Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 30, 2020 2:04 PM

Aug 2019
So far, this is my favourite non-sequel anime this season.

The past few episodes have been emotional.

Jan 30, 2020 2:10 PM
Oct 2019
Another feel from newest episode of Somali
Jan 30, 2020 3:08 PM

Feb 2019
This is going to destroy me at the end. I'm going to be so Fucking broken. "I fear I may have to." Fuck, man. I'm not ready. Got me over here in tears man. Golem trying to learn to empathise with human emotions and how to be a parent was simply beautiful. There's no parenting 101 guidebook, it's really just trying to do your best each and every day and supporting/loving your kids.
Jan 30, 2020 3:50 PM

Aug 2018
Another really beautiful episode, I can't restrain myself but to think the whole story won't have an happy ending... but right now I only desire to watch their relationship growing up and their journey being longer & longer, with a lot of meetings
Jan 30, 2020 3:52 PM
May 2019
Petition to change the name to "Somali and the wholesome golem."
Jan 30, 2020 3:54 PM

Sep 2017
Lovely episode as always, that shot of the tree was really gorgeous

Folder updated up to episode 4 !
https://imgur.com/a/d8FjvVZ
Jan 30, 2020 5:46 PM
May 2016
I don't think any of us are going to emotionally prepared for the end of this series
Jan 30, 2020 5:50 PM

Aug 2018
When he made that promise I felt very sad because we all know how this is going to end
9/10
Jan 30, 2020 6:48 PM

Sep 2017
This anime has really improved episode after episode, making an emotionless character relatable is no easy feat.

The episode overall was lovely.

Jan 30, 2020 7:18 PM

Apr 2019
I've got a feeling that this series ending is gonna be heart breaking
Jan 30, 2020 8:11 PM

Apr 2017
Damn, This episode was very good.
i'm really not ready for the end of this anime, I'm sure I'll cry at the end.
Riel404Jan 30, 2020 8:19 PM
Jan 30, 2020 8:26 PM

Aug 2019
usually I don’t want an anime to have ass pulls but for once I really hope it does because if the golem ends up dying by the end of this show it would probably kill me
Jan 30, 2020 8:29 PM

Jul 2016
The Golem making the promise of always staying by Somali's side almost got me, not gonna lie. Can't imagine how I will handle the moment when his time runs out.

Excellent episode.
Jan 30, 2020 9:16 PM

Oct 2019
Oh no that last line gave me 'I'm sorry I had to break my promise' Maquia vibes and I cried a lot in that movie

I'm scared this is gonna end really sadly
Jan 30, 2020 11:35 PM

Aug 2016
Everytime i watch new episode my mind is set on completely different things ... Where are the humans ? I don't believe they just lost the war, now way. How can anyone not found out that somali is a human ? Do they not have noses or something ? Im in a stage where i dont care about the story of somali and golem, but about the story of the setting.

Possibly it is because it has some layer that repels the smell of human or maybe they can't really smell humans these monsters.
Jan 30, 2020 11:50 PM

Dec 2017
i thought episode 3-4 is filler and I even went and checked out the manga

and so Why did the studio make Time Skip after Chapter 5 and went to Chapter 14 and 15? ~ _ ~

Comment: I never expected that Musurika cat to be Kikiila's teacher

Also: Poor Somali, it's good that she recovered from fever ^ _ ^
Jan 30, 2020 11:51 PM
Mar 2019
Somali was cute as always :)

I like the way they make the bunny's fur rustle when he's pissed off.

I wonder where the story will go concerning whether other humans are still alive or if they can find Somali's family.
J891319Jan 31, 2020 12:05 AM
Jan 31, 2020 12:12 AM

Jun 2012
A good medicine is always bitter. That analogy could be used for this anime as well.
Jan 31, 2020 12:20 AM
Apr 2018
I cried a lot. Man, four episodes and it already messed up my emotions.
Jan 31, 2020 2:05 AM

Jul 2014
Somali is too sweet, what a cinnamon roll..
I almost teared up in the end when he promises her he'll be with her forever even after know that's actually impossible T_T
Jan 31, 2020 2:18 AM

Jul 2016
Sacerdotisa said:
Everytime i watch new episode my mind is set on completely different things ... Where are the humans ? I don't believe they just lost the war, now way. How can anyone not found out that somali is a human ? Do they not have noses or something ? Im in a stage where i dont care about the story of somali and golem, but about the story of the setting.

Possibly it is because it has some layer that repels the smell of human or maybe they can't really smell humans these monsters.

Probably the latter option.I mean the human smell thing has only been noticed by one monster so far so that could totally be an ability exclusive to that monster.
Jan 31, 2020 2:47 AM

Jul 2017
So the Big Bad Wolf isn''t bad at all, he's part of a team of protectors of Anthole Town to stop people from entering into unprotected areas like where Somali and woolly Kikila is at now: the Underground Realm.

Despite that, Somali wants to venture further, and with help from the Master, they got approval, ONLY if they stayed by his side a.k.a babysitting.

Alas, they're not out of trouble, but the "Guardian" of the Yozame Tree gave the go-ahead from Somali for wish-granting, which is just nice and warm. Even worse, Golem Dad doesn't approve of Somali being a stray, I'd admit that he's being too harsh, but in an universe where parenting isn't so much of a second thought, precautions MUST be taken, and no second chances can be given.

To Golem Dad's thought, Master Muthrica vetoed his thoughts: "A true parent does not rule their child with fear." To add on, Golem Dad's calculations upon himself ceased at the many times he could detect abnormalies within Somali, but failed to do so when opportunities count.

"There's no such thing as a perfect parent." To sum the woolly parent's family, a parent-child relationship, a term Golem Dad has to carry it well. The promise from the Yozame flower pretty much confirms Somali's wishes for Golem Dad to stay together, even after his future demise (death flag raised SO SOON?).

But with the impending future, Golem Dad may have to intervene in ways we don't know as of yet (you'd know if you read the manga).

Another perfect episode, and the tears just can't stop coming, AND IT'S ONLY Episode 4, this journey is only 1/3 done!
Jan 31, 2020 2:58 AM
Mar 2019
KANLen09 said:
So the Big Bad Wolf isn''t bad at all, he's part of a team of protectors of Anthole Town to stop people from entering into unprotected areas like where Somali and woolly Kikila is at now: the Underground Realm.

Despite that, Somali wants to venture further, and with help from the Master, they got approval, ONLY if they stayed by his side a.k.a babysitting.

Alas, they're not out of trouble, but the "Guardian" of the Yozame Tree gave the go-ahead from Somali for wish-granting, which is just nice and warm. Even worse, Golem Dad doesn't approve of Somali being a stray, I'd admit that he's being too harsh, but in an universe where parenting isn't so much of a second thought, precautions MUST be taken, and no second chances can be given.

To Golem Dad's thought, Master Muthrica vetoed his thoughts: "A true parent does not rule their child with fear." To add on, Golem Dad's calculations upon himself ceased at the many times he could detect abnormalies within Somali, but failed to do so when opportunities count.

"There's no such thing as a perfect parent." To sum the woolly parent's family, a parent-child relationship, a term Golem Dad has to carry it well. The promise from the Yozame flower pretty much confirms Somali's wishes for Golem Dad to stay together, even after his future demise (death flag raised SO SOON?).

But with the impending future, Golem Dad may have to intervene in ways we don't know as of yet (you'd know if you read the manga).

Another perfect episode, and the tears just can't stop coming, AND IT'S ONLY Episode 4, this journey is only 1/3 done!

really impressive what they could do in such a limited amount of time.
I hope it has a fulfilling ending.
Jan 31, 2020 3:18 AM

Nov 2013
Missaliensan said:
Swagernator said:

Yeah because when the bunny character opened the door the look of surprise made think for a second that it was because they discovered she was a human…It’s weird because i feel they would found out she was a human by now.It seems like thing about the monsters being able to smell out humans was dropped completely.
Well, not all the monsters have the ability to "detect" humans. But who says that the wolf-guy doesn't know? After all, he's been a soldier in war against humans, so it's possible he knew from the very beginning. But he is probably one of FEW monsters who'd rather keep that secret to themselves.
Sigmar-UnberogenJan 31, 2020 3:21 AM
Jan 31, 2020 6:51 AM

Feb 2014
Muthrica nailed it when he said to Golem "A true parent must not inspire fear into their child". Those words really do hit home when you think about how Golem doesn't feel emotions and is learning step by step in how to understand human emotions better.

The whole episode was filled with a lot of emotions. Happiness when Muthrica took Somali and Kikila further underground to find a flower that can survive a trip back home, then came fear when the guardian creature arrived after Somali picked one of the flowers out, then finally relief when Somali's words were enough to persuade the guardian.

Afterwards, Golem telling off Somali left her upset, which was understandable, but the fact that she caught a fever meant that Golem used up all the money that he made from his job so far in order to get a medicine that works for her.

This whole scene towards the end of the episode did leave me feeling emotional and tears were shed. It's tough for Golem to make a promise to Somali that he knows that he can't keep, due to him nearing the end of his lifespan, but for the sake of Somali's pure happiness, he does say yes. Golem's lifespan nearing its end was something that Muthrica also noticed as well and mentioned this to him, along with more wise words, before he departed.

We're only on episode 4, so to have this emotional episode already, I can't even begin to think what might come later on. I don't think my poor heart can take it when we get to the final episode. =(
Jan 31, 2020 10:01 AM

Feb 2018
Oh my god 82 '5 stars', 15 '4 stars', but where are the mandatory 3,2,1 stars?? !!!!!!!!

This is epic
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Jan 31, 2020 11:06 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm the relationship between the father and daughter...priceless
Jan 31, 2020 11:31 AM

Mar 2015
Can't Somali be a good girl for once.
Jan 31, 2020 2:41 PM
Apr 2019
Groenboys said:
If this episode already broke my heart I will not be able to survive the end
I'm feeling the same ;_;
Jan 31, 2020 8:02 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
jungsae said:
four episodes in and i already cried thrice, my god what is this show even

Same...This is why I don't want to watch this whenever a new episode comes out...I don't want to cry T_T

I loved the talk about how it's not possible to be a perfect parent, but when you do something that makes your child sad, you should apologize and let them know you care. That's so important. Tbh, that's important in any relationship unless you don't care.

Jan 31, 2020 8:32 PM

May 2019
Damn, some serious questions posed about the end of the series in this episode. The tone could turn really dark; I'm loving it from a psychological standpoint.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 31, 2020 11:11 PM
Oct 2013
Literally been in tears since the first episode. And love that he feels too and seeing him make less practical choices so that he can make Somali better and happier. Literally still crying rn
Jan 31, 2020 11:54 PM
Oct 2017
the lizard was weak against the feels
Feb 1, 2020 2:12 AM

Mar 2019
Somali's whole existance screams PROTECC, but even when he made her cry I couldn't help but to feel bad for him, it's pretty obvious that even if he doesn't know and understand it that he cares about her alot ..

when He promised her at the end made me sure that I'll be bawling at the end of this series!
Feb 1, 2020 12:26 PM

Aug 2018
Missaliensan said:
Swagernator said:

Yeah because when the bunny character opened the door the look of surprise made think for a second that it was because they discovered she was a human…It’s weird because i feel they would found out she was a human by now.It seems like thing about the monsters being able to smell out humans was dropped completely.
Yeah,I also found the setting questionable.She is just putting up a hoodie and nobody notices that.They don't bother with the smell part.They have not given an explanation about that.I do believe that Golem might have made a perfume which makes her smell like a Minatour.That's just speculation from my part.
Feb 1, 2020 10:08 PM

Oct 2008
so much feels again! the moment that Somali hugged Golem!
5/5.

Feb 1, 2020 10:25 PM

May 2013
My cold dead heart is melting T,T

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Feb 2, 2020 2:24 AM

Apr 2015
It's so simple, but then

So many other shows can't even do those simple things correctly.
Feb 2, 2020 5:35 AM

Jul 2014
An episode where Golem learns how to be a better parent somewhat, rather than desperately rushing to get rid of Somali to the humans.
Feb 2, 2020 7:03 AM

Feb 2011
i cried twice during this episode
9/10 <3

Feb 3, 2020 12:03 AM

Mar 2008
got a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. everything hurts

aaaahhhhh
Feb 3, 2020 4:29 PM

Nov 2011
My heart is going to shatter when our Golem is going to break his promise. T_T
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 3, 2020 8:43 PM

Sep 2018
Muthrica is nice! I thought he's a villain.

Golem-san said Somali is more important than money! Wahhh that's so sweet! I'm always sad every episode because he might go away soon huhuhu
Feb 4, 2020 3:20 AM

Mar 2018
Damn, only the 4th episode and I was at the verge of crying, I don't remember an anime that's done that to me yet; that means, this will probably break me at the end worse than some other animes I've seen... Looking forward to that tho, I accept the risk of feeling the feeliest feels!!
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline 😅
Feb 4, 2020 10:10 AM

May 2015
Very noice episode
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 4, 2020 3:41 PM

Sep 2019
Yet again, this episode made me emotional. Knowing that his time isn't for long... he still made the promise with somali. False hope doesn't go well... I wonder how will this end. Nevertheless, i guess the journey is still long. I'm afraid i might need some more tissues.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Feb 5, 2020 12:31 AM

Dec 2018
The wolf turned out to be a good guy!! And ending up babysitting!!

I find it a bit strange those creatures have been in a genocide war with humans!! They seem to be rather peaceful then anything else!!

Feb 5, 2020 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
The lizard monster was defeated by the power of love.

This is nothing like Made in Abyss after all.
Feb 5, 2020 11:57 PM

Oct 2017
A very emotional episode. I almost teared up when he said that he fears he won't be able to keep that promise.
Feb 6, 2020 7:01 AM

Oct 2018
I should be crying, this story is so sad but for some reason I am not able to. :/
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

114 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

kuuderes_shadow - Oct 25, 2019

205 by Muow »»
Dec 26, 2023 6:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.