Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 9, 2017 9:30 PM
Nov 2010
Wow. If they were able to create this amount of suspense, creepiness, action, and just perspective during the fight all the times this show would be amazing. This episode was amazing. I hope they don't get Dia she's my fave girl. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Feels like the shell people were kind of a side note. Wish they would somehow be relevant to the plot later on.
Dec 9, 2017 10:13 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was amazing. The movements were smooth and the setting was right! Can't wait for the next episode.
Dec 9, 2017 10:20 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, so tense. Diamond's fight scene looked especially amazing. The part where she was crawling around hiding reminded me of that Jurassic Park kitchen scene haha.
Dec 9, 2017 10:23 PM

Jan 2014
Holy. Hell.

This anime is low-key the dark horse. Very under-watched. However, I am pleased to see that the score is now sitting comfortably at 7.90! Like wow. 8.00 is really possible, and it's well deserved. This show is original with unconventional action scenes, eerie mystery, cool characters, and amazing soundtracks. I can't stop gushing about this show. I wonder if there will be a second season, though. I'm excited for next week.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 9, 2017 10:23 PM
Nov 2017
chagrined said:
Wow, so tense. Diamond's fight scene looked especially amazing. The part where she was crawling around hiding reminded me of that Jurassic Park kitchen scene haha.
Not just that, the part building up to her first seeing it was also highly reminiscent of the T-Rex' intro.
Dec 9, 2017 10:26 PM
Nov 2017
Zelev said:
Like wow. 8.00 is really possible, and it's well deserved.
I've been tracking this show's score on a spreadsheet for the past two weeks and the tl;dr of the calculations is that I'll be surprised if HnK doesn't settle somewhere above 8.40.
Dec 9, 2017 10:29 PM

Aug 2015
This is film-level cinematography in TV anime. The direction of this anime has been top notch.

Not happy there's only two episodes left. Would really like another 12 episodes.
Dec 9, 2017 11:34 PM

Jun 2015
MetaThPr4h said:
Fuck ufotable, I want action to look like this, holy shit that was amazing.

I really support you completely!
Dec 9, 2017 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
Areku2021 said:
Not just that, the part building up to her first seeing it was also highly reminiscent of the T-Rex' intro.

Nice point, I didn't catch that, but you're totally right! The vibrations shaking the vase and everything hahaha. I wonder if any of that was intentional.
Dec 10, 2017 12:22 AM
Jun 2016
Anyone get bayonetta type vibes from the boss?
Dec 10, 2017 1:17 AM

Mar 2017
holy crap that was amazing. Boy i can't wait for the next episode. I think Houseki no Kuni is my pick for anime of the season. It's just SO GOOD.
Dec 10, 2017 1:25 AM

Oct 2013
I want a season two after the two episodes remaining
But not enough viewers I think... I mean just watch here the lack of comments. Mostly because it's cgi, damn those morons.
TitadouDec 10, 2017 1:29 AM
Dec 10, 2017 3:59 AM
Nov 2017
Titadou said:
I want a season two after the two episodes remaining
But not enough viewers I think... I mean just watch here the lack of comments. Mostly because it's cgi, damn those morons.

It's popular in Japan and East Asia;don't worry, it has a smart chance to get S2. :)
Dec 10, 2017 4:37 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Pho's new gear and personality really is different to how she was in the past. Pho's observations have really become pretty detailed huh. Borts request to teamup was unusual considering the bond that exists between him and Dia. Dia though must feel horrible at seeing Bort head out with a new partner though despite the calmness she showed to Phos. Learning to react at the exact point of contact is good advice. Hmm these new types of lunarians sure are much more powerful than their predecessors. Good to know that Bort does know when its time to fall back. Poor Dia getting chased though. But man Dia was really brave in resolving to face it by herself and managed to score an impressive victory. Though kinda sucks that two more appeared to replace it. Things are looking grim here.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2017 4:47 AM
Jul 2018
New Lunarian with big power and Poor Dia. But i noticed rating of this anime greatly increasing (7.00 to almost 8.00).
Dec 10, 2017 6:10 AM

Jun 2013
This lunarian seems to be connected with Antarcticite, maybe the lunarians needed some material to make a real physical appearance.

I like this anime so much!, It´s my AOTS and probably one of the bests of the year.

Armisrael
The fate of Destruction▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Deviant
is also the joy of Rebirth ▬ ▬▬Beast
Twtr
Arael
Dec 10, 2017 7:18 AM

Jun 2016
I was terrified for Dia and once I think it's okay and she has a beautiful moment with Bort, they appear again. This show is just a roller-coaster for my emotions. I really hope we get another season.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Dec 10, 2017 7:23 AM

Feb 2014
ALOC said:
MetaThPr4h said:

I really support you completely!

This episode's animation was simply wow! Another animation to look up to.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 10, 2017 7:51 AM

Jan 2017
Username23489023 said:
That was some great CGI, I upped the score to 7.

It annoys me how everyone keeps calling feminine characters "he" when they sit, act, walk, look, speak like a woman, and wear women’s clothing, hair, shoes, makeup. Trolls I tell ya. That’s like calling a character with an adams apple, bulging muscles, male clothes, and male voice actor a she.

Also this isn’t a seinen. I don’t see how the next two episodes could ever make it a seinen. This is mostly a shounen with the all battles and phos power ups, or at least an action packed shoujo considering the feminine characters and the constant emo crap about phos relationships and wanting to feel needed.

The gems use masculine pronouns to refer to themselves. The author chose to give them feminine appearances but use masculine words to emphasize their lack of gender.
And this is a seinen. That's what the manga's genre is and later one you can see how negatively the "power-ups" are affecting them and everyone else. HNK is a character study on Phos, while also being about immortality, changing and death. Also how is this a shoujo? Those are romance and there hasn't been a single hint of that so far.
Dec 10, 2017 8:33 AM

Apr 2016
Such an anmazing episode and what an ending!

Not only because of the fights (I loved the scene where Bort was bouncing against the mutiple arms) but my little romantic heart was in heaven with the lines :

"_ I'm glad we split up...
From afar I see how much you mean to me.

_ Me too."

I'm still crying.
This show will be a 10.

Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 10, 2017 12:41 PM
Dec 10, 2017 10:09 AM

Apr 2015
Definitely my favorite anime this year.
Dec 10, 2017 10:16 AM

Jan 2013
What an amazing episode and fight! I was on the edge of my seat the whole episode. I wish every CGI was done like this <3

I'm glad I decided to give this show an opportunity in the end and I'm not disappointed.

redpandagirl said:
Username23489023 said:
Also this isn’t a seinen. I don’t see how the next two episodes could ever make it a seinen. This is mostly a shounen with the all battles and phos power ups, or at least an action packed shoujo considering the feminine characters and the constant emo crap about phos relationships and wanting to feel needed.

Also how is this a shoujo? Those are romance and there hasn't been a single hint of that so far.

I don't know if the guy said it with that intention but just a clarification, shoujo =/= romance, the genre include romance pretty often. Maybe you know it but I don't like people looking down on the shoujo genre just because the whole 'it's for girls and it's associated with romance'. But yeah, I don't see how's this a shoujo?
Dec 10, 2017 10:51 AM

Oct 2017
Areku2021 said:
Zelev said:
Like wow. 8.00 is really possible, and it's well deserved.
I've been tracking this show's score on a spreadsheet for the past two weeks and the tl;dr of the calculations is that I'll be surprised if HnK doesn't settle somewhere above 8.40.

Yeah , I remembered MiA got a 0.5 score bump at the end cuz people edited their score after finishing the whole show.

I imagine this anime will happen the same.
Easily anime of the season with no contest.

Ancient Magus Bride, on the other hand, is a let down for me, sadly.
(Not just the plot, the animation is not as good too)
Dec 10, 2017 11:11 AM
Nov 2017
Ventus_S said:
Yeah , I remembered MiA got a 0.5 score bump at the end cuz people edited their score after finishing the whole show.
Not just that, I'm looking at how the score is changing, then looking at other concluded shows and the current number of users with HnK on their MAL to estimate how many more scores it will get and what those new scores will average.

Based on what I've seen so far, 8.4~8.9 seems like the most likely range, but that's without knowing how good eps 11 and 12 are and assuming there isn't a surge in popularity (given the way this show works and how its score started, a popularity surge would drive the final score even higher than projected).

For context, over the past 36 hours the average of new/altered scores has been 9.46, and for the previous week it was 8.8
Dec 10, 2017 11:27 AM

Aug 2011
this episode was beautiful in more ways than one
Dec 10, 2017 12:36 PM

Jul 2015
Bort's hair is weird. And so is that new Lunarian FREAKING THING WAS LOOKIN CRAZY, poor Dia left to fend for herself against it and for quite a while too, was gettin flashbacks to Jurasic Park's Rapters in the Kitchen while she was sneakin around, but she put up a damn good fight. Too bad this thing ain't ready to go.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 10, 2017 1:02 PM

Sep 2017
The fight choreography on this episode was fucking amazing! All shows with CG animation should learn from this!

This show started more or less as a 7 for me, as a 3d show with some very interesting visuals, designs and surprisingly expresive characters. After the snail fight of episode 3 I realiced how smooth and clean the fights were and it went near an 8 that it surpassed after the winter arc. And it has only gotten better and better over these last weeks with all the character development that Phos is getting. I might end up giving it a 9 if it keeps this up.
Dec 10, 2017 2:14 PM

Sep 2013
Bort teaming with phos and she and dia figure out how much they mean to each other :'(
The running and fighting was nice, dia pulling through in the end but not yet done.
Dec 10, 2017 3:05 PM

Oct 2017
bomi said:

I don't know if the guy said it with that intention but just a clarification, shoujo =/= romance, the genre include romance pretty often. Maybe you know it but I don't like people looking down on the shoujo genre just because the whole 'it's for girls and it's associated with romance'. But yeah, I don't see how's this a shoujo?

What I was getting at is that I can see why someome would call it a shoujo. It focuses on feeling needed and being protected. Reminds me of natsume and other such shoujos in that aspect, like how shes protect by bort and etc. It even feels like a sailor moon with black uniforms instead of white. They all got special jewel powers. I just cannot see how it’s a seinen.

redpandagirl said:
And this is a seinen. That's what the manga's genre is and later one you can see how negatively the "power-ups" are affecting them and everyone else. HNK is a character study on Phos, while also being about immortality, changing and death.

That’s the setup for a lot of shounen as well. UQ Holder is a character study on Tota, while also being about immortality changing and death. Fullmetal Alchemist is a character study on Edward, while also being about immortality changing and death. Goku had power ups that negatively affected them and others. Ichigo had power ups that negatively affected them and others. You can change the names for most shounen.

This follows the shounen formula quite well. Random bad guys appear and does mean things. MC cannot do anything but wants to be helpful. MC goes to power up. MC encounters bad guys again. MC loses favored side character to death or kidnapping. MC gets super power up to get revenge or retrieve side character.

It’s pretty much on track for a shounen, but how can this be seinen? What actually makes a seinen? I’d think it would be a lack of childish things combined with adult content. It has childish things and no adult content. I could show this to a 10 year old girl and she would probably like it. A 10 year old girl would probably dislike Ghost in the Shell because it has adult concepts as well as nude scenes with graphic content. She would probably think it’s boring and get offended at the scene where she loses her camo and rips her arms off trying to open the tank. 10 year old girl would probably dislike chobits as well, plus I would feel awkward for showing a 10 year old girl chobits. I wouldn’t feel awkward showing a 10 year old girl this.
Dec 10, 2017 5:17 PM

Jan 2013
Username23489023 said:

I think I understand you, but feeling needed or being protected isn't about shoujo, entirely? I don't know, just because they have powers it can't be a seinen? HNK doesn't focus that much in battles and power-ups. Sure, it's a pretty important aspect of the anime/manga but I think, and well, what I get watching it since I don't read the manga, is that this focus more on the characters and their relationships without going into romance and this doesn't dig on battles like a shounen do (at least for now), for example. And I think shounen even means going into an adventure, that I know?

What's a seinen for you? I don't think a seinen has to be super dark or even psychological to be a... seinen. Every genre share similarities, I guess it varies depending of the focus and like I said, I think the focus here are the characters. But... could be a shounen focused on characters or deep themes? Yes. If I'm not wrong and if you don't know it, anime and manga are often denominated as shoujo, or seinen, or shounen, or josei and so on after the magazine where they're published or the channel/time slot it airs.

Anyways, what does it matter if this is a shounen or seinen? Just enjoy it!
Dec 10, 2017 5:27 PM

Feb 2013
Username23489023 said:

It’s pretty much on track for a shounen, but how can this be seinen? What actually makes a seinen? I’d think it would be a lack of childish things combined with adult content. It has childish things and no adult content. I could show this to a 10 year old girl and she would probably like it. A 10 year old girl would probably dislike Ghost in the Shell because it has adult concepts as well as nude scenes with graphic content. She would probably think it’s boring and get offended at the scene where she loses her camo and rips her arms off trying to open the tank. 10 year old girl would probably dislike chobits as well, plus I would feel awkward for showing a 10 year old girl chobits. I wouldn’t feel awkward showing a 10 year old girl this.

The classification as a seinen manga/anime is merely a question of demography. If it's published in a seinen magazine, then it's automatically a seinen manga/anime. Now what YOU think it should be classified in terms of genre is a whole different story.
Dec 10, 2017 5:30 PM

Oct 2017
bomi said:

I think I understand you, but feeling needed or being protected isn't about shoujo, entirely? I don't know, just because they have powers it can't be a seinen? HNK doesn't focus that much in battles and power-ups. Sure, it's a pretty important aspect of the anime/manga but I think, and well, what I get watching it since I don't read the manga, is that this focus more on the characters and their relationships without going into romance and this doesn't dig on battles like a shounen do (at least for now), for example. And I think shounen even means going into an adventure, that I know?

What's a seinen for you? I don't think a seinen has to be super dark or even psychological to be a... seinen. Every genre share similarities, I guess it varies depending of the focus and like I said, I think the focus here are the characters. But... could be a shounen focused on characters or deep themes? Yes. If I'm not wrong and if you don't know it, anime and manga are often denominated as shoujo, or seinen, or shounen, or josei and so on after the magazine where they're published or the channel/time slot it airs.

Anyways, what does it matter if this is a shounen or seinen? Just enjoy it!

The only real seinen thing about this is where the manga was published, but this an anime not a manga. That’s like calling Bebop a shoujo.

It matters because that’s the tag on the anime. It doesn’t make me like or dislike the anime any more or less. I just like the clarification.
Dec 10, 2017 5:46 PM

Jan 2013
Username23489023 said:
The only real seinen thing about this is where the manga was published, but this an anime not a manga. That’s like calling Bebop a shoujo.

It matters because that’s the tag on the anime. It doesn’t make me like or dislike the anime any more or less. I just like the clarification.

Yeah, but this anime is following the manga, and if the manga is considered seinen, why wouldn't the adaptation? It would be different if it didn't follow the manga. It's what @bubblegumrave and I already said, it's because of the magazine, if you want to consider HNK a shounen or even a shoujo, go on.
Dec 10, 2017 6:10 PM

Jul 2015
MetaThPr4h said:

Diamond using her sharpness as a weapon was a really nice strategy.

It's even better because Dia's fight was one whole shot I believe, everything was on point.
Dec 10, 2017 7:02 PM
Nov 2017
terminador_2397 said:
It's even better because Dia's fight was one whole shot I believe, everything was on point.
Two. Three, if you count the cutaway to Bort when Dia's dodging in the window.
Dec 10, 2017 7:08 PM

May 2017
Ahahaha!! Someone just try, try to fucking dislike this episode xD HolyHotBuns!! This was 10/10 tier shit!

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'd like to see you try ;)) but, I don't think there has been any other anime to animate as godly as this show just flawlessly did, and not to mention with 3-D animation! This show, and specifically this episode has taken animation to a whole new level!! So friggin hyped for the next ep!!
Dec 10, 2017 7:25 PM
Nov 2017
FukGoBack said:
Someone just try, try to fucking dislike this episode
Hold my beer.

HnnNNGGHH!!

Nope, can't do it.
Dec 10, 2017 11:47 PM

Dec 2009
Damn that thing is a fucking beast.

redpandagirl said:
Username23489023 said:

It annoys me how everyone keeps calling feminine characters "he" when they sit, act, walk, look, speak like a woman, and wear women’s clothing, hair, shoes, makeup. Trolls I tell ya. That’s like calling a character with an adams apple, bulging muscles, male clothes, and male voice actor a she.

The gems use masculine pronouns to refer to themselves. The author chose to give them feminine appearances but use masculine words to emphasize their lack of gender.
And this is a seinen. That's what the manga's genre is and later one you can see how negatively the "power-ups" are affecting them and everyone else. HNK is a character study on Phos, while also being about immortality, changing and death. Also how is this a shoujo? Those are romance and there hasn't been a single hint of that so far.
Technically, when considering biological forms, most organisms are female by default, then use hormones and things to generate male. Referring to them as explicitly female would be much less strange than referring to them as explicitly male. Though most cultures in history have been patriarchal in some way, so oral traditions following suit is not farfetched.
GenesisAriaDec 10, 2017 11:55 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 11, 2017 3:10 AM
Aug 2017
Username23489023 said:

You are the troll. It is funny that you are annoying by that. People will call them whatever they want.
The author let them using male pronouns. They called each other brothers. And there is no action they do that male cannot do. They don't even have sexual organ, or any organ at all.
There are 2 translator groups translated the manga and both of them using male pronouns so I will followed them.
This is a seinen because of the demographic of the magazine the manga is published in. Who said seinen cannot have battle? Look at Tokyo Ghoul, One Punch-Man and Berserk. Seinen means it is for older males as oppose to shounen for teens and young boys. You are mistaking demographic with genre.
Dec 11, 2017 3:14 AM

Feb 2015
Himawari9 said:
They don't even have sexual organ, or any organ at all.

Well... they have eyes.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 11, 2017 3:18 AM
Aug 2017
Username23489023 said:
bomi said:

What I was getting at is that I can see why someome would call it a shoujo. It focuses on feeling needed and being protected. Reminds me of natsume and other such shoujos in that aspect, like how shes protect by bort and etc. It even feels like a sailor moon with black uniforms instead of white. They all got special jewel powers. I just cannot see how it’s a seinen.

redpandagirl said:
And this is a seinen. That's what the manga's genre is and later one you can see how negatively the "power-ups" are affecting them and everyone else. HNK is a character study on Phos, while also being about immortality, changing and death.

That’s the setup for a lot of shounen as well. UQ Holder is a character study on Tota, while also being about immortality changing and death. Fullmetal Alchemist is a character study on Edward, while also being about immortality changing and death. Goku had power ups that negatively affected them and others. Ichigo had power ups that negatively affected them and others. You can change the names for most shounen.

This follows the shounen formula quite well. Random bad guys appear and does mean things. MC cannot do anything but wants to be helpful. MC goes to power up. MC encounters bad guys again. MC loses favored side character to death or kidnapping. MC gets super power up to get revenge or retrieve side character.

10 year old girl won't understand this or find this interesting at all. There are a lot of teenagers posting on the manga comment section that they don't understand the plot and the characters. Things gonna go dark soon.
Himawari9Dec 11, 2017 3:25 AM
Dec 11, 2017 3:19 AM
Aug 2017
Hakaminah said:
Himawari9 said:
They don't even have sexual organ, or any organ at all.

Well... they have eyes.

Can those be called eyes? They are just made of mineral, the same as our jewelry. Their faces are just like stone statues that were chiseled
Dec 11, 2017 3:27 AM

Feb 2015
@Himawari9 the color of Iris is the same as gems' main color but the rest is white, it have different color than powder too and when gems get shattered or when Phos got melted it looked like they're not part of them in the same level as their arms etc.
It's the only part that looks different so I can't think of it as anything but organ-like thing that can be easily replaced (easier than rest of their bodies atleast).
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 11, 2017 4:10 AM

Oct 2017
Himawari9 said:
Things gonna go dark soon.

So far The Lion King is darker than this.
Dec 11, 2017 10:19 PM

Oct 2008
WOW! this has to be the most intense episode!
New Lunarian is already like a boss level opponent!
Bort immediately recruits Phos as his teammate!
Dia was really reckless but very brave! and Dia got totally wrecked there! Bort for total rampaging revenge!
So intense I rewatched the episode again for the 2nd! lolz
5/5!

EDIT: you see how fast Bort runs? it looked exactly like how fast 2B runs (from NieR: Automata)
matias067Dec 11, 2017 10:24 PM

Dec 12, 2017 4:05 PM
Oct 2013
Seems like a very unconventional story so far, and my kind of thing. I haven't been following it weekly, just caught up with it tonight and everything about the art direction is breath taking. I wonder how much subtext I'm missing because the Lunarians clearly have tons of Buddhist imagery but I know nothing about that.
Dec 12, 2017 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
I thought we won't see this level of production value in a TV anime series except in threater!

Anyway, the ending left surprised! I was sure he was fighting one and now it splits up? I hope Dia will be OK and hopefully Sensei has already woken up by the time.
Dec 12, 2017 5:52 PM
Nov 2017
Pumparum said:
I wonder how much subtext I'm missing because the Lunarians clearly have tons of Buddhist imagery but I know nothing about that.

It helps to know a little, but it's not prominent until the end of this season and extends to the rest of the story.
Dec 12, 2017 9:41 PM

Mar 2009
Dia kicked ass in this episode. O__O

Dec 14, 2017 8:17 AM

Apr 2015
that hide and seek... too much great CGI and stuff out there!

Dia/Bort dynamic is both good and bad. them splitting up is both good and bad.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

211 by Lucas_Gomes7914 »»
Yesterday, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

316 by ViSpace »»
May 21, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

114 by ViSpace »»
May 21, 12:52 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

171 by ViSpace »»
May 20, 6:45 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

160 by ViSpace »»
May 20, 5:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.