Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Apr 6, 2019 8:22 PM

Oct 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
Abysmal colors

Wut?

Gotta love wannabe critics ranting about colors of all things. That Legend of the Galactic Heroes? That show had too much black and dark blue, that's just not acceptable!
Apr 6, 2019 8:37 PM

Apr 2016
SightScreen said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
Abysmal colors

Wut?

Gotta love wannabe critics ranting about colors of all things. That Legend of the Galactic Heroes? That show had too much black and dark blue, that's just not acceptable!
You know, the best part about all of this is that I don’t even need to attack the colors and designs in this show to dismantle your point. I can just point to comic books and movies to tell you that colors are important. Are you telling me Captain America would be a good design if his color scheme was pink, lime green, and bague instead of red, white, and blue? You telling me Reinhard would have a good design wearing a neon orange uniform and silver hair? You telling me Darling in the FranXX still be popular if all of the generally great colors in the show were replaced and used haphazardly for its designs and world? You telling me that colors aren’t worth criticizing given how important they are to designs? Circa 100 years of comic book and film production, and circa 75 years of animation production BTFO. All tremble before the might of spiteful fanboyism. Oh wait, it's not even on your list! So...why are you here?

It’s times like this where I gotta credit @ycleped for responding with some semblance of maturity (even if I was a bit aggressive about defending my stance, like I generally am). We don’t get that too often with people defending a show someone criticizes.
CodeBlazeFateApr 6, 2019 9:20 PM
Apr 6, 2019 9:17 PM
Feb 2017
To be honest I have no earthly idea what was going on in this show. Neither part of the characters since they lost their memories too. Well, I liked it.
Apr 6, 2019 9:45 PM
Jan 2018
CodeBlazeFate said:
I can just point to comic books and movies to tell you that colors are important.

I have to side with CodeBlazeFate on this point. Visually, this anime has honestly been mediocre so far. As bad as the earlier OVA was, you gotta admit it looked stellar, with vastly superior layouts and use of colour and perspective:

I was hoping the new anime would be able to redeem the game's redesigns to look more appealing and expressive (like the recent manga was), but looks like they're adhering too closely Ryou Nagi's (who did the redesigns for the game's remake) flat drawing style and audacious use of oversaturated primary colours. YU-NO is a story that intentionally starts like a stereotypical ecchi harem but slowly turns into a sci-fi epic, and this anime's art style fails to sell that (unless it changes later on to emphasise it or something). Art direction is another aspect that can seriously enhance or damage the quality or atmosphere, and neglecting it can have real consequences.
Apr 7, 2019 1:40 AM

Oct 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
You know, the best part about all of this is that I don’t even need to attack the colors and designs in this show to dismantle your point.

My point? Huh? That you're a wannabe critic? Every post you make reinforced that notion.

I can just point to comic books and movies to tell you that colors are important. Are you telling me Captain America would be a good design if his color scheme was pink, lime green, and bague instead of red, white, and blue? You telling me Reinhard would have a good design wearing a neon orange uniform and silver hair? You telling me Darling in the FranXX still be popular if all of the generally great colors in the show were replaced and used haphazardly for its designs and world? You telling me that colors aren’t worth criticizing given how important they are to designs? Circa 100 years of comic book and film production, and circa 75 years of animation production BTFO. All tremble before the might of spiteful fanboyism. Oh wait, it's not even on your list! So...why are you here?

It’s times like this where I gotta credit @ycleped for responding with some semblance of maturity (even if I was a bit aggressive about defending my stance, like I generally am). We don’t get that too often with people defending a show someone criticizes.

See, it's one thing to mindlessly echo the importance and complexity of colors, it's another to actually explain why the "colors" in YU-NO are "abysmal". The extent of your laughable analysis is literally just "Abysmal colors", which again, further proves my very simple point that you're one of those wannabe critics; someone who's all talk, but doesn't actually understand what they're talking about.

Look honey, we live in a time where 99% of TV anime have a very simple color palette with minimal shading. You sound pretty comically pretentious having a whinge about colors of all things.
Apr 7, 2019 1:46 AM

Oct 2014
Laukku said:
I have to side with CodeBlazeFate on this point. Visually, this anime has honestly been mediocre so far. As bad as the earlier OVA was, you gotta admit it looked stellar, with vastly superior layouts and use of colour and perspective:

LOL

Sounds like you need to watch more pre-2000s anime.
Apr 7, 2019 1:52 AM

Oct 2014

What a stellar looking anime.
Apr 7, 2019 6:09 AM

Apr 2016
SightScreen said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
You know, the best part about all of this is that I don’t even need to attack the colors and designs in this show to dismantle your point.

My point? Huh? That you're a wannabe critic? Every post you make reinforced that notion.

I can just point to comic books and movies to tell you that colors are important. Are you telling me Captain America would be a good design if his color scheme was pink, lime green, and bague instead of red, white, and blue? You telling me Reinhard would have a good design wearing a neon orange uniform and silver hair? You telling me Darling in the FranXX still be popular if all of the generally great colors in the show were replaced and used haphazardly for its designs and world? You telling me that colors aren’t worth criticizing given how important they are to designs? Circa 100 years of comic book and film production, and circa 75 years of animation production BTFO. All tremble before the might of spiteful fanboyism. Oh wait, it's not even on your list! So...why are you here?

See, it's one thing to mindlessly echo the importance and complexity of colors, it's another to actually explain why the "colors" in YU-NO are "abysmal". The extent of your laughable analysis is literally just "Abysmal colors", which again, further proves my very simple point that you're one of those wannabe critics; someone who's all talk, but doesn't actually understand what they're talking about.

Look honey, we live in a time where 99% of TV anime have a very simple color palette with minimal shading. You sound pretty comically pretentious having a whinge about colors of all things.
So you want examples eh? Well you're onto something in that I'm not well-versed in color design, but I can tell when colors look like shit for me, and sometimes when they flat-out clash. I can just use the examples that @Laukku provided.

I cannot stand this shade of orange. I genuinely cannot stand this shade of orange, at least on this character with her red and white uniform and bright yellow bow tie. The design just looks terrible. I also hate the design of Kano.

It's also largely a design issue with the hair, but I don't like the orange hair with that hoodie.

The original design worked for that darker shade of brown and the green undershirt to help with the red jacket and dark brown hair. The new one looks so much worse with that light brown and purple and magenta. These and a few other designs really bother me with their colors. Granted, this isn't the worst series for that (looking at the Hand Shakers franchise there) and perhaps abysmal was exaggarative, but still, I'm not vibing with these colors or designs at all. They also feel lifeless and generic, which almost fits the lack of style or anything visually compelling the new anime has, but it just doesn't make for anything good visually. Compare this to the screenshots of the OVA which all have characters whose hair colors and designs matched a lot of the scenes they were in, emphasizing the vibe from the screenshots provided.

Also, yea a lot of anime have minimal shading and whatnot, but that's no excuse when Mob Psycho 100, Re:Creators, FranXX, Goblin Slayer (when it doesn't look muddy as hell), Dragon Maid, Bloom Into You, Zombieland Saga, Golden Kamuy, Yuru Camp, Kaguya-sama, Slime aka Tensura, Konosuba, and plenty of other anime throughout the past 3 years can have colors that aren't garish, ugly, or what have you. Yea sure, sometimes we get something like Pastel Memories which also looks like shit in every way imaginable, or Fate/Apocrypha where a lot of the designs are terrible without necessarily having any colors I just don't like looking at on those characters, but those seem to be the exception for most of what I've seen or even looked at clips or trailers of from this era of anime. Now, if you're so high and mighty about discrediting me and about challenging me to talk about these colors, how about you defend the colors and designs of what I attacked.

Then again, clearly you only mean to discredit and not actually argue given how you responded to me and how you just deflected Laukku's point by going "well you clearly need to watch MOAR of X anime" and then just used one screen shot out of context to go "clearly this looks good" in a sarcastic tone with nothing to it. You don't actually care about our points, you don't even have the show you're defending listed. You just wanna be a dick who discredits people without having to put much of any effort yourself, so this has ultimately been pointless, and I'm done here.
CodeBlazeFateApr 7, 2019 7:45 AM
Apr 7, 2019 11:13 AM

May 2017
After watching 10+ first episodes of newly airing shows, I can confidently say that the first episode of YU-NO was better than almost all of the others.

Hitori Bocchi ep 1 was pretty good, Kimetsu no Yaiba was good, Kono Oto Tomare! was also very good, and Fruits Basket was above average. Everything else, though... not great.

If I had to rank my top first episodes from this week (might change depending how Sarazanmai + Carole&Tuesday go), I'd have to say

1) Kono Oto Tomare
2) YU-NO
3) Kimetsu no Yaiba
4) Hitori Bocchi
5) Fruits Basket

The fact that people are rating any other shows besides these higher than YU-NO is hilarious.

The 6.57 rating this show currently has is an absolute sham. The first episode of YU-NO was fantastically directed and a great introduction to the story. Animation + sound were both great. I know I'm biased because I read the visual novel, but I have literally watched the first episode 3 times, that's how much I liked it.

I'm hoping people in the next few weeks realize the error in their ways. For now, it just seems like this show is the "trendy thing to hate".
Apr 7, 2019 3:31 PM
Feb 2009
I have no idea what's going on but will keep watching for now.
Apr 7, 2019 6:34 PM

Oct 2014
CodeBlazeFate said:
I cannot stand this shade of orange. I genuinely cannot stand this shade of orange,

Sure sure, Mr. Wannabe Critic
Apr 7, 2019 9:43 PM

Mar 2019
I think the show has a very good start. I will watch it till the end.
Apr 8, 2019 5:08 AM

Nov 2009
Never expected to hear Rie Kugimiya again excpet in Fairy Tail or Gintama.
This alone will make me watch it.
Apr 8, 2019 5:26 PM
Jul 2018
That episode was pure cringe. Not going to drop it based off of that, but I hope the jokes get better and the story a lot more interesting.
Apr 9, 2019 8:07 AM
Feb 2017
So there's an old ova of this, huh? I guess I will watch this one too.
Apr 10, 2019 12:39 AM

Mar 2009
ycleped said:

I'm hoping people in the next few weeks realize the error in their ways. For now, it just seems like this show is the "trendy thing to hate".

As far as I'm concerned, Fairy Gone and Shoumetsu Toshi are the two anime deserving to get dumped on this season. YU-NO's first episode was nowhere near as bad as those two. Otherwise, yeah, it's mostly lame shorts and only a handful of decent shows this season. So far.
Apr 11, 2019 4:42 PM

Jun 2013
i don't know what to think about this one but at least the tie travel stuff seems interesting.
Apr 12, 2019 4:12 AM

Apr 2018
Really weird and confusing. I don't know what to think about it. I'll give it a few episodes more.
Apr 14, 2019 7:08 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Solid first episode, for years I wanted to play the VN, currently waiting for the remake to be westernized, still no date in 2019...

First episode got my interest, kinda want to go and watch the second one right now too.

My only problem is that I dunno if watching the whole thing would be smart to someone that wants to play the remake...
Apr 18, 2019 5:30 PM

Jun 2016
Ugh. I might drop this one. Between the LOL HE SAID HE WANTS TO FUCK THIS GIRL XD type humor and the mind-numbing pacing, this isn't looking too good. I'll give it a few more episodes, though.
Apr 18, 2019 7:03 PM

May 2017
gotterdammerung said:
Ugh. I might drop this one. Between the LOL HE SAID HE WANTS TO FUCK THIS GIRL XD type humor and the mind-numbing pacing, this isn't looking too good. I'll give it a few more episodes, though.

Give it a good 7-8 episodes. Pay attention to all of the dialogue because it's pretty much all important (asides from the crude jokes which are a huge personality trait of the MC).
Apr 28, 2019 1:14 PM

Feb 2019
Just started it today! Not a big fan but I liked it enough to give it a chance. I thought the MC entertaining and the whole set up intrigued me. But it needs work. It seems to eagerly go for the easy laugh, lazy innuendo and just condescending tone overall. Still, I think there's some potential!
May 2, 2019 9:23 PM

Nov 2011
I think this is not a bad start for an adaptation of eroge, they highlighted the girls quite well..
Their research is weird though, they fused history with physics, I am not sure what Neumann space mean, I even googled it and found nothing lol ....
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 7, 2019 12:00 AM

May 2015
All I understood is that the mc has to gather the infinity stones
BTW this anime is milf galore, studio feel should be doing hentai instead.
May 14, 2019 6:40 AM
Jun 28, 2019 9:26 PM

Jul 2012
its very interesting but a bit confusing. so much stuff happened... the humour is ass too lol
Jul 8, 2019 4:52 PM

Aug 2017
Hey, I liked the start. Besides the annoying panty shot at the start, I like it.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 25, 2019 1:41 AM

Jun 2019
Good outfit just for the teacher.
And why I did not have such teachers?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 19, 2019 9:58 PM

Nov 2014
Kinda confusing. I feel like its trying to be serious with all those time travel stuff but the sexual innuendo and borderline harassment and the mc acting so idiotic at times just puts me off. Can't we have a show that focuses on time travel and no ecchi and hentai plz? Like steins gate? Not every show needs fanservice to make the fans happy y'know. Also the characters so far are kinda bland. Nothing really makes them interesting and makes me want to keep watching them. And not sure if it's a plot hole but how did his package get delivered INTO HIS HOME??
Aug 20, 2019 7:21 AM
Aug 2019
I’m starting to get major SAO vibes from the characters in this show now it’s in the Dela Granto arc ^_^
Aug 21, 2019 6:05 AM

Nov 2014
elementex said:
Giulia14 said:
Better than Steins Gate? You guys are over exaggerating a lot. I don't think this show has an even remote chance to be better than Steins Gate or surpass its score on MAL. It's just impossible.

Maybe not the original, but It could easily be better than steins gate 0

ycleped said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
It's not worth the chance when in the first 15 minutes, it doesn't even try. I know first episodes are not the end all be all, but when the first impression is this nauseating, hollow, and lacking in anything to remotely suggest that anyone should ever keep watching (like cool shots, fun dialogue, interesting plot threads, chemistry, literally anything), why should I? Just cuz I only barely made it to when things started happening (where the MC got that stone and thunder stuck the city twice)? It introducing the characters and setting is no excuse when the likes of Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate do that too but with cool shots, fun character dynamics, atmosphere, and like...things that can grab you and make you actually wanna endure all of the setup. As it is, I have no reason to care, and the show has flat-out wasted time in some instances (like that first scene). Plus, I don't see problems like the walking archetypes or the terrible visuals going away when the plot starts really kicking in. I gave it two chances, and I couldn't stomach even one episode either time.

I understand how you feel, and it's a shame. We'll be glad to have you back after the first cour has aired and the show is a contender for AOTY!

Yeah... keep hoping.

It's currently 6.44. I doubt it'll be able to reach higher than a 7.

Stein's Gate is a masterpiece for a reason.
Aug 21, 2019 6:07 AM

May 2017
ttcchen said:
elementex said:

Maybe not the original, but It could easily be better than steins gate 0

ycleped said:

I understand how you feel, and it's a shame. We'll be glad to have you back after the first cour has aired and the show is a contender for AOTY!

Yeah... keep hoping.

It's actually on pace to reach higher than a 7. Search up 'MAL 1/5 rule' on Google and you'll see what I mean.
Aug 21, 2019 6:11 AM

Nov 2014
Playcool said:
Solid first episode, for years I wanted to play the VN, currently waiting for the remake to be westernized, still no date in 2019...

First episode got my interest, kinda want to go and watch the second one right now too.

My only problem is that I dunno if watching the whole thing would be smart to someone that wants to play the remake...
VN coming onto Steam this year october
Aug 21, 2019 6:13 AM

Nov 2014
ycleped said:
ttcchen said:

Yeah... keep hoping.

It's actually on pace to reach higher than a 7. Search up 'MAL 1/5 rule' on Google and you'll see what I mean.
i know that. But even if it reach 7 thats still not a good score, not good enough for y'all to call it AOTY or Stein's Gate level masterpiece. I've only watched 1 eps of this so its not really my place to say it but just from this awful 1st eps u can already tell this show isn't going great.
Aug 21, 2019 6:26 AM

May 2017
ttcchen said:
ycleped said:

i know that. But even if it reach 7 thats still not a good score, not good enough for y'all to call it AOTY or Stein's Gate level masterpiece. I've only watched 1 eps of this so its not really my place to say it but just from this awful 1st eps u can already tell this show isn't going great.

It's on episode 20 already and I think it's pretty great and still better than Steins;Gate's adaptation.
Aug 21, 2019 6:32 AM

Nov 2014
ycleped said:
ttcchen said:

It's on episode 20 already and I think it's pretty great and still better than Steins;Gate's adaptation.
well that's your opinion
Aug 21, 2019 1:31 PM

May 2017
ttcchen said:
ycleped said:

well that's your opinion

Yup, it is my opinion lol
Sep 2, 2019 5:58 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
ttcchen said:
Playcool said:

VN coming onto Steam this year october

Yeah, it was announced during the summer, thank god it is not far away, seems like it will be a really LONG read too, perfect for getting in the mood for fall.
It also is released when the last episode airs in japan, so whoever was in charge of the decision knows what he is doing for sure.
Sep 2, 2019 6:52 PM

Sep 2008
Interesting start, but cramming all this into the first episode wasn't good. Still, I enjoy feel's VN adaptations. Hoping for something at least as good as Waremete or Island. They have 26 episodes to work with this time so hopefully they slow down the pace in later episodes.
Oct 5, 2019 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
I'm a 100% anime only fan so my impression of this episode and series won't be because of any preconceived effects of any source material whether it be VN or LN
That being said

I liked the first episode. I got hooked for sure and I'll be watching more from this series.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Nov 9, 2019 2:44 PM

Jul 2015
Interesting first episode, a lot better than the first episode of the first adaptation of this series, that was a real mess

Hopefully they don't skip too much of the original source

Got some Steins;gate vibes here, I like the unique personality of the maincharacter he is quite the pervert

Nov 12, 2019 4:29 AM

Sep 2012
sins mc friend mentioned hes crush getting easly trigeted by mc it was obvious hes crush has a crush on mc

and mc's char 😂

old guy feel like clasic tomb raider villain
Sugram22Nov 12, 2019 4:56 AM
Jul 16, 2020 1:03 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Solid first episode, much to my surprise.

Filled with Questions of course but the unique personality of the main character was fun to keep up with. Damn, the teachers are quite sexy too...

Definitely up for more. Mystery wasn't the finest this episode but more than enough to get me curious.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 3, 2022 8:48 AM
Jun 2021
One most lame and pathetic anime i ever watch, this show was just disgusting ,till the very end i didn't get what they are tying to do. And all the sexual harrasment makes this anime just more worst by seeing other reviews if think this anime could be then just watch 5 episode and if like it then watch , because anime will be same this just worst. I don't satisfied at all at any moments , i only feel frustrated so be careful before starting this anime.
Oct 3, 2022 8:49 AM
Jun 2021
One most lame and pathetic anime i ever watch, this show was just disgusting ,till the very end i didn't get what they are tying to do. And all the sexual harrasment makes this anime just more worst by seeing other reviews if think this anime could be then just watch 5 episode and if like it then watch , because anime will be same this just worst. I don't satisfied at all at any moments , i only feel frustrated so be careful before starting this anime.
May 31, 2023 5:21 PM
Jan 2022
misogynistic shounen anime, not unexpected but unpleasant nonetheless
May 16, 8:50 AM
Jun 2022
They Build Up Something Serious & Then Useless Strip Ruins All Of It . Another Quick Drop!
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2019

83 by RGreatDanton »»
May 16, 6:59 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2019

88 by RGreatDanton »»
May 16, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2019

137 by RepeaterSiroop »»
Feb 16, 12:25 PM

» About Hatano Kanna (Spoilers)

ginchan789 - Apr 10, 2019

42 by RyuuanLinke »»
Feb 7, 11:09 AM

» This anime is underrated

saikyozero - Apr 1, 2023

8 by ShivamLH »»
Jan 18, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.