Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 6, 2020 2:28 PM

Feb 2018
I've been begging for more of these SOL episodes where we get to know the characters outside of the lens of "how good are they at volleyball?". Wish we had more of this.

Also, I think Kiyoko could have a harem waiting for her if she wanted it lol. It's nice the girls got at least A LITTLE dialogue that didn't have anything to do with Karasuno's volleyball club.

Shoyo very nearly had his "lucky perv" moment. I am sorry, buddy.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Mar 6, 2020 2:33 PM

Mar 2017
OMFG, I think I'm more nervous than they are, especially after seeing all the teams together at the end! I can't wait to see not only how much Karasuno has improved but also the other schools too. The hype is real!

I'm so happy to see all my volleyball sons together again, even if some of them are on competing sides haha
Mar 6, 2020 2:39 PM

Feb 2011
Here we are at last ! This is where the real sequel starts :)
Mar 6, 2020 2:45 PM

Mar 2016
let's get itttttt, this episode was cute, funny and had a lot of charm.

i got so excited seeing all these old faces, the anticipationnn.

"PHOENIX" being played by the orchestra at the end was a very nice touch too.

i can't wait for next week!

"it's starting, the battle on the orange court!"

Mar 6, 2020 3:26 PM

Oct 2018
My favorite team will finally appears, so hype for them and please don't ruin that.
Mar 6, 2020 3:47 PM

Jul 2017
that was a nice buildup episode shame there were less ship moments smh
Really excited to finally get to see the spring tournament

Now the real question is if the animation is indeed being saved up for this moment or if it's gonna remain less than usual as the rest
Mar 6, 2020 4:22 PM
Nov 2016
It's finally here! Spring Tournament!
Can't wait to see the boys in action.
Mar 6, 2020 4:53 PM
Feb 2020
Retolee said:
This episode really showed off a lot of the problems with the art and animation this season. A lot of not moving and off model shots, and this was supposed to hype us up for the tournament finally starting,

i definitely agree, but it's strange because some moments were animated quite beautifully but most of the episode felt like quite a dip in quality
Mar 6, 2020 4:53 PM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode as always.

The comedy is top notch as always, I don't know how they do it, it keeps this show so consistently amusing all the time.

Tsukki is such a stern babysitter. xD

Nishinoya with his 'lucky perv' moment was just pure gold and Ryu getting totally flustered after realizing his childhood friend was a 'girl' was top tier as well. XD
HEY! HEY! HEY! Bokuto the man is here. XD

OP as the orchestra was awesome, I hope there's a full fledged track release of that at some point.
Maximum hype at the end, I can't wait for the upcoming episodes. It's gonna be so awesome.
Mar 6, 2020 5:19 PM

Mar 2020
Spring Tournament! Let's gooo!!
Can't wait for next episode!

By the way, why was Noya's uniform black??
Mar 6, 2020 5:26 PM

Dec 2013
I can’t blame everyone for being nervous. I feel a bit nervous from watching them.

I didn’t realise that Tanaka had a childhood friend who plays volleyball. They probably mentioned her but I can’t remember.

Everyone arriving at the stadium got me hyped.
Mar 6, 2020 5:56 PM
Apr 2016
Shealyna said:

For consistency when they line up i guess. Komori and Yaku also had the same uniform colours as everyone else.
Mar 6, 2020 6:12 PM

Nov 2019
Dope 5/5 Episode
They finally made it to the tournament :))))))
Mar 6, 2020 6:32 PM

Oct 2009
This episode was pure gold, I wish I could rate it higher than a 5. From Daichi's nightmare and through everyone's New Year's moments, all of them exhibiting their usual traits, but really being such a team by now that anyone instinctively knows how to deal with anyone else - I dunno what to say if somebody can't enjoy these candid, off-court scenes. The visit to a legit shrine, and then discovering a de facto gathering at the gym because that's their shrine... The captain's stare acting like Aizawa's Erasure on the three troublemakers; everyone being nervous and Tsukki being the big standoffish tsundere; even the little comments on how Suga would just encourage the "bad kids" or how he studies to stay calm and Asahi being so much into that video like a little kid.... And then of course we only to see the girls in the bath. Should've figured. Although the morning of the opening ceremony made up for it: with Lucky Ero Noya (such an incredible contrast to Karasuno's Guardian Deity), with the Ryuu.exe crash, and Hinata and Kageyama being like "famous people" and knowing others, and then Bokuto and Nekoma showing up... And then of course the music and lining up for battle.

I think this is what pre-championship days should be like, and it's extremely nice that an anime could finally take the time to present them "in full", as opposed to narrating a few slides, or just completely glossing over it. Of course, it also doubles as a full slice-of-life episode, which I think makes it even better, because those usually suffer the same time constraints in sports anime. The fact that it was done by Haikyuu!! is just the cherry on top. Absolutely loved it.

As a sidenote: with all the complaints about the animation, I can't help wondering how many of you watch Daiya, especially the current season... xD
yellowheartrenMar 6, 2020 6:42 PM
Mar 6, 2020 8:04 PM
Apr 2018
The hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype! The long wait is over guys, we're finally here.

Phoenix orchestra version, I NEED IT.
Mar 6, 2020 8:29 PM
Mar 2015
The boys finally made it to the big dance
Mar 6, 2020 8:51 PM
Aug 2018
Shealyna said:

Libero always have different Colour dress
Cuz they switch a lot during match
Mar 6, 2020 8:52 PM
Aug 2018
Awesome episode!!
Always wanted to see More sawamura scene and their life outside volleyball
So excited for next episode 😍😍
Mar 6, 2020 8:52 PM
Aug 2018
Awesome episode!!
Always wanted to see More sawamura scene and their life outside volleyball
So excited for next episode 😍😍
Mar 6, 2020 11:12 PM
Sep 2019
Listening to Phoenix in that opening ceremony felt so good to listen to.

Also Tanaka has a real banger of a female friend!!
Mar 7, 2020 2:05 AM
Jul 2018
A more slice of life episode. I'm very happy to see the characters outside of their sporting activity. I would love so many more similar episodes.

Kiyoko is truly sublime, I admit. I understand that the boys are completely bewitched.

Hayashi's OSTs are working so well once again. I also remember the orchestral version of Phoenix. <3
Mar 7, 2020 2:28 AM
Jan 2020
Phoenix instrumental in the opening ceremony was hype.
Daft Punk is love, Daft Punk is life

Mar 7, 2020 3:07 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
About darn time! Finally, it's time for the Nationals!

Gee, the instrumental version of the Op for the start of the Opening Ceremony is just too bloody hype! It's no surprise to see Karasuno nervous but I can't wait to see how they'll fare from the country's best teams!

Lots of gold SOL moments during the first half though. Simply priceless to see more of these interactions, especially of the seniors. Sawamura with the horrid dream at the start, lol definitely the worst first dream to have of any year. And Kiyoko-san is gorgeous as ever! Damn, dat bath scene though. Sorry Ryu and Nishinoya-san, xD.

Ryu's drunk sister, Kageyama's jog, Nishinoya-san's worthy challenger and Hinata's casual stroll followed by Daichi-san's confirmation - just brilliant! Ryu realizing that his past acquaintance was finally become a "girl" bit and Nishinoya's dream cut short was some fantastic moments too!

Animation was off for the most bit, quite admittedly, but I can't wait to see what's in store for us next! Love that "oh-wow-wow, oh-wow-wow, woah" theme too, just perfect for the Competition, I bet we're going to see this accompany us for some incredible ride due up next!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 7, 2020 3:18 AM
Oct 2018
The music in this episode was absolutely great! It really suited the atmosphere.
Mar 7, 2020 4:07 AM

Jun 2007
Kageyama jogging in the new years morning is so me haha
why is even Yachi so damn nervous around Shimizu... what's wrong with her, or rather maybe with Shimizu.... i don't get the hype about that breadcrumbing megane girl but whatever
hope they are gonna do us good with the grand finale! (animation-wise)
see you, space cowperson . . .
Mar 7, 2020 5:00 AM

May 2015
The season was pretty enjoyable so far but this episode was the best. So much excitement at the end. The competition really seems huge with all these schools lined up, it's understandable to feel nervous in such an atmosphere and to actually win would be so cool!

I liked the bits with Shimizu and Yachi, it's not so much we actually know about the girls, so it was nice to see. Nishinoya and his lucky moment, lol. The beginning with the shrine was interesting too. Also, I wonder if the "awesome" video could be made into a special for all of us to see.
Mar 7, 2020 5:06 AM

Mar 2019
one would think I'm here for the boiz or the sport!!
But I'm only here for Shimizu's casual clothings, bath scenes and her laughter!!
Mar 7, 2020 5:45 AM
Apr 2016
A calm and wholesome episode right before the big stuff begins... Can't wait for the next episode!
Mar 7, 2020 6:29 AM

Mar 2018
Was really trying my best not to cry in this episode. God I love this show. This season has been a bit slow compared to the other ones but you can fell that's it's gonna get fucking amazing from now on.
Mar 7, 2020 7:52 AM

Mar 2020
Anand58 said:
Shealyna said:

Libero always have different Colour dress
Cuz they switch a lot during match

Yes I know. But in this episode, Noya's uniform was the same color as everyone else and I was just wondering why
Mar 7, 2020 8:11 AM
Feb 2020
Blue_Flame18 said:
Alright then, time to find out if the animation will finally improve
Yep, lets see if Production I.G will bless us or buther the whole franchise
Mar 7, 2020 8:13 AM
Feb 2020
Retolee said:
This episode really showed off a lot of the problems with the art and animation this season. A lot of not moving and off model shots, and this was supposed to hype us up for the tournament finally starting,
Yep, most of the character models were off and the detail in art looked like a general seasonal school anime for some reason
Mar 7, 2020 11:35 AM

Jul 2016
Oh God, the hype is real. The Nationals are finally here!

Great build-up episode. Literally can't wait for the boys' first match!
Mar 7, 2020 11:59 AM

Mar 2012
Yooo, they made an orchestra version of the opening for essentially the Nationals introduction! That's sooo neat!

As a manga reader, I will just say get ready for an exhilarating ride on the hype train... though the main brunt of it will come in the second cour. D: Regardless, HYPE!
Mar 7, 2020 1:57 PM

Apr 2012
Every time i finish an episode of Haikyuu I want it to be next week.
Every god damn time.
I love this anime!
Mar 7, 2020 3:49 PM

Dec 2016
Nishinoya never cease to amaze me with his fantasies XD lol and also Tanaka.

I'm getting very curious about Shimizu's scars >> I wonder how it looks like...

Playing the opening song in orchestra mode while all teams entered the court was a very nice touch! ^^

Nice episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 7, 2020 5:05 PM

Jun 2015
SleepySnowSpirit said:
Not a bad start to the season, let’s get hyped for the 2nd ep next week!!

They should've released it as OVAs if they were going to make it 5 episodes long. Maybe then we could have some decent animation (?)
Mar 7, 2020 9:14 PM
Apr 2016
Perrito said:
SleepySnowSpirit said:
Not a bad start to the season, let’s get hyped for the 2nd ep next week!!

They should've released it as OVAs if they were going to make it 5 episodes long. Maybe then we could have some decent animation (?)

That makes no sense. You missed the entire point of the first few eps which are a good chunk of Hinata and Kageyama's character arcs. and if that happens y'all are just gonna complain about how it's "out of nowhere" when karasuno suddenly gets power-ups in nationals. There are a shit ton of moments later on that refer back to that arc and will not make sense if it was cut.

I'm pretty sure it's because you guys watched it weekly and didn't binge it. I don't see the same comments about the Season 2 training arc which didn't have any matches for many episodes either.
Mar 7, 2020 9:18 PM
Jan 2016
Only one word...Goosebumps..
Mar 8, 2020 1:53 AM

Nov 2018
after all this time i just came to realize that the color scheme really is exceptionally beautiful
Mar 8, 2020 5:43 AM

Feb 2012
Shealyna said:

It's just for the opening ceremony, I guess it looks better. All the liberos were wearing the same uniform as the other players in their teams.
Mar 8, 2020 6:19 AM

Nov 2013
this has been by far the dullest installment of haikyuu, i seriously hope it gets better from here. also some of the characters look weird as fuck half the time now
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 8, 2020 7:06 AM
Mar 2020
I like the fact that after season three, they gave us the opportunity to see how they prepare mentally and physically and how their connections with other teams develop. Also the fact, that all of them are fighting and try to read h a higher place than they already are.

I like this episode, not one of my favorites, but we got to see the whole team outside of the gym. The creators remind us that they have a life besides volleyball, and now stronger than ever, they will enter court for the nationals. I'm super super excited to see what is coming.
Mar 8, 2020 7:45 AM

Oct 2009
Kyouko♥
That is all. 10/10
Mar 8, 2020 10:05 AM
Feb 2020
Tsukizono said:
Perrito said:

That makes no sense. You missed the entire point of the first few eps which are a good chunk of Hinata and Kageyama's character arcs. and if that happens y'all are just gonna complain about how it's "out of nowhere" when karasuno suddenly gets power-ups in nationals. There are a shit ton of moments later on that refer back to that arc and will not make sense if it was cut.

I'm pretty sure it's because you guys watched it weekly and didn't binge it. I don't see the same comments about the Season 2 training arc which didn't have any matches for many episodes either.
But at least Season 2 traning ark had good animation and great pacing with a great Director working on it.
Mar 8, 2020 12:55 PM

Mar 2010
Ennoshita: Kageyama, where are you going?!
Kageyama: I'm going for a jog.

Next episode:
Mar 8, 2020 3:01 PM
Mar 2019
I caught something off with Nishinoya and Nekoma's libero clothing, shouldn't they have different colored uniform than their teammates?
Mar 8, 2020 3:24 PM
Mar 2019
yellowheartren said:
This episode was pure gold, I wish I could rate it higher than a 5. From Daichi's nightmare and through everyone's New Year's moments, all of them exhibiting their usual traits, but really being such a team by now that anyone instinctively knows how to deal with anyone else - I dunno what to say if somebody can't enjoy these candid, off-court scenes. The visit to a legit shrine, and then discovering a de facto gathering at the gym because that's their shrine... The captain's stare acting like Aizawa's Erasure on the three troublemakers; everyone being nervous and Tsukki being the big standoffish tsundere; even the little comments on how Suga would just encourage the "bad kids" or how he studies to stay calm and Asahi being so much into that video like a little kid.... And then of course we only to see the girls in the bath. Should've figured. Although the morning of the opening ceremony made up for it: with Lucky Ero Noya (such an incredible contrast to Karasuno's Guardian Deity), with the Ryuu.exe crash, and Hinata and Kageyama being like "famous people" and knowing others, and then Bokuto and Nekoma showing up... And then of course the music and lining up for battle.

I think this is what pre-championship days should be like, and it's extremely nice that an anime could finally take the time to present them "in full", as opposed to narrating a few slides, or just completely glossing over it. Of course, it also doubles as a full slice-of-life episode, which I think makes it even better, because those usually suffer the same time constraints in sports anime. The fact that it was done by Haikyuu!! is just the cherry on top. Absolutely loved it.

As a sidenote: with all the complaints about the animation, I can't help wondering how many of you watch Daiya, especially the current season... xD
Please don't tell me the animation for Daiya no Ace took an extreme dip, because I was planning on watching it when it ended
Mar 8, 2020 3:53 PM

Apr 2009
Showing the old animation and art-style in the episode were the characters looked like dog shitto half of the time was not a good move.

Daichi looked constipated.

Mar 8, 2020 4:59 PM

Jun 2015
Paak said:
Tsukizono said:

But at least Season 2 traning ark had good animation and great pacing with a great Director working on it.

>pace
The magical word. Season 2 training arc was waaay better paced, better directed and was even more technical than this one. And that's not taking into account the hideous animation this season has. But that fanboy just won't accept it and will keep repeating himself.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

178 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

109 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 6:19 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

95 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 5:52 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

94 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 11, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

70 by iamsnakeuu »»
Jun 9, 10:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.