Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Jan 16, 2019 6:40 AM
Dec 2017
I died a little bit inside.
May 29, 2019 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
This reminded me of a certain Ashita no Joe episode. One of the best episodes I've seen in a long time and maybe of all time. RIP Yang
Aug 3, 2019 6:15 PM
Jan 2016
HOLY FUCKING CRAP.

While the narrator dialogue got me worried, I can't believe they actually killed him off. At the very least Yang's death is the big thing to keep until the season finale, right? He's half the show, I can't believe they did it with a good 25+ episodes and another full season to go. Where are things going to go from here? Is Julian going to take the mantle of the main character on the Alliance/democracy side of things?

RIP Yang Weng Li. You were quite the heavy, second in this show only to Reinhard. You were always the more likable and sympathetic character in comparison to him though. Such a down to earth character. I know I loved to tease him as he came off as if he was a college student with his home life, but such respect for the character. I still am in shock that they did this.

And I was about to say this was my favorite episode of the series thus far for upping the stakes so much, thinking that Yang was going to make it out alive!

Happy I made it all the way here unspoiled!
Aug 20, 2019 6:27 PM
Dec 2015
the pain i feel right now is immense
one of the greatest characters ever written
thank you and goodbye
Sep 9, 2019 12:21 PM

Sep 2017
One of the most funniest and fitting deaths this entire series. Yang dies because he was having a sleeping pill and didn't want to call out for Julian and because he chose 'foolish' people who couldn't beat him at 3d chess to travel with him.

It's like the anime needed a excuse for getting Yang out of the plot. This is far worse than the time when his ex's fiancee died in episode 1. So many death flags around, couldn't take Yang death seriously anymore.

I guess this shows something important. It takes only one emotional foolish decision to knock you off your arse. Always stand your ground, and never compromise.

Though I must really appreciate the guts of the earth cult in killing him
They efficiently used a distraction during the dark night when Yang is most vulnerable and killed him. And I guess they did what Reinhardt couldn't do in a thousand years.
Like they say, to kill a magician, you got to beat him at his own game.

Checkmate Yang. May you Rest in pieces.
eski514 said:
See, kids? That's why you don't take sleeping pills. Drugs KILL.

Lol this quote.
JeremiahOrangeSep 9, 2019 12:25 PM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 13, 2019 9:45 AM

Aug 2007
I think it was pretty apparent Yang was going to die.
I was mostly shocked at the timing... there are quite a few episodes left. I was expecting a major but not Yang/Reinhardt type death until the last 5ish episodes. The hopelessness by the crew was written very well. I couldn’t even register the death until Julian freaked out. To realize he was shot in such a place by a nobody is so heartbreaking.

I thankfully didn’t watch the preview to the episode. I haven’t been that speechless from a death in a long time.

Oct 4, 2019 8:25 AM
Sep 2017
I've watched the preview but I was in denial so when he actually died I saluted and cried. R.I.P. Magician
T_T
Nov 4, 2019 10:32 PM

Jan 2011
you know? in another universe Reinhard an Yang had apic axe duel in the middle of a flaming Brunhild while the spirits of Kircheis an Yessica were cheering for them... an with sakuga animation at that
Nov 24, 2019 1:47 AM

Oct 2012
RIP Yang, that's just sad they just underestimated Yang's protection.. way too much

That was the most disappointing death and sad.. he didn't deserve it
"Signature removed"
Nov 29, 2019 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
Watched it a while ago but just wanted to come back and say that no death in fiction as ever hit me even close to as hard as this one did. RIP to the GOAT
Dec 14, 2019 9:42 PM

Jun 2016
RIP Yang Wenli

I knew he was going to die as soon as I saw the preview in episode 81, and figured he probably would eventually from how many times he avoided death, but I wasn't expecting him to bleed to death after being shot in the leg. This hits me really hard...

I don't know what to say other than he didn't deserve to die like this, it should have been an honorable death like Admiral Bucock.
Lost_VikingDec 15, 2019 8:37 PM
Dec 28, 2019 5:24 PM

Apr 2016
I hate the narrator and his spoilers...
That moment that could have been unpredictable was just the opposite by his fault.

It was a good sad scene, anyway. Now I don't know what the show will do in order to not be less interesting.
Jan 3, 2020 1:23 PM

Nov 2016
I can finally say it. I already got spoiled years ago while reading a comment on the forums, sucks, but the series was heavily hinting at it anyway and a few episodes ago I saw this thread having so many comments, I was definitely more than prepared...or so I thought at least. This damn episode hit me like a meteor.

Had even to wait one day to collect myself in order to continue the series. And despite all that, I still don't want to accept the fact that Yang is gone for good, that's how depressing the thought is.

But mad props to the people who worked on this masterpiece of an episode. The way it was directed and the narrator who added to the experience. You knew it was going to happen and waiting for it was just excruatingly intense. Knowing that it wouldn't be Fork was a little relief, tho. And the fact that Yang, who always wanted to live a chill life, who within his last moments acknowled that he sent countless others to their deaths, died at the hand of a nobody in a almost pathetic manner, that was somewhat poetic. And as sad as it was, Yang didn't fail to make us laugh for a last time with his "bloody Yang" pun, even if just for a second. It was like he was saying, don't be sad. It's definitely something that elevates the death of a hero and the classic hommage to a certain character was the icing on the cake. R.i.p. Yang Wen-li.

I sure as hell would've loved to see him survive, but I can hardly complain given how impactful it was. And there are hella lot of possibilites how characters and plot can develop from here on.

And oh boy, it will surely be interesting to see the reactions, especially of three certain characters.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 27, 2020 5:52 AM

Feb 2016
Thanks god i always avoid the narrator in this series so that i can avoid such a horrible spoiler

If someone like a narrator ruined such a magnificent moment like this i would be enraged as ever....

It was obvious than julian was going to replace yang one day but man that's way too early damn it....

He doesn't deserve it ever, in the whole anime he didn't receive the treatment he should have had like longrham for example and even his death too...

That's too depressing and unsatisfying , that's what makes logh great....
Jan 27, 2020 5:53 AM

Feb 2016
Thanks god i always avoid the narrator in this series so that i can avoid such a horrible spoiler

If someone like a narrator ruined such a magnificent moment like this i would be enraged as ever....

It was obvious than julian was going to replace yang one day but man that's way too early damn it....

He doesn't deserve it ever, in the whole anime he didn't receive the treatment he should have had like longrham for example and even his death too...

That's too depressing and unsatisfying , that's what makes logh great....
Feb 2, 2020 9:57 AM

Jul 2016
He's gone, just like that? By the hands of a faceless lunatic? I think my blood just ran cold. I can't believe that just happened.

I also don't think I can look at sleeping pills in the same way ever again because of this episode.
Feb 10, 2020 6:45 PM

Jan 2016
I dont think this death was done right. Something is massively wrong when Yang Wenli is my favorite character and I didnt cry when he died after 82 episodes of character development. But I cried when Kircheis died after only like 28 episodes.
Mar 1, 2020 4:41 PM

Aug 2010
Yang was just trying to sleep with the pills... well... now he can sleep forever...
Apr 29, 2020 5:39 AM

Oct 2011
they really had to break my heart like that huh. yang, you'll be immensely missed! the only fleet admiral of my heart ♡
May 3, 2020 2:06 PM

Dec 2019
NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHYYYYY :((((( SDOKJADADADO{J"AD IM CRYING RN
                                                         🖤   

May 9, 2020 4:58 PM

Jul 2019
Chai11 said:
After watching episode 82, I decided to go back to episode 81 to watch the preview for 82 and I can't help but hysterically laugh at the narration because omg holy shez. REALLY? REALLY NOW? Thanks to these boards, I've avoided the previews since episode 1 but after watching the preview for 82, I'm just like woooow that narrator. ARE U SERIUS?!? ARE YOU FURREAL?

Hahaha yeah, they just want you to buy the next episode, who cares if that completely ruins your experience.

I just LOVE how they keep hinting at Oberstein being kind of responsible for most tragedies (Westerland, Kircheis, Earth cult presence on the Empire thanks to Lang, Lennenkampf, and now Yang's death), almost like he was an Earth cultist himself, yet at the same time they keep showing how loyal he is to Reinhard and the Empire. My guess is that in the novel he's portrayed as an ambiguous historical figure who may or may not be a traitor (or just a Machiavellian saint), something that's way harder to do on film... Or perhaps the series will reveal his true intentions later, I dunno.

I also love how Kircheis has way more influence now than before his death, back when he and Reinhard were clearly starting to take separate ways. He's like Ben Kenobi, being stronger dead.

And of course, gotta love that red herring, the Rossenritters arriving, and even Yang hearing Julian before getting shot, all made to lower our guard even after so many red flags. Very suspenseful episode even if you know what's going to happen, like the iceberg scene from Titanic.
HeirofZorMay 9, 2020 5:01 PM
Jul 11, 2020 7:22 PM

Mar 2012
2:55 on June 1st, Space Calendar 800. Yang Wenli's time stopped at age 33.
You're gonna carry that weight.

Although, it was foreshadowed from the first ending with Yang fading away, and in effect passing the torch on to Julian who is left behind to gaze at the expanse of the universe.
Still, I hoped he would live the rest of his days living in peaceful retirement with Frederica, reading all the history books he could ever want, and pass from old age. It's the least he deserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His last words to the Yang Fleet: "No, that won't work, Julian. That would be discourteous to the Kaiser who offered to talk with me on equal terms. If we displease the Kaiser and he loses his desire for talks the opportunity for peace may be gone forever. And now, if we fight against the Imperial Fleet again, there's basically no chance for victory."

"Moreover, we've lost Vice Admiral Fischer. Coming up with tactics alone won't win us any battles. If the fleet doesn't have the ability to execute the plan flawlessly, there's nothing we can do. If we refuse the offer of talks now, it would be an act of suicide."

His only voiced objection is to Poplan when he volunteers to accompany him: "There's no way we'll get into aerial combat, so you have no place on this stage."

His last words to Julian: "Don't be silly. I've always counted on you. Ever since that day six years ago when you dragged along a trunk that was larger than your body at the time."

"If I was unable to go, I'd have you go in my place. But because I can, I'll go. That's all."

"By the way, Julian. Be honest. Who do you like better, Cazellnu's daughter or Schenkopp's daughter? Depending on your decision, I'll have to be prepared for it, you know?"

His last conversation with Frederica: "Frederica, I'm just going to go meet the most handsome man in the universe. I'll be back in about two weeks."
"Please take care. Oh, your hair is a little messy."
"Aw, it's okay. Don't worry about it."
"No. You're going to be meeting the second most handsome man in the universe, you know?
"See you."

His last mumbles to his subordinates who are on high alert:
"Um, I've taken a sleeping pill so I'm rather sleepy."

His last words: "Well, this doesn't look good... Oh dear, Miracle Yang became Blood-soaked Yang. I'm sorry, Frederica. I'm sorry, Julian. I'm sorry, everyone."
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Sep 2, 2020 9:37 AM

Mar 2016
As soon as Yang took that sleeping pill and then got up the dread just hit me, I knew something was going to happen. I did not expect to lose one of my favorite characters in the show, that hit me hard. My mouth was wide open the whole time he was wandering those corridors, what a way to go... I'm not looking forward to Frederica finding out.
That's kinda cringe but I laughed
Sep 24, 2020 12:57 PM
Dec 2019
Thank you Yang wan-Li for being so... Thank you Yang wan-Li for being so you. You are my favorite character of a show that i consider to be' the best anime that i have ever watched.
Dec 23, 2020 10:01 PM
Jun 2017
Many democratic death flags have been raised to half mast in this episode, but there is one that is flying higher than any other.

Admiral Yang Wenli is dead.

I must say that I'm at a loss of words. My recent comments have tend to be quite the paragraphs, but now... I don't know what to write. It was a death not befitting of the great Admiral everyone envisioned him to be, but as someone pointed out a decade ago, it was a humble death for a humble man.

The man that didn't want to devote his life to war had it end away from a battlefield. It ended by treason, in a dark alley, being shot in the leg. He didn't die the death of a warrior, commanding a battleship, being martyred for his ideals, or at least being shot through the heart. Yang Wenli died as a dog, not even being allowed to see the face of his murderer.

This is by far the hardest death to accept I've ever seen (even more than Kircheis'), not because I liked him very much or that I agreed with his beliefs, but because it was the most dishonorable death a honest man can die.

It is certain that Reinhard's shock and rage will be unparalleled, not only because they snatched his prey away from him, but because Yang Wenli deserved more than being taken down by treacherous means.

My heart was clenched in pain with his final words.

Alas, Oberstein's plan did come to fruition, though it probably wasn't as he expected. I must recognize his commitment to his ideals, even going as far as to volunteer for a certain death. That's something bypassed by many when it comes to Oberstein. I know Mittermeyer must have reasonable motives to hate him, but I believe that hate is largely undeserved. Even he partially owes his current position to Oberstein's schemes.

Knowing that Admiral Yang is dead, if they could take him down they can take down virtually everyone. Oberstein has too many enemies, and I wouldn't be very surprised to know about his death. At last, he would die in the universe he envisioned. Even so, his death would have consequences that would be looked down by everyone at first sight, but could very well be a critical blow to the Neue Reich by losing one of its finest pieces on the board.

The Magician did not return. One can only wonder how much the foundations of the galaxy will be shaken.

(Also, F for Patorichev. A gentle giant he was).
Dec 27, 2020 2:38 PM
Nov 2020
Oberstein is just amazing. To volunterr his own life for his evil plan is fantastic writing for such a complex character. He seems really dedicated to Reindhardt, but he just sees a different path and direction with priortises his Kaiser and the Imperial army's success over anything else.

I got the vibe Yang knew he might die. Thats why he left Julian, Federic, Schonkopf on the ship. He knew there was a chance he'd be assasinated but by the imperial army (not Reindhardt but one of the dead Admiral's men). Therefore he kept who would potentially replace him in the future at Iserlohn. He alluded to this in his chat with Julian.

However he was a little too light on protection for my liking and although I understand not bringing the more important characters who could take over his mantle, a few Rosenritters would have done the job quite nicely.

I'm not sure where we go with this now. Reindhardt & Julian versus the Terrorists? Or will Julian assume it was the Imperial army and go after Reindhardt? We're going to find out; was Julian just following Yang.. or does he really believe in the ideals Yang believed in too?

I wonder if they'll be stupid enough to think the imperial army did this or not.

I think the most upsetting thing was not involving Frederica in all of this. The sad truth is that she was fairly astute. Both main characters are hugely protected by their female counterparts and I don't think its chance that Yang dies without her close by.

Yang's achilles heel for this entire show has been he is a phenomenal, amazing tactician from the backline but on the front line, he is absolutely useless. The fact he's shot down in such a horrible, stupid manner underlines this when he could have hit a bit more smartly. Sadly his carefree attitude.. was there at the end.

Dec 29, 2020 2:26 PM
Oct 2015
I watched this years ago, but just had the sudden need to say something about this particular ep,

LOGH is currently my favorite sries of all time, this episode right here is a big part of that.

I had already seen the Red wedding in GOT, watched FMA:B, AOT, and countless other masterpieces that have great characters deaths.

But this one....

It was just the 2 second ep I was watching in my session I usually watch between 6 and 8 eps per session, and dont stop unless I wanna eat something or have to go to the bathroom.

But after this ep ended, I stopped for like a hour, mourning a fictional character.

By far the biggest impact a character death has had on me.

Jan 18, 2021 7:52 AM

Oct 2018
Rewatching LOTGH. Unlike last time, I cried alot when he died for almost 30 min lol. This is prolly the longest ive cried while watching anime ;-;
Feb 3, 2021 3:45 PM

Jun 2019
I did not expect that the death of an anime character could make me cry... I love how this show makes you care about all deaths, like the one of Fischer or Fahrenheit. There are no enemies, only victims of foolish ambitions.
Feb 12, 2021 11:24 AM

Jul 2012
Last episode my heart stopped for a bit when they said Mittermeyer had died but fortunately they were wrong and I was happy... And now this :(

I knew Yang was going to die since I got spoiled but I thought he'd die closer to the end, omg I wasn't ready to see him go! poor Julian and Frederica :(
Feb 22, 2021 2:08 PM

Aug 2018
I definitely to kill off yang like this
_______I like rocks__
Apr 11, 2021 10:48 AM
Jan 2015
Fuck .. what the fucking what ... i still can't believe this .. he died .. what the fuck .. omg ..

no no no no no ........ no ...

Apr 11, 2021 10:50 AM
Jan 2015
JP_rNr said:
FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!

sorry about that.....damn why did Yang have to die?

he's like the greatest guy I know in anime.....a hero of the people and democracy.....a role model to the youngins.....a great friend....and a great husband.....truly a great man!

damn that really ruined my evening.....

Yang Wenli....may you have peace in Valhala....

...rNr...

same feeling man .. same feeling .. what the fuck just happened .. holly shit .. noooooooooooooo ..

Apr 19, 2021 12:10 AM

Jul 2020
Atlos said:

SHUT UP ATLOS :,((
Apr 19, 2021 12:33 AM

Aug 2018
Practice said:
Atlos said:

SHUT UP ATLOS :,((
:((((((((((((((
_______I like rocks__
Jun 14, 2021 10:19 AM

Nov 2018
Well it was expected , because opening gave more than enough hints , but that death still hurts sooooooooo much ....
I hate everyone equally
Jun 14, 2021 10:22 AM

Nov 2018
It seems I was also right thinking LOTGH is Reinhard's story. Also because of openings. So much foreshadowing.

It's safe to assume it's one of Oberstein's doings , right?
I hate everyone equally
Jun 17, 2021 11:09 PM
Oct 2018
what the fuck just happened
Jun 18, 2021 7:23 AM

Dec 2019
a huge chunk of me just sank like a shipwreck, fuck
Jun 24, 2021 5:47 PM
Jul 2020
That was really sad…
Jul 5, 2021 11:25 AM

Aug 2013
RIP Yang Wen-li. That was really depressing. :(

Jul 19, 2021 7:41 AM

Nov 2017
WHAT THE FUCKKKKK This episode killed me...
Aug 4, 2021 12:31 PM

Jun 2020
BRO WHAT THE FUCK THEY ACTUALLY DID IT

HOW?? HOW COULD DEY???
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Aug 28, 2021 1:04 AM
Oct 2015
horridhendy said:
That was such a shitty way to kill him off. Now I’ll bet Julian will become the “next Yang”. Ugh.

Ehm...not really?

Sep 3, 2021 9:20 PM

Dec 2018
i mean i hated yang's character but what a dumb way to get rid of him, not satisfying at all
really should have looked at that disc julian
and no, he really is one of the worst written characters ever, he started off okay but then became completely contradictory, up his own ass, and surrounded by convenient plot contrivances
Sep 26, 2021 11:42 AM
Feb 2018
Thanks. Day ruined.
Oct 20, 2021 5:02 PM
Dec 2018
He's finally dead, yessss. 😌 About damn time. Hopefully a few more members of his group join him in the void.
Oct 21, 2021 5:45 AM

Jan 2020
We all saw it coming because of that bitch ass narrator, but holy hell I got some fat goosebumps. I love that he didn't die from Andrew Fork or Reinhard, he got killed by some random ass person. His death just....happened. Fucking hate heroic, grandiose death scenes so I'm glad. What's even better is that he took a sleeping pill, lol. Drowsy mfer
astoneonOct 21, 2021 6:06 AM
man.
Nov 6, 2021 4:48 AM

Jul 2016
zand999 said:
I died a little bit inside.

Same here.

Yang forever.
Jan 11, 2022 6:18 AM

Sep 2020
Man just why that was so depressing to see, they had to just kill him off like that
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 66 Discussion

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

45 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

59 by ELuck42 »»
Jun 1, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

69 by Safrichh »»
May 29, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

605 by ryzxgum »»
May 29, 12:32 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 106 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

91 by ryzxgum »»
May 28, 12:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.