Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 3, 2014 2:12 PM

Sep 2013
It was a quite generic start but I liked what I saw. The animation was fairly good, the action as well, the OST wasn't bad either, the characters don't seem to be annoying, the premise and setting sounds interesting but we still have to learn a lot about what's going on. I definitely look forward to more and hope they don't screw this up.

3/5
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
Jul 3, 2014 2:21 PM

Feb 2013
I'm sort of hooked actually.
many wrote bad MC instead I like it: a rookie just out of academy with a vision of war still may I say "dreamy"? he wants to save civilians because that's what they thaught him
I like the animation and the scenery, I thought the ' river' dialogue was nice because it set a difference between two generation in the team of soldiers.
I don't know there are many more things I quite liked. I mean how can you say he learns in a flash the new mecha when he even can't coordinate the time reactions?
let's see how it goes on, maybe it's just my first ep hype

No Blood! No Bone! No Ash!
Jul 3, 2014 2:24 PM

Apr 2013
I wasn't crazy about it and the cgi looked sort of crappy, but at least there's a ground-based mecha show that isn't about tits or brooding. I'll keep watching.
TheAshmanComethJul 3, 2014 4:04 PM
Jul 3, 2014 3:25 PM

Jul 2010
That wasn't bad.
I like the character designs.
Especially the MC, he's pretty hot.

While the pacing wasn't that great, I think it was believable. At least compared to like Captain Earth last season.

I'll be following this, most likely. :)
Jul 3, 2014 3:29 PM

Aug 2012
Angsty teens and overpowered mechas to the rescue!!!!
Besides the animation and CG looking appealing, I still believe this show can be good... Meh, who am I kidding? It will just be angsty teen with super robot winning the war.
Jul 3, 2014 3:41 PM

Jan 2009
I loved this! It has everything i love about mecha, the fight scene was awesome and the characters seem nice for now
Jul 3, 2014 3:47 PM
Nov 2013
"Its too fast!"
"No it's not, you just suck!"
Lol, Mecha pilots should be told that more often.

I thought it was a pretty decent start. Yeah, it's not extraordinary, but it was pretty cool and the action scenes were nice. Damn, those mechs were slow. But Argevollens design was pretty cool.!
Tokimune seems like a punk but I liked Jamie. Also, dat Kotoko opening song.

I'll continue watching it, it could end up to be great or very mediocre. We'll see!
Jul 3, 2014 3:51 PM

Feb 2014
So it seems like good start to a mecha anime even if a bit rushed. Though It does look good no one is going to watch this as its going be overshadowed by Aldnoah.Zero
"All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players"
Shakespeare.
Jul 3, 2014 3:53 PM

Nov 2013
zperson5 said:
So it seems like good start to a mecha anime even if a bit rushed. Though It does look good no one is going to watch this as its going be overshadowed by Aldnoah.Zero
It already is disliked a bit. 6.75 is very harsh after just one episode.
Jul 3, 2014 4:09 PM

Apr 2013
Botato said:

That score is based entirely on the first episode opinion of 300 people. You can't possibly assume that the ratings of 300 people who rate an entire series based off of a single episode are an acceptable way to obtain a general consensus. The simple fact that you're seeing a score doesn't mean that the score means anything.
Jul 3, 2014 4:10 PM

Sep 2013
Botato said:
zperson5 said:

6.75 (~7/10) is still a good score.
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
Jul 3, 2014 4:17 PM

Nov 2013
TheAshmanCometh said:
That score is based entirely on the first episode opinion of 300 people. You can't possibly assume that the ratings of 300 people who rate an entire series based off of a single episode are an acceptable way to obtain a general consensus. The simple fact that you're seeing a score doesn't mean that the score means anything.
I know but given how scores work here on MAL this is very poor. Even Mahou Sensou which now is less than 6.50 iirc started out with way much more than this.

And if we take another example of something that got better over time and ended up getting a high score, they all usually have a 7.3-7.5 -ish score when they start at least (ex: Sidonia). Only exception I noticed was WIXOSS last season.

Well anyway, it's not a good start is all I'm saying. Perhaps things will change after a few episodes, but change can be for better or for worse.

Knight_Artorias said:
6.75 (~7/10) is still a good score.
You did NOT just round a 0.25 difference in score...
But anyway, still too harsh on it imo.
Jul 3, 2014 4:21 PM

May 2009
I liked it. Slow start but it got better when Argevollen showed up. Girls have nice designs (To Love-ru designer).
I remember people shit on MJP after first episode and it turned out great.

To everyone who shit on MC:
Anyone who watched Nagi no Asukara as it aired remembers how Hikari was hated at the beginning. He ended up as most favourite character.
Jul 3, 2014 4:25 PM
Feb 2014
I have no idea why I decided to watch this. I only found out abt it a couple hrs ago. And now here I am... xp...

Anyways, not bad... I'm a bit annoyed that the MC is probably gonna be the almighty hero with his Argevellon because he was a rebellious idiot who clearly defied orders... I just dislike those kinda MCs who think their way is always right and nvr listens to superiors... but meh...

I like the premise and war between nations part somewhat though... it sounds like it can be interesting. Nice to see armies of mecha fighting. The plot seems kinda simple, but I have a feelig it'll get more complex later.

I can't really say much though... honestly, I'd give it only a 6 based on what I've seen so far, but it could be a 7... i have to admit my score tends to be a bit prejudiced when I dont enjoy the animation, and unfortunately, this show's animation didnt quite suit my taste...

Anyways, at the very least, I think it's far better than M3 -_-...
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Jul 3, 2014 4:32 PM
Mar 2013
So much badassery! Yeah I made that up. not a word. Shoot me. Best way to end an episode with an awesome fight.
Jul 3, 2014 4:37 PM

Jan 2012
This is ugly! The background stages are just too peaceful and bright to be a war and battle ground. It just doesn't fit.
Jul 3, 2014 4:40 PM

Apr 2008
Interesting first episode. lmao @ people crying about it already. go back to watching one of the school boy glitter mecha that have aired every season for the last few years.
Jul 3, 2014 4:43 PM
Sep 2009
another mecha with retarded lead. no ty
Jul 3, 2014 5:33 PM

Apr 2013
You guys should make a replacement word for generic because the word generic is getting too generic the more you use it

It was decent, but I did not have any expectations from the beginning
Jul 3, 2014 5:41 PM

May 2012
00:39 Kotomine!!

10:57 dat mecha

15:51 i bet the nice mecha's in it

17:19 yayy

21:30 Raidaa Kikku... i mean Meka Kikku!!

Not bad.
7/10 for this ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 3, 2014 5:44 PM

Aug 2013
zperson5 said:

the design is pretty good, for the mechs at least
Jul 3, 2014 5:47 PM

Aug 2013
There's so much allusion to WWII in this anime.

If you happen to be familiar with the asian side of WWII, you would find this anime quite interesting.

The uniform in the anime is very similar to that of the Eighth Route Army, the Anti-Japanese force in China during WWII. Even the name is the same (Liberation army number 8 in the anime)

The commanders who left could allude to china's somewhat corrupted political system

and of course, we have the great wall.
Jul 3, 2014 5:50 PM

May 2012
You know, I checked the thesaurus and couldn't really find a good word to replace generic. But I did find some for cliched. So I will say it: this show, or more specifically, this first episode was horribly generic, cliched, banal, full of platitudes, lacking in orignality, stale, insipid, drab, mundane, unimaginative, weak, vapid, bland, and incredibly threadbare in new ideas. (My god, I actually expanded my vocabulary today.)

Well at least the animation looks pretty. I think I'll keep watching because it's pretty.
lightXTCJul 3, 2014 5:53 PM
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jul 3, 2014 5:55 PM

Jan 2014
bastek66 said:
I liked it. Slow start but it got better when Argevollen showed up. Girls have nice designs (To Love-ru designer).
I remember people shit on MJP after first episode and it turned out great.

To everyone who shit on MC:
Anyone who watched Nagi no Asukara as it aired remembers how Hikari was hated at the beginning. He ended up as most favourite character.

Hikari was disliked, but in his defence he was a kid! And that left him room to grow up character-wise.

I have not clue how this MC made it past Basic with his attitude... They invest millions of dollars into fighter pilots in reality. I dont see this MC passing his driver's exam, much less a bipedal mecha school.

That said.. theres not much to watch atm.. so ill give it a shot :P
Jul 3, 2014 5:56 PM

Aug 2013
lightXTC said:
You know, I checked the thesaurus and couldn't really find a good word to replace generic. But I did find some for cliched. So I will say it: this show, or more specifically, this first episode was horribly generic, cliched, banal, full of platitudes, lacking in orignality, stale, insipid, drab, mundane, unimaginative, weak, vapid, bland, and incredibly threadbare in new ideas. (My god, I actually expanded my vocabulary today.)

Well at least the animation looks pretty. I think I'll keep watching because it's pretty.

you helped expand my vocab capabilities.
Jul 3, 2014 6:01 PM

Jul 2012
I remember when Sidonia made me into mecha again....And this series just tramples over that thought.

As I'm typing this, I have to say the ending (technically opening) theme in this episode is pretty good.

VanishingKira said:
Barely had my attention.

Seeing as how this is 24 episodes long I was planning on atleast watching 6 episodes before deciding whether or not to drop this but seeing how generic and uninteresting this was lower that to 2-3 more episodes.

This, but I'm gonna try and watch up to the end of the first cour. I'll give it two more episodes and then I'll decide if I'm gonna delete the files and just stream it per week.
Jul 3, 2014 6:24 PM

Mar 2014
MECHAS!!!!! asdf I like the starting scenario of the episode: 2 enemy countries in war,
both having mechas, tanks, soldiers and one BIG WALL!! (all in 20 seconds lol).

Also like the new robot, reminds me good old mechas series that I watched in my life
like Eureka7 and Evangelion, just hopes that has a very good story here.

Time to wait other week!!
Jul 3, 2014 6:53 PM

Aug 2013
It's okay, not very interesting but I'm a sucker for military stuff. The main character's annoying though.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 3, 2014 7:02 PM

Aug 2012
I like it so far. Looks like the setting and background may get fleshed out a bit more than what I've been seeing in mecha anime lately.
Jul 3, 2014 7:18 PM
Jul 2018
This episode is alright. The character designs aren't too bad at all.

Tokimune got a new mecha.
Jul 3, 2014 7:23 PM

Jan 2013
ex_necross said:
The atmosphere and scenery reminded me a lot of 08th MS Team.

I was on the fence about watching this. But, you saying this has me watching it now.
Jul 3, 2014 7:36 PM

Apr 2011
ex_necross said:
Let's play the "How long until someone calls a new mecha generic?" game!
...damnit, already lost. Literally the first comment LMAO. You guys never fail to be pathetically predictable.

The atmosphere and scenery reminded me a lot of 08th MS Team, which anyone who's seen that would tell you that's a GREAT thing. Seems like we finally get another pure military style mecha, no flashy super robots or super powers that have been plaguing mecha for many years now. Of course, this is subject to change, as it's only been 1 episode.

Overall, things are looking solid so far.

First impressions: 8/10, if only because it is so refreshing to see a new army mecha. It's been far too long.

I agree 100% It feels so much like 08th MS Team, and I love it.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Jul 3, 2014 7:55 PM
May 2014
The back story is similar to front mission. This could have pass as a front mission anime have the main robot not appeared at the end.
Jul 3, 2014 8:16 PM

Sep 2011
Guess ill be the odd one out here, I actually quite liked it. I really dig the military setting with a focus on a group of soldiers and the clunky/bulky mechs even if i think their designs look bad. Theres not much to say other than I enjoyed it but I definetly feel like keeping an eye on this one. Reminds me a bit of 08th ms team a bit.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 3, 2014 8:34 PM

Jun 2013
That's right, MC. Break the mold! Break it like no one has ever done before!

But seriously, I agree with everyone about the sound and the scenery; pretty good stuff there. And it's entertaining (so far) at the very least. Let's see where this one goes!
Jul 3, 2014 8:45 PM

Apr 2014
Kerozinn said:
Amarrez said:
well that was generic

MC needs mecha to save the day
MC gets mysterious new mecha
MC masters piloting in about 30 seconds
MC saves the day

hahaha this exactly what i thought. its all too convenient for the MC.

i give this show a few more eps only bc the mech looks nice.

The art was good, but everything else is kinda.. so average.. at least for now..
Looks like we're in for a 2 cour though, so I'm hoping for some good development
Jul 3, 2014 9:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
countfuckula said:
"Its too fast!"
"No it's not, you just suck!"
Lol, Mecha pilots should be told that more often.

LOL that was hilarious, I love their short argument about rhythm.

Hmm that was okay, in terms of grabbing my attention. I love Ohsaka Ryota and he does rock at that type of voice, but maybe he should be given other types of role where he can use some other tone of voice. Although neither identical nor extremely similar to his role as Nagate, I would've liked it better if they cast someone else for Tokimune, just because it's a back to back season with him utilizing almost the same voice as another main role in a mecha series . Just my personal and random comment. I'm sure other people don't care at all or may not have noticed, lol :P I don't hate Tokimune's character either, he reminds me a little of Shinn Asuka, but not in a bad way. Not annoying like Shinn, anyways. And also less competent so far XD

I like the character designs too, it's pretty. I'm not too into mecha, so I don't really care too much about mech designs...but I thought that the ones we've seen so far are kind of...ugly. At first anyways. Then I got used it.
Jul 3, 2014 9:24 PM

Jan 2011
I'll give it a few episodes to see how the characters develop. I got a nostalgic feel from the Krieger mechs they showed in this episode.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 3, 2014 9:46 PM

Jan 2013
24 episodes??!?!
Jul 3, 2014 11:00 PM

Sep 2011
This shares the same score with M3, thats just fucking wrong/

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 3, 2014 11:05 PM

Aug 2013
Well this is quite generic, there's nothing special about this show so far.

But i quite like Argevollen's design though
Jul 3, 2014 11:18 PM

Jan 2014
A good start, I guess.
OP song is pretty good.

and yeah, like someone said, this is way better than M3.
Really liking the Argevollen design.

The sound & scenery are pretty good.
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Jul 3, 2014 11:20 PM

May 2013
Liking it so far, hopefully it delivers.

Also yay for blonde megane bishoujo. My bet: she's part tsun. lol
Jul 3, 2014 11:43 PM

Apr 2013
I will continue for the mechs. That's all.
Jul 4, 2014 12:15 AM
Feb 2014
starlightgundam said:
The back story is similar to front mission. This could have pass as a front mission anime have the main robot not appeared at the end.

^this

the old mecha and weapon design is similar to front mission..

will watch this with 20-25% eps rule..
Jul 4, 2014 12:16 AM

Jun 2013
Ehh, I'll be honest, I only watched this because I saw that Misawa Sachika is singing the closing song.

So there super slow crappy mechas then super op one is introduced k.
Jul 4, 2014 12:22 AM

May 2014
Tokimune is really annoying. This anime not give me the hope :/
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Just watch what you may like.
Don't watch it and don't make bad comment about it.
Every anime wants to be praised.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 4, 2014 12:24 AM

Jun 2014
lightXTC said:

You've just described 90% of all anime shows. To be honest there's only ever 1 or 2 every season that that offer something different and escape the characterizations you so verbosely have described. To be honest I don’t think Argevollen was quite that tepid. It seems to be focused much more on the combat/hardware development side of things, than the character driven narratives that MAL’ers seem to prefer. There’s an audience for that too.
Jul 4, 2014 12:27 AM

Apr 2008
lucidbrandon said:
Ehh, I'll be honest, I only watched this because I saw that Misawa Sachika is singing the closing song.

So there super slow crappy mechas then super op one is introduced k.

boo hoo

welcome to mecha (and anime in general)

"omg there are all these slow crappy mechas then a gundam shows up"

pls go

Beast666 said:
Well this is quite generic, there's nothing special about this show so far.

still not as generic as No Game No Life
byoushinJul 4, 2014 12:31 AM
Jul 4, 2014 12:30 AM
Oct 2010
This is rated so low? I was expecting something awful, but the show is actually interesting so far, and even the CG isn't bad. Like I said in another thread I want the roles of the mechs explained well, especially since movement was emphasized a couple times in the first episode alone (when he tripped, when he tried to run to help the girl, the jumping mecs and when he got into the prototype mech etc). The designs remind me of armoured core, mechwarrior and akito the exiled and the mind controller robot is the Psycommu/NTD system straight out of gundam.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.