Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2018 10:35 AM

Mar 2017
Zinzoo said:

Calm your horses. If lizardman arc wasn't necessary author wouldn't put it into the novels.

Maruyama doesn't really strike me as a stickler for the Chekov Gun Principle.

joe_g7 said:
@Crashmatt Focus on a character whom no one gives zero fucks about, heavy with dialogue, huge amounts of info dump with no room to breathe, awkward and cringy lizard flirting.

At least the lizard and his reasons for fighting (which isn't for some heroic altruism but to cull their own numbers and instill a sense of unity and camaraderie so that when they finally evacuate they will not starve and fight in their new settlement) is a tad more compelling compared to Albedo "I'm-a-yandere-psychopath-because-everybody-loves-that-right" or Aura "I'm-an-annoying-bitch" Fiore.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 16, 2018 10:36 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It was a great surprise to the Lizards tribe!!!
Jan 16, 2018 10:43 AM

Dec 2014
I wasn't sure why there was random focus in the Lizard tribe last episode but this episode made me like them a lot more.
Episode on the whole was pretty decent, pretty exposition and build up heavy.

Zaryusu and Crusch's 'flirting' was hilarious to watch. XD
Jan 16, 2018 10:53 AM

Feb 2015
FlawlezZ said:
bunny1998 said:
One full episode was wasted on Lizards which was really unnecessary
whole episode I was waiting for ainz ooal gown to show up but got disappointed instead

yep agree this series is shit. even worse than s1

Begs the question why the fuck your watchi ng it then.

Still could be worse it could be Naturto Shitpudding
Jan 16, 2018 10:59 AM

Dec 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
At least the lizard and his reasons for fighting (which isn't for some heroic altruism but to cull their own numbers and instill a sense of unity and camaraderie so that when they finally evacuate they will not starve and fight in their new settlement) is a tad more compelling compared to Albedo "I'm-a-yandere-psychopath-because-everybody-loves-that-right" or Aura "I'm-an-annoying-bitch" Fiore.
I agree they did a good job with the lizard's motivations and goals, but I don't believe that 20 minutes of constant dialogue were necessary to do that. I can be patient, but at some point, I just dozed off from all the unnecessary rambling.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 16, 2018 11:09 AM
Jul 2015
It's a shame the pacing wasn't faster. The Lizardmen arc / volume 4 is arguably the worst of the light novels, and it seem to be a common opinion. It does pick up a bit later, which is why I had hoped they'd speed through the parts before Cocytus steals the show.
Jan 16, 2018 11:29 AM

Nov 2016
After 1st season I though it´s about boy who is trapped in the game (Ainz) it was good idea and worth to watch .. and now it´s about some boring and not important lizards ?? ... 1st season 9/10 2nd 5/10 for first 2 episodes (and only because I hope next episodes will be much better)... it can be saved only by this girl with different colored eyes that was in first minute of 1st episode because she looks like strong enemy
Jan 16, 2018 11:52 AM

Oct 2014
So lizards can have a boner as well...
Jan 16, 2018 11:57 AM

Oct 2016
I'm enjoying the new characters and their lore, but I can't help but feel that it's lacking action. You can't just make building-up episodes forever, you know? Also, there was no need to focus on the lizardmen almost the entire time. An 7-8 minute introduction is already good enough IMO.
Jan 16, 2018 11:58 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
holy fucking shit

this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO old school me O__O

i used to be SUPER into these kinds of characters when i was a little kid, i love the lizard girl, shes so kawaii<3

Revvie-chan said:
So lizards can have a boner as well...

they can actually have 2 lol
Jan 16, 2018 11:58 AM

May 2013
Meh. Since in this season the focus was shifted from Ainz and his devoted NPCs cardboard cutouts I was hoping that the anime is going to get better, however the writing, dialogues and new characters are still abysmal. On top of that the pacing of the first two episodes is pretty bad, because so far nothing essential has happened.

On the other hand the last issue is probably going to get fixed in the next few episodes, while being worse than season 1 is going to be really difficult, so Overlord will probably only get better.
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Jan 16, 2018 12:04 PM
Nov 2016
That was incredibly slow paced and weird. The whole lizard flirting was weird as hell and they're focusing too much on the lizards.
Jan 16, 2018 12:06 PM

Jan 2008
If it weren't for the also meaningless bit about the penguin guy wanting to clear the base, I would have forgotten this was Overlord and not some furry anime I'd have no idea why I'd be watching in the first place.

Show is definitely off to a poor start. No balance of its excess exposition and main cast.

Nov 2015
Glad to see the lizardmen are being properly introduced, makes things to come that much more impactful

Aug 2014
While I love world building and understand how the backstory on the lizard clans will likely be capitalized on in a later episode in typical Overlord fashion, I do feel that this episode may have been too focused on the lizardmen. A few more scenes involving other characters would make the episode feel like a more natural progression.

The lizard romance scene was simultaneously hilarious and cringey. Like, I appreciate the character designs and the thought that goes into it, but man is it weird to watch lizardmen getting aroused. #NotMyFetish
Jan 16, 2018 12:09 PM

Sep 2014
Hmm. Felt almost like some sort of filler, or cashgrab OVA material.
Maximum uninteresting lizards talking about politics. Not bad in itself, but after ep1 already offered no "hype" material my hype is totally dead now. I was really excited to hear season 2 was coming now, but lets see. I just hope they got over with it quickly. I mean they are fighting the supreme one, who will be surprised if he wins.

No Albedo, No Ainz, no goth loli, atleast one of the pleiades grills was around. For 10 seconds.

Pls somebody tell me it will get better than this? I know a lot of people where hyped for the lizardman arc, but the fact that this season is supposed to be an entire arc of lizardman already annoys me.

PS: If this trend continues this might be surprisingly the weakest anime Im watching this season
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 16, 2018 12:11 PM

Feb 2007
You know, I don't even mind the lizardmen being the main focus these episodes, this couple is just too adorable. :D

Crush reminds me a lot of Stella Vermillion's reactions in the first episode(s) here. :D
Jan 16, 2018 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
Comander-07 said:
Hmm. Felt almost like some sort of filler, or cashgrab OVA material.
Maximum uninteresting lizards talking about politics. Not bad in itself, but after ep1 already offered no "hype" material my hype is totally dead now. I was really excited to hear season 2 was coming now, but lets see. I just hope they got over with it quickly. I mean they are fighting the supreme one, who will be surprised if he wins.

No Albedo, No Ainz, no goth loli, atleast one of the pleiades grills was around. For 10 seconds.

Pls somebody tell me it will get better than this? I know a lot of people where hyped for the lizardman arc, but the fact that this season is supposed to be an entire arc of lizardman already annoys me.

PS: If this trend continues this might be surprisingly the weakest anime Im watching this season

Shallchair

It's worth waiting until that moment happens. You'll understand what that word means once you'll see, but it's totally worth it.
Jan 16, 2018 12:22 PM

Aug 2012
I'm hoping they're gonna rush lizardman but they did not.

ED visuals are so beautiful
wvrJan 16, 2018 12:25 PM
Jan 16, 2018 12:39 PM
Dec 2014
Come on guys i know this arc isn't the best but you have to be patient, this for the sake for the build up, the climax of this arc will not be disappointment, next episode will see the first clash. Also nice visuals for the ending song 😍
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2018 1:07 PM

Feb 2016
I don't really care about some lizards so this episode was at most mediocre imo.
I've read the manga and I hope lizards will be more skipped in the anime.
Jan 16, 2018 1:11 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm gonna be honest here, I'm really liking the focus on completely new characters and looking at situations from the ''weaklings'' viewpoint.

That's something i rather see than Momonga and Albedo shenanigans for example.

Really good stuff.
Jan 16, 2018 1:13 PM

Mar 2012
Ugh, the lizard part...

I was sincerely hopping that they would skip this in the anime (maybe give it half episode at most and that’s it), you know since they have limited episodes and all. The lizard arc has been the most criticized in the manga and novel (have read both and both sucks). Not because it is poorly written, but because it is a side story of very little (if any) relevance to the main story so far (12 novel volumes?).

I mean, I like mahou shoujo and not because of that I would like giving mahou shoujos (theoretical example) that much attention in Overlord unless it would be, somehow important for the development of the story.

Hell, 99% of those damn lizards won't appear again, the 3 lizards that will have screen time again will have only incidental roles of a very few seconds in 2 or at most 3 chapters way, way, way ahead. Why would you focus that much in this part when even if you need it later you can simply use a flashback for the important lizards and settle everything in a much, much elegant, cohesive way.
Jan 16, 2018 1:15 PM

Aug 2017
im watching this anime to see momonga conquer the world and not to see some reptiles fight wtf
Jan 16, 2018 1:17 PM

May 2012
Seems we're breezing through the Lizardman arc, which is nice since I was never too big a fan of it aside from a character or two.

The meeting between Crusch and Zaryusu was funny to see animated though. Well, hope to see the conclusion since to this arc come soon since that's what's most important anyway since it'll help develop some Nazarick characters.

That ED tho. That creepy Renner. That Taure~ Mah girl Evileye
Can't wait to see all that.

It was also a lot better than S1's ED, imo. Sorry about that, Mayu

Jan 16, 2018 1:19 PM

Feb 2016
I felt like I were watching a completely different anime, I'm okay with having some focus on lizardmen while other thing happens in the background (Like something really interesting) But having 1 entire episode wasted on almost nothing but worthless infodump is not something I would wait a week for

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 16, 2018 1:20 PM

May 2016
I thought I couldn't make it to the end after episode one, and I was absolutely correct.
I have never, ever experienced this much awkwardly written exposition dumping, and the visuals compared to the rest of the seasonal lineup are absolutely inexcusable.

Dropped on the spot.
Jan 16, 2018 1:24 PM

Jun 2014
Zerity said:
Why is everyone hating on this arc?

bc its boring , even in the manga it was a chore to read
Jan 16, 2018 1:25 PM

Apr 2012
Zaryus is such a smooth talker. If he ever opens a conversation school I'll enlist right away.
Jan 16, 2018 1:30 PM

Dec 2010
Even without rerading the source material i'm expecting the lizardman lore to take the whole episode, so it was ok and i know this part can be heavy for some people but is indeed necessary to build up characters to be used later. Nothing is shown without a meaning, so be it.

Anyway is 4/5, the execution was solid and seems things will spicy up starting to the next episode.

Oh, and i like Entoma ant girl character, hopefully she will fight too and using some amazing skills.
Jan 16, 2018 1:31 PM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Yeah, sure why not, give us shitton of unimportant information about some secondary lizardmen clans, only so that MC can come, and be bombastic and save the day ... again ...
is what ordinary people would say. in my eyes it's preparation for faction wars :D
Jan 16, 2018 1:32 PM

Mar 2010
well, last season ended with Albedo saying that "man corps could only make undeaths of LV 40 or below" and that "there is a lizard village near by" and was wondering which undeaths their corps will make.
Jan 16, 2018 1:49 PM

Jun 2008
Ugh, less Lizard, more Momonga. This is a drag to watch. Literally even less interesting to watch than a filler of DBS. 13 episodes for this show and we're wasting it on lizardmen side stories and petty romances.

Coming from a non-LN/Manga reader, I can't imagine this would have any relevance to the main story or world building other than a few references. Even if it was important enough, they could do something like a Peter Griffin flashback to explain it. No need to waste 50min of air time.
Signature Here.
Jan 16, 2018 1:52 PM
Jul 2014
I wont spoil the details, but you guy know that this is full on lizard arc? The Ainz and crew almost wont make appearance, except a bit of Cocytus.
Jan 16, 2018 2:17 PM

Aug 2015
Swagernator said:
shitton of unimportant information about some secondary lizardmen
CG said:
Gee, I'm not interested in lizard mating rituals. Was it really necessary to spend that much time on it?
Akaome_Nanashi said:
who cares about lizards and lizards
Trebolz said:
Is this overlord, or overlizard? Like wtf?
KorudoKun said:
Now, this isn't what I bargained for. I'd like to see more of Ains
RegulusNeil said:
come on Ainz didnt appear this episode they should at least make the lizard intro a bit short
MrFalkers said:
Felt like this was 1 episode wasted on lizards that no one cares about
LF2005 said:
to summarise, it was another boring episode, so disappointing, the main plot is stuck in place & we see a side story that soon wont matter
hiraishinx said:
now it´s about some boring and not important lizards ??
Comander-07 said:
Felt almost like some sort of filler, or cashgrab OVA material. No Albedo, No Ainz, no goth loli, atleast one of the pleiades grills was around. For 10 seconds. Pls somebody tell me it will get better than this?

Well that's lots of people going into this anime having no idea what it's gonna be like.

I'm sorry to disappoint but this is not a filler, it's an actual arc in the light novel, so expect more lizard episodes. Everything isn't about Ainz, the arcs in Overlord is about different people in the world and how Ainz affect them, so for this arc, the lizardmen ARE the MCs. There will be more cool stuff, but that's after the lizards. So second half of this season unless they speed things up.

I liked this episode. Lizards are cool.
JokucJan 16, 2018 6:17 PM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jan 16, 2018 2:21 PM

Feb 2011
The idea behind this story is to show Momon as a demon lord, when the demon lord attacks it isn't the demonlord going to the front lines it is the small fry followed by a commander directed by a general so we have the standard set-up and we have a hero (Zaryusa) setting out and every hero needs a heroine (Crusch). This is pretty much the cliched episode of boy meets girl and they talk politics, if it was a standard shonen romance there would be a fight scene for hero to win girl's heart. In this case we have ostracized albino being proposed to she is an easy heroine, not unheard of, I think it's happened in anime a few times. Now we set out for other companions to fight against the demon lord.
Jan 16, 2018 2:22 PM

Dec 2016
Would have been funny if they made The Ring reference and gave them 7 days instead of 8.

Wow, he asked her to marry him at first sight lol.

Zaryusu is quite the sweet talker, it all worked out for him.

I had a feeling he would have to fight another tribe at some point, they are proud warriors after all.
Jan 16, 2018 2:27 PM

Aug 2012
Shifted viewpoint to those in Ainz's way of world domination. The story isn't Ainz just killing off random characters no one knows about thankfully. Would have gotten bored of this series if that was the case.

The clan with the most refugees left after this war will kill off the others for food. An alliance will probably keep that from happening. Nice to see Zaryusu actually knows about these types of things.

Forgot how smooth Zaryusu is. Wish more male main characters were as alpha as him. His screech was probably the best part for me.
Jan 16, 2018 2:34 PM

Oct 2014
Jokuc said:
Swagernator said:
shitton of unimportant information about some secondary lizardmen
CG said:
Gee, I'm not interested in lizard mating rituals. Was it really necessary to spend that much time on it?
Akaome_Nanashi said:
who cares about lizards and lizards
Trebolz said:
Is this overlord, or overlizard? Like wtf?
KorudoKun said:
Now, this isn't what I bargained for. I'd like to see more of Ains
RegulusNeil said:
come on Ainz didnt appear this episode they should at least make the lizard intro a bit short
MrFalkers said:
Felt like this was 1 episode wasted on lizards that no one cares about
LF2005 said:
to summarise, it was another boring episode, so disappointing, the main plot is stuck in place & we see a side story that soon wont matter
hiraishinx said:
now it´s about some boring and not important lizards ??
Comander-07 said:
Felt almost like some sort of filler, or cashgrab OVA material. No Albedo, No Ainz, no goth loli, atleast one of the pleiades grills was around. For 10 seconds. Pls somebody tell me it will get better than this?

Well that's lots of people going into this anime having no idea what it's gonna be like.

I'm sorry to disappoint but this is not a filler, it's an actual arc in the manga, so expect more lizard episodes. Everything isn't about Ainz, the arcs in Overlord is about different people in the world and how Ainz affect them, so for this arc, the lizardmen ARE the MCs. There will be more cool stuff, but that's after the lizards. So second half of this season unless they speed things up.

I liked this episode. Lizards are cool.

Heya ^_^, Appreciate the info, though I figured that out already, as why would they show filler in so many limited episodes, as well as detail the characters and the tribes so much.

You kinda took me outta context there, I opened that this isn't what I expected, however, went on to say how I'm enjoying the Lizard tribe arc as it's done so well.

I imagine you didn't read my post properly as you were probably scanning multiple people who sounded disappointed to fill them in, so it's cool, I'd just appreciate ya checking a bit more of the person's opinions first o.o.

Thanks for the confirmation that this is a focused arc though ~ I just really don't like being grouped in with the lizard haters ^_^' Go lizards!

Jan 16, 2018 2:40 PM
Oct 2015
Akaome_Nanashi said:
It was very bad episode... who cares about lizards and lizards flirts and love.. this episode was trash i had big expectations and I ended up with two trash episodes there is 11 to go i hope there is something happening...
I liked this episode. Was fun and a nice change of pace.
Jan 16, 2018 2:43 PM

Feb 2014
ED is way too classy!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 16, 2018 2:43 PM

Aug 2015
KorudoKun said:

Heya ^_^, Appreciate the info, though I figured that out already, as why would they show filler in so many limited episodes, as well as detail the characters and the tribes so much.

You kinda took me outta context there, I opened that this isn't what I expected, however, went on to say how I'm enjoying the Lizard tribe arc as it's done so well.

I imagine you didn't read my post properly as you were probably scanning multiple people who sounded disappointed to fill them in, so it's cool, I'd just appreciate ya checking a bit more of the person's opinions first o.o.

Thanks for the confirmation that this is a focused arc though ~ I just really don't like being grouped in with the lizard haters ^_^' Go lizards!

Yeah, I saw that you liked it, I read all posts. I wanted to say the things about the novel to you and explain why there is no Ainz. But since I wanted to reply to the people who were displeased with the episodes as well I just thew you in there. Edited the post because I didn't want more than 1 line per quote, takes up so much space. I apologize if I made you look like a hater
JokucJan 16, 2018 6:17 PM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jan 16, 2018 2:52 PM

Aug 2013
Can we talk about how weird it is to hear Myth & Roid with their new lead singer tho? Like man, I'm not even sure how to feel about that.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 16, 2018 2:57 PM

Nov 2008
been wondering if its ainz who is going to war with the lizardmen pretty much?

Also sensing a little rebellion within ainz's forces.

Jan 16, 2018 3:06 PM
Jan 2010
better than season 1, subarashi
Jan 16, 2018 3:12 PM

Jan 2012
Goodness, spending so much time with the lizard tribes I almost forget what show I'm watching. I certainly enjoyed seeing their interactions though. That little romance stuff thrown in was cute too.  I'm still a bit confused though. So that monstrous entity they're trying to band together to face....it's not Ainz related right? Because they'd have no chance if it was. And watching all this just to see them wiped out would be shitty. So I'm wondering when he'll interact with them finally. Through Cocytus right? Well if it remains as interesting as it has been so far I guess I'm in no hurry.
Jan 16, 2018 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
Not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed the exposition about the lizardmen and their culture. Zaryusu would also be a cool main character in another story, too bad he is going to get destroyed by Cocytus, unfortunately.
Jan 16, 2018 3:32 PM

Aug 2012
Zero_Vi_Britania said:
been wondering if its ainz who is going to war with the lizardmen pretty much?

Also sensing a little rebellion within ainz's forces.

animefan8800 said:
Goodness, spending so much time with the lizard tribes I almost forget what show I'm watching. I certainly enjoyed seeing their interactions though. That little romance stuff thrown in was cute too.  I'm still a bit confused though. So that monstrous entity they're trying to band together to face....it's not Ainz related right? Because they'd have no chance if it was. And watching all this just to see them wiped out would be shitty. So I'm wondering when he'll interact with them finally. Through Cocytus right? Well if it remains as interesting as it has been so far I guess I'm in no hurry.

Yes, it was Ainz that sent the messenger.
Jan 16, 2018 3:43 PM

May 2010
I absolutely hated the lizardmen arc in the lightnovel, they bring nothing to the story progression same with the dwarf arc thats likely to come either s2 or s3, well at the very least the dwarfs brought something to the table unlike the lizards.
Jan 16, 2018 3:47 PM

Sep 2016
Yeah the bitching has started.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2018

288 by Matheus050 »»
May 8, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2018

197 by RayousSR »»
Apr 24, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

254 by WienGirl »»
Apr 21, 4:17 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2018

174 by Matheus050 »»
Feb 25, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

354 by BlueSnow93 »»
Feb 11, 5:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.