members win to fuel their confidence, so it felt very relatable what Maki was doing.

The one snarky girl is a real annoyance. She does nothing properly and she doesn't even have memorable dialogue. Just a pessimistic sidekick to the group which noone needs. I am used to other kinds of Sports shows that the girl acts as a cheerleader for the group or as a catalyser for them to improve, but she has like no function at all.

The ending scene disturbed me and it left me with a clear cliffhanger like ep 3 did. Makis dad is a real asshole but it is noticable that he has been mistreated by society and is not inherently an evil person from the beginning. Seeing Maki suffer is still heartrending.
If i predict the plot then the father will now be a hindrance to Makis involvement with the club and he will be forced to quit temporarily until he finds the courage to act against his fathers influence. I also expect the father to have a change of heart because he sees how important the tennis game is for Maki now and recognize his own faded interest in that sport.

But that's just my 2 cents :)
Nov 6, 2019 4:33 PM

Oct 2013
Why does everyone hate the snarky pessimist girl? I think she provides a good counterbalance for the now optimistic soft tennis club. And there's a probably a good reason for why she acts like this.

People shouldn't judge at face value, not even Maki's dad.
Nov 18, 2019 8:52 AM

Aug 2018
Good episode.......
Nov 22, 2019 3:50 PM
Jul 2013
I liked the OP, there's some nice music in the show.
I hope that sensei's "incident" will be clarified next ep.
Unlike some people here, I see Maki's dad as essential to the story, and I see why Maki wouldn't tell anyone (not just to keep the drama going). The drama is what makes this show stand out, and even though there's not a lot of it, it's where this series can excel.
Not enough Toma this week. Just enough Mitsue.
And where's Onizuka when you need him? Can Sakurai become one? Probably not (yet).
Nov 27, 2019 10:14 AM

Feb 2010
DizzyBunnies said:
i quite like how dramatic everything is. it may seem "unrealistic" to some but unless any of us live in japan, i don't think we should be so quick to judge. also, have yall checked the genre of this? its literally drama too. so... :3

This. I honestly find it weird how anyone would say it is 'unrealistic' when none of us understand the issues Japanese students may face growing up in schools. Any amount of research would reveal that bullying is a universal issue in schools....also, it is a fact that children come from so many different backgrounds and family situations.

I really love the drama aspect of this show...it makes it all the more realistic to me. Rather than simply showing a group of boys in a club, it shows all of them growing together, developing a beautiful friendship. The fact that they all have a story behind the way they are, the character development makes it all the more interesting as well. I really am looking forward to future episodes! This show has honestly grabbed my attention and it is just...so cute T___T <3

Dec 15, 2019 5:28 PM
Jun 2012
This is beyond stupid. Is there even a point to this drama other than emotional bait to hook people?
Jan 1, 2020 11:10 AM

Dec 2010
Nekoszowa said:
(I'm not even gonna try getting on my old account so I'm making a new one because I'm honestly super confused by the way you think.)

Why all of you are saying Mitsue is a b(ch? Because she's an outcast or something? Why are the "gloom" characters always labeled as "bad" and "annoying", right now you aren't better that those bullies from the show you hate so much, you know...

I like her quiet a lot since I can relate on a big level. Watching people fight from afar is quiet entertaining... Especially when you aren't a part of that fight("Don't join drama, watch it from afar and enjoy."). Not having an interest in anything unless it has something to do with you or you find it fun to watch is also something I find in myself...

Not to mention it's easy to understand why she sticks around so much doing basically nothing- because it's interesting. I can see many ways of her character being worked on, for example finally finding a place she feels like she fits in without being judged.

There is no problem in liking her But I cant stand her at all reason,her bitchy attitude is so off putting yes she might find them interesting but she doesn't have to act the way she does.I understand she is a sort of bully victim but that does not excuse the way she acts to guy who have not done anything bad to her,she always looks down on others but dont like it when others look down on her,she tags along for what?to ridicule people when they are obviously trying there best she sits there making rude remarks I just wish she would just leave them alone and go draw manga or something just like you have something important to you others have it too,just like they don't know anything about her,she knows nothing about them,gosh she is so irritating and I hope they improve her character later on because right now she is insufferable.
Jan 14, 2020 12:36 PM

Aug 2017
I try to like this series but this episode was so rushed and it needs drama to generate shock factor. This anime could be ok without some unnecessary dark tones that come out of nowhere. Its funny cuz I knew that his dad was going to show up as soon as Maki was alone.

Also, why the rest went from play bad to ok in just one episode? Even if they change partners and Maki is letting them win, that makes no sense.

2/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 21, 2020 12:27 PM

Jun 2014
Everything was going great, until Maki's father showed up again. This time, he broke Maki's tennis racket.

Will Maki be able to get another one?

Mar 30, 2020 4:18 AM

Jul 2015
The little grasshoppers are having a match, can't wait to see it

"By tomorrow, got it?" Ah yes sounds reasonable, a bullet through your head right? I think Maki is too afraid of his dad to do something against him like calling the cops or asking for help

Apr 26, 2020 4:28 AM

Oct 2016
I hope Maki's father gets killed by an accident or gang war or whatever. The bastard doesn't deserve to live.
Humans only live for a hundred years, it is as unreal as a dream that ends in an instant. What is the point of a person living in this world? No more than just being on a journey, and witnessing interesting things. Although I do not want to die, I do not fear death. I am already on my right path, I have no regrets even if I die.

— Fang Yuan (Reverend Insanity)
Oct 12, 2020 8:36 PM

Dec 2010
Damn, just when Maki was starting to feel more comfortable with the other boys that abusive dad shows up...
About Mitsue, I like her and she has some funny dialogue, but I hope they give her some purpose in the story later. Right now she just seems to follow them everywhere without adding much.
Aug 4, 2021 1:35 PM

Jan 2021
Ugh!!-.-
Maki’s dad really ruined this episode for me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM

» Some scenes missing in Crunchyroll?

KYSmequick - Oct 15, 2023

3 by heelyfrog »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.