Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2014 7:56 PM

Oct 2011
Nostalgia

I wonder how many episodes this will have? Maybe 45 to 60 range?
Apr 7, 2014 9:20 PM

Aug 2012
oh man so nostalgic
Apr 7, 2014 11:24 PM

May 2013
Ferolex said:
So, any clue as to who might be subbing it? I don't even like DBZ subbed (although original dbz dub is the worst thing ever... hence why I prefer DBZ Kai by a mile) but I really want to see this.

Bro, original DBZ dubbed is awesome. Don't hate.

Apr 7, 2014 11:36 PM

May 2013
I am so happy I started watching DBZ Kai (2014 version). So nostalgic. I'm going to watch/rewatch all of DB Kai so I could be "caught up" at where we are. I love DBZ and I'm glad they are redoing Buu saga (I don't even remember all of it) lol. I don't even think I watched all of it growing up. I'm glad I have the great opportunity to watch this again. I'm older now so I will definitely understand everything better. I'll probably rewatch old DBZ again soon. But for now I'll watch/rewatch Kai from the beginning and get "caught up" to where we're at with the Buu saga. I'm very happy.

Apr 7, 2014 11:41 PM

May 2013
Plus, I really remember this stuff with Saiyaman. I watched this in the summer of 2002. Takes me way, back. This is amazing. 5/5

Apr 7, 2014 11:55 PM

Jul 2012
Awww yeah nostalgia trip!!

This is my third time watching this arc and its still amazing and hilarious. This goes straight to my faves of the season.
Apr 8, 2014 2:14 AM

Aug 2013
gizmokid2122 said:
Ferolex said:
So, any clue as to who might be subbing it? I don't even like DBZ subbed (although original dbz dub is the worst thing ever... hence why I prefer DBZ Kai by a mile) but I really want to see this.

Bro, original DBZ dubbed is awesome. Don't hate.

You can't make me think otherwise... there is nothing you can say to make me think that that thing is anywhere near as good as Kai's dub... just Goku going super saiyan in the original compared to Kai is... no... hell no. "I... woooon't let youuu geettt aawaaayyyy with this" sounded so fucking ridiculous... the terrible dialogue... horrible acting.... it's just beyond me that anyone can think it's better... throw in Bruce Faulconer's music and that makes it even worse.
Apr 8, 2014 3:21 AM

Oct 2012
Man. It's very long time when i last watching this. :O
Anyway the OP and ED is pretty good in my opinion.
Apr 8, 2014 4:39 AM

May 2013
I liked this episode tough what bothers me is Gohan's voice which Toei Animation should make it lower because he is already a teenager and resembles to Goku's voice but meh.

I love how naive he was in this episode and how Videl was so suspicious about him.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 8, 2014 6:51 AM

Dec 2011
Nice but they skip overworld tournament Goku vs Pikkon
Apr 8, 2014 9:18 AM

Jul 2013
I love it the kai is now continuing because DBZ was my childhood practically I can't count the times I've rewatched it...but dafuq is up with Gohan's voice
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss
Apr 8, 2014 10:36 AM

Dec 2012
Hop on this Funimation.
Apr 8, 2014 12:21 PM

Feb 2008
kaitonic said:
Nice but they skip overworld tournament Goku vs Pikkon

The whole Other World tournament is filler and Kai is DBZ without fillers.
Apr 8, 2014 12:31 PM

May 2013
It's been so long since I've watched Dragon Ball, this is great. Since this is without fillers that Dragon Ball Z had, I think I might enjoy this more since I won't have to wait as long for whatever parts.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Apr 8, 2014 12:56 PM

May 2012
Do I need to watch prequels before watching this ?
Apr 8, 2014 9:44 PM

Apr 2013
-Zeaos said:
Shitty quality.
welcome to 90's cartoon you dweeb
Apr 9, 2014 3:14 AM

Feb 2014
That baseball game was hilarious. I wish that there would be more of this kinda stuff. And it always cracks me up when people talk about their grand savior, Mister Satan. ;D

2 bad that Goku and Piccolo in driving school was most likely a filler and so they won't air it (can't actually remember when exactly it took place). That one episode is pure comedy gold.
Just sit back, and let your tears do the talking as I save you.
Apr 9, 2014 7:25 AM

Apr 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Storm101 said:
OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Haof_-Rzc

Vastly exceeded my expectations.
Wow the opening completely spoils (reveals) everything for new viewers.

Dragon Ball is... well, old. There are millions of images and DB videos around the internet... New viewers are already spoiled, so whatever.
Apr 9, 2014 7:41 AM

Aug 2011
Sourire said:
-Zeaos said:
Shitty quality.

Thanks, I have already been there, and I meant it as a disappointment I thought they will improve it.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Apr 9, 2014 8:28 AM

Jun 2009
-Zeaos said:
Sourire said:
-Zeaos said:
Shitty quality.

Thanks, I have already been there, and I meant it as a disappointment I thought they will improve it.

Did you want the shiny quality from the Bardock OVAs?
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Apr 9, 2014 10:19 AM

Apr 2007
-Zeaos said:
Sourire said:
-Zeaos said:
Shitty quality.

You're still saying that after already watching the first Kai series?
Apr 9, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2007
Yo this was awesome. I have no complaints whatsoever I'm gonna enjoy this to the max. Slice of life Dbz is awesome. Oh the nostalgia <3
Apr 9, 2014 5:41 PM

Jan 2009
im glad Hatsuyuki pick this one up, great first episode so much feels
Apr 9, 2014 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
BrokenKatana said:
That baseball game was hilarious. I wish that there would be more of this kinda stuff. And it always cracks me up when people talk about their grand savior, Mister Satan. ;D

^ Fave part (besides everything else)
Apr 9, 2014 7:51 PM

Aug 2013
Linkark07 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Well, dunno about the US but the original DBZ opening for Latin America completely spoiled Super Saiyan Goku or Vegeta joining the Z Warriors, or Trunks´s appearance. From the first episode.
You are talking about Cha La Head Cha La. True but the entire sagas were not spoiled. You saw Goku turn Super Saiyan but you didn't see him fighting Frieza.

Monochrome said:
The Majin Buu arc is the first in all of Dragon Ball that I completely watched, so I'm really excited for this >_< Though I never watched the Saiyaman stuff so I'll have to wait a few episodes for the full nostalgia fun

DrGeroCreation said:
Storm101 said:
OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Haof_-Rzc

Vastly exceeded my expectations.
I was a little surprised by how much they spoiled too. I guess they don't plan to change the video as the series goes on like in the first part of Kai. This series probably won't be even half it's length so can't really blame them for being lazy.
I guess so too, they will most likely keep this opening for the entire saga.
Apr 10, 2014 7:45 AM

Dec 2012
For once I wouldn't have mind the filler. The Other World stuff is awesome. But at least Great Saiyaman arc won't be so long this time, it's pretty fun but in short doses. Can't wait to see Videl getting close with Gohan again.

-Zeaos said:
Sourire said:
-Zeaos said:
Shitty quality.

Yes, you have been spoiled by Madhouse. But this is still not a remake.
Apr 10, 2014 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
thepath said:
Do I need to watch prequels before watching this ?

Yeah you will want to watch the first series of Dragon Ball Kai :-) http://myanimelist.net/anime/6033/Dragon_Ball_Kai
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss
Apr 11, 2014 8:35 AM

Mar 2014
Thank god they skipped the othe Other World Tournament saga... Btw, I have already read the whole manga, so it doesn't bother me, but couldn't the OP be less spoilerific?
Apr 11, 2014 4:38 PM

Jun 2012
NeigeNoire said:
Thank god they skipped the othe Other World Tournament saga... Btw, I have already read the whole manga, so it doesn't bother me, but couldn't the OP be less spoilerific?

Everyone and their mom has seen DBZ buu saga, but I still felt weird that they showed everything that was going to happen from fusion to kid buu saga in the OP. That's kind of spoilerish to people who, surprisingly, never saw the buu saga. And yeah, never was a fan of the Other World Tournament saga, there was waaay to much filler between this beginning of the sayain man saga and the world tournament/babidi saga, so I'm glad that's getting cut off.
Apr 13, 2014 9:09 AM
Dec 2012
Just watched this episode, is there any season before I should watch before this season?
Apr 13, 2014 12:54 PM

Dec 2007
Nnngh. Glorious 90's animation. The Buu Saga is actually my favorite arc, so I'm pretty excited for this.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Apr 13, 2014 1:08 PM

Aug 2013
OngPQ said:
Just watched this episode, is there any season before I should watch before this season?
Yeah you should watch saiyan saga, Namek saga, Frieza saga, Android saga and Cell saga before you watch the Buu saga. This episode is basically episode 99 of Dragon Ball Kai, you should watch the previous 98 episodes.
Apr 15, 2014 8:41 AM

Mar 2014
The very 1st anime i have ever watched and havent for about 5-6 years.Thrilled.

I will never forget all those times when i was 6-7 and was trying to tranform into Super Saiyan.

Oh, wait....... I still do.
Everybody has the right to have his own opinion on something.And you do have the right to disagree with them.But that doesnt give you the right to impose your opinion on others, even though you do have the right to think you are fucking awesome.
Apr 17, 2014 1:53 AM
Dec 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
OngPQ said:
Yeah you should watch saiyan saga, Namek saga, Frieza saga, Android saga and Cell saga before you watch the Buu saga. This episode is basically episode 99 of Dragon Ball Kai, you should watch the previous 98 episodes.

Thanks will watch when Im free
Apr 20, 2014 1:00 PM

Aug 2013
OngPQ said:
DrGeroCreation said:
OngPQ said:

Thanks will watch when Im free
Your welcome.
May 1, 2014 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
What a nostalgic 1st episode! This is the only picture that describes it:

http://imgur.com/utMF1Vv
Jul 6, 2014 10:13 PM
Jul 2014
Never watched the Z or Kai series(only a few peeks here and there), only the original.The 90s animation doesnt really affect me that much, so it looks fine to me. Tbh, this episode was hilarious. Gohan's attempts to conceal his identity cracked a few laughs out of me. Will watch more.
Jul 10, 2014 1:11 PM

Aug 2009
Man, I had completely forgotten how hilarious it was to see Gohan trying so hard to fit in without attracting any attention... and failing miserably.

Even if I have already watched the Buu arc a bazillion times on its original format, I think this is going to be fun anyway.
"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

-- Rincewind gives a speech on politics. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
Nov 2, 2015 8:25 PM
Dec 2012
xfero said:
Pretty cool, might re-watch DB Kai one day subbed... I like the dub, but I hate waiting for new content to be dubbed, it sucks...

as I said before, original DBZ dub sucks ass though... terrible dialogue, atrocious voice acting and the Bruce Faulconer music is one of the worst things to happen to the show... it's amazing how much Funimation improved over the years and people don't credit them enough for the great job they did on Kai...

Gohan's original voice in the dub makes me want to strangle him...

I agree with all of this.
Jan 15, 2017 10:59 PM

Dec 2009
[English Dub] 6/10

Great Better Voice Acting as expected obviously. I also like the more accurate dialogue to the manga changing each character a fair amount. It's fun seeing this arc for a 6th time (1st time Kai) but it's too fast paced and rushed which is a little disappointing.

What I'm disappointed the most about was the debut of Great Saiyaman with the thugs, in how they rushed the moment where he slowly gets pissed + the horrible OST which IMO ruined that scene. I prefer the original FUNimation Directing/OST of that scene but, oh well.
Sep 28, 2019 8:35 AM
Nov 2013
Not gonna lie... I'd watch an entire series of Gohan just trying to fit in at school...
Oct 12, 2019 9:15 PM

May 2012
Nicely split to be honest with the 7 year difference it sure makes it nice that they separated it! Like the arc where Gohan goes to school, looking forward to see what they've cut here to still keep true to the story and improve the pacing!
Aug 30, 2020 2:23 PM

Dec 2007
they didn't exaggerated with the spoilers at all, they should'v also bring in the last change of the genki dama.
the song was nice, but i prefer We Gotta Power of dbz or even they would'v sticked to dragon soul pattern...

i actually don't like at all gohan adult, or his design, i prefer him when he was a kid, or even saybamen, and i always liked the addition of vide to the series.

this kind of slice-of-life episodes in dbz style are always nice.

but what with the spoilers in the eyecatch? the fusions are more than 10 episodes for now...

the ending theme was actually better, though the animation is really taking slow.
Jan 10, 2021 11:10 AM

Jan 2013
Ugh, why even make a Kai version if you're going to go back to 16:9 and "glorious 1080p"
Therefore cropping out scenes, removing detail from the scenes itself and just looks bad.

They could've just stuck with the same thing they did in the previous Kai prequel, no idea why they switched.
Apr 21, 2021 11:54 AM

Apr 2020
I watched Kai a while back and didn't even know this part of Kai existed. I just thought they remade it without including the Buu saga.

It's Dragon Ball and of course it starts with probably the cringiest chapter of the whole series: The Great Saiyaman. Although it just makes me laugh now, instead of cringe. I still hope it's over soon though, so we can get straight into the "real" action.

Mar 3, 2022 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
Well, I guess it didn't take too long for people to get suspicious of Gohan lol.
Aug 23, 2022 9:55 AM

Nov 2017
Gohan's grown up now, starting high school!~
Sep 19, 2023 8:47 AM

Nov 2012
finally, a bearable gohan voice
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Nov 27, 2023 11:52 AM

Jun 2011
Decent enough episode. Had never watched the original Buu saga before (have read the manga though), so this should be interesting. I don't expect it to be as good as the previous sagas, but I do like Videl.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 61 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 27, 2015

27 by wildhood »»
Mar 27, 5:57 AM

» Videl Flying

Rijupalika - Jul 8, 2022

11 by Tarekchahattou »»
Dec 4, 2023 9:35 PM

» Why does MAL have 61 when it's 69?

ThatOneGalXenora - May 4, 2018

20 by Alexioos95 »»
Dec 2, 2023 4:42 AM

» Why the hate for Kai?

xfero - Apr 12, 2014

28 by Tarekchahattou »»
Nov 2, 2023 7:40 PM

» Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball Kai? Which do you think is best and why?

EmperorDemonGava - Apr 23, 2015

20 by Biisoo »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.