Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 1 Discussion

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense.
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2020 10:46 AM
Sep 2016
This feels like a Silver Link anime if there was ever to be called one. Not to say that is bad, but it’s very simple VRMMO story, with cute characters and bright and colorful animation.

I do like that it basically makes the best tank girl though. It’s fine and it’s basically gonna be my Kenja No Mago. Nothing overly special but fine for background noise.
It really do be like that though.

Jan 8, 2020 11:00 AM

Oct 2019
Definitely one of the better first episodes so far this season, I'm already hooked
Jan 8, 2020 11:08 AM
Mar 2018
For this season so far this is the best first episode I've seen. Friggin hilarious how she just finds the biggest game-breaking loophole in the game by accident and become completely OP by doing so. Discovers some insane achievement by doing what nobody would ever friggin think of to become even more OP.

Classic isekai in the sense that the protagonist is OP. Unclassic isekai because the main character has no friggin idea what they are doing and just stumbles from one OP feature into the next by pure coincidence.

Also the animations are cute. Feels like this could speak to a more feminine audience aswell unlike most male harem protagonist isekai out there.
Jan 8, 2020 11:12 AM
Nov 2017
I loved this first episode and I hope we get some decent Yuri action with maple and risa but either way I’m shipping them now
Jan 8, 2020 11:16 AM

Nov 2017
I like the concept of this anime. The main girl is cute too. And the game/world has a great fantasy looking feeling. I think this'll be an entertaining watch.

plz @ me
Jan 8, 2020 11:19 AM

Jun 2014
I couldn't stop hearing Shirou in Kuromu and Neptune from Maple(why do they sound so familiar while having different seiyuu wtf!?).

As for the episode, it was pretty much the same as the manga, I enjoyed it hopefully it stays the same tone all throughout the anime(so no serious plot please). From the opening too it's gonna go way farther than the manga but only 14 chapter got scanlated so I'm not surprised.

I'm really looking forward to see if all these characters in the opening are going to make this serie enjoyable or bring it down!

ttcchen said:
thats pretty interesting wow
defeating a boss in a dungeon on ur second day of playing??
i bet the game designer is crying right now lol

This is actually happens in the manga later in so hopefully they adapt it (and since it will go farther, hopefully it will happens more often!)
Thai777Jan 8, 2020 11:23 AM
Jan 8, 2020 11:45 AM

Jun 2012
I must be only one who disliked it, main girl is supposed to be cute, but, she is more bratty and bully to me, and way she became overpowered was so stupid. Drop from me.
Jan 8, 2020 11:47 AM
Sep 2019
Looks fun so far, but no one would be so nice on internet forums in real life
Jan 8, 2020 11:57 AM
Apr 2015
For me it was really painful to watch, the game world seens too broken (or she just gets the protagonist god buff, in any thats bad)
Cute character, some "funny" jokes that will get old really fast, you can't take this serious any moment, not for me then
Jan 8, 2020 11:59 AM
Feb 2009
wish it was this easy to level up in games lul
Jan 8, 2020 12:01 PM

Jan 2008
Was fun and a nice break from the all of the similar themed shows that need to have some kind of life or death risk in their VR game instead of just having a game they can just enjoy. Eating the hydra was a pretty dumb though.

Also while I'm enjoying the community chat bits, I also found it funny as someone whose pretty much always using some kind of message board/forum/etc for games. The online gaming community is no where near that nice. Lol.
Jan 8, 2020 12:06 PM
Nov 2018
Hoppy said:
Maple/Kaede really thinks outside of the box when it comes to defeating her foes, especially against that poison dragon, I didn't expect that she'll use her dagger as well. Who else would've though of defeating a super powerful dragon that's way past their level by eating pieces of it. Also, that poor bunny creature, it literally died of exhaustion in a futile attempt to even inflict 1 damage on Maple and all of the bug just nibbling and stomping on her also in futility is hilarious.

Yeah lmao i love how creative she is and upbeat! I’m so excited for this anime I was entertained throughout the whole episode and LOL her bff is gonna be surprised how OP her friend is and the main character thinks she’s still bad lol
Jan 8, 2020 12:10 PM
May 2019
It was super cute and Im looking forward to the next episode!
Jan 8, 2020 12:13 PM

Oct 2018
it doesn't make sense but it was fun to watch something simple.....
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Jan 8, 2020 12:22 PM

Jun 2017
lmao I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would.
Jan 8, 2020 12:35 PM

Oct 2017
Yay, i found the Noukin of the season :D
Jan 8, 2020 12:38 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A VRMMO huh. Catchy OP though that showed well the number of characters that will be featured. Given her defence was set so high its no wonder agility will be affected. Still its amusing seeing the rabbit try its best to break through her defence. Still her defence sure made her take some rather risky moves while in the wild. Its nice that Maple was able to meet some new friends on her second day. Playing a MMO is always better with friends. Though challenging a dungeon solo sure was rather foolish of her. Hilarious in how she managed to defeat the boss by biting chunks off him. Still thats some nice gear that she managed to find in the dungeon that managed to boost her defence substantially. Overall an interesting first ep that while managing to introduce Maple and first of the supporting cast well enough also managed to show just how powerful her defence will be in the upcoming battles. From the interactions seems this series will aim for a more relaxed take on the genre though i do hope there will be challenges that forces Maple to team up with others. Other than that Maples naive nature sure is synthesising well with her seiyuu.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2020 12:40 PM
Feb 2019
I hope they keep focusing on the defense gimmick. Shield hero started off like that too but eventually they didn't focus that much on the hero's shield...
Jan 8, 2020 12:41 PM

May 2015
OMG SHE'S SOOO CUTE!!!!! I already knew before I even started this anime season that Maple would be best girl of the season but she's even better than I expected!! SHE'S SOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly love this series so much already. The very first time I played D&D I played a Shielder so I can resonate with this series so much. Having no attacks stuff, just a shield and absolute defense. Im gonna love every episode of this series to the max.

Maple is best girl of the season, period. This is the first anime Ive started of the season but I know for a fact that Maple is my best girl. Love her so much. SHE ATE THE DRAGON WHILE LOOKING CUTE AF!!!!! Interesting that an MMO has immunity though lol. This basically reminds me of Cautious Hero from last season in the way it focuses on one quirk and I love it. Cautious Hero was about the Hero being SUPER cautious and this is about the girl just putting absolutely everything into defense. Names speak for themselves lol. I love every time she gets new points and she immedietly is like "I'll put these into Vitality." No hesitation XD. Also love how she says it in english to make it even cuter. Cant stop gushing over her.
DarknessRealityJan 8, 2020 12:50 PM
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 8, 2020 12:47 PM

Jan 2017
I really enjoyed that. I am definitely sticking with it.
Jan 8, 2020 12:58 PM

Dec 2016
One of the anime's I have been looking forward to watching the most this season.

Wow she is like a super Metapod, it was pretty funny watching her against those monsters, just stand there all day, gain lots of bonuses and eventually win, quite the way to make a strong character.

I'm surprised she didn't put anything into her speed considering she talked a lot about being so slow at the beginning or her adventure.

Wow again watching her eat that enormous hydra, and she gets skills and attacks from it just like

Risa is going to get a big shock when she finally logs in and sees how powerful Maple has become.
Jan 8, 2020 1:00 PM

Feb 2019
This is stupid, this series has the worst aspects of previous works such as SAO, Arifureta an extremely OP character with hacks which gets everything easy. But instead of receiving the same criticized instead everyone praises and likes him. F*ck you Mapple F*ck.
Jan 8, 2020 1:06 PM
Jan 2020
RayReynolds said:
This is stupid, this series has the worst aspects of previous works such as SAO, Arifureta an extremely OP character with hacks which gets everything easy. But instead of receiving the same criticized instead everyone praises and likes him. F*ck you Mapple F*ck.

Lulz issou, go learn what his a good anime and why Arifureta is criticized when you can't compared them not even a little bit, anyone with a little understanding of story can see this at the first 5 min
First of all it's not a Isekai, it's a game litterally, they not even trapped in it
Second of all she never hack whatever, just max out her defense
Third of all is a totally comic show that didn't take herself seriously, the anime just want to be moe and fun
Jan 8, 2020 1:07 PM

Aug 2012
This was hilarious! I love anime like this wherein you can just watch, relax and have fun.

By the way, what does the "Giant Killing" skill do? I couldn't read all of the kanji. Thanks!
Jan 8, 2020 1:11 PM
Jan 2020
A very fun anime, let's face it this anime will not take himself seriously just by looking at the rules of the game, max out defense meaning taking 0 damage anyone could be invincible, he just going to be a comic and moe show and i'm fine with it
I like it could be the Konosuba of the vr game anime in the comic with
Jan 8, 2020 1:20 PM

Jan 2016
Moe asf, not that I'm complaining. An enjoyable episode to kick it off
Jan 8, 2020 1:22 PM

Sep 2016
I wish she had more difficulties but i guess it's the comedy side of the anime, that was very pleasant to watch hope it stays this way
Jan 8, 2020 1:32 PM

Apr 2015
This was pretty silly, but damn I enjoyed it! Maple (or Kaede) is pretty cute and I love how cheerful she is. With her vitality so high, she won't feel any pain... I just hope that this whole vitality thing won't become old very quickly.

Pretty solid start!

Eating that Hydra though... lol Pretty insane XD

LukesYGO_WSonYT said:
One of the anime's I have been looking forward to watching the most this season.

Wow again watching her eat that enormous hydra, and she gets skills and attacks from it just like

Risa is going to get a big shock when she finally logs in and sees how powerful Maple has become.

Exactly what I thought of as well, however we don't have to deal with a bad CGI dragon with mutiple heads this time around...
Jan 8, 2020 1:39 PM
Mar 2018
That was adorable.
Jan 8, 2020 1:46 PM
Dec 2019
The VR World looks nice, with cute creatures and very colorful. The protagonist seems so be funny and friendly, she's a nice girl that doesn't know much about VR games, but she's doing her best. She will become like the best defensive user inside the game, probably she won't use any sword to fight, instead she'll use her shield, that's original.
I wasn't expected she will bite the dragon to death lol.

96/100
Jan 8, 2020 1:51 PM

Aug 2015
So Arifureta, Shield Hero, and SAO had a threeway? I'll watch it because it seems halfway decent, but I wouldn't be surprised if I dropped it halfway through.
Jan 8, 2020 1:52 PM

Feb 2019
LeeChang239 said:
RayReynolds said:

Lulz issou, go learn what his a good anime and why Arifureta is criticized when you can't compared them not even a little bit, anyone with a little understanding of story can see this at the first 5 min
First of all it's not a Isekai, it's a game litterally, they not even trapped in it
Third of all is a totally comic show that didn't take herself seriously, the anime just want to be moe and fun

much people like to use that pretext that it is a "comedy" or it is "moe" and for that reason it cannot be criticized, but I am always impartial and I focus on content such as writing and if that at least it makes sense. But not, here the same error occurs with SAO, the author doesn't know the first thing about MMOs, the protagonist was the only one to break a massively popular multiplayer game which is absurd, the people grind magikarp to level 100 just to say that they did. But of course we're here for the jokes! The jokes about how the protagonist is a clueless invincible godling while traveling the world finding irony and references. Because that stone still has some blood left in it to squeeze out, apparently.
Jan 8, 2020 1:57 PM
Sep 2018
It's silly.
(I like silly)

I'm pretty sure RL forums aren't that nice...
(Just look at MAL...)
However, the online forums in this anime are similar to those in a couple of my favorite WN/manga; I don't have a problem with people being nice.

I haven't played an MMO ever, so I have no problem with the representation of how they work.
It's a setting for a story, you design it to work as it needs to in order for the story to "make sense" within it's setting... yes, that's circular, but many things do work that way.

Maple hasn't a clue about gaming in any way shape or form. All she knows is that she doesn't want to get hurt.
Realistically, that's not a bad perspective to have.
I'll admit, after her first level up, I'd have thrown some points into agility, just so I could get places faster, but... if you accept her throwing everything into defense at the beginning, her continuing to do so isn't unreasonable; it had been a winning strategy so far, hadn't it?

"It can't hurt me any longer. I'm immune to all of it's attacks. I HAVE NO WEAPONS!!! hmph. Fine, I'll bite it! nom nom nom... blech; oh, it's attack made it taste better!"
Hilarious as heck.
Jan 8, 2020 2:14 PM
Jan 2017
this was so fun and im looking forward to the next episode, i can't wait to see everyone shocked faces at her new stuff. so far it seems like it will be really good tho i hope we dont spend to much time irl. XD
Jan 8, 2020 2:39 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well she sure seems more useful than Darkness at this job

I'm questioning the game design of these skill acquisition mechanics though lol
Jan 8, 2020 2:43 PM

Mar 2019
Can already tell this is gonna be the isekai people shit on this season whether it ends up being good or bad

Jan 8, 2020 3:13 PM

May 2012
That was a great episode. I really want to watch the episode 2 right now,

Let's hope they can keep the quality throughout the series. The first 3 episodes of "Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!" were awesome, but the rest wasn't as good even though the anime was still fun.

I'm only disappointed with Kuromu. He was not supposed to use a shield, but swords. He was born use and make swords...a world full of them.

kamil88 said:
I must be only one who disliked it, main girl is supposed to be cute, but, she is more bratty and bully to me, and way she became overpowered was so stupid. Drop from me.

BULLY??? W T F
KaeUBWJan 8, 2020 3:22 PM
I despise woke people.
Jan 8, 2020 3:13 PM
Jan 2016
RayReynolds said:
LeeChang239 said:

much people like to use that pretext that it is a "comedy" or it is "moe" and for that reason it cannot be criticized, but I am always impartial and I focus on content such as writing and if that at least it makes sense. But not, here the same error occurs with SAO, the author doesn't know the first thing about MMOs, the protagonist was the only one to break a massively popular multiplayer game which is absurd, the people grind magikarp to level 100 just to say that they did. But of course we're here for the jokes! The jokes about how the protagonist is a clueless invincible godling while traveling the world finding irony and references. Because that stone still has some blood left in it to squeeze out, apparently.

I do agree it is ridiculous. When MMO's give you an option to choose a class, it is supposed to give either set or random stats plus some points to spend on the stat of your choosing. This says "here is 100 pts. go crazy" which would be a very game breaking thing to do and would make any normal studio have to either shutdown the account due to how unfair it is or make a patch that nerfs the class.

I get where you're coming from but I believe this is an anime that is most likely meant to shut your brain off to and enjoy it, which I know isn't an excuse for bad writing but...

it won't make it passed one season most likely.
prrgangstaJan 8, 2020 3:26 PM
Jan 8, 2020 3:23 PM

Feb 2014
RIP usagi-san lik if u cryed
Jan 8, 2020 3:32 PM
Jan 2016
kumikoto said:
Can already tell this is gonna be the isekai people shit on this season whether it ends up being good or bad

Well I would say there are some criticisms but it is an anime that is meant to be enjoyed by turning your brain off. But I do think the fact she is ridiculously OP as a beginner just unfair. Unlocking skills and abilities like she did would be considered too easy for MMO standards and would mean that anyone should be OP if skills are that easy to acquire. Just a criticism on my part though
Jan 8, 2020 3:33 PM

Dec 2018
i instantly love this, but also I had to lower the speed under 1.00 to read the chat log scenes...
Jan 8, 2020 3:39 PM

Aug 2013
I wasn’t planning on watching this one but omg am I glad I did!!!!

This was so cute and I’m really excited on how it will go. :)
Jan 8, 2020 3:48 PM

Jul 2015
Cute girls doing cute things...

Sold!
Jan 8, 2020 4:04 PM

Jul 2017
It was fine I guess.
It's very much looking to be a generic isekai, but it was entertaining at the very least.

Pros:
+ Solid art style
+ A few humorous moments

Cons:
- The mechanics of the game are undoubtedly broken. Seriously, poison immunity, in the early game? Allowing for that flexible of stat distribution?
- Another case of seemingly overpowered MC

neonie said:

And where did the 9 +STR she had at one point even come from?

I believe it's from her weapon(s), the short sword (possibly the shield as well?). I have played some RPGs where the weapon adds to base strength stats.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 8, 2020 4:12 PM

Oct 2007
enjoyable first episode. She's purely a vit build... gain offense with poison from a dragon boss. That armor looks super strong too.

looking forward to next week!
Jan 8, 2020 4:35 PM

Sep 2011
It's difficult to get over the facts that she hit level 2 off of a single enemy in the starting area, that vitality was not actually raising her HP (it remained a constant 40), she was earning skills after she used them, she got poison immunity that quickly, and she got what she claimed was a unique item off the first boss.

It seemed chill though, which is nice. Hopefully we don't get some tonal whiplash in the next few episodes.
Jan 8, 2020 5:49 PM

Jan 2011
man my MMO soul is getting triggered so hard by this i didn't think their logic of following normal games rules/and design would be this bad even for the sake of comedy lol like if everyone can gain skills at the rate she is wouldn't every seasoned player be kinda OP? and at least in slime it took months ,shes only been playing for 2 days.

all of this would be super big problems if it wasn't for the sake of CGDCT judging from the OP ,surprised to see some male characters and fake male saber never showing his face is a gag i can get behind.

SHIELDER got her anime boys
Jan 8, 2020 5:51 PM
Jan 2019
Xenobreaker said:
This was hilarious! I love anime like this wherein you can just watch, relax and have fun.

By the way, what does the "Giant Killing" skill do? I couldn't read all of the kanji. Thanks!
At the very least it gave her the additional 2x vitality that took her from 2x to 4x. Not sure if there was anything else from it.
Jan 8, 2020 6:05 PM
Feb 2009
Usagi-saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Jan 8, 2020 6:17 PM

Dec 2007
Oh my god i fucking love this show!
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2020

95 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 1, 3:37 AM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2020

168 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 18, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2020

123 by Gvendoline »»
Jan 17, 7:19 PM

» Unacceptable Developer Response to Maple (spoilers through Ep. 3) - I'm cancelling my MMO subscription

Oiisu - Jan 14, 2023

12 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2020

139 by yourboy_asta »»
Dec 30, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.