Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball Kai? Which do you think is best and why?

New
Apr 23, 2015 11:20 PM

Nov 2011
I've read through the Dragon Ball manga but lately I've decided to start watching Dragon Ball. Now with Dragon Ball Z the anime suffered much from an overload on filler since it aired too close to the manga which is the caus for many of the complaints like the fights and powering up being drug out way too much. That said with Dragon Ball so far the filler or extra content seems to actually make itself welcome maybe even improving it over its manga counterpart. Now I've never seen Dragon Ball Kai which fixes the mentioned problems with DBZ but I still have a feeling I'd like Dragon Ball more because its funnier, the side characters play a bigger part, and its more Kong fu type action.
Apr 23, 2015 11:33 PM

Feb 2015
Kai is just remake of Z, and Dragon Ball Z is a sequel of Dragon Ball. What to compare? It's just the same.
Apr 23, 2015 11:36 PM

Mar 2015
I haven't seen Kai and most likely won't, so I will only get to choose between Dragon Ball and DBZ.
Between the two, I definitely enjoyed Dragon Ball a lot more. It was also my very first anime, and it was just really funny and enjoyable to watch, nothing is really serious.(not until around Piccolo arc anyways, shit got real.) I also liked the fact that the characters get a lot of focus and development throughout the series, and I really liked characters such as Tien and Krillin, who are useless in DBZ. In Dragon Ball fights, the cast relies more on techniques rather than just pure destructiveness and beam attacks like in DBZ. DBZ also suffers from repetitive arcs, unlike Dragon Ball where every arc is different and fun. Last but not least, I never liked all the transformations in DBZ, and it didn't help that they and charging attacks take up tons of time.
Apr 23, 2015 11:38 PM

Nov 2011
Monstrum said:
Kai is just remake of Z, and Dragon Ball Z is a sequel of Dragon Ball. What to compare? It's just the same.

Dragon Ball is pretty damn different from DBZ. The overall tone is more comedic and adventurous plus as I've said the fights in DB are more Kong fu based while in DBZ its more power ups and floating around.
Apr 23, 2015 11:42 PM

Oct 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:
Monstrum said:

Dragon Ball is pretty damn different from DBZ. The overall tone is more comedic and adventurous plus as I've said the fights in DB are more Kong fu based while in DBZ its more power ups and floating around.

I agree with this, though I still enjoy them both equally.
Apr 23, 2015 11:43 PM

Jan 2011
I see you didn't mention GT.
Apr 23, 2015 11:45 PM

Nov 2011
ReaperCreeper said:
Would their be any point?
Apr 23, 2015 11:45 PM

Jan 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Probably not.
Apr 23, 2015 11:51 PM

Apr 2013
Dragonball is probably the best, because the pacing was better and less filler. Dragonball Z was really epic though, but the fights were more about powerlevel and less about martial arts anymore.

Never watched Dragonball Kai.
Apr 27, 2015 6:58 PM

Sep 2011
Dragon Ball >= Dragon Ball Kai >>>>>Dragon Ball Z.

Personally, I like Dragon Ball and Kai about the same. I'd say I liked DB a little more because the world felt a little bit smaller and the tournament arcs where lots of fun.

If someone that has never watched any of the Dragon Ball series before where to ask me which one to start with. I would tell them to go with Dragon Ball Kai.

Dragon Ball Kai is something I wish they did with a lot of long running Shonen Series. It takes all the best stuff from Dragon Ball Z, removes all the filler and padding. Giving you the best version of the manga adaptation. After watching Dragon Ball Kai, I could never go back to watch Z again.

I would definitely give Dragon Ball Kai a try if you ever feel like rewatching the series.

If you don't like the series to begin with then don't bother. It's just a better paced shorter version of DBZ.
Apr 28, 2015 8:32 AM

Jun 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Dragon Ball >= Dragon Ball Kai >>>>>Dragon Ball Z.

Personally, I like Dragon Ball and Kai about the same. I'd say I liked DB a little more because the world felt a little bit smaller and the tournament arcs where lots of fun.

If someone that has never watched any of the Dragon Ball series before where to ask me which one to start with. I would tell them to go with Dragon Ball Kai.

Dragon Ball Kai is something I wish they did with a lot of long running Shonen Series. It takes all the best stuff from Dragon Ball Z, removes all the filler and padding. Giving you the best version of the manga adaptation. After watching Dragon Ball Kai, I could never go back to watch Z again.

I would definitely give Dragon Ball Kai a try if you ever feel like rewatching the series.

If you don't like the series to begin with then don't bother. It's just a better paced shorter version of DBZ.

Pretty much this. I watched DBZ before DB, and then DB Kai a long time after both when it came out. Always preferred DB, it's in my favs and I've re-watched it several times. But putting that aside for now, Kai is definitely better than Z. It gets a lot of hate for what I can only assume to be nostalgia, but it's better paced. Even with filler cut down Kai is still slower than your average anime. That doesn't reflect too well on Z. I enjoyed it at the time but like you said, can't go back. If I re-watch the series again it will be Kai.

I also agree with OP that the filler DB had was better. Felt more natural, didn't even know some of it was filler as I hadn't read the manga (and not much felt out of placed or forced).

DB > Kai > Z for me.
Apr 28, 2015 3:31 PM

Jan 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
ReaperCreeper said:

yes, there would be, because I enjoyed them equally.
Apr 28, 2015 4:11 PM

Aug 2014
New dbz series coming
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Feb 2015
IMO Dragonball > Dragonball Kai > Dragonball Z > Dragonball GT
Jun 30, 2015 4:56 AM

May 2009
It's one series and enjoyed every single episode ever since Dragon Ball, began last year and just finished Kai.
Jul 7, 2017 6:10 AM

May 2017
I think Dragon Ball original is the best. Why? Because it kinda makes more sense.

First of all, the title itself is more than explicit, this anime was meant to show the fight for those balls that are able to summon the dragon and grant wishes, and all the adventures that are born from it. And it really was a thing, because in order to find the balls you had to own special devices, and a trip around the world was huge stuff. Nowadays, it's really a matter of minutes/hours to gather the balls and summon the dragon... and they don't have any competition anymore (in DB there was emperor Pilaf and Red Ribbon army who really meant something). That's why death was an actual consequence and could break a heart, unlike now. I know that revivals per person are limited, but in DB if you fought and got injured/dead it was a big deal, they didn't have the access to senzu beans and dragon balls that they have now.

Also, people had to work hard to achieve things. Remember when master Roshi was a real thing? He was maybe the most powerful human back then (he was able to destroy the moon ffs!) and had fancy techniques, including Evil Containment... Goku and Krillin looked up to him and the training he put them through was difficult for them. Moving a big rock with their bare hands was a wow back then. And remember when they didn't know how to fly? It was a challenge to get from one place to another, in time. Also it was a challenge for Goku to climb the Korin tower (and Korin was also a thing back then) and also fight with enemies like General Tao or Tien Shinhan, who are mere humans. Goku took a lot of beatings which only helped him get stronger and he was actually scared to die (unlike now when he's willing to die because the other world is a nice place also). It's interesting to see his gradual growth and development, and trying to win through martial arts and lots of effort, instead of always pulling an ace up his sleeve, making his victories only look...fortunate.

Third thing, all those power levels things went like crazy. In DB, all the side characters (Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chaotzu, Roshi, even Oolong and Puar...we can also include Piccolo) were contributing to the plot. And some had to work hard as well. But over time, in DBZ, their roles went downhill to... just a part of the scenery, or watching the fights, or trying but dying the first minute, or delivering stuff from one place to another like postmen or etc etc. Now it's mostly about the saiyans and various overpowered monsters than only saiyans can stand. Dragon balls are just a...stuff and that'd be it. Not to mention that they don't focus on the hard work part anymore. I was baffled to see how long it took Goku, Gohan and Vegeta to reach SSJ, but then Goten and Trunks, who are only around 8-years-old, had it just like that; it's a child's play for them. It's like producers got bored at some point to create background stories and character development and went like 'let's give them SSJ to check that on our to-do list; story behind it: whatever'.

And don't even get me started on the OP enemies... Of course it takes a strong nemesis to make the characters grow, but they are like: saiyans, very powerful aliens, we gotta train like fuck to beat them. Then they barely beat them and here comes Frieza, who is so strong he/she (for me it was always a she, lol) could destroy a planetful of them. But Goku barely beats Frieza then here comes Cell, who is so strong he could eat Frieza with no fight. And so on, and so on...

But, I don't say DBZ entirely sucks. What I mostly like about it is the development of Gohan as a kid (he's one of the best newly introduced characters for me) who still kept the last remainings of the 'hard work institution' from the first series. He had a native power, but they didn't make him go overboard with it. He had to train hard and it's interesting to see his journey from a pussy, soft crybaby to an ambitious, courageous and ultimately strong young man. I also enjoyed his relationship with Piccolo and would have liked to see more of it (not in that way, you pervs). It's sweet how he was his father's arch enemy and killed him in the past, but then he clinged on to that molecule of good that he had within to join in saving the earth... only to develop that molecule while training and spending time with Gohan, who gave him a new purpose in life. He started out rather hurting Gohan and putting his life in danger or in hazard but I think it was Gohan's pure and good nature that changed him. For me it's one of the best, non-abusive (...later) relationships in Dragon Ball universe... maybe even in anime.

And DBGT... I didn't dare yet to watch it... Too many bad reviews lol.

Now what's left for me is Super.
The mindfucker.
Jan 21, 2018 12:46 PM

Oct 2017
DB Kai is probably the best, it has much better pacing than DBZ and the dub is improved as well. DBZ has some fun filler at times though (like the driving episode etc.).

DB is last. The normal human characters were always the weakest part of DB and they are the focus here. The humor is obnoxious, the villians are bland apart from King Piccolo and it really only gets good towards the end.

If it wasn't for DBZ this franchise would have been forgotten long ago.
Mar 18, 2018 6:10 PM

Dec 2013
Dragon Ball is the best because there is some fights with good martial arts choreography and not too strong special attacks and a lot tournaments stuff. King Piccolo and his son they are great final villians. I like Vegeta, Freezer, Gohan, Kuririn with hair and all this super saiyans think but i still prefer Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Z.
Love this shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pDHNTBSM74

MalyRBTMar 18, 2018 6:28 PM
Aug 27, 2021 6:26 PM

Apr 2020
I prefer Dragon Ball. I think it has more charm than DBZ. DBZ is fine as well, although it's been a while since I've last seen it. It's not my favorite anime so I doubt I'll rewatch it ever again. That's why I've been watching Kai, to refresh my memory about DBZ without the filler. I plan on watching Super next time, but right now I need something different. Probably gonna have a look at Demon Slayer or Jojo first. Maybe Hokuto no Ken as well.

I can certainly say that DB Kai: Final Chapters is probably the worst series (of Dragon Ball) I've seen so far. The Buu saga is very flawed (the reasons why can be found in my final episode review).

But yeah, the OG DB is my favorite. Probably because
It feels like there are more different characters and more lighthearted villains. I think it's great and to the point, unlike DBZ which drags everything out ad infinitum.
JezzmanAug 27, 2021 6:35 PM

Sep 21, 2023 11:17 AM

Nov 2012
Z is a still better for a handful of reasons, but kai is a great alternative way to revisit
JVskunkapeSep 21, 2023 11:21 AM
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Sep 26, 2023 8:36 AM

Apr 2015
I honestly have seen only Dragon ball and Z which I give a 10/10
I prefer Z over Kai because while it does have better pacing it cut out a whole lotta stuff. Havent seen Kai to compare it to but if you have the time I would recommend anyone to just watch Dragon ball, Followed by Z.
Kai is better suited for rewatches imo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 61 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 27, 2015

27 by wildhood »»
Mar 27, 5:57 AM

» Videl Flying

Rijupalika - Jul 8, 2022

11 by Tarekchahattou »»
Dec 4, 2023 9:35 PM

» Why does MAL have 61 when it's 69?

ThatOneGalXenora - May 4, 2018

20 by Alexioos95 »»
Dec 2, 2023 4:42 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2014

98 by Frosty »»
Nov 27, 2023 11:52 AM

» Why the hate for Kai?

xfero - Apr 12, 2014

28 by Tarekchahattou »»
Nov 2, 2023 7:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.