Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2016 1:59 PM

Feb 2014
The feels train has arrived. T_T

Poor Naho, starting to believe that changing the future would be easy, but then reality came by and dealt a personal blow to her.

I doubt she would've noticed Kakeru's little question stuffed inside the eraser cover had she not read the letter, but thanks to her late reply since she was, I believe, on clean-up duty, She was unable to reply to Kakeru in time.

Because of that, Ueda, who was only introduced briefly earlier in the episode, snagged Kakeru. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pressurised into giving her an answer right then and there. I wonder if he'll start having regrets about his choice now...

Back to the future, our main group have become pretty distant, wounds unable to heal fully after Kakeru's death, which Suwa mentioning that it wasn't accidental. If it was a suicide, then I do hope the currant Naho and the rest of the group can prevent that from happening.

The whole scene made me well up, along with Naho drinking her orange juice while depressed. Surely but slowly, Orange is hitting it's stride and I'm sure the feels train will return with plenty of moments that'll test our emotions once again.

Excellent episode overall. =)
Jul 17, 2016 2:00 PM

Jan 2015
One thing that's struck me throughout these episodes is the dialogue that has nothing to do with the story, for example the conversation about the tourist and the station while Kakeru was writing down the drinks. It flowed nicely, felt natural, and seemed like something friends would actually talk about together just to have fun and make jokes - which just makes the stilted, awkward small talk in the future and "We're not close anymore, nobody's laughing at all" all the more sad and regretful.
Jul 17, 2016 2:03 PM

Sep 2013
Such a melancholy feel to this show. It makes me happy and sad at the same time.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 17, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2016
The letter scene was done so well holy shit. I cried, earliest I've ever during an anime before.
Jul 17, 2016 2:14 PM

Nov 2014
OMG, Why did Kakeru accept to date that girl? He likes Naho. So much feels.
"The world is beautiful. Even if you're full of tears and sadness, open your eyes. Do what you want to do. Be what you want to be. Find friends. Don't be in a hurry to grow up. Take your time."

Jul 17, 2016 2:21 PM

Dec 2014
oooh the feels in this episode at the end.... Will the fututre change...is what I am hoping for
Jul 17, 2016 2:29 PM

Aug 2014
The feels train is intensifying every episode and almost made me cry so by episode five I will,I guess.Another shocking moment,he was in a continuous trauma and choose to die instead of giving his future a chance.The only man who is certain of his future is the one who chooses to die.I felt like a happy idiot when she unintentionally mentioned the title of the series,,Orange,, and I felt that orange taste in my mouth...This drama series is perfection
Jul 17, 2016 2:35 PM

Aug 2014
a_nellisa said:
danieltortoisee said:
Also, can't say I'm at all surprised to learned that Kakeru killed himself, but from everything we've seen so far I don't understand what drove him to it at all.
Wait till the saddest chapter of the manga to be adapted, as you might guess— it's Kakeru's POV.

I suppose if that won't make me cry I am a stone heart
Jul 17, 2016 2:42 PM
Feb 2016
Which manga chapters have been adapted, I really want to know how this one ends.
Jul 17, 2016 2:50 PM

Oct 2012
kaminoteki said:
Which manga chapters have been adapted, I really want to know how this one ends.

One chapter per episode so far. Start at 4.
Now I’m not sure how they will fit 22 chapter in 13 episodes at this rate.
Jul 17, 2016 2:53 PM
Jun 2015
The feels man. Live series like that. Here's to hope they don't rush things and make it a memorable series.
Jul 17, 2016 2:56 PM

May 2015
Ah, what a wonderful adaptation. Them feels at the ending.... The drama is slowly kicking in. And also, looks like Ueda bitch appeared. O my, it's going to be such a pain to see her appear on my screen.

Great episode again.

Jul 17, 2016 2:59 PM

Apr 2013
More of the same this week, I see. Still has awkward editing at times, awkward moments where it stays on someone's face for too long, awkward scenes where people laugh at things for way too long... Still too slow of a pace, Naho is still way too passive and frustrating about everything. Still too much generic small talk that still hasn't made me care about any of the characters. Kakeru is starting to get more talkative but he seems to just be looking down on Naho a lot of the time, if this is supposed to be a romantic interaction it comes off more as "Kakeru is being annoying and Naho just kind of deals with it because she has a crush and can't possibly respond to things in a prompt or direct way." Seriously, I can barely tell the difference between when she's trying to make any kind of decision regarding the letters and when she's sad because Kakeru accepted that random girl's confession, she has no range of emotion and doesn't do anything. And at the end they reveal that Kakeru probably killed himself, which I'm pretty sure most of us were expecting from the start. His letter was pretty generic, yes it was interesting that they revealed his suicide by making him address his letter to everyone else rather than himself, but like he talked about how Naho is modest, that one guy is good at soccer, and just meaningless stuff about the different characters. Maybe if I was part of their friend group it would have mattered, or maybe if the characters themselves were interesting it would have mattered, but as it is the letter wasn't sad, it just reminded them that he's dead and now they know it was probably suicide.

So far the only things that I can understand as being potentially interesting are Kakeru's dead mom and the fact that he kills himself later. But those things aren't inherently sad, the mom story was told so dispassionately, it was so matter-of-fact and had nothing serious surrounding it so I don't see why people would be sad about that. Kind of like, that's just more information, the scene itself wasn't set up to evoke any emotion. The scene where they find out that Kakeru committed suicide could have been sad, but so far characters have only had boring small talk so I don't know or care about any of them so seeing them get sad does nothing yet. Maybe once the series decides to start giving personality to the characters I'll be able to come back and watch this and it'll seem more sad, but for now it was just a predictable twist that showed the characters crying. This anime does a lot of showing the characters feeling emotion without evoking any emotion in me. As someone that regularly cries while watching even somewhat mediocre anime, I'm really surprised at how emotional people say this is when I feel nothing but annoyance towards it.

I'm still trying to enjoy each episode though. I set aside my annoyance while I'm watching and only start focusing on it after I finish the episode, besides that I'm trying really hard to get invested in the characters but it makes it so hard to do that when the characters are so flat and don't say or do anything. Words come out but none of it matters to me, it's not important to pay attention to because unless it has something to do with the letters it won't progress the plot and none of it has built up any of their personalities.

I feel like I've stumbled upon an anime that for me does everything wrong, but has a community backing it that thinks it does everything right. My "boring" is other people's "realistic," my "annoyingly passive" is other people's "relatable," my "predictable and dispassionate" is other people's "feels." I'm gonna have to drop it after this episode, clearly this anime was not meant for me. I may read the manga though, I can read through that at a pace that is nearly 4x as fast as the anime goes, which feels a little bit more natural considering how little the dialogue matters so far. I hope everyone that likes this anime enjoys the rest of it though.
Jul 17, 2016 3:03 PM

Apr 2013
Naho is hard headed.
Jul 17, 2016 3:30 PM

Apr 2016
What an episode, just can't wait to see what's coming next.
My latest Hajime no Ippo AMV:
Jul 17, 2016 3:35 PM
Aug 2013
Orange is Best Anime of this season, beside Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu that running on last season and this season . . . :))
~ この 素晴らしい イマダ の 世界 に 神様 の 祝福 を !!! ~
~ Kono Subarashii Imad no Sekai ni Kamisama no Shukufuku wo !!! ~
~ God's Blessing on This Wonderful Imad's World !!! ~
Jul 17, 2016 3:36 PM

Jul 2015
HaiiroTama said:
More of the same this week, I see. Still has awkward editing at times, awkward moments where it stays on someone's face for too long, awkward scenes where people laugh at things for way too long... Still too slow of a pace, Naho is still way too passive and frustrating about everything. Still too much generic small talk that still hasn't made me care about any of the characters. Kakeru is starting to get more talkative but he seems to just be looking down on Naho a lot of the time, if this is supposed to be a romantic interaction it comes off more as "Kakeru is being annoying and Naho just kind of deals with it because she has a crush and can't possibly respond to things in a prompt or direct way." Seriously, I can barely tell the difference between when she's trying to make any kind of decision regarding the letters and when she's sad because Kakeru accepted that random girl's confession, she has no range of emotion and doesn't do anything. And at the end they reveal that Kakeru probably killed himself, which I'm pretty sure most of us were expecting from the start. His letter was pretty generic, yes it was interesting that they revealed his suicide by making him address his letter to everyone else rather than himself, but like he talked about how Naho is modest, that one guy is good at soccer, and just meaningless stuff about the different characters. Maybe if I was part of their friend group it would have mattered, or maybe if the characters themselves were interesting it would have mattered, but as it is the letter wasn't sad, it just reminded them that he's dead and now they know it was probably suicide.

So far the only things that I can understand as being potentially interesting are Kakeru's dead mom and the fact that he kills himself later. But those things aren't inherently sad, the mom story was told so dispassionately, it was so matter-of-fact and had nothing serious surrounding it so I don't see why people would be sad about that. Kind of like, that's just more information, the scene itself wasn't set up to evoke any emotion. The scene where they find out that Kakeru committed suicide could have been sad, but so far characters have only had boring small talk so I don't know or care about any of them so seeing them get sad does nothing yet. Maybe once the series decides to start giving personality to the characters I'll be able to come back and watch this and it'll seem more sad, but for now it was just a predictable twist that showed the characters crying. This anime does a lot of showing the characters feeling emotion without evoking any emotion in me. As someone that regularly cries while watching even somewhat mediocre anime, I'm really surprised at how emotional people say this is when I feel nothing but annoyance towards it.

I'm still trying to enjoy each episode though. I set aside my annoyance while I'm watching and only start focusing on it after I finish the episode, besides that I'm trying really hard to get invested in the characters but it makes it so hard to do that when the characters are so flat and don't say or do anything. Words come out but none of it matters to me, it's not important to pay attention to because unless it has something to do with the letters it won't progress the plot and none of it has built up any of their personalities.

I feel like I've stumbled upon an anime that for me does everything wrong, but has a community backing it that thinks it does everything right. My "boring" is other people's "realistic," my "annoyingly passive" is other people's "relatable," my "predictable and dispassionate" is other people's "feels." I'm gonna have to drop it after this episode, clearly this anime was not meant for me. I may read the manga though, I can read through that at a pace that is nearly 4x as fast as the anime goes, which feels a little bit more natural considering how little the dialogue matters so far. I hope everyone that likes this anime enjoys the rest of it though.
YESSS! SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!!!!
Jul 17, 2016 3:39 PM

May 2015
I only wonder why she didn't read the whole letter and find out what's happened in the end? I know this is center of the plot, but still.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 17, 2016 3:48 PM

Apr 2016
I am actually really starting to like this anime. It gets interesting when the drama starts to develop, lol.

I swear, humans are so easily attracted to drama of all sorts.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 17, 2016 3:49 PM

Apr 2016
FrozenRaider said:
I only wonder why she didn't read the whole letter and find out what's happened in the end? I know this is center of the plot, but still.

Anime logic, lol.
"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 17, 2016 3:52 PM
Jul 2016
kalim432 said:
a_nellisa said:
Wait till the saddest chapter of the manga to be adapted, as you might guess— it's Kakeru's POV.

I suppose if that won't make me cry I am a stone heart
I guess u could say that. But that chapter change my perspective alot. Even if you don't cry, the truck will still leave you a mark. On my case, i re-read the chapter for more than 5 times (literally), i still end up crying a river.
Jul 17, 2016 4:02 PM

Oct 2014
This ep in a Nutshell
Jul 17, 2016 4:04 PM
Dec 2015
suddenly i CANT BREATHE
Jul 17, 2016 4:08 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. Poor Naho her message didn't get to Kakeru in time.
Now he is going to start dating Ueda Senpai.

Hearing that letter about Kakeru was so sad. He never said anything to his future self & only said good things about his friends.

Santoryu_XBurnerJul 17, 2016 4:15 PM
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 17, 2016 4:15 PM

Nov 2009
HaiiroTama said:

I agree on how the anime feels. I feel like it's too silent actually, and they keep on prolonging scenes or reactions are...off. The manga has more monologue and gives you more inside view of Naho from the start. It's also just 22 chapters, so it's not hard to read. They're adapting one chapter=one ep which is absolutely slow. And they're rearranging scenes that may alter the effect of the whole episode instead.

I guess they're probably going to have some 2nd season or speed up in the next chapters. ^^

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Jul 17, 2016 4:19 PM
Jul 2016
AnimeSlayer66 said:
FrozenRaider said:

Anime logic, lol.
Uhh, i dont think this a spoiler but as far as i know, Naho didn't read the whole letter because she stays loyal to the date. For example, "Today is September 14, i wonder what would happen today."

If a certain event happen in the future piqued Naho's interest only then she will skip. Naho stated that she follow the dates of the letter so that she won't get confuse with the events later on. I guess you could call that a reason?
Jul 17, 2016 4:21 PM

May 2010
Geez, whenewer I see hearbroken Suwa I want to hug my laptop ;((( The real tragedy happens here!

FelixDied said:
can anyone spoiler it for me please? how is she getting the letteres and why did he commit seppuku

You sure you want me to spoil it for you? Both will be explained in future episodes :P Well, if you really want to I can send you a message, I'd rather not put it here.
Jul 17, 2016 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
This is the best episode so far. Naho being too late and the letter scene was heartbreaking. I want the next episode already!!
Jul 17, 2016 4:26 PM
Apr 2015
I really hope we get to see the whole thing in a single season, i'd hate to wait for a second one.
Jul 17, 2016 4:44 PM

Apr 2016
a_nellisa said:
AnimeSlayer66 said:

Anime logic, lol.
Uhh, i dont think this a spoiler but as far as i know, Naho didn't read the whole letter because she stays loyal to the date. For example, "Today is September 14, i wonder what would happen today."

If a certain event happen in the future piqued Naho's interest only then she will skip. Naho stated that she follow the dates of the letter so that she won't get confuse with the events later on. I guess you could call that a reason?

Ohh, that makes sense. Thanks :)

*Anime character logic (Lol, jk).
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 17, 2016 4:45 PM

Apr 2016
aislingry said:
I really hope we get to see the whole thing in a single season, i'd hate to wait for a second one.

Totally agreed. Everytime I hear season two, I remember Snk/AoT. Lol.
~Einstein
(~.~)

Jul 17, 2016 4:46 PM

Dec 2015
I swear I don't like this female MC. She acts like a fucking idiot. The note said read the eraser and it will change the outcome if she told him her feelings, and she couldn't read a 1 second note because she had to clean up? REALLY? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? What's the point of getting these letters if she's too much of a pussy to do anything anyways. Her future self should know how much of a twat she was back then, so what would make her think she had the balls to ask him out or anything like that -_-.

Also I might add that the ending left a bad taste in my mouth. Its like she said if she could do it all over then basically fuck being with her husband, she would Kakeru and try to save him. I get the saving him part, but we all know she loved him and it seems like her future self is trying to hook her up with him too.

@HaiiroTama

I agree man, this just seems weird to me and awkward for some reason. I will probably just switch to the manga too, but it still doesn't erase for me that I feel what Naho is doing is inherently selfish (future Naho).
CejaraJul 17, 2016 5:04 PM
Jul 17, 2016 4:53 PM

Jul 2015
So far this anime is better than anything that aired last season.
Jul 17, 2016 4:58 PM

Jul 2011
Aw, for once Naho doesn't hesitate to do something and she fails. D:
And Kakeru knows now too. Things are gunna get awkward...
Jul 17, 2016 6:18 PM

Jan 2013
Damn Naho, you're so frustrating. Making it less enjoyable, don't like her character type.
Jul 17, 2016 6:19 PM
Jun 2015
Frick me, I'm already crying and I've heard it will only get worse. I am not prepared for these feels dammit. It makes sense that Kakeru's death wasn't an accident. The past wouldn't have to be changed as much if it was, right? I honestly feel so bad for Naho, but well, shit happens.
Great episode. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Jul 17, 2016 6:28 PM

Feb 2014
HaiiroTama said:

So much agree with you, this episode was still probably the best of the worst so far, at least i found it somewhat enjoyable but the first 2 were soooooooo BORING, I will keep watching it tho because if they actually start to get a good pace (kinda like the second half of this episode) and deepen the characters a little it could still get very good but as of now they are rushing emotional moments while we have very little character out of kakeru (and he is the focus of the story) and 2 of the 6 friends of the group had basically 2 lines in these three episodes
Jul 17, 2016 6:38 PM

Jul 2016
Ugh so many feels :(

Jul 17, 2016 6:40 PM
Nov 2015
Ugh Naho is so cute but I hate her at the same time

Them feels man. Is this actually good or am I just really bad at telling the difference between drama and melodrama?
Jul 17, 2016 7:13 PM
Mar 2013
CC9ers said:
Oh god. That chapter hits the feels like a truck. I actually re-read it two or three times in a row after initially reading it, it was just that good and that powerful. That's the chapter I'm anticipating to see animated (and see everyone's reactions in the episode thread) the most.

ok, i was not ready to be reminded of that chapter like this. i feel the pain all over again.
Jul 17, 2016 7:35 PM

Oct 2011
cried during the letter scene
Jul 17, 2016 7:48 PM

Jul 2009
Man this ep and the last were tough. I'm bothered by !FutureNaho regretting marrying Suwa and wishing she'd been with Kakeru, even though she has a child and Kakeru is dead... Keeping the past and future timelines separated, however, I'm interested in how these characters will handle the rest of their time together; and I hope there's more to it than a simple high school drama.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jul 17, 2016 8:24 PM

Jun 2012
Naho getting NTR'd even tho she is NTR'ing Suwa. This is getting spicy.
Jul 17, 2016 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Oh my....feels trip :/
Sure "i'm going to save Kakeru" what she does? Doesn't say that she loves him...smart.
I think he killed himself because he never wanted to be with that girl.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 17, 2016 8:45 PM
Feb 2015
This adaptation made me relive the manga feels~
Loving the ED song as usual
Jul 17, 2016 8:55 PM

Feb 2015
Amaizing episode, this anime had an incredible animation, and Kakeru's story is getting exciting.
Jul 17, 2016 9:01 PM

Jan 2014
Obviously changing the future cannot be so easy and so brightly. The little changes start taking course one after the other and Naho got overconfident that she can do everything, which obviously is not true if she daydreams and takes changing the future as guaranteed. Now I don't expect this dating to last but I sure as hell expect that this will hit Naho enough to cause changes in how to approach changing the future.
Jul 17, 2016 9:04 PM

May 2013
This anime finally clicked with me this episode. I enjoyed the previous two, but couldn't shake the sense that it felt slightly off, for whatever reason. As such, the events unfolding on-screen always felt a little distance. The show managed to engage me emotionally, even if it was only slightly, for the first time here. I felt invested in the drama unfolding because at this point Naho has been subtly fleshed out just enough to care about, and Kakeru too. I can't say the same about anyone else, but since the the relationship between these two seems to be the source of much of this story's drama and its emotional core, that's pretty ok (though if Suwa is to pray a greater role, he's going to need a bit more characterization).

It's interesting how throughout this episode Naho both comforted herself and pushed herself to action with the mantra "the future can be changed," and yet the end of this episode seems to rebuke that, as the action she took to deliberately change the future seemed to change nothing. Besides that, I'm still baffled as to what the future Naho hopes to achieve with this whole endeavor. She appears happily married to Suwa with a child. Doesn't tampering with the past risk taking all of that away? I'm unsure if her discovery that Kakeru committed suicide (which we see at the end of the episode) is the sole reason she wishes to save him, simply because the potential ramifications Kakeru surviving could have on her happy marriage. Unless she isn't actually happy? Interesting things to consider, anyhow.

On a side note, I appreciate the realism of the character dynamics. Although frustrating, Naho and Kakeru's dance around their very obvious feelings feels true to how people their age with their personalities would act. Naho's struggles in particular feel genuine, simply because she's a passive, non-confrontational person by nature who's been placed in a situation where she needs to be aggressive, something that doesn't come to her easily (which the previous episode highlighted quite well). That she finally summoned the boldness to straight-up tell Kakeru (via a note, yes, but still) that "NO," she wasn't okay with him dating Ueda, and that that boldness didn't seem to ultimately matter, only exacerbates her heartbreak. Her interactions with Kakeru next week should be very interesting.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Jul 17, 2016 9:22 PM

Aug 2012
a_nellisa said:
AnimeSlayer66 said:

Anime logic, lol.

This makes sense to me. I can see myself reading ahead and trying to prevent something that happens a week later instead of taking the day as it comes.

I also feel like the mangaka could have made it so Naho gets a new letter every day or couple days or something.
Jul 17, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2013
really saw the limitations of the series with this episode. and those limitations are called: Naho

she's a fucking idiot. she's the only character i've ever seen whos received knowledge of the future, very specific knowledge at that and has completely disregarded it every time or procrastinated until the last minute. what is her purpose? am i suppose to feel sorry for her? sorry that she's to stupid to read the entire letter? sorry that she's too scared to express her feelings to the dude who likes her? i'm certainly not supposed to be impressed with her, so they must be aiming for sympathy right?

i'll give her an episode to gain some common sense before i have to drop it. shame, thought this was gonna be an amazing ride.
dragonofmarsJul 17, 2016 10:36 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Orange Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Vacu0us - Jul 2, 2016

405 by NoviSun »»
May 23, 8:32 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

383 by patkarunungan »»
May 19, 3:03 AM

Poll: » Orange Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

184 by patkarunungan »»
May 18, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

272 by patkarunungan »»
May 18, 5:14 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

161 by patkarunungan »»
May 13, 3:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.