Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 24, 4:34 PM

Jul 2015
Everyone feels so much dumber, especially Misa who full on feels like the flanderized version that appears in parodies

While Near was a decent new antagonist, he absolutely does not hold a candle to L

L's dynamic with Light, the whole cat and mouse spiel, was beyond engaging. Literally every single twist and turn no matter how insane had me pulled to the screen. Beyond that, the friendship(?) between them led to an absolute gut wretching feeling once L finds out the truth and sees the monster that is Kira on Light's face.

Near just manages to outplay Light pretty easily all things considered and just beats him the fuck out, which...I mean, yeah, that's the good ending but...all I could think was "Is that it? This is how it ends?" I have not read the manga yet, but I do know it has a different ending...I hope it's more satisfying...

Overall it just feels like a serious dive into trash territory. with every passing episode I just felt like straight up skipping until the end.

Everything just felt so damn boring, Light and everyone else became such idiots and I didn't feel anything about these deaths. It felt like undeserved drama.

The only part that I truly enjoyed was when we see L one last time as Light dies, but only because it tickles to Fujo part in my brain
Read my comic pl0x :D
Rockerella meets Merman
May 24, 5:19 PM
Jun 2021
I completely agree with your sentiments! The post-time-skip arc of Death Note can be quite disappointing, especially when compared to the intense and thrilling cat-and-mouse game between L and Light. It's true that Near is a decent new antagonist, but he lacks the complexity and charisma of L.

I also felt that the characters became less nuanced and more one-dimensional in the second half of the series. Misa, in particular, takes a nosedive into flanderization, becoming a caricature of her former self. The once-intelligent and resourceful Misa is now reduced to making silly mistakes and being oblivious to Light's schemes.

The plot twists and turns in the first half of the series are indeed some of the most memorable moments in anime history. The tension and suspense between L and Light are expertly crafted, making each episode a thrilling ride. In contrast, the post-time-skip arc feels like a letdown, with Near's victory over Light feeling anticlimactic and unengaging.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! The manga does have a different ending, which might be more satisfying. If you ever get around to reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the anime.

And haha, I'm glad you enjoyed the scene where L appears one last time as Light dies! That moment is indeed a great nod to the fans.
May 24, 5:33 PM
Feb 2024
i completely agree. i think once L dies the pacing is really bad, and i didn’t like near that much. he was just really boring and it pissed me off whenever he was like “i’m better than L” i think the characters just kind of get ruined once L dies.
May 24, 5:38 PM

Jul 2015
That's like the most common complaint about Death Note.

May 24, 5:46 PM

Jul 2015
Reply to Piromysl
That's like the most common complaint about Death Note.
@Piromysl Is it? I don't interact much with the fanbase
Most of the complaints I see of the series is people either disliking Light or disliking Misa
Rockerella meets Merman
May 24, 6:07 PM
Jan 2024
Almost everyone thinks it got worse after L's death
May 24, 6:32 PM

Jun 2022
completely agree... it's like Moriarty being captured by Inspector Lestrade instead of Sherlock. it just don't work in my opinion.

A better ending would have been smth like a pre recorded vid by L or some type of after death checkmate where L beat Light even after death.

This would contradict everything Light does as he destroys problems rather than working them out which come back to bite him in the end. I prefer if L knew the entire time.
May 24, 7:09 PM
Apr 2024
Death Note should hv ended with L's death along with Light lauging at L's grave scene from the relight movie
ForeverVirginMay 24, 7:14 PM
May 24, 7:12 PM
Aug 2023
Despite giving the show a 9, I admit the second half definitely isn’t the thrill ride the first half was. The time-skip makes it all happen way faster than it feels like it should have. As for Misa, her character always felt like she was just there to be a double for Light with not much of her own motives so her second half “change” doesn’t really effect me
May 24, 7:56 PM

Oct 2020
I am one of the very few people who actually liked the second part as much as first part. I really liked how Mello and Near kind of worked together. Them being opposite personalities but being successors of L did what L couldn't on his own. Ending was great too which was a part of the second part obviously.
May 24, 8:10 PM

Feb 2016
I don't think it's bad. I do think it is rushed, because the anime skips over a lot of the manga's details.
その目だれの目?
May 24, 8:25 PM
Oct 2009
Agreed. It's been years since I watched this anime but I still remember the drop of my interest in the storyline when L died. I still carry on to finish the series 🥲
May 24, 8:51 PM
Oct 2019
The first half is 9/10 or 10/10.
The second half is 7/10.
That why my score is 8/10 for the whole show.
May 24, 9:06 PM

Dec 2020
Yes, that’s the general consensus.
May 24, 10:32 PM
Nov 2020
I wish the story just ended at episode 25
May 25, 12:17 AM
Dec 2023
Compared to the first half of story, writing of show after l's death was shit. Until l was alive death note was one of my favorite shows but after that writing went so bad I was hardly able to complete it.
May 25, 12:24 AM
Mar 2023
After L death,story itself had became L
May 25, 1:06 AM
Oct 2023
Shinpei106 said:
After L death,story itself had became L

damn, so few words but so true
May 25, 1:08 AM
Jul 2023
as a kira fan the only thing I liked about post L was getting to see light unopposed for a bit. i don't think anyone likes near or mellow. and them defeating kira when L couldn't is a bit aggravating
May 25, 1:35 AM
Dec 2015
The writing drops but its not bad. Still fun.
May 25, 2:03 AM
Mar 2023
When Light defeated L, Light became so reckless.
He probably thought that “I already defeated L nothing can stop me know.” He didn’t defeat L actually. He cheated with manipulating Rem.
Otherwise he couldn’t defeat L. It was more about luck of Light. But Light didn’t think that way. L died and the ego of Light became so big. In the end he didn’t actually lost to Near. He lost to his ego.
Garyyyy1May 25, 2:19 AM
May 25, 4:02 AM

Sep 2022
VanVeleca said:
Everyone feels so much dumber, especially Misa who full on feels like the flanderized version that appears in parodies

While Near was a decent new antagonist, he absolutely does not hold a candle to L

L's dynamic with Light, the whole cat and mouse spiel, was beyond engaging. Literally every single twist and turn no matter how insane had me pulled to the screen. Beyond that, the friendship(?) between them led to an absolute gut wretching feeling once L finds out the truth and sees the monster that is Kira on Light's face.

Near just manages to outplay Light pretty easily all things considered and just beats him the fuck out, which...I mean, yeah, that's the good ending but...all I could think was "Is that it? This is how it ends?" I have not read the manga yet, but I do know it has a different ending...I hope it's more satisfying...

Overall it just feels like a serious dive into trash territory. with every passing episode I just felt like straight up skipping until the end.

Everything just felt so damn boring, Light and everyone else became such idiots and I didn't feel anything about these deaths. It felt like undeserved drama.

The only part that I truly enjoyed was when we see L one last time as Light dies, but only because it tickles to Fujo part in my brain

I also totally agree. I learned in a video that the author of Death Note didn't wanted to drag the manga after L's death, but the editor or the publisher asked him to make it dragged out which make the ending the author didn't wanted in an ideal scenario.
May 25, 7:41 AM
Sep 2020
for me it ended when L dies
May 25, 7:58 AM
Feb 2021
Yeah, they should have just ended the series after L died. If pre-timeskip is a 10, then IMO post-timeskip is a 7 at best.
May 25, 8:55 AM
Nov 2021
I only consider Death Note as being as good as it is because I actively ignore the time-skip. Although the ending scene is really good, L's dynamic with Light is unmatched.

I always think about Death Note being about L and Light. If I see the whole picture I think it would be a mid anime at best.
May 25, 9:16 AM

Feb 2020
It's important to note that the adaptation of death note after L's death is significantly worse than it was before. A lot of the problems in the anime come from that.

To give an idea L's death happens right at the halfway point in the manga in chapter 58 of 108. Meanwhile it happens in episode 25 of 37 in the anime.

The post L content should have had been spread out over an additional 12 or 13 episodes than it got. That's the big reason why the characters and plot beats feel simplified. It's because they indeed are.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

May 25, 9:35 AM

Aug 2020
It lowered in quality for sure but I wouldn’t say it was unwatchable, I just feel like it was predictable how it was going to end and that it was a bit pathetic how light lost a mind battle to kids that weren’t as good as L
May 25, 1:43 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Yes, most people don't like the time skip (At least I know a lot of people who don't like it) and don't really like Near, I myself would have wished that there hadn't been a 2nd part and that L had defeated Light.
May 25, 2:03 PM

Aug 2018
The second half is so bad, I swear...
May 25, 2:27 PM
Feb 2022
this is why I took a hiatus watching it after the first couple of post time skip episodes.

I'm glad I finished it, though, because the last episode is phenomenal.
May 25, 8:49 PM
Sep 2023
ExternalWorld said:
I completely agree with your sentiments! The post-time-skip arc of Death Note can be quite disappointing, especially when compared to the intense and thrilling cat-and-mouse game between L and Light. It's true that Near is a decent new antagonist, but he lacks the complexity and charisma of L.

I also felt that the characters became less nuanced and more one-dimensional in the second half of the series. Misa, in particular, takes a nosedive into flanderization, becoming a caricature of her former self. The once-intelligent and resourceful Misa is now reduced to making silly mistakes and being oblivious to Light's schemes.

The plot twists and turns in the first half of the series are indeed some of the most memorable moments in anime history. The tension and suspense between L and Light are expertly crafted, making each episode a thrilling ride. In contrast, the post-time-skip arc feels like a letdown, with Near's victory over Light feeling anticlimactic and unengaging.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! The manga does have a different ending, which might be more satisfying. If you ever get around to reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares to the anime.

And haha, I'm glad you enjoyed the scene where L appears one last time as Light dies! That moment is indeed a great nod to the fans.

why did you use AI for a MAL comment?
May 25, 9:19 PM

Sep 2014
In general I remember it feeling stupid to have Near solve the Kira case when he was not as interesting, and while L was set up to be extraordinarily smart. The show would have been perfect with either L beating Kira or Kira beating L and it ending. It was almost like the author wanted Kira to beat L since Kira/light is the "main character", but then was like oh that's kind of a bad look. might not wanna let the villain win. and along comes Near lol. Ending was just silly.
May 25, 10:05 PM

Oct 2023
I enjoy it. It’s just different from the pre time skip, so I enjoy them for different reasons
May 26, 1:39 PM

May 2017
I also enjoyed it and its also way shorter as I remember correctly, right? i think its pretty good in showing Lights downfall. During the first half you could always argue between the views of L and Light, but in the last arc he got completely corrupted and did cut off all his bonds which was very interesting for mento watch. But I can understand fhat people do not like if as much as the former arcs.
May 26, 7:27 PM
Feb 2021
VanVeleca said:

Mmm//mm/l&==bbb
May 27, 2:14 AM
Apr 2023
idk i like the opening as a metal enthusiast, as for plot, it ok, but it could've been better
May 27, 3:02 PM

Jul 2017
No i think L's fans just lost interest after L's death but the anime was great before L's death and stayed great after L's death.
May 31, 7:01 PM
Feb 2024
my dad and i watched it and he hated the second part, at first i went wit it but thinking about it more i realized how poor it was in terms of both writing and characters, but more so the latter. near felt like an L carbon copy, misa was swept to the side, i fucking hate time skips in general, the only good part to come out of it was mellos bitchass
afx237v_7Aug 1, 12:14 AM
Jun 1, 7:58 AM

Jul 2015
Finished reading the manga...what the fuck, that ending was even worse???
Rockerella meets Merman
Jun 4, 5:13 PM
Jul 2023
yeah it was a huge step down from before
Jun 13, 1:26 PM
Apr 2022
Every thing special from the series becomes staid and boring. Brings it form a 10 to a 9
Jun 13, 1:28 PM

Aug 2021
Almost everything that happened after L died was bad.

Jun 19, 7:39 AM
Aug 2022
ExternalWorld said:

Bro, why does your post sound like ChatGPT wrote it 💀

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

946 by InClouseau »»
Sep 18, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 3, 2007

142 by vjcecilio »»
Sep 18, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Greatest Wits

tsubagakure - Sep 15

11 by deg »»
Sep 17, 1:13 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jun 7, 2007

100 by kyledluffy »»
Sep 11, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

so_addictive - Jun 30, 2008

167 by kyledluffy »»
Sep 11, 12:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.