Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 2, 2012 7:58 AM

May 2012
Great episode though sad that his dad died and that Mello is still alive :/

Well I do wonder what's next!
Aug 14, 2012 1:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Any doubt that Light is evil is removed by the way he manipulated his father in order to achieve his objective and felt no remorse at his death. Mr. Yagami was a decent man that got played in the worst way.

Near and Mello are not as interesting as L for sure.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 3, 2012 2:30 PM
Jul 2012
Although since L's death this anime is, let's say, "different", the characters' personalities are still amazingly inetersting. This is one of the best things about this show. I thought Yagami would someday finds out that his son is really Kira and I was curious about his reaction. But this kind of solution in the plot is even better than I expected.

There are two things that I didn't understand in this episode
First, I thought Light heard his father saying Mello's true name. Why couldn't he write it in his DN later - is this because he doesn't know how does Mello look like? But he knows his name now, doesn't he?
Second - when Light showed his father Misa's DN in the hospital - how could he possibly explain this to the others? Isn't that revealing himself as Kira?
Sep 18, 2012 9:25 AM

Jan 2012
Damn, I thought Mello will get killed already. I hate him so much. In any case, it's sad about Light's dad, he was a good man.

Sep 29, 2012 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
I wish L was still alive, he was more competent than anyone alive now haha.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Dec 16, 2012 8:39 PM

Jun 2012
I never really liked lights dad, but it was pretty damn sad to see him die.
Feb 1, 2013 11:43 AM
Jan 2013
I can't tell if Light is actually upset...but it really sucks that Yagami died...and he was happy because he thought Light wasn't Kira, but he is. :(
Feb 17, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
The death of Light's father was obvious. But I always thought Light would end up killing him.
Feb 17, 2013 4:40 PM

Feb 2012
Who actually "owns" Rem's notebook now? If Light relinquished ownership of it and Soichiro died...does Ryuk just "own" it again, or does it just rest in the Human World without an "owner" and Ryuk still attached to it as a Shinigami? Then again, Light was the one who had it on-hand at his father's hospital bed so I guess he took back "ownership" by picking it up again.

I get the impression the three notes are better managed in the manga.

Incidentally, the more I think about it, they should've made the three notes different colors in the anime. Something like making Sidoh's black, Gelus's white, and Rem's red.
CuriousThingFeb 17, 2013 4:47 PM
Apr 24, 2013 4:08 AM

Feb 2013
Why didn't Light wrote down Mello's real name? Even if he doesn't know what he looks like at least he knows his name

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
May 7, 2013 7:10 AM

Jan 2013
I can't believe that the father os Light died....he was a good man.
And how the hell did the Mello escaped?? it was impossible..
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 9, 2013 12:51 AM

Oct 2012
Woah, Light, he's really crying for his father?

AivanK said:
I can't believe that the father os Light died....he was a good man.
And how the hell did the Mello escaped?? it was impossible..

Yeah, poor Soichiro-san, he didn't know the truth..
Well, nothing is impossible XD
"Signature removed"
May 11, 2013 5:43 PM

May 2013
im sorry but the show is declining w/o l
Jul 26, 2013 3:42 PM

Jun 2013
Poor Mr. Yagami. He deserved better because he was such a great guy. And his wife and daughter didin't deserve this, either. Why only the nice people suffer in this show?
Sep 22, 2013 10:33 PM
Feb 2010
hanna000 said:
There are two things that I didn't understand in this episode
First, I thought Light heard his father saying Mello's true name. Why couldn't he write it in his DN later - is this because he doesn't know how does Mello look like? But he knows his name now, doesn't he?

I think Light can't use the real name - if he actually remembered it - because he doesn't know how Mello looks like,and Kira need both (the name & the face) , so it's useless to write only the name,that's why he was trying to get his father to do that because he's the only one who saw Millo's real face

hanna000 said:

Second - when Light showed his father Misa's DN in the hospital - how could he possibly explain this to the others? Isn't that revealing himself as Kira?

mmmm..I don't think it was Misa's Death note , I think it was the original Death note that Ryuk has stolen from the other Shinigami that named "Shidoh " , it's the same note he returned back to that Shinigami in the end of the episode after his father died.
Nov 26, 2013 8:56 AM

Jul 2013
Again, really intense episode... :( and really emotional. I really like DN's "second season" ^^
Dec 12, 2013 10:58 AM

Oct 2011
Such a sad episode T___T I didn't feel sad when L died but Light's father dying is really upsetting. The show won't be the same without him.
Dec 17, 2013 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
^The show has many main characters dieing, or rather many really likeable characters ;-;.

Wow that opening scene broke my heart, seeing Light's sister like that ;-;.
This episode was really emotional, not so much for Light but still. Mello's name was revealed too.
Dec 21, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2013
Light really is a sociopath, his dad was dying and he was trying to figure out a way to use him to kill Mello. He's like "in this situation, its not unnatural to he confused or upset"

Shows you he doesn't have feelings lol
Jan 27, 2014 10:40 PM

Oct 2013
man thats a death no one wanted to see
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 11, 2014 12:16 AM

Sep 2013
wow wtf!

It's all because of Light's plan. Now L and the dad!

Very depressing to see him gone. My predictions were wrong, I thought the Dad was going to know the truth about Light later on. But instead he believed he wasn't Kira.

May 27, 2014 2:59 PM

Feb 2014
8/10
Jul 13, 2014 12:59 PM

Jul 2013
That was a great episode.

Sad that Light's father died though, I half expected him to come back and say "just kidding" lol!

The third shinigami seriously ... looks like a corn on the cob to me! LOL!
Jul 29, 2014 4:22 AM

Dec 2010
Fucking Light, he almost got Mello there.
Sep 23, 2014 5:13 AM

Jan 2014
Mello keeps the show going on as for now.
Light is so deeply obsessed with that goal
in his mind, it's so fun to watch .. *_____*
Oct 10, 2014 4:08 AM

Oct 2013
damn... them was some feels. Can't tell if Light was crying because he was upset his father died or he was crying because he was upset his father didn't write Mello's name before dying.

This episode was confusing as hell, though. Pretty sure I don't even understand how half of the things happened the way they did. I understand they recovered a second death note because Misa gave them hers, but... when the killing continues anyway, aren't they gonna wonder wtf is going on considering "Kira shouldn't have his death note anymore"?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 12, 2014 5:29 PM

Mar 2014
I don't know how Light didn't guess his dad might not be able to write Mello's name. I mean, let's be real.
Mar 23, 2015 4:50 PM

Dec 2014
RIP Soichiro Yagami-san. I think it's pretty clear Light barely cared about his father here and used him, the only favor he did for him to ensuring that he's not "Kira", hence letting him die "happily" but then again it ultimately served his own self-assurance. If anything, he obviously was more concerned about killing Mello.

Even if Soichiro killed Mello, Light was going to kill him after 13 days. Light doesn't mind killing family members or those "close" to him if it comes to it.

Pretty sure Mello survived the blast. But he lost a lot this episode, including his own name. For once Light will not be chasing a name but a face. It'd be handy if he minded placing a mini-camera on Soichiro...

I wanted Shidoh to stay more TBH. I lol'd when he relocated the notebook saying "Whee... plonk."
NozdrefMar 23, 2015 4:55 PM

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 27, 2015 12:01 AM
Nov 2014
Good episode, damn :( light's dad is dead.
Jun 9, 2015 4:28 AM

Sep 2014
All this Mello and Near part of DN is so confusing to me.. Multiple notebooks.. and etc.
Jun 9, 2015 9:48 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 9, 2015 7:10 PM

Apr 2014
collapse_alchemy said:
im sorry but the show is declining w/o l
+1

It's just not as interesting. I mean the show was exciting with the intense dramatic irony of Light being Kira. But even though there's a new antagonist to Light's plans, it just doesn't get me on the edge of my seat because I've been exposed to the irony for so long.

Also it feels like they're downplaying Light as a genius. I mean, I get that when they discovered the missile with the notebook, there really was nothing they could do. But I was really expecting the intelligent Light to come up with a brilliant plan to troll Mello before letting his dad do the exchange.
Aug 16, 2015 2:51 PM
Jan 2015
From Mello's POV, it makes sense he doesn't know if the note really belongs to Kira. There's like three or four Kiras by now. Keeping track of who killed how is a confusion unless you're Light. And he don't have acess to a computer system.

Also, I bet he don't writes Mello's name because "Kira" don't would knew that information. "Kira" never saw Mello.

Man, Near was a non-show in this episode. Makes me wonder what he's doing.
IDontWishToBeAug 16, 2015 3:28 PM
Sep 12, 2015 7:29 AM
Jun 2014
Heneshi said:
Here's some questions I have about this episode:

1. Mello wants to know if the Death Note he has is the one Kira used. Wouldn't the names Kira wrote in it still be there? Do the names mysteriously disappear or am I missing something?

2. Light tells his dad that once the names of the mafia members disappear they're dead, but how does he know that? (Without giving away that he is Kira)

3. Ryuk wrote in the Death Note that if it's ever destroyed, anyone who touched it will die. Well when the building blew up (and I'm assuming that Death Note was destroyed) no one questioned why they were still alive.

I loved how Light just casually pulled the other Death Note out of his jacket while his dad was dying. XD
The Death note wasn't destroyed. How did they find their hideout though?

Sep 30, 2015 2:12 AM
Jul 2015
Hmm. This hasn't been discussed yet. Since Soichoro died after getting the eyes, doesn't that mean he would of died later? What in the episode changed the lifespan cause I thought the lifespan accounted everything except being written in a death note or being killed by a Shirigami.
Oct 4, 2015 3:29 PM

Mar 2010
Ahh I wanted Mellow to die :v Actually I kinda want them all to die lol.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 7, 2015 1:10 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Light is such a douche. His father's dying, but he's more interesting in knowing Mello's name. Intense episode overall.

5/5
Nov 12, 2015 4:12 PM

Nov 2014
So sad, I really like Mr Yagami! ;-( R.I.P
Mar 16, 2016 9:14 AM
Mar 2016
Ok, I'm a bit confused on why did Kira (which was actually Misa posing as kira and was a part of Light's plan) give the Death Note to the police? I mean I could understand it from Light's point of view because it was advantageous to him to have the police to make the eye deal with Ryuk so they can see Mello's real name. But it's just really weird for the police AND kira too, that just out of the blue Kira called the police and offered them HIS death note because the police had lost theirs to Mello? And by accepting his offer, that means that the plocie actually accepted a favor from the man they're desperately trying to catch???
May 31, 2016 3:16 AM

Jul 2014
I was really confused about where that third DN came from, but I got it after reading this topic. I don't know how to feel about this episode, I found it quite confusing and not-that-interesting although all the new characters. I hope the next one is better now that we have these two new detective/rivals and they're already kind of developed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2016 11:25 AM
Jul 2016
The thing that gets me about Light's dad's death is that he was going to die soon anyway. When he took the deal for the shinigami eyes, it halved his remaining time, so then he died, what, maybe 12 hours, or a day later? So even if the stuff hadn't happened he was already destined to die a couple of days later, tops
Jul 29, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2016
Another intense episode, quite emotional as well, fucking sitting speechless during the whole episode, could seriously not get my eyes of it! 8 more episodes left!!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Sep 22, 2016 9:29 PM
Sep 2016
How did the story explain Light revealing second notebook to his dad not causing suspicion? As far as I remembered, nobody in Light's police side doesn't know Light possess more than 1 notebook. Second and third notebook were all hidden.

Light pulling out the second notebook, and nobody questioned it? Did I miss anything?
Nov 8, 2016 7:22 PM

Oct 2011
Tonga said:
How did the story explain Light revealing second notebook to his dad not causing suspicion? As far as I remembered, nobody in Light's police side doesn't know Light possess more than 1 notebook. Second and third notebook were all hidden.

Light pulling out the second notebook, and nobody questioned it? Did I miss anything?

1. I think that "second" notebook was actually the notebook they retrieved back from Mello (or did they already give it back to Sidoh by that point? Can't remember...Too lazy to look it up xP).

2. Either that, or it was Rem's notebook that Light set up to have mailed to the investigative team to use to go after Mello.

3. There was also Misa's notebook that Light was holding on to. Like you said, the investigative team doesn't know about it, so I doubt that was that one that Light pulled out. He'd be really screwed if he did. Though, I suppose that even if he did, and someone questioned it, he could simply say it was the same notebook they used to go after Mello. That's assuming they didn't know where that notebook currently was (which is reasonable, considering all the craziness that they just went through).
TheGenkiGuyNov 8, 2016 7:51 PM
Nov 8, 2016 7:51 PM

Oct 2011
Also those confused about the 3 notebooks and who currently owns what, so on and so forth:

1) Sidoh’s note -> taken by Ryuk -> given to Light by Ryuk -> associated shinigami changed to Rem by Light -> used by Higuchi -> has fake rules (and real ones) ->traded by Light’s Dad with Mello for Sayu's life -> given back to Sidoh after its recovery from Mello/Mafia. (I can’t remember if anyone questions the notebook’s disappearance, because I don’t believe Light tells the rest of the team that he gave the notebook back to Sidoh.)

2) Gelus’s note -> taken by Rem -> given to Misa by Rem -> associated shinigami changed to Ryuk by Light -> buried -> recovered by Misa (upon which Ryuk comes back to human world) -> still in Light/Misa’s possession (It’s technically owned by Misa. Light just keeps it on him to retain his memories. He rips out pages for Misa to use at home.) -> Has no associated shinigami after Light associates Rem’s notebook with Ryuk

3) Rem's note -> picked up by Light after Rem died (unbeknownst to investigative team) -> associated death god changed to Ryuk by Light -> mailed (by “Kira” aka Misa) to investigation team to use (and meet Ryuk and have someone make eye deal) to go after Mello/mafia -> still in investigation team's possession.
Aug 15, 2017 2:48 AM

Nov 2016
Once again this is proof that Light is scum and anyone that has him in their favourite characters list should feel bad
Aug 15, 2017 11:41 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
oh gawd, it seems like stuff mixed together ...

Sep 23, 2017 5:16 PM

May 2014
I actually really like Mello. He's a lot of fun to watch...I'm just sad he wasn't introduced sooner and he better not be dead already!!

The real question is, who won't be dead by the end of the series?

Kind of fucked up that Soichiro died thinking his son was innocent though, and the scene with Light crying was just disturbing. Like, boy, me and you both know that whole display was a mixture of some real good acting skill and a whole lotta frustration that your dad couldn't be a ruthless killing machine like you.

It's fun to see things not going Light's way for once though.
Series is still awesome, but it's just not the same without L -_-

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2017 4:06 PM

Sep 2014
I just rewatched this ep and for some reason I remembered it totally wrong. So I was sort of surprised to see Lights dad die. I expected him to make more use of his shinigami eyes especially after mellow kidnapped his daughter..
Also wow are there many death notes around. I lost track of who actually owns what but what I really wonder - Ryuk said he had 2 death notes from his king. Rem had also 2.And now jealous had 1 making 5 in total?

Sigh its a real shame how trashy death note became after the first half and especially Ls death. For once I think an open end at that point would be better.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 28, 2018 4:29 AM
Aug 2017
the title for this ep 'Father' enough telling me that something will happen to Mr Yagami

anyways...
tch tch tch....

taking advantage of his one n only dad just for his own benefit
worst son
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone find the post time-skip story kind of...bad?

VanVeleca - May 24

38 by VanVeleca »»
3 hours ago

» Opinions on Donald Trump's cameo?

Kafzeth - May 28

31 by GinHachi23 »»
May 30, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

922 by Khan355 »»
May 30, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - May 17, 2007

118 by Trebor367 »»
May 29, 8:46 AM

» Death Note Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Jan 13, 2007

130 by Heayven »»
May 29, 4:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.