New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 30, 2018 4:20 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Zuska said:
EcchiKingMamster said:
@Zuska

im pretty much gonna say to read the above 2 posts by @_Ako_ and @Manaban as they pretty much summed it up perfectly

there is NOTHING in this thread that has not been said 100x by now..

the irony is strong again, anyway this is irrelevant to the discussion and your posts are adding nothing

i don't care about irony, you have NO IDEA how tired people are of this topic
Jan 30, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2018
EcchiKingMamster said:
Zuska said:

the irony is strong again, anyway this is irrelevant to the discussion and your posts are adding nothing

Right then, dully noted. Anything else?
Jan 30, 2018 4:39 PM

Feb 2010
Yeah they can, it's just that most ecchi series choose not to really put much effort into the plot because they know the moment they decided to be ecchi their target audience was determined as well as on which level to appeal to them, and it's usually not via the writing.
It'd just be a waste of time. The majority of people who start the show do so because they want to see some ecchi, period. So that's what they get. Supply and demand. Nothing wrong with that.

At the same time I'd wager that most people who want to experience an awesome plot and great writing would not give ecchi shows a shot in the first place so why try to appeal to them, they're most likely a vast minority of the people who actually watch ecchi.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 30, 2018 4:41 PM

Sep 2009
When you're centering the camera on someone's ass, obviously no plot is being conveyed. Ecchi series spend a LOT of camera time on said asses.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 30, 2018 4:54 PM

Feb 2015
EcchiKingMamster said:

@_Ako_

and yea, definitely, seeing as how OP only just joined this month, it really shows that this shit isn't going to end ever

Give it a month or two and OP will be very good at delivering bait threads. Unless OP decided to ragequit.

MortalMelancholy said:
When you're centering the camera on someone's ass, obviously no plot is being conveyed. Ecchi series spend a LOT of camera time on said asses.

Oi! You seem to forgot glorious and fappable oppai shots...

SMH Ass man confirmed.
Jan 30, 2018 6:15 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Zuska said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

my first response wasn't even directly towards you specifically, so idk why you're asking that as if you didn't prompt this

if you don't like the fact that im mentioning how over done this topic is well theres plenty of others that do

MortalMelancholy said:

ok? and thats fucking hot.. idk what world exists where "thats fucking hot" is a bad thing
Jan 30, 2018 6:37 PM

Jan 2018
EcchiKingMamster said:

my first response wasn't even directly towards you specifically, so idk why you're asking that as if you didn't prompt this

if you don't like the fact that im mentioning how over done this topic is well theres plenty of others that do

Yeah, cool, feel free to keep going.
Jan 30, 2018 6:57 PM

Aug 2017
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Jan 30, 2018 7:07 PM

Sep 2009
EcchiKingMamster said:
Zuska said:

MortalMelancholy said:

ok? and thats fucking hot.. idk what world exists where "thats fucking hot" is a bad thing

You're implying that you find reason in it being a bad thing. I only noted that ecchi and plot cannot coexist.
Jan 30, 2018 7:18 PM

Jan 2018
Vurahn said:

If you looked at the dates you would know this topic was posted first.
+ I'm sure they posted their topic specifically after seeing my topic
Jan 30, 2018 7:20 PM

Jan 2018
MortalMelancholy said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

You're implying that you find reason in it being a bad thing. I only noted that ecchi and plot cannot coexist.

You're wrong, if no ecchi had plots then why wouldn't they just make them hentai?
Jan 30, 2018 7:25 PM

Aug 2017
Zuska said:
Vurahn said:

I figured it was obvious that I don't care about any of that.

I don't care who made theirs first. It's funny, nor the first time this has happened.
Jan 30, 2018 7:29 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

ecchi and plot cannot exist? seriously?

what about Seikon no Qwaser?

Manyuu Hikenchou?

Shinmai maou no testament?

Keijo?

oh wait

you haven't seen those...

and so what if it couldn't? its fucking hot and fucking hot matters
Jan 30, 2018 7:46 PM

Sep 2009
Zuska said:
MortalMelancholy said:

You're wrong, if no ecchi had plots then why wouldn't they just make them hentai?

Lmao no. Not even ecchi watchers like hentai; apparently there's a difference, so you can ask them about it.

EcchiKingMamster said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Manyuu Hikenchou?

Keijo?

oh wait

Lmao I've seen some of them, and they have as much plot as a human has a nictitating membrane.
Jan 30, 2018 7:50 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
Zuska said:

Lmao no. Not even ecchi watchers like hentai; apparently there's a difference, so you can ask them about it.

EcchiKingMamster said:

Manyuu Hikenchou?

Keijo?

oh wait

Lmao I've seen some of them, and they have as much plot as a human has a nictitating membrane.

not liking the plot does not mean a show doesn't have one

that was so random lol....
Jan 30, 2018 7:51 PM

Sep 2009
EcchiKingMamster said:
MortalMelancholy said:

Sometimes I'm weird in finding my analogies. And what I meant was that they only have a semblance of a plot; humans only have vestegial traces of a nictitating membrane.
Jan 30, 2018 8:07 PM

Jan 2018
Vurahn said:
Zuska said:

I don't care who made theirs first. It's funny, nor the first time this has happened.

If you don't care then why would you post about it lol
Jan 30, 2018 8:11 PM

Nov 2011
Doesn't really bother me either way- plenty of great anime has ecchi or at least mild fan service. although a lot of it is trash. I just wish there was more male centered ecchi that isn't cringy/poorly drawn/used solely for comedic purposes.

Jan 30, 2018 8:12 PM

Sep 2015
Because most of the time ecchi scenes exist because the lack of good plot. It makes up the lack of brain cells being blown and instead your crotch will be blown
Jan 30, 2018 8:12 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
MortalMelancholy said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

Sometimes I'm weird in finding my analogies. And what I meant was that they only have a semblance of a plot; humans only have vestegial traces of a nictitating membrane.

yea? well, you know... thats just like uh.. your opinion, man...
Jan 30, 2018 8:21 PM

Jun 2013
You know, sometimes you just want a titty anime. Plot or not plot. No shame in that.
Jan 30, 2018 9:20 PM

Aug 2017
Zuska said:
Vurahn said:

If you can't be bothered to read my entire three whole sentences right there, why would you reply to it lol

"It's funny, nor the first time this has happened."

I can shorten my answer to "It's funny."
Jan 31, 2018 2:25 AM

Jan 2018
Vurahn said:
Zuska said:

If you can't be bothered to read my entire three whole sentences right there, why would you reply to it lol

"It's funny, nor the first time this has happened."

I can shorten my answer to "It's funny."

Yes, it's downright hilarious. Funniest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.
Jan 31, 2018 2:32 AM

Mar 2013
Ecchi is fine, naysayers be damned. However, if you mean sexual fanservice in non-ecchi series then that's a whole other story. Still, I usually don't mind fanservice as long as it doesn't get in the way of the plot or ruins the mood of a scene.

Jan 31, 2018 6:48 AM
Aug 2016
OP, with a forum avatar like that, I won't be able to take this topic even as a joke :^/
Jan 31, 2018 6:55 AM
Dec 2017
In my opinion, a little more ecchi is better
everyone watch any movies, tv show and anime with multiple subtitles at http://moviesonline.ac/anime-series.html
Jan 31, 2018 2:24 PM

Jan 2018
Aslt said:
OP, with a forum avatar like that, I won't be able to take this topic even as a joke :^/

It could be worse, I could have your avatar. Thankfully I don't.

Alfond said:
Ecchi is fine, naysayers be damned. However, if you mean sexual fanservice in non-ecchi series then that's a whole other story. Still, I usually don't mind fanservice as long as it doesn't get in the way of the plot or ruins the mood of a scene.

Do you mean fanservice in non-ecchi series is bad?
Also what's the difference between sexual fanservice and ecchi in general in regards to how it affects the plot?
Jan 31, 2018 2:45 PM
Aug 2016
Zuska said:
Aslt said:

It could be worse, I could have your avatar. Thankfully I don't.

I know right? The only thing you would do with my avatar would be bringing shame upon it.
Jan 31, 2018 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
Zuska said:
Do you mean fanservice in non-ecchi series is bad?
Also what's the difference between sexual fanservice and ecchi in general in regards to how it affects the plot?

I don't think fanservice in non-ecchi series is always bad but it depends on how it's used. Fanservice is supposed to be added content that's used to please the viewers but when you have boob grabs or panty shots in tense/serious scenes it becomes too distracting and ruins the mood.

Ecchi is a genre when it comes to anime and fanservice in ecchi series is something that should be expected so I don't see any reason to complain about it. If people don't like ecchi anime then they should simply ignore those series and not waste their time complaining about them.
AlfondJan 31, 2018 3:41 PM

Dec 31, 2018 7:24 AM
Mar 2017
If I want to see a sexually aggressive anime i’ll just want hentai nothing more nothing less I really don’t get the ecchi genre when you can fap to hentai I just don’t get it,I mean your basically getting blue-balled at least hentai gives you the full set and actually goes all out unlike ecchi anime which only titlates and teases you,I know some people are into being teased but i’m not,if the characters look like there about to fuck I want them to fuck!!!!!
Dec 31, 2018 7:39 AM

Feb 2018
I like some anime that contain ecchi scenes, but most are pretty trashy, because they use it as their whole selling point to attract horny teenagers.
Ecchi itself is neither good nor bad, but the way it's often being used in is terrible.
Dec 31, 2018 7:53 AM
Dec 2018
Opinions........
Opinions everywhere......

well everyone have their own fetish tho(ーー)
or maybe a ...-tard such like:
*Fighting-tard
*Moe-tard
*Edgy-tard
*Ecchi/hentai-tard
*Romance-tard
*etc

i am unable to care about this shit anymore (¯―¯٥)
Dec 31, 2018 8:26 AM

Jun 2017
Actually, my problem with most ecchi shows is that there is an actual plot. See, it's really obvious that in most of them the plot is a setting/excuse for the girls to get in sexual situations with MC-kun while making him a powerful hero. They're otaku fantasies, and this is kind of okay by me, but the problem is that a lot of the time those two tend to conflict with each other instead of supporting each other, and the result is that you have a generic action show that have lots of panty-shots and boob-jiggling during their frequent and long exposition dumps because they just know no one gives a shit about some generic-ass alien invasion and that everyone came just for the hot chicks anyways.
Also, for some reason I've never seen anyone mention the fact that most of them look like shit. I mean, if the main appeal of the show are cute girls in sexual situations shouldn't they make them look, y'know, actually arousing? Like, how the fuck does someone get hard watching random seasonal harem shows?
Dec 31, 2018 8:39 AM
Dec 2018
Horny people get horny.

but w/o horny people, the world is lack of one colours.
Dec 31, 2018 8:40 AM
Oct 2018
"A plot *CAN* still be good even if you have a ton of fanservice."

Sure. And a homeless crackhead collecting cans and eating out the garbage *CAN* be a wise choice to do life-or-death heart surgery. But in the real world, we all know he almost definitely *ISN'T*.

When people make assumptions, like say, "homeless crackhead = not ideal choice for a surgeon" or "lots of ecchi = disposable, forgettable crap with not much substance", they might not be correct 100% of the time, but as a general rule, they'll be right far more often than they're wrong.
Dec 31, 2018 7:51 PM
Jan 2009
Kid shows (Pokemon, Digimon, etc.) can be controversial when they sexualize girls that are below 13.
Jan 2, 2019 4:19 PM
Apr 2018
Zuska said:
Why do some people think ecchi can't be good or that it's trashy? Or that giving fanservice "takes away from the plot?"

A plot can still be good even if you have a ton of fanservice. They can coexist

What do you think?

Many reasons:

When I think of Ecchi anime, I always think of harem, which almost always focuses on a basic, lower than average, boring male MC that has no common sense or reasons as to why he is surrounded by multiple females vying for his affection. I also think fan service is unnecessary. Then again, the escapades involved in a harem ARE the plot, which is why I avoid these type of shows.

I guess a question I would like to ask you are what are some shows involving ecchi/fan-service that you believe are done well? Or what shows have both ecchi/fan-service AND a good plot? I’m curious since I don’t think the two are compatible.

I also think a lot of it has to do with the aesthetics or visual art typically associated with ecchi anime (often akin to the art of hentai as well). Visual content can truly make or break my enjoyment of a show. Big boobed females, constantly flushed red shiny cheeks, short skirts/minimal clothing, obnoxious girl hairstyles like long pig tails.
Jan 2, 2019 5:16 PM

Apr 2017
I think it really depends on how it's done. Some shows do it really well, and ecchi is a great addition to the plot rather than taking away from it. But in many, maybe even most cases, ecchi is added to cover weak plot, so I always have rather low expectations when going into show that clearly has a lot of ecchi. This mostly only applies to shows with a lot of ecchi. Sometimes they surprise me and turn out great, like Monogatari. In many cases they are disappointing, however.

That's not the same as occasional fan service, in that case it's usually used right and enhances the show rather than damages it rather often.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 2, 2019 6:07 PM

Feb 2010
Aquarius99 said:
Zuska said:
Why do some people think ecchi can't be good or that it's trashy? Or that giving fanservice "takes away from the plot?"

A plot can still be good even if you have a ton of fanservice. They can coexist

What do you think?

Many reasons:

When I think of Ecchi anime, I always think of harem

I used to be like that because let's face it there is a certain correlation but once I found some non-harem ecchi titles I realized I never really disliked ecchi, just harems and how they use ecchi. But I also dislike harems without the ecchi, while it is not often the case the other way round.

I guess a question I would like to ask you are what are some shows involving ecchi/fan-service that you believe are done well? Or what shows have both ecchi/fan-service AND a good plot? I’m curious since I don’t think the two are compatible.

Well that's a tricky question because it's always gonna be subjective. Both what a 'good plot' is (not to mention whether plot is the only thing that makes a show worth watching) and when the threshold of fanservice is reached that makes it so a show can be called 'ecchi'. You have Fairy Tail in your favorites and I've seen people call that ecchi. It certainly has the most fanservice among all battle shounen I know and to some degree also fits the aesthetics that you mention not liking in your post as far as the girls in it are concerned.

You might not see it as ecchi, but imo there are some shows with the ecchi tag that don't have much more (if at all) fanservice than Fairy Tail, like Nanatsu no Taizai or Shokugeki no Souma or Medaka Box. I liked all of those as battle shounen-esque shows and didn't really care about the fanservice one way or the other.

Setting those aside I can give you a list of non-harem ecchis that I liked for various reasons that I'll put in brackets, maybe you'll find something that picks your interest.

Monogatari Series (a bit harem-ish at times but really good MC, really good characters, great visuals, great dialogue, great action. Just a really good show imo)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/18679/Kill_la_Kill (very good show overall, great comedy and action and it actually uses the ecchi in somewhat symbolic ways according to many interpretations of the show that make a lot of sense to me, although not everyone agrees like it always is the case with interpretations)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/13203/Lupin_the_Third__Mine_Fujiko_to_Iu_Onna (very atmospheric, mature and also sexy take on the Lupin franchise centering around a strong and independent female MC. It has sexy content but it's so different from almost any other ecchi content that I don't think it should have the tag)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt (comedy, parody)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/268/Golden_Boy (comedy, very likable MC, classic)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8101/HenSemi (comedy, exploring sexuality and fetishes in funny ways)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34964/Killing_Bites (gritty, sexploitative action fest)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/404/Bastard__Ankoku_no_Hakaishin (comedy, fantasy)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/306/Abenobashi_Mahou%E2%98%86Shoutengai (kinda untypical, surreal slice of life)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/382/Futari_Ecchi (exploring the life of a newlywed couple)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32686/Keijo (hot-blooded sports/competitive setting and I love those)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1940/Outlanders (comedy)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1556/Kikoushi_Enma (supernatural horror)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/201/Video_Girl_Ai (surprisingly good drama and romance)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/29786/Shimoneta_to_Iu_Gainen_ga_Sonzai_Shinai_Taikutsu_na_Sekai (comedy with a nice anti-censorship theme)

If we're strictly talking about a good 'plot' and not good comedy, characters, slice of life, action, thematic explorations etc... I'd emphasize Kill la Kill, Mine Fujiko and Video Girl Ai as examples that can combine ecchi with good stories.
AlcoholicideJan 2, 2019 6:16 PM
Jan 2, 2019 6:26 PM

Nov 2017
hahaha!!! Holy seed....

if there is a word Echi on the tittle... @EcchiGodMamsterP would randomly appear..
Now Loading.....
Jan 2, 2019 6:27 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
bondtux said:
hahaha!!! Holy seed....

if there is a word Echi on the tittle... @EcchiGodMamsterP would randomly appear..

i don't do these threads anymore

the more people complain the more popular it becomes
Jan 2, 2019 7:41 PM

May 2009
Literally 11 months for this thread to be bumped
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 3, 2019 11:22 AM
Apr 2018
Pullman said:
Well that's a tricky question because it's always gonna be subjective. Both what a 'good plot' is (not to mention whether plot is the only thing that makes a show worth watching) and when the threshold of fanservice is reached that makes it so a show can be called 'ecchi'. You have Fairy Tail in your favorites and I've seen people call that ecchi. It certainly has the most fanservice among all battle shounen I know and to some degree also fits the aesthetics that you mention not liking in your post as far as the girls in it are concerned.

Now that you mention it, it is quite the contradiction considering I love Fairy Tail yet the main females tend to have big boobs and wear revealing clothing..... lol. The term “fan service” has been dropped casually in the show during certain scenarios where girls use their feminine wiles to charm a male character, but the show isn’t centered around romance or using sexiness as a form of comedy. Maybe that’s why it’s not noticeable to me.

When I see it from that perspective, I think my biggest issue with ecchi is the close association between ecchi and harems rather than my opposition to ecchi itself. As a female, I just seriously despise harem anime (I hate reverse harems as well).

Setting those aside I can give you a list of non-harem ecchis that I liked for various reasons that I'll put in brackets, maybe you'll find something that picks your interest....

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out.
Jan 3, 2019 12:07 PM

May 2013
Aquarius99 said:

Can't say whether they'd be up to your tastes, but apart from the ones previously mentioned, a couple of other shows also seemed to balance the two ingredients fairly well, without any needless harem angles thrown into the mix. In short, they manage to accomplish what they initially set out to do.

Akiba's Trip (12 episodes, mostly episodic, the synopsis speaks for itself)

I''s Pure (6 episodes, may or may not seem rushed depending on whether you have read the manga or not)

Truly a Divine Comedy
Jan 3, 2019 1:05 PM

Feb 2010
Aquarius99 said:
Pullman said:

Now that you mention it, it is quite the contradiction considering I love Fairy Tail yet the main females tend to have big boobs and wear revealing clothing..... lol. The term “fan service” has been dropped casually in the show during certain scenarios where girls use their feminine wiles to charm a male character, but the show isn’t centered around romance or using sexiness as a form of comedy. Maybe that’s why it’s not noticeable to me.

When I see it from that perspective, I think my biggest issue with ecchi is the close association between ecchi and harems rather than my opposition to ecchi itself. As a female, I just seriously despise harem anime (I hate reverse harems as well).

Funnily enough as a male I'm less bothered by reverse harems than 'regular' ones. I've enjoyed shows like Ouran Host Club, Akatsuki no Yona and Saiunkoku Monogatari. I think it's because they tend to have less physical forms of fanservice compared to male-targeted harems and I find that easier to ignore and it leaves more room for actual plot, at least in the reverse harems I've seen.
Jan 3, 2019 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
My favorite kind of fanservice is the kind that adds to the show, rather than just existing with it. Like Kill la Kill or Monogatari. Sexuality is a big part of both those shows and it wouldn't make any sense to tone down the fanservice. But I dislike when a panty shot gets in the way of a scene. If an anime is supposed to be serious, or a scene is supposed to be dramatic, random up skirt shots or accidental molestation is gonna be immersion breaking. And while I won't say ecchi-centric shows are "bad" per say, as y'know... to each their own. I'm not one for anime that have fanservice being the main and most prominent appeal. I favor story/character more than ecchi, so if the story/characters are a second thought to the ecchi I'm not gonna be interested. However, if the ecchi doesn't get in the way of (or even better, if it enhances,) the story, then that's the sorta stuff I can happily watch.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What anime character has the most annoying/toxic haters? ( 1 2 3 )

Adimus_prime - Mar 8, 2021

137 by APolygons2 »»
16 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

35 by alshu »»
17 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

100 by The-Mighty-Ranzo »»
21 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

36 by 23feanor »»
46 minutes ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

117 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.