Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 4, 2016 5:19 PM

Nov 2015
I think I'll drop this. The themes and subjects they are exploring are good, but the execution is so damn boring that it simply doesn't appeal to me. Too bad, because I really liked what they wanted to say; it's just the approach that is too unbearable.

Maybe I'll give it another chance once it is finished.
Feb 4, 2016 6:47 PM
Oct 2012
AllTJAck said:
the fact that the war happened at all is stupid (for the perfect example of a near senseless war, Vietnam).

Vietnam was not "senseless": the North Vietnamese fought for nationalism, the South Vietnamese fought because they didn't want to be absorbed by an authoritative North Vietnamese government, and the US fought because it knew that China/USSR was aiding rebels throughout Southeast Asia (and both of these government had their reasons to act).

So all four parties had legitimate reasons to fight. So which was the stupid one?

Calling war "stupid" glosses over the fact that most people have real reasons to believe what they do, and often these reasons are in conflict with other people and there is no peaceful way to resolve them.

AllTJAck said:
that sounds like a weird system since you are still recruiting citizens that you have no legal rights of recruit over since they are subjects of other sovereign realms. you can recruit them all you want when they become your citizens but it really shouldnt allowed until that is done. i wonder if this can happen again in the modern age if the US decides to open up for mass recruits and drafts again

Any permanent resident can avoid getting drafted if they permanently leave the US. If you think of it this way then it makes perfect sense. If one wants to permanently benefit from living in the US (whether economically or socially), then one should share the burden if a draft becomes necessary. It prevents one from "having their cake and eating it too". I admit I didn't know this fact until this episode, and when I went to check on it at first the logic made no sense, but when I thought more about it I realized that it actually did.

Meta_Yoshi said:
then later went to Vietnam in the war until 1976. I do lack a lot of knowledge about the Vietnam war as a whole, so I should look it up in detail later.

The US withdrew from Vietnam in 1973, South Vietnam managed to survive until 1975, the writer did not do enough research, he thought that since the War lasted until 1975, he should have his character return in 1976. It should have been 1974.
Feb 4, 2016 8:58 PM

Jun 2012
Shout out to Chicago
Feb 4, 2016 10:59 PM

Nov 2012
i liked this episode's mystery, and that they also explore themes like war.
the grandpa perving on chika was really unnecessary though. :p
Feb 4, 2016 11:14 PM

Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

The US withdrew from Vietnam in 1973, South Vietnam managed to survive until 1975, the writer did not do enough research, he thought that since the War lasted until 1975, he should have his character return in 1976. It should have been 1974.

I see now. Thanks for the info. =)
Feb 5, 2016 1:48 AM
Jan 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
AllTJAck said:
the fact that the war happened at all is stupid (for the perfect example of a near senseless war, Vietnam).

Vietnam was not "senseless": the North Vietnamese fought for nationalism, the South Vietnamese fought because they didn't want to be absorbed by an authoritative North Vietnamese government, and the US fought because it knew that China/USSR was aiding rebels throughout Southeast Asia (and both of these government had their reasons to act).

So all four parties had legitimate reasons to fight. So which was the stupid one?

Calling war "stupid" glosses over the fact that most people have real reasons to believe what they do, and often these reasons are in conflict with other people and there is no peaceful way to resolve them.

Again as i have said, the reasons for their action doesnt affect whether or not the whole outcome is an undesireable one, calling it "stupid" gives it a different coonotation grant you but that still doesnt mean that what transgressed wasnt a situation that could have reached a different outcome had the parties not be entreched in their modes of thoughts and stuborn in their actions. calling the whole thing "stupid" doenst meant the people involved in it were stupid or acted stupidly.

Its like the prisoner's dilema, both parties action and reason, sound and rational, ultimately resulted in a sub-optimal outcome for both of them. it doesnt mean that each of their actions were "stupid", but that the final outcome to the situation is "stupid". the two levels of phenomemnon arent automaticly transitive.

like in Vietnam, everybody had a reason to fight, true. but remmember why the war started in the first place. The French refused the idea of an independent Vietnam, not even a commonwealth resulting in that Partition(well everyone else besides Vietnam wanted that Partition), The election that was promised was cancelled because the US knew they couldnt win and then everybody went to war, fighting against the people they were supporting during WW2. in other words, that entire fucking thing happened bcause people couldnt let go of their entrenched thinking and made decisions that were ultimately more destructive then their alternative ( not counting the British involvement that triggered the war before that, against US wishes). now i cant prove that it wouldnt have happened anyway, but god we didnt even try and this is coming from a Northener.

im not saying the people going to war are stupid but war as a concept is a stupid one, those are two different things.

war is diplomacy by force, but that means that its still diplomacy. there are other ways of conducting diplomacy, why use this particularly very wasteful methods.
AllTJAckFeb 5, 2016 2:51 AM
Feb 5, 2016 7:36 AM

Jun 2013
that was okay at best
Feb 5, 2016 4:52 PM

Oct 2011
OMG Vietnam part 0___0
Feb 5, 2016 5:33 PM
Oct 2012
AllTJAck said:
War is diplomacy by force, but that means that its still diplomacy.

Clausewitz was wrong. War "can" be "diplomacy by other means", it doesn't necessarily have to be. It is a remnant of the "Age of Reason" to think that. For Hitler war was not diplomacy, it was a necessary action to create the German ideal that he envisioned. Religious wars, civil war, usurpation wars, any war where the obliteration of the other side is the goal, likewise are not diplomatic, because nothing short of complete and total victory is acceptable.

AllTJAck said:
I'm not saying the people going to war are stupid but war as a concept is a stupid one, those are two different things.

They are not different things. War does not exist outside of the human actions in waging it. So if war is stupid, then it needs to be stupid for everyone who participates in it.

As for Vietnam, if you want to discuss this further, please message me. I don't want to get sidetracked on this thread. I want to circle back to my original point about this episode. If it wanted to do a simplistic "racism is bad" or "war is stupid" episode, then it should address the faults of it's own nation, not another nation's perceived faults. Now, if this had been part of the plot that is different, but the old saying "don't point out the mote in another's eye when you have a beam in yours" is very apropos.
Feb 5, 2016 7:07 PM

Feb 2009
So this anime is less about the music or the competition for Sensei but more about Haruta's puzzle solving?

Feb 5, 2016 8:23 PM

Aug 2009
That was fun. And by fun I mean dark and heartwarming? Cute new character though! She's definitely going to be making future appearances. Also, these kids are really, really good at their instruments. That oboe line at the beginning as Chika was playing scales!? I wish I could ever sound that good. A lot of people wish that!
CourtComposerFeb 6, 2016 11:43 PM
Feb 6, 2016 12:33 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Do people treat the elderly bad in Japan??;; I get that people were hurt/frustrated, but why are they hitting grandpas with pillows and everyone else is hardly raising a finger about it here?;; And then they way they were talking to him sometimes, like what the heck?
The only way that would ever pass if I did that would be if they were actually about to cause me harm in some type of way besides only emotional harm.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 6, 2016 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that has some pretty interesting topics, but during the narration that emphasis is missing that makes it interesting vision of the facts, the context of which it was investigating was intriguing, however, lacked the atmosphere that makes the pleasant mysteries to discover. Drawings and animations, of sufficient quality, the characters this time I did not like much.
Feb 6, 2016 9:29 AM
Jan 2013
What, so I'm the only who really loved Haruta? Sad.
Feb 7, 2016 4:55 AM

Sep 2015
Another episode, another load of info pulled straight out of Haruta's ass.
I'm getting bored of the repetitive formula too. New character introduced to the music club, character must have tragic backstory and terrible life events.

How boorish.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 7, 2016 9:42 AM

Apr 2015
Haruta enters in the grandfather's room and he already knew he probably has amnesia. Then in the end of the episode Haruta acts like a doctor, telling him that he has a specific disease.
The teacher is also a knows it all.
Sensei knew about the vietnam war but in any moment the students explained to him about the grandfather's story.
Feb 7, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2012
guddi said:
What, so I'm the only who really loved Haruta? Sad.

No, you aren't.
He's my fave lol
Feb 7, 2016 5:50 PM

Sep 2013
New characters kinda cute, but hitting her grandfather in his dying bed wtf
Feb 7, 2016 6:14 PM
Oct 2012
Swiggy said:
Do people treat the elderly bad in Japan??;; I get that people were hurt/frustrated, but why are they hitting grandpas with pillows and everyone else is hardly raising a finger about it here?

On average Japan has a bit more respect for the elderly than the West because it is the grandparents who often raise the grandchildren (the parents having to work). That is generalization though, in some ways while the "average" may be higher, the range of treatment is probably greater, so the worse cases in Japan are probably worse than the West.

So you should view the grandchild's actions as affection rather than abuse. Had hitting him with a pillow actually hurt the grandfather or had he actually disliked it, it would not have been tolerated.
Feb 8, 2016 1:51 AM

Jan 2009
Comic_Sans said:
I do like that they're bringing up political issues and taboo subjects... I don't think I've ever seen an anime where they talked about things such as Chinese Americans, Vietnam war, PTSD etc

However

I still wish it could have been just a little, little bit less boring
Consider watching for example Young Black Jack then, it's got Vietnam War and PTSD, too.

This episode Chika just showed how much of a waifu she is :------D Dat cooking and all.

Was an intriguing episode, but Haruta y u so lame tho.
Feb 8, 2016 2:29 AM

Aug 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

Kyruga said:
"War is ruthless, cruel and stupid."

That sort of sums up my distaste for the emotional trolling this episode used. War is not always stupid. I know this is directed at children, but if they want to pretend to be "deep" then they shouldn't resort to platitudes. Was it stupid for the UK to declare war on Nazi Germany when they invaded Poland? Or for the US to fight Imperial Japan? History is complex and if we want to prevent war then we need to acknowledge this instead of relying on cliched pronouncements.

I don't see your point, first was the Nazi Germany who invaded Polony, so they STARTED the war right? for what? For a reason cruel AND stupid, the same things happens with the Japan, with invaded american bases first, if you wanna contest this quote please give a example where someone STARTED a war with a resonate and good reason...
Feb 8, 2016 2:40 PM

Dec 2009
Wow that was a fantastic episode! I love seeing really quick on the uptake characters, rather than dumb ones that have to slowly step by step figure things out to spoon-feed the audience the reasoning process. This anime is not about depicting the reasoning process, it's about solving emotional problems with the guise of a mystery.

Anyone criticizing this episode doesn't understand intelligent deduction. If i knew much about the time period and details relevant, i would have likely deduced a similar hypothesis in as short of time as well. Seeing the elephant trapped within a terrible place, being painted in late 70s, and the sky coloured of the chemical weapons, is a pretty good piece of art and by no means ambiguous. Haruta was delving into a sticky situation of serious emotional burdens, and was exactly why the teacher told them not to dig further into it in attempt to save them of that knowledge. His reasoning that lead him to the answer was spot on.

This show gets way too many unjustified whiners. This is one of the best "problem of the week" anime i've seen in ages. It's got a good style of giving vague clues ant getting you to try guess before Haruta solves it (you got 15 or so mins, where bits of info given to you, to solve it... you gotta be sharp).

Unless of course you don't think when you watch tv; in which case please go back to reality tv. Anime is for people who at least use their brain a bit.

--

To the above statements on wars: nobody starts the war, they're symptoms of condition. It's nigh impossible to trace the inception of any particular war if you consider all stages, from beliefs to combat to economics. That said, the catalyst to hot warfare is usually found within the one who "snaps" first and lashes out... They're usually a victim of something or have a cause with bad methods (Japanese expansion was a peace through power mentality; shut everyone up so they can be friends - doing it physically was a poor method, now they do it via spreading culture).

War is inefficient and terrible cuz everyone goes killing eachother until they finally sit down and do what they could have done in the beginning: talk it out and solve pressing issues. If faction B realized that faction A's problems were desperate enough to go to war over, then faction B should have the wisdom to help faction A to prevent pointless death and waste of time. Every time a faction loses a war, all the deaths add up a large cost for something that could have been bought for much cheaper. However, with obstinate societies, the only way to make them get off their asses and open their eyes is to smack them around until they get it. Just an unfortunate reality of human self-restriction.

Ps: war torrents many emotions, and as a result, produces a lot of profound art.
GenesisAriaFeb 8, 2016 3:05 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Feb 9, 2016 7:15 PM

Feb 2010
Rather than the MC being gay to the adviser, I'm more annoyed about his 'know all' setting. Seriously, it wouldn't hurt if they (animation studio, or the author himself) would show Haru gathering data from some source and not just asspulls of 'Ah that's ....'.
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Feb 9, 2016 7:31 PM
Oct 2012
Kyruga said:
I don't see your point, first was the Nazi Germany who invaded Polony, so they STARTED the war right? for what? For a reason cruel AND stupid, the same things happens with the Japan, with invaded american bases first, if you wanna contest this quote please give a example where someone STARTED a war with a resonate and good reason...

The United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany (as did France). Had neither done that, then Germany would not have gone to war with either country.

Honestly speaking it would have been in both country's interest not to do anything. After all the Soviet Union also invaded Poland, so only declaring war on Germany and ignoring the Soviet's similar aggression, was a bit odd. Since it was always clear that Hitler was going to attack the USSR (as Orwell pointed out, Hitler was nothing if not consistent in his thinking, he wrote about this in Mein Kampf and nothing changed in the subsequent 8 years), both countries had the luxury of sitting back and letting those two country's kill themselves.

Though, I personally, would argue that the UK and France were morally right to start a war with Germany.
Feb 9, 2016 7:39 PM

Dec 2009
Cashdax said:
Rather than the MC being gay to the adviser, I'm more annoyed about his 'know all' setting. Seriously, it wouldn't hurt if they (animation studio, or the author himself) would show Haru gathering data from some source and not just asspulls of 'Ah that's ....'.
Dude, japanese load their skulls with trivia about everything all the damn time. You clearly have limited knowledge of the culture there. It's not like he had to go and study the crap, all the info is just floating around everywhere; you learn it in school or hear it in passing, or learn it from trivia games or variety quiz shows. If you're interested in facts you'll pay attention to it, or not and you'll be like the other chars and yourself who're oblivious. It's not like this one was even hard to guess. If someone was in the US in the 60's/70's and they went poof and are bothered now, and painted a picture like that, drafted into vietnam is pretty much the only thing you could even guess. That's textbook Occam's Razor.

Again, i figure stuff out the same way all the time, because i pay attention to facts (or at least take general concepts from those facts) and remember them even several years later. Not everyone is like that, some people are. Haruta is just one of those people. He's not some magical impossible character with the author's godly research behind him or something. Hence why i like him, as well as that teacher, they're very quick on the uptake. It's so tiresome being around so many slow ignorant people who aren't even fun (dimwitted people in anime are at least fun and lovable, and they don't complain about smart people). If you wanna be clever, use ur brain and put in effort; if you don't wanna be clever, then don't. That's completely okay, just stop getting uptight because you restrict your imagination. There's no reason so many people should be complaining about this.

If you want to watch mystery solving by slow people, then don't watch anime. Pretty much every detective anything in anime/manga that i've seen, has had very sharp and knowledgeable characters who figure it out fast with clever or intuitive deduction that IS NOT shown to the viewer until they disclose it, or someone else asks for a summary of how they figured it out. It'll usually be the same style: presented as if you were in the room watching what was going down.

It's a habit of western tv to show characters rummaging through data and researching everything as if they knew none of it, instead of having gathered an encyclopedia in their head first.
GenesisAriaFeb 9, 2016 8:14 PM

Feb 9, 2016 8:00 PM
Oct 2012
GenesisAria said:
Dude, japanese load their skulls with trivia about everything all the damn time.

This is extremely true, the Japanese love esoteric knowledge. Even a rural bookstore there will be reference books that would be difficult to find even in The Strand. The Japanese fetish for such things is one of the major charm points of Japan.
Feb 9, 2016 8:26 PM

Feb 2010
GenesisAria said:
Cashdax said:
Dude, japanese load their skulls with trivia about everything all the damn time. You clearly have limited knowledge of the culture there. It's not like he had to go and study the crap, all the info is just floating around everywhere; you learn it in school or hear it in passing, or learn it from trivia games or variety quiz shows. If you're interested in facts you'll pay attention to it, or not and you'll be like the other chars and yourself who're oblivious.

Again, i figure stuff out the same way all the time, because i pay attention to facts (or at least take general concepts from those facts) and remember them even several years later. Not everyone is like that, some people are. Haruta is just one of those people. He's not some magical impossible character with the author's godly research behind him or something. Hence why i like him, as well as that teacher, they're very quick on the uptake. It's so tiresome being around so many slow ignorant people who aren't even fun (dumb people are at least fun and lovable in anime, and they don't complain about smart people).

If you wanna watch mystery solving by dumb people, do't watch anime. Pretty much every detective anything in anime or manga that i've seen, has had very sharp and knowledgeable characters who figure it out fast with clever or intuitive deduction that IS NOT shown to the viewer until they disclose it, or someone else asks for a summary of how they figured it out.

It's a habit of western tv to show characters rummaging through data and researching everything as if they knew none of it, instead of having gathered an encyclopedia in their head first.
He's a generic know-all brain MC who suddenly says 'I got it!' similar to how movies depict stereotype programmers with 'I'm in'. Japanese studying habits are irrelevant and also the quiz shows, its a setting assigned to him by the author. Detective Conan, Hyouka (specifically how they confirm it before they open their mouths) shows how the MCs solve and how they got those 'trivias that are floating around' and not from ass-pulls.

An example of the cringe-worthy part on the character that you like was when they were discussing about the rebellion in the US. Maren's explanation could have carried a lot more weight until Haruta suddenly activated his MC power.

If you wanna watch mystery solving by dumb people, do't watch anime
Thanks for making me laugh btw
CashdaxFeb 9, 2016 8:30 PM
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Feb 9, 2016 9:03 PM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
The Japanese fetish for such things is one of the major charm points of Japan.
Hey, japan has a fetish for fetishes.

I'm glad you laughed for no reason. I've seen loads of anime with detective characters, and they usually behave this way without confirming, especially the prideful ones. Just because a few famous ones do it a bit different, doesn't mean that the majority do it that way. And again, culturally speaking, the trivia is mainstay, a lot of watchers may already know what they were talking about, or maybe not and they can go look it up. Point is, in this particular case, the characters involved WERE familiar with it. Who are you to question whether people (characters) are allowed to know things? Maybe the character is just very presumptuous and doesn't check first, but just belts it out without realizing how people might react *cough*.

Uhm you know that the "I'm in" for hackers is very similar to why they don't show hotwiring cars or bomb making on tv, because it's illegal and showing people how to do it. So no, that's not even the same thing.

And besides, this is a show about people and emotional stuff, not detective work, that's just a container, and i've also mentioned that many times on more that one episode. It's like saying Star Trek is about space, no it ain't, it just happens to be in space.

Back to the trivia thing, it also means that this anime serves as another source for trivia. There's loads of anime with trivia inserted. POINT IS, IT'S NOT LAZY WRITING, it was done that way intentionally.

Ps: i like many characters in most anime, especially the cute or smug ones, but smart/wise ones too. It's not very often there's an anime where i dislike some or most chars (i don't watch those anime); I'm not embittered to people.
GenesisAriaFeb 9, 2016 10:55 PM

Feb 10, 2016 4:41 AM

Oct 2008
huh!...a bit good episode with a lot of values, tragic history experiences and PTSD again.
It's getting really annoying to see how Haruto almost knows everything, if not everything it the ability to easily grasp in learning and solving.
LOL its fun to see Chika not being able to easily relate to someone who knows what they're talking....
new chick Gotou Akari is cute.
4/5.

Feb 10, 2016 6:52 AM

Jan 2015
3 people couldn't catch a loli on the run, this just shows the powah of the lolis,
Frickin grandpa looking up Chika-chan's legs
Then our MC as always knows everything (bs), seems like Maren has joined him as well
Sensei telling them to stop investigating those elephant pictures
Narushima looking nice as usual
Akari is kawaii and quite LEWD, the studio tried to make her legs look nice.
Overall it was average, I didn't really like this ep, 2/5
AhoNoGinFeb 10, 2016 6:57 AM
Feb 18, 2016 7:18 AM

Dec 2012
The episode was okay. The story was intriguing and sad. I hope the next episode will be an arc, for this kind of show I prefer when the story are longer.
Feb 25, 2016 12:32 PM

Dec 2012
what a boring episode...
When do we actually get to music & stuff?
Mar 2, 2016 9:43 AM

May 2010
Godammit is Haruta a walking encyclopedia or what. He freaking knows the names of Chicago parks, let alone their artists. I honestly don't like that part of him, seems unrealistic as hell. Maren being knowledgeable still makes sense 'cause he actually stayed in America.

Well, I don't like the grandpa. He's openly perverted, and seems pedo. Poor Akari and her grandma..

Chika high level waifu confirmed! Dat food looked delicious!

Okay. Haruto somehow managed to investigate about Vietnam war, too. I guess, this is not as bad as him knowing the name of some local zoo, so I'll let this one slide.

Chika's one speech at end > Haruto's research. I love her way of doing things.

Good episode.
Mar 30, 2016 10:14 AM

May 2012
Nice episode with quite a hard backstory :|
Feb 23, 2018 5:35 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Again. They mystery, history, and thought into the problem is more interesting then the entire series. This series can't pick a route and it's annoying.
Oct 29, 2018 8:22 PM

May 2012
actually not a bad episode
Oct 1, 2021 11:06 PM

Aug 2021
probably the worst episode so far. genuinely can't stand how everyone in this show seems to be geniuses except Chika; the way the sensei was able to know what the meaning of those pictures could possibly be in mere seconds baffled me. for example. hyouka is fun because the knowledge of the characters are believable and it's not too far-fetched, while this show is the complete opposite.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2016

429 by Nakano_Nin0 »»
Sep 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.