Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 13, 2012 5:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This just got really stupid. I simply cannot take the Mello and Near characters seriously. why does it have to be 12 year old looking brats instead of a read FBI detective? Ugh...
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 18, 2012 7:00 AM

Jan 2012
That Mello guy is annoying right from the start. On the other hand, I actually like Near. I hope they manage to save Sayu.

Sep 29, 2012 6:58 AM

Nov 2011
lol, things are getting petty funny. The second generation of L!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 29, 2012 11:06 AM
Jun 2012
i am glad L died, now we have 2 more interesting characters which is mellow and near.

a 3 way fight is just more exciting.
Jan 26, 2013 12:05 PM

Oct 2011
Mello is gay, nothing more to say to him. Near is ok, not very sympathic but at least very intelligent. L was the best opponent so far, but let's see what the final 10 episodes will bring.

Those bastards, how dare the kidnap Sayu?
Jan 29, 2013 12:08 PM

Jan 2013
L 2.0? N? Interesting.
Feb 11, 2013 4:37 PM

May 2009
I'm trying not to be prejudiced against Near... but calling L a loser in his very first line of the anime is really not helping.

"If you can't win the game... if you can't solve the puzzle... you're just another loser."

And I can't help thinking he seems like a littler, different-haired version of L, both in attitude and appearance.

"Nice to meet you, Second L" was cool though.
ilmareFeb 12, 2013 7:54 AM
Apr 20, 2013 8:43 AM
Apr 2013
kidnapping the daughter is just horrible....

dont think they should have gone that far
Apr 23, 2013 3:54 PM

Feb 2013
Marzan said:
This just got really stupid. I simply cannot take the Mello and Near characters seriously. why does it have to be 12 year old looking brats instead of a read FBI detective? Ugh...

My exact thoughts

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
May 7, 2013 3:47 AM

Jan 2013
The sister of Light is very hot now,WOW,very pretty and cute.
And what is the new story about that guy "N"? He seems to be very smart too.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 8, 2013 10:56 PM

Oct 2012
mrzkitty said:
near nor mello can replace L
noone can

Who said that he's gonna replaced?
Even Light can't

vhynz22 said:
Marzan said:

My exact thoughts

Uh I don't know the exact age, but they already over than 18
Light is getting old too, can't wait until he dies, wait too soon?
"Signature removed"
Jul 25, 2013 4:55 AM

Jun 2013
I don't like the new kids. I think they're horribly clichéd cartboard characters. But maybe later they make me like them. I don't know. So far though, they haven't been appealing.
Oct 12, 2013 11:58 AM
Sep 2013
I miss L a lot:(... don`t like this near guy at all(such a cliched character). well, at least mello is an okay character. The sayu kidnapping thing is very interesting, it can only get better from here:)
Nov 26, 2013 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Light is in deep shit again, after all these 5 years of being a God, lol. Honestly I don't know why people are hating on DN's "second season", it's just as good as it was with L. To be honest L vs Kira was getting a little boring so I'm happy they decided to refresh this series. I think everyone who was watching just for suspense and mystery will enjoy it, if you watched just because your panties got wet everytime L said something then... sayonara.
Dec 15, 2013 4:37 PM

Jan 2013
I'm sorry but I don't find N/Near to be a disappointment yet. Quite interesting development.

So we have Light as L2 and Kira, Misa as Kira2. Mello as big bad #1 and Nero as N the actual L2. But both Mello and N enemies of both Kira and Light as L2.

I hope the daughter will be saved... prty please Light don't kill your sister ;-;.

(Edit: I misspelled Near's name xD)
ao_no_exoDec 17, 2013 2:21 AM
Jan 26, 2014 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
STOP TRYING TO BE L. AND WHY IS LIGHT SO STUPID NOW?! BE MORE BADASS LIKE USUAL!! Misa should just stay as she is (○゜ε^○)
Jan 27, 2014 9:51 PM

Oct 2013
shmeh
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 22, 2014 12:01 AM

Jun 2014
I may have L withdrawals. Oh how I longed for L to win and just say "nanana-booboo" in Light's dumb evil unkawaii face. I want this all to blow up in Light's face!!

I miss L a lot and without him, I don't find myself with the drive to marathon this like I did all those other eps. L was so mysterious yet mature and oddly enough sexy in a weird kind of holding-his-flip-phone-all-funny kind of way.

Can we get a Death Note with an alternative ending where L wins because clearly if Rem didn't do that I don't think L would have died. Well just yet at least. Cheater.

UGH I'M SO ANGRY WHYYYYYYYYYY

I don't mind Near, I think, but I don't think I really like Mello.
Jun 22, 2014 6:51 AM

Nov 2013
kokodoki said:
I may have L withdrawals. Oh how I longed for L to win and just say "nanana-booboo" in Light's dumb evil unkawaii face. I want this all to blow up in Light's face!!

I miss L a lot and without him, I don't find myself with the drive to marathon this like I did all those other eps. L was so mysterious yet mature and oddly enough sexy in a weird kind of holding-his-flip-phone-all-funny kind of way.

Can we get a Death Note with an alternative ending where L wins because clearly if Rem didn't do that I don't think L would have died. Well just yet at least. Cheater.

UGH I'M SO ANGRY WHYYYYYYYYYY

I don't mind Near, I think, but I don't think I really like Mello.

Watch the
Jul 6, 2014 1:08 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, Mello and Near - the two little L's, how interesting, both act like him a lot only one went to the dark side lol.
Jul 12, 2014 5:21 AM

Dec 2010
I love this episode, it markts the beginning of my favorite part of DN.

Mello and Near owned Light so bad with just their introduction. Maybe he's gotten a bit rusty in the last 3 years, but the impression is still so strong.
Jul 12, 2014 9:50 AM

Nov 2013
Meritas said:
Mello and Near owned Light so bad with just their introduction. Maybe he's gotten a bit rusty in the last 3 years, but the impression is still so strong.
It was 6 years but yes, not only that but he also got even more cocky and arrogant because he beat L and underestimated them.
Sep 19, 2014 3:32 AM

Jan 2014
Cool. Near and Melo. Like this :)
Sep 23, 2014 2:05 PM

Mar 2014
Noooo, thank you. The story feels like it's dead but they're desperately trying to keep it alive. I don't feel interested to watch anymore, but I made it this far... I might as well keep going. Bleck. It seems like a completely different show from before.

ETA: Also, when did Light get so stupid? He seems to be making a ton of mistakes. Like, come on.
Sep 25, 2014 10:59 AM

Nov 2013
cleesuh said:
ETA: Also, when did Light get so stupid? He seems to be making a ton of mistakes. Like, come on.
That's because he gained a huge ego after defeating L. Also he's had it easy for 6 whole years.
Oct 9, 2014 11:30 PM

Oct 2013
Replacing L with an L clone was a bad idea on the writer's part. Mello is already fucking annoying, too.

That said, cool episode.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 21, 2014 12:48 AM

Sep 2014
I thought Near was a chick cuz of the voice, lol. (Well a female did voice him so...)

And can't they just produce a fake death note and hand it over to Mello's gang?
Mar 16, 2015 7:38 PM
Jan 2015
N is so cool
Mar 22, 2015 7:06 PM

Dec 2014
Yeah, L was definitely keeping this interesting being entertaining and most intelligent; and noone including myself would want him dead at until the end but there's no point in being nuts about that. I like Mello and Near already, Light definitely feels threatened by multiple fronts this time after five years of his reign. Mello plays it dirty like him and Near made him sound dumb in his introduction. While I like Mello slightly more because of that, Near seems to be more capable of being L's successor since he indeed is like L's clone by means of calm and composed personality, appearance, methods and even habits. Meanwhile Mello became someone in "dark side" seeking Kira's power for himself and challenging Light therefore, but most likely avenging L is amongst his motivations.

I felt a little sorry for Matsuda there, lol.

But I must also say despite both being guys; Mello looking like woman and Near having female voice is rather awkward.
NozdrefMar 22, 2015 8:06 PM

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Apr 26, 2015 6:02 AM
Nov 2014
L >>> Elephant shit >>>>> Gilgamesh >>>>> Near

OT : Not a bad episode, first half was slow but the second half after Sayu got kidnapped was GREAT.
Jun 7, 2015 9:38 AM

Jul 2014
In-show spelling: Rally Connors

Audio: Larry Connors

Okay then.

4/5
Jun 8, 2015 1:31 PM

Sep 2014
Doesn't look good for Light..
Aug 16, 2015 9:53 AM
Jan 2015
N/Near seems to actually sleep, unlike L. I don't understand why people find him so weird though. The guy who eats tons of sweets and don't get fat and justifies it with "brain" is a lot weirder.

He and Mello seem to share a shounen rivalry right there. One is hot-blooded, and the other is cold.

So, seems like Mello takes a rough approach whiles N acts more like L;interesting.

The mafia....You know what they say: to hunt scum, use scum.

It took four years until they could reach the same point as L? Wow.

I don't think taking L's place and investigating Kira sounds so smart now, heh, Light? That's the funny thing about being a criminal: if you keep commting crimes, people will keep hunting you, and one day...You're fucked.
Sep 17, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah, this is disappointing.

Neither Mello nor Near are appealing in any way so far - Mello is just a brat, and Near is L if you took away everything interesting about him. Maybe they'll be a bit more likable later on, I don't know.

Sayu though... 0///0
dugSep 17, 2015 12:18 PM
Oct 4, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2010
It feels like a four way.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 7, 2015 1:07 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
New characters that don't impress, even when not compared to L. Do like the 5 year time-leap.

4/5
Nov 12, 2015 8:38 AM

Nov 2014
I actually am really interested in this new arc. Near is really cute, Mello seems bratty.
May 2, 2016 6:30 AM

Aug 2015
Without L it's doesn't make any sens... This anime lost it's magic :(
Jul 29, 2016 3:10 PM

Jan 2016
N.. uhuhuhu thats funny... man this is exciting!! too the next episode!!
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Aug 15, 2017 11:22 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
i would have prefered it ended before. this is just beeing streched

Sep 17, 2017 10:12 AM
Jun 2013
The time skip was a bad idea imo.
How does Mello and Near automatically come to the conclusion that Kira killed the Japanese director? It's not known to the public that Kira can kill in ways outside of a heart attack right? All they know is the book can kill people, not the rules and guidelines.

Near is not going to be a well-received character if his first line is calling L a loser.
Sep 23, 2017 4:06 PM

May 2014
Well a lot of time passed by, that's for sure!
L's loss can really be felt though, especially since Near just seems like a rehash without the personality and cute quirks. Mello's pretty interesting though- I hope he shows up a bit more...his design is cool too.

Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if Light does kill his sister or even his dad...or maybe both of them if he's feeling particularly adventurous.

Ending was cool though...Light's realized that he's in deep. L might be dead, but that chain is still there even after his death and he ain't getting out of this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2017 5:29 PM
Jul 2017
Not sure why but I feel plot armor in play due to Mello and Near’s alleafencss. It’s quite literally if the writer took half of L’s trusts and mannerism and put them in one, added some extra traits and repeated either the other. Even in terms of appearance! Though I guess it is to keep Light on his feet...
Oct 5, 2017 5:31 PM
Jul 2017
animeguy17 said:
The time skip was a bad idea imo.
How does Mello and Near automatically come to the conclusion that Kira killed the Japanese director? It's not known to the public that Kira can kill in ways outside of a heart attack right? All they know is the book can kill people, not the rules and guidelines.

Near is not going to be a well-received character if his first line is calling L a loser.

I concur. Already I generally do not like Near or Mellow, they’re just like Nier Automata’s Adam and Eve just with well half of L’s traits and mannerisms, but act as plot armor. I want them to Duke of quickly...
Jan 28, 2018 3:29 AM
Aug 2017
diamond9393anda said:

And right now I'm sticking with the series because I wanna see Light getting what he deserves [a painful and lame and lonely death like he gave L >_< ].----- I don't know about the ending, I'm just hoping this is how it's gonna end.

quoting this for the same reason :)
Oct 8, 2018 5:07 PM

Aug 2014
ech I don't like the idea of some autistic kid and psycho kid being enemies of Light/Kira...

the plot went dead
and it even pisses me more that without any reason both kids know almost everything
it is even worse than when L started investigation and knew where and who Kira might be after such short time... this rly sucks
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Nov 29, 2018 5:29 PM

Aug 2007
Matsuda hitting on Sayu was goofy.
He reminds me of Adachi in the beginning of P4 so much.

Feb 8, 2019 1:52 AM

Mar 2017
Mello is such a Brat, but I really like Near.

After so much cockiness it was great to see Light get taken down a notch.
Feb 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Feb 2019
Oof, the pacing really picked up that episode. But I can't enjoy watching Light kill everyone when there's no L around :(
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 4, 2019 3:42 AM

Dec 2007
my only disappointing from this arc is that u get the feeling that whole this part is just the end of light, i mean, how much light went wrong in this episode and it's whole over it, just to annoying, in the manga it's not even close to feel like it.
second, near and melo really are not good as L at all and don't even start tu be his substitute...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 3, 2007

140 by _Fishy_ »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

IIronnick - Dec 30, 2007

236 by N_Erwann »»
Yesterday, 9:38 AM

» What detectives from other series do you think could solve the Kira case?

TheBlockernator - Jun 5

37 by chris6349 »»
Yesterday, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

sugarplumfairy - Sep 5, 2008

129 by N_Erwann »»
Jun 6, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stars4evr09 - Jun 26, 2008

215 by N_Erwann »»
Jun 5, 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.